Author Topic: The Spice Must Flow - Dune  (Read 10664 times)

Dubble_g

• Lieutenant
  • My hovercraft is full of eels
Re: The Spice Must Flow - Dune
« Reply #30 on: 11 September 2020, 02:23:08 »
While I'm seriously excited to see this movie, it's just a trailer and does all the trailery things a trailer is supposed to do at the time, quantity and manner that trailers are supposed to do them. Cast intros, weighty quote, tense moment, FX shot, weighty quote, FX shot, Pink Floyd song, repeat. Creating a slick trailer is the one thing Hollywood seems to be able to do with any reliability. Am I going to see it though? Oh hell yeah.

I love me the 80s version as much as the next man (https://one-way-mirror.blogspot.com/2019/12/liveblogging-dune-1984.html) with Picard and Wormtongue and Sting and Sting's codpiece, but it'll be interesting to see how they update both the visuals (the HR Geiger fetishwear stillsuits look is so iconic) and the decadent baroque feel of the locations. Even more, however, I'm interested to see what they'll do with the themes--Lynch's version basically scraps the whole "this is the problem with charismatic leaders" angle and makes Paul a straight-up god-hero.

Re: Feyd, I think it's pretty well confirmed that since this is only part 1 of 2 potential movies, he won't be appearing. (To me that's a big weakness of the Dune plot, as the final showdown/duel involves a guy who has never interacted with the protagonist until then)

Also: https://one-way-mirror.blogspot.com/2020/09/dune-trailer.html
Author, "Inverted" (Shrapnel #4), "Undefeated" (#10), "Reversal of Fortunes" (#13) and "The Alexandria Job" (#15)

Lorcan Nagle

• 75 tons of heavy metal mayhem
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #31 on: 11 September 2020, 02:56:44 »
I have a weird speculation - we're pretty sure that the movie covers everything up to Paul and Jessica encountering the Fremen in the desert, and there's a line in the trailer about Paul's house being picked off one by one.  I wonder if they're going to stretch out the tension prior to the fall of Arrakeen by having some of the characters killed by assassins or in dubious circumstances before the sneak attack?
The moderator formerly known as the user formerly known as nenechan

Øystein

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Captain
« Reply #32 on: 11 September 2020, 07:59:01 »
Hans Zimmer affirmed he would be scoring Dune near the start of the film's production in March 2019.

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #33 on: 11 September 2020, 16:00:06 »
Well, then expect bass-heavy Zimmermatic production.

Much prefer those graduates of the Zimmermatic who break away - Ramin Djwadi, for one. He pegged Iron Man, Pacific Rim, and Game of Thrones.
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Øystein

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Captain
« Reply #34 on: 12 September 2020, 00:23:19 »
Well, then expect bass-heavy Zimmermatic production.

Much prefer those graduates of the Zimmermatic who break away - Ramin Djwadi, for one. He pegged Iron Man, Pacific Rim, and Game of Thrones.
Maybe you should look a bit more into scores Zimmer has done. THey are not all "the Rock" bombastic themes.
He worked with the same director on Blade Runner 2049, but in the end the music will be what the director wants.
« Last Edit: 12 September 2020, 00:24:53 by Øystein »

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #35 on: 12 September 2020, 02:13:32 »
He also did the scores to Planet Earth II, Blue Planet II, and Seven Worlds One Planet.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

jimdigris

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #36 on: 12 September 2020, 07:04:10 »
Maybe you should look a bit more into scores Zimmer has done. THey are not all "the Rock" bombastic themes.
He worked with the same director on Blade Runner 2049, but in the end the music will be what the director wants.
I don't recall any music from Blade Runner 2049 except in the final scene, and even that was recycled Vangelis.

Øystein

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Captain
« Reply #37 on: 12 September 2020, 07:13:51 »
I don't recall any music from Blade Runner 2049 except in the final scene, and even that was recycled Vangelis.

Which is a very good use of music.
And the final scene is not Vangelis. It's Hans Zimmer - using the themes from the original movie, yes, but it's his composition.

MarauderCH IIC

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #38 on: 12 September 2020, 12:04:02 »
Liet Kynes is a woman? WTF? Oh, there isn't enough female characters in the movie! Did we read the same book? Kynes is Chani's father with a fremen wife. I don't get it though I realize this is a sign of the times we are in. Maybe I'm just too stuck on Max von Sydow being the perfect Liet Kynes from the Lynch Dune.

Remove yourself!

