Author Topic: Operation Revival OmniMech Review: Ice Ferret (Fenris)  (Read 15300 times)

Nahuris

• Captain
Re: Operation Revival OmniMech Review: Ice Ferret (Fenris)
« Reply #30 on: 13 May 2015, 01:08:26 »
Now, to me, the Ice Ferret is a better design, the later the era gets. At the time it was introduced, in game, during Operation Revival.... and facing Inner Sphere, it is really a medium scout hunter. It is very good for hunting Pheonix Hawks, and Cicadas, along with providing fast support, once Zel is broken, and being a pretty good Elemental Taxi. But once you add in designs like the Wraith... and others like it, in later eras, you have a design that can carry a Clan PPC, and still control range. It also has other advantages, considering it is faster than a Pack Hunter, and can be reconfigured. Finally, in the Dark Ages, you get a design that can outrun the Republic's Blade, and even hope to keep up with a Nyx, at least long enough to hurt it. And it does this, without heat issues ......

Yes, it "could" have been designed better, but it is not hopelessly flawed, either ...... in it's prime configuration, you gain an active probe on a platform that is both, fast enough to act as a recon or scout unit, and is armed, and armored, heavily enough to extract itself from engagements with units typically assigned to hunt Scouts. It can even run away from heavier units, while providing it's own cover fire by torso twisting to use that ERPPC....

While the rest of the variants to have their charms, the prime has always been the one I use, if and when I use clan forces, and field one... I have found little that is better than a Clan ERPPC, for most situations ---

Nahuris
"A friend will calm you down when you are angry, but a BEST friend will skip along beside you with a baseball bat singing "someone's gonna get it."

"If we are ever in a situation, where I am the voice of reason, we are in a very bad situation."

A. Lurker

• Major
« Reply #31 on: 13 May 2015, 01:27:33 »
I'd say the Ice Ferret's main design flaw are those two extra fixed heat sinks in the engine. Not only does it barely use them in most canon configs and could easily recoup a couple of tons for payload (or perhaps a bit less with the difference rounding out the armor) by just running the base ten -- it also for all its advanced construction would readily have the crit space to just pod-mount them back in if desired, and that way they could even serve as a bit of additional padding.

On the other actuator, that does already seem to be about the worst I really can say about the 'Mech. ;)

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs
« Reply #32 on: 13 May 2015, 08:41:27 »
I'm still glad that folks are discussing this write up :)
Ghost Bears: Cute and cuddly. Until you remember its a BLOODY BEAR!

Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs - https://thezhukovau.wordpress.com/

master arminas

• Captain
« Reply #33 on: 13 May 2015, 10:24:12 »
While the rest of the variants to have their charms, the prime has always been the one I use, if and when I use clan forces, and field one... I have found little that is better than a Clan ERPPC, for most situations ---

Nahuris

Perhaps a Clan ER PPC with a Targeting Computer?  :)

MA

blitzy

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #34 on: 13 May 2015, 18:50:54 »
Heavy lasers too, maybe a mix of a ER Large and some heavy mediums.
"..and like children playing after sunset, we were surrounded by darkness."  -Ruri Hoshino

Nahuris

• Captain
« Reply #35 on: 13 May 2015, 21:43:03 »
It's an Omni, so all of that is a possibility ---- the point, though is that it is what it is. We have to consider that the Clans utilize designs differently --- and this is a design that is very much in that mold. It is a medium scout, and a victim of a rules change. At the time it came out, only SRM2's and Streak SRM2's could use infernos ---- which meant that the Streak SRM2 could be used to devastate vehicles, which posed a risk to scouts. Hovers and Light mechs are the big threats to a scout unit, and here, you have a design that out ranges any IS design that has the speed to keep with it --- has a solid 15 point hit, which can pretty much blow through the armor of any unit fast enough to keep up with it, and, at the time, could burn any vehicle that posed a threat to it too.......

Times, and some rules, have changed ---- some things that were more effective, aren't what they were..... but overall, the design is solid. Fast enough to be hard to hit, while having enough armor to function, even if you do hit it. And, usually, with a big enough gun that it can put some hurt on things, while it fulfills it's role on the field.

Yeah, there may be some complaints, but I have yet to see a mech that doesn't have some complaint from someone..... and for the era it was created in, the Fenris does a solid job.

Nahuris
"A friend will calm you down when you are angry, but a BEST friend will skip along beside you with a baseball bat singing "someone's gonna get it."

"If we are ever in a situation, where I am the voice of reason, we are in a very bad situation."

Register