Author Topic: Naval Pictures IX - General Quarters, Battlestations!  (Read 99087 times)

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
Naval Pictures IX - General Quarters, Battlestations!
« on: 12 January 2022, 19:06:58 »
French Battleship, Magenta.

I always loved the predreadnoughts.  Perhaps because design wise they were unique.

The Magenta was strange design to me.  Not necessary the unprotected main guns, but broadsides were like walls.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
Re: Naval Pictures IX - General Quarters, Battlestations!
« Reply #1 on: 12 January 2022, 19:15:25 »
We were warned it was for in-extremis only.  We weren't going to be able to just obliterate a hill that some sniper was on.

Which is ironic if you have seen the video of a guided MLRS round blowing a wannabe sniper off the roof of a apartment building somewhere sandy.  Shoulder cam catches the movement, they call it in, barely see the rocket before it explodes on the roof . . . and then you see the body come back down after flying, falling at least 5 or 6 floors.

Our disgust was they had us practicing with tube and all these other units at the time we would not use.  So why not the battleship for giggles?
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #2 on: 12 January 2022, 19:25:59 »
Wrangler: that's the second post of yours where I could only see the picture via the attachment.  Something is not working with posted images, and I'm not sure what...

Nightlord01

• Lieutenant
« Reply #3 on: 12 January 2022, 19:34:08 »
Which is ironic if you have seen the video of a guided MLRS round blowing a wannabe sniper off the roof of a apartment building somewhere sandy.  Shoulder cam catches the movement, they call it in, barely see the rocket before it explodes on the roof . . . and then you see the body come back down after flying, falling at least 5 or 6 floors.

Our disgust was they had us practicing with tube and all these other units at the time we would not use.  So why not the battleship for giggles?

Ever seen a capital round hit something? It's next level in terms of destructive power, that roof, the building and probably the ones on either side of it would be kindling if you used a big gun. They are also expensive as hell and incredibly rare, they are not something you use just for giggles. Not to mention the fact that a massive lumbering battleship is heavily constrained by draft, especially in the sandy areas where navigation is challenging for much smaller ships.

Capital ships are an inviting target, especially when they are just cruising offshore. The proliferation of cheap ASCM coastal batteries, WBIEDs and mines means that your nice shiny battleship can be hit and even if they don't sink it, that millions of dollars in repairs and a massive IW win for the OPFOR.

Use the right tool for the job, and for shore bombardment they right tool is a frigate, destroyer or a cruiser, not a battleship.

chanman

• Major
  • Architect of suffering
« Reply #4 on: 12 January 2022, 19:34:58 »
The Australian Border Force has a really snazzy paint scheme for their patrol boats. Reminds me of old airliner liveries or some of the paint schemes for stuff in classic sci-fi art

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #5 on: 12 January 2022, 19:43:55 »
That's a fancy paint job, all right.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Nightlord01

• Lieutenant
« Reply #6 on: 12 January 2022, 20:04:45 »
That's a fancy paint job, all right.

They were just flat grey when they were first built, I believe this livery was developed explicitly to differentiate them from navy ships.

They are also very nice boats for crew comfort, when ABF was first stood up they didn't have enough sailors for these boats, so the navy stumped up crew members while ABF recruited. Those sailors did not want to go back to patrol boats, the drop in QoL was incredible.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #7 on: 12 January 2022, 20:07:10 »
Wrangler: that's the second post of yours where I could only see the picture via the attachment.  Something is not working with posted images, and I'm not sure what...
I fixed it, i was having trouble with my phone. I've changed to the PC and it fixed up.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #8 on: 12 January 2022, 20:13:29 »
Still X's for me, sorry...  :-\

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #9 on: 12 January 2022, 20:25:07 »
The Australian Border Force has a really snazzy paint scheme for their patrol boats. Reminds me of old airliner liveries or some of the paint schemes for stuff in classic sci-fi art

Cape class??
"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"

Garrand

• Warrant Officer
  • "Nicht kleckern, klotzen!"
« Reply #10 on: 12 January 2022, 20:28:46 »
I always loved the predreadnoughts.  Perhaps because design wise they were unique.

I'm with you on that. My favorite period of naval architecture is the period between the end of the US Civil War & WW1. What is great -- especially the French designs for some reason -- is the industrial ugly of some of those ships! There were elegant ones too, granted...

