Author Topic: A directory for Monbvol's Madness(story index)-also rate review discuss  (Read 10108 times)

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
Some free time at work again but having a bit of writer's block to contribute to my current story I have thus decided to go through and create a directory of some of my offerings.

I'm leaving out the completely non-Battletech stuff for now but I can be convinced to revisit that decision.  Also only linking definitive editions and stories that I finished or are currently in progress.

No real particular order to them but I'll offer some of my thoughts on the themes I was trying to go for, how I feel about them, and how likely I am to revisit them.

A Path to Madness- A simple story of how a rivalry combined with the traumas of war and misfortune can combine into insanity.  I feel okay about this one but not great.  I think I could have done it much better.  Revisit odds: Rather low I'm afraid.

Enter the Fray- My attempt at a mostly light hearted harem anime style story but in Battletech.  This one I do feel like is one of my best works.  Revisit odds: Only to go back and fix spelling and grammatical errors.

A Simple Life- The story of a young spacer who gets conscripted into the 4th Succession War and how she copes with it.  A close second with this one as far as my own opinion of the quality of this work.  Revisit odds: Likewise only spelling and grammar corrections.

The Unexpected- Story of a deserter from the AFFC who has settled in the FRR just in time for the Clan Invasion and how he copes with his new situation.  I do think I managed to give the main character a certain appeal but yeah I really needed to explore more of his coping with having a new boss a bit better/more.  Revisit odds: Unfortunately this is not one that gnaws at me to re-tell or create a sequel for either.

Secrets That Bind- An attempt to explore what would happen if there was a supernatural element on Terra with the Word of Blake becoming it's last keeper.  In a lot of ways I think I made a mess with this one but still managed just enough to make it not complete garbage.  Revisit odds: Better than winning the lottery but worse than getting into a car accident.

The Sanity of War- The Civil War era story of a young landless noble who's life becomes so strange and odd that the battlefield is the only place that seems sane in comparison.  Overall this one went better than I thought it would but I wouldn't say it was top quality.  Revisit odds: This might actually be the only story I write a sequel for but that depends on if CGL ever decides to publish new stories covering the same era and what those stories say.

Random Events- A tale of refugees who seek out the Nebula California in hopes of being able to make a new start for themselves and coming to terms with the weirdness that is the Nebula.  Included this one because I promised that I'd include stuff currently in progress.  So far I think the plan I started with was working and things were progressing nicely but then life got interesting again and my original plan went to heck.  A little worried I'm falling into some self set traps again for it but I think I have done a better job of easing into things so maybe I won't step into them so bad again.

Statistical Distortions- Born of a weird random thought I had at work.  We have Empires Aflame, the California Nebula, and the weirdness of hyperspace in general.  So I decided to add some more.  I think I'm sensing a theme in my writing with this one, especially the ones that just seem to really be taking on a life of their own beyond what even I as the author can really explain.

Unforeseen Consequences- Story of a teenager who makes a rash decision that drastically alters her fate and how she navigates her new reality.

Looking Forward-My grand experiment in seeing if I can do a proper saga.  Longer, more characters, and a bit of experimenting with a more first person writing style.  Basic synopsis: Some people could see that the Star League and Terran Hegemony was heading for crises.  So they put a plan in place to ensure that the Cameron dynasty would endure.  Toward that end they successfully modified an M5 Caspar as a last resort.  While they did not know what the exact nature of the crises would be their efforts still paid off leading to the survival of Helena Cameron.

The Scorpion and the Cage Honestly not sure what I was even going for in this one anymore.  Do not expect any follow up.

Book of the Fallen California Nebula Star Empire shenanigans. Unfinished.  I think I've just been away from Star Wars fanfic writing too long and at least trying to make more grounded characters than the Fallen Angels.  Plus it does not help I am only responsible for the creation of one of the Fallen Angels.  The rest are the creations of others.  So I am super unlikely to ever revisit either the Star Empire or the Fallen Angels.

You Can Never Go Home Again California Nebula Toreel shenanigans.  I admit I fell into a lot of self imposed traps, going way too hard on the high end magic way too soon.  Revisit odds are also really low as I am rather convinced I cannot entirely avoid those sorts of self imposed traps.

Universal Truths  Yes I know the actual title is something different but this wound up being a complete re-do of Universal Truths in the end and a lot of it worked a lot better for it.  If I can ever figure out what to do with the models maybe I'll come back and do a final version of this story.

Weapons of War Saga Yup.  Been forgetting to update this for a while.  So I was wrong about writing something else first.  But I somehow don't think anyone is gonna complain.  Now for a more serious short synopsis.  The Epic Saga of Helena Cameron and her AI family.  Started as a solo project then me and Cannonshop wound up doing a thing and it is now a collaboration/crossover with his Great Captain Roberts stories.

Weapons of War Saga Concludes  Our epic saga of Helena Cameron finally concludes.

Beyond Hope-Cannonshop being gracious enough to let me play in his Ngoverse with him.
« Last Edit: 19 March 2024, 18:01:30 by monbvol »

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
Re: A directory for Monbvol's Madness(story index)
« Reply #1 on: 21 June 2022, 18:49:31 »
Excellent idea, and not just because of my sig block!  :thumbsup:

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #2 on: 28 June 2022, 13:49:48 »
So now that I've decided to bring Random Events to a close time for me to offer some of my thoughts about it.  I think I did manage a bit better than usual with having a larger cast than I normally do without it getting too diluted or losing as much focus as I usually do but I still think I need to do better with that before I start experimenting with Grand Epic style stories.  Probably also needed to hint a bit better that Daniel was using the fact that Kevin was only watching certain people to his advantage and the plans that sprung up around that.  The other thing I think I did a bit better, yes there was magic and it was pretty potent, but I think I did a lot better with not letting it dominate the story like I tend to.  Still probably was a little much still but progress.  Last thought is I also feel a bit proud of myself for developing a proper villain.  Sure I have the odd antagonist but usually nothing that recurs through a story like this.  At least with any personality.

I don't know if I want to call that one a definitive version of the story but I do have real thoughts about making a sequel.  Part of me wants to wait to see what else Herb has gotten up to for the CNAZ before I make any firm decisions.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #3 on: 28 June 2022, 18:31:38 »
He's VERY focused on Syberia at the moment...  8)

HABeas2

• Grand Vizier
  • Major
« Reply #4 on: 28 June 2022, 18:46:25 »
Only because the CaliNeb sequel is already done and submitted. ;)

- Herb

ckosacranoid

• Lieutenant
« Reply #5 on: 28 June 2022, 21:36:24 »
But with us keep giving you ideas you made comments about getting your kitchen done? Do you ever get it done at all?

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #6 on: 28 June 2022, 21:59:56 »
The only kitchen that was being worked on that I can recall was two years ago and yes it got finished.

I have since moved twice.

HABeas2

• Grand Vizier
  • Major
« Reply #7 on: 29 June 2022, 01:48:18 »
But with us keep giving you ideas you made comments about getting your kitchen done? Do you ever get it done at all?

I still have a little bit of painting left to do... Then maybe I can move my fridge back into the kitchen, instead of the dining room, where it's been this whole time.

- Herb

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #8 on: 03 September 2022, 20:02:29 »
While it is still only in progress I have updated the index to include Statistical Distortions.  When I finish that one I expect to be back in this thread to offer a lot more of my own thoughts about it.

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #9 on: 16 September 2022, 17:13:05 »
Statistical Distortions is now done.  I feel like this one could have been one of my great stories if I just hadn't lost my wind there towards the end so to speak,  I feel like I let myself get off into silly harem anime land again a bit much but I am beginning to think that's one of my writing strong points.

Revisit odds: Rather unlikely as I feel like I need to challenge myself with different kinds of stories to try and make myself grow more as a writer.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #10 on: 16 September 2022, 19:06:36 »
It was good, even if short!  :thumbsup:

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #11 on: 23 September 2022, 22:23:02 »
Just a quick notification I've added a preliminary entry for Unforeseen Consequences.

I kind of feel like I'm trying to re-tell A Simple Life with this one.  Something I don't like doing but hopefully I have some ideas about how to make it a bit different.

mikecj

• Major
  • Veteran of Galahad 3028
« Reply #12 on: 28 September 2022, 13:15:13 »
Thank you!  I find your stories both fun and readable.
There are no fish in my pond.
"First, one brief announcement. I just want to mention, for those who have asked, that absolutely nothing what so ever happened today in sector 83x9x12. I repeat, nothing happened. Please remain calm." Susan Ivanova
"Solve a man's problems with violence, help him for a day. Teach a man to solve his problems with violence, help him for a lifetime." - Belkar Bitterleaf
Romo Lampkin could have gotten Stefan Amaris off with a warning.

