Author Topic: Alternate Timeline with Thanks (Part 3)  (Read 10915 times)

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
Re: Alternate Timeline with Thanks (Part 3)
« Reply #60 on: 20 November 2023, 21:17:03 »
Nice update!  Do we have stats for the Forge?
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Not Dead Until I Say So
« Reply #61 on: 22 November 2023, 17:02:27 »
Nice update!  Do we have stats for the Forge?

I'm pretty sure it was the Hell's Horses version of the Legacy which in itself was a Clan copy of the Faslane, I'll work on stats for it this week (the original stats have been lost I think)

Small October update, you can call thank/blame Wrangler for getting me out of my slump and making me want to write this AU again

Castle Nautilus
Artu, Aurigan Collective
Periphery
6th October 3119

On the deep periphery moon of Artu in the Aurigan Collective engineers dug through the permafrost and earth for nearly a full month before they had finally come across a pair of armoured doors which had a massive Cameron Star engraved into them.  After recovering the DropShip Argo in deep space, they had spent time searching through the vessel’s archives which had pointed them to the moon world. To the Aurigan Collective Artu was a mining world with resources worth taking off but otherwise of little importance, a small population lived on four space stations which orbited Artu while the facilities on the moon were mostly automated with only a few thousand people making the surface their home.  Artu was one of fourteen moons which orbited a blue coloured gas giant which dominated the frozen skies.

It would take the Aurigan’s the better part of a month to gain access to the vault under the ground.  Inside they found a facility that went a dozen levels down and two entire brigades of armoured vehicles and BattleMechs all of Star League-era vintage and in pristine condition.  With the Aurigans presently relying on mercenary forces for their defences the equipment found will go a long way to strengthening the case for the small nation which was nestled between three other powers to remain independent.

SRJS Grumdale (Monolith-class JumpShip)
Uninhabited System
Raven Alliance, Periphery
17th October 3119

In an uninhabited system located within the Raven Alliance located roughly three quarters between Bell and Antallos an elite Draconis Combine assault team had encountered a Snow Raven supply convoy of five JumpShips heading towards Antallos the Combine forces had deployed several DropShips to interdict the JumpShips. The DCMS DropShips were hovering near the JumpShips their weapons locked onto their targets one-by-one the DropShips would dock with their targeted JumpShips and board them.

Onboard the SRJS Grumdale Draconis Combine marines boarded the JumpShip through one of the clear DropShip docking collars due to the general tight confines of a standard JumpShip the Draconis Combine marines wore standard armoured space suits which were sealed in case of a hull breach. The twenty marines floated or walked with magclamps into the loading bay taking up defensive positions the bay was empty other than several cargo containers.
Almost as soon as the marines had got on board the figures appeared from the both corners of the room below and above their position. Larger than standard human bodies these figures stood about seven feet high the suits had triangular helmets, mostly rounded armour, and thrusters on the legs, back and on extended helmet level thrusters. The suited troopers were armed with hand-held Mauser IIC Assault Pulse Rifles and they immediately began engaging their targets, the Combine troopers attempted to resist but their low velocity, mostly non-armour penetrating weapons (deployed to protect the ships from an accidental hull breach) struggled to damage the suits with only a few troopers having effective weapons.

On all the JumpShips hidden doors opened and weapons arrays began engaging the nearby DropShips. While they could not target the DropShips which had docked with their own JumpShip they could target the DropShips docked with other vessels. Even as the JumpShips engaged the DropShips more Power Armoured troopers exited the JumpShips traversing the vessels hull using thrusters boarding the Draconis Combine DropShips entering through the holes punched in the hulls by the hidden DropShip weapons.

