Author Topic: What movies are we watching: B-Movie Blitz  (Read 158427 times)

Dubble_g

• Lieutenant
  • My hovercraft is full of eels
Re: What movies are we watching: B-Movie Blitz
« Reply #1380 on: 16 August 2020, 03:30:44 »
Caught the new Netflix movie, Project Power (Jamie Foxx, Joseph-Gordon-Samuel-Johnson-Lyle-Levitt) a quasi-superhero actioner about black hats using unsuspecting folks in New Orleans to test a drug that gives you a random superpower for 5 minutes--might be cool, like super-strength or invulnerability, might suck, like freezing you to death or making your insides outsides.

Solid 4/10. Not as fun as Expendables, but better at the character stuff than Old Guard, miles better than Titan or Mute.   
Author, "Inverted" (Shrapnel #4), "Undefeated" (#10), "Reversal of Fortunes" (#13) and "The Alexandria Job" (#15)

Ruger

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #1381 on: 17 August 2020, 19:10:20 »
Just got done watching a classic:

Smokey and the Bandit

I had forgotten how much fun that movie is.

Ruger
"If someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Malcolm Reynolds, Firefly

"Who I am is where I stand. Where I stand is where I fall...Stand with me." - The Doctor, The Doctor Falls, Doctor Who

elf25s

• Major
« Reply #1382 on: 17 August 2020, 23:04:59 »
Just got done watching a classic:

Smokey and the Bandit

I had forgotten how much fun that movie is.

Ruger
and dont forget cannon ball
you sure cannot out run death...but sure as hell you can make that bastard work for it!

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1383 on: 18 August 2020, 00:42:02 »
Talking of the cannonball run, i watched a similar film, the gumball rally..  It didn't hold a torch to cannonball run...
It's not who you kill, but how they die!
You can't shoot what you can't see.
You can not dodge it if you don't know it's coming.

elf25s

• Major
« Reply #1384 on: 18 August 2020, 09:12:35 »
Talking of the cannonball run, i watched a similar film, the gumball rally..  It didn't hold a torch to cannonball run...
true but keep in mind it was earlier  than cannonball...but i bet you missed some one in there...some one witha scarf...and shades...that had played best gomez addams
it alone made it worth watching
you sure cannot out run death...but sure as hell you can make that bastard work for it!

idea weenie

• Major
« Reply #1385 on: 18 August 2020, 19:27:40 »
For another fun race, try The Great Race from 1965.

At the time it set a record for largest pie fight - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SDJQ7zn3-2g  (Count how many times the lead got hit by pies in the scene)

elf25s

• Major
« Reply #1386 on: 18 August 2020, 21:09:26 »
For another fun race, try The Great Race from 1965.

At the time it set a record for largest pie fight - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SDJQ7zn3-2g  (Count how many times the lead got hit by pies in the scene)
lol i watched this morning

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1387 on: 19 August 2020, 01:15:50 »
true but keep in mind it was earlier  than cannonball...but i bet you missed some one in there...some one witha scarf...and shades...that had played best gomez addams
it alone made it worth watching

Actually< Raoul Julia being in it, was one of the biggest reasons i bothered reserving it to watch...

elf25s

• Major
« Reply #1388 on: 19 August 2020, 12:09:22 »
b grade tv show cute funny psych
stories are to predictable but main characters little quirks and over top acting are some what funny

elf25s

• Major
« Reply #1389 on: 23 August 2020, 23:21:24 »
bluethunder
i know old still fun to watch

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1390 on: 24 August 2020, 01:17:16 »
I've often wondered, if they had blue thunder face off against airwolf, which would win?

elf25s

• Major
« Reply #1391 on: 24 August 2020, 11:53:36 »
I've often wondered, if they had blue thunder face off against airwolf, which would win?
i think i started that thread back in 2003 on what used to be spymac forums..thing went for about 53 pages over a year
it was brutal...i dont ever want to start that again...

PsihoKekec

• Captain
  • Your spleen, give it to me!
« Reply #1392 on: 24 August 2020, 12:10:12 »
Ah yes, the vs. threads, not even once.
Shoot first, laugh later.

elf25s

• Major
« Reply #1393 on: 24 August 2020, 13:42:16 »
Ah yes, the vs. threads, not even once.
yah i learned my lesson but not before starting few arguments on knight rider vs airwolf...
i was young...i was foolish and i relished that with cup of tea in hand

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1394 on: 24 August 2020, 14:29:19 »
yah i learned my lesson but not before starting few arguments on knight rider vs airwolf...
i was young...i was foolish and i relished that with cup of tea in hand

I'd take KITT over airwolf..  Hasslehoff over Jan michael vincint.

