Author Topic: Deep Space and Interplanetary Exploration - The Universe is Timeless  (Read 176857 times)

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
Re: Deep Space and Interplanetary Exploration - The Universe is Timeless
« Reply #1110 on: 01 January 2019, 12:05:02 »
Good thing New Horizons didn't have bowling on the menu!

http://pluto.jhuapl.edu/News-Center/News-Article.php?page=20190101

We have a successful pass, reestablished communcations with the satellite, initial self-checks report all is well, and that New Horizons has a databank full of things to send us.  Happy new year!
Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Jadefalke Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr!

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Colonel
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #1111 on: 01 January 2019, 14:51:27 »

3 images, taken around 70 minutes apart the day before, showing rotation. So the flattish light curve may just be an artifact of facing & slow rotation.
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #1112 on: 01 January 2019, 14:57:42 »
That is an excellent reminder that all the pictures we see of things out there aren't just static...  :thumbsup:

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #1113 on: 01 January 2019, 17:16:26 »
So it will be like week before the data fully assembled from the Probe?
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #1114 on: 01 January 2019, 17:35:37 »
Any word as to whether they've got a second target decided on?  I'd heard there was some consideration, and it's still got some fuel onboard for maneuver.
The next target hasn't been specified yet, but the New Horizons team has stated an interest in another flyby later in the 2020's.  I imagine there are a few candidates, its a matter of choosing one.
Playing Guitar On My YouTube Channel:
Current cover tune: "The Wind Cries Mary" (by Jimi Hendrix)
https://youtu.be/m6a8wZiCsjM?si=0w7tVOgk7yylNv6a

"Thou shalt not create a machine in the image of the human mind." ~ The Orange Catholic Bible, Dune, Frank Herbert

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #1115 on: 01 January 2019, 17:54:09 »
I wish it was possible get New Horizon's eyes on new dwarf planet they founded earlier this year, 2015 TG387, "The Goblin". Its a extreme trans-Neptunian object and sednoid in the outermost part of the solar system.

« Last Edit: 01 January 2019, 17:59:06 by Wrangler »
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants

kato

• Captain
« Reply #1116 on: 01 January 2019, 18:06:58 »
There's dozens of dwarf planets like it known out there in the Scattered Disk who'll neither get a visit.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #1117 on: 01 January 2019, 21:13:27 »
The Goblin's orbit is unique, since it's way out there and scientists believe it could lead to new major planet that's way out in orbit around the sun.

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #1118 on: 01 January 2019, 22:13:21 »
The Goblin's orbit is unique, since it's way out there and scientists believe it could lead to new major planet that's way out in orbit around the sun.

It would have to be near New Horizons' course.  At the speed that the probe travels, it can't really turn so much as divert.  Objects have to be found on it's path so that the probe can maneuver into position.  Ultima Thule was discovered expressly for these reasons.  It wasn't known until people began searching for possible targets for New Horizons to fly by.  The next target will likey be similar in this regard.
« Last Edit: 01 January 2019, 22:28:47 by rebs »

"Thou shalt not create a machine in the image of the human mind." ~ The Orange Catholic Bible, Dune, Frank Herbert

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
« Reply #1119 on: 01 January 2019, 22:14:11 »

3 images, taken around 70 minutes apart the day before, showing rotation. So the flattish light curve may just be an artifact of facing & slow rotation.
I read that was confirmed, that we got lucky and the rotation axis was lined up clean on New Horizons.  Should make for a pleasant time mapping each side, then, if we're getting it on a polar shot instead of a one-side flyby.

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Colonel
« Reply #1120 on: 02 January 2019, 16:44:32 »
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #1121 on: 02 January 2019, 16:46:43 »

So far, Ultima Thule appears to be a contact binary.   It shouldn't be long for more detailed images to be had, but I'm glad for what's available.

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Colonel
« Reply #1122 on: 02 January 2019, 16:50:49 »
I'm waiting for "Armageddon 2", where they have to deal with soft aggregates - slightly harder than drilling into a hard chunk of ice ;)

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #1123 on: 02 January 2019, 17:35:41 »
Looks like a rock-made- Snowman.

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #1124 on: 02 January 2019, 17:40:55 »
I'm waiting for "Armageddon 2", where they have to deal with soft aggregates - slightly harder than drilling into a hard chunk of ice ;)

Gravel is the new villain in this one. Hold on to your drill, it gets chunky from here...   

Here's a chart displaying reflectivity of Ultima Thule.  Images in this thread are courtesy of NASA and Johns Hopkins University and their Applied Physics Lab where the New Horizons team laboriously wait for data to trickle in.   

