Author Topic: MOTW: Ion Sparrow  (Read 8317 times)

BrianDavion

• Captain
MOTW: Ion Sparrow
« on: 14 February 2022, 19:43:02 »
It's Monday start of a new week! And How better then to start a new week then by posting a Mech of the Week. Before we begin I want to thank Greekfire who I sent a copy of my draft in advance to see if there was anything he thought I should add from his wonderful Heirofalcon Article https://bg.battletech.com/forums/fan-articles/mech-of-the-week-hierofalcon/ he also BTW posted Diplominator's article on the Jade Phoenix just last week. https://bg.battletech.com/forums/fan-articles/mech-of-the-week-jade-phoenix/ I encourage folks to take a look at them as well since the Ion Sparrow is the "older little brother" of those two. I'd also like to thank Jymset for both designing this mech and being kind enough to answer some questions about it.

The Jade Falcons have long loved jump jets—perhaps because it allows them to swoop down on their foes like their namesake bird. It should, therefore, surprise no one that the Falcons developed the BattleMech partial wing in the late 3060s. The Cougar XR was the first Falcon 'Mech to use the technology. Scientists later intended for the Flambridge OmniMech to use it as well, but the dismal state of the scientist caste prevented the full maturation of the technology before the OmniMech's debut. Even so, the Jade Falcons eventually managed to master the partial wing, and it saw deployment on a number of popular BattleMechs. An OmniMech with a partial wing, however, remained elusive...until the Ion Sparrow, code named Butcherbird by the Lyrans (which apparently was the original "working name" for the mech and they liked it so much they formalized the nickname)

The Ion Sparrow was originally as much a test bed for partial wing technology as a functional 'Mech design hence why the design has been heavily based on the Fire Falcon. In fact, it was only after the warrior assigned to the project suggested it would have value as a trainer that the Falcons decided to put it into service. So what does the Ion Sparrow look like? The frame is solid, but it has some flaws indicative of its status as a prototype. Massing in at 20 tons, the design has a rare weight for an OmniMech. Packing 3 tons of ferro-fibrous armor wrapped around an endo steel skeleton, it also uses a small cockpit, a 160-rated XL engine moving it up to 129 KPH, and 10 DHS. The real stand out here is its partial wing and 8 jump jets—meaning in a normal atmosphere you have 10 jumping MP. And yes, unlike this 'Mech's bigger brothers, this thing mounts fixed jump jets. No improved jump jets for you! Additionally, it should be noted that if you're using quirks, this design is classed as easy to pilot; Letting the small cockpit's PSR penalty be cancelled out.

The design is interesting in that after a particularly nasty run in with Wolf clan Storm Wolves (a 50 ton mech capable of CATCHING the speedy Ion Sparrow) Malvina issued orders that the design not be used in a battle line, instead operating in a support capacity.

One might think that all this gear can't leave much room for pod space, and one would be correct. The Ion Sparrow mounts a record LOW tonnage of pod space with only four tons; only the Celerity has less, and I tend to not count the ultralight drone as a real OmniMech. But four tons can be plenty if used properly, so how does the Ion Sparrow use its podspace?

The Primary variant mounts a pair of improved heavy lasers and two antipersonnel Gauss rifles.  This config might run a bit hot if you're overly jumpy, but is easy enough to run cool. With 26 max potential damage, the Ion Sparrow Prime can force that all important PSR, while also being a capable infantry hunter. For some reason the weapons package reminds me a little of the classic stinger or Locust weapons loads.

The Alpha configuration is likely the config that earned this 'Mech the nickname "Butcher Bird" on Coventry, mounting 8 machine guns in two arrays and an active probe for hunting down infantry...or back during Malvina's day, orphanages. It has half a ton of ammo, which even with this many machine guns is plenty.

Beta Config is a pretty simple one: it mounts twin SRM 6s with a ton of ammo between them. twin SRM 6s isn't very much firepower, and this is the only mech that won't be able to force a PSR, however when hunting something that number of hits is more important then how much damage the hit does, this is a fine mech. useful for hunting tanks, or just hunting down mechs already damaged and crit seeking the heck out of them!

