Author Topic: Blazer Seydlitz  (Read 685 times)

Dapper Apples

• Master Sergeant
Blazer Seydlitz
« on: 17 March 2024, 19:43:47 »
It's probably already been done, but if you stack all the weight saving equipment, you can totally fit a binary laser into a Seydlitz interceptor.  With heavy ferro-aluminum you only lose three armor pips, and double heatsinks allows one to fire the binary freely.

It is debatable if the high tech expense is worth it on a plane that perishes to basically anything, but a blazer should be sufficient to threshold most other fighters.

Code: [Select]
Seydlitz SYD-ZX

Mass: 20 tons
Frame: Unknown
Power Plant: 180 XL
Armor: Heavy Ferro-Aluminum
Armament:
     1 Binary Laser (Blazer) Cannon
Manufacturer: Unknown
     Primary Factory: Unknown
Communication System: Unknown
Targeting & Tracking System: Unknown
Introduction Year: 3075
Tech Rating/Availability: E/X-X-E-D
Cost: 2,335,630 C-bills

Type: Seydlitz
Technology Base: Inner Sphere (Standard)
Tonnage: 20
Battle Value: 686

Equipment                                          Mass
Engine                        180 XL                3.5
Safe Thrust: 11
Max Thrust: 17
Structural Integrity:         11                       
Heat Sinks:                   10 [20]                 0
Fuel:                         240                   3.0
Cockpit                                               3
Armor Factor (Heavy Ferro)    29                    1.5

Armor   
                           Value   
     Nose                    10   
     Wings                  5/5   
     Aft                     9     

Weapons
and Ammo              Location   Tonnage  Heat   SRV  MRV  LRV  ERV
Binary Laser Cannon     NOS       9.0      16    12   12    0    0 

DevianID

• Captain
Re: Blazer Seydlitz
« Reply #1 on: 18 March 2024, 00:25:14 »
I like it!  If you switch to a small cockpit you can get some armor back, giving it better protection then the original.  Or, can leave the armor at 1.5 tons and mount a HPPC for the LOLs.

The cost isnt that unreasonable either, 1.3 million for the base large laser seydlitz, versus 2.3 million here, and you get quite the upgrade when punching above your weightclass.

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Miss Chitty finds your honor rules quaint.
« Reply #2 on: 18 March 2024, 01:30:53 »
Heh, Blaze'dlitz.
Good news is the lab boys say the symptoms of asbestos poisoning show an immediate latency of 44.6 years. So if you're thirty or over you're laughing. Worst case scenario you miss out on a few rounds of canasta, plus you've forwarded the cause of science by three centuries. I punch those numbers into my calculator, it makes a happy face.

(indirect accessory to the) Slayer of Monitors!

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #3 on: 18 March 2024, 17:09:04 »
I honestly never thought to cram a Blazer into a Seydlitz!  Welcome to the Blazer Mafia! ;D

Hellraiser

• Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
« Reply #4 on: 18 March 2024, 21:47:02 »
I saw the title & my first thought was......... How did someone do this & its NOT DARYK ?????
3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #5 on: 19 March 2024, 03:16:35 »
Heh... I don't have a monopoly on Blazer Cannon designs! ;D

DarthMetool

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #6 on: 20 March 2024, 10:54:11 »
I want 3 wings of this but I can't find the order button.   :grin:
"John Hancock.  Wait, you want MY signature?"
The TRB Military Catalog
GENERATION 45: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #7 on: 25 March 2024, 21:43:06 »
I honestly never thought to cram a Blazer into a Seydlitz!  Welcome to the Blazer Mafia! ;D
Sir that worries me that you have not tried one yet????
"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #8 on: 26 March 2024, 03:15:33 »
Gio just pointed out to me that Capacitors fire every turn with one-minute turns... >:D

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • And I think it's gonna be a long, long time...
« Reply #9 on: 26 March 2024, 03:54:39 »
Gio just pointed out to me that Capacitors fire every turn with one-minute turns... >:D

You do, of course, account for their added heat when firing, though. :)

