Author Topic: ‘Mech of the Week: Cephalus  (Read 13056 times)

wantec

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
‘Mech of the Week: Cephalus
« on: 19 May 2017, 12:58:05 »
‘Mech of the Week: Cephalus

MUL Image

Curtesy of CamoSpecs and GunjiNoKanrei

Today’s ‘Mech of the Week is the Nova Combined Electronic Warfare System. Well, not exactly. Technically it’s the Cephalus, a 25-ton mixed-tech OmniMech created and used by the Society (and their Coyote allies) during the Wars of Reaving. But the key aspect of the ‘Mech, and the main reason to use it is the Nova CEWS. So that is where we begin today’s discussion.

Going back to the early days of combat, forces have taken information from one unit or soldier, relayed it back to the rest of the group further from the target, and used it to provide more accurate targeting information than the further away group can do itself. Whether it’s a spotter telling an artillery unit where it’s shots landed and how to correct, or using laser target designators for incoming missiles, these tactics are nothing new to combat or to the battlefields of the 31st century. While equipment like TAG and indirect-fire spotters existed, there was no way for one unit to use the targeting systems of another directly.

Until the Draconis Combine invented the C3 system that is. Using a series of linked master and slave components, up to 12 units could be linked together. This pyramid-shaped structure was limited in that if the master computer was damaged, isolated by ECM systems, or the unit destroyed, the remaining units couldn’t talk to each other. Then came Comstar’s improved C3 system or C3i. While this was limited to networks half the size of a C3 network, only 6 units total, it eliminated the need for master units. This allowed every unit to communicate directly with the rest, minimizing the disruptions when a unit was isolated by ECM or destroyed.

Typically, whenever there is a weapon or equipment created, the Clans developed their own, improved version. However, the cooperative nature of the C3 and C3i systems doesn’t fit the typical Clan-style of combat, focusing on the skills of the individual, and the technology was never pursued, at least not publicly. The Society, the group of Clan Scientists, had developed their own version of C3i, lighter, smaller, and incorporating shorter-ranged aspects of the Active Probe and ECM systems as well. This compact package further reduced network size down to only 3 units, but improved on the networking capabilities. A typical C3 or C3i network must be programmed prior to deploying on a combat mission. The Nova CEWS network can connect on-the-fly, changing up networks every 10 seconds (1 TW turn). If a unit is destroyed another can join. If target priorities change, you can change which units are networked together.

In any C3-style network, the spotter is the key unit, getting close enough to provide detailed (short-range) targeting data, while remaining active while receiving the brunt of the enemy’s attention and weapons fire. For this the Society needed a new, dedicated spotter.

In comes the Cephalus, a 25-ton, mixed-technology, OmniMech. Using a 250-rated XXL engine, it moves at a speed of 10/15. To protect that fragile engine, 6 tons Ferro-Lamellor armor is added to improve the effectiveness of the 94% armor coverage. The armor pattern only skimps on the arms and head, really the best options in this case, giving a pattern of:

6/8(4)/12(4)/8(4)/6
12/12

A Chameleon LPS and a Null-Signature System were added, further distancing it from typical Clan combat, but making it that much harder to hit. The base 10 double heat sinks were used and the Nova CEWS was fixed in the ‘Mech’s head, limiting the chance of it being damaged. Along with an Endo-Steel structure, a measly 10 critical slots and 5.5 tons of pod space were left.

The Prime variant is a dedicated spotter, doing its best to stay alive. A Light TAG is the sole offensive weapon (along with the Nova CEWS) while a Laser AMS is added to each side torso, and 10-points of Modular Armor is added to the front of each torso. This slows the ‘Mech down slightly, but makes it that much harder to kill.

The A variant again goes the TAG route, opting for a full-size system, a single Laser AMS, and 7 jump-jets. While useful in broken terrain, most of the time the ground speed is the better option considering the heat generation of the jump jets and the XXL engine.

The B variant goes back to the Light TAG, but also is designed to disable enemy targets. A BattleMech Taser with 5 rounds of ammo allows limited attempts to takedown key enemies. If only it had survived long enough to upgrade to a TSEMP system.

The C variant is the fire breather, mounting a Flamer and a Plasma Cannon with 20 rounds of ammo. Dangerous to hot-running ‘Mechs and deadly to most everything else, the use of the Plasma Cannon on the Boggart was deemed offensive to Clan combat, it must be more-so on the Cephalus.

The D variant is the CamoSpecs mini pictured above, and the first true threat to enemy ‘Mechs. An Improved Heavy Large Laser and a trio of Improved Heavy Small Lasers will easily overwhelm this ‘Mech’s cooling system, but pack a decapitating punch.

