Author Topic: Operation Revival Omnimech Review: Warhawk (IS Codename: Masakari)  (Read 18916 times)

BATTLEMASTER

• Captain
  • Hot and Unbothered
I am surprised there has not been an article about the Warhawk yet, so I guess I will make one!  This is my first battlemech article, but I felt the Warhawk needed to be covered and discussed somewhere!

The Warhawk was designed by Clan Smoke Jaguar engineers, and began production 2999, just in time for the invasion of the Inner Sphere, Operation Revival.  But that did not come to fruition.  Operation Revival didn't happen on time due to the warden stance of Clan Wolf and the Dragoon Compromise.  The Jaguars weren't happy about this, but they felt better after testing their new machine in trials against Clan Wolf.

Once Operation Revival began, the Draconis Combine MechWarriors who faced the omnimech code-named it "Masakari", after a type of Japanese medieval battle axe.  Indeed, the Warhawk does cut into its opponents like an axe.

As for the physical looks of the 'mech, it shares some parts with the Dire Wolf, such as the leg and pelvis assemblies and arm parts near the elbows.  This makes sense since the Jaguars won the design and production rights to the Dire Wolf and produced it before Clan Wolf, despite the fact Clan Wolf was the original chassis designer.  Perhaps the Jaguars redesigned the Dire Wolf so that it shared some parts with the Warhawk for ease of production and repairs.

Let's look at the capabilities of the chassis itself.  At combat load, the Warhawk has a mass of 85 tons.  At the core of the Warhawk is a General Systems 340 XL fusion power plant, giving the 'mech a top speed of around 65 kph, and providing the juice it needs for its weapons and targeting computer.  Surrounding this power plant are twenty double heatsinks, which allows the chassis to favor heat-intensive weapons, like energy weapons and heavy ACs. 

The bones are of the Huntress WH Standard type, and the armor is 13.5 tons of Forging X85 Ferro-Fibrous.  The armor coverage is near its maximum for what the chassis is capable of holding.  The Warhawk is able to shrug off a stream of Class 20 AC rounds to each forward location without breaching and leaving some armor to spare, and it can handle another full stream of such to the center torso, but the armor will be mostly bare by then.  Each rear location will melt away when touched by a Clan ER Large Laser.  But whoever gets back there will be in for a surprise since the Warhawk is capable of flipping its arms backwards in many of its standard pod configurations to attack backstabbers.

So how many tons of weapons and equipment can this chassis mount?  There is 32.5 tons of space left for weapons and equipment.  Most of the space for equipment is in the arms of the chassis, but there is a little room for weapons in the center torso.

Before I start talking about configurations, I want to call attention to the fact that every standard pod configuration for the Warhawk includes a targeting computer.  Although the targeting computer is not considered fixed equipment, it can be removed for more weapons or other equipment in custom pod configurations (Author's note: The fluff for the chassis states that the Jaguars built in a big, fixed motherboard for targeting computer modules, suggesting that the targeting computer is a fixed piece of equipment, but the actual Tech Manual rules imply that the targeting computer can never be treated as such).  But why would anyone want to do that?  The targeting computer is a useful piece of equipment, and I feel that it makes the Warhawk unique among omnimechs in that it really does use a targeting computer in every standard pod configuration.  I feel that it gives the chassis flavor.  I have left the targeting computer in the chassis in all of my custom pod configurations.  I find that the accuracy boost the targeting computer gives goes a long way during combat.

Now we're onto the standard pod configurations.  The Primary configuration sports four ER PPCs, two in each arm, and an arm-mounted LRM-10 with a single ton of ammunition.  There are only the standard 20 double heat sinks available for heat dissipation.  The smart way to use this configuration is to alternate fire like the Awesome AWS-8Q model.  Fire those ER PPCs in a 3-2-3-2 pattern, firing the LRM-10 in addition to firing the two PPCs in the pattern.  Three headcappers in a turn can hurt.  I consider the 4th ER PPC to be a spare, in case one gets knocked out in combat.  If the 'mech is nearly cored out, firing all four PPCs can be a fantastic last stand and light show for both you and your opponent, but hopefully for you.  The LRM-10 can be useful during a cooldown or for laying minefields with Thunder munitions.  Additionally, this configuration can flip its arms.

