Author Topic: Naval Pictures IX - General Quarters, Battlestations!  (Read 99092 times)

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
Re: Naval Pictures IX - General Quarters, Battlestations!
« Reply #30 on: 14 January 2022, 21:06:40 »
Hellbie, I'm shocked that picture was even allowed to be taken in 1943...  :o

There are a couple like this that are DoD based.  My guess is they were used for planning/briefing on the construction cues/needs.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #31 on: 14 January 2022, 21:29:57 »
And eventually declassified, then...  8)

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #32 on: 14 January 2022, 23:17:35 »
1943, Boston Navy Yard. A few highlights to point out here: The ship in the drydock at far left is USS Iowa, being looked at for damage after running aground. Nearby are the aircraft carrier USS Bunker Hill and the cruiser USS Baltimore. Further up in the image are a gaggle of destroyers- five Benson-class, one Fletcher (the darker colored one), and in amongst them is the French destroyer Le Fantasque, easily discernible because she's nearly a hundred feet longer than the Americans around her.

How did a French destroyer end up in Boston in '43?
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Miss Chitty finds your honor rules quaint.
« Reply #33 on: 14 January 2022, 23:23:20 »
How did a French destroyer end up in Boston in '43?

The ship went over to Free France with French West Africa and was sent to the US for modernization.
Good news is the lab boys say the symptoms of asbestos poisoning show an immediate latency of 44.6 years. So if you're thirty or over you're laughing. Worst case scenario you miss out on a few rounds of canasta, plus you've forwarded the cause of science by three centuries. I punch those numbers into my calculator, it makes a happy face.

(indirect accessory to the) Slayer of Monitors!

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • And I think it's gonna be a long, long time...
« Reply #34 on: 15 January 2022, 01:00:25 »
That is the literal definition of awesome, Gio!  :o

Thanks!  After test-fitting the turrets and superstructure, I lightly sanded a couple error spots, took the hull and superstructure back out to the garage, and sprayed down the hull down in flat red again,and the superstructure in tan:

Once the red's dry, I can flip it over and spray the deck with the same tan.  Then I mask off the red section of the hull, and try to clean up the sides with more white paint, add the superstructure, then take care of the masks, the fresh air funnels, lifeboats, etc.  Trying to rig it with thread to represent the rigging sounds like an exercise in madness, so I'll probably skip that for now.

Last part will be figuring out what I want to do with the turrets.  They sit lightly on right now, allowing them to turn, but this isn't a Bandai HG Gundam model: the parts fit kind of sucks.  I'm tempted to see if I can find some round magnets just a hair smaller than the turret base, and use those to hold the turrets on so they can still be turned, rather than gluing them in place to keep them secure.

But, yeah, my own little Olympia's coming along nicely.  I confirmed the hull keeps out water before I painted it, and I might add a little clay or something to the bottom of the hull for ballast.  I don't intend to have it in the water, really, but if I'm building a full-hull ship model, the damn thing should float.  ;D
"Does anyone know where the love of God goes / When the waves turn the minutes to hours?"
-- Gordon Lightfoot, "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald"

chanman

• Major
  • Architect of suffering
« Reply #35 on: 15 January 2022, 03:09:10 »
Okay, but can you also mock up what it would look like with Urbanmech torsos as the turrets?

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #36 on: 15 January 2022, 03:10:07 »
Okay, but can you also mock up what it would look like with Urbanmech torsos as the turrets?

Maybe? With their hex bases, the new miniature should fit there.

Also, I’d love to find a way to be able to hot-swap the turrets to the single open 5”/51 mounts she carried during WW1, after they removed the 8”/35s:

That brings to kind an interesting question: when Olympia got preserved as a museum ship, the decision was made to return her to her Spanish-American War appearance, right down to building boilerplate replicas of her old 8”/35 twin turrets, since the originals were long scrapped.

When you have a situation like that, which is the more valid preservation?  Keeping a museum ship as close to her final commissioned configuration as possible, or keeping her as close to her a specific historical period as possible?
« Last Edit: 15 January 2022, 04:23:58 by Giovanni Blasini »
"Does anyone know where the love of God goes / When the waves turn the minutes to hours?"

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #37 on: 15 January 2022, 06:58:37 »
That's a decision made by the respective museum.  It depends what they want to preserve.

mikecj

• Major
  • Veteran of Galahad 3028
« Reply #38 on: 15 January 2022, 10:13:15 »
Its not like they're going to take the Olympia into battle against marauding aliens... that's why New Jersey is moored nearby to protect the tri-state region.  The Iowa's were specifically designed to combat alien menaces.
There are no fish in my pond.
"First, one brief announcement. I just want to mention, for those who have asked, that absolutely nothing what so ever happened today in sector 83x9x12. I repeat, nothing happened. Please remain calm." Susan Ivanova
"Solve a man's problems with violence, help him for a day. Teach a man to solve his problems with violence, help him for a lifetime." - Belkar Bitterleaf
Romo Lampkin could have gotten Stefan Amaris off with a warning.

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #39 on: 15 January 2022, 12:03:51 »
Y’now, chanman did ask if I was going to build it as Space Cruiser Olympia, I do have a crapton of Gundam booster pods around, and the Olympia is remarkably close to the same size and mass as a Bug-Eye class surveillance WarShip…

(And yes, I already have preliminary stats drawn up)

chanman

• Major
  • Architect of suffering
« Reply #40 on: 15 January 2022, 13:25:09 »
Maybe? With their hex bases, the new miniature should fit there.

Also, I’d love to find a way to be able to hot-swap the turrets to the single open 5”/51 mounts she carried during WW1, after they removed the 8”/35s:

That brings to kind an interesting question: when Olympia got preserved as a museum ship, the decision was made to return her to her Spanish-American War appearance, right down to building boilerplate replicas of her old 8”/35 twin turrets, since the originals were long scrapped.

When you have a situation like that, which is the more valid preservation?  Keeping a museum ship as close to her final commissioned configuration as possible, or keeping her as close to her a specific historical period as possible?

Build a modern 1:1 scale replica of it in each of the configurations you want for use as museums/museum ships.

Done with the old Beiyang Fleet pre-dreadnought Dingyuan back in 2003

Middcore

• Lieutenant
  • The Inner Sphere could always use more Heroes!
« Reply #41 on: 15 January 2022, 13:43:59 »
Build a modern 1:1 scale replica of it in each of the configurations you want for use as museums/museum ships.

Done with the old Beiyang Fleet pre-dreadnought Dingyuan back in 2003

A literal monument to defeat and incompetence.
I write BattleTech fanfics. You can find them all on ScribbleHub, and I welcome your comments.

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Not Dead Until I Say So
« Reply #42 on: 15 January 2022, 16:08:54 »
The USNS Gordon and USNS Shugart named for "Black Hawk Down incident Medal of Honour heroes Gart Gordon and Randall Shugart
My three main Alternate Timeline with Thanks fan-fiction threads are in the links below. I'm always open to suggestions or additions to be incorporated so if you feel you wish to add something feel free. There's non-canon units, equipment, people, events, erm... Solar Systems spread throughout so please enjoy

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,20515.0.html - Part 1

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,52013.0.html - Part 2

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,79196.0.html - Part 3

CVB

• Captain
« Reply #43 on: 15 January 2022, 17:45:02 »
The Shughart and Gordon were originally the container ships Selandia and Jutlandia built in Denmark in the early 70s, before they were lengthened and later acquired and converted as Ro/Ro ships for the MSC around 1996. At 75,000hp and 30+ kn they were clearly designed before the oil crisis.

M/V Selandia:

Here is an interesting website of a crewmember of Jutlandia from the 70s, including many pictures of the engine room and the civilian accommodation.
"Wars result when one side either misjudges its chances or wishes to commit suicide; and not even Masada began as a suicide attempt. In general, both warring parties expect to win. In the event, they are wrong more than half the time."
- David Drake

I'm willing to suspend my disbelief, but I'm not willing to hang it by the neck until it's dead, dead, dead!

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #44 on: 15 January 2022, 20:25:21 »
I do find it amazing that 1:1 scale replica of the Dingyuan  was built.  Given this fading memory of things naval with some of the young crowd,  I would be personally thrilled have such  unique museum piece of a pre-dreadnought near by.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs
« Reply #45 on: 16 January 2022, 17:05:10 »

USS Tennessee some time in 43 following her massive reconstruction and rebuild after taking heavy damage at Pearl. You can see her massive beam here.

As a certain Shapeshifting Lord of Evil would say.

EXTRA THICC!!!

Ghost Bears: Cute and cuddly. Until you remember its a BLOODY BEAR!

Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs - https://thezhukovau.wordpress.com/

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #46 on: 16 January 2022, 17:17:00 »
Future of UK Marines?  I'm not sure, but Jump Infantry maybe come a thing.

The link to vid on Tumblr.

"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants

Ruger

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #47 on: 16 January 2022, 17:59:25 »

USS Tennessee some time in 43 following her massive reconstruction and rebuild after taking heavy damage at Pearl. You can see her massive beam here.

As a certain Shapeshifting Lord of Evil would say.

EXTRA THICC!!!

I’ve always loved that shot of her.

