Author Topic: Lyran Guards -- AGOAC mechs  (Read 2515 times)

RazorclawXLS

• Warrant Officer
Lyran Guards -- AGOAC mechs
« on: 09 October 2019, 12:55:07 »
I finished varnishing my AGOAC mechs, so I thought of showing them off here.

It has been one hour since sunset, so I don't have enough daylight for proper photos and settled on this group shot for now. Will probably do more pics on the weekend.

I painted them as generic Lyran Guards, the only decals I intend to put on them are going to be either Lyran Commonwealth or Federated Commonwealth. I will not be putting unit insignias on them as I intend to milk them as much as possible, so they will represent any and all Lyran Guard unit.

I am not that familiar with lore so I don't know if units from the Lyran portion of Federated Commonwealth sported FC insignias during the Clan invasion or not. Any tidbit of info would be highly appreciated on this topic.  ;)

EDIT: How does one add an image from an attachment to the post body?
« Last Edit: 09 October 2019, 13:27:05 by RazorclawXLS »

ArchonDan

• Sergeant
Re: Lyran Guards -- AGOAC mechs
« Reply #1 on: 09 October 2019, 14:10:54 »
They look good! I like the missile racks on the Catapult, nicely done  :thumbsup:

Neo-Tanuki

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #2 on: 09 October 2019, 15:00:21 »
I like that BattleMaster!

pixelgeek

• Master Sergeant
    • My blog
« Reply #3 on: 09 October 2019, 15:12:40 »
Very nice

jimdigris

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #4 on: 09 October 2019, 15:26:53 »
 :thumbsup:

Valkerie

• Captain
  • Gravity always wins.
« Reply #5 on: 09 October 2019, 22:32:06 »
Excellent work.  Second the vote on the Battlemaster. 8) :thumbsup:
There is no avoiding war; it can only be postponed to the advantage of others.   -Machiavelli

Greetings, Mechwarrior!  You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against...Oops, wrong universe.  -unknown SLDF Recruiter

Because overkill is underrated my friend.  -John "Hannibal" Smith

Unit/Scheme of the Month Master Index

EthrDemon

• Sergeant
« Reply #6 on: 10 October 2019, 00:49:20 »
Absolutely beautiful.  2nd on loving the Catapult's missile racks, but I think the Wolverine & Shadow Hawk might be my favorites.

avon1985

• Major
« Reply #7 on: 11 October 2019, 21:02:12 »
Sweet! :thumbsup:

MarauderD

• Major
« Reply #8 on: 08 July 2020, 19:32:34 »
I finished varnishing my AGOAC mechs, so I thought of showing them off here.

It has been one hour since sunset, so I don't have enough daylight for proper photos and settled on this group shot for now. Will probably do more pics on the weekend.

I painted them as generic Lyran Guards, the only decals I intend to put on them are going to be either Lyran Commonwealth or Federated Commonwealth. I will not be putting unit insignias on them as I intend to milk them as much as possible, so they will represent any and all Lyran Guard unit.

I am not that familiar with lore so I don't know if units from the Lyran portion of Federated Commonwealth sported FC insignias during the Clan invasion or not. Any tidbit of info would be highly appreciated on this topic.  ;)

EDIT: How does one add an image from an attachment to the post body?

Bit of a thread Necro here, but for a good reason.  I%u2019m finishing up a Combine Lance and I want to paint a Lyran guards Lance as the OpFor.  I like the colors you used here:  could you tell me a little about your process and products used so I can try to create a similar Guards Lance?

Thanks in advance!

Mad
« Last Edit: 08 July 2020, 19:36:58 by MarauderD »

RazorclawXLS

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #9 on: 09 July 2020, 14:40:40 »
Bit of a thread Necro here, but for a good reason.  I%u2019m finishing up a Combine Lance and I want to paint a Lyran guards Lance as the OpFor.  I like the colors you used here:  could you tell me a little about your process and products used so I can try to create a similar Guards Lance?

Thanks in advance!

Mad

I primed the figures with Happy Color Gloss White spray paint. I used this one as it was the only gloss or satin white paint I could find locally. I was going for gloss or satin because I opted to use Games Workshop contrast paints - Talassar Blue and Apothecary White. At the time I got those paints, people were saying that it is better to use satin or gloss primer as it improves the flow for the contrast paints.

Apothecary White contrast paint isn't actually white, it's grey, so it must go on a white base for the contrast effect to work. Because I chose white for a primer, I had to apply more than one coat of Talassar blue, because it was too bright for my tastes. After applying Apothecary White I drybrushed the panels with White Scar paint, to get them a bit more white.

For metal, I used GW Leadbelcher, shaded with Nuln Oil, but l switched to Scale 75 Black Metal color. This color is fantastic, the shade is what you would get if you applied Nuln Oil over Leadbelcher, but Black Metal looks so clean and crisp, while the other combination looks stained and it bugs me.