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #1395 on: 24 August 2020, 20:59:45 »
Just watched The Quick and the Dead.  Definitely one of Gene Hackman's finest roles, even if he did deserve to get shot in the end.
Playing Guitar On My YouTube Channel:
Current cover tune: "The Wind Cries Mary" (by Jimi Hendrix)
https://youtu.be/m6a8wZiCsjM?si=0w7tVOgk7yylNv6a

"Thou shalt not create a machine in the image of the human mind." ~ The Orange Catholic Bible, Dune, Frank Herbert

elf25s

• Major
« Reply #1396 on: 24 August 2020, 22:00:00 »
Just watched The Quick and the Dead.  Definitely one of Gene Hackman's finest roles, even if he did deserve to get shot in the end.
yes and i still loved him as a blind hermit in young frankentein

grimlock1

• Captain
« Reply #1397 on: 25 August 2020, 09:10:33 »
Just finished Ford v Ferrari.  It has me curious to do some more serious reading to see what they "dramatized."
One thing has been bugging me.  There was a car in the background of the Daytona sequence.  It had a very tall, U-shaped spoiler.  I can't remember the name of car and it's driving me nuts.  It was the basis for the reigning champ in Pixar's Cars.  I watched an entire episode about this car on the History channel one time, so it's really bugging me. 
I'm rarely right... Except when I am.  ---  Idle question.  What is the BV2 of dread?
Apollo's Law- if it needs Clan tech to make it useable, It doesn't deserve those resources in the first place.
Sure it isn't the most practical 'mech ever designed, but it's a hundred ton axe-murderer. If loving that is wrong I don't wanna be right.

elf25s

• Major
« Reply #1398 on: 25 August 2020, 21:50:55 »
ok guilty pleasure live action kikis delivery service...

Nightlord01

• Lieutenant
« Reply #1399 on: 27 August 2020, 05:01:09 »
Just finished Ford v Ferrari.  It has me curious to do some more serious reading to see what they "dramatized."
One thing has been bugging me.  There was a car in the background of the Daytona sequence.  It had a very tall, U-shaped spoiler.  I can't remember the name of car and it's driving me nuts.  It was the basis for the reigning champ in Pixar's Cars.  I watched an entire episode about this car on the History channel one time, so it's really bugging me.

1970 Plymouth Superbird :-)

Mecha82

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Some things never change
« Reply #1400 on: 28 August 2020, 17:00:12 »
Ant-Man & The Wasp

It was one of two Endgame MCU movies that has been released that I hadn't seen before with other one being Spider-Man: Homecoming. It was fun just like all other MCU movies. Over all I am optimistic about future of MCU considering that they have made fun enjoyable movies and so far there hasn't been any bad ones so I am eager to see what they put out next after Black Widow. 
Star Captain John Malthus, Kappa Galaxy, Clan Jade Falcon 
Star Captain Johannes Bekker, Delta Galaxy, Clan Ghost Bear 
Captain John Bailey, 1st Avalon Hussars, Federated Suns  
Tai-i Jiro Takahashi, 2nd Legion of Vega, Draconis Combine

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • Need a hand?
« Reply #1401 on: 28 August 2020, 23:46:28 »
Unfortunately, Chadwick Boseman's sudden death means that no matter what they do, every scene with Black Panther in it from now on is going to be a lot sadder.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

elf25s

• Major
« Reply #1402 on: 29 August 2020, 12:09:32 »
Unfortunately, Chadwick Boseman's sudden death means that no matter what they do, every scene with Black Panther in it from now on is going to be a lot sadder.
i would not worry about it disney has it all under control after all the cgi was excellent in last star wars ....riiiiiiight? riiiiight?

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #1403 on: 29 August 2020, 13:34:47 »
Random movie on old UHS Channel, Krull (1983).

Woo man, was that interesting flash from the past. Semi-stale but still interesting film.
Pretty, but story so-so.

Still, love the weapons, cinematic, and fly Clydesdale with flames as they rode.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Mecha82

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Some things never change
« Reply #1404 on: 29 August 2020, 13:58:32 »
Ah yes, Krull. Nearly forgotten fantasy movie from 80's. I should watch it some day as I only know it trough YT videos about it.
Star Captain John Malthus, Kappa Galaxy, Clan Jade Falcon 
Star Captain Johannes Bekker, Delta Galaxy, Clan Ghost Bear 
Captain John Bailey, 1st Avalon Hussars, Federated Suns  
Tai-i Jiro Takahashi, 2nd Legion of Vega, Draconis Combine

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1405 on: 29 August 2020, 15:11:53 »
I used to love that too, but the animation/graphics are WAY SUB PAR these days...

elf25s

• Major
« Reply #1406 on: 29 August 2020, 15:20:44 »
bill and ted face the music
surprisingly it had its moments

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1407 on: 30 August 2020, 01:21:20 »
I liked the first bill and ted, when it came out, but not the 2nd..  These days, maybe its cause i am in my 40s, but i just can't stand either..  BUT i will still give the new one a whirl...

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • Need a hand?
« Reply #1408 on: 30 August 2020, 01:38:44 »
the second Bill and Ted movie was always considered to be significantly inferior to the original.  Barring a few scenes.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Ruger

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #1409 on: 30 August 2020, 15:09:12 »
Went and saw New Mutants. Despite what the critics say (big surprise), I highly enjoyed the film. It does play fast and loose with the Demon Bear storyline, but I think it’s well worth seeing if you’re a fan of the comics (which I have been as I started collecting the New Mutants with issue 1 of the original run, and got much of that series before it became X-Force).

Ruger
"If someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Malcolm Reynolds, Firefly

"Who I am is where I stand. Where I stand is where I fall...Stand with me." - The Doctor, The Doctor Falls, Doctor Who

Register