Charlie Config is every non-Jade Falcon's Least favorite configuration. Mounting 6 ER small lasers tied to a targeting computer, this thing is a backstabber extraordinaire. The mobility of this 'Mech combined with the small lasers means that you're always gonna be in the rear arc of something.

And finally, Delta Config. I admit I had some trouble understanding this one initially, a MPL and 2 ER MLs design is a bit odd as useally you see something symmetrical. Jymset was, helpful in understanding the design philosophy behind this of wanting a bit of a heavy hitter/sniper capable of forcing a PSR while also doing something more interesting then 4 ER MLs or 2 MPLs.

One thing worth noting about all the configs is the Mechs are 100% arm mounted, this compared with the designs near unparalleled mobility for an omnimech makes this a fantastic battle armor carrier.

Finally, I want to talk a bit about this 'Mech's future. Given the current state of the Jade Falcons, the future of their designs is worth bringing up. The Ion Sparrow, like the Hierofalcon and Jade Phoenix, are all produced on Alyina—putting control of the factory firmly in Alyina Mercantile League hands. What this means for the future is hard to say; however, I suspect that short term is this means that the Sea Foxes are likely to spread this design far and wide.
The Suns will shine again

Natasha Kerensky

• Major
  • Queen of Spades, First Lady of Death, Black Widow
Re: MOTW: Ion Sparrow
« Reply #1 on: 14 February 2022, 22:35:31 »

Unless rounding out a force, the Ion Sparrow is too light and vulnerable for most competitive play these days.  But it’s full of character for GM forces in a campaign and the like.  I have not playtested this yet, but it would be fun to take a Savannah Master-like swarm of Butcherbirds against some equal BV but much heavier and less numerous forces and see who comes out on top.

I find the fluff about Malvina relegating the Ion Sparrow to support roles ironic.  Small, cheap, fast units are supposed to be at the heart of (conventional) Mongol doctrine.

The Ion Sparrow’s design concept — 8/12/8(10) with the partial wing — optimizes around 40 tons.  These heavier, more survivable version are useful in a lot more games.  Not that the Ion Sparrow is bad, but I have several old, heavier, useful versions of this concept on my hard drive that I wish were in the RecGuides instead of the Ion Sparrow.

Some nits on the article:  Flamberge, not Flambridge; the Prime should only overheat by 1 on a full jump and alpha due to cooling from the partial wing; Beta can force a PSR if the missile hit rolls are high enough.  Good stuff, nits aside.
"Ah, yes.  The belle dame sans merci.  The sweet young thing who will blast your nuts off.  The kitten with a whip.  That mystique?"
"Slavish adherence to formal ritual is a sign that one has nothing better to think about."
"Variety is the spice of battle."
"I've fought in... what... a hundred battles, a thousand battles?  It could be a million as far as I know.  I've fought for anybody who offered a decent contract and a couple who didn't.  And the universe is not much different after all that.  I could go on fighting for another hundred years and it would still look the same."
"I'm in mourning for my life."
"Those who break faith with the Unity shall go down into darkness."

Scotty

• Alpha Strike Guru by appointment to the FWLM
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
« Reply #2 on: 14 February 2022, 22:44:54 »
Unless rounding out a force, the Ion Sparrow is too light and vulnerable for most competitive play these days.

I disagree with this assessment.  A 'Mech, regardless of tonnage, that can force a PSR and generate a +5 TMM for under 1K BV has a strong place in a competitive environment.  That place is not "three hexes from the enemy and damn the consequences", but it definitely has a place.  The Prime and C both do that well, and the B is also capable.