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #13 on: 28 September 2022, 13:50:57 »
Glad you are enjoying.

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #14 on: 12 October 2022, 16:57:11 »
Now that I'm calling Unexpected Consequences done time for my wrap up thoughts.

I'm going to say it.  I think I was on to something there for a bit and it was going rather well.  But then the real life curve balls hit and it was everything I could do to manage a kind of lackluster ending.  If not for that I think it easily could have ended up there with some of my top tier works.  Still I feel like a reasonable self grade for it is 6.5/10.

Revisit odds:  Kind of low.  Few stories really gnaw at me to get right so to speak and despite how poor I feel the ending was it isn't really gnawing at me.  I don't want to get hopes up too much about a sequel story but if I am going to revisit this story that is more likely what I will do.

Which does give me a thought.  I have decided if people want to give their own thoughts and ratings on my works why not let them use this thread?

So yeah I'm going to open it up for such purposes.
« Last Edit: 12 October 2022, 17:02:27 by monbvol »

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
I am debating if I should also add A Different Perspective to the list.  Feels way too short and I'd then have to add some of my other shorter works to the list too.

But if people want me to add those to my index, or my other crossovers/AUs I can be convinced.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
I see no reason not to add it... and your other shorter pieces wouldn't be bad additions either!  :thumbsup:

cklammer

• Warrant Officer
What the use of your list if it is incomplete?

(Only you can answer that for yourself)

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
I see no reason not to add it... and your other shorter pieces wouldn't be bad additions either!  :thumbsup:

What the use of your list if it is incomplete?

(Only you can answer that for yourself)

Okay I added some more to the list.  I am still going to leave off the earlier versions of stories that I consider replaced by better versions of that story and my full AU conversion stories and the one crossover with said AU.  The AU stuff is mostly because I am wanting to figure out a lot of potential retcons for it.

As far as the use of this list?  Yeah I just need to be better at self promoting.

Plus I don't mind if people use this thread to review my works either.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
That all makes sense!  :thumbsup:

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
Yeah I feel like I'm getting to a good point to end book one of my Weapons of War saga soon and that made me realize I hadn't actually added an entry for it to the first post of this index.

Oversight corrected.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
Glad to see you getting more comfortable with the long form!  :thumbsup:

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
That's the weird thing to me.  It feels like I've failed on pretty much every front of what I was trying to do but one: tell a good story. 

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
That's the only one that really matters...  :)

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
I'm disappointed in Saga, I thought they're be more space ship battles.  :D
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
Soon is a relative value.  I have at least three scenes left in mind for book one I feel a need to complete and yes one of them is a space battle.

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
Time for a self review of Looking Forward-Book 1 of a Weapons of War Saga

I think I ultimately wound up screwing up the ending there and Helena's character development because I wanted the end of the story in Book 2 to be Helena's descendant standing against Alaric Ward in an ultimate showdown of ultimate destiny.

Which meant having to shoehorn the ending into something that could conceivably be close enough to how canon turned out.

Which yes I do want to commit to a Book 2.  But before I do that I think I may have to get Book 1 right.  Which means figuring out a better way to get to that ending without screwing up what I had built up to for Helena.

I'm also not sure I was consistent enough in portraying the kind of dynamic I wanted between Vicky and Helena.  In a way I do like what came out in that regard.

Self grade is 3/10 with it having the potential to be much higher if I hadn't screwed the pooch there at the end and squeezed in some more hot Warship on Warship action.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
Don't be so hard on yourself!  Of course you made mistakes... you're human.  We all do that.  But I really don't think you made so many to lower it to a 3/10.  You entertained more than one other person, so that's a win.  Take it.  Is there room for improvement?  Sure, but not 7/10 there.  I'd have put this in the 6-7/10 range on the plus side.  Your mechanics are good (better than a lot here on the forum), and again, you told a GOOD story.  AND you're willing to at least solicit feedback... now please take some and get back to writing!  :thumbsup:

DOC_Agren

• Major
I liked your last story...  I now want to know more of how you ended it..  Who knew what
"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
I think I am rating this first book so low because I got trapped by myself into an unsustainable end goal that required me to ham fist a lot of things there at the end and made me feel like I was overly contriving Helena's actions in such a way I was undoing some of her character development.

So I'm now thinking about what themes and end goals to support/retain because yeah I'm probably going to be re-writing this one.

I think I'll expand on this a bit more after some sleep.