Author Topic: Repost: Vehicle of the Week Update: Asshur  (Read 3935 times)

Moonsword

• Acutus Gladius
  • Global Moderator
  • Colonel
  • You interrupted me reading TROs for this?
Repost: Vehicle of the Week Update: Asshur
« on: 02 February 2011, 20:20:29 »
Vehicle of the Week Update: Asshur

In this edition of Vehicle of the Week Updates, we see a fine example of Clan engineering lobotomized as we cover the Asshur!  Named for one of the grandsons of Noah via Shem and implied to be the father of the Assyrians in Biblical accounts, the Asshur is a combination of reconnaissance vehicle and skirmisher in one fairly impressive package.  Initially intended as a recon unit, the Blood Spirits later replaced it with the lighter, faster Shamash.

Okay, down to brass tacks.  The Asshur is built off of a 20 ton hover chassis.  With three tons of FF (now distributed 13/11/9/13 due to a change in armor rounding rules in TM), the armor is light in some ways but impressive enough.  The nose and turret can take 14 points of damage (two hits from Clan medium lasers) without popping, while the stern can survive a ten point hit.  You can't survive a Gauss rifle or Clan ER PPC hit anywhere, but the armor is thick enough for a light, swift unit as long as the driver is careful.  At 9/14, it's slower than the likes of the Shamash, J. Edgar, or Savannah Master, but still faster than most 'Mechs and capable of pulling a +3 TMM at cruise while still turning a couple of times or going uphill once.  (Dashers are the most prominent exception to come to mind, although a Dart can pace one.)  Since all of the Asshur variants have ammo, it's a good thing CASE is integrated into the frame.  The baseline chassis is useful and capable, but there's plenty of vehicles that have started from a good chassis and gone horribly wrong.

What makes the Asshur stand out is the firepower some enterprising fellow packed into the turret.  Both of the original models from TRO3060 have two ERMLs and a single Streak SRM 6.  Where they differ is that the first ones off the line mounted twin machine guns on the front. Since infantry is more something you run into on hovercraft than get flanked by, their placement on the nose probably isn't as big an issue as it might be on some vehicles.  If you're not looking to play spotter, this model is also very useful, especially if your friends like to field infantry occasionally, although an Asshur's armor is thin enough that the MGs are more useful for suppression fire than they are making infantry-hunting a good idea on this chassis.  The BV of both of these is relatively high, though - 930 on the original and 952 for the MG variant.  Overall, though, in a book ripe with oddball and just plain bad Clan vehicles, the original models of the Asshur are useful and capable.

In response to the introduction of the Shamash (apparently the Blood Spirits weren't using the machine guns that much), the Asshur was moved to more of a spotter role with that useful TAG mounted on the front in place of the machine guns.  It's not as useful as it would be in the turret, unfortunately, but there's no room up there without removing weapons or reducing the size of the Streak launcher, and the Asshur is at least fast enough to be able to eat a turn if necessary to bring the TAG to bear, while points operating together can probably keep a target under the little red dot fairly effectively.  Just be careful to watch the arcs as you move if you're planning on calling down fire from the heavens.  Under the old BMR rules, the TAG was less useful in many circumstances than the guns, and you couldn't fire both at the same time under BMR rules.  When TW came out, things changed, dramatically increasing the utility of TAG on this variant by freeing it from an either/or decision on spotting or engaging with its own weapons.

The newest variant, from RS3060U, is a bit... offbeat and raises a few interesting questions.  I suspect it's a new-build variant - 95 rated engines don't have a lot of uses other than on hovercraft, which implies they aren't being stripped - given the number of changes from the original, and appears to be fielded mainly by the Jade Falcons.  ComStar evidently ran into at least one during a botched attempt to steal a Falcon supply cache somewhere in their OZ in 3072.  The first change is the fuel cell engine, replacing the fusion engine I mentioned, and also removing the 'free' heat sinks that the ERMLs were using.  It also freed up a half-ton, which was used by switching to standard armor and going to a 14/10/9/13 distribution.  (It can now take an ER PPC or Gauss shot to the nose, though.)  Okay, fine, I can deal with that, even if it's a bit odd.  Hey, an LRM 20 on the back would make a pretty hefty weapon replacement for a cheap recon unit, although you now have to worry about gas (not that much, since it probably runs on hydrogen, but still...).  However, that's not what the Falcons did.  Instead, they replaced the weapons with a ProtoMech AC/8, with its 3/7/10 range, and ten rounds of ammo.  So, basically, now you have to close into range of just about everything in the Clan inventory and most of the nastier things in the Inner Sphere's to do much of anything, you do one more damage than a normal Clan medium laser without either's range (or the MPL's accuracy, for that matter), etc.  Nice attempt to use a new weapon, somewhat botched implementation, but at least the BV2 of 333 is low enough to use them in packs.  I think I'd prefer either an ERML or MPL, though, combined with some machine guns to take advantage of the free heat sink from the fuel cell engine.  The longer reach would be useful and anti-infantry weapons would come in handy against insurgents.

