Author Topic: Optimized Firing Solutions  (Read 914 times)

SandMan

• Master Sergeant
  • For Davion!
Optimized Firing Solutions
« on: 03 August 2017, 08:37:58 »
Hi all,

I always use the Notes section of my record sheets to lay out some optimized firing solutions to speed up my decision-making in-game.  Particularly useful on units with TSM, as it's very important to manage your heat level.  Something like the attached Notes.png for a unit with 2 ERPPCs, 1 RAC/5, 2 ERMLs, and the ability to sink 32 heat.

So if I need to generate 9 heat, I look at the top row and balance how far I want to move with how much I want to spin up the RAC.  Obviously, you could fill an entire page with these tables, but I decided 0, 4 and 9 heat were my most common targets.  I use a Python script to generate these tables now, but I used to do it by hand.  Curious if anyone else does anything similar, or needs their solutions double-checked by the automated method.  Record sheet attached for the full picture reference.

Edit: switched out the pdf for a png, so you don't have to download the file to view it.
« Last Edit: 03 August 2017, 08:40:39 by SandMan »

mbear

• Stood Far Back When The Gravitas Was Handed Out
  • Major
    • Tower of Jade
Re: Optimized Firing Solutions
« Reply #1 on: 04 August 2017, 08:49:38 »
I don't but that's a cool idea. What software made the record sheet?
Be the Loremaster:

Battletech transport rules take a very feline approach to moving troops in a combat zone: If they fits, they ships.

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your BT experience. Now what? (Thanks Sartis!)

Tymers Realm

• Lieutenant
« Reply #2 on: 04 August 2017, 09:05:42 »
It looks like it's customized, but you can do something similar in SSW.

SandMan

• Master Sergeant
  • For Davion!
« Reply #3 on: 04 August 2017, 12:53:28 »
As Tymers Realm noted, it's custom.  I started with the record sheet in TacOps, then I think I pulled a lot of the side tables from SSW.  'Mech outline I drew myself.  It's all in MS Word, actually, text boxes on top of pictures =D

Sigil

• Lieutenant
« Reply #4 on: 06 August 2017, 06:35:11 »
As Tymers Realm noted, it's custom.  I started with the record sheet in TacOps, then I think I pulled a lot of the side tables from SSW.  'Mech outline I drew myself.  It's all in MS Word, actually, text boxes on top of pictures =D
Don't suppose you'd be willing to share the Word .docx of the record sheet?  I've been looking for a record sheet I could easily heavily customize.

The TT games I play, which never scale beyond lance vs lance, are small enough that I haven't really needed to develop any aids to speed play.  That said, if you play with the ability to turn heat sinks off and on, maintaining the magic heat level required for TSM is all but guaranteed :)

SandMan

• Master Sergeant
  • For Davion!
« Reply #5 on: 06 August 2017, 21:11:51 »
The Word doc is way too big for the attachment limits here (3.7 Mb) because of the images.  Do you want to PM me your email address and I'll send it to you?

The fiddly part is going to be the armor diagram.  Easiest solution would be to generate one in MMLab and paste it in.  I was a bit silly as I play a lot with this single design and wanted to split the armor into three groups (for 'green' 'yellow' and 'red' armor status), so I manually jiggered all the armor pips into place in the image.

The trouble with the heat sink tuning is you've always got to reach an odd heat, and double heat sinks make that harder (though turning them off can still help, for sure).  My use of an RAC for heat tuning is a bit unconventional, and certainly not foolproof...  But I've also got firing solutions to get me to my targets even if it jams, so there's that.