Author Topic: Marauder 2R  (Read 8684 times)

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
Marauder 2R
« on: 14 July 2017, 15:57:51 »
Was the Royal Marauder, the -2R, ever put back into production during the Jihad or afterwards?

Its at least half the cost of the non-3025 designs and should be easy to find spares, techs with knowledge to fix, and is a solid trooper as folks are struggling to equip during the Jihad or rebuilding afterwards.  It would also IMO be easy to later upgrade to more advanced designs.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Decoy

• Captain
Re: Marauder 2R
« Reply #1 on: 14 July 2017, 16:44:39 »
If you go by the MUL it's available during the Jihad era, like many Royal designs. 

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Miss Chitty finds your honor rules quaint.
« Reply #2 on: 14 July 2017, 17:16:30 »
Based on the Master Unit list, it looks like the Taurians put it back into production during the Jihad, and it spread to the major periphery states and mercenary market from there.
Good news is the lab boys say the symptoms of asbestos poisoning show an immediate latency of 44.6 years. So if you're thirty or over you're laughing. Worst case scenario you miss out on a few rounds of canasta, plus you've forwarded the cause of science by three centuries. I punch those numbers into my calculator, it makes a happy face.

(indirect accessory to the) Slayer of Monitors!

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #3 on: 14 July 2017, 20:51:59 »
Which Taurians?  As a merc that design would be a great inducement to hire on . . . except for that whole bit about how the TC treated some mercs in the late '60s.

I would also see it as a good trade item . . . in the future- trade it to the Filtvelt for Hounds, for Hawk Wolves with the Brotherhood, maybe the Raven Alliance for aerospace, and if the old trade ties still exist, the Canopians for some of their more advanced designs.
Colt Ward

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #4 on: 14 July 2017, 21:39:03 »
The Taurian Concordat, based on the master unit list, probably as an upgrade of their existing Marauder line.
Good news is the lab boys say the symptoms of asbestos poisoning show an immediate latency of 44.6 years. So if you're thirty or over you're laughing. Worst case scenario you miss out on a few rounds of canasta, plus you've forwarded the cause of science by three centuries. I punch those numbers into my calculator, it makes a happy face.

Decoy

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: 14 July 2017, 22:33:18 »
You have no specific information for this?

For example, it could be that the Niops Association is making the refit kit and shipping them out to anyone who would buy?

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #6 on: 14 July 2017, 22:56:09 »
The only specific information I possess is where the 2R Marauder appears on the master unit list. It gets added to the Taurian List (and nobody else in the inner sphere) during the Jihad era. During the Republic era it's still on the Concordat list, but also ends up on the Canopean, Marian, and Mercenary lists (also Raven Alliance, but that could be a carryover from its time on the clan lists, or a sign of export).

Objectives periphery also tells us that the Taurians were building some sort of Marauder on New Vandenburg after the jihad, but it doesn't mention which type.

Even so, I think it would be a stretch to say that someone else was building the 2R for the Taurians when they had a functioning marauder factory and nobody else was using the type.

Alexander Knight

• Peditum Generalis
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
  • O-R-E-O
« Reply #7 on: 14 July 2017, 23:26:50 »
Production of the MAD-2R started on New Vandenburg in the the 3070s after recovery of the New Dallas core.

Hellraiser

• Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
« Reply #8 on: 14 July 2017, 23:33:52 »
FM:3085 has the Marauder-2R in 1 slot that I can find.

#18 for the TC & no one else.

So Boxcars for B-Commands & 10+ for A-Rated in terms of availability.

Not that RATs mean much but it should tell you that its pretty knew as of 3085 & has not spread to other nations.

So I'd say AK is right on with his statement.
3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #9 on: 15 July 2017, 07:41:33 »
So I'd say AK is right on with his statement.

Also, AK is on the MUL team and knows the reason(s) why we marked the MAD-2R availability the way we did.
Alpha Strike Introduction resources
Left of Center blog - Nashira Campaign for A Game of Armored Combat, TP 3039 Vega Supplemental Record Sheets

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #10 on: 15 July 2017, 11:14:28 »
It would not be hard to upgrade a MAD-3R production line to make a -1R or -2R. I doubt many in the IS proper still had such lines, so the tuarians making them is logical. They got advanced tech later than most, so a quicker and simpler upgrade would be positive for them.

And the -2R is a simple changeover that has a big effect. It is pretty much a -3R, only with most of the heat and range issues removed.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #11 on: 15 July 2017, 13:31:48 »
IMO it would also make sense for them to sell upgrade kits for all the mercs still out there using -3R, -3M or -3L . . . the -3D is a toss up IMO.
Colt Ward

Alexander Knight

• Peditum Generalis
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
  • O-R-E-O
« Reply #12 on: 15 July 2017, 17:25:04 »
Also, AK is on the MUL team and knows the reason(s) why we marked the MAD-2R availability the way we did.

Sure do, but I didn't think you wanted people to know about those pictures of you in the sheer miniskirt....

Baldur Mekorig

• Lieutenant
  • Join the Brotherhood, our mechs are cuter!
    • My Facebook
« Reply #13 on: 15 July 2017, 17:46:22 »
Production of the MAD-2R started on New Vandenburg in the the 3070s after recovery of the New Dallas core.