I'm not sold on Bautista and Jason Momoa as Rabban and Duncan Idaho either. I don't think either of these actor's capture the dynamic presence of either character though I'll gladly be proven wrong when watching the movie. Once again, the actor that played Rabban in Lynch Dune captured the character. He's not Drax from GotG. He isn't there for muscle and comic relief. Maybe this will be an opportunity for Bautista to show what kind of an actor he can be. Duncan Idaho is no Aquaman, either. Momoa needs to be more then a muscle bound action star to play Idaho, especially if there is going to be another movie and potentially movies based on the other books.

Josh Brolin as Gurney Halleck! SCORE!!!

Zendaya as Chani? I was a little hesitant at first. The trailer gives me hope for this. I've enjoyed her in the Spiderman movies and think she might surprise us here!

They had to tone down Baron Harkonnen for the movie. Boo!!! Did we read the same book? There is a reason he is the bad guy! Keep it that way. 

Øystein

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Captain
« Reply #39 on: 12 September 2020, 12:28:59 »
I'll watch the movie and see how it works.

Renard

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #40 on: 12 September 2020, 12:48:23 »

I'm not sold on Bautista and Jason Momoa as Rabban and Duncan Idaho either. I don't think either of these actor's capture the dynamic presence of either character though I'll gladly be proven wrong when watching the movie. Once again, the actor that played Rabban in Lynch Dune captured the character. He's not Drax from GotG. He isn't there for muscle and comic relief. Maybe this will be an opportunity for Bautista to show what kind of an actor he can be. Duncan Idaho is no Aquaman, either. Momoa needs to be more then a muscle bound action star to play Idaho, especially if there is going to be another movie and potentially movies based on the other books.

Idaho got drunk on spice beer and made a scene that the Lady Jessica had to deal with.  He abruptly abandoned his oath to the fremen once war broke out into the open and went back to the Atreides.  I don't know why the later books were so obsessed with him.  He was a basically a good fighter and scout with bad judgment.  Jason Mamoa brings hulking frat-bro energy to the role that I can imagine perfectly fitting the character?

Scotty

• Alpha Strike Guru by appointment to the FWLM
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
« Reply #41 on: 12 September 2020, 14:40:11 »
A soundtrack's job isn't to be iconic, it's to complement the movie.  BR's score is excellent at doing that.
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Kansas City players, or people who are just passing through the area, come join us at the Geekery just off Shawnee Mission Parkway for BattleTech!  Current days are Tuesdays in the afternoon and evening.  I can't make every single week, but odds are pretty good that somebody will be there.

jimdigris

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #42 on: 12 September 2020, 15:41:52 »
Star Wars fans may disagree.  ;)

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #43 on: 12 September 2020, 15:48:50 »
Yes, but there's never a context in which the phrase "Star Wars fans disagree" isn't true.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #44 on: 12 September 2020, 16:10:36 »
You’d probably get a solid 25% voting affirmative to “star wars was a mistake”

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

Scotty

• Alpha Strike Guru by appointment to the FWLM
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
« Reply #45 on: 13 September 2020, 02:26:24 »
Even without Star Wars's inherent polarization involved, I don't think it's really that controversial to say "fans don't understand movies", mostly because it's a true statement.
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Kansas City players, or people who are just passing through the area, come join us at the Geekery just off Shawnee Mission Parkway for BattleTech!  Current days are Tuesdays in the afternoon and evening.  I can't make every single week, but odds are pretty good that somebody will be there.

DEZOAT

• Lieutenant
« Reply #46 on: 13 September 2020, 09:10:25 »
 Well another Dune Movie coming out. I 'am not picky like some here. I like them all and I'll watch this one as well.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #47 on: 13 September 2020, 23:49:12 »
Even without Star Wars's inherent polarization involved, I don't think it's really that controversial to say "fans don't understand movies", mostly because it's a true statement.

Heck, there are some directors who don't understand movies.

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #48 on: 14 September 2020, 11:23:24 »
Heck, there are some directors who don't understand movies.
including a fair number who have produced major blockbusters in the past as part of a team, but when given compete creative control produce films that lack the same spark which made the previous films so popular.

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • It's a gator with a nuke, whats the problem.
« Reply #49 on: 15 September 2020, 14:05:13 »
I wonder how much of this Dune will be a copy of the 1984 Dune??
Walking the fine line between sarcasm and being a smart-ass

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #50 on: 15 September 2020, 14:15:37 »
it appears so far about -37%

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

Mecha82

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Some things never change
« Reply #51 on: 15 September 2020, 14:30:10 »
To be honest I think that's for the best. They should do they own thing compared to 1984 one while getting far closer to adapting book right. After all 1984 one was so strange and besides of adapting certain scenes from book it took so many liberties.
Star Captain John Malthus, Kappa Galaxy, Clan Jade Falcon 
Star Captain Johannes Bekker, Delta Galaxy, Clan Ghost Bear 
Captain John Bailey, 1st Avalon Hussars, Federated Suns  
Tai-i Jiro Takahashi, 2nd Legion of Vega, Draconis Combine