I tend to concur on the A, though.  At barely 500 BV it's an excellent contender for "threatening initiative sink" for your heavier hitters but the actual merit of the armament is not strong.  The D likewise doesn't have a good place, but that's largely due to its cost at over 1100 BV.  At that point you're looking at a solid Medium trooper on the beefy side of things, or a fast Light that will win the direct face-off in firepower with contemptuous ease.
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Kansas City players, or people who are just passing through the area, come join us at the Geekery just off Shawnee Mission Parkway for BattleTech!  Current days are Tuesdays in the afternoon and evening.  I can't make every single week, but odds are pretty good that somebody will be there.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #3 on: 14 February 2022, 23:05:01 »
It's interesting that had this mech pod-mounted its jump jets it would have been incapable of gaining any additional jumping ability without substantially changing the base mech: podding the jump jets would have given back 4 tons, and eight Improved Jump Jets would have taken up all the pod space with nothing left over for additional equipment, giving it the same movement for no fighting ability.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Greatclub

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: 14 February 2022, 23:12:35 »
Beta Config is a pretty simple one: it mounts twin SRM 6s with a ton of ammo between them. twin SRM 6s isn't very much firepower, and this is the only mech that won't be able to force a PSR,

It can get a PSR with a bit of luck - two average clusters are 8 missiles, but if you get 10 there is your PSR.

I'd actually say the D could be worth it depending on opposition. It has the obvious allergies every 20 ton mech has, but it hits very hard at reasonable range, making the to-hit skew more severe.

Scotty

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
« Reply #5 on: 14 February 2022, 23:21:43 »
The problem with the D is that you're immediately competing with things like the Locust IIC, Fire Falcon C and H, and on the Inner Sphere side of things the Osiris 3D.  All of which hilariously outclass what the Ion Sparrow brings to the table.

That's not to say "this is a bad config", because it isn't, but it's not the top of its class and it's not going to be your go to for the same role and cost.
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Kansas City players, or people who are just passing through the area, come join us at the Geekery just off Shawnee Mission Parkway for BattleTech!  Current days are Tuesdays in the afternoon and evening.  I can't make every single week, but odds are pretty good that somebody will be there.

Starfury

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #6 on: 15 February 2022, 00:51:43 »
The Ion Sparrow reminds me of a faster Clan Omni version of the Stinger.  It's cheap, easy to produce, mobile, and has a small payload for scout, anti-personnel or skirmisher duties.

Greatclub

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: 15 February 2022, 01:09:35 »
The problem with the D is that you're immediately competing with things like the Locust IIC, Fire Falcon C and H, and on the Inner Sphere side of things the Osiris 3D.  All of which hilariously outclass what the Ion Sparrow brings to the table.

That's not to say "this is a bad config", because it isn't, but it's not the top of its class and it's not going to be your go to for the same role and cost.

Everything you listed* uses ground movement to get around; Ion Sparrow needs far less planning, and is thus significantly more noob attractive.

*later oriris configs jump more, but the one you listed does not reach +3 TMM.

Scotty

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
« Reply #8 on: 15 February 2022, 01:32:36 »
You're correct that it's more 'noob attractive' but I'm not speaking from the position of a 'noob'.  I'd take any one of the four 'Mechs mentioned before an Ion Sparrow D if the goal is to deal damage on a fast platform for approximately 1100 BV.

On a related note, one of the hardest skills to learn when using a jumping 'Mech in BattleTech is when not to jump.  Developing those planning skills is vital to using a 'Mech to its actual potential.  An Ion Sparrow D that is jumping 10 every turn is an Ion Sparrow D that is contributing approximately 7 damage at a time on average numbers, and that's extremely not worth as much as it costs to bring to the table.
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Natasha Kerensky

• Major
  • Queen of Spades, First Lady of Death, Black Widow
« Reply #9 on: 15 February 2022, 01:57:21 »
I disagree with this assessment.  A 'Mech, regardless of tonnage, that can force a PSR and generate a +5 TMM for under 1K BV has a strong place in a competitive environment.  That place is not "three hexes from the enemy and damn the consequences", but it definitely has a place.  The Prime and C both do that well, and the B is also capable.