Those questions I mentioned: First, why are the Falcons switching to the use of fuel cells?  Attempting to use native industry more efficiently?  Second, why are they buying ProtoMech autocannons?  They're not very useful for non-Protos, honestly, compared to Clan LRMs.  Shiny toy syndrome may explain a lot, though.  Third, are they building these things new (which I suspect is the case, although the Falcons are notably not a vehicle-loving Clan) or have they found some use for the engines somewhere else?  And, to add to it after one of Jellico's comments below, are the Falcons actually the ones building these things, or did the design originate with another Clan?

EDIT: Edited in response to a correction by Jellico and to add one more question based on his commentary.

(Later edit to reflect some boneheaded moves on my part during the original article's creation...)

Image Reference: Due to the way the database groups units, the MUL data for the Asshur is more readily accessible if I link to the spotter and the reconnaissance models directly.  The Asshur is represented on CamoSpecs in the colors of the Blood Guard Keshik.
« Last Edit: 15 June 2011, 21:03:56 by Moonsword »

GreyWolfActual

• CDT Global Events Developer
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
Re: Repost: Vehicle of the Week Update: Asshur
« Reply #1 on: 02 February 2011, 22:16:43 »
Vehicle of the Week Update: Asshur

In this edition of Vehicle of the Week Updates, we see GWA get bitten on the rump by rules changes

Under the old BMR rules, the TAG was less useful in many circumstances than the guns, and you couldn't fire both at the same time as GWA quite correctly points out... under BMR rules.  When TW came out, things changed, dramatically increasing the utility of TAG on this variant.
Actually, in my original article, which I will be reposting below, I never said that at all.  In fact, given that the article was written after 2006, I was now only well aware of the rules change, but even specifically said as much in correction of another poster.
"My name is Saul Tigh. I'm an officer in the Colonial Fleet. Whatever else I am, whatever else it means, that's the man I want to be. And if I die today, that's the man I'll be."
-Saul Tigh

GreyWolfActual

• CDT Global Events Developer
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #2 on: 02 February 2011, 22:17:34 »
Quote from: GWA, 23 December 2006, 11:35:06
There aren’t many clan vehicles left to cover, but of those that are left, there are still a few gems, and the Asshur Artillery Spotter is one of them.

The second ilKhan, Jerome Winson, commissioned a whole bunch of vehicles.  The Asshur was the lightest of them.  It was supposed to be a recon vehicle and in that role it sufficed for several decades until the Blood Spirits replaced it with the Shamash.  The Asshur quickly fouund itself replaced (instead of supplemented) by the Shamash and was destined for the junk yard until the Spirits decided to make some modifications and leave us with the Artillery Spotter we have today.

The Asshur is pretty small, twenty tons.  However, on that chassis is a lot of oomph.  Its not the fastest unit out there, 9/14, but its faster than most of its rivals in size and its hover chassis is enough to give mechs a good chase.  As usual, it is powered by a fusion engine.

Twenty tons aren’t going to be wraped in sheaths of armor even if you want them to, but the Asshur does a pretty good job with its three tons of ferro.  The fifty-eigh points of armor it has are spread out in a 13/11/10/13 pattern.  Its unfortunate because with only two IS on the front and turret, and ER PPC or Gauss Rifle will blow through the Asshur in one shot.  Nevertheless, its pretty good for a recon vehicle or spotter.  With any luck, it’ll last you one turn which you should use to get the hell out of Dodge.

Should you need to fight your way out of Dodge, you are, however, well stocked to put out some pain.  The turret contains all the guns and what guns they are.  The free heat sinks are used up by a pair of ER Medium Lasers while extra punch is provided by a Streak 6 with a ton of ammo in the body.  Those are two of the best weapons systems in the entire clan arsenal.  You can zoom in, smack whatever you want to, and zoom out.

However, strike missions are not the point of the Asshur Artillery Spotter.  The Asshur also carries a TAG in the front.  If you like TAG arty then an Asshur is a good thing to have.  It’ll give you a pair of TAG units (if you take two Asshurs in a single point) with which to lay some loving down.  Even better, your firepower means that you don’t have to worry about token units coming to hunt you down, you can smack around most small units.

