Author Topic: Anime/Grand M@sterthread - 86 gacha rolls & still no FMP Finale  (Read 101055 times)

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
Re: Anime/Grand M@sterthread - 86 gacha rolls & still no FMP Finale
« Reply #60 on: 27 June 2021, 12:19:53 »
"Quirky" characters and psuedoscience technobabble.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Mecha82

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Some things never change
« Reply #61 on: 27 June 2021, 12:27:33 »
Like I said before, it felt like a lower quality knockoff of Otherside Picnic.

I have no idea what that is so I can't say how accurate that might be.
Star Captain John Malthus, Kappa Galaxy, Clan Jade Falcon 
Star Captain Johannes Bekker, Delta Galaxy, Clan Ghost Bear 
Captain John Bailey, 1st Avalon Hussars, Federated Suns  
Tai-i Jiro Takahashi, 2nd Legion of Vega, Draconis Combine

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #62 on: 27 June 2021, 12:31:57 »
It was an anime that came out two seasons ago.  It's on Funimation if you want to check it out (I recommend it).

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

kato

• Captain
« Reply #63 on: 27 June 2021, 13:07:50 »

a) It's utterly ridiculous how many isekai anime there are next season (i'm counting about 10-12 depending on how you interpret the term). On international streaming platforms we'll probably have about 50% isekai content this summer.

b) Sonny Boy, one of those, seems to be based on a modified version of the 1970s manga Drifting Classroom and makes heavy references to it. That manga itself is basically an isekai Lord of the Flies with a setting not all that dissimilar from Blue Gender. It seems the guy behind Uninhabited Planet Survive is also involved, for those who remember that.

TheoLehman

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #64 on: 27 June 2021, 18:21:03 »
So I take that you didn't like story, characters and science behind things. Sure if you only watched it for Godzilla you might not like it but I didn't go in to it thinking that Godzilla being in it is main point of series. It was those other things that kept me hooked to series from episode 1 to episode 13. I do also like how they made Jet Jaguar his own character compared to silent Ultraman inspired robot that he was in that one Showa era movie.   
Godzilla's name is the first word of the title, so I think a person could be forgiven for expecting it to be primarily about Godzilla.

Mecha82

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #65 on: 28 June 2021, 08:11:18 »
Godzilla's name is the first word of the title, so I think a person could be forgiven for expecting it to be primarily about Godzilla.

Then that person hasn't clearly watched any of Godzilla movies.

kato

• Captain
« Reply #66 on: 28 June 2021, 09:53:04 »
Then that person hasn't clearly watched any of Godzilla movies.
Over here the Showa era Godzilla movies - other than the '54 original - actually mostly ran rebadged under Toho's "Frankenstein" kaiju franchise back in the 60s and 70s - with only the Heisei era movies badged under "Gozilla", and the "Millenium" season not released in movie theaters.

ActionButler

• Global Moderator
  • Major
« Reply #67 on: 28 June 2021, 11:49:44 »
**MOD REQUEST**

Take it easy, everyone. No need to get personal over who has - or hasn't - watched their fill of kaiju movies.
Experimental Technical Readout: The School
http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=56420.0

elf25s

• Major
« Reply #68 on: 29 June 2021, 12:32:37 »
came across burn the witch...it felt like it was rushed and concept was not developed...reminded me of 1980 and 90 demo episodes studios used to put out as pitch material to companies to get sponsorship
btw the best ones i had seen were maze and dragon half from that time
you sure cannot out run death...but sure as hell you can make that bastard work for it!

