Author Topic: (Answered) BA vs inferno kill randomization vs damage assigned and killed  (Read 337 times)

shopsmart

• Corporal
So 3 infernos kill one BA in a unit.  Had a situation where 9 infernos hit.  Randomization resulted in rolls of 2, 2, and 2...  Does that mean that 2nd trooper just "absorbs" the 2 other killsl like damage hits?  Or 9 infernos = 3 dead dead DEAD suits?

BA damage TW pg 219 says to randomly assign damage, with excess on damage hitting alive at the beggining of the turn troopers results in wasted damage... but infernos aren't damage, but randomly assign death TW 141-142.

I can see it going both ways.

If randomly assigned inferno hits kill outright 3 troopers, then what about troopers killed that round via damage?  Do they possibly "absorb" one of the inferno deaths coming?
« Last Edit: 08 January 2024, 11:33:16 by Hammer »

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
Note the rules for infernos on pg 141:

Infantry: After all inferno attacks against an infantry unit have been resolved for the turn, add together the total number of inferno missiles that struck the unit. Every missile that strikes a conventional infantry unit automatically eliminates three troopers; every three missiles that strike a battle armor unit automatically eliminate one randomly determined trooper (unless the unit mounts fire resistant armor; see Fire Resistant Armor, p. 228). In neither case is this further modified by terrain or infantry type.

Infernos don't care about hitting specific troopers - they hit the unit (Squad, Point, Level I). So nine infernos would kill three battle armor troopers, randomly selected. If a non-multiple of three infernos hit, the remainder are wasted (eg 4 hits would kill one trooper with the fourth hit doing nothing)
« Last Edit: 05 January 2024, 22:30:18 by Sartris »

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

shopsmart

• Corporal
Not quite answering but answering.  Still confused.  You say infernos don't care about what troopers they hit.  I get that.  I fully understand that the amount of infernos hits on the unit results in the number of dying troopers.  I am trying to figure out how many troopers die due to randomization and if an alive trooper at the beginning of the turn that died from damage also,may,etc absorb those kills.  Also awnser doesn't take into account damage.  Randomness is being applied.  Lets try again...  Also running on 3 hours of sleep...

Ex 1.
9 infernos hit.  Thus 3 BA are killed via randomness.
  A.  3 BA die regardless.  Reroll the "selected" troopers until appropriate dead =3 (thus 2, 2, and 2 rolled would result in 2 rerolls until ther are 3 dead troopers)
  B.  3 BA die, randomize per rules.  Thus 2, 2, and 2 results in only trooper #2 dead because of randomness and thus 2 wasted rolls.

Deeper depending on answer....

Do troopers that died from damage factor into this?

Ex 2.
9 infernos hit, 10 damage was assigned this turn that resulted in killing trooper 2 (alive at the beginning of turn)
 A.  3 BA die, randomize.  Regardless of damage in the end...  Three die in addition to damage kills.
 B.  3 BA die, randomize.  Apply deaths to those that were alive at the beginning of the turn.  Also following above answer.
 C.  Can't think of too tired...

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
Ex 1: A
Ex 2: A

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

Register