Author Topic: fuel price increases  (Read 33863 times)

agen2

• Captain
  • Il sobillatore.
fuel price increases
« on: 08 March 2011, 00:40:39 »
In view of recent geopolitical events, here in Italy today petrol is € 1.56 per liter. [tickedoff]
PS:
1 liter is 0.26 US liquid gallon.

FedSunsBorn

• Captain
Re: fuel price increases
« Reply #1 on: 08 March 2011, 00:45:10 »
Yeah, I am in North America and gas went up to $3.54 a gallon in less then a week. It was around $2.60 previously. It really bites not having close to energy independence.
Made by HikageMaru

Cannon_Fodder

• Warrant Officer
  • Dream of freedom from the 2d6 bell curve.
« Reply #2 on: 08 March 2011, 01:23:29 »
Without getting too into the politics, if the outcomes of the events help the people of those regions I don't mind paying a few extra dollars a fill-up while they try to make their countries and lives better.

Avatar by ShadowRaven  Sig banner by HikageMaru

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #3 on: 08 March 2011, 01:25:17 »
Folks: no politics. I can't see how this can't get there sooner or later - but I'm prepared to be proven wrong.

In the words of Megatron, "Don't fail me again" ...

Worktroll, Moderator.
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Batman

• Warrant Officer
  • You have the ability to instill great fear
« Reply #4 on: 08 March 2011, 01:59:28 »
I paid $3.85 this morning at Valero. Chevron was asking for $3.95 and two others near my area were at $3.91. It's crazy. It's like it went up overnight here. There's a Chevron not too far from here asking for $4.15. I was barely scraping by last month. I'm not going to last much longer at this rate because my wages haven't gone up. Things got so bad a few weeks ago I was thinking about selling my Battletech and comic stuff. My wife convinced me not to. Bay Area's a lost cause now for me. I'm just waiting until the end of the school year so I can move to a place with better job prospects.

agen2

• Captain
  • Il sobillatore.
« Reply #5 on: 08 March 2011, 02:11:24 »
Without getting too into the politics, if the outcomes of the events help the people of those regions I don't mind paying a few extra dollars a fill-up while they try to make their countries and lives better.

:-X

Yes but I'm paying for a gallon something like 8$. #P

mathesont

• Lieutenant
« Reply #6 on: 08 March 2011, 02:23:09 »
Hovering right around $4 a gallon.  Talked to a friend who lives in the mountains north of Truckee today and their local station is $5.39.

Kargush

• Sergeant
  • Grenades cost extra
« Reply #7 on: 08 March 2011, 02:26:47 »
Come to Norway and try those petrol prices on for size...

We pay about the same as the price listed in the OP, but that's even with peace and quiet. And as a nation with its own oil supply, no less.

You'd think a dollar more per gallon was the end of the world.

EDIT: Made a double-check. We pay about $10 per gallon.
« Last Edit: 08 March 2011, 02:28:43 by Kargush »
Buy'ce gal, buy'ce tal
Vebor'ad ures aliit
Mhi draar baat'i meg'parjii'se
Kote lo'shebs'ul narit.

4th Donegal Guards
7th Sword of Light
1st Canopian Cuirassiers

agen2

• Captain
  • Il sobillatore.
« Reply #8 on: 08 March 2011, 02:49:30 »
Come to Norway and try those petrol prices on for size...

We pay about the same as the price listed in the OP, but that's even with peace and quiet. And as a nation with its own oil supply, no less.

You'd think a dollar more per gallon was the end of the world.

EDIT: Made a double-check. We pay about $10 per gallon.

Keep in mind that being "poor" or jobless in Norway is not as' tragic as it might be for other countries (see Italy and even the U.S.).Norway look like one of the best country in the wordl  in a wellfare rate.