With the DropShips damaged and boarded and the JumpShip boarding parties contained the Draconis Combine JumpShips jumped clear of the system abandoning their boarding parties ordering them to fight on. Following communications that they had been abandoned reached the marines and DropShips several of the DropShips immediately surrendered. With their escape ships surrendered and boarded the marines had little option but to surrender to the Snow Ravens with close to one hundred DCMS personnel captured in total. Scans from the DCMS JumpShips showed that the Snow Ravens had removed one of the DropShip collars from each of the JumpShips to add additional weapons, targeting systems and heat sink systems combined with the new Power Armour design this would make the commercial JumpShips a more difficult target for raiders in the future.

Trial of Possession
Stewart, Wolf Empire
23rd October 3119

In a Trial of Possession between Clan Wolf and Clan Sea Fox the system of Stewart changes hands with Clan Sea Fox defeating Clan Wolf for Possession over the world. The Wolves put up a light defence with the Sea Foxes winning but allowing the Wolves to remove several assets from the world.  The Sea Fox victory gives the Clan a trade world within Wolf space and another point on their network of trade worlds which were located throughout the Inner Sphere and Clan realms.
« Last Edit: 10 January 2024, 23:13:27 by Dragon Cat »
My three main Alternate Timeline with Thanks fan-fiction threads are in the links below. I'm always open to suggestions or additions to be incorporated so if you feel you wish to add something feel free. There's non-canon units, equipment, people, events, erm... Solar Systems spread throughout so please enjoy

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,20515.0.html - Part 1

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,52013.0.html - Part 2

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,79196.0.html - Part 3

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs
« Reply #62 on: 23 November 2023, 03:21:37 »
Great update :) The Raven's armour sounds like my Skua PA(L)

Ghost Bears: Cute and cuddly. Until you remember its a BLOODY BEAR!

Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs - https://thezhukovau.wordpress.com/

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #63 on: 23 November 2023, 09:30:29 »

Lol!  WHen I saw this with the hatchet, I though it was a hockey stick. (it's morning here, don't blame me.)

I'm pretty sure it was the Hell's Horses version of the Legacy which in itself was a Clan copy of the Faslane, I'll work on stats for it this week (the original stats have been lost I think)

Small October update, you can call thank/blame Wrangler for getting me out of my slump and making me want to write this AU again

Yay, blame!

Side note, I've been taking all the old ships and re-stating theme so their usable on MegaMek with Mr. Dragon Cat's approval.   Archiving every chapter, hoping to make them available on the wiki and in PDF/E-Pub form.   Eventually.  (Looks at Willis says  "I'm doing this one! Lol")
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #64 on: 23 November 2023, 12:55:17 »

It was I forgot to credit apologise
My three main Alternate Timeline with Thanks fan-fiction threads are in the links below. I'm always open to suggestions or additions to be incorporated so if you feel you wish to add something feel free. There's non-canon units, equipment, people, events, erm... Solar Systems spread throughout so please enjoy

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs
« Reply #65 on: 25 November 2023, 05:47:39 »
Lol!  WHen I saw this with the hatchet, I though it was a hockey stick. (it's morning here, don't blame me.)
Yay, blame!

Its a Boarding Gaff, think vibro-poleax, its designed to cut through hull plating and bulkheads. :D
Ghost Bears: Cute and cuddly. Until you remember its a BLOODY BEAR!

Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs - https://thezhukovau.wordpress.com/

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #66 on: 28 November 2023, 05:48:23 »
The intention of this update is to show the scale of the agreements that were made during the First Star League and can now be made with the Second Star League. And other stuff that's happening elsewhere. We're almost in December in reality and December 3119 is almost finished as well so I'll post that soon.

Parlimentary Discussion
Atreus, District of Marik
Free Worlds League
5th November 3119

“Deals like this have been done before” Ambassador Rebecca Sharangovic said as she addressed the gathered parliament “during the Clan Invasion the Free Worlds League provided weapons…”

“Nothing has been proposed like this before!” Senator Elias Hartman responded “Madam Ambassador, the Free Worlds League waited decades for payment yet the Federated Suns want upfront payment for this deal.”

“They want payment for the first batch due to construction already beginning on these assets.  The Federated Suns will build these assets regardless of our decision; however, they are giving us the option to get ahead of the game and purchase these before they enter Federated Suns service.”

