Author Topic: Mech of the Week: LHU Lao Hu  (Read 1220 times)

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
Mech of the Week: LHU Lao Hu
« on: 04 March 2024, 23:08:05 »

When it first debuted in 3055, the Thunder was hailed by the Capellan Confederation as "the fastest AC/20 in the Inner Sphere" (apparently because they'd forgotten that the Saladin and Hammerhead existed).  As a fast-moving heavy mech with a really big gun, it was a dangerous in-fighter, but with the rapid pace of technological upgrades that were made in the late 50s and early 60s, it quickly was found to have some serious flaws, namely a near-total lack of ranged firepower.

Debuting in Field Manual: Capellan Confederation, the LHU-2B was designed by a student at the Victoria Academy of Arms and Technology in order to take advantage of new technologies in order to make a mech that carried a big autocannon like the Thunder but was better able to fight at range.  The design was considered so impressive that the student was given the honor of naming the new mech and chose Lao Hu, or Tiger.  It first walked off the assembly line in 3062 and was shared with the Confederation's Canopian allies.

From a technical standpoint, the Lao Hu is a 75 ton mech powered by a 375 XL engine, giving it a top speed of 5/8 just like the earlier Thunder.  Endo-steel is used for added weight savings and the mech is protected by 13.5 tons of standard armor plating, leaving it one ton shy of maximum, and it arranges it fairly sensibly, being short a single point on the arms and side torsos, three points short on the center torso, and four points below on the legs.  All frontal non-head locations will survive a single hit from an AC/20 plus something else without being breached- a single small laser for the arms and side torsos, an Inner Sphere large laser for the legs, and an Inner Sphere large laser and medium laser for the center torso.  To the rear, the side torsos can withstand one hit from a Clan ER Medium Laser while the center torso can take a hit from an Inner Sphere PPC.

For weaponry, the LHU-2B Lao Hu is given a greater emphasis on range than the Thunder.  The right arm mounts an LB 20-X, giving it better range and the ability to use cluster rounds, but unfortunately it's so bulky that it extends into the right torso so it's unable to be fired into the mech's rear or right side arcs.  Three tons of ammunition insure that it will last through most fights, all stored in the right torso.  To allow it to strike foes further away, the 2B also mounts an ER Large Laser in the left arm and an LRM-15 in the left torso, fed by a two ton ammo bin.  Unfortunately, the mech lacks CASE so it will be destroyed rather than disabled in the event of an ammo explosion.  The stock 20 double heatsinks do an adequate job of cooling them mech- it gains 3+movement heat on an alpha strike, but the LB 20's shorter range compared to the other weapons and the LRM's minimum range insures that this is not likely to be a routine occurrence.

When the mech was reprinted in TRO 3067, two new variants were added, the LHU-3B and the LHU-3C.

The LHU-3B was designed as a C3 Master mech, for coordinating fire between the Confederation's relatively small number of C3-equipped designs when it appeared in 3063.  To fit the large C3M computer onto it, a ton of armor was removed from the arms and torsos, the LB 20-X was downgraded to an LB 10-X, and the LRM-15 was dropped to an LRM-10 with Artemis IV.  The ER Large Laser was retained.  The autocannon is still fed by a three ton ammo bin and the LRM pod by a two ton bin, still without CASE, but the smaller guns mean that this variant has better ammunition endurance.  The change in weaponry insures that this variant runs cool even on an Alpha Strike

The LHU-3C, on the other hand, was intended as a sniper, replacing the 2B's autocannon with a Gauss Rifle and the LRM-15 for a trio of LRM-5s while again retaining the ER Large Laser.  With the Gauss Rifle having a two ton bin and the LRMs now carrying three tons of ammo, this mech is well-positioned to take advantage of your favorite type of specialty munitions for the missiles, whatever types you happen to prefer.  It's only capable of generating a single point of heat on a running alpha strike.

With the debut of Record Sheets: 3067 Unabridged, two more variants were released, the 3L and 4E, showing up in 3069 and 3078, respectively.  Like the 3C, they keep the same armor profile as the 2B.