Drop Bear

• Lieutenant
« Reply #9 on: 08 March 2011, 02:55:00 »
Wow and I thought paying around $US6-8 a US Gallon (depending on conversion and part of the petrol cycle) was bad, but $US10 a Gallon, well folks parked their cars last time it hit $2 a litre hear in OZ, we had a public transport meltdown hear in Briz-Vegas as we literally ran out of Trains, Buses and Faeries, even after we rushed those on Maintenance Stand-down back in to service.

Iron Mongoose

• Lieutenant
  • Don't you know, you're all my very best friends
« Reply #10 on: 08 March 2011, 03:04:55 »
Its not the only factor though.  Yes, by comparison $3.70 is pretty cheap, but because housing prices where I work are so high, I've got little choice but to drive 17 miles to and from work, and my wife the same, so in a day we do 68 miles of driving just for work, plus anything we do for recreation or seeing our families (who live about 10 miles away).  We've done the math, and its cheaper to do that driving than live in town, which shows how much it costs to live in town (and what a sweet deal we've got).  So if you're in a city and you can ride the bus or subway to work, or if you're drive is short, than $10 for gas (with some going to pay for desirable government services) is not so bad.  But if you go through two or three or more gallons of gas in a day and the price goes up a dollar a gallon, then the cost is $2-3 a day more, and that adds up pretty fast.
"For my military knowledge, though I'm plucky and adventury,
Has only been brought down to the beginning of the century..."

Kargush

• Sergeant
  • Grenades cost extra
« Reply #11 on: 08 March 2011, 03:06:07 »
Keep in mind that being "poor" or jobless in Norway is not as' tragic as it might be for other countries (see Italy and even the U.S.).Norway look like one of the best country in the wordl  in a wellfare rate.
And unlike both Italy and the US, we have all our prices amped up to 11. So it still sucks. You just happen to have a safety net (one which isn't as good as some people like to think).
Buy'ce gal, buy'ce tal
Vebor'ad ures aliit
Mhi draar baat'i meg'parjii'se
Kote lo'shebs'ul narit.

4th Donegal Guards
7th Sword of Light
1st Canopian Cuirassiers

mathesont

• Lieutenant
« Reply #12 on: 08 March 2011, 03:12:52 »
I know a lot of people who have round trip commutes in excess of 100 miles.  An extra $1 per gallon is nearly the end of the world for some.

Batman

• Warrant Officer
  • You have the ability to instill great fear
« Reply #13 on: 08 March 2011, 03:59:36 »
Its not the only factor though.  Yes, by comparison $3.70 is pretty cheap, but because housing prices where I work are so high, I've got little choice but to drive 17 miles to and from work, and my wife the same, so in a day we do 68 miles of driving just for work, plus anything we do for recreation or seeing our families (who live about 10 miles away).  We've done the math, and its cheaper to do that driving than live in town, which shows how much it costs to live in town (and what a sweet deal we've got).  So if you're in a city and you can ride the bus or subway to work, or if you're drive is short, than $10 for gas (with some going to pay for desirable government services) is not so bad.  But if you go through two or three or more gallons of gas in a day and the price goes up a dollar a gallon, then the cost is $2-3 a day more, and that adds up pretty fast.

It's the same over here. It's gone up like 40 cents over a month.

I know a lot of people who have round trip commutes in excess of 100 miles.  An extra $1 per gallon is nearly the end of the world for some.

I was doing 100 mile round-trip commutes last year and I'm still pretty close to that now. That kind of immediate hike without some kind of wage increase is crushing. The word is that we haven't seen the worst of it yet. By summer it's expected to be $6 in some areas. I'd rather not want to see that scenario.

Stormcrow

• Major
  • Art by Shimmering Sword
« Reply #14 on: 08 March 2011, 04:05:45 »
It's a conspiracy I tell you. A conspiracy ;). Last I really looked it $3.25 yesterday morning, up from $3.09 about 11 days ago (last time filled up). I'm happy my commute is only 4.5 miles round trip. I spend more money doing the weekly errands than I do going to work
Commandant Otto Maurus, ARWH-1Z ArcHammer, Maurus' Minutemen
Captain Obadiah Sykes, OSR-5FCR Ostroc, Second Filtvelt Citizens Militia

I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand. - Confucius
Noli Timure Messorem
May God defend me from my friends; I can defend myself from my enemies. - Voltaire
Wielder of the Ferro-Carbide Bat of DOOM™

agen2

• Captain
  • Il sobillatore.
« Reply #15 on: 08 March 2011, 04:40:18 »
 120km for a day just for working,and no bus or railway.

