Author Topic: 3rd Provisional Subcap Naval Assault Star  (Read 2230 times)

Easy

• Warrant Officer
3rd Provisional Subcap Naval Assault Star
« on: 06 September 2018, 20:53:16 »
Representing the front line of many Clan Protectorate DropShip assault forces, the Isegrim Star is one of the most formidable. During the blockade and war actions following the Free Worlds League invasion of the Regulan Fiefs in 3148, Clan Protectorate naval forces engaged in several pitched battles over the skies of Tiber, Harmony, Regulus and the Homeworld of Marik.

In space combat, the Regulan naval squadrons included the first generation of pocket warships, the venerable Union and Mule conversions and supporting designs, grown long in the tooth, like the Vengeance, Achilles and Triumph. Against the Clan Isegrims, now flying on the front lines of nearly every major contemporary conflict, the reserves of the Regulan Navy threw a best effort, Interdictors.

Similar in tonnage, the Isegrim and Interdictor are hardly similar in battle value. Perhaps the Interdictor's saving grace is the trio of subcapital cannon and lasers that can reach out even as far as the Isegrim's default Pirahna missile launcher. Another point of armament is the Interdictor's multi-missile launcher which gives it the option of playing long or short game. Perhaps, not long enough. The Interdictor's fragile band of fire superiority could be quickly overwhelmed by the brutal effects of Advanced Tactical Missile fire from Isegrims at brawling range.

In a series of actions described in classified FWLN after action reports, the outcome of the skirmishes, assaults and counter assaults, between the Clan Isegrim and the Inner Sphere Interdictors followed a pattern all too familiar to Mechwarriors of the Clan Invasion Era.

Subcap Naval Stars of the Clan Protectorate, described in the actions detailed in this brief, accounted for twice their weight in Interdictor tonnage destroyed before the conflict was over.

« Last Edit: 07 September 2018, 17:55:22 by Easy »

Easy

• Warrant Officer
Re: 3rd Provisional Subcap Naval Assault Star
« Reply #1 on: 06 September 2018, 21:40:04 »
The 3rd Provisional, a scratch troubleshooter team, saw actions at Tiber and Marik and inflicted significant casualties on the main force of several Regulan assaults featuring Interdictors and Union "Pocket WarShips". Pocket WarShip of formidable prowess in their own age, unfortunately for the Regulan Fiefs, the Interdictors suffered nearly two to one losses when encountering the 3rd Provisional.

Total personnel for this Star, including gunners and 2 Stars of BattleArmor marines per ship, runs up to 100 fully accounted for, including technicians. As is typical for an assault DropShip with a crew of 25-30, the number of ship's gunners total more than any other ship's station.
« Last Edit: 09 September 2018, 19:50:20 by Easy »

Easy

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #2 on: 07 September 2018, 14:53:22 »
[25 MAR 48] Free Star News Service: "On The Pain Train: Spina Khanate Squadron Blunts Regulan Assault Wave."

"ARE WE NOT FREEWORLDERS, YET?"

Star Captain Wen Nova Cat appears to be upset. Before I go any further, let me reiterate that, for the newly reorganized Free Star News Service, the truth is a side. Many of the events described in this exclusive are based on facts for which conclusive supporting evidence is absent, or in some cases officially denied by both sides. So what are the facts?

In the last week of May of this year, *something* happened in the Sparta system, one jump away from the strictly forbidden Gibson Exclusion Zone declared on May 22nd. Patrolled by the Regulan Fiefs, for which the planet Gibson holds a morbid legacy, the Sparta system is the scene of a series of heroic actions by Star Captain Wen and his crew.

To hear the Spina Khanate tell it, two squadrons of Regulan Fief DropShips, the nominal patrol enforcing the Gibson Exclusion Zone, attempted to run the blockade as the Aimags redeployed in advance of the invasion. A freebirth group, Freebirth Traders, registered as a salvage unit to the Clan Protectorate world of Marik, was a part of this operation, recovering captured Fief assets left on the field.

The problem with this 'official' version of events is that it does not ring true.

This is a data capture spirited out of the Clan Protectorate data stream. It appears to show an ancient Robinson-class loading Blakist-era Triumph DropShips and Waneta fighter-mechs under fire from Regulan Union-class pocket warships. In detail, one can almost make out a fatally damaged Waneta crashing into the flight deck, under partial assist by a friendly HK1 Phoenix Hawk LAM. In the near field, a Caerleon boarding craft takes a direct hit on the nose by a Regulan Piranha missile.

Star Captain Wen Nova Cat has some reason to be upset. Certain details of the engagements at Sparta cast doubt on the official narrative. During my interview, Wen, speaking, supposedly in the hypothetical, seemed to have an undue level of emotional engagement, as though these were his real experiences.

Q: "That appears to be a direct hit by one of the Unions. Yet, the Caerleon is still maneuvering."
A: "The freebirths must have their due. Lt. Yi was killed by that impact, but his Executive Officer assumed command and fought on."

Q: "Doesn't it appear that this Waneta was destroyed while practically in the arms of the HK1? Their vector is deeper into the ship's flight deck."
A: "Those types of units are better suited to boarding actions. This rapidly became a free fire zone. We arrived just in time to save their asses."