Edit: Note Alpha Strike does not do this.  In Alpha Strike, your damage is evened out over two turns, assuming you spend one charging, even in space, so you get no benefit from capacitors in Alpha Strike.
« Last Edit: 26 March 2024, 06:30:35 by Giovanni Blasini »
"Does anyone know where the love of God goes / When the waves turn the minutes to hours?"
-- Gordon Lightfoot, "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald"

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #10 on: 26 March 2024, 17:16:37 »
Rog... I'll add that to my list of reasons to not play Alpha Strike... ;)

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #11 on: 26 March 2024, 18:02:56 »
Rog... I'll add that to my list of reasons to not play Alpha Strike... ;)

Alpha Strike is great for playing large scale games, especially when you may not have as much time to play them using Total Warfare rules, and a lot of things are a lot easier to run in Alpha Strike versus TW, like artillery, LAMs, etc.  The BT player base here in San Diego is almost entirely Alpha Strike for that reason.
"Does anyone know where the love of God goes / When the waves turn the minutes to hours?"

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #12 on: 26 March 2024, 18:26:07 »
Having run a Battalion vs. Battalion game at a convention back in the day, I'll just chalk that up to player preference... ;)

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #13 on: 27 March 2024, 00:23:49 »
Having run a Battalion vs. Battalion game at a convention back in the day, I'll just chalk that up to player preference... ;)

Or even company vs company with six people these days, done in about 3 hours.

I do not have time to run standard Battletech games of any length anymore on an actual tabletop against other people, even when it's MegaMek.  It just takes too long, and the occasions I've tried Against the Bot campaigns a battle might take me ages to finish as I leave and come back to it periodically.

Other than a single one-on-one fight I did with the Beginner's Box Set to introduce my wife to the system, I've not played Total Warfare on a tabletop in more than 10 years, possibly closer to 15.  I don't particularly see my life getting any less busy before I either retire or drop dead.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #14 on: 27 March 2024, 03:18:38 »
Totally fair!

Hellraiser

• Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
« Reply #15 on: 27 March 2024, 23:55:56 »
I can see playing AS In Space if I was wanting to play a SLDF era invasion fleet scenario.

Otherwise I'd think just using the Squadron rules would be a fast enough?

Now on the ground, yeah, I think the largest single game I ever played in was a Con game of Trinary v/s Battlion.

And the most units I've ever controlled myself at TW scale was IIRC, something like 4 lances & it was a nightmare.

I love TW, but, really, even a lot of the Company v/s Company fights take far too long.

I recall one in high school that took the better part of 2 weekends to play out and that was only 12 v 9 units.

My local GM puts a time limit of half a day at a FLGS & for big games we can barely pull off a turn an hour, maybe 2.

To get more than 10 turns in has happened only a couple times in the last 20 years.

Most the time its like 4-8 at the most.

These days I'm a big fan of keeping it to about a lance each & playing 1 on 1 v/s Teams of players.

Something w/ a unit count limit of like 1-8 or so & allowing for a small mix of mechs/vees/infantry
3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

DevianID

• Captain
« Reply #16 on: 28 March 2024, 01:11:57 »
So based on the PPC capacitor stuff shooting every turn, which I hate BTW, a PPC+ Capacitor will be 8 tons, 15 damage, 15 heat, same range as the 9 ton, 12 damage blazer?

I mean, thats just always better right?  (part of why I hate it, unless there is some other balance factor that could help)

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #17 on: 28 March 2024, 02:02:22 »
So based on the PPC capacitor stuff shooting every turn, which I hate BTW, a PPC+ Capacitor will be 8 tons, 15 damage, 15 heat, same range as the 9 ton, 12 damage blazer?

I mean, thats just always better right?  (part of why I hate it, unless there is some other balance factor that could help)

First off, it only happens when you’re in space, basically, because you’re high enough up that you’re on that scale and your turns are a minute long, rather than 10 seconds.  As soon as you’re in the thicker atmosphere mixing it up in the weeds, and your turns are only 10 seconds long, you’re back to it functioning no different than it does on the ground, and you have to charge it and shoot it on alternate turns, so your damage averages out or, in some cases, is even less than if you didn’t have a capacitor in the long run. That’s why under Alpha Strike rules, a capacitor either doesn’t add to your damage or drops your average damage.

Meanwhile, that Blazer is 12 points all the time, any time scale, and gets converted to Alpha Strike accordingly.