The 3L is a variation on the 2B, but completely replaces the weapons.  The right arm autocannon is now a RAC 5, the left torso LRM pod is back to the LRM-10 with Artemis IV from the 3B, and the left arm ER Large Laser has been replaced with a Plasma Rifle.  Three tons of RAC ammo occupy the right arm with the gun, while the LRM pod and Plasma Rifle are each forced to make due with only a single ton of ammo apiece, both stored in the left torso.  People who were paying attention probably noticed that this doesn't add up to the same mass of warload as the 2B, and the remaining four tons come in the form of a Targeting Computer stored in the right torso to insure extra accuracy for the autocannon and Plasma Rifle.  On an alpha strike, this mech only generates movement heat (assuming  you spun the RAC up to max), but with its limited ammo you probably don't want to do that too often.  Given that this mech debuted without any fluff, it's unknown if the RAC and Targeting Computer represent battlefield salvage from fighting with the FedSuns, if they were produced by the FedSuns as a refit of salvaged 2Bs, or if they're factory produced.  Heck, it could be all three.  The mech shows up on the MUL as being available to both the Confederation and the Suns (as well as the Canopians).

The 4E is a radically different beast.  It packs Stealth Armor and a new weapon package.  The Stealth Armor, of course, necessitated the addition of a Guardian ECM, which is stored in the new Small Cockpit, while an XL Gyro takes up additional space in the center torso.  The 3C's Gauss Rifle is back, again with a two ton ammo bin in the right torso.  The traditional left arm energy weapon has been upgraded to a Heavy PPC, nearly doubling its punch, while a trio of Rocket Launcher 10s sit in the left torso as hold out weapons.  The addition of the Stealth Armor pushes its heat burden up considerably, but an added four double heatsinks take its dissipation to 28, letting it fire the PPC and GR while running with stealth engaged for no heat gain.  According to the MUL, this is the only variant not used by anyone besides the Confederation.

All in all, the Lao Hu functions as a reasonably mobile, reasonably durable, reasonably armed mech.  The 2B has an issue with a blind spot in its right firing arc thanks to the autocannon's bulk restricting it to the front arc, but other than that the main weakness of any variant of the mech is ammo dependency and a lack of CASE.  I will say that I dislike the 4E just for being yet another Capellan mech that combines Stealth Armor and a Gauss Rifle, they're positively dripping with such mechs at this point.  Other than that, it's a solid Capellan design but not a particularly flashy one.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

BrianDavion

• Captain
Re: Mech of the Week: LHU Lao Hu
« Reply #1 on: 05 March 2024, 06:27:28 »
the 3C mildly annoys me, as does most mechs that randomly replace a LRM 15 with triple LRM 5 packs or similer, but other then that the Lao Hu's not a bad mech honestly I'd forgotten it existed until  now. I kinda like it TBH, it's a solid mech that utilizes existant technology the CapCon had developed, for other chassies to take a concept that the cappies had fallen short of and just about perfect it. in an era where so many designs suffered from new toy syndrome, it was kinda nice that way
The Suns will shine again

17thRecon

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #2 on: 05 March 2024, 10:10:09 »
This, the Shen-Yi and Tian-Zong are my some of my favorite Mechs in the looks department. I remember when I first saw the Lao Hu, it pretty much was the Thunder done right. Better able to fight its way into range to then use that AC20 up close.

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #3 on: 05 March 2024, 10:36:44 »
I can't recall what i thought long ago in my article (and i can't be bothered to check my files for it) but nowadays i tend to think the initial Lao Hu is dubious improvement over the Thunder. The Thunder 1L was focused on close combat with token long range weapon, and the Thunder 2L (introduced in 3063) just doubled down on close combat (though having TSM and stealth armor both make it expensive in BV). The Lao Hu can't decide. The laser and missiles imply ranged focus, but the LB-20X is odd here. It works to be sure, but overall i don't really see it to be worth it over the Thunder. Endo-steel is also more expensive than standard structure, though i suppose the Lao Hu does have certain prestige as a more advanced design.
(Also even though it is irrelevant for pick-up games, i strongly dislike the lack of CASE just in principle.)

Fortunately the 3C model actually wises up and dedicates the mech to long range combat, though i find the LRM split bizarre change for change's sake. Makes for a reasonable partner to the Thunder in a cavalry lance, one for close combat, the other for long range. (And this makes me think the new Lightning is actually redundant since the Lao Hu 3C already does the Lightning's role.)