There is a problem, though.  The Asshur has kick ass firepower.  If you just want a TAG unit, you’re better off going somewhere else.  A BV of 809 each means you’re paying for some expensive hovercraft.

The only variant is the original which pops out the TAG and drops in, what I presume are front mounted, a pair of machine guns with a half ton of ammo.  This is a pretty good strike variant.  It has all the power of the original with a lot more anti-infantry capabilities.

I’d be very tempted to make the Asshur a dedicated recon or strike vehicle.  Pull the TAG for an Active Probe or an ECM if you want to mask it.  Heck, one of each in a point and you have a mean little duo.

Most clans have the Asshur so everyone can have some fun with this.  Pair them with Shamashs or just use them alone.  Sight for a Huey or Padilla or just strikes at weak units.  The Asshur can do a lot and is pretty flexible so have fun with it.  Your opponents probably won’t.
"My name is Saul Tigh. I'm an officer in the Colonial Fleet. Whatever else I am, whatever else it means, that's the man I want to be. And if I die today, that's the man I'll be."
-Saul Tigh

Iron Mongoose

• Lieutenant
  • Don't you know, you're all my very best friends
« Reply #3 on: 03 February 2011, 02:23:09 »
The crappy low tech proto derived veriant isn't the end of the world in the ultra low cost role, which is probably the same as it serves IC.  Standard armor, a cheap engine that can't be used on mechs, a weapon designed for protos, which I don't think the Falcons like much or use much, and a 'warrior' who's something of a second class citizen.  Its pretty much just cobbled together from the parts bin and thrown into battle to hope for the best.  Its rock bottem BV is actualy less than a J Edgar or Harrasser, just a hair more than an old Scorpion, and about 50% more than a Savannah Master.  Granted, you're getting about the same combat abilities, so the value is the same, but its a unit that lets you take the sort of forces that the IS can often field in terms of numbers with out having to find a bunch of 'mothballed' SL units to field, and you can pull a very in cherictor update of the Savannah Master swarm to cover your over priced Turkinas and Night Gyrs.

As for the basic model, I agree with GWA's assessment that they hit so damn hard, its almost a shame to focus just on spotting.  A point of them could bring down a smaller mech while the TAGed missiles are still in the air, with a bit of luck and skill.  Cost is a bit of a problem, since they compare against low end lights like the Locust IIC or Mist Lynx (which I'd probably sooner take in the spotter role) but they actualy hit harder than either mech (power is the same as a Mist Lynx B, which I think is the best veriant, and which costs 30% more) and go faster, so there is some good value there, up untill you take a hover crit and can't move anymore.  If I was a Horse or Spirit and I had to take some tanks, these would be on the short list.  But if I wasn't, I wouldn't feel cheated about it, I don't think.
"For my military knowledge, though I'm plucky and adventury,
Has only been brought down to the beginning of the century..."

Moonsword

• Acutus Gladius
  • Global Moderator
  • Colonel
  • You interrupted me reading TROs for this?
« Reply #4 on: 03 February 2011, 08:08:48 »
GWA: Must have misread it, then.  I do not care for making false accusations and it appears I've done so, though not by intent.  My apologies.  I'll edit the article if you'd like.

EDIT: Meh, I'll do it anyway.  Again, my apologies.

The crappy low tech proto derived veriant isn't the end of the world in the ultra low cost role, which is probably the same as it serves IC.  Standard armor, a cheap engine that can't be used on mechs, a weapon designed for protos, which I don't think the Falcons like much or use much, and a 'warrior' who's something of a second class citizen.  Its pretty much just cobbled together from the parts bin and thrown into battle to hope for the best.  Its rock bottem BV is actualy less than a J Edgar or Harrasser, just a hair more than an old Scorpion, and about 50% more than a Savannah Master.  Granted, you're getting about the same combat abilities, so the value is the same, but its a unit that lets you take the sort of forces that the IS can often field in terms of numbers with out having to find a bunch of 'mothballed' SL units to field, and you can pull a very in cherictor update of the Savannah Master swarm to cover your over priced Turkinas and Night Gyrs.

A good point (I'll note that this is one of my earlier VotW articles and was not much altered for reposting - that EDIT comment is in the source on my hard drive).  As noted in the article, what those parts are doing in the bin is an issue I'd kind of like to know.
« Last Edit: 03 February 2011, 08:34:46 by Moonsword »

Register