Author Topic: 2012-05-18 Blitzkrieg: Ghost Bear's Lament 1-2 [Steven Mohan, Jr.]  (Read 7142 times)

roosterboy

• Site Maintenance
  • Major
  • J'accuse!
Part 1: Instrument of Destruction

The first of the new Blitzkrieg short novels!

Star Commander Richard Bekker of Clan Ghost Bear is smart, tough, and ruthless—the perfect Clan warrior. Victory is all he has ever known. That’s about to change.

Part 2: The Fading Call of Glory

Part 2 of Ghost Bear's Lament from Blitzkrieg!

Star Colonel Richard Bekker is on Tukayyid, a world sacred to the Ghost Bears, but he is beset on all sides by challenges; challenges from peers are bad enough, but when a new challenger appears from out-system...

« Last Edit: 18 May 2012, 09:03:29 by roosterboy »

Demos

• Captain
Re: 2012-02-15 Blitzkrieg: Ghost Bear's Lament 1 [Steven Mohan, Jr.]
« Reply #1 on: 21 February 2012, 01:15:46 »
A good, solid story, but IMHO it focused too much on the accident at Damien. ~ 60 pages... A prologue at the fight on Thule or something similar would have been fine, while dropping some pages in the inferno.
No offense intended, but it was a bit like 'Titanic', only in space.  ;)

Nevertheless, a good read and I'm anxious for Richard Bekker in the Jihad.
"WoB - Seekers of Serenity, Protectors of Human Purity, Enforcers of Blake's Will!"

Frabby

• Major
Just got around to finally read this. Great narrative, great writing. Steve Mohan definitely is among the premier BT authors out there!
Sarna.net BattleTechWiki Admin
Author of the BattleCorps stories Feather vs. Mountain, Rise and Shine, Proprietary, Trial of Faith & scenario Twins

Frank

• Master Sergeant
  • The True Holders Of Kerensky's Legecy
Good story. Interesting decisions that had to be made. Made them look like normal humans.

Any idea on part 2?

Demos

• Captain
Part Two was published today and should also be availale as a pdf in a few days (or so I hope).
"WoB - Seekers of Serenity, Protectors of Human Purity, Enforcers of Blake's Will!"

roosterboy

• Site Maintenance
  • Major
  • J'accuse!
And Part 2 is now available to BC subscribers as a PDF.

Frabby

• Major
Fantastic! This is even better than part 1.  O0

The Blitzkrieg novels are probably the first that make Clan characters work for me (after Phil Lee's stories paved the way to seeing Clans as something else than total jerks).
Sarna.net BattleTechWiki Admin
Author of the BattleCorps stories Feather vs. Mountain, Rise and Shine, Proprietary, Trial of Faith & scenario Twins

joechummer

• BattleTech Developer
  • Lieutenant
  • My blood runs the color of jade.
    • Philip Lee Writing
The Blitzkrieg novels are probably the first that make Clan characters work for me (after Phil Lee's stories paved the way to seeing Clans as something else than total jerks).
Aw, shucks. I got a name drop, and this isn't even my thread  O:-)

Philip A. LeeManaging Editor of Shrapnel, the Official BattleTech Magazine. Author of BattleCorps stories A Wolf in the Eyrie, Half of a Warrior, Seeds of Loyalty, Whispering Death, Fragments of History, A Living Epitaph, Double Down, So Costly a Sacrifice, Rain Dance, Quail Hunting, A Show of Force, and A Keystone Arch, Seven Years' Bad Luck, High Value Target, The Face of the Enemy, Horn and Fang, and A Measure of Clarity
Twitter: @JoeChummer
Author Page
Official Website

Garlon

• Private
Read it and enjoyed it even if Richard Bekker is something of a losing man, tries hard but never seems to get total success.

Demos

• Captain
A great read!  O0
I would like to hear another story of Richard Bekker, meeting a honorably end in the Jihad (cannot see hin defecting to Stone  :P).

Summoner

• Master Sergeant
Fantastic! This is even better than part 1.  O0

Agreed. There has been a great deal of unimaginative and bad writing over the years when it comes to the Clans. It always seemed to me that some of writers looked for a warrior/martial culture to reference and they copied some of the more well known ones and as a result, they made them into irrational dimwits. And granted many on both sides were meant to be that way, but I doubt characters like Marthe Pryde and Vladimir Ward could have brought their Clans back from disaster without having something going for them other than brawn.

joechummer

• BattleTech Developer
  • Lieutenant
    • Philip Lee Writing
Agreed. There has been a great deal of unimaginative and bad writing over the years when it comes to the Clans. It always seemed to me that some of writers looked for a warrior/martial culture to reference and they copied some of the more well known ones and as a result, they made them into irrational dimwits. And granted many on both sides were meant to be that way, but I doubt characters like Marthe Pryde and Vladimir Ward could have brought their Clans back from disaster without having something going for them other than brawn.
If you're looking for some stories that feature Clan warriors that aren't just stereotypical belligerents, check out any of the stories mentioned in my signature, if you haven't read them already. They should be available in the BattleShop if your BattleCorps subscription is still current.