And only now i realize how the 4E model feels oddly similar to the Tian-Zong. Twin headcappers, stealth armor, and like the Tian-Zong N3, small cockpit.

Minemech

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: 05 March 2024, 11:11:43 »
I can't recall what i thought long ago in my article (and i can't be bothered to check my files for it) but nowadays i tend to think the initial Lao Hu is dubious improvement over the Thunder. The Thunder 1L was focused on close combat with token long range weapon, and the Thunder 2L (introduced in 3063) just doubled down on close combat (though having TSM and stealth armor both make it expensive in BV). The Lao Hu can't decide. The laser and missiles imply ranged focus, but the LB-20X is odd here. It works to be sure, but overall i don't really see it to be worth it over the Thunder. Endo-steel is also more expensive than standard structure, though i suppose the Lao Hu does have certain prestige as a more advanced design.
(Also even though it is irrelevant for pick-up games, i strongly dislike the lack of CASE just in principle.)

Fortunately the 3C model actually wises up and dedicates the mech to long range combat, though i find the LRM split bizarre change for change's sake. Makes for a reasonable partner to the Thunder in a cavalry lance, one for close combat, the other for long range. (And this makes me think the new Lightning is actually redundant since the Lao Hu 3C already does the Lightning's role.)

And only now i realize how the 4E model feels oddly similar to the Tian-Zong. Twin headcappers, stealth armor, and like the Tian-Zong N3, small cockpit.
The Thunder was always a fine mech, but the Lao Hu had propaganda value which could be more important. The original concept was less confused, and more a crit seeker which could compliment their Gauss toters. The Thunder was a quiet addition to the CCAF, whilst the Lao Hu went off with a bang for propaganda purposes.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #5 on: 05 March 2024, 16:44:13 »
I can't recall what i thought long ago in my article (and i can't be bothered to check my files for it) but nowadays i tend to think the initial Lao Hu is dubious improvement over the Thunder. The Thunder 1L was focused on close combat with token long range weapon, and the Thunder 2L (introduced in 3063) just doubled down on close combat (though having TSM and stealth armor both make it expensive in BV). The Lao Hu can't decide. The laser and missiles imply ranged focus, but the LB-20X is odd here.

It's because the Lao Hu is a generalist mech rather than being entirely focused on point-blank combat.  The missiles and laser are there to let it pose a credible threat to opponents as it moves to get close enough to use the AC, whereas the Thunder was functionally helpless beyond 9 hexes.  I'd take the Thunder any time LOS was restricted, but for an open battlefield the Lao Hu will perform better (at least until it runs out of ammo).  It's a similar design concept to the Centurion- advance and shoot as you get your next weapon into range.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

mbear

• Stood Far Back When The Gravitas Was Handed Out
  • Major
    • Tower of Jade
« Reply #6 on: 06 March 2024, 09:12:58 »
I think a nice variant might be to swap the LRMs for MMLs to supplement both long and short range firepower. I'll have to look into that.
Be the Loremaster:

Battletech transport rules take a very feline approach to moving troops in a combat zone: If they fits, they ships.

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your BT experience. Now what? (Thanks Sartis!)

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Fight for something or Die for nothing
    • The Steel-Raven at DeviantArt
« Reply #7 on: 07 March 2024, 15:48:58 »
the 3C mildly annoys me, as does most mechs that randomly replace a LRM 15 with triple LRM 5 packs or similer,
3X LRM 5s weigh 6 tons while 1X LRM 15 weighs 7, it's a easy way to save some weight without using up more crite space. You also now have a greater chance to hit with three roles vs one. Very few of these hits will be knock down blows but you will on average hit the target more.     
Battletech Art and Commissions
http://steel-raven.deviantart.com

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #8 on: 07 March 2024, 16:25:49 »
3X LRM 5s weigh 6 tons while 1X LRM 15 weighs 7, it's a easy way to save some weight without using up more crite space. You also now have a greater chance to hit with three roles vs one. Very few of these hits will be knock down blows but you will on average hit the target more.   
the Gauss is there for the knockdown blows. with the extra ammo tonnage for the LRM's, go nuts with special ammo and use it to control the battlefield. smoke, incendiary, fragmentation.. probably not thunder since a 5 point minefield may not be very useful, but it is an option.