The E variant is one two Cephalus variants that doesn’t work best as a spotter for its C3 network. Carrying an ER Large Laser, a Light TAG and an extra double heat sink, this is a sniper, using its speed, weapon range, and camo systems to prevent effective return fire while reaching as far as almost any Clan weapon can.

Last is the U variant designed for underwater combat. Much like the A, it mounts 7 movement enhancers, UMUs, and a LRT 5 with a single ton of ammo. This is also not designed for spotting. With underwater ranges reduced, the LRT is king, although the rack size is too small, and the UMUs maximize the defensive movement modifiers.

A description of the variants is all well and good, but the key is to take a look at usage. The Society forces were typically small, dispersed, and underskilled (compared to Clan Warriors). Since they couldn’t match Clan forces 1-on-1, they needed to use superior numbers and technology if they had any hope of winning. On the technology front, the Society used equipment like the Nova CEWS, as well as new weapons & equipment they had been developing yet hadn’t revealed to the Warriors (iATMs, Improved Heavy Lasers, etc.). While overall their numbers were small compared to Clan toumans, the Society forces would deploy and organize their units in an attempt to field superior numbers in individual battles.

The typical Clan force uses Stars of 5 points, a single ‘Mech, a pair of tanks, 5 Battle Armor or ProtoMechs. They group these Stars in pairs or triples as Binaries or Trinaries. The Society forces took a similar approach, using an Un of a single ‘Mech, 3 Battle Armor or ProtoMechs, or 7 vehicles. Three Uns were grouped in a Trey, and a pair of Treys and a command Un into a Sept.

In deployment, an Un was typically only used for specific small-scale tasks like sabotage or assassination. For these kinds of missions, I can see the C, D, E, or U variants being used. The camouflage systems and speed would work great for infiltration and exfiltration. The C could be used to set fire to key infrastructure or slaughter infantry & dismounted warriors. The D could be used for assassinations or quick destruction of infrastructure. The E would work from long range sniping. And the U could be deployed underwater to damage habitats and other key infrastructure.

Treys were the most common deployment and while this seems undersized compared to a Clan Star, Society Treys would typically take on Clan points, using their numbers to swiftly defeat the Clan Warriors. Wars of Reaving notes that the Cephalus was usually deployed in a 1:3 ratio with the Osteon, meaning a Trey of a Cephalus and a pair of Osteons would be commonplace. It also states that the Clan Warriors most often targeted the Osteons due to their size and more numerous weapons that the Cephalii (Cephaluses?).

Septs were the least common, almost never deployed in more than 2 Septs to a mission. Society forces of this size were typically deployed alongside a Coyote force, using the Coyotes to create a fog of war while the Society took out targets of opportunity or completed their own side missions. The Society rarely deployed in straight up combat against a Clan force. Its leaders knew it didn’t have the numbers or skill to take on the Clans in such a manner.

I’ve added these extra chunks of info (Nova CEWS and Society unit sizes and deployment) to help set the stage for discussion of the value, deployment, and combat strategies for this ‘Mech. It’s not as straight-forward as the normal Clan OmniMech. It doesn’t even fit with most Inner Sphere combat units. The strategy needed to best understand and utilize this ‘Mech needs the right frame of mind. The best example is the fact that all copies of the Cephalus were all stripped for parts while the only thing holding back the Septicemia/Pariah and the Osteon from Clan use is the removal of the Nova CEWS.

To deploy & use this ‘Mech I would suggest 1 Cephalus per Trey and 2 per Sept. If you want to make use of the E variant as a sniper that’s fine, just make sure to add another fast Omni with Nova CEWS as a substitute spotter for the C3 network. Substitute spotters include the Mist Lynx Z, Viper Z, Septicemia B-Z, Septicemia US, or Stormcrow Z. As a spotter, the Cephalus wants to move as late in the order of movement as possible. This allows it to get to a sweet spot for the weapons of its two C3 mates as well as try to position for the best defensive modifiers and least amount of incoming fire. For the variants that have offensive weapons, finding the best location should take precedence over its own weapons fire.

When using a Sept with two Cephalus spotters, a good tactic is to rotate the spotters in the C3 networks often. This allows the spotters to run or jump between two key targets, allowing them to keep up their defensive movement modifiers even if the target units don’t move. Enemy units might allow themselves to be pulled out of position chasing a spotter.

