Author Topic: Tell me about the Stormcrow (Ryoken)  (Read 4701 times)

BATTLEMASTER

• Captain
  • Hot and Unbothered
Tell me about the Stormcrow (Ryoken)
« on: 14 November 2013, 06:46:21 »
I know a lot of players consider the Stormcrow to be the best medium Clan omnimech, if not the best Clan omnimech.  I'd like to know why.  Is it because of its heavy armor and 6/9 movement profile?

My big problem with the chassis is that its ES/FF crit placement restricts what it can carry, especially since I enjoy packing many beam weapons and missiles along with DHS.  It seems like the Stormcrow lends itself to heavy ballistic loadouts with its 10 base DHS.

I never select it for my forces very often, since I find the Nova to be just as mobile with the fixed jump jets, and despite having lower podspace, it has enough space to pack everything I want.  And I use those fixed JJs...  A lot!

So what are some other thoughts on what makes the Stormcrow so good in the eyes of others?
BATTLEMASTER
Trombone Player, Lego Enthusiast, Engineer
Clan Smoke Jaguar, Delta Galaxy ("The Cloud Rangers"), 4th Jaguar Dragoons
"You better stand back, I'm not sure how loud this thing can get!"
If you like Lego, you'll like my Lego battlemech projects!

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs
Re: Tell me about the Stormcrow (Ryoken)
« Reply #1 on: 14 November 2013, 06:52:05 »
A classic mech with a lot going for it thats for sure!  My personal favorite was the A Variant, it could do it all, sandblast at long range and at medium to close range a pair of SSRM6's and a quartet of medium pulse lasers made it verrrrrrry dangerious.  The C was also a lovely machine due to its two large hole punchers with a LB-10 and a LPL.
Ghost Bears: Cute and cuddly. Until you remember its a BLOODY BEAR!

Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs - https://thezhukovau.wordpress.com/

A. Lurker

• Major
« Reply #2 on: 14 November 2013, 07:35:30 »
The ease of use of the primary version may have had a bit to do with it: five Clan ER lasers (two large, three medium), no heat, no waiting, what's not to love? (Personally I'm not actually such a huge fan, but even I have to admit that's it still a pretty convenient little package to simply run 'n' gun around a battlefield with.)

If I had a criticism, it'd more likely be the torso armor distribution (notably on the sides -- yes, twenty-six points is the maximum you can put there, but split 17/9? How badly backstabbed can I get, again?). But even that's more a bit of a "meh" deal; it's not what I would've chosen, but I can live with it.

Not sure what exactly is supposed to be the problem with the ES/FF crit placement, unless it's in fact just that the 'Mech spends 14 slots on using both. Purely distribution-wise it maximizes available space in the arms (just where I want it on an Omni that might end up playing battle armor taxi) and still leaves six slots in either side torso; I've usually found that sufficient for my own purposes.

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs
« Reply #3 on: 14 November 2013, 07:39:21 »
Regarding the original artwork is it clear to anyone else that the Stormcrow was meant to mount SSRM-6's, those two big boxes with what looks like missile launchers on its upper torso fairly yoadle 'I am a Missile Launcher!'  Perhaps 4 x lasers (medium pulse?) and two SSRM 6's or something like that as an original idea, like the art for the Timberwolf and its LRM-15's and what look like PPC mounts in the arms.
Ghost Bears: Cute and cuddly. Until you remember its a BLOODY BEAR!

Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs - https://thezhukovau.wordpress.com/

cold1

• Major
  • Goon
« Reply #4 on: 14 November 2013, 08:10:46 »
I still contend the original omnis prime variants received some 11th hour changes.  Stormcrow art has missile racks, Gargoyle is sinked for PPC's, etc.

As for the Stormcrow, it is now the second best clan medium omni just behind the Septicemia.  It has the perfect mix of firepower, armor, and speed at 55 tons.  The chasis is balanced right and the canon configs are mostly good.

To the patient go the spoils

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #5 on: 14 November 2013, 09:53:24 »
The Stormcrow B is pretty nasty customer for close-in combat.  Ultra AC/20 and six ER Medium Lasers. I knew a woman who was part my merc group who happened to come across one and becomes commander's body guard.   She was litterly, leaves bodies on the floor (ground..sorry..) where ever she battled.

