Author Topic: DOS style Mechcommander game?  (Read 3187 times)

Fear Factory

• Major
  • Designing the Enemy
DOS style Mechcommander game?
« on: 10 October 2013, 01:22:58 »
I remember WAYYYYY back in the day I found an old game on sarna.net where you basically run a mercenary unit (or something like that).  It had the same contract interface from MechWarrior 1.  You could purchase pilots, 'Mechs, perform repairs, etc.  Combat was played in an overhead view with graphics like the DOS games.

Does anyone remember this?  Or am I just nuts?   :-\
The conflict is pure - The truth devised - The future secured - The enemy designed
Maj. Isaac "Litany" Van Houten, Lone Wolves, The Former 66th "Litany Against Fear" Company

Snimm

• Lieutenant
Re: DOS style Mechcommander game?
« Reply #1 on: 11 October 2013, 15:55:16 »
The only game I can think of in this vein is The Crescent Hawks' Revenge in that it had the top-down interface you describe, but it did not have the contract interface from MW1 as far as I'm aware.  Though on a few missions it allowed you to choose which side of a scenario you wanted to take, that's as close as it gets.
Need help getting started with Against the Bot in MekHQ?  Click here to get yourself up and running!

http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=41494.msg957784#msg957784

Thatguybil

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #2 on: 10 November 2013, 17:25:28 »
There was a fan made beta game that was an rts with a contract system.  Good idea but never finished.

Fear Factory

• Major
  • Designing the Enemy
« Reply #3 on: 10 November 2013, 19:49:21 »
There was a fan made beta game that was an rts with a contract system.  Good idea but never finished.

Do you have it or have a link?
The conflict is pure - The truth devised - The future secured - The enemy designed
Maj. Isaac "Litany" Van Houten, Lone Wolves, The Former 66th "Litany Against Fear" Company

PurpleDragon

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: 10 November 2013, 20:06:23 »
are you talking about the top down view battletech game for the amiga?  that's the only one I can remember from back in the day that might match that. 
give a man a fire, keep him warm for a night. 
Set him on fire, keep him warm for the rest of his life!

The secret to winning the land/air battle is that you must always remain rigidly flexible.

I like tabletop more anyway, computer games are for nerds!  -  Knallogfall

jairb

• Corporal
« Reply #5 on: 24 December 2013, 22:40:22 »
You might be thinking of MechWar.

Der Kommissar

• Master Sergeant
  • That's a clean burnin' platoon, I tell you what.
« Reply #6 on: 27 December 2013, 16:15:10 »

Why does this seem to be the case with so many Battletech fan products?  I'm just glad we have skunkwerks and megamek.

Thatguybil

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #7 on: 30 December 2013, 22:32:09 »
are you talking about the top down view battletech game for the amiga?  that's the only one I can remember from back in the day that might match that.

No, not the Amiga.

It was a cross between Crescent Hawk Revenge and mech commander with a contract system.

Mechwar sounds familure

jairb

• Corporal
« Reply #8 on: 04 January 2014, 01:18:52 »
I don't think MechWar had a contract system.  It was more similar to MegaMek although not as complete.  At least, that's the state it was in when I last played it.

Fear Factory

• Major
  • Designing the Enemy
« Reply #9 on: 04 January 2014, 01:27:29 »
It might have been a Pretendo game.

Flame_Draken

• Private
« Reply #10 on: 12 January 2014, 14:46:44 »
It was Battletech: Mercenaries by Pretendo.  I think there were two different versions, one for DOS, which is the one I think I don't have.  The other was for Windows, which I do have but I don't remember any contracts in that version, though it did have improved graphics.

Now I'm going to install the latter one and play around with it.

Edit few minutes later:

And apparently it does not like Windows 7.  Wait, it looks like I do have the DOS version as well.  Off to try that one out.

Never mind, that one doesn't like 64 bit computers.  Bad luck all around then.
« Last Edit: 12 January 2014, 14:54:06 by Flame_Draken »

elf25s

• Major
« Reply #11 on: 13 January 2014, 02:56:58 »
dos box my classic collection saviour
you sure cannot out run death...but sure as hell you can make that bastard work for it!

Thatguybil

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #12 on: 13 January 2014, 23:16:01 »
Battletech: Mercenaries by Pretendo
That's it!