Q: "And at this point, hypothetically, the nuke warning was sounded through the flotilla?"
A: "Aff. There is no sense in risking a capital asset to a strategic nuclear missile. The freebirth withdrew and we carried the fight. One of the Fief Interdictors was indeed carrying a nuke, but never fired it. Maybe the cargo was too valuable? Maybe we simply stopped them before they had the range? We will never know because that ship is now space dust."

Q: "Thanks to the timely intervention of the Spina Khanate?"
A: "And the Nova Cats! ARE WE NOT FREEWORLDERS, YET?"

This is Free Star News Service, reporting to you from the combat zone.
« Last Edit: 29 May 2019, 09:40:51 by Easy »

Easy

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #3 on: 09 September 2018, 15:32:07 »
[2 APR 48] Free Star News Service: "Into The Breach: With The 3rd Provisional At Regulus"

The hangar deck is venting into space. This is what they told me, but I wasn't sure what it meant. Isn't that what it's supposed to do? Didn't that happen already when the Caerleon launched? I didn't understand. About the only thing I did understand was that this was a do or die affair. It would be a minimum of 72 hours before the JumpDrive on our transport JumpShip would be recharged to take us back, and in that 72 hours, this battle would be decided.

I'm aboard the FWLS "Harbinger", an Isegrim-class DropShip at the zenith jump point of the Regulus system and I would like to disabuse my reader of the phrase "hotly contested". From my perspective, it's nothing short of utter chaos. From my perspective. In  truth, it's a mighty orchestra of JumpShips, DropShips and Aerospace Fighters directed by the fleet command officers aboard the Talismantia, flagship of the Beta Aimag fleet. 

Like a single cymbol, in an orchestra of thousands, is me, strapped into this G-couch. Barely able to breath under the weight of eight gravities of acceleration. I can barely lift my hand. I'm aware of heavy breathing and muttered oaths, the gunners, mostly, but occasionally a barked command from Star Captain Wen. a deck up, on the bridge.

Compared to the overwhelming thump and ratcheting industrial-scale noise from the Advanced Tactical Missile launchers mounted in the hull approximately seven meters from where I sit, strapped to a couch in an EVA excursion suit, it's too quiet to even hear. I'm too quiet to even hear.

Star Captain Wen offered me an light Elemental suit, but then I couldn't use my comms gear. In fact, I could have stayed on the JumpShip, or even outside the system, with Captain-General Nikol's flagship, the FWLS Lancelot. With many others of the press pool. But then I would not be able to tell you about the hanger deck, and what it meant that it was venting, or why that was important. Lancelot will be arriving soon.

Before the Captain-General will arrive, the jump point must be secured. For this privilege, this singular honor, crews like that of Harbinger will be laying down the law. With less than an hour in-system, and still shaking off a mild case of Jump Transit Disorientation, I'm grateful for the delicious mix of anti-nausea just delivered to me through the suit and couch. We're in for a ride.

The hangar on the back deck is venting, because we are launching our Small Craft.

There's no point in risking the Caeleron to a hit by one of the incoming White Shark missiles. The freebirth Caerleons of the Subcap Star will fly at a discrete distance until we have cleared beyond the first wave of anti-ship missiles under maximum thrust. After that, we face the Regulan Aerospace Fighters, until finally, their Assault DropShips and Subcaps. There's, really, nothing to do, for me, through all of this, but to observe and record.

IF we have to evacuate the ship for any reason, the crew follows our two stars of BattleArmor marines out the hangar deck hatch and the end of the tubeway. I'm looking at the hatch handles right now over the shoulder of a suited Nova Cat Elemental. I'm not looking forward to the possibility of floating in space for hours or days, but it might be a better bet than trying to cling to broken pieces of a space craft that will attract the attention of target-seeking missiles and over-exited Aerospace pilots and gunners.

As we pass through a screen of ECM coverage, I'm required to shut down my comms. Afterwards, we will be in the mix.

I feel confident. This crew flew with the Republic Navy and have been through three major engagements, already. Maybe our luck will hold.

This is Free Star News Service, reporting to you from the combat zone.
« Last Edit: 09 September 2018, 17:44:12 by Easy »

Easy

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #4 on: 09 September 2018, 19:21:24 »
Personalities:

Star Captain Wen Nova Cat
Isegrim-class Pocket Cruiser 'FWLS Harbinger'
CO: 3rd Provisional Subcapital Star
Piloting: 4, Gunnery: 3, Tactics: 3, Edge: 3

Like the other Nova Cat officers of the Harbinger, Wen is a former Republic Navy warrior, now claiming allegiance to the Clan Protectorate and, by extension, the entire Free Worlds League. Some could call Wen an open minded sort, who will accept good work from any crewmate under fire, and impatient with sectarian infighting.

Lt. Swan Tamera
Pilot: Caerleon Gunship
Piloting: 3, Gunnery: 4, Tactics: 2, Edge: 2

Lt. Tamera is a freebirth native of Avior who applied for service with the Clan Protectorate Provisionals after an invitation to attend an aerospace training program by a scholarship councilor. Already a veteran of the two-year blockade and interdiction campaign supported by the Clan Protectorate militia navy, Lt. Tamera was well-aware that the FWLN listened very closely to the advice of the Spina Khanate, thus providing a career path forward for naval officers seeking promotion in the newly revitalized FWL navy.
« Last Edit: 10 September 2018, 00:55:23 by Easy »