Author Topic: HOGARTH VS Steel Vipers.  (Read 6475 times)

markhall

• Lieutenant
  • "The Button's Stuck!"
HOGARTH VS Steel Vipers.
« on: 10 March 2011, 20:47:05 »
So the planned game couldn't happen for a variety of unfortunate reasons this week. And at last minute I threw The BV for Hogarths unit at Dahtac(Otherwise know as Kieth) We have no mission beyond waste each other.
But we figure the Vipers where in the way of HOGARTHS new Summer home. And that is the reason for the fight.

Specials rules in play.
HOGARTH!! -5 to initiative
Steel Viper + 1 to initiative.
Hogarth only managed to draw the initiative roll twice all game.   We Lost every turn of it.

To: Kommandant-General
RE: Fitness for Duty of Leutnant General Thomas Hogarth.

Turn 1 to 4
All reports that Leutnant-General Hogarth is unfit to for duty after his brush against the Mariks last month are completely unfounded. Sure it seemed odd as he refused us perfectly good shots upon the Vipers until he was ready to engage the enemy himself. But his tactic paid off by allowing us to close quicker as we didn't have to focus on targeting. This assisted the recon unit who feinted to the far side of the lake only to bounce back under the protection of the larger assets.

Turn 5
Then in an inspiring show of the skills he has honed over the decades. He selected an enemy Masakari as his target and ordered weapons free. With the first Gauss slug he dropped the clan beast in its tracks. Cleanly removing the cockpit from the unit.Giving the Clanners pause for thought. It did appear to take some of the wind out of their sails.

Turn 6&7
Pushing this advantage all units pushed for behind the cover. The Clanners  did similar with two of their own. And we exchanged short ranged fire over the hilltop. Dropping one of them. They promptly got up and attempted to flee. It was at this point that the unit first noticed something off with the Leutnant-General. As he let his Atlas fall back behind the main force to allow it to cool after the last salvo of fire. It was very unlike him to sit by like that and let the Fafnir and MarauderII take fire.
The Vipers where still holding to their rules of warfare and demanding we behave similarly. Leutnant-General Hogarth ordered a great volume of fire on the enemy Dire Wolf hiding on the hill.  While others focused on the Kingfisher.
I personally got my First clanner kill when the Linebacker obliged by running past my T-Bolts feet allowing me to Kick the head clear off it.

Turn 8
Noticing how they where starting to get desperate sending one lone medium mech in an attempt to slow down our advance.
We pushed on out of the cover provided by the hills and the trees. Some protested and held back. But Hogarth assured us.
"That being able to target the enemy clearer makes it more likely that you will put them down."
And can one find fault with that? No sir. Considering the Ryuken losts its autocannon. And both the Kingfisher and Direwolf where put down. And for the cost of a few tons of armor.

Turn 9
Again we noted signs of a change of temperament in the Leutnant-General. He commanded the light unit remove the Ryuken from his sight. And when the crafty begger managed to skulk away the Leutnant-General seemed in no way putout. It could have been the fact he was so focused on hitting the Viper and yet again showing us the bad side of a Gauss to the command couch dropping it as it attempted to flank our forces. The Fire from the rest of the unit caused the remaining clan assaults to start falling back from our force. By now Whytes and  my T-Bolts  shared the fact that we had less armor than a Commando. But we were still capable of preforming the duties asked of us. 

Turn 10
Sensing  the end of this battle. The Vipers made an attempt upon the rear of Hogarts Atlas with their Black Lanner. And the Leutnant-General chose to focus on the fleeing assaults rather than it. He commanded the units on the mountain to destory it.
And again behaved very unHogarthy when they failed to do this simple task and ended up costing him a ton of his guass ammo. To be fair thou Crowleys Fafnir was suffer with a Gyro problem at the time.
I personally had my own issues when the Battlecobra that had been sniping all game suddenly rushed me. A flurry of fire exchanged between us. And I left him sprawled on the grassey floor as the heat spiked in my mech.

It was at this point Hogarth order us to cease pursuit of the Fleeing Viper assaults and to focus on the smaller units who where now stuck unsupported. It was simple work for the unit to finish them as there was nowhere for them to escape to.
This leads us to the last change in the Leutnant-Generals behavior the fact that all members of the squad survived is beyond me. Looking back over the commanders history I think this could be a first time we've not had to put in requests for new personal and equipment.
   So if there is something amiss with Hogarth since the Marik Incident we hereby request that no attempt is made to fix it.This is not the Hogarth who said "I would gladly loose you all to down one of them" This is a new and downright Impressive Thomas Hogarth.
We welcome this new Thomas Hogarth with open arms. And foresee many a victory under his command.
 Leutnant-Colonel Arquinsiel

A Fun game for my side. As soon as Hogarth dropped the Warhawk it sort of broke the Viper line. They just didn't have the firepower after that loss.
We did however see some interesting moments.
The Direwolfs attempt to use its TC to aim for the torsos on the Fafnir in an attempt to end it quicker.
Thankfully it only got one turn of this.

