Author Topic: Monarch Dropships  (Read 8992 times)

dgorsman

• Captain
Re: Monarch Dropships
« Reply #30 on: 21 November 2019, 17:28:46 »
They didn't leave with only WarShips.   Plenty of JumpShips as well.  I don't think that available collars would be a seriously limiting concern.
Think about it.  It's what we do.
- The Society

Thunder LRMs: the gift that keeps on giving.  They're the glitter of the BattleTech universe.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #31 on: 21 November 2019, 17:42:54 »
Really Kerensky should never have left with very many Unions, especially with only handful of Leopards, than what we see later.  All the division's worth of gear should have been set up as storage rather than waste drop collars on combat transports like Overlords, Unions and Leopards.  Kerensky should have been doing everything possible so that every single Lee and Colossus was set to go- never should have been one on Ep E.  Consider how much food, water and life support let alone fuel it would take to move a sizable number of people . . . for all the grief Neo BSG got, they treated the first few episodes fleeing from the Cylons right in a desperate scramble for supplies.  While Kerensky's Exodus was planned, its still a matter of having enough supplies in enough hulls to allow a fleet to move rather than forage- skimming fuel from gas giants & melting down Kupier objects to get water.  What is the BT stat, a ton of supplies for 200 people a day that are in actual quarters?

Drop collars are ALWAYS the choke point in BTU's transport, and the lack of canon large bulk freighters and transports helps keep that a narrow chokepoint.  I mean, look at the Queen Mary during WWII, several times she hauled more than 10,000 individuals on a cruise.  A dropship carrying around 10,000 men is going to be a division of infantry and a good chunk of support.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

JA Baker

• Captain
  • Dreamer Of Dreams
Monarch Dropships
« Reply #32 on: 21 November 2019, 18:26:09 »
I wouldn't be surprised if there are entire classes, plural, of JumpShips that had massive passenger capacity, built for troop transport and colonisation efforts, that we simply have no information on because they were built during the golden age of expansion and then either worked to death, turned into orbital infrastructure, destroyed during the Succession Wars or left with Kerensky.

Why do you think so many of us have come up with plans for compact-core transports?
"That's the thing about invading the Capellan Confederation: half a decade later, you want to invade it again"
-Attributed to First-Prince Hanse Davion, 3030

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Not Dead Until I Say So
« Reply #33 on: 21 November 2019, 23:50:14 »
Kerensky's other problem was likely he didnt know when/if a succession state would stab him in the back.  While he had time it was also ticking down I'd say hed have taken anything he was given and if something broke down it was left with Kerensky simply expecting it to be destroyed in the next round of fighting

He probably thought the assets left in Blskes control would fall prey to it as well not expecting ComStar to remain just on Terra and running communications
My three main Alternate Timeline with Thanks fan-fiction threads are in the links below. I'm always open to suggestions or additions to be incorporated so if you feel you wish to add something feel free. There's non-canon units, equipment, people, events, erm... Solar Systems spread throughout so please enjoy

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,20515.0.html - Part 1

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,52013.0.html - Part 2

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,79196.0.html - Part 3

RifleMech

• Major
« Reply #34 on: 22 November 2019, 04:57:00 »
TRO:3057R says that the 30 Potemkins that Kerensky were used to transport the troops families and that they mingled and traded goods. So I can easily see there being a couple R&R dropships attached. Actually for all we know Kerensky could have taken some mobile habitat stations.  Kerensky certainly would have taken mobile stations with him for mining and manufacture. Wolf's Dragoons brought one back with them. So why not take habitats or even entertainment stations as well? That would have helped him bring a lot more people without having to refit dripships. Plus there could be dropships and jumpships designed for large scale people moving. There's been colony missions before so there could be ships available that he could purchase or recommission.

Whether there are or not I still think that many of the passengers traveled in old infantry carriers. It'd be the fastest way Kerensky could get people movers. I don't know if the bays themselves had to be filled to capacity but you could easily get a few families into one.

I can also see Kerensky still using the smaller dropships for his troops. He's still in "hostile" territory and he'd want to maintain unit cohesion just in case. I know dropship collars are a choke point. The thing is we don't have a number for how many Jumpships or Dropships went with Kerensky. We know he had 402 warships, 30 of which were Potemkins. That's 750 docking collars right there. That still leaves a lot of docking collars on the warships. The number on Jumpships is unknown. (At least I'm not able to find a number. Anyone see one?)

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
« Reply #35 on: 05 December 2019, 00:44:36 »
Ok please someone tell me how much passengers I can squeeze into a single DroST IIA dropper... if a Platoon can be a fictitious 30 personnel per Platoon.