If the total BV for each side is low enough, I agree.  But above a certain level with current tech, there’s usually just too many 10-point hits (AC/10s, Clan large lasers, heavy medium lasers) and higher being thrown around that 20-ton mechs are just too vulnerable to being crippled or killed in one shot for my taste.  The difference between 8 points of leg armor on a 20-tonner and 10 points on a 25-tonner can be significant.  Same largely goes for 10 points of side torso armor (which must be split front to back) and 12 points on a 25-tonner.  It would drive the BV up some, but I’d like an (even slightly) heavier version of the Ion Sparrow.  It get more use in more situations, at least by me.

To be clear, that’s a knock against practically all 20-tonners playing against current tech.  It’s not specific to the Ion Sparrow.  If the Ion Sparrow had to be a 20-tonner, so be it.  I just wish it could have been (even a bit) heavier.

The Ion Sparrow reminds me of a faster Clan Omni version of the Stinger.  It's cheap, easy to produce, mobile, and has a small payload for scout, anti-personnel or skirmisher duties.

The weapons on the Prime are very similar to a Stinger IIC.
"Ah, yes.  The belle dame sans merci.  The sweet young thing who will blast your nuts off.  The kitten with a whip.  That mystique?"
"Slavish adherence to formal ritual is a sign that one has nothing better to think about."
"Variety is the spice of battle."
"I've fought in... what... a hundred battles, a thousand battles?  It could be a million as far as I know.  I've fought for anybody who offered a decent contract and a couple who didn't.  And the universe is not much different after all that.  I could go on fighting for another hundred years and it would still look the same."
"I'm in mourning for my life."
"Those who break faith with the Unity shall go down into darkness."

BrianDavion

• Captain
« Reply #10 on: 15 February 2022, 02:44:00 »
yeah, the Ion Sparrow kinda reminds me of a hybrid locust/stinger. combining the best of both. It's not a mech I'd wanna take onto the Battleline, but as a mobile BA delivery system it's proably better then the firemoth and it's a good mech to bully infantry and light vehicles.

GuyIncognito

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #11 on: 15 February 2022, 03:40:35 »
I rather liked the strategic usage of the Sparrow as described in its writeup in the back of ilClan.

Fat Guy

• Major
  • I make beer disappear. What's your superpower?
« Reply #12 on: 15 February 2022, 07:55:41 »
The bastard child of a Locust and Spider.

I used a C in 10,000 bv game to round out my star. My opponent was so determined not to let it get a backshot that it was literally dictating how he moved three to four of his 'Mechs a turn. It didn't get any shots off 'till near the end of the game, but it's effects on the game were far in excess of the 889 bv spent.
I have spoken.

wantec

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
« Reply #13 on: 15 February 2022, 08:06:51 »
The limited pod tonnage seems almost unique to the Ion Sparrow, but when you calculate it as a percentage based on the Omni's tonnage it's not that unique. The 4 tons of pod tonnage on a 20 ton Omni is 20% pod tonnage. Yes it's on the low end, but it puts it in line with others:

13.33% - Celerity
16.25% - Phantom
21.11% - Ice Ferret
21.25% - Dragonfly
23.64% - Black Lanner
24.62% - Crossbow
26.67% - Kingfisher

Now the Phantom, Ice Ferret, & Kingfisher all have fixed DHS which could be argued to impact that percentage. Similarly, the Dragonfly has fixed jump jets like the Ion Sparrow.
BEN ROME YOU MAGNIFICENT BASTARD, I READ YOUR BOOK!

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Fight for something or Die for nothing
    • The Steel-Raven at DeviantArt
« Reply #14 on: 15 February 2022, 10:49:16 »
4 tons is still only 4 tons. It's better pod space than the Naga but it still limits the Mechs options. Still a good 20 ton mech, I just wouldn't be all Leeroy Jenkins in the thing trying for a PSR.
Battletech Art and Commissions
http://steel-raven.deviantart.com

MarauderD

• Major
« Reply #15 on: 15 February 2022, 13:57:16 »
4 ton payload balanced by that high TMM.  It would totally work in packs of 4 with a Hierofalcon--just like the old Fire Falcon/Black Lanner pairings.