“We should just build our own” Dietrich Newall said as the representative of Ionus with its shipyards this was not a surprise.

“We do not have time, this parliament tasked me with finding a contractor willing to produce a vessel to be directly attached to the Marik Protectors Brigade because we do not have the resources or time to develop and produce a ship up to the task ourselves.” Sharangovic said swiping a loose strand of grey hair from her face “through the Star League, I have secured us this deal.” She said trying to appeal to the parliament’s senses, yes they would be supporting a rival succession state but this support would bring much needed military resources into the Free Worlds League.

“I believe the Parliament was expecting something from our long term or known allies.” Captain-General Lester Cameron-Jones suggested speaking up for the first time in a while, he had been against going externally the buy WarShips but the Parliament had out voted him, now he felt vindicated by his opposition as they would be directly funding the Davion military machine.

Lester Cameron-Jones had not intended on opening this door, but as he had Sharangovic decided to take advantage “assuming you mean our Kaptyn “allies” allow me to summarize. The Draconis Combine faces enemies from five separate sources while the Capellan Confederation was part of the attacking forces which conquered Oriente.” She reminded everyone, there was a quiet angry murmur which travelled around the Parliament Chamber and the Captain-General Cameron-Jones looked uncomfortable. She let him squirm for a moment then decided to bail out the younger noble “however if you meant the Star League Defence Force, they were our first point of contact. Unfortunately, the SLDF continues to build its own navy in an effort to hold the Wolves at bay. It was in fact the Star League Ambassador to Atreus Angelica Hawker who directed us to Federated-Boeing...”

“A FEDRAT COMPANY!” Someone in the Parliament cursed interrupting her.

“Yes, the company is based in the Federated Suns, but as an allied nation in the Star League and one that currently shares not a single border with us, they are not a threat to the Free Worlds League and they are willing to assist us!” She called back angry at the interruption.

“What about the Davion over the other border from us? They aren’t going anywhere.” Another called out Rebecca Sharangovic recognised the dark-skinned man with long dark hair tied back as Duke Lieke Modiba the leader of the world Kosciusko.

“Duke Modiba, the Lyran Archon has made a concentrated effort to distance herself from her father’s name. House Steiner faces a greater threat to its security than us that of the multiple Clans beating at their border.” She said attempting to allay his worries and not take the debate away from their deal with a Federated Suns company. “The government of the Federated Suns has agreed for us to approach Federated-Boeing and the company has agreed to supply us with fifteen Robinson Block II-class Transports. They are also willing to modify the design to our requirements should we have any beyond the main design, for example change the weapons to match those manufactured here in the Free Worlds League to make maintenance easier.” She explained the Robinson-class Transport was a support design used to assist in the rapid deployment of ground forces to a planet. The Free Worlds League wished to integrate them into the Marik Protectors Brigade much as the Federated Suns had with their Ceti Hussars Brigade giving the units their own built in WarShip support and a chance of air superiority with every deployment. “If we wish to modify the WarShip our decision must be made immediately or there will be delays in the deployment of the first three vessels. Should we decide to accept the design as it is then we will receive them within months allowing for operational trials and travel to the Free Worlds League.”

“Why can we not build a Thera-class vessel to match its capabilities? We have the technology and a hull design that is native to the Free Worlds League which would be more than capable of supporting our premier Brigades.” Ambassador Will Gorski representing Ionus suggested a murmur especially from within the District of Marik worlds went around the room.

“No” Captain-General Lester Cameron-Jones said as the murmur continued “we discussed this already. The Thera is a Carrier designed for combat in space, its weapons array and fighter deployment bays are deigned specially for that task.” He said using the words which had been used in a previous meeting of Parliament, he also did not want money and manpower being funnelled into a District which was not his own, “with the loss of Oriente and possibly more importantly Fletcher with its small shipyard facilities we have a gap in our production capabilities. Purchasing ships, it was agreed by this Parliament that this was the best way to fill this gap until we can build more facilities in more secure systems.” He said glossing over his own intentions by reminding them all of the loss of a shipyard along with Oriente, which he considered a failure of the entire Free Worlds League, unfortunately there was no way to defend Free Flight from the Capellans and Magistracy.