I get 300 people each per Infantry Bay and another 2,211 tons of cargo.

VS.

A Princess-class Luxury Liner Cargo Refit, which turned the Earth deck into a bare-bones cargo space and the Pool deck into a liquid fuel tank. Adding more cargo space to this when striping the ship of nonessential.

The question is how many people can I make into a standard 10-ton cargo container with a proper room for stable health... assuming 2 square meals a day and a bi-daily shower. ( Hey, water is at a rationed premium here... ) Gravity trips once a week for a few hours.

TT

Edit: per ERRATA : Cargo, Container 10 tons 1 per container (‘Mech or Vehicle) 10 tons per container NA

Meaning IF I read correctly, I can squeeze 3x 30-personnel per 10 ton Cargo container with a 1 ton Life Support Module? 90 people per 10 tons @ give or take 400K+ in total per a single Princess...  ???

TT
« Last Edit: 05 December 2019, 01:02:52 by truetanker »
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

RifleMech

• Major
« Reply #36 on: 06 December 2019, 13:55:56 »
There's a 1 ton Life Support Module?  ???

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #37 on: 06 December 2019, 15:52:30 »
Isn't it 10% of the total weight?

I was rounding it to achieve correctly the weight.

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016

RifleMech

• Major
« Reply #38 on: 07 December 2019, 03:29:22 »
Isn't it 10% of the total weight?

I was rounding it to achieve correctly the weight.

TT

For a 10 ton shipping container?  I've never heard of it. Why not have the 10 ton shipping container carry two 5 ton infantry bays? That's 60 troops with life support built in.

You could also take the 2,211 cargo bay and convert it for livestock and carry 2,035 people.

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #39 on: 09 December 2019, 00:24:45 »
Then how would you run the cities when they arrive? If you had used all the open space as a giant transport for your peoples, where as each 10 ton transport cargo container could be used as a mini housing unit.

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse

RifleMech

• Major
« Reply #40 on: 09 December 2019, 07:48:23 »
I think you're asking we would they live until they get their cities built? On the dropships. In tents under the open sky. Where ever. Pretty much the same as other settlers over the ages.

That's presuming that they didn't use some cargo space for prefab buildings. Which I would think they'd do. Infantry bays and cattle class living conditions are exactly ideal. You'd want to get the passengers off as soon as you could.

AlphaMirage

• Major
« Reply #41 on: 09 December 2019, 08:06:50 »
I think you're asking we would they live until they get their cities built? On the dropships. In tents under the open sky. Where ever. Pretty much the same as other settlers over the ages.

That's presuming that they didn't use some cargo space for prefab buildings. Which I would think they'd do. Infantry bays and cattle class living conditions are exactly ideal. You'd want to get the passengers off as soon as you could.

Except that the life support requirements for passengers under those conditions would be astronomical compared to the proper living quarters that are represented in the passenger bay.  You'd be spending all your cargo space on air and cooling capacity.  The rules state that the quarters are more efficient than bays.  I think it is more probable they hot racked and double up on quarters at a slight increase to life support mass than cram so many people into bays for months

RifleMech

• Major
« Reply #42 on: 09 December 2019, 08:35:32 »
Except that the life support requirements for passengers under those conditions would be astronomical compared to the proper living quarters that are represented in the passenger bay.  You'd be spending all your cargo space on air and cooling capacity.  The rules state that the quarters are more efficient than bays.  I think it is more probable they hot racked and double up on quarters at a slight increase to life support mass than cram so many people into bays for months

I did say it wouldn't be ideal. It's also why I think ships like the Monarch and Princess were included. To give people a break from all the crowding. It wouldn't surprise me if similar facilities weren't found on many of the jump and warships, especially the grav decks. People without anything to do tend to get into mischief. The Monarch's and Princess's facilities would relieve their boredom so they wouldn't get into mischief.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #43 on: 09 December 2019, 10:25:44 »
So . . . your suggesting Kerensky used the neo BSG lottery system for the starliner?

Actually . . . you know, I have to wonder how much the thinking for the Exodus used the original Battlestar Galactica . . .
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

RifleMech

• Major
« Reply #44 on: 09 December 2019, 14:57:56 »
So . . . your suggesting Kerensky used the neo BSG lottery system for the starliner?

Actually . . . you know, I have to wonder how much the thinking for the Exodus used the original Battlestar Galactica . . .

Don't know. Do you mean the re-imagined version? I don't think I got that far. I barely managed the first season and gave up.

I don't think it was a lottery. I think it's possible he used them as resorts. Make a reservation and go enjoy the pool or movie or whatever. Of course I can also see the rich traveling on them too. With thousands of dropships I can easily see both happening.

Good question. It probably had an influence.

Register