BrianDavion

• Captain
« Reply #9 on: 08 March 2024, 00:14:09 »

which is why it annoys me, it feels very gamey
The Suns will shine again

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #10 on: 08 March 2024, 00:17:05 »

The only benefit i see to the 15 pack over the reg 5 pack, is if you stick artimes on it, which ups u to 8 tons, vs 9 for the tri lrm5s with art.  BUT who in their right mind would stick art on a 5 pack??

It's not who you kill, but how they die!
You can't shoot what you can't see.
You can not dodge it if you don't know it's coming.

BATTLEMASTER

• Captain
  • Hot and Unbothered
« Reply #11 on: 10 March 2024, 06:10:12 »
The only benefit i see to the 15 pack over the reg 5 pack, is if you stick artimes on it, which ups u to 8 tons, vs 9 for the tri lrm5s with art.  BUT who in their right mind would stick art on a 5 pack??

The bigger racks also have better damage rolls on the cluster table.  I'm not sure if that's worth it compared to more tohit rolls, but it's an interesting tradeoff!
BATTLEMASTER
Trombone Player, Lego Enthusiast, Engineer
Clan Smoke Jaguar, Delta Galaxy ("The Cloud Rangers"), 4th Jaguar Dragoons
"You better stand back, I'm not sure how loud this thing can get!"
If you like Lego, you'll like my Lego battlemech projects!

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Fight for something or Die for nothing
    • The Steel-Raven at DeviantArt
« Reply #12 on: 10 March 2024, 09:53:17 »
Hey, I suck with LRMs regardless and rather they shove a PPC into the mech but whatever.
Battletech Art and Commissions
http://steel-raven.deviantart.com

Grizzly

• Master Sergeant
  • Average Liao Enjoyer
« Reply #13 on: 11 March 2024, 19:52:22 »
I can imagine a lot of Thunderbolt operators found parts of the Lao Hu very familiar but improved. As for variants it's hard to beat the original but if we get an IlClan model I'd love to see a Silver Bullet gauss replace the autocannon for more range synergy.

"I checked the [MUL] log, and it says that you--specifically--broke it." -Greekfire

Check out my tribute to the CCAF at www.instagram.com/average_liao_enjoyer/

MWO handle: Grizlie
Mercenaries Kickstarter backer #268

Minemech

• Captain
« Reply #14 on: 18 March 2024, 18:42:49 »
I can imagine a lot of Thunderbolt operators found parts of the Lao Hu very familiar but improved. As for variants it's hard to beat the original but if we get an IlClan model I'd love to see a Silver Bullet gauss replace the autocannon for more range synergy.
I had never before made the connection with the TDR-5D. Good catch.

Sabelkatten

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #15 on: 22 March 2024, 08:28:21 »
The bigger racks also have better damage rolls on the cluster table.  I'm not sure if that's worth it compared to more tohit rolls, but it's an interesting tradeoff!
Not really... Unless you're fighting against FL armor or really thin-skinned targets. The extra TAC chance of 3x 3-point groups is usually more valuable than getting a few more 5-point groups. AT2 excepted, of course.

The -3C is a really well designed fast heavy!

Grizzly

• Master Sergeant
  • Average Liao Enjoyer
« Reply #16 on: 22 March 2024, 17:06:49 »
I had never before made the connection with the TDR-5D. Good catch.

Oh good point my mind didn't even go there.

I was just thinking of the common TDR-5S with its larger laser and LRM15. The LHU ups the speed to current heavy mechs standards and swaps all short range weapons for one big versatile gun.

"I checked the [MUL] log, and it says that you--specifically--broke it." -Greekfire

Check out my tribute to the CCAF at www.instagram.com/average_liao_enjoyer/

MWO handle: Grizlie
Mercenaries Kickstarter backer #268

Minemech

• Captain
« Reply #17 on: 22 March 2024, 18:38:37 »
Oh good point my mind didn't even go there.

I was just thinking of the common TDR-5S with its larger laser and LRM15. The LHU ups the speed to current heavy mechs standards and swaps all short range weapons for one big versatile gun.
:smilie_party_cheers: