Author Topic: 3025 era match-up: Goliath vs Griffin  (Read 10384 times)

Kit deSummersville

• Precentor of Lies
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • The epicness continues!
    • Insights and Complaints on Twitter
Re: 3025 era match-up: Goliath vs Griffin
« Reply #30 on: 24 May 2016, 12:15:46 »
No, it's a Goliath, not a Balius.
Looking for an official answer? Check the Catalyst Interaction Forums.

Freelancer for hire, not an official CGL or IMR representative.

Everyone else's job is easy, so tell them how to do it, everyone loves that!

Millard Fillmore's favorite BattleTech writer.

Nahuris

• Captain
« Reply #31 on: 24 May 2016, 16:35:29 »

Hey, I just bought a large steel bat, please, let me get in one or two hits.......

Nahuris
"A friend will calm you down when you are angry, but a BEST friend will skip along beside you with a baseball bat singing "someone's gonna get it."

"If we are ever in a situation, where I am the voice of reason, we are in a very bad situation."

Black_Knyght

• Captain
  • Nisi mors certum est in bello
« Reply #32 on: 24 June 2016, 00:52:17 »
So there have been a number of comments on what the Goliath SHOULD have done, but what about the Griffin?

If YOU were the Griffin pilot, and knew what the Goliath pilot should be expected to do (as repeatedly commented above), and knew that you were out-classed from the starting gate by a mech with a better BV, what would you do to beat it?

What tactics would you use with the Griffin to beat an opponent who will likely just back into a corner and wait for you? Could you beat the Goliath if it did this?

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Fight for something or Die for nothing
    • The Steel-Raven at DeviantArt
« Reply #33 on: 24 June 2016, 12:14:39 »
... are we going to bring this up once a month?

OK, everyone who disagreed with how the example matched play out, run your own match and tell everyone how it turns out. And I mean a actual match, no Megamech bot on easy.

Battletech Art and Commissions
http://steel-raven.deviantart.com

Kit deSummersville

• Precentor of Lies
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • The epicness continues!
    • Insights and Complaints on Twitter
« Reply #34 on: 24 June 2016, 14:46:30 »
If you're the Griffin, you have to use your advantages. Attack on the sides and retreat if you lose initiative. It's going to be a boring game, but only move in when you have the advantage. If he backs into a corner, use mobility to dash in and out, keeping the modifiers as high as possible. Outside of the machine guns you have the same ranged damage potential as the Goliath, so it's your movement vs. his armor.
Looking for an official answer? Check the Catalyst Interaction Forums.

Freelancer for hire, not an official CGL or IMR representative.

Everyone else's job is easy, so tell them how to do it, everyone loves that!

Millard Fillmore's favorite BattleTech writer.

SCC

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #35 on: 24 June 2016, 15:36:07 »
OK, I've got an older set of rules around here somewhere where Quads, or more precisely their altered stats, are optional, how does the situation change if the Goliath is a bi-ped?

Black_Knyght

• Captain
  • Nisi mors certum est in bello
« Reply #36 on: 25 June 2016, 12:37:06 »
... are we going to bring this up once a month?

OK, everyone who disagreed with how the example matched play out, run your own match and tell everyone how it turns out. And I mean a actual match, no Megamech bot on easy.

Sorry, didn't realize this would be a sore subject. I was just legitimately curious how the pro-like players here might have handled the inferior position of running the Griffin. It's easy to say what the Goliath should've done, but the Griffin presented the need for a more interesting set of tactics.

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #37 on: 25 June 2016, 19:37:00 »

Sorry, didn't realize this would be a sore subject. I was just legitimately curious how the pro-like players here might have handled the inferior position of running the Griffin. It's easy to say what the Goliath should've done, but the Griffin presented the need for a more interesting set of tactics.

Not really sore (sorry if I came off that way) I just don't want this to drag out because of one match. No sense questioning the results of one game when it's the scenario it self that was the topic to begin with.

AndyJ

• Recruit
« Reply #38 on: 27 June 2016, 01:23:10 »
Questions:

1. What if the Griffin went straight in from the side arc (probably using a jump) and straight out punched the Goliath twice a round if it wins initiative, and stay at the below LRM minimum but inside PPC range band otherwise?

2. Can the Goliath kick something that is not in its front or rear arcs?

Hellraiser

• Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
« Reply #39 on: 03 July 2016, 23:15:41 »
How do you place yourself at that perfect range when the Goliath moves after you?

This is the Issue. 

The Griffin MUST win Initiative to be able to hit w/o getting hit back.

It also NEEDS wooded terrain to make it harder to hit because if the Goliath can get close to hit we are talking a mean kick. 

Otherwise just walking to a perfect 6 hexes & Alpha Striking for more Damage & Less Overheat than the Griffin can dream of having.

Ideally the Goliath should avoid all trees & instead find a Level-1 hill in the open.  Put it between the Griffin & himself & watch as all 4 legs are in cover.
3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #40 on: 04 July 2016, 02:45:10 »
I don't recall anyone one saying that the Goliath did not have a advantage, it' has a 25 ton advantage.

YingJanshi

• Major
  • Switch Friend Code: SW-4326-4622-8514
« Reply #41 on: 04 July 2016, 16:32:30 »
Can't really comment without running it myself (,lack of another player precludes that at the moment, but I will say one thing about the Goliath: it has a serious handicap in that it cannot torso twist, but that's slightly alleviated by the fact that it canmove diagonally without facing changes. Sure, it doesn't make up for no torso twist, but used smartly it can be quite a help.
Also to answer a question above, yes, quads can kick directly behind them.

But in the end, I'd still have to give it to the Griffin: its marginal advantage in speed and maneuverability of the JJ, gives it a bit more flexibility than the Goliath possesses. It would take a patient player, but I'd say 2 out of 3 games would go to the Griffin.

Initiate of the Order of Valhalla

(HBS: Backer #4,960)
(Clan Invasion: Backer #314)
(Mercenaries: Backer #6,017)

Register