The 'Mech is flexable, more so than most. I guess likeable too. If you use one, you have so many canon choices for missions you won't be disappointed by the results.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Diablo48

• Major
« Reply #6 on: 14 November 2013, 19:51:18 »
It is a good design, but I have honestly never been all that impressed with it.  I would much rather take a Timber Wolf or Summoner if I want a cavalry machine, and the Viper is vastly superior for missions requiring more mobility with its incredible 8/12/8 movement curve.

View my design musings or request your own custom ride here.

BATTLEMASTER

• Captain
  • Hot and Unbothered
« Reply #7 on: 14 November 2013, 23:54:48 »
When I was talking about FF/ES crit placement, I just hate that the crits are more concentrated in the torso locations than anywhere else.    I wish the crits were more spread out, like on the Timber Wolf.

I played around with an empty Stormcrow chassis and came up with some neat configurations, including one with a UAC/10 with 3 tons of ammo, 2 heavy medium lasers, an ER large laser, and a TC.  It's a relatively BV-cheap configuration that has a targeting computer.

I just have to play around with it a bit more and see if I can't find something else evil I can do with it.
BATTLEMASTER
Trombone Player, Lego Enthusiast, Engineer
Clan Smoke Jaguar, Delta Galaxy ("The Cloud Rangers"), 4th Jaguar Dragoons
"You better stand back, I'm not sure how loud this thing can get!"
If you like Lego, you'll like my Lego battlemech projects!

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #8 on: 15 November 2013, 00:26:58 »
When I was talking about FF/ES crit placement, I just hate that the crits are more concentrated in the torso locations than anywhere else.    I wish the crits were more spread out, like on the Timber Wolf.

I played around with an empty Stormcrow chassis and came up with some neat configurations, including one with a UAC/10 with 3 tons of ammo, 2 heavy medium lasers, an ER large laser, and a TC.  It's a relatively BV-cheap configuration that has a targeting computer.

I just have to play around with it a bit more and see if I can't find something else evil I can do with it.

the ES/FF crits being in the torso have the advantage of pushing weapons out to the arms.. wider firing arcs, and you can carry Battlearmor without hindering combat ability as much.

Getz

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #9 on: 15 November 2013, 06:35:27 »
It has the most optimal combination of armour and pod capacity you can get for a 6/9 movement curve making the Stormcrow the strongman of your medium cavalry force.  It also works well as a backstop to a heavy scout force made up of Shadow Cats and other fast mediums.

The fact that all the configs are good and some are quite cheap Bv-wise is just gravy.

I fell out of favour with heaven somewhere, so I'm here for the hell of it now...

Diablo48

• Major
« Reply #10 on: 15 November 2013, 07:56:38 »
It has the most optimal combination of armour and pod capacity you can get for a 6/9 movement curve making the Stormcrow the strongman of your medium cavalry force.  It also works well as a backstop to a heavy scout force made up of Shadow Cats and other fast mediums.

The fact that all the configs are good and some are quite cheap Bv-wise is just gravy.

Actually, you get another half ton of combined weapons and armor at 60 tons and the armor thresholds are a lot better as well, although adding in Jump Jets is kind of a killer.

Getz

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #11 on: 15 November 2013, 09:05:23 »
Actually, you get another half ton of combined weapons and armor at 60 tons and the armor thresholds are a lot better as well, although adding in Jump Jets is kind of a killer.

...which, in my opinion, makes a 55 tonner the best possible weight for a 6/9 omnimech - although I admit I can't think of any cannon Stormcrow config that includes jump jets.

I fell out of favour with heaven somewhere, so I'm here for the hell of it now...

Diablo48

• Major
« Reply #12 on: 15 November 2013, 10:16:26 »
...which, in my opinion, makes a 55 tonner the best possible weight for a 6/9 omnimech - although I admit I can't think of any cannon Stormcrow config that includes jump jets.

Fair enough, and while I do wish that the Mad Dog had been 6/9/0 and the Stormcrow had been 6/9/6 to add more variety to the 3050 omnis without silly flaws, that is sort of besides the point here.

Register