That particular model is also produced in Pinard by PPL and TTI in Taurus?
Oh my brother, with your courage we can conquer,
In your sword I put my trust that you will honor
I will be the higher ground should you concede it
And my body be your shield if you should need it.

Alexander Knight

• Peditum Generalis
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
  • O-R-E-O
« Reply #14 on: 15 July 2017, 18:01:58 »
That particular model is also produced in Pinard by PPL and TTI in Taurus?

Hmm....nope.  Pinard never updated from their MAD-3R line from the 3030s, and TTI's Marauder line vanished in an asteroid impact in the 3070s.

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #15 on: 15 July 2017, 18:22:48 »
Hmm....nope.  Pinard never updated from their MAD-3R line from the 3030s, and TTI's Marauder line vanished in an asteroid impact in the 3070s.

Interesting that Pinard never retooled. I wonder if the simpler design sells well in the periphery.

Alexander Knight

• Peditum Generalis
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
  • O-R-E-O
« Reply #16 on: 15 July 2017, 18:25:41 »
Oh, they retooled OTHER lines, just not the Marauder.  A good guess would be that they didn't have the spare profit.

Baldur Mekorig

• Lieutenant
    • My Facebook
« Reply #17 on: 15 July 2017, 18:34:39 »
Oh, they retooled OTHER lines, just not the Marauder.  A good guess would be that they didn't have the spare profit.

Well, by 3076 PPL was in an akward position, with both VNI and TTI looking to buy the ailing corporation. Apparently the managed to survive if you see in the Marauder BA fluff.

Now, it is good to know what they retooled? In Objective:Periphery they get the Phoenix Hawk in the Pinard factory, and i am convinced that model is the -4W, a line probably made by the WoB (the other is in the Canopus IV MMM factory i think). My guess is that PPL is trying to reintroduce some of their lost production from the razed Perdition factory (Wasp, Vedette, L. SRM CArrier, J. Edgar and Fulcrum, Thunderbird ASF and other components). They also lost their Sabre factory in Organo, as the planet was taken in Operation MATADOR IIRC. Maybe they are producing it for the FS, or maybe someone else took control of the factory.

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #18 on: 15 July 2017, 18:40:26 »

Just noticed that the Canopeans started producing marauders post jihad (according to objectives periphery). Don't suppose those are upgrades?

Alexander Knight

• Peditum Generalis
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
  • O-R-E-O
« Reply #19 on: 15 July 2017, 18:49:51 »
MMI builds the MAD-5L on Canopus

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #20 on: 15 July 2017, 18:51:26 »
Arright.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #21 on: 15 July 2017, 21:38:30 »
-5L?  Rather have the -3L, for all its advanced it misses the point of Stealth & ranged weapons.
Colt Ward

Baldur Mekorig

• Lieutenant
    • My Facebook
« Reply #22 on: 15 July 2017, 22:47:23 »
-5L?  Rather have the -3L, for all its advanced it misses the point of Stealth & ranged weapons.

Well, between having a SW model with 2 LL, 2 ML and 1 PPC, or  2 ERML, 2 ERLL and 1 ERPPC with Stealth Armor, ECM, full armor and the edge in speen with the right heat, i think the option its not very hard. The -3L max range is 18 hex, the -5L is 23 hex, with other 2 weapons with 18 hex range, and none with minimum range. Also, you do not have to use the stealth armor active all the time. That ECM is useful to cut C3 networks, or streaks, or Artemis IV.

Alexander Knight

• Peditum Generalis
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
  • O-R-E-O
« Reply #23 on: 15 July 2017, 23:19:27 »

Welcome to "New Toy Syndrome" and being a Capellan ally. ;)

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #24 on: 15 July 2017, 23:21:09 »
Rechecked . . . I generally dismiss the energy armed Stealth Mechs, the Marauder is one of the few that can work.  I may have been thinking of the Warhammer which cannot fire from range with its stealth armor.
Colt Ward

VhenRa

• Captain
« Reply #25 on: 16 July 2017, 04:17:02 »
I am assuming a similar explanation is true for the 5Sb T-Bolt and 6Rb Warhammer on the TC List?

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #26 on: 16 July 2017, 14:44:11 »
I am assuming a similar explanation is true for the 5Sb T-Bolt and 6Rb Warhammer on the TC List?

Objectives: Periphery indicate that TTI was refitting warhammers at what remained of their Taurus facility, so that was probably the 6Rb (maybe the 7M?)

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #27 on: 16 July 2017, 14:51:39 »
WHM-6Rb at Pinard.
TTI is building the WHM-10T/11T.

TDR-5Sb is being built at Pinard as well, at least until the TDR-9T.

And the Pinard PXH is the PXH-4W.
Alpha Strike Introduction resources
Left of Center blog - Nashira Campaign for A Game of Armored Combat, TP 3039 Vega Supplemental Record Sheets

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #28 on: 16 July 2017, 22:47:36 »
Thought the -7A was the Star League Warhammer?
Colt Ward

Baldur Mekorig

• Lieutenant
    • My Facebook
« Reply #29 on: 16 July 2017, 23:08:14 »
WHM-6Rb at Pinard.
TTI is building the WHM-10T/11T.

TDR-5Sb is being built at Pinard as well, at least until the TDR-9T.

And the Pinard PXH is the PXH-4W.

Soo much info....soo much updating my Objective Raids...

Register