Philip A. LeeManaging Editor of Shrapnel, the Official BattleTech Magazine. Author of BattleCorps stories A Wolf in the Eyrie, Half of a Warrior, Seeds of Loyalty, Whispering Death, Fragments of History, A Living Epitaph, Double Down, So Costly a Sacrifice, Rain Dance, Quail Hunting, A Show of Force, and A Keystone Arch, Seven Years' Bad Luck, High Value Target, The Face of the Enemy, Horn and Fang, and A Measure of Clarity
Author Page
Official Website

Summoner

• Master Sergeant
Will do. I already have four of your stories on my IPad. Good stuff.

joechummer

• BattleTech Developer
  • Lieutenant
    • Philip Lee Writing
Thanks. I'm glad you like it.

Author Page
Official Website

Alex Keller

• Captain
Is Blitzkrieg not happening anymore?  I liked reading stories for like, the first time in 10 years.

joechummer

• BattleTech Developer
  • Lieutenant
    • Philip Lee Writing
If memory serves, Blitzkrieg was an experiment to gauge sales interest in longer BT stories. Also, stories of that length take time to conceive, write, revise, fact-check, revise (again), copyedit, revise (sometimes), and typeset. Based on the "experiment" model, there would need to be time to evaluate the success of the initial offerings before greenlighting any future installments, which would mean a sizable time gap between the publication of the initial test-run batch and any further offerings. In other words, if Blitzkrieg DOES continue—and I honestly don't know one way or the other, as that's well above my pay grade :D—I'd assume any further stories are probably still in one of the aforementioned stages.

Hopefully we'll hear something one way or another in the near future. Until then, I'd keep my fingers crossed. More BT fiction is always a good thing, regardless of what form it comes in ;D

Author Page
Official Website

Revanche

• Warrant Officer
  • Fanah’s Fangs (formerly of the Talitha Division)
Direct BattleCorps link

Hope that helps,
Rev

Alex Keller

• Captain
Thanks JoeChummer.

Rev, thanks for the link to Battlecorps.  I've been a Battletech fan since the late 90s, so I know exactly what Battlecorps is.  I just don't want it.  I want more stuff like this [Blitzkrieg] or printed books. 

Cheers

Revanche

• Warrant Officer
  • Fanah’s Fangs (formerly of the Talitha Division)
Thanks JoeChummer.

Rev, thanks for the link to Battlecorps.  I've been a Battletech fan since the late 90s, so I know exactly what Battlecorps is.  I just don't want it.  I want more stuff like this [Blitzkrieg] or printed books. 

Cheers

Understood all, Alex. I actually posted the direct link to this specific story for anyone who had trouble finding it, as I had before Joe's help.

Atlas3060

• ugh this guy again
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Just some rando
I have to finish part two.
I didn't stop due to any lack of interest, but rather I can't read successfully while driving my dad to work.
Usually the train is my mode of transportation, but not his.  >:(
He can't drive, actually I won't let him, because of his broken ankle!

Heal darn you! Heal so you can have independence and I the ability to enjoy my stories again!
It's not about winning or losing, no it's all about how many chapters have you added to the rule books after your crazy antics.

Atlas3060

• ugh this guy again
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Just some rando
Re: 2012-05-18 Blitzkrieg: Ghost Bear's Lament 1-2 [Steven Mohan, Jr.]
« Reply #20 on: 24 August 2012, 22:22:46 »
Whoohooo I finished!
I loved it!
I'm frantically hoping more of these will be made!

Richard Bekker's viewpoint of the current situation was nice and I hope he doesn't defect to Stone either, but rather respect the man and move on.
I did like how Stone was written, but I would really love to see a story on why McKinnon follows Stone with such zeal.
It's not about winning or losing, no it's all about how many chapters have you added to the rule books after your crazy antics.

Summoner

• Master Sergeant
Re: 2012-05-18 Blitzkrieg: Ghost Bear's Lament 1-2 [Steven Mohan, Jr.]
« Reply #21 on: 26 August 2012, 14:54:17 »
Yes. Both the Ghost Bear and the Connor Rood story were great and the scream for continuation.

More please.