Author Topic: Recommend me a laptop backpack!  (Read 2412 times)

3rdCrucisLancers

• SAVAGE
  • Freelance Writer
  • Captain
  • Smallest star in the firmament
Recommend me a laptop backpack!
« on: 26 July 2011, 11:44:00 »
Can anyone recommend a good backpack for a 15.6" laptop? I'm looking for one that I can use as my carryon for the flight to Indy, so ideally it'd have space for clothes, toiletries, etc., to spare me the cost of a checked bag (also, I hope to make an earlier flight, and I have lots of unhappy experience with lost baggage). Preferably something I can get from Amazon prime.
Fighter of the Nightman (ah-ah-ah)
Champion of the Sun (ah-ah-ah)

Klep

• Captain
Re: Recommend me a laptop backpack!
« Reply #1 on: 26 July 2011, 12:46:48 »
I've been using the same backpack since 5th grade, so I can't say what the market is like myself, but Amazon seems to have a product category for people like you:

http://www.amazon.com/Laptop-Backpacks-Accessories/b?ie=UTF8&node=335604011

Fireangel

• Major
  • 7397 posts right down the toilet...
« Reply #2 on: 26 July 2011, 14:17:18 »
Check your yellow pages for local manufacturers; I have a saddle leather laptop satchel that can easily carry my laptop, power brick, accessories and three gamebooks, along with a notebook and a folder for unit/character sheets. Minus the books it makes for a good overnight bag + laptop. Thing was locally made by a local artisan who travels from mall to mall with an artisan fair. IIRC it cost about $100-120 (my daughter surprised me with it over ten years ago after she saw me salivating over it, so I don't remember the actual price).

Great way of supporting your local economy.  ;)

Peter Smith

• LBI Shareholder
  • Captain
« Reply #3 on: 26 July 2011, 14:49:07 »
I've been thrilled with my blue SwissGear bag. It fits my 15.4" Lenovo W510 without a problem, and it is very flight friendly (it was my +1 carry-on bag for the honeymoon). I'd recommend this model: http://www.amazon.com/SwissGear-SA1908-ScanSmart-Backpack-Black/dp/B002OHDIWY/ref=sr_1_1?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1311709371&sr=1-1
Power corrupts. Absolute power is kinda neat.

"Now I've got the image of a Haywire pod that's broadcasting "stop hitting yourself" over and over." MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

omega2010

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #4 on: 27 July 2011, 04:17:08 »
I'm also using a Swiss Gear backpack.  My 16-inch laptop barely fits in there but I love the extra pockets on it.
Who is driving?  OH MY GOD!  BEAR IS DRIVING!  How can that be?

Steve - They thought they could take the caps off all the markers and let them dry out. But there was one marker they never reckoned with.

Your Name Is

• Warrant Officer
  • Making myself unpopular since I re-registered.
    • My blog of randomness.
« Reply #5 on: 27 July 2011, 06:23:26 »
I've been thrilled with my blue SwissGear bag. It fits my 15.4" Lenovo W510 without a problem, and it is very flight friendly (it was my +1 carry-on bag for the honeymoon). I'd recommend this model: http://www.amazon.com/SwissGear-SA1908-ScanSmart-Backpack-Black/dp/B002OHDIWY/ref=sr_1_1?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1311709371&sr=1-1

My Swissgear is also an excellent backpacki. been using it 4 years now. My Targus one lasted one year, however. Avoid those.
I've heard that US freight trains move 1 ton of cargo 435 miles on 1 gallon of gas. I think this means we should all become hobos.

"I am, therefore I'll think." -Ayn Rand

3rdCrucisLancers

• SAVAGE
  • Freelance Writer
  • Captain
« Reply #6 on: 27 July 2011, 07:11:53 »
Thanks everyone! I ordered a Swissgear last night. I'm sure my soon-to-be wife will be blown away by how manly I look sporting it.

Peter Smith

• LBI Shareholder
  • Captain
« Reply #7 on: 27 July 2011, 08:28:42 »
Which one did you end up going with?

"Now I've got the image of a Haywire pod that's broadcasting "stop hitting yourself" over and over." MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

3rdCrucisLancers

• SAVAGE
  • Freelance Writer
  • Captain
« Reply #8 on: 27 July 2011, 08:38:40 »
Which one did you end up going with?

The SwissGear SA1908. Both you and Chunga recommended it.

Peter Smith

• LBI Shareholder
  • Captain
« Reply #9 on: 27 July 2011, 10:21:26 »
The SwissGear SA1908. Both you and Chunga recommended it.

Remind me to get your opinions on it at GenCon. Bonus points if you have it handy so I can compare to mine.

Your Name Is

• Warrant Officer
  • Making myself unpopular since I re-registered.
    • My blog of randomness.
« Reply #10 on: 27 July 2011, 17:29:19 »
Like I said, I'm extremely satisfied with mine. My HP laptop in it is on its last leg. After that. laptop bookbag becomes used for other things until I get a tablet or saddle bag.
I've heard that US freight trains move 1 ton of cargo 435 miles on 1 gallon of gas. I think this means we should all become hobos.

"I am, therefore I'll think." -Ayn Rand

Register