Jal Phoenix

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Once, we had gods.
« Reply #16 on: 15 February 2022, 17:42:11 »
yeah, the Ion Sparrow kinda reminds me of a hybrid locust/stinger. combining the best of both. It's not a mech I'd wanna take onto the Battleline, but as a mobile BA delivery system it's proably better then the firemoth and it's a good mech to bully infantry and light vehicles.

Yup. It's a BA Taxi that can deliver a bit of light support. It is NOT meant to engage other 'Mechs.

BrianDavion

• Captain
« Reply #17 on: 15 February 2022, 19:22:26 »
Yup. It's a BA Taxi that can deliver a bit of light support. It is NOT meant to engage other 'Mechs.

And Malvina Hazen in a fit of tactical brilliance that proves why Alaric Ward is Ilkhan came to this conclusion only after a pack of them got eaten by a star of medium mechs

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #18 on: 15 February 2022, 22:23:55 »
Considering we are not talking Zel tactics, the bird can also serve as a spotter for indirect fire and arty.

Coldstone

• Master Sergeant
  • Every battle is a lesson, waiting to be learned.
« Reply #19 on: 16 February 2022, 17:55:01 »
I also see it from a Megamek point of view. I mostly play MM with Double Blind in effect. Combine that thing with an active probe and things could get interesting.
There's not to make reply
there's not to reason why
there's but to do, and die.
Into the valley of death rode the 600.

Jellico

• Spatium Magister
  • Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • BattleMechs are the lords of the battlefield
« Reply #20 on: 16 February 2022, 18:00:18 »
Considering we are not talking Zel tactics, the bird can also serve as a spotter for indirect fire and arty.
Indirect fire takes into account the spotter's movement mods. Jumping is not helpful there. It is why infantry/BA is so good as spotters. No movement modifiers.

Coldstone

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #21 on: 18 February 2022, 08:03:18 »
Hmm. Maybe a config with 8 Micro Pulses would be interesting too. Sure it would take the backstabber of the C to an extreme. I think I will playtest that config a bit.
For double Blind game I would propably go for 7 Mic Pulses and a Light A Probe.

Demiurge

• Sergeant
  • What matters is it catches mice
« Reply #22 on: 20 February 2022, 02:35:14 »
This design underlines how cruel all the advanced rules tech is to light chassis.  There's nothing to be gained by going with a light chassis.  The fixed mass items (which the small cockpit only partially mitigates) eat into the available tonnage too much, and things like XXL engines allow more heavily armored medium mechs to be just as fast as light ones.

Coldstone

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #23 on: 20 February 2022, 10:32:30 »
Sure. Use your XXL Engines. Make it easy for me to shoot your mech. Let me rip of your side torsos. Beside that: How many C-Bills did an XXL cost again?

Sorry but imo the XXL is just a bait. Sure the engine becomes even lighter than an XL. But the Drawbacks arent worth it imo. Didn't these thing produce heat even while staying still? No thanks.

XenopusTex

• Corporal
« Reply #24 on: 20 February 2022, 23:55:55 »
Looks like the Falcons didn't fully purge the Society folks.  Ugh, just ugh.  Great theoretical damage on the prime, but can't really use effectively if jumps due to the staking hit penalties.  The alpha is way too short ranged.  The beta's ammo endurance is laughable, especially with the jumping penalties.  The charlie may be the only sane man with the 6x ERSL's.  The delta should have been equipped with the discussed dual CMPL's... less max damage, more consistent damage.

Given that the clans have other options for far jumping BA taxis, I'm having a hard time trying to figure out why this thing exists.  Maybe the Hunchy IIC is too potent, and the soon to be forgotten 30 something warriors now need to kill their opponent with  the 'mech equivalent of a wooden spoon instead...  Kill the Star Colonel in his/her assault 'mech with your ion sparrow, and you just might get a mention in the post-game debrief.  Maybe this is how you take out potential competition in your ranks. 