Next up is the A configuration.  Two ER Large Lasers and a Streak SRM-6 with a ton of ammunition occupy the left arm.  An LBX-AC/10 with a ton each of cluster and slug ammunition occupy the right arm.  A LRM-15 with a single ton of ammunition occupies the right torso.  The fixed heatsinks are all that's available for cooling this configuration, but they are more than adequate.  You can alpha strike and run all day long with this configuration, with some wiggle room for external heat sources and engine shielding damage.  The LBX-AC and LRMs provide for some good anti-aircraft fire, with clustering damage proving troublesome for VTOLs and jets.  The ER Large Lasers allow the 'mech to burn targets at range as it closes in.  This configuration cannot flip arms.

The B configuration mounts a gauss rifle with two tons of ammunition and an ER small laser in the left arm.  The right arms holds three ER medium lasers.  The right torso holds two SRM-6 launchers with five tons of ammunition.  The center torso holds a Narc missile beacon launcher with a single ton of ammunition, also mounted in the center torso.  Again, only the fixed heat sinks are available.  This configuration is more than capable of hurting targets, and is nearly immune to external heat sources and/or engine shielding damage due to the excess heat capacity.  The Narc beacons can help land more SRMs on a target, and the SRMs can spam inferno ammunition to overheat 'mechs and roast vehicles and infantry.  At the same time, that can be said to be an inefficiency of the configuration.  I think the SRMs could lose two tons of ammunition, and other beam weapons could be used in place of the gauss rifle to make use of the substantial standard heat capacity.  I also do not like the ammunition storage in the center torso.  That is begging to be nailed and detonated.

The C configuration contains a deadly mix of energy weapons.  Two large pulse lasers occupy the right arm, while two ER PPCs occupy the left arm.  A flamer is mounted in the center torso to discourage infantry from closing in.  An additional three double heatsinks are added to the fixed 20.  This allows the PPCs and pulse lasers to be fired all at once, but sustained fire can be maintained by leaving out either a PPC or a pulse laser in the next firing opportunity, depending on how fast the target is moving or how much armor you want to remove.  Bear in mind that this configuration cannot flip its arms.

The D configuration has two ER large lasers in the right torso, an Ultra AC/10 in the right arm with two tons of ammunition, and an ATM-9 in the left arm with three tons of ammunition, each ton holding a different type of missile.  An ER small laser is mounted in the center torso.  The fixed heat sinks match the heat buildup of firing all of the weapons and running at full speed.  When firing the Ultra AC at its highest rate in concert with the ER large lasers, the D configuration gives the Warhawk the firepower of a Star League-era Annihilator.  The ATM launcher also adds flexibility to the configuration, with ER munitions that can be fired with the ER large lasers, standard munitions for medium range combat, and HE ammunition for knife fighting range.  This Warhawk configuration is capable of arm flipping.

The E configuration is like a walking toaster.  A trio of plasma cannons are mounted in the left arm, with four tons of ammunition for the cannons.  A SRM-6 is also mounted in the left arm with one ton of ammunition.  A large pulse laser and an ER PPC are mounted in the right arm.  The plasma cannons are great for anti-vehicle and anti-infantry use, and can overheat enemy 'mechs.  I would use the SRMs with standard ammunition for seeking holes in the armor punched through by the ER PPC and large pulse laser.  The weapons fired all together will overheat the Warhawk's fixed heatsinks.  For firing selection, use the large pulse laser, ER PPC, and SRM-6 for more durable targets like 'mechs, and throw in a plasma cannon if you can.  For anti-vehicle and infantry use, use the large pulse laser and the plasma cannons, and maybe throw in the SRM-6.  This configuration allows for arm flipping.