Damon.
Book Blog: bookslikedust.blogspot.com
Minis Blog: minislikedust.blogspot.com

David CGB

• Lieutenant
« Reply #11 on: 12 January 2022, 21:48:26 »

nice paint scheme, great looking ship
Federated Suns fan forever, Ghost Bear Fan since 1992, and as a Ghost Bear David Bekker star captain (in an Alt TL Loremaster)

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #12 on: 12 January 2022, 22:11:14 »
Ever seen a capital round hit something? It's next level in terms of destructive power, that roof, the building and probably the ones on either side of it would be kindling if you used a big gun. They are also expensive as hell and incredibly rare, they are not something you use just for giggles. Not to mention the fact that a massive lumbering battleship is heavily constrained by draft, especially in the sandy areas where navigation is challenging for much smaller ships.

Capital ships are an inviting target, especially when they are just cruising offshore. The proliferation of cheap ASCM coastal batteries, WBIEDs and mines means that your nice shiny battleship can be hit and even if they don't sink it, that millions of dollars in repairs and a massive IW win for the OPFOR.

Use the right tool for the job, and for shore bombardment they right tool is a frigate, destroyer or a cruiser, not a battleship.

it's a training digex?
Colt Ward

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Nightlord01

• Lieutenant
« Reply #13 on: 12 January 2022, 22:53:19 »
it's a training digex?

So you don't want to train the way you fight?

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #14 on: 12 January 2022, 23:49:11 »
Why is this Cape Class cutter suspended over the water on steel beams anyways? Its not a dock...not near one from way the picture is.

Secondary thing. When i read Cape Class, I guess was too used told old US Coast Guard cutters.

I though of this old girl and her kin.

chanman

• Major
  • Architect of suffering
« Reply #15 on: 13 January 2022, 00:05:13 »
Cape class??

Yep. Less common the the Damen Stan patrol vessels. The first two digits are the vessel's length in meters and the second two digits are the width. So the 4207s are 42m long and 7m wide, while the 4708s are 47m long and 8m wide.

The 4207 in Canadian Coast Guard service as the Hero-class:

The larger 4708 in US Coastie service as the Sentinel-class cutter

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #16 on: 13 January 2022, 04:07:15 »
Wrangler: the Coast Guard cutter picture came through fine, but the battleship pic still doesn't show...  ???

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • And I think it's gonna be a long, long time...
« Reply #17 on: 13 January 2022, 06:08:56 »
Shows fine for me.  Weird.
"Does anyone know where the love of God goes / When the waves turn the minutes to hours?"
-- Gordon Lightfoot, "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald"

Nightlord01

• Lieutenant
« Reply #18 on: 13 January 2022, 06:54:18 »
Shows fine for me.  Weird.

Me too...  :crash:

Why is this Cape Class cutter suspended over the water on steel beams anyways? Its not a dock...not near one from way the picture is.

Light floating dry dock. The vessels are small enough to fit, it's cheaper than a graving dock or synchro lift for refit, and a good way to move vessels that have watertight integrity issues. It's an inshore version of something like the MV Rolldock Star.

https://frm-wows-us.wgcdn.co/wows_forum_us/monthly_2017_09/resize.jpg.24c360a6ce68134038844c621c290289.jpg

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #19 on: 13 January 2022, 10:02:20 »
So you don't want to train the way you fight?

It was a training environment in a class room to learn the software operations.  We were a rocket battery and they had us running some stuff with tubes.  Further, the computer prevents you from piddly firing, usual targets being troop concentrations, counterbattery fire, or armor/vehicle formations.
Colt Ward

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs
« Reply #20 on: 13 January 2022, 13:25:20 »
A lovely cutaway diagram of the gun turret of HMS Inflexible showing how her muzzle loaded 16 inch, 80-ton guns were loaded.

There's a good video here - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aKmi0PN7LxM&ab_channel=ForgottenWeapons  by gun jesus about how it would have operated. And there's actually a surviving turret on the Mole at Dover. Sadly the turret is in poor condition but the guns are still there, although there's no plans to open it up for the public or renovate it

Ghost Bears: Cute and cuddly. Until you remember its a BLOODY BEAR!

Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs - https://thezhukovau.wordpress.com/

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #21 on: 13 January 2022, 17:31:46 »
HMS Flexible when she was in service.

mikecj

• Major
  • Veteran of Galahad 3028
« Reply #22 on: 13 January 2022, 18:07:08 »
I loved the austere elegance of the US Battleships from the beginning of the 20th until they refit them in the late 20's & 30's.   Very clean upperworks and the cage masts were very distinctive.

On the other hand... who wants to be on an open bridge wing in the North Atlantic or Pacific or climb up to the fighting tops either.
There are no fish in my pond.
"First, one brief announcement. I just want to mention, for those who have asked, that absolutely nothing what so ever happened today in sector 83x9x12. I repeat, nothing happened. Please remain calm." Susan Ivanova
"Solve a man's problems with violence, help him for a day. Teach a man to solve his problems with violence, help him for a lifetime." - Belkar Bitterleaf
Romo Lampkin could have gotten Stefan Amaris off with a warning.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #23 on: 13 January 2022, 19:46:48 »
Thanks for continuing to attach the pictures too, Wrangler.  At this point, I'm chalking it up to a personal vendetta Windows has against me (don't even get me started about what it's doing to me at work...  xp).

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs
« Reply #24 on: 14 January 2022, 04:28:23 »
I loved the austere elegance of the US Battleships from the beginning of the 20th until they refit them in the late 20's & 30's.   Very clean upperworks and the cage masts were very distinctive.

On the other hand... who wants to be on an open bridge wing in the North Atlantic or Pacific or climb up to the fighting tops either.

*Laughs in Royal Navy* :p

The RN didn't even have airconditioning aboard any ship until the Vanguard and Daring class DDs came along. And open bridges aboard most cruiser classes was the order of the day

This is the bridge of HMS Hermione, a Dido class cruiser in 41.

Hell part of the 'reasoning' behind the RN not getting rid of hammocks or adopting mess eating was because of the view that the sailors were tough and can endure a bit of hardship. When RN personnel went aboard USN ships in the Pacific in WW2, they were very jealous of the USN ships airconditioning, and things like ice cream makers aboard CVs. The visiting USN officers were also very jealous of the fact that RN ships were not dry and you could get a drink aboard :p
Ghost Bears: Cute and cuddly. Until you remember its a BLOODY BEAR!

Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs - https://thezhukovau.wordpress.com/

JadeHellbringer

• Easily Bribed Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #25 on: 14 January 2022, 09:06:42 »
1943, Boston Navy Yard. A few highlights to point out here: The ship in the drydock at far left is USS Iowa, being looked at for damage after running aground. Nearby are the aircraft carrier USS Bunker Hill and the cruiser USS Baltimore. Further up in the image are a gaggle of destroyers- five Benson-class, one Fletcher (the darker colored one), and in amongst them is the French destroyer Le Fantasque, easily discernible because she's nearly a hundred feet longer than the Americans around her.
"There's a difference between the soldier and his fight,
But the warrior knows the true meaning of his life."
+Larry and his Flask, 'Blood Drunk'+

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

Elmoth

• Major
  • Periphery fanboy
« Reply #26 on: 14 January 2022, 16:49:25 »
Today I bring you a post from another forum (laarmada.net, a spanish wargames forum). A member there has constructed a model of USS Atlanta from scratch.

http://laarmada.net/taller/css-atlanta-ironclad-confederado-en-28-mm/

Watch and enjoy the step by step.

Cheers,
Xavi

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #27 on: 14 January 2022, 18:41:46 »
Hellbie, I'm shocked that picture was even allowed to be taken in 1943...  :o

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • And I think it's gonna be a long, long time...
« Reply #28 on: 14 January 2022, 18:55:52 »
Speaking of ship models, I've got one in process myself, a 1/240 scale USS Olympia (C-6):

Minis and albuterol inhaler for scale.

LAM pad is non-standard.  Superstructure isn't glued on yet.  Need to touch up the paint above the waterline, to cover up the bit of red that bled past the tape with some rust effects.

First ship model I've built in probably 32 years, thinking about it.  Well, maybe.  Think I might've done one after large naval support vees were published.
"Does anyone know where the love of God goes / When the waves turn the minutes to hours?"
-- Gordon Lightfoot, "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald"

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #29 on: 14 January 2022, 19:02:40 »
That is the literal definition of awesome, Gio!  :o

Register