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #69 on: 29 June 2021, 22:05:51 »
Binged Megalobox season 2.  Was pretty good, though not exactly unpredictable.

kato

• Captain
« Reply #70 on: 01 July 2021, 11:33:00 »
Episide 24 of Kumo desu ga, Nani ka? (So I'm a Spider, So What?) has been delayed due to production issues.
Will be aired this saturday on AT-X at 2130 JST. CR has announced simulcast for same day, though not with time.

https://twitter.com/kumoko_anime/status/1410523570908762117

Maingunnery

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Pirates and C3 masters are on the hitlist
« Reply #71 on: 03 July 2021, 10:44:45 »
Will be aired this saturday on AT-X at 2130 JST. CR has announced simulcast for same day, though not with time.

https://twitter.com/kumoko_anime/status/1410523570908762117
Just saw it, some scenes are very nicely animated while others look very 'improvised'.
Good to have seen this anime, but so far the manga and LN have been the better adaptations.
Herb: "Well, now I guess we'll HAVE to print it. Sounds almost like the apocalypse I've been working for...."

The Society:Fan XTRO & Field Manual
Nebula California: HyperTube Xtreme
Nebula Confederation Ships

Øystein

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Captain
« Reply #72 on: 04 July 2021, 01:23:16 »
A look at Star Wars: Visions, the Anime short stories collection coming 22 sept:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9Gr9gKFxpE

DarkSpade

• Major
« Reply #73 on: 04 July 2021, 17:30:52 »
Finished Don’t Toy with me, Miss Nagatoro.   I liked it.  :thumbsup:  Would be cool to see more, but at this point it would basically be about a guy with a comically abusive girlfriend.  Then again, I wasn't so sure the original premise would work and they did pull it off pretty well.

Anyone read the manga?  Does it add enough to be worth checking out when I've seen the anime already?
Space Marines are guys who look at a chainsaw and think, “That should be balanced for parrying.”

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #74 on: 06 July 2021, 13:41:47 »
I've been following the manga, though i wasn't aware of it's given name was  Don’t Toy with me, Miss Nagatoro.   Its okay, i think she sometimes bit over the top. 
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

TheoLehman

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #75 on: 06 July 2021, 18:39:18 »
I'm kind of creeped out by the whole "abuse played for laughs" thing, so I gave that one a pass.
I'm going to start watching Galaxy Express 999, which I'm reliably told is a classic in its genre.
Edit after watching the first episode of GE999: Hoo boy, that show... gets off to a start.
« Last Edit: 06 July 2021, 19:19:34 by TheoLehman »

Ruger

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #76 on: 06 July 2021, 20:14:19 »
I'm going to start watching Galaxy Express 999, which I'm reliably told is a classic in its genre.
Edit after watching the first episode of GE999: Hoo boy, that show... gets off to a start.

It is a great series but I only have the first set of episodes. I still need to get the rest.

Ruger
"If someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Malcolm Reynolds, Firefly

"Who I am is where I stand. Where I stand is where I fall...Stand with me." - The Doctor, The Doctor Falls, Doctor Who

DarkSpade

• Major
« Reply #77 on: 06 July 2021, 20:28:20 »
I'm kind of creeped out by the whole "abuse played for laughs" thing, so I gave that one a pass.

That's kind of where I was, but I just kept seeing it come up on meme sites so I got curious.  It's actually kind of a sweet story once you figure out what's really going on.
Space Marines are guys who look at a chainsaw and think, “That should be balanced for parrying.”

Mecha82

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #78 on: 08 July 2021, 10:06:17 »
So Miss Kobayashi's Dragonmaid S is finally here. That first episode was crazy and that ending took me by surprise.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #79 on: 08 July 2021, 13:46:57 »
Wow, Wonder Egg Priority really crashed and burned.  Guess that's a hazard of having an inexperienced team that's still writing the script while the show is airing.

MadCapellan

• Furibunda Scriptorem
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • In the name of Xin Sheng, I will punish you!
    • Check out the anime I've seen & reviewed!
« Reply #80 on: 08 July 2021, 13:48:53 »
Wow, Wonder Egg Priority really crashed and burned.  Guess that's a hazard of having an inexperienced team that's still writing the script while the show is airing.