The F configuration mounts an ER PPC in each arm.  In the left arm there is an LRM-20 with two tons of ammunition.  In the center torso, there is an LRM-10 with one ton of ammunition also located in the center torso.  In the right torso there is an Ultra AC/2 with one ton of ammunition.  This configuration finds its home at medium to long range, and it can fire all of its weapons and run with minimal heat buildup on the fixed heatsinks.  Punch holes with the ER PPCs at every opportunity, and use the missiles and plinkies to find those holes and do critical damage.  Again, the center torso is not the best place to store ammunition.  Again, the arms can flip backwards.

Configuration H is the last of the standard pod configurations.  Two heavy large lasers are mounted in the left arm, while two large pulse lasers and an LRM-10 with one ton of ammunition are mounted in the right arm.  Five extra heatsinks are added to the fixed 20 to control the heat buildup.  The firing pattern for the H configuration is similar to that of the C configuration, in which a heavy laser or a pulse laser should be dropped from each firing opportunity to allow for cooling depending on whether accuracy or hole punching is needed most.  The LRM-10 can also be used for cooldown firepower or for laying mine fields.  Arm flipping is possible with this configuration too.

A non-standard configuration for the Warhawk was fielded by Major Tara Lucas of Zeta Batallion of Wolf's Dragoons.  The configuration was based off the standard Primary Warhawk configuration, except that the LRM-10 was replaced with three more heatsinks.  The additional heatsinks allow the pilot to fire three ER PPCs with very little excess heat, with the fourth PPC acting as a spare or an extra hole puncher in case of an emergency, like in the Primary configuration.  The last half ton went to an ER small laser in the right torso (Author's note: This configuration is in MegaMek, and mentioned on Sarna.net as being from the BattleCorps story "Tales of the Jihad: The Last Day of Zeta").

Besides Major Lucas, other notable Warhawk pilots include Diana Pryde (who later gave the chassis up for a Nova), Jeremiah Rose of the Black Thorns Mercenary Unit, Ranna Kerensky, Theodore Kurita, and Vlad Ward.

Fighting against a Warhawk depends on the configuration.  If you are up against any of the energy weapon-heavy configurations, be sure to pack heat-generating weapons to slow the 'mech down and make weapon firing choices more difficult for its pilot.  If the configuration you're fighting against has a surplus of cooling capacity, you will have to outmaneuver it.  The 'mech only goes about 65 kph at most.  Be careful about getting behind it, because some of those configurations can flip arms.  Though all configurations have a targeting computer, fast light 'mechs like the Hussar and Fire Moth will create problems for the Warhawk, but pulse lasers in both the C and H configurations can prevent that kind of trouble.

I hope this article was informative and creates some discussion about one of my favorite omnimech chassis.  Like I said, I never see much discussion about the Warhawk on these boards, so here is its time to shine!

And by the way, happy holidays!
« Last Edit: 05 January 2014, 22:46:44 by BATTLEMASTER »
BATTLEMASTER
Trombone Player, Lego Enthusiast, Engineer
Clan Smoke Jaguar, Delta Galaxy ("The Cloud Rangers"), 4th Jaguar Dragoons
"You better stand back, I'm not sure how loud this thing can get!"
If you like Lego, you'll like my Lego battlemech projects!

Scotty

• Alpha Strike Guru by appointment to the FWLM
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
Re: Operation Revival Omnimech Review: Warhawk (IS Codename: Masakari)
« Reply #1 on: 24 December 2013, 23:19:52 »
For a first article, this one is pretty stellar. O0

I've never particularly liked the Masakari.  I have an intense dislike for mounting groups of same-type weapons where firing merely the one group significantly overheats the 'Mech, and the Prime and C (two of the most commonly fielded configurations that I ever see) are both riddled with that issue, while the B is rather over-supplied in SRM ammunition, though there's some great versatility there.  I think I'd rather have a second ton of NARC, if even bothering to keep that rather un-Clanlike weapon on the machine.