Ruger
"If someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Malcolm Reynolds, Firefly

"Who I am is where I stand. Where I stand is where I fall...Stand with me." - The Doctor, The Doctor Falls, Doctor Who

Dave Talley

• Major
« Reply #48 on: 16 January 2022, 19:26:48 »
I LIKE BIG BOATS AND I CANNOT LIE!
Resident Smartass since 1998
“Toe jam in training”

Because while the other Great Houses of the Star League thought they were playing chess, House Cameron was playing Paradox-Billiards-Vostroyan-Roulette-Fourth Dimensional-Hypercube-Chess-Strip Poker the entire time.
JA Baker

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #49 on: 16 January 2022, 21:02:52 »

The link to vid on Tumblr.

i doubt it. while it might be an interesting idea, there honestly isn't a lot of practicality to using those instead of regular boats. especially if the enemy is hostile and ready to shoot back. (in the words of schlock mercenary: "what do you call a flying soldier? Skeet")

plus those "ironman" jet systems take a huge toll on the body and leave the user pretty worn out after even a short flight. plus they get in the way of things like carrying a rifle.

my guess is that they're just using cheap commercially available hardware to test the idea of jetpack boarding actions, and if they decide it is a capability they want they'll probably pursue one of the backpack variety of jet systems or have a custom one developed. normally i'd say we won;t see them do it.. but through the study of history i've learned that modern military forces are very prone to investing large amounts of money into "flashy but largely useless" stuff like this in the hopes of forcing a square combat hardware peg into a round tactical hole.

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #50 on: 16 January 2022, 22:25:31 »

Skeet shooting for anyone on defending ship..  not like u are going to sneak up on them  and Not sure u can return fire if u were being shot at until u land.  Unless you rig up a "remote" gun to cover you..
I'm not even sure this would offer any good advantage for a coast guard rescue operation
"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #51 on: 17 January 2022, 10:14:54 »

IMO?  Which is the most unique . . . we have other, IIRC, WWI era build ships (BB-35 comes to mind) and so which is more unique- a ship that was second class in WWI and upgraded to compete or a Spanish-American era warship similar to the one that sparked the war?

For my mind, hands down, the Spanish American War survivor would be more interesting.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Nightlord01

• Lieutenant
« Reply #52 on: 17 January 2022, 18:57:37 »
IMO?  Which is the most unique . . . we have other, IIRC, WWI era build ships (BB-35 comes to mind) and so which is more unique- a ship that was second class in WWI and upgraded to compete or a Spanish-American era warship similar to the one that sparked the war?

For my mind, hands down, the Spanish American War survivor would be more interesting.

This is my sentiment. A museum isn't an archive, it's a display from a historical perspective. If the Spanish-American war is more interesting for visitors than the period after, it only makes sense to use that perspective. If the Olympia is being preserved as a Spanish-American war exhibit, then she should be displayed as a true representation of that period.

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #53 on: 18 January 2022, 02:44:47 »

The last patrol ... USS Kittyhawk, sold to scrappers for 1 US cent, heads for the breakers yard.
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #54 on: 18 January 2022, 07:06:19 »
So much for making a museum out of her.

Ruger

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #55 on: 18 January 2022, 07:07:57 »
So much for making a museum out of her.

And possibly any more of our actual carriers due to being nukes.

Ruger
"If someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Malcolm Reynolds, Firefly

"Who I am is where I stand. Where I stand is where I fall...Stand with me." - The Doctor, The Doctor Falls, Doctor Who

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #56 on: 18 January 2022, 07:28:43 »
Originally when they decommed her, the JFK Center in Boston wanted her for a museum addition, since their on the harbor.  However, they lost bid to someone in Florida.   I guess that didn't go anywhere for a while.  She doesn't look like she in good shape now.  Sad.

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Not Dead Until I Say So
« Reply #57 on: 18 January 2022, 15:47:20 »
I'm a little surprised they aren't using it as a target

I know it's a diesel powered carrier and not a nuke one but I'm sure you'd learn more about it in a Sink-Ex than the value of 1 cent

Then again it could cost too much to prepare it for such a drill and potentially give others ideas on how to get rid of a live one.
My three main Alternate Timeline with Thanks fan-fiction threads are in the links below. I'm always open to suggestions or additions to be incorporated so if you feel you wish to add something feel free. There's non-canon units, equipment, people, events, erm... Solar Systems spread throughout so please enjoy

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,20515.0.html - Part 1

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,52013.0.html - Part 2

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,79196.0.html - Part 3

CVB

• Captain
« Reply #58 on: 18 January 2022, 16:43:40 »
Then again it could cost too much to prepare it for such a drill and potentially give others ideas on how to get rid of a live one.

That, and the Navy might not have learnt that much more than they already did from the experiments on ex USS America in 2005.
"Wars result when one side either misjudges its chances or wishes to commit suicide; and not even Masada began as a suicide attempt. In general, both warring parties expect to win. In the event, they are wrong more than half the time."
- David Drake

I'm willing to suspend my disbelief, but I'm not willing to hang it by the neck until it's dead, dead, dead!

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • It's a gator with a nuke, whats the problem.
« Reply #59 on: 19 January 2022, 20:43:26 »
Too bad the Kitty Hawk couldn't be saved!
Walking the fine line between sarcasm and being a smart-ass