Lorcan Nagle

• Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #52 on: 15 September 2020, 14:58:16 »
The plan is two movies (though as far as I know, they didn't film Dune and Dune 2: Fremen Boogaloo back to back or anything, I'd assume that the nature of the material and Veillneuve's spotty record for box-office success means Legendary and Warners are playing it safe and will only commission the second movie if the first makes enough money), and apparently this instance of Dune is going to end around the point Paul and Jessica encounter the Fremen in the desert

Euphonium

• Captain
  • Look Ma, no Faction!
« Reply #53 on: 15 September 2020, 15:03:01 »
Ending part one with Jessica and Stilgar concluding the bargain of teaching the Fremen her way of battle in exchinge for sanctuary for her and Paul would be a decent stopping point.
>>>>[You're only jealous because the voices don't talk to you]<<<<

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
« Reply #54 on: 15 September 2020, 15:06:09 »
In the book, the funeral of Jamis marks a transition point. And interestingly, the next chapter starts with Feyd-Ruatha front and center.
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Mecha82

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Some things never change
« Reply #55 on: 15 September 2020, 15:06:59 »
It's clear to anyone who has read Dune that it requires more than 1 movie to get everything and with 2 movies they might still have to cut some from time that Paul and Jessica spend with Fremen considering how long that part is in book. Of course it might be for the best as well considering that average movie goer lacks patience for that.
Star Captain John Malthus, Kappa Galaxy, Clan Jade Falcon 
Star Captain Johannes Bekker, Delta Galaxy, Clan Ghost Bear 
Captain John Bailey, 1st Avalon Hussars, Federated Suns  
Tai-i Jiro Takahashi, 2nd Legion of Vega, Draconis Combine

Lorcan Nagle

• Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #56 on: 15 September 2020, 15:08:51 »
It's clear to anyone who has read Dune that it requires more than 1 movie to get everything and with 2 movies they might still have to cut some from time that Paul and Jessica spend with Fremen considering how long that part is in book. Of course it might be for the best as well considering that average movie goer lacks patience for that.

The mini-series worked well splitting it into three parts, but still padded the story out with a wholly-invented subplot about Irulan.  It's definitely doable in two 90-120 minute movies.

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
« Reply #57 on: 15 September 2020, 15:10:25 »
How many Harry Potter films? Or Hunger Games? or Twilight?

Strong financial evidence that connected movies will sell tickets, with the right context. In the non-'rona world, anyway. Counter-example: John Carter, which was effectively killed by poor marketing and lack of an existing fanbase.

Asgo

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #58 on: 15 September 2020, 15:36:43 »

Strong financial evidence that connected movies will sell tickets, with the right context. In the non-'rona world, anyway. Counter-example: John Carter, which was effectively killed by poor marketing and lack of an existing fanbase.
there are practical differences between connected movies and multi-part movies.
while I am generally in the camp of "the longer the better" - and to be honest, at lot of failed or mediocre epic movies in the past could have been enormously improved just by spending more time while keeping the same cast, crew and production value - the question is if a story can be split enough to give them the time but not too much to avoid piecemeal movies that can't stand alone.
If you don't want to release the movies back to back, which is more a straight to video thing, each has to have some usable structure to make them work on their own, which is a challenge when trying to keep close to the source material.
For example with Lord of the Rings, a relative successful example of a story split, a lot of the changes from the books involved moving stuff around or cutting it outright to give each movie workable arcs and pacing.

Lorcan Nagle

• Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #59 on: 15 September 2020, 15:38:07 »

Looking at Villeneuve's movies, he's done 4 Hollywood productions: Prisoners, Sicario, Arrival and Blade Runner 2049.  All of them made money, but only Prisoners and Arrival made three times the budget at the box office, which is the generally accepted benchmark for a box office success.  So he's not a guaranteed hitmaker on his own name, like, say James Cameron.  Dune as a brand name is a mixed bag because it's generally recognised by people who know it as a SF book, they might know that it's considered a classic, but they're as likely to know the name from the David Lynch movie - and it was a flop; or the Sci-fi miniseries, which was weird and made for TV.

This all adds up to an environment that will make a movie studio nervous.  By comparison Harry Potter, Twilight and Hunger Games were all ultrahot properties when their movie series began, and they wouldn't have gotten those 2-part filmed back to back final installments if the prior movies hadn't been big hits on their own merits. Hell, if the first movie of any of those series had flopped we'd never have seen the sequels.

Register