Then there's the E.  I have a soft spot for plasma that goes almost indescribably deep.  I'd never, ever run standard SRM ammunition, give me all of the infernos you can get, and this configuration will kill anything and everything non-'Mech on the field, and seriously piss off the first one of those you find.  The ER PPC and LPL are mostly afterthoughts, and useful depending on whether you need better numbers or a big hole punch to exploit the cluster damage you're going to be doing to anything and everything that doesn't have a gyro.

The F doesn't grab me with doubly mismatched LRM and ACs.  I'd prefer either more autocannon in place of the LRM, or more LRM in place of the autocannon.  Preferably more LRM, and a swap to LB-2X.  UAC-2s are the one autocannon I just plain cannot get behind, since you're doing a grand total of two more damage at range on a good hit, missing some range, and risking a jam every time.  The H grabs me even less with heavy lasers and heavy overheating (again).

You'll see me in a B or an E every single time, and then mostly for combined arms games, and I'd probably prefer a Hellbringer for the lulz.
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Kansas City players, or people who are just passing through the area, come join us at the Geekery just off Shawnee Mission Parkway for BattleTech!  Current days are Tuesdays in the afternoon and evening.  I can't make every single week, but odds are pretty good that somebody will be there.

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Fight for something or Die for nothing
    • The Steel-Raven at DeviantArt
« Reply #2 on: 24 December 2013, 23:36:43 »
I always liked the Warhawk for what ever reason. While the Prime can easily overheat, there really is no reason why you would need to fire that many headcappers at once unless you really screw up, get cornered and need to cut though the guy in front of you. 
Battletech Art and Commissions
http://steel-raven.deviantart.com

Savage Coyote

• CamoSpecs
  • Captain
  • 저는 미술 선생님 입니다.
« Reply #3 on: 24 December 2013, 23:50:23 »
The A and D are actually my favorites.  both in BV, cost, and effectiveness, they get the job done and avoid the BV drain and/or target priority of the Prime and C

Diablo48

• Major
« Reply #4 on: 25 December 2013, 00:17:35 »
I am not really a fan of this one.  The base chassis makes some minor mistakes that could be overcome with intelligent configurations, but all the canon designs make various boneheaded mistakes that leave me cringing.  It also does not help that there are no jumping configurations because the 85 ton frame is ideally suited for that and the standard TC makes it work even better.  A well done 4/6/4 (or 4/6/6) S configuration would be wonderful, but I highly doubt we will ever see one since the design is essentially dead at this point.

View my design musings or request your own custom ride here.

BATTLEMASTER

• Captain
  • Hot and Unbothered
« Reply #5 on: 25 December 2013, 00:19:51 »
For a first article, this one is pretty stellar. O0

Thank you, I aim to please :)  I learned a lot from other articles I've read, so that helped me decide which information I should include in this article.

I do like the way the 'mech looks.  Just something about its jutting, hooded center torso, and massive gun pod arms.  It looks like it has a beard below the center torso, but I imagine those are heatsink radiators.  I always liked how its forward cockpit windshield expanded outward from the bottom of the glass like some John Deere combine cabs.

I believe the F configuration was inspired by the stock configuration from MechWarrior 4, where Ultra AC/2s weren't that bad in-game due to their damage per second.  I imagine the Ultra AC/2 wouldn't be too bad using Solaris dueling rules.

The canon configurations I use the most are the Primary and C configurations.  I haven't used the A and E very much, but I do enjoy their punch for their BV.

I am not really a fan of this one.  The base chassis makes some minor mistakes that could be overcome with intelligent configurations, but all the canon designs make various boneheaded mistakes that leave me cringing.  It also does not help that there are no jumping configurations because the 85 ton frame is ideally suited for that and the standard TC makes it work even better.  A well done 4/6/4 (or 4/6/6) S configuration would be wonderful, but I highly doubt we will ever see one since the design is essentially dead at this point.