BrianDavion

• Captain
« Reply #25 on: 21 February 2022, 00:44:06 »
Looks like the Falcons didn't fully purge the Society folks.  Ugh, just ugh.  Great theoretical damage on the prime, but can't really use effectively if jumps due to the staking hit penalties.  The alpha is way too short ranged.  The beta's ammo endurance is laughable, especially with the jumping penalties.  The charlie may be the only sane man with the 6x ERSL's.  The delta should have been equipped with the discussed dual CMPL's... less max damage, more consistent damage.

Given that the clans have other options for far jumping BA taxis, I'm having a hard time trying to figure out why this thing exists.  Maybe the Hunchy IIC is too potent, and the soon to be forgotten 30 something warriors now need to kill their opponent with  the 'mech equivalent of a wooden spoon instead...  Kill the Star Colonel in his/her assault 'mech with your ion sparrow, and you just might get a mention in the post-game debrief.  Maybe this is how you take out potential competition in your ranks. 

the mech was essentially a prototype to develop a partial wing on an omnimech chassis. it was put into production as a trainer because it was solid eneugh at it. it wasn't designed as an "ultimate omnimech" it was a stepping stone on the path to produce the jade pheonix.

Scotty

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
« Reply #26 on: 21 February 2022, 02:04:00 »

What exactly is your expectation for a 20 ton 'Mech that clocks in well under 1000 BV in every configuration except the one with three Clan medium lasers of various types on it?  I feel like it might be several notches higher than it should be.
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • And I think it's gonna be a long, long time...
« Reply #27 on: 21 February 2022, 03:02:58 »
It's a Clan Omni take on a Locust 1E, Mercury, or Stinger 3G/3Gb.  This is not a bad thing.
"Does anyone know where the love of God goes / When the waves turn the minutes to hours?"
-- Gordon Lightfoot, "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald"

BrianDavion

• Captain
« Reply #28 on: 21 February 2022, 03:53:15 »
It's a Clan Omni take on a Locust 1E, Mercury, or Stinger 3G/3Gb.  This is not a bad thing.

agreed. look at it as a jumping locust and in that light it's AMAZING

ManicMaestro

• Corporal
« Reply #29 on: 21 February 2022, 07:26:37 »

Yes you can do most of what the Ion Sparrow does with a medium mech. A Viper has more armor, the same ground speed, almost all the jump, and around twice the pod space. But every Viper config is over 1k BV, most are 1.5k or more, and a few are pushing dangerously close to 2k. yes, at least a few of them are worth the price but you’re talking double or triple any Ion Sparrow, and would I take two sparrows against a Viper and expect to win? Yes I would.

Coldstone

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #30 on: 21 February 2022, 08:55:16 »
Hmm. 3 ER Meds slaved to a TC? Or 8 Micro Pulses....... Would be possible too with this thing. But it is indeed the low BV which make this thing very interesting. Only thing I miss is the absence of full arms in all configs...

Then again it is a clan design, so IS Tactical thinking shouldn't used here. (I am one of the guys, who search a wood first if I go in a Spider. to take up a tree as a club ;))

XenopusTex

• Corporal
« Reply #31 on: 21 February 2022, 22:23:53 »

You mean the BA flak-jacket stapled to the 'mech? :)

Many types of transportable BA lack range and concentrated chunks of damage.  If these are more-or-less dedicated BS transporters, why do we have such dreadful things as the alpha?  At least put *light* MG's on the thing for the range...  Even with 4 tons of payload, can fit a hole puncher in there.

RE my expectations out of a 20-tonner.  First, I'd never build a 20-tonner :)  Anyway, my expectations would be to die horribly ...  Only use I can see for a 20-tonner is a "cheap and disposable" insurgency unit, or the 'mech equivalent of a picket/vedette (you know the enemy is coming when the hear the warrior's cut off scream over the com) or in the case of the Ion Sparrow alpha, when you see the mushroom cloud from the ammo cook off. 