“Captain-General if I may?” District-General Anastasia Legend the leader of the District of Lesnovo asked formally even going as far to activate her light looking for attention unlike the other representatives and leaders who had spoken.

“Please” Cameron-Jones said surrendering the floor for her to speak.

“My military leadership has concerns regarding the loss of Fletcher, they had deals with Free Flight that they wish are honoured…”

“That is a discussion that your pets will have to take up with the Capellan Confederation, not something that this Parliament will engage in.” Cameron-Jones said cutting her off speaking of the Smoke Jaguars who resided within the District of Lesnovo, Anastasia Legend was not a member of the fragment of Clan Smoke Jaguar that survived on the Free Worlds League’s periphery but was angered by his a derogatory to refer to them.

“So, they can approach the discussion themselves should they desire?”

“And no doubt buy a bullet in the process” he replied in an answer not saying yes or no intentionally he would not authorise the Jaguars to go to Fletcher but he also would not try to stop them the Clan which had survived in the Free Worlds League had a strong following in the District of Lesnovo with many native Free Worlds Leaguers seeing them as the District’s way to power within the Free Worlds League. Even with the recent disappearance of the Smoke Jaguar’s Khan they were gaining power at a frightening speed, and with many with the Free Worlds League simply ignoring them as a fragment of a dead Clan.

“Thank you”

“Captain-General, I need an answer from this body, will we progress with the deal with the Federated Suns and accept the deal to purchase fifteen Robinson Block II-class Transports? And will they be modified to suit our needs?”

The questions were put to the Free Worlds League Parliament and it was agreed that the fifteen ships would be purchased from the Federated Suns with the first three to be delivered before July 3120. Initially the ships would be accepted as standard Robinson Block II-class Transports however the deal with Federated-Boeing accepted that should there need to changes to the design then there was room for modifications over the length of the production run.

Trade Deals
Taurus, Taurian Concordat
Periphery
14th November 3119

With the assistance of the Clan Watch and the Merchant Caste Star Captain Kev Rosse of Clan Nova Cat had spent nearly two weeks on Taurus before his presence had been reported to the authorities. For months the Nova Cats traders had been welcome within the spaceport’s international zone for trades making deals with the Taurians who were passing through, they had been restricted to deals within the Spaceports jurisdiction but it was a start. Kev Rosse had remained with the Nova Cat traders making no effort to cause any trouble for the Taurians and so instead of acting against the Nova Cat officer the Taurians had decided to intercept him and confirm what was going on.

During the negotiations Star Captain Kev Rosse had watched the Nova Cat and local negotiator speak from the corner of the small grey room located in a store room in the Taurus City Spaceport when a woman twenty years Kev’s senior entered, she was obviously a military officer and wore the brown and gold uniform, with a red tunic and white gloves of a Taurian officer of high rank. The two negotiators stopped briefly but she waved them on instead she walked around the small room leaning against the wall beside the Nova Cat warrior.

“Star Captain?” She asked watching the now two nervous negotiators.

“Aff, Kev Rosse” he responded quietly

“I am Marshal Carol Trenouth, Taurian Defence Force I am the commander of Corps I, it is nice to meet you, shall we take a walk?” She asked him. “We will allow the negotiators to continue their work.”

“Aff” he nodded agreeing with her, off world traders were allowed to walk around the spaceport’s grounds if they did not enter the buildings unescorted.

Outside the air on Taurus was a temperate but over populated world during the years the Taurians had built heavy industry on the world to support the Taurian Concordat this had led more and more people to move to the system looking for work which had led to more and more being built on the world.