Jerrard

• Private
« Reply #16 on: 08 March 2011, 05:06:14 »

I have been there until last month. It helps if you can carpool but that really depends on the other persons schedule and you have to make compromises. Hope you get by somehow.

Your Name Is

• Warrant Officer
  • Making myself unpopular since I re-registered.
    • My blog of randomness.
« Reply #17 on: 08 March 2011, 07:50:29 »
Pointing a few things out without straying into the political: US gas prices shouldn't go up due to current problems, we don't get gas from those places.

Another thing: Most gas and oil takes 6 months to hit the market. Speculating is the only reason gas prices can be feasibly going up now due to events happening now. By events, I mean storms, earthquakes, etc.

I drive a minivan and buying gas for it sucks. That will be all.
« Last Edit: 08 March 2011, 07:52:38 by Your Name Is »
I've heard that US freight trains move 1 ton of cargo 435 miles on 1 gallon of gas. I think this means we should all become hobos.

"I am, therefore I'll think." -Ayn Rand

cray

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • How's it sit? Pretty cunning, don't you think?
« Reply #18 on: 08 March 2011, 08:31:07 »
Yeah, I am in North America and gas went up to $3.54 a gallon in less then a week. It was around $2.60 previously. It really bites not having close to energy independence.

As "Your Name Is" said, what's funny about the US price increase is that the US's major petroleum suppliers are Canada (almost as large as the next 3 suppliers combined), Mexico (#2), Saudi, Nigeria, and Venezuela (#5): 5 places that aren't really bothered by current unrest. Nigeria has some issues and Venezuela isn't the US's BFF, but still...the only place suffering that North African unrest and is a notable US supplier is Algeria (#7).
http://www.eia.doe.gov/pub/oil_gas/petroleum/data_publications/company_level_imports/current/import.html

There is some good news from the oil prices, though. US oil shale becomes economical at about $40 a barrel and the extractable oil reserves in US oil shale is about 6 times larger (using the inefficient Fischer Assay method of extraction) than Saudi's conventional oil reserves. If you want purely domestic oil for the US, keep prices about $50 a barrel.

And build more nuclear plants. :)
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

**"A man walks down the street in that hat, people know he's not afraid of anything." --Wash, Firefly.
**"Well, the first class name [for pocket WarShips]: 'Ship with delusions of grandeur that is going to evaporate 3.1 seconds after coming into NPPC range' tended to cause morale problems...." --Korzon77
**"Describe the Clans." "Imagine an entire civilization built out of 80’s Ric Flairs, Hulk Hogans, & Macho Man Randy Savages ruling over an entire labor force with Einstein Level Intelligence." --Jake Mikolaitis

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.

IvanR

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #19 on: 08 March 2011, 08:40:01 »

depends on where I'm working, but I average 1100km per week. We have rail and bus, they're just horribly inefficient. Which sucks, because as a police officer I get free public transport.

Peter Smith

• LBI Shareholder
  • Captain
« Reply #20 on: 08 March 2011, 10:46:49 »
Speculating is the only reason gas prices can be feasibly going up now...

*ding*
*ding*
*ding*

We have a winner.
Power corrupts. Absolute power is kinda neat.

"Now I've got the image of a Haywire pod that's broadcasting "stop hitting yourself" over and over." MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

VF1LAM

• Major
  • Fifth Crucis Lancers
« Reply #21 on: 08 March 2011, 11:11:01 »
Here in Cincinnati, gas prices increased from about $3.09 per gallon to around $3.49 or $3.59 in about a week.
Federated Commonwealth -- One more MechAssault if you want to be free!

Demon55

• Captain
  • Planning wisely.
« Reply #22 on: 08 March 2011, 11:17:24 »
Have to spend more money on gas, grrr.   [madflame]

Davout73

• Captain
« Reply #23 on: 08 March 2011, 11:22:48 »
My wife was complaining about the price of gas, it's around $3.40 here, but she got quiet after I told here a gallons worth of the Starbucks she drinks daily runs about $35.00 she stopped.

She's also stopped drinking less Starbucks lately...

Davout73
Kiiro no Torii, a Battletech AU, found here:
http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,7316.0.html
Interview with a Mercenary, found here: http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,319.0.html
Every Man Must Be Tempted, a KNT Universe series: https://bg.battletech.com/forums/fan-fiction/every-man-must-be-tempted
"Violence is the last resort of the incompetent, because the competent use it when it could do some good."

Jimmyray73

• Lieutenant
  • I will not be toyed with!
« Reply #24 on: 08 March 2011, 11:24:50 »
When speculation causes prices to rise the price we see at the pump jumps so quickly because the people who own the gas stations need to make enough money off what's in the tanks to pay for the next shipment.  The prices take longer to come down because they need to make enough to cover the shortfall from the initial increase in the price they pay.
Endo has forgotten more about dispensing pain than you or I will ever know...

Drop Bear

• Lieutenant
« Reply #25 on: 08 March 2011, 11:43:54 »
Your also seeing a price jump because of World Marketplace Composition so wile the US may not buy from the affected region those that do are now looking to your suppliers who can rise their prices as other customers are biding higher to ensure supply of their Petrochemical demand.

Hell I want the new new E85 capable Commodore, what's the A$ price on a litre of E85  0.70 I think?

Stormlion1

• Colonel
  • Apparently Im a rare survivor of the 1st!
« Reply #26 on: 08 March 2011, 12:13:44 »
Filled up today at Wawa, only $3.31 a gallon so far. But I do live down the street from the cheapest gas in New Jersey I think.
I don't set an example for others. I make examples of them.

Iron Mongoose

• Lieutenant
  • Don't you know, you're all my very best friends
« Reply #27 on: 08 March 2011, 12:28:22 »
A gal on the radio (who seemed to have solid credentials and reasonable knolage) said that there are many reasons why prices go up.  One is that global market place; the Canadians could just as easily sell to Europe or Asia or anywhere else if we didn't want to pay the market price for their oil.  Another is that not all oil is equal, so the loss of some more desirable, lighter and sweeter oils can shift the burden around and upset prices that way.  But the biggest reason is feer that the problems that affect Libian oil production, or something like them, will spread to affect other oil producing countries.
"For my military knowledge, though I'm plucky and adventury,
Has only been brought down to the beginning of the century..."

ShadowRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #28 on: 08 March 2011, 12:50:47 »
 I live in the Pembina 5-way. One of the worlds largest oil production centers.  An area, for you Americans, about the size of Rhode Island, that a few years back had a higher oil output then Alaska. Gas prices here, where we refine it, is closeing on $5.00 per gallon. $1.20 per litre. The reason? they can sell it for more per barel elsewhere, so they ship more elsewhere, creating an artificial shortage right here. The silliest thing, IMHO is that the oil and natural gas reserves here, at a conservative estimate. This is just what's below the area I live, is believed at present to be enough to sustain the current world need. On it's own with no other input from other countries, or even elsewhere in Canada, for the next 50-100 years. Some of it is pure ugly to get at. Being under many feet of swampland and all, but it is there.
We are Clan Snow Raven. Masters of the void, and reapers of your souls

befriend (v.): to use mecha-class beam weaponry to inflict grievous bodily harm on a target in the process of proving the validity of your belief system.
— From a post on rpg.net

Doug Glendower

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Captain
  • I really am bad at letting go.
« Reply #29 on: 08 March 2011, 13:19:31 »
Same thing for Bakersfield, SR. Same thing. We pay .20 more than LA, on average.

Register