Scotty

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
« Reply #32 on: 21 February 2022, 23:58:06 »
Well, you've correctly identified that using a wrench as a hammer is neither as effective nor as likely to still be a functional tool when you're done with it.  I think you're fundamentally misidentifying how a fast (and cheap) light Omni impacts a battlefield beyond merely distant recon and battle armor transport.  If viewing everything through the lens of how it performs in a direct forward assault on a like-capability target then the Ion Sparrow is very bad.  This is also arguably not the way it's intended to be used, but that dissertation is the kind of thing that deserves its own article.
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Greatclub

• Captain
« Reply #33 on: 22 February 2022, 02:10:47 »
but that dissertation is the kind of thing that deserves its own article.

I'd read it.

BrianDavion

• Captain
« Reply #34 on: 22 February 2022, 03:04:47 »
You mean the BA flak-jacket stapled to the 'mech? :)

Many types of transportable BA lack range and concentrated chunks of damage.  If these are more-or-less dedicated BS transporters, why do we have such dreadful things as the alpha?  At least put *light* MG's on the thing for the range...  Even with 4 tons of payload, can fit a hole puncher in there.

RE my expectations out of a 20-tonner.  First, I'd never build a 20-tonner :)  Anyway, my expectations would be to die horribly ...  Only use I can see for a 20-tonner is a "cheap and disposable" insurgency unit, or the 'mech equivalent of a picket/vedette (you know the enemy is coming when the hear the warrior's cut off scream over the com) or in the case of the Ion Sparrow alpha, when you see the mushroom cloud from the ammo cook off.

Ladies and gentlemen, we'd like to thank the finest minds in the LCAF for this commentary :D

Marveryn

• Lieutenant
« Reply #35 on: 22 February 2022, 06:20:48 »
Ladies and gentlemen, we'd like to thank the finest minds in the LCAF for this commentary :D

If we take a real life view on thing not Meta gaming.  Light mechs particular 20tons light mech can be factory build much faster then larger designs and are of course much cheaper.  When you got a world whose population and be millions to thousands there a lot of land to keep an eye on.  Drop a couple of these lights mech on patrol in area which lack good bird eye view.  You are no wasting better mech in a non combat  routine and they act more as trip wire from possible issue.  they are also fast enough to hit a hot zone if trouble start to stir up.  In clan control word that may mean insurgent who may not have nothing better then working mech if they have any.  couple of BA and this mech can in reach the trouble zone take the situation on hand and keep the main force waiting for real trouble.  And if they run into something they can heavier there loss wont cripple the garrison force and would alert them that they got enemy in the region. 

That the reason 20tons are really made.  I mean at some point someone got to be the bottom of the totem pole

Coldstone

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #36 on: 22 February 2022, 06:52:10 »
Sigh. Steiner mindset seems to be quite common these days. Everything under 80 tons is infantry......

Sabelkatten

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #37 on: 22 February 2022, 11:38:18 »
Nah... It’s battlearmor at least. ;)

BrianDavion

• Captain
« Reply #38 on: 22 February 2022, 15:43:54 »
Sigh. Steiner mindset seems to be quite common these days. Everything under 80 tons is infantry......

Most common among rookies who think firepower is everything and haven't ever experianced "the guy with the spider killing the hellstar because he cored it from behind"  :)

I mean even the fluff for this does note the Ion Sparrow's weakness to larger faster machines, Malvina Hazen specificly said "STOP USING THESE AS LINE MECHS" once a star of them got eaten by a star of Stormwolves

wantec

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
« Reply #39 on: 22 February 2022, 16:17:42 »
Most common among rookies who think firepower is everything and haven't ever experianced "the guy with the spider killing the hellstar because he cored it from behind"  :)

I mean even the fluff for this does note the Ion Sparrow's weakness to larger faster machines, Malvina Hazen specificly said "STOP USING THESE AS LINE MECHS" once a star of them got eaten by a star of Stormwolves
They can still be useful. but they have to pick their targets. Obviously something fast with weapons able to take them down quickly is not their forte.
BEN ROME YOU MAGNIFICENT BASTARD, I READ YOUR BOOK!

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #40 on: 23 February 2022, 15:36:29 »
I look at it as a jumpy Locust but a jumpy Flea may be a better analogy if we are looking for parallels with tonnage.   

Register