“When we found out about you on this world your presence here was unexpected” she said as they walked “the last time Nova Cat military forces came to this system it was not in a friendly capacity.”

“Our Clan has not always treated your realm with honour” Rosse admitted “I am here to observe our traders’ dealings with your people and make sure that they are treating you with honour and respect.” He said explaining his presence “it will not make up for what we have experienced in the past but it is a small strep.”

“Your traders have caused no problems since being allowed to trade here, but your Clan is still seen as a threat to our nation.” She admitted he had been willing to admit issues in the past she would do the same. “Please Star Colonel, your role as a… “supervisor” for your traders appears to be for lack of a better term overkill.”

“I go where our Khan orders.” He said trying to sound convincing by his words, sending a Star Commander or a Star Captain would have made more  sense instead of someone of his rank and position. There was no honour to be won watching traders make deals. “We are not a threat to you, our Clan has re-evaluated our future threats and are taking actions to counter them.” He said giving little away “we do not presently believe that the Taurian Concordat has any hostile intentions towards our Clan and as such are taking no actions against you.”  Anyone could see that the Nova Cats shared a border with the Federated Suns who were a threat and to the Snow Ravens who often worked with the Nova Cats.

“We are still your neighbours, you are being very open with us considering we were last on the opposite side of you on the battlefield.” She replied pointing out “we do not want another war with your Clan, but you can understand our wariness when a Clan Nova Cat Colonel successfully sneaks onto our capital?” She  asked he nodded in response “perhaps we can be trading partners should these deals continue but Clan Nova Cat will have to be more open with the Taurian people about what they are bringing to our world.”

“Aff” Rosse agreed “in an effort to show this openness” he said suddenly stopping bringing a radio up to his lips “release” he said simply. From the Outpost-class DropShip which the Nova Cats had used to come to Taurus one of the doors opened as they watched two brown and yellow camouflage SM1 Tank Destroyer hovercraft exited the DropShip and screamed towards them.

“What is this?” Carol demanded reaching for her emergency radio but she caught Kev’s eyes and stopped seeing the look he gave her. She looked at the Nova Cat DropShip and saw no more vehicles or Mechs had left the craft and she hesitated “explain this now” she demanded angry at the Clansmen’s actions she could imagine that the control tower was rushing to direct defenders towards the DropShip and hovercraft.

“These are for the Taurian people” he said as the two craft slowed beside them, nearby spaceport defences were rallying having detected the two unauthorised craft on the ground.

“A bribe?” Carol asked looking at the two fifty-ton hovertanks both carrying huge central autocannons and multiple machine guns. Behind them she saw two Marshal BattleMechs turning around one of the hanger buildings.

“Neg, we want you to do nothing for these vehicles, in fact you already have acted allowing us to come to this world.” He said as the Marshals continued to close on their position several missile carriers were also moving into position. “These are an acknowledgement from my Clan to your nation that we do not have to be enemies and they are payment for you allowing us access to your trade markets.” Kev Rosse explained “Clan Nova Cat wishes to show it knows who its true neighbours and enemies are.”

“Frak, you could have warned us!” She said angrily grabbing her radio “this is Marshal Trenouth security patrol to Condition Two maintain distance and monitoring, no hostile actions from Clan vehicles.” She ordered lowering the radio turning back to Kev Rosse “Two hovercrafts will not change the perception of the Taurian people or its leadership, nor will this stunt we do not take kindly to surprises.”

“They are not intended to make the peace instantly Marshal. We never expect to be your friends, you are of the periphery, you fought against our Star League ancestors and you would resist any attempt for a Clan that becomes ilClan to be your overseer, Quiaff?” He asked he was using some terms that Carol was unfamiliar with but she nodded hating the idea that someone would rule over her realm. “Exactly, Clan Nova Cat and the Taurian Concordat have differing priorities for the future and believe there will be different outcomes to the wars that are coming, perhaps we will be enemies again at some point but perhaps we also have the same enemies.” He said pausing for the moment “there is an old Clan saying ‘the enemy of my enemy is my friend’” he joked smiling knowing fine that the saying was older than spaceflight itself, it belonged to anyone and everyone “perhaps that will be true for our people and yours in the future.”