For lasers, PPCs and cockpits I used Games Workshop gemstone colors, Soulstone Blue and Waystone Green. For small lasers and optical devices I used a GW technical paint called Blood for the Blood God. There is a red gemstone color called Spiritstone Red, but I had Blood for the Blood god at hand, so I used that one instead. Before applying these colors you need to paint a metallic paint as base. I used Stormhost Silver for that, which is a light silver paint. Gemstone colors for cockpits are a cheat code, in my opinion. You can get a nice jeweling effect pretty easily, the key is to get a nice coverage and after you paint the cockpit with the gemstone color you want, apply it a bit more on the parts where you want the color to be darker until you get the darker color shade that satisfies you.

« Last Edit: 09 July 2020, 14:43:24 by RazorclawXLS »

MarauderD

• Major
« Reply #10 on: 09 July 2020, 16:03:42 »
Perfect!  As soon as I get some of the detail work done on the Combine lance I'll get the materials together for the Lyran Guards mechs.  Appreciate the insight!

Mecha82

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Some things never change
« Reply #11 on: 09 July 2020, 16:26:31 »
Those look really good. :thumbsup:
Star Captain John Malthus, Kappa Galaxy, Clan Jade Falcon 
Star Captain Johannes Bekker, Delta Galaxy, Clan Ghost Bear 
Captain John Bailey, 1st Avalon Hussars, Federated Suns  
Tai-i Jiro Takahashi, 2nd Legion of Vega, Draconis Combine

Wolf72

• Captain
« Reply #12 on: 09 July 2020, 19:52:57 »
amazing.
"We're caught in the moon's gravitational pull, what do we do?!"

CI KS #1357; Merc KS #9798

"We're sending a squad up."

Major Headcase

• Lieutenant
  • We're paid to win. Heroism costs extra...
« Reply #13 on: 10 July 2020, 00:37:41 »
Did you have any trouble with the blue contrast paint slipping across the line following panels and contours into the white areas? Every time I've tried a split scheme, it's the little spills into the lighter color that infuriates me! And it seems like cleaning them up has a 50/50 chance of just making them worse!! Ahhhhhhhhh!!!! xp

MarauderD

• Major
« Reply #14 on: 10 July 2020, 10:31:34 »
Any suggestions for a color for drybrushing over the blue contrast paint?  I'm working on drybrushing and would like something that highlights the blue, even if its only a faint difference.  I'm not great at picking colors--so suggestions are welcome.

Cheers,

Mad

wolfspider

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #15 on: 10 July 2020, 17:48:33 »
Very nice :thumbsup: Did you mask off the white from the blue to get those  straight lines?
I may have a low amount of posts but I have a PHD in Battletech and mechs older then most people on this board!

RazorclawXLS

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #16 on: 12 July 2020, 16:58:36 »
Did you have any trouble with the blue contrast paint slipping across the line following panels and contours into the white areas? Every time I've tried a split scheme, it's the little spills into the lighter color that infuriates me! And it seems like cleaning them up has a 50/50 chance of just making them worse!! Ahhhhhhhhh!!!! xp

Very nice :thumbsup: Did you mask off the white from the blue to get those  straight lines?

No, I didn't mask the lines, I did them by hand, and yes there was spills I had to clean several times. Which is why I was looking into buying liquid mask not two days ago. The supplier I get my Vallejo paints from has the Vallejo liquid mask so I will be buying and using that when I paint my next Lyran Guards batch of mechs.

Any suggestions for a color for drybrushing over the blue contrast paint?  I'm working on drybrushing and would like something that highlights the blue, even if its only a faint difference.  I'm not great at picking colors--so suggestions are welcome.

Cheers,

Mad

If you have the means for testing try with a lighter grey color.

MarauderD

• Major
« Reply #17 on: 15 July 2020, 14:38:50 »
Question on your process.

I've got my mechs primered in White and ready to go.  Would you start with the Apothecary White side first, or the blue side first?  Or is there no good answers because there will be 'accidents' in both directions that will need to be cleaned up?

Cheers,

Mad

RazorclawXLS

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #18 on: 15 July 2020, 17:00:21 »
Question on your process.

I've got my mechs primered in White and ready to go.  Would you start with the Apothecary White side first, or the blue side first?  Or is there no good answers because there will be 'accidents' in both directions that will need to be cleaned up?

Cheers,

Mad

Since I didn't have anything to mask with, I went with Talassar Blue first, as it is easier to paint over a white/grey spills, you just have to apply the blue again. If I were doing the Talassar blue after Apothecary White, and I had a spill of blue on Apothecary White, I would have to apply white basecoat, apply Apothecary White again, and maybe drybrush an edge or panel to make it blend with the rest of white portion of the mech.

If I had a liquid mask to mask of the painted portion, it wouldn't matter which one you started with.

RazorclawXLS

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #19 on: 15 July 2020, 17:06:54 »
A little sidenote, I don't know if this would be of concern for someone, but I wanted to share about painting handles/miniature holders and my experience with them.

They are nice and fine when you are doing a lot of detail work on a single mini at a time, but when you are doing batch painting with several minis, they are a pain in the behind. Using blue tack with empty paint bottles or cork bottle stoppers is much better. (and cheaper, you can get 20-30 cork stoppers for a single GW paint handle)

DEZOAT

• Lieutenant
« Reply #20 on: 19 July 2020, 06:28:35 »
 :o 8) :thumbsup: WOW!! Well done sir. Great job on the minis.