Facing off against a force with a Cephalus, taking down the Cephalus spotter is key. The C3 network of Nova CEWS can only be blocked by a hostile Nova CEWS. This is very unlikely to occur, so you can’t rely on the typical tactics of electronically blocking the spotter. While the speed, defensive systems, and armor make damaging it tough, the XXL engine and small size make it fragile and likely to go down under sustained firepower. If the to-hit numbers are decent, not even good, hit it early, hit it often, and hit it until it’s dead since the Nova CEWS will transmit until the unit is shutdown or destroyed.

For what it was designed to do, this is a great ‘Mech, hard to hit, hard to block the Nova CEWS network, and it played against the typical Clan Warrior’s strategies of how combat should be fought. In the end, the only thing that led to the downfall of the Cephalus was the warriors who fought in it and the sheer numbers of Clan Warriors it faced off against.

ADDENDUM FOR DEFENSIVE SYSTEMS:
The Cephalus mounts both the Chameleon LPS and the Null-Sig systems. The two systems are similar to Stealth Armor, with each one granting a +1 to-hit for enemies firing at medium range and +2 for long/extreme range. The Chameleon generates 6 heat while active and the Null-Sig generates 10 heat. Both systems can be used together, giving a +2 at medium and +4 at long in addition to the normal +2 and +4 modifiers for range. The Null-Sig still functions while mechanizing Battle Armor (I'm not sure about mechanized Protos, that sounds like one for the rules questions). However, the Chameleon won't give any benefits while mechanizing BA. Combined with the XXL engine, standing still, with both systems on generates 18 heat, walking gets 20 heat, and running 22 heat. With only 10 double heat sinks, keeping both systems on will require careful heat management, especially once you factor in the weapons, jump jets, and AMS the variants.

Now the Null-Sig provides a few other benefits as well. If you are using hidden unit rules, Beagle Active Probes and Clan Active Probes and Light Active Probes can't detect a unit with Null-Sig. Heat-seeking weapons calculate their numbers as if the Null-Sig unit was 18 heat lower than it is. The rules state only a Bloodhound can penetrate a Null-Sig's masking.

In use on the Cephalus, I would run only one system, likely the Chameleon (lower heat generated) until the Cephlaus gets where it needs the extra modifier. That means either too many enemies are targeting it, or it is getting in to Medium rang for most of the enemy's weapons. At that point I would switch on both systems and just ride the heat scale as best I can. These defensive systems make it even more obvious that the Cephalus is not designed to deal out damage, but merely provide targeting data for the other two units in its Nova.
« Last Edit: 19 May 2017, 22:34:43 by wantec »
BEN ROME YOU MAGNIFICENT BASTARD, I READ YOUR BOOK!

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
Re: ‘Mech of the Week: Cephalus
« Reply #1 on: 19 May 2017, 13:14:01 »
Remember that unlike most C3 spotter mechs, the Chameleon LPS on this thing will make it tough to hit even if it stands still.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

wantec

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
« Reply #2 on: 19 May 2017, 13:18:01 »
Remember that unlike most C3 spotter mechs, the Chameleon LPS on this thing will make it tough to hit even if it stands still.
Yeah, I should probably do an addendum on the CLPS and Null-Sig. Hopefully I can get to that tonight

mbear

• Stood Far Back When The Gravitas Was Handed Out
  • Major
    • Tower of Jade
« Reply #3 on: 19 May 2017, 13:48:47 »
It sounds like using this is like using an Ostscout or Raven, but more so. With those two 'Mechs you are an observer with some firepower; The Cephalus is just an observer.

Though I could see the Cephalus U being used against Goliath Scorpion holdings. (IIRC they have/had a large number of underwater facilities.)
Be the Loremaster:

Battletech transport rules take a very feline approach to moving troops in a combat zone: If they fits, they ships.

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your BT experience. Now what? (Thanks Sartis!)

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs
« Reply #4 on: 19 May 2017, 14:35:23 »
Excellent article about this hi-tech force multiplier.  The Cephalus is as you said, a vital part of the Nova network, and if you let it do its job then you're in for a world of hurt as Seps and Osteons take nice big chunks out of your Mech. 

One thought, if we ever get an update on whats happening in the Homeworlds or they come a calling again, I can kind of see them breaking out the Nova CEWS.  They don't use it as its an abomination for typical Clan fights, but if the attacker/invader type folks gain ascendancy then they could just say everyone who's not TRUE Clan is Dezgra and use tech like this against IS/IS Clan forces.

I didn't realise or know that there was so many armed variants too, I thought this thing was a pure EW platform so thats good to know too :D
Ghost Bears: Cute and cuddly. Until you remember its a BLOODY BEAR!

Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs - https://thezhukovau.wordpress.com/

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #5 on: 19 May 2017, 16:29:10 »
Fantastic article.  Some folks haven't exposed to the Society technology i'd imagine or have read about it in a long time.  Good Refresher.

Cephalus's role is unique i think, in a Inner Sphere military this thing would be highly prized for value as spotter, scout, Battle Armor transport and support unit for conventional forces like the Gun is for the Capellans.

I think only issue is it's not going be super popular due to the limited number configs setup to actually be offensive.
I still think it's highly valuable unit though, even if it's gone the way of the Mackie due to it's taint of being Society machine and virtual non-combatant with Nova system in it.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Maingunnery

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Pirates and C3 masters are on the hitlist
« Reply #6 on: 19 May 2017, 16:34:30 »
I do get the sense that it was a rushed design (in universe). I think that if the Society had the time, they would have created and used improved Clan versions of Chameleon LPS & Null-Sig, while mounting the Laser-AMS in actual arm mounts.
Herb: "Well, now I guess we'll HAVE to print it. Sounds almost like the apocalypse I've been working for...."

The Society:Fan XTRO & Field Manual
Nebula California: HyperTube Xtreme
Nebula Confederation Ships

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs
« Reply #7 on: 20 May 2017, 01:42:22 »
Also one thing re the Cephalus.  Beautiful model and artwork, I loved the look of the Society's mechs.
Ghost Bears: Cute and cuddly. Until you remember its a BLOODY BEAR!

Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs - https://thezhukovau.wordpress.com/

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #8 on: 20 May 2017, 01:50:03 »
I do get the sense that it was a rushed design (in universe). I think that if the Society had the time, they would have created and used improved Clan versions of Chameleon LPS & Null-Sig, while mounting the Laser-AMS in actual arm mounts.

well, it does use the SLDF versions of those. ththe clans pretty much abandoned the tech, and i suspect thatjust getting the ability to build copies of the Star league versions took a lot of time and effort as it was. delaying things another several decades or more to figure out how to improve them liekly wouldn't work.

UnLimiTeD

• Captain
« Reply #9 on: 20 May 2017, 09:40:31 »
Great Article! Contains everything one could want from such an informative essay.  O0

I sometimes wonder how the hell Null-Sig is supposed to work with a Nova.
It is supposed to shunt all emisions, yet there's this big chunk of electronics blatantly transmitting information whenever it is in sight range of an enemy.
Or is it supposed to be a tiny turret locking onto it's mates and transferring in a tight beam?
Overall, the Cephalus is a great unit (that I've never used) specialized to it's utmost on one thing, and it's really good at it.
Anyone has any AS experience with that?
Savannah Masters are the Pringles of Battletech.
Ooo! OOOOOOO! That was a bad one!...and I liked it.

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #10 on: 20 May 2017, 12:30:43 »
does C3 require line of sight between the sharing units? if so, it could easily be a laser based system.

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • And I think it's gonna be a long, long time...
« Reply #11 on: 20 May 2017, 14:42:35 »
Problem with laser-based is you would think you'd then need to make to-hit rolls against friendlies to network.
"Does anyone know where the love of God goes / When the waves turn the minutes to hours?"
-- Gordon Lightfoot, "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald"

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #12 on: 20 May 2017, 16:52:27 »
Not really.  If it's broadcasting over a wide area it wouldn't be an issue.  After all, it's not a high-intensity beam that can melt metal.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Maingunnery

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #13 on: 20 May 2017, 17:10:40 »
Problem with laser-based is you would think you'd then need to make to-hit rolls against friendlies to network.
Well it isn't as if the pilot is aiming such lasers....
Herb: "Well, now I guess we'll HAVE to print it. Sounds almost like the apocalypse I've been working for...."

Moonsword

• Acutus Gladius
  • Global Moderator
  • Colonel
  • You interrupted me reading TROs for this?
« Reply #14 on: 21 May 2017, 10:28:45 »
There is a general principle underlying the game rules that C3 systems are not compatible with stealth on 'Mechs and vehicles.  The Cephallus is the exception that proves why.

does C3 require line of sight between the sharing units? if so, it could easily be a laser based system.