Elsewhere on the worlds of Tukayyid, Tamar and Lothan in the Clan Occupation Zone on the other side of the Inner Sphere Clan Nova Cat opened new trade opportunities offering all of the Clans an opportunity to trade for or trial for dozens of second line BattleMechs which the Nova Cats had produced and held in reserve. These Mechs are all of the same model a recently developed and tested Shadow Cat IV model which is a standard BattleMech based on the successful Shadow Cat III OmniMech. For the trade market the Nova Cats have produced four variants of the Shadow Cat IV which are based on configurations of the OmniMech predecessor with one key difference instead of the Ferro Fibrous armour seen on the Shadow Cat III the IV models have laser reflective armour which showcases the new type of armour recently perfected by Clan Nova Cat.

High Orbit, Spacestation Key
Lothario, District of Lothario
Free Worlds League
20th November 3119

With the Clans on the move from several directions in orbit over the world of Lothario the Free Worlds League brings online a new shipyard capable of building assault DropShips, this is added to the JumpShip facilities already by the present. With the District lacking their own WarShip production facilities the small shipyard owned by the Stroud family is seen as the literal “Key” to solving this issue. Unfortunately, full WarShip production is seen as being at least a decade away.
« Last Edit: 10 January 2024, 23:14:16 by Dragon Cat »

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #67 on: 04 December 2023, 17:31:23 »
Trials of Possession
Freedom, Isle of Skye
Lyran Commonwealth
8th December 3119

Following successful Trials of Possession conducted by Clan Coyote against six Rasalhague Dominion systems and the successful seizure of Yed Posterlor, Baxter and New Wassen Clan Coyote surprise everyone with an early morning assault on the Isle of Skye system of Freedom which was defended by a combined Lyran Commonwealth, Star League Defence Force, and mercenary force. The Coyotes deploy their entire Coyote Prime Galaxy supported by an entire star of WarShips, a rare mass deployment for the Clan which usually deployed its WarShips in single deployments.

While the world of Freedom was on the border of Clan Wolf it was not seen as a priority target of the Clans as Clan Coyote and the Rasalhague Dominion which were two Warden Clans while the Jade Falcons and Hell’s Horses were more interested in charging deeper into the Isle towards Hesperus II and Skye itself.

At and near the main system jump points a pitched battle between defending and attacking WarShips breaks out as soon as the Coyotes attack. Four WarShips jump into the Nadir point ambushing the two SLDF WarShips based there, in a mass attack with fighters, DropShips and weapons from the WarShips themselves. In the attack an Essex-class Destroyer, the SLS Loch Lomund, and a Dante II-class Frigate, the SLS Hamburg are overwhelmed by the attacks with both ships destroyed. As the four WarShips move to secure the Zenith point the Coyotes Potemkin-class Troop Cruiser along with a dozen JumpShips enters the system carrying the ground forces. During their defence of the planet the Lyran and SLDF forces have destroyed the Spirit of the Sky, a Liberator-class Cruiser, crippled a second WarShip and heavily damaged two others while securing the main jump points.

The ground-based defenders have two-and-a-half days to prepare for the onslaught from Clan Coyote’s armada which has almost four dozen DropShips and the Potemkin-class Troop Cruiser Cordoba.  Duke Everett Gunther the leader of Freedom orders all Lyran aerospace assets to stop the invaders deploying two wings of aerospace fighters and six DropShips, the 208th Hussar Regimental Brigade’s commander General Amelia-Rose Knott advises against throwing everything at the incoming Clansmen but agrees to support the Lyran defenders sending two more aerospace fighter wings to join the Lyrans. Of the four mercenary commands on the planet only the Wolf’s Dragoons Alpha Regiment has enough aerospace fighters to be of any use in supporