Author Topic: Status of Nova Cat Xi Galaxy in late 3072.  (Read 1130 times)

NightlyReaper

• Recruit
  • "With what forces do you defend this planet?"
Status of Nova Cat Xi Galaxy in late 3072.
« on: 31 May 2019, 03:29:49 »
To Ben Rome, Herb Beas, and all the contributors to "Jihad Turning Points: Luthien",

In July of 3072, Nova Cat's Xi Galaxy hit Luthien seeking revenge against the 42nd Shadow Division for the attempted nuclear attack on Irece, ignoring Kuritan DCMS and Black Dragons alike in their pursuit of the Blakists. After being driven back from Imperial City, Galaxy Commander Jal Steiner rallied his troops in the Waseda Hills for a second push into the city, but six nuclear missiles struck the clanners, leaving LESS THAN one and a half surviving clusters to withdraw.

On 23 August 3072, the remaining Xi Galaxy, working with the DCMS's Otomo and Izanagi Warriors, assaulted a large Blakist supply base defended by the 42nd Shadow Division, in the Battle of the Kyoto Zen Arcology Project. The DCMS flankers were repulsed, but succeeded in causing the needed distraction. A Nova Cat Star was able to breach the rear of the base and set off an enormous chemical explosion, resulting in the destruction of MULTIPLE UNITS on both sides and a significant loss to the Blakist ammunition supply.

Based on the above canon, the following can be inferred:
EVERYBODY in Kurita-space HATES the WOB 42nd Shadow Division with a PASSION.
The Clan Nova Cat Xi Galaxy Renegades who were present at and survived Waseda Hill & the Arcology have probably declared a Trial of Annihilation against the WOB 42nd Shadow Division.
Nova Cat Xi Galaxy Renegades, having already worked with DCMS against WOB, would probably gladly team up again if it resulted in some 42nd Shadow Division dead. 
That sounds like the makings of a Battletech scenario!  I'm trying to set one up for November 3072.

But how many Xi Galaxy Renegades can there possibly be remaining after the above actions? Canon says "Less than 1.5 Clusters minus multiple units". 

Lets look at numbers:

A "Cluster" is defined as "3-5 Binaries, Trinaries, Supernovas, and/or Supernova Trinaries". 
As I read it, at MAXIMUM, 1.5 clusters is about 112 Mechs and 562 Elementals (MINUS "multiple units" [almost certainly a star, if not more] lost in the the Kyoto Zen Arcology Project explosion).

1 Cluster </= 5 Supernova Trinarys (15 Mech stars + 15 Elemental Stars)
1 Supernova trinary = 3 Novas (3 mech stars + 3 elemental stars)
1 Nova = 1 mech star + 1 elemental star.
1 star = 5 Points
1 Point = 1 mech or 5 elementals
1 Cluster = 75 Mechs and 375 Elementals.
x 1.5
So one and a half Clusters is </= ~112 Mechs and ~562 Elementals (MINUS "multiple units" [almost certainly a star, if not more] lost in the the Kyoto Zen Arcology Project explosion).

BUT...

A Cluster can ALSO be as little as 3 binaries.
1 binary = 2 stars or novas
1 star = 5 Points
1 Point = 1 mech or 5 elementals
So that could be as low as...
6 stars = 30 points of mixed units.
Maybe 18 mechs and 60 elementals (MINUS "multiple units" [almost certainly a star, if not more] lost in the the Kyoto Zen Arcology Project explosion).

That is a broad range, but I think what I am interested in for this game scenario is the possible ENDGAME for Xi Galaxy, at least for the Renegades Nova, so I'd like to go with the smaller of the two numbers and say that Xi Galaxy is just about destroyed at this point.
I would imagine that their loss of "multiple units" at the Arcology would consist of at very least the star that set off the explosion plus maybe a few additional mechs.

I'm expecting to include a couple of mixed stars for the Nova Cats in this battle, plus maybe a few extra elementals; at most, a reinforced binary. Maybe nine points of mechs plus 30 elementals?  They're almost gone.

Would this be realistic or were the writers of this material thinking that more of the Xi Galaxy Nova Cats would survive to the very end?

I look forward to anyone's input on this.

Thanks,
NightlyReaper.
NightlyReaper
Commanding 57th Heavy Group
MechWarrior Mechanized Expeditions League
http://mwmel.blogspot.com/