The Battlecobra proved far more useful than I expected. Those Er LL do make for and excellent sniper chassis.  Only suffering when it went "BIG RED BUTTON!" in the last turns of the game.

And yet again Kingfishers who why they are mean sons of guns. Takes such an aweful lot to put them down for good.

Mech of the match:
Hogarths
I would have to give it to the man himself. Two kills and 1 assists.
Vipers:
I would give it to the BlackLanner for that moment of madness running behind Hogarth.
But the viper may feel differently on this.

Arquinsiel

• Corporal
Re: HOGARTH VS Steel Vipers.
« Reply #1 on: 10 March 2011, 21:03:38 »
I'm a Lieutenant Colonel? Well that's a turn up for the books.

I feel like that game was a smidge too easy for us. We sort of just trundled forward and rolled dice until we hit them in the face.

markhall

• Lieutenant
  • "The Button's Stuck!"
« Reply #2 on: 10 March 2011, 21:14:07 »
I'm a Lieutenant Colonel? Well that's a turn up for the books.

I feel like that game was a smidge too easy for us. We sort of just trundled forward and rolled dice until we hit them in the face.
Quite you or I'll bust you down to Lieutenant Colonel sp fast it'll make your head spin.

Arquinsiel

• Corporal
« Reply #3 on: 10 March 2011, 22:17:11 »
Yes sir.

I am amused at commanding a heavy-class scout lance though.

Lorcan Nagle

• 75 tons of heavy metal mayhem
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #4 on: 11 March 2011, 02:32:25 »
Yes sir.

Nonsense, nothing in your lance was over 90 tons.
The moderator formerly known as the user formerly known as nenechan

Dahtac

• Private
« Reply #5 on: 11 March 2011, 04:00:58 »
What was that again 3/10 pristine mechs killed outright from headshots...and a very unlucky Kingfisher taking 3 Heavy Gauss hits to the centre torso...This was a very painful game :(

markhall

• Lieutenant
  • "The Button's Stuck!"
« Reply #6 on: 11 March 2011, 05:38:17 »
The Linebacker and Direwolf had both received a whole lot of fire before they got snuffed.

Yes sir.

Everyone needs good Recon.

Dahtac

• Private
« Reply #7 on: 11 March 2011, 07:19:39 »
Linebacker was a writeoff, but the Direwolf had far more fire left in him

Arquinsiel

• Corporal
« Reply #8 on: 12 March 2011, 10:49:06 »
As much as it pains me to say so, Keith is right. The Dire-Wolf had taken maybe 40 damage max prior to the headcap, the hill in front of it however.....
The Linebacker and Direwolf had both received a whole lot of fire before they got snuffed.

Everyone needs good Recon.
Weel I am good at Recon alright.

markhall

• Lieutenant
  • "The Button's Stuck!"
« Reply #9 on: 12 March 2011, 11:07:01 »
As much as it pains me to say so, Keith is right. The Dire-Wolf had taken maybe 40 damage max prior to the headcap, the hill in front of it however....
We completely slagged that hill.

Maybe next time we use some terrain destruction rules.

« Last Edit: 12 March 2011, 11:23:51 by markhall »

Trenchknife

• Sergeant
  • Combined Arms is Life and Death
« Reply #10 on: 12 March 2011, 14:07:30 »
You'll need a dropship landing and then taking off to reduce levels.  Either that or something like nukes.  IIRC they have the potential to reshape your battlefield.

Dahtac

• Private
« Reply #11 on: 12 March 2011, 20:48:25 »
We completely slagged that hill.

Maybe next time we use some terrain destruction rules.

I checked the Direwolf's sheet afterwards. He had taken about 20-25 points to each arm and that was it

markhall

• Lieutenant
  • "The Button's Stuck!"
« Reply #12 on: 13 March 2011, 04:47:41 »
I checked the Direwolf's sheet afterwards. He had taken about 20-25 points to each arm and that was it

See Totally on the ropes.

THOMAS HOGARTH!! Would never use Nukes on a  Lyran world.

Dahtac

• Private
« Reply #13 on: 13 March 2011, 05:07:27 »
Your Ma's a Lyran world

Freak

• Sergeant
« Reply #14 on: 13 March 2011, 09:38:45 »
You'll need a dropship landing and then taking off to reduce levels.  Either that or something like nukes.  IIRC they have the potential to reshape your battlefield.

No, Mark!
The only guarantee in life is that it ends.

markhall

• Lieutenant
  • "The Button's Stuck!"
« Reply #15 on: 13 March 2011, 10:22:52 »
Your Ma's a Lyran world

Isn't everyones Mother?

No, Mark!
I swear I'll only do it once

Arquinsiel

• Corporal
« Reply #16 on: 14 March 2011, 01:35:44 »
I told you I was good at Recon work, four days passed and I still remember how much damage I did.

Dahtac

• Private
« Reply #17 on: 14 March 2011, 03:37:19 »
Honestly you probably just remember Pete's face when you capped yet another of his perfectly fine mechs

Arquinsiel

• Corporal
« Reply #18 on: 14 March 2011, 17:30:52 »
I've seen that face far too often to forget it. My dice love Pete's sadface.

Register