The current C3 rules do not require LOS for networking units to share data, only that units spotting and firing have clear LOS to the target.  However, C3 is not and has never been laser-based.

wantec

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
« Reply #15 on: 22 May 2017, 07:15:15 »
I was thinking about doing an update to the Osteon article to better describe the tactics for it in light of the intended Society uses, but I forgot that Paul had already done that quite nicely. Take a read, it's worth it.

http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=20031.msg460547#msg460547

Maingunnery

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #16 on: 22 May 2017, 11:01:19 »
I was thinking about doing an update to the Osteon article to better describe the tactics for it in light of the intended Society uses, but I forgot that Paul had already done that quite nicely. Take a read, it's worth it.

http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=20031.msg460547#msg460547

Nice bit of behind-the-scenes info, do you or Paul have anything that you could share about the Cephalus?

Iron Mongoose

• Lieutenant
  • Don't you know, you're all my very best friends
« Reply #17 on: 22 May 2017, 11:15:01 »
Tremendous article, that really puts the mech in perspective. I'd read Paul's thoughts on the Ostion previously, and this very much brought that to mind, which given that he had a role in designing the mechs and this simply comes from research and analysis represents quite a feat.

Of the three Society mechs, this is probably their technological crown jewel, since it's really the only one that opens up new tactical territory.  The Pariah is a great medium line fighter, all the better with Nova CEWS and some fantastic variants, and the Ostion is an above average brick of a mech, but having an electronic warfare mech that's got excellent speed, crazy stealth capabilities, and yet still manages a fair coat of armor and can sometimes bring guns along is something where, as was rightly pointed out, neither the Clans nor the IS have either an alternative or an answer. This is the mech on the cover of mech fashion magazines that gives Owenses and Striders self esteem issues (though unlike most real world cases, I feel a lot less sorry for the Owens and Strider).

Really, the only thing it leaves to be desired is a few tweaks to some of it's configurations (though most of it is my own preference) like perhaps one with a few extra DHS added to allow it to run both its stealth systems, and I'd have liked to see targeting computers on the D and/or E (Society gunners are by and large poor, and I'd take more hits with the large laser over some extra small lasers any day). 

And of course, one might wish for more availability.  It's a shame such a fantastic mech is consigned by it's makers' defeat to only a very narrow slice of history.  I'd love to try running a few Society-tech units staffed with high end Clan pilots against some high end WoB Maini Domini type units in a clash of the most advanced tech between units that were in truth made to fight one another to a degree.
"For my military knowledge, though I'm plucky and adventury,
Has only been brought down to the beginning of the century..."

UnLimiTeD

• Captain
« Reply #18 on: 22 May 2017, 11:47:29 »
Take a read, it's worth it.
Yup, I've read that twice by now, and it's certainly an excellent read. Creating a new faction with entirely new and novel approaches must have taken some consideration.
I also agree that this here is the machine that makes it work.
Kinda weird there's no supercharger variant.

mbear

• Major
    • Tower of Jade
« Reply #19 on: 22 May 2017, 13:36:59 »
And of course, one might wish for more availability.  It's a shame such a fantastic mech is consigned by it's makers' defeat to only a very narrow slice of history.  I'd love to try running a few Society-tech units staffed with high end Clan pilots against some high end WoB Maini Domini type units in a clash of the most advanced tech between units that were in truth made to fight one another to a degree.

I think you must do this because...uh...we have to be prepared for any contingency. Yeah. It's not because it'd be cool or fun. It's because we need to be prepared.
Be the Loremaster:

Battletech transport rules take a very feline approach to moving troops in a combat zone: If they fits, they ships.

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your BT experience. Now what? (Thanks Sartis!)

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #20 on: 22 May 2017, 14:16:57 »
well there are always the

gyedid

• Captain
  • Always brighter on the other side of the mirror.
« Reply #21 on: 22 May 2017, 22:25:10 »
I think you must do this because...uh...we have to be prepared for any contingency. Yeah. It's not because it'd be cool or fun. It's because we need to be prepared.

Didn't they already do this at a con once, 7 or 8 years ago?

cheers,

Gabe
So, now I'm imagining people boxing up Overlords for loading as cargo.  "Nope, totally not a DropShip.  Everyone knows you can't fit a DropShip in a WarShip!  It's...a ten thousand ton box of marshmallows!  Yeah.  For the Heavy Guards big annual smores party."
--Arkansas Warrior, on the possibility of carrying Dropships as cargo in Warship cargo bays.

TERRAN SUPREMACY DEFENSE FORCE.  For when you want to send the SLDF, but couldn't afford the whole kit and kaboodle.

Firesprocket

• Captain
  • Broke the Bandwagon
« Reply #22 on: 22 May 2017, 22:55:12 »
At least one that I know of.  I'd have to image it gets really quickly with the WoB and the various MD implants.

gyedid

• Captain
  • Always brighter on the other side of the mirror.
« Reply #23 on: 23 May 2017, 01:45:43 »
At least one that I know of.  I'd have to image it gets really quickly with the WoB and the various MD implants.

