Author Topic: Adventures of the Beer Keg of Science! ("Denizens"/"Adminstrator" adjacent)  (Read 35988 times)

chanman

• Major
  • Architect of suffering
My last few hospital trips weren't long enough (conscious, at least) to merit food.  I suppose I should be thankful for that... ;D

Are you saying they'd be improved by replacing the cafeteria and kitchens with crates of MREs?  :cheesy:

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
I'm saying I was unconscious (or at least had my memory blanked out) for the majority of the time... I don't recommend kidney stones to ANYONE.  They suck more than shingles... :p

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Miss Chitty finds your honor rules quaint.
I honestly can't say if the food I got after they popped out my kidney was pretty good or if I was just so ravenous at that point that my standards were low.

My previous stay in a different hospital however, the food was so devoid of flavor that it was depressing.
Good news is the lab boys say the symptoms of asbestos poisoning show an immediate latency of 44.6 years. So if you're thirty or over you're laughing. Worst case scenario you miss out on a few rounds of canasta, plus you've forwarded the cause of science by three centuries. I punch those numbers into my calculator, it makes a happy face.

(indirect accessory to the) Slayer of Monitors!

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
Hunger will absolutely color your memory of how things taste... I was literally so sick for a week once that I couldn't keep down ANY food.  I had to drive the length of New York to pick up a friend at the end of it, and I was SO hungry, I HAD to stop at a Thruway McDonalds... I know that burger couldn't POSSIBLY have been that good, but I was able to drive the rest of the way back and had about four pounds of leftovers when I got home (leftovers from an SCA event, so yes, there were THAT many).

DOC_Agren

• Major
Are you saying they'd be improved by replacing the cafeteria and kitchens with crates of MREs?  :cheesy:
sadly depending on the location and day YESS
"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • And I think it's gonna be a long, long time...
I honestly can't say if the food I got after they popped out my kidney was pretty good or if I was just so ravenous at that point that my standards were low.

My previous stay in a different hospital however, the food was so devoid of flavor that it was depressing.

That's pretty much where I was on it.  I wasn't on a dietary restriction when I was in the hospital in June, but I was in October, which didn't help matters.

Got out of the hospital the afternoon of the 15th, pulled two 12-hour shifts at work the next two days, and the rest of that week wasn't much better - it was the culmination of a work project to upgrade our electronic faxing that's been two years in the works, where I'm lead engineer and the subject matter expert.  The past month has been cleanup of post-migration issues, all the stuff from my primary job (supporting our Epic server infrastructure), and then all the extra meetings to try to figure out the support responsibilities for our electronic faxing, now that it's expanded out well beyond where it was before.

And the backlog of departments and clinics wanting to be onboarded with electronic faxing...which goes back into the category of responsibilities.  There's stuff that only I'm able to do right now, because there debate all the way up to the director/VP level about who should actually be responsible for it (though everyone agrees that the only reason it's with my team was that I supported it before becoming an ECSA).  It's been a mess.

With that said...we're coming up to the holidays, and I also took an extra week off, so I'm hoping to be able to get caught up on writing again.  I've got bits and pieces of pretty much all my stories in the works right now (from "Starship Diana" to "Beer Keg" to "Syberia") - it's just a matter of getting away from meditative games that allow me to relax from work stress, like Solitaire or Rule the Waves 3.
"Does anyone know where the love of God goes / When the waves turn the minutes to hours?"
-- Gordon Lightfoot, "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald"

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
Good luck, Gio!  We'll be here whenever you get around to it... :)

Register