Author Topic: Any Python/JS/C#/Unity coders out there?  (Read 1472 times)

c_gee

• Number of the Be(a)st!
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Corporal
Any Python/JS/C#/Unity coders out there?
« on: 12 March 2018, 03:03:26 »
So a little over a year ago I got it in my head that I was going to finally teach myself how to code so that I could make an app for Battletech.

I've always wanted an app that would eliminate the need for all the record sheets scattered about the table during a game.

Wanting to start simple, I decided that once I had learned how to code I'd start with making an Alpha Strike app - a sort of dumbed down version of my end game plan, if you will.

Well after taking a few months off and teaching myself Python I produced this... It's sort of a proof of concept. The final product is nowhere near finished but it's a good start. Unfortunately my life's taken a funny turn and I find myself with a lot less time to code these days.

At this stage, if this app is ever going to be something people can download onto their Android/IOS devices, I think it'll need to be finished and then re-written in JavaScript or C# so that it can be done in Unity (which can handle both Android and IOS).

I don't really have the time to learn JS or C$ and Unity these days but if anyone out there is already a fluent coder in those languages and would like to help get this thing finished, PM me. I'd love to see this thing done.
Demo Agent #666
Vancouver, Canada

Vulp

• Private
Re: Any Python/JS/C#/Unity coders out there?
« Reply #1 on: 12 March 2018, 23:28:23 »
This is pretty cool stuff, and especially impressive for a first python project.  What did you end up using for the UI layer? From the demo looks more like a full screen app than a web front end - is it PySDL or something similar?

I played around with a similar concept a few years back when Alpha Strike first came out, and ended up writing some web crawler code to pull down cards from the MUL.  I noticed that you seem to have stats for the all the cards - did you come across a way to get the exported stats from the MUL or through some alternative mechanism (I recall a big spreadsheet with all alpha strike stats that used to be floating around).

Final and most important question - how does the GTR-1 Great Turtle render for you? :)

c_gee

• Number of the Be(a)st!
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Corporal
Re: Any Python/JS/C#/Unity coders out there?
« Reply #2 on: 13 March 2018, 10:20:02 »
Thanks for the excellent feedback/praise.

What did you end up using for the UI layer?
I'm not sure what you mean (remember that I'm new to coding and its terms/slang), but I think the answer is that I used Python's Pygame module to handle the graphics.

I'm not sure what PySDL is.

I played around with a similar concept a few years back when Alpha Strike first came out, and ended up writing some web crawler code to pull down cards from the MUL.  I noticed that you seem to have stats for the all the cards - did you come across a way to get the exported stats from the MUL or through some alternative mechanism (I recall a big spreadsheet with all alpha strike stats that used to be floating around).

All the stats I have are in a spreadsheet containing ALL of BT's units (at least all from 2 years ago) which was given to me by someone representing CGL (I'm a demo agent and personally know some of CGL's owners/high ups).

Final and most important question - how does the GTR-1 Great Turtle render for you? :)

Again, not sure how to answer this. Not sure if you're asking a legit question. That said, if you're asking about the images for every unit, I only have the images seen in the demo, but it's easy to download them from the MUL and add them to the program when/if this thing goes further. Many of them do need to be cropped/altered slightly though.
Demo Agent #666
Vancouver, Canada