Point taken, but remember that in most cases the MD are stuck with shorter-ranged Inner Sphere weapons.  I think that the Society's tech gives them just enough advantages that even a green Society force could probably take Apollyon's Own.  Might end up being a Pyrrhic victory but the Society would still come out on top.

cheers,

Gabe 
So, now I'm imagining people boxing up Overlords for loading as cargo.  "Nope, totally not a DropShip.  Everyone knows you can't fit a DropShip in a WarShip!  It's...a ten thousand ton box of marshmallows!  Yeah.  For the Heavy Guards big annual smores party."
--Arkansas Warrior, on the possibility of carrying Dropships as cargo in Warship cargo bays.

TERRAN SUPREMACY DEFENSE FORCE.  For when you want to send the SLDF, but couldn't afford the whole kit and kaboodle.

Iron Mongoose

• Lieutenant
« Reply #24 on: 23 May 2017, 04:48:48 »

cheers,

Gabe

Perhaps, but not having been there, I'm left to fend for myself (though if someone who witnessed or participated wants to recount the event, is be all ears).

Honestly, much like any game, it would come down to how you balance it, and if you get that right, then it comes down to skill.  Unit for unit, I'd have Manai Domini in Celestials over Society troopers even in Society mechs. But with real top Clan warriors, unit for unit it's tempting to give supercharged clan tech the edge.

wantec

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
« Reply #25 on: 23 May 2017, 06:52:12 »

cheers,

Gabe
Didn't do it at a Con, but we did do it in a local game once, Paul, Ben, Hellbie, Knightmare (up on a trip to the area), Cavingjan, myself, and others. Society won that one, partly due to luck (accidentally flushing out a hidden Havalah Cazer in her Seraph Havalah by moving next to it), and partly due to a vehicle Un among the society forces. It's really tough to balance the two sides for an even battle.

I think had the MD shown up at any point prior to the Society revealing themselves, there's a good chance the Society cancels their plans, turns to the Warrior caste and goes "here look at these new weapons, technology, 'Mechs, and Protos that we've been developing that just recently reached the prototype stage". Remember, the Society didn't want to wipe out the Clans as a whole, they just thought they should be the ones in charge. It was only the Bloody ilKhan's declarations of "taint" and expanded/modified Trials of Reaving that forced the Society out of the darkness. In the end, I think the battle would have come down as a MD in Celestials vs Society 'Mechs/tech with Clan Warriors at the helm. They may not have used the C3 part of Nova CEWS, but it still has the super ECM and Active Probe tech that would have worked well against the MD C3i, hidden units, and MD infantry.

mbear

• Major
    • Tower of Jade
« Reply #26 on: 23 May 2017, 07:25:51 »
I think had the MD shown up at any point prior to the Society revealing themselves, there's a good chance the Society cancels their plans, turns to the Warrior caste and goes "here look at these new weapons, technology, 'Mechs, and Protos that we've been developing that just recently reached the prototype stage". Remember, the Society didn't want to wipe out the Clans as a whole, they just thought they should be the ones in charge. It was only the Bloody ilKhan's declarations of "taint" and expanded/modified Trials of Reaving that forced the Society out of the darkness. In the end, I think the battle would have come down as a MD in Celestials vs Society 'Mechs/tech with Clan Warriors at the helm. They may not have used the C3 part of Nova CEWS, but it still has the super ECM and Active Probe tech that would have worked well against the MD C3i, hidden units, and MD infantry.

But would the Clan warriors have accepted the Cephalus and Nova CEWS? If not what would the Cephalus become? A new Fire Moth used to deliver Elementals? ProtoMech support? Scout unit?
Be the Loremaster:

Moonsword

• Acutus Gladius
  • Global Moderator
  • Colonel
  • You interrupted me reading TROs for this?
« Reply #27 on: 23 May 2017, 07:28:06 »
In the end, I think the battle would have come down as a MD in Celestials vs Society 'Mechs/tech with Clan Warriors at the helm. They may not have used the C3 part of Nova CEWS, but it still has the super ECM and Active Probe tech that would have worked well against the MD C3i, hidden units, and MD infantry.