Do you mind elaborating on what happened? I dropped it after episode 3 or so because I was busy & it was feeling a bit formulaic at that point, but I was considering picking it back up....
« Last Edit: 08 July 2021, 21:10:50 by MadCapellan »

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #81 on: 08 July 2021, 20:56:23 »
Okay, major spoilers for Wonder Egg Priority.  Consider yourself warned:

First of all, it turns out that Ai's friend, the one who committed suicide and got the plot kicked off in the first place?  She actually didn't commit suicide.  See, she had accused a teacher of doing "something" inappropriate, but it was actually a lie and she had a history of making false accusations.  And she didn't commit suicide, either- she'd been on the roof acting like she was going to commit suicide as part of her false accusation but what happened was that she'd stumbled and fallen off the roof by accident.

Simultaneously, we learn that the two mannequin guys are actually human scientists who had in their spare time created an AI that looked like a teenage girl (creepy much?).  This AI got jealous and possessive and murdered the wife of one of the scientists, so they tried to disconnect her but she ended up somehow being the one who was behind all the teen girls committing suicide because of reasons that are sexist BS.  And then she also creates other AIs that look like teenage girls with insects for heads.

And the final episode was delayed with a promise that it would be a full hour finale, but it turned out to be 25 minutes of recap (after episode 8 was already a recap) with only 20 minutes of new content.  Nieru turns out to be another AI who winds up staying in the dream world with the villain, and there's more stuff that wouldn't make much sense if you haven't seen more of the series.

MadCapellan

• Furibunda Scriptorem
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • In the name of Xin Sheng, I will punish you!
    • Check out the anime I've seen & reviewed!
« Reply #82 on: 08 July 2021, 21:36:09 »
I kind of had feared that "It's a crapsack world, just bear with it" was where it was all going. Sounds like that's where we got to but with even greater tone-deafness, condescension and lack of effort. Thanks for saving my time.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #83 on: 08 July 2021, 21:54:36 »
Yeah, I gave up after episode 10 (which featured something that seriously should have come with a trigger warning) and got filled in on the rest via YouTube dissection of the show.

TheoLehman

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #84 on: 09 July 2021, 21:07:32 »
I'm gonna spoiler out my triggers here:

I feel like Wonder Egg Priority raised a lot of red flags early on.  To use an astronomical analogy, episode 10 was when it hit the event horizon, but there was plenty of warning before then that it was headed for a black hole.
Was it episode 2 or 3 where the monster of the week had giant boobs that squirted paint?  Because if ep 10 was the event horizon, that was the first sign of gravitational lensing.
The episode about the girl who literally killed herself so she'd never stop being pretty was when the show got caught in the black hole's gravity.
« Last Edit: 09 July 2021, 21:10:29 by TheoLehman »

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #85 on: 09 July 2021, 21:19:44 »
Well, it was a show about teen girls committing suicide, so it was obvious from the start that it was going to be dark.  They just went way too far.

TheoLehman

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #86 on: 09 July 2021, 21:32:26 »
Dark you expect, sure, but the astonishing sexism was optional.  And the paint boobs.  Those were definitely optional.

elf25s

• Major
« Reply #87 on: 10 July 2021, 12:47:15 »
ok how in bloody hell and in name of gods living dead yet to be invented i missed this?
Natsume’s Book of Friends

rediscovers this mecha gem
schwarzesmarken
you sure cannot out run death...but sure as hell you can make that bastard work for it!

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #88 on: 10 July 2021, 13:11:08 »
Really love the series and manga. Even found a use for my yukata and hakama along with a fox mask to cosplay as a generic youkai inspired by the series around Halloween.  My customers actually like that one more than my other cosplay outfit.

ok how in bloody hell and in name of gods living dead yet to be invented i missed this?
Natsume’s Book of Friends

schwarzesmarken

TheoLehman

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #89 on: 10 July 2021, 14:26:58 »
schwarzesmarken
I'll watch at least the first episode of any show that has mecha in it, so this one's going in my VRV queue.

Register