Author Topic: Custom Starmaps  (Read 1015 times)

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
Custom Starmaps
« on: 22 June 2017, 18:56:52 »
Sorry if this is the wrong sub-forum to bring it up in  but...

I recall there were a few people who were able to create custom starmaps based on requests. I just don't remember who they were, or how to get into contact with them. Any help would be appreciated

Thanks in advance
Author of BattleCorps stories Grand Theft Agro and Zero Signal

How to Draw MegaMek Icons the Deadborder Way. Over 9000 so far. Determination or madness?

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
Re: Custom Starmaps
« Reply #1 on: 22 June 2017, 18:58:47 »
Davout73 hooked me up with mine...

Alexander Knight

• Peditum Generalis
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
  • O-R-E-O
« Reply #2 on: 23 June 2017, 00:33:33 »
I can do it to a degree.  It'll be a hexmap format...

assaultdoor

• Sergeant
« Reply #3 on: 23 June 2017, 01:16:58 »
How custom? I've got a perl script that uses the systems_by_era spreadsheet to make a LaTeX file that turns into a big ol' PDF map that has limited data (faction name, march/province/PDZ name) in tool tips, planets color coded by faction, and 1- and 2- jump circles that you can turn on or off by clicking the planet. It doesn't have factional borders or anything like that.

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #4 on: 24 June 2017, 22:58:35 »
Basically, what I'm looking for is a map that will show the Raven Alliance and the Outworlds Wastes circa 3130, with the worlds marked. Obviously we don't know which of the Wastes worlds are still inhabited, but I figured I could just go with the broad pool of 'worlds that are in the wastes area' and work down from there
Author of BattleCorps stories Grand Theft Agro and Zero Signal

How to Draw MegaMek Icons the Deadborder Way. Over 9000 so far. Determination or madness?

assaultdoor

• Sergeant
« Reply #5 on: 25 June 2017, 13:58:56 »
How's this? Abandoned/overlooked worlds are marked with the succession war in which they were last marked as being inhabited. Mousing over a world's name identifies the faction, although only RA, I for independent, A for abandoned, and IE for Interstellar Expeditions. Clicking on a world shows circles with a radius of 30 and 60 light years.

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • It's a gator with a nuke, whats the problem.
« Reply #6 on: 25 June 2017, 14:22:33 »
I would love to see one. Be a neat addition.
Walking the fine line between sarcasm and being a smart-ass

Meow Liao

• Warrant Officer
  • The PPC Kitty
« Reply #7 on: 25 June 2017, 14:29:59 »
Check out https://www.ourbattletech.com/.  My c:/battletech/maps folder has a nice collection of maps from them, including one called OBT 3130.  Sounds like what you might want.

Meow Liao

Have some plum wine with that PPC.

assaultdoor

• Sergeant
« Reply #8 on: 12 July 2017, 23:56:32 »
Let's try this again. I've improved the mapping program (since my earlier surviving post, not since the forums died).

I've got two maps. The first one, which I've attached, shows worlds that were a part of the Outworlds Alliance at any point in history. The second (https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1Jk2kDDIqVMRnBmNndoRmtYbEk/view) shows every world I have data on, as of 3130.

Worlds are color-coded. Worlds conquered by the Clans are filled with the color of their former owner and surrounded by a "forbidden sign" in the color of the conquering Clan.

Worlds that are currently undiscovered, as well as worlds that we have no current data on, are white.

Worlds that have been abandoned are grey and marked with a symbol to indicate roughly when they were lost.

Clicking on a world turns 1- and 2-jump circles on or off.

Mousing over a planet's name shows who claims it and what province/PDZ/prefecture/&c. it is in. If the world is abandoned, Mousing over its name will tell when it was abandoned. If the world has no data available for it (like the clan homeworlds in 3130), mousing over its name will tell you what the last available data is.

Note that not all PDF viewers will support the jump circles or tooltips. Acrobat Reader will, I know. Preview, at least the Mavericks version, will not.

Adding new worlds or changing nationalities is easy, as is generating maps for other eras if that would be useful.

Register