I did come up with a custom jumping configuration for the Warhawk.  It wasn't easy though since there's only room in the center torso and right torso for jump jets, and I must equip a targeting computer :)
« Last Edit: 25 December 2013, 00:22:26 by BATTLEMASTER »
BATTLEMASTER

Hellraiser

• Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
« Reply #6 on: 25 December 2013, 01:35:16 »
Just want to point out that while you say the TC is optional, the fluff from the TRO states that all the base components are fixed in it.  So while from a HMPro/SSW side it might seem to be not there, the fluff makes it seem as if the TC MUST be there in all configurations.

Aside from that bit, it was a good article, well done !

Early on I was a fan of the C like everyone else.  Then when BV came about & I saw the bargain deal that the A is compared to the C, well, I was hooked on that one too.  The D is basically the A redone w/ newer missiles but is also a BV steal.
The Prime only gets used as OpFor & the H has seen very limited use at my table as well.  None of the other stuff has been touched AFAIK in all the time's I've played.
3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #7 on: 25 December 2013, 12:20:38 »
Nice article, BattleMaster. I've always like the Warhawk.  I feel (after reading the TROs and your articles) when the designers conceived the design, they did't make perfect but scary as hell. I think its succeeds in that respect, Awesome would be challenged to keep up with this thing in combat.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

BATTLEMASTER

• Captain
  • Hot and Unbothered
« Reply #8 on: 25 December 2013, 21:39:48 »
Just want to point out that while you say the TC is optional, the fluff from the TRO states that all the base components are fixed in it.  So while from a HMPro/SSW side it might seem to be not there, the fluff makes it seem as if the TC MUST be there in all configurations.

Aside from that bit, it was a good article, well done !

Thank you.  I thought about including that bit initially, but elected not to since the Tech Manual rules imply that a targeting computer can't be fixed equipment.  But because of fluff, I have included a targeting computer in all of my custom Warhawk pod configurations.

Eh, I'll add that in :)
BATTLEMASTER

cold1

• Major
  • Goon
« Reply #9 on: 26 December 2013, 08:05:55 »
The prime is a good mech, you just have to know how to use it.

The A and D are steals for the BV and are both machines that are better in game than they look on paper.

I agree we need an S config that jumps, preferably with LPLs and Streak-6's

To the patient go the spoils

LastChanceCav

• Captain
  • Repossessing the dispossessed ...
« Reply #10 on: 26 December 2013, 09:31:27 »
One of my favorite clan mechs, likely due to my preference for 85 ton 4/6 assaults. I also think the E is one of the best Protomech hunters in the clan arsenal.

Cheers,
LCC
Last Chance Engineering - Bespoke Battlemechs for the refined gentleperson.

UnLimiTeD

• Captain
« Reply #11 on: 02 January 2014, 07:19:31 »
Great Article! O0
Your writeup of the D makes it sound like all it's weapons are on the right. Is that true, or do you mean "the other right"?
Savannah Masters are the Pringles of Battletech.
Ooo! OOOOOOO! That was a bad one!...and I liked it.

StCptMara

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Looking for new Adder skin boots
« Reply #12 on: 05 January 2014, 05:17:40 »
You know, I have always felt the one error on the C was: the Large Pulse in one arm, the ER PPCs on the other.
It always made more sense to have it each arm with an ER PPC and Large Pulse. That would mean that it could
arm-flip, and would have better symetry. I am rather not fond of asymetric pairs of weapons. That said, I have
always had good luck with Warhawks thanks to their speed(while not blinding fast, a 4/6 speed is very useful
in an assault 'mech, especially when hunting the plethora of 3/5 IS assaults out there...). Actually, as I think
about it, the Dire Wolf makes a great general "I am going to kill EVERYTHING!" Assault, while the Warhawk is
more of a head-hunter 'mech. Frankly, if I were an enemy star commander, and I heard that there was a
warhawk on the field AND that Zellbriggen had been dropped? That would be the time that I would be very
nervous. ESPECIALLY if I was facing a Jaguar star...
"Victory or Debt!"- The Battlecry of Mercenaries everywhere

"Greetings, Mechwarrior! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against---Oops, wrong universe" - Unknown SLDF Recruiter

Reality and Battletech go hand in hand like a drug induced hallucination and engineering a fusion reactor ;-)

BATTLEMASTER

• Captain
  • Hot and Unbothered
« Reply #13 on: 05 January 2014, 22:48:26 »
Great Article! O0
Your writeup of the D makes it sound like all it's weapons are on the right. Is that true, or do you mean "the other right"?

Thank you.  Good catch on that!  According to my information, the ATM-9 is actually mounted on "the other right" arm, better known as the left arm :)

You know, I have always felt the one error on the C was: the Large Pulse in one arm, the ER PPCs on the other.
It always made more sense to have it each arm with an ER PPC and Large Pulse. That would mean that it could
arm-flip, and would have better symetry.

I agree with this sentiment too with the reason that if an arm is shot off, you still have a large pulse laser to beat up faster units with, in addition to a head chopper.
« Last Edit: 05 January 2014, 22:50:44 by BATTLEMASTER »
BATTLEMASTER

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
  • Reimu sees what you have done.
« Reply #14 on: 05 January 2014, 23:37:56 »
Thank you.  Good catch on that!  According to my information, the ATM-9 is actually mounted on "the other right" arm, better known as the left arm :)
I want to joke "In what universe do two rights make a left?!"  Then I looked at the typical Star League steets that follow hex maps and realized...

...two rights do make a left.
Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Jadefalke Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr!

StCptMara

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Looking for new Adder skin boots
« Reply #15 on: 06 January 2014, 00:25:12 »
I want to joke "In what universe do two rights make a left?!"  Then I looked at the typical Star League steets that follow hex maps and realized...

...two rights do make a left.

Actually..that still requires three rights.
"Victory or Debt!"- The Battlecry of Mercenaries everywhere

"Greetings, Mechwarrior! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against---Oops, wrong universe" - Unknown SLDF Recruiter

Reality and Battletech go hand in hand like a drug induced hallucination and engineering a fusion reactor ;-)

SCC

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #16 on: 06 January 2014, 04:09:38 »
Unless there's something preventing it, as far as the rules a concerned you can fixed mount a TarComp (And I can't think of anything that would prevent you, the problems normally the other way around, things that can only be fixed mounted)

That said a TarComp's weight and crits depend upon the rest of the 'Mechs warload and are thus variable, making things interesting. That said, kudos the the 'Mechs original designer for making it work

BATTLEMASTER

• Captain
  • Hot and Unbothered
« Reply #17 on: 08 January 2014, 21:44:22 »
SCC, you just made me wonder who designed the sixteen original Clan omnimechs.  I have an idea of who designed units for the recent TROs, but not for the original TRO: 3050.
BATTLEMASTER

Trajan Helmer

• Lieutenant
  • Better and calmer than you
« Reply #18 on: 10 January 2014, 10:52:29 »
Love me some Warhawk. Thanks for a great write-up!
Anyone can redesign the Hellbringer's base chassis.  Real men work only with the pod loadout- Natasha K (forum poster)

Do not taunt Happy Fun Aegis. http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,42045.msg968574.html#msg968574

wantec

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
« Reply #19 on: 10 January 2014, 13:51:46 »
SCC, you just made me wonder who designed the sixteen original Clan omnimechs.  I have an idea of who designed units for the recent TROs, but not for the original TRO: 3050.
Firemoth - Prototype stage Cloud Cobra, final version Ghost Bear
Mist Lynx - Smoke Jaguar
Kit Fox - Cloud Cobra
Adder - Star Adder
Viper - Fire Mandrill
Ice Ferret - Ice Hellion (though most of the variants in TRO3050 are Wolf designed, original name "Wolf Hunter")
Nova - Hell's Horses
Stormcrow - Prototype stage Hell's Horses, final version Snow Raven
Mad Dog - Smoke Jaguar
Hellbringer - Hell's Horses
Summoner - Jade Falcon
Mad Cat - Wolf
Gargoyle - Wolf
Warhawk - Smoke Jaguar
Executioner - design stage Burrock, final version Ghost Bear
Dire Wolf - design stage Wolf, final version Smoke Jaguar
BEN ROME YOU MAGNIFICENT BASTARD, I READ YOUR BOOK!

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #20 on: 10 January 2014, 13:57:39 »
i think he means which FASA staffer's..  :)

LastChanceCav

• Captain
  • Repossessing the dispossessed ...
« Reply #21 on: 10 January 2014, 16:32:56 »
Thanks for the nice summary wantec, I never realized how prolific the Smoke Jaguars were in terms of mech design.

Cheers,
LCC
Last Chance Engineering - Bespoke Battlemechs for the refined gentleperson.

Diablo48

• Major
« Reply #22 on: 10 January 2014, 17:15:28 »
Thanks for the nice summary wantec, I never realized how prolific the Smoke Jaguars were in terms of mech design.

Cheers,
LCC

Now that you mention it, that does seem odd.  I would have expected a more technically inclined clan like the Coyotes to have been more prolific in design and the more militant Jaguars to have acquired more of their manufacturing and equipment through trials.

View my design musings or request your own custom ride here.

Prince of Darkness

• Lieutenant
« Reply #23 on: 10 January 2014, 18:02:14 »
Now that you mention it, that does seem odd.  I would have expected a more technically inclined clan like the Coyotes to have been more prolific in design and the more militant Jaguars to have acquired more of their manufacturing and equipment through trials.

Yeah; especially the Hellbringer, which I thought was a prolifically used design of theirs.
Cowdragon:
I'm going to type up your response, print it, fold it in half, and look at it like a I would a centerfold. THAT's how sexy your answer was.

wantec

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
« Reply #24 on: 11 January 2014, 23:41:33 »

Cheers,
LCC
A lot of the Smoke Jaguar designs were more recent ones. Before the Dragoon Compromise stalled things, the Jaguars (and probably some other clans) were working on building up their mech forces with new, better designs and it shows in TRO3050.

Savage Coyote

• CamoSpecs
  • Captain
  • 저는 미술 선생님 입니다.
« Reply #25 on: 11 January 2014, 23:47:01 »

Apparently the 'toyotes just sat around remembering the "good ol' days" after they did the Coyotle and Lupus. 

wantec

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
« Reply #26 on: 13 January 2014, 07:59:10 »
Apparently the 'toyotes just sat around remembering the "good ol' days" after they did the Coyotle and Lupus.
The 'Yotes problem seemed to be more that their scientists were too busy building The Society to focus on building weapons for the warriors. Although when the time came, they cranked out the ATM, Savage Coyote, Canis, Rabid Coyote in quicker fashion.

Savage Coyote

• CamoSpecs
  • Captain
  • 저는 미술 선생님 입니다.
« Reply #27 on: 13 January 2014, 08:06:15 »
The 'Yotes problem seemed to be more that their scientists were too busy building The Society to focus on building weapons for the warriors. Although when the time came, they cranked out the ATM, Savage Coyote, Canis, Rabid Coyote in quicker fashion.

*hides his Society units*

I'm completely fine with that   ;D

cold1

• Major
  • Goon
« Reply #28 on: 13 January 2014, 08:11:08 »
More shocking that the Sharks didn't design one.  I guess at that stage they were still just middle men.

To the patient go the spoils

wantec

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
« Reply #29 on: 13 January 2014, 15:14:42 »
It's all about timing. The Sharks (and Falcons, and Wolves, and others) had designs in the pipeline, some of which showed up right before Tukayyid (Piranha, Grendel), but weren't widespread in touman at the start of the Invasion. Remember, at the time, the Clans were still operating under the Dragoon Compromise, they didn't have time to prepare for the Invasion. Most of the common units in the invasion had been designed and built around the time of the Dragoon Compromise. When nothing happened in the first 5-10 years after, most clans gave up their rush to get new designs completed and returned to their normal development and production schedules.

Register