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #1125 on: 02 January 2019, 17:47:59 »
Wouldn't a soft aggregate just shatter and burn up in the atmosphere?  ???

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #1126 on: 02 January 2019, 17:49:16 »
Looks like a rock-made- Snowman.

It does.  And scientists have already decided the larger lobe is called Ultima and the smaller lobe is Thule.  The size ratio is 3 to 1, and the pair most likely began contact near the very beginning of the solar system, after a "crash" at perhaps as slow as 3 to 4 kilometers per hour.

Note what appears to be a frostline at the point of contact.

https://www.bbc.com/news/amp/science-environment-46742298

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #1127 on: 02 January 2019, 17:51:29 »
Wouldn't a soft aggregate just shatter and burn up in the atmosphere?  ???

It would rain, surely.  Lots of water ice locked in these bodies, plus the shear size.   But let's wait and see if there's a better answer from worltroll or kato.
« Last Edit: 02 January 2019, 17:53:39 by rebs »

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #1128 on: 02 January 2019, 17:58:08 »
I'm more than 20 years from my Astronomy minor back in the day, so I'll cheerfully wait for those who've kept their hands in... :)

HobbesHurlbut

• Captain
  • Live Free or Die Hard
« Reply #1129 on: 02 January 2019, 20:24:43 »
Stern noted that the team has received less than 1 percent of all the data stored aboard New Horizons. It will take nearly two years to get it all.
Wow
Clan Blood Spirit - So Bad Ass as to require Orbital Bombardments to wipe us out....it is the only way to be sure!

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
« Reply #1130 on: 02 January 2019, 21:00:14 »
Yeah, data transmission rates are about 1kb/s for New Horizons.  It's a twelve watt transmitter at four billion miles distance; even a laser's focus is going to spread that signal out so faintly it's nothing but a tiny whisper in the dark.

But we can hear you, honey, we hear you just fine.  Good job.

I wonder if they got any good spectroscopy data on that frost ring around the snowman's waist.  That's probably material that got pushed out from the subsurface as the two came into contact; it might give a glimpse what lies under the skin of Ultima Thule.

Maingunnery

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Pirates and C3 masters are on the hitlist
« Reply #1131 on: 02 January 2019, 21:02:08 »
I wonder if they got any good spectroscopy data on that frost ring around the snowman's waist.  That's probably material that got pushed out from the subsurface as the two came into contact; it might give a glimpse what lies under the skin of Ultima Thule.
If so, then the mission is extremely lucky upon lucky.
Herb: "Well, now I guess we'll HAVE to print it. Sounds almost like the apocalypse I've been working for...."

The Society:Fan XTRO & Field Manual
Nebula California: HyperTube Xtreme
Nebula Confederation Ships

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #1132 on: 02 January 2019, 21:46:23 »
It's as exciting as it is lucky.  Even if all contact binaries share the frost ring feature, it's awesome we were able to see it.

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #1133 on: 05 January 2019, 00:51:05 »

Juno - which is in its own extended mission phase - has captured an image of another volcanic eruption on Io.  Image courtesy of NASA and the Jet Propulsion Laboratory and universe today.com. Read more here:

https://www.universetoday.com/141034/juno-saw-one-of-ios-volcanoes-erupting-during-its-recent-flyby/amp/
« Last Edit: 05 January 2019, 03:49:13 by rebs »

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #1134 on: 07 January 2019, 12:39:09 »
Looks like China has some wheels on the Moon.

Slashgear report showed snapshot of their moon rover rolling out.

Sabelkatten

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1135 on: 07 January 2019, 13:00:14 »
I like how they make a thing about the wheels. You know, the ones that are copies of these... ::)

kato

• Captain
« Reply #1136 on: 07 January 2019, 13:43:49 »
Actually the wheels are one thing they changed with Yutu 2 in comparison to Yutu 1:

The suspension system is still the same as on NASA Mars rovers though.  ^-^

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #1137 on: 12 January 2019, 13:56:19 »
Footage of the landing of the Chinese Rover was released.  Someone posted on youtube, unlisted.  It's really cool video.

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
« Reply #1138 on: 12 January 2019, 14:15:20 »
Looks like it's at double speed from the way the clock ticks down.  Still immensely cool.  And seeing the resolution pick up tinier and tinier micrometeoroid craters, it really shows you what earth would look like without an atmosphere.  Fifty tons a day indeed.

kato

• Captain
« Reply #1139 on: 12 January 2019, 14:52:31 »
it really shows you what earth would look like without an atmosphere.
... and water and tectonic movement, for the other erosion factors.