Where does it say in the rules that Nova's ECM and active probe are superior to the standard versions?  (Other than being able to jam Nova C3 links, I mean.)  The way they're phrased, it reads to me like it's a 3 hex active probe and Guardian-level ECM effect.

wantec

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
« Reply #28 on: 23 May 2017, 08:47:13 »
Where does it say in the rules that Nova's ECM and active probe are superior to the standard versions?  (Other than being able to jam Nova C3 links, I mean.)  The way they're phrased, it reads to me like it's a 3 hex active probe and Guardian-level ECM effect.
My bad, I was misremembering the rules on it. Since the Nova C3 link can only be blocked by a hostile Nova CEWS, I thought the ECM and Active Probe functioned the same, just at reduced range. But even at the basic level, the ECM will block MD C3I systems and the Active Probe will help find MD BA & Infantry.

Iron Mongoose

• Lieutenant
« Reply #29 on: 23 May 2017, 11:18:30 »

This was, if maybe not exactly what I think would go down, basically the conceit for my proposed scenario. 

Imagine the Third Transfer goes as planned, the WoB reveals itself and its' mission to the Inner Sphere and, as the WoB expected and unlike canon, the nations of the Inner Sphere get on board and a terrible Jihad is unleashed not against the Inner Sphere but against the Clans.  I think that after a few reversals, seeing a few elite homeworlds units go down to the Maini Domini, losing a few key worlds, the Clans would get desperate enough not just to use iATMs and iHeavy Lasers, but absolutely any tool in the disloyal scientists'' freebirth toolbox, so you might see ultra elite Clan warriors strapping into Ostions and Cephaluses and Periahs (though in that case, modified standard omnis would probably work better and be easier to use) and turning on their Nova CEWS.  Now, I'll grant that these most elite Clan warriors are usually the most conservative, but damn it above all Clan warriors know how to follow orders and they know how to prioritize victory over defeat.  After a few campaigns, some Nova CEWS equipped units fall anyway, but a few start to learn the technology (perhaps Adder units that had drilled for combat with the Inner Sphere, or Spirit or Mandrill or Cobra units that are so tight knit that trust among members is easier to build) and that's the sort of unit I'd imagine putting against the really top Manai Domini units on a unit for unit level.

That said, I think more traditional Clanners could be deadly in a Cephalus D or E.  Take a star with two Ds and three Es out to both scout and delay the enemy so the bulk of the cluster can move into position.  Ds make contact, then the Es concentrate fire on any units in range of one or the other D (naturally, you need to get creative with CEWS and star formation) while the Ds fight until either their armor is low, then pop their camo and bail (no true Clanner would do this unless under the strictest orders, and 50/50 even then, but maybe some freebirth could be found to take the job) or else just go out in a blaze of iHLL glory (or just win the battle I suppose).

Maingunnery

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #30 on: 23 May 2017, 11:23:02 »
But would the Clan warriors have accepted the Cephalus and Nova CEWS? If not what would the Cephalus become? A new Fire Moth used to deliver Elementals? ProtoMech support? Scout unit?
I think that they would only have started using the Cephalus, after running out of Fire Moths....

The generation of surviving warriors might have become more liberal about weapon technology and at the end say "more toys please".

YingJanshi

• Major
  • Switch Friend Code: SW-4326-4622-8514
« Reply #31 on: 26 May 2017, 18:26:39 »
Now...just imagine for a moment how the Society 'Mechs would have turned out if they'd (somehow, someway) had access to Clan Interface Cockpits...

CIC + NCEWS = "Yikes!!"

Initiate of the Order of Valhalla

(HBS: Backer #4,960)
(Clan Invasion: Backer #314)
(Mercenaries: Backer #6,017)

mbear

• Major
    • Tower of Jade
« Reply #32 on: 30 May 2017, 08:53:10 »
well there are always the

It took me way too long to realize you were talking about the Green Ghosts.
Be the Loremaster:

Nov. Col.

• Sergeant
« Reply #33 on: 23 June 2017, 08:33:36 »
Now...just imagine for a moment how the Society 'Mechs would have turned out if they'd (somehow, someway) had access to Clan Interface Cockpits...

CIC + NCEWS = "Yikes!!"

A Star or so of Nova equipped Ryoken IIIs?

Crow

• Master Sergeant
  • Scientist-General
« Reply #34 on: 31 July 2017, 09:59:19 »
I find it strange that there isn't an iATM equipped Cephalus variant, tbh
YOU DARE REFUSE MY BOOF?

wantec

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
« Reply #35 on: 31 July 2017, 11:51:24 »
I find it strange that there isn't an iATM equipped Cephalus variant, tbh
That falls under the "wrong way of thinking" that the scientists exploited against the warriors. First off, it only has 5.5 tons available which could get you a pair of iATM 3s with 2.5 tons for ammo and other stuff. Or a single iATM 6 with 2 tons for ammo and extras. That's not much to work with as some of the lighter Omnis have shown with their ATM variants. The true job of a Cephalus is spotting for it's Trey/Sept. If it's engaging in regular combat, it's doing it wrong.

What's more likely, would have been a variant with 2-3 Fusillades and some extra stuff. That gives it some options for a few specialty ammo shots if a great target, or the need, arises, but not enough to tempt a pilot into getting himself out of his role.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #36 on: 31 July 2017, 11:54:17 »
That falls under the "wrong way of thinking" that the scientists exploited against the warriors. First off, it only has 5.5 tons available which could get you a pair of iATM 3s with 2.5 tons for ammo and other stuff. Or a single iATM 6 with 2 tons for ammo and extras. That's not much to work with as some of the lighter Omnis have shown with their ATM variants. The true job of a Cephalus is spotting for it's Trey/Sept. If it's engaging in regular combat, it's doing it wrong.

What's more likely, would have been a variant with 2-3 Fusillades and some extra stuff. That gives it some options for a few specialty ammo shots if a great target, or the need, arises, but not enough to tempt a pilot into getting himself out of his role.

Essentially a Ostscout OmniMech
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Crow

• Master Sergeant
  • Scientist-General
« Reply #37 on: 01 August 2017, 02:37:48 »

Point taken, but 2x iATM3 with two tons of ammo and a Light TAG is fine by me.

If the Cephalus was really meant not to engage (like the primary), I'm not sure why the D and E configs exist
YOU DARE REFUSE MY BOOF?

wantec

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
« Reply #38 on: 01 August 2017, 06:44:11 »
Point taken, but 2x iATM3 with two tons of ammo and a Light TAG is fine by me.

If the Cephalus was really meant not to engage (like the primary), I'm not sure why the D and E configs exist
Out of universe, I'd say the D & E exist to give players something to do with a Cephalus. This is still a game and it's about having fun. Not a lot of folks find enjoyment from moving a spotter around without ever getting to fire back. So I'd say these are to make some variants that actually have offensive weapons.

In universe, I'd say the heavy lasers of the D give it a few weapons in case it has to fight its way out of harm or gets a really great chance at a headcapping shot. The E is a sniper and can take pot shots from long range acting as a back up spotter. Once the main spotter goes down, the E gives up firing and moves in as a spotter.

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #39 on: 01 August 2017, 15:33:51 »
in setting, i suspect the D and E exist because sometimes you need a fast moving harrasser and don't have any other chassis available to your cell.

UnLimiTeD

• Captain
« Reply #40 on: 02 August 2017, 05:12:45 »
That's kind of the point of an OmniMech, no?
Would be weird to have a fast configurable design and not a single config with a serious punch.

Crow

• Master Sergeant
  • Scientist-General
« Reply #41 on: 02 August 2017, 06:36:55 »
in setting, i suspect the D and E exist because sometimes you need a fast moving harrasser and don't have any other chassis available to your cell.

The Cephalus D reminds me a lot functionally as an EW Solitaire, tbh
YOU DARE REFUSE MY BOOF?

Natasha Kerensky

• Major
  • Queen of Spades, First Lady of Death, Black Widow
« Reply #42 on: 02 August 2017, 08:58:15 »

IMP and IIW warheads are actually the perfect complement to the Cephalus's speed and spotting role.  They degrade the target's accuracy, firepower, and mobility, making it easier and safer for the Cephalus to maintain contact until its Nova CEWS-mates take down the target.  I wish there was a canon configuration with a couple iATM-3s or an iATM-6.

If there are fluff concerns about giving a Cephalus too much ammo and it staying out in the field too long, then apply iOS rules to iATM-3s.  (Simulates the Fusillade on an omnimech while remaining rules-legal.)  An iATM-3(iOS) will weigh one ton, so a Cephalus could carry five and a light TAG unit.  Since iATMs have Streak capability, no iOS shots will go to waste.  And 15 IMP or IIW warheads will cripple an omnimech or two.
"Ah, yes.  The belle dame sans merci.  The sweet young thing who will blast your nuts off.  The kitten with a whip.  That mystique?"
"Slavish adherence to formal ritual is a sign that one has nothing better to think about."
"Variety is the spice of battle."
"I've fought in... what... a hundred battles, a thousand battles?  It could be a million as far as I know.  I've fought for anybody who offered a decent contract and a couple who didn't.  And the universe is not much different after all that.  I could go on fighting for another hundred years and it would still look the same."
"I'm in mourning for my life."
"Those who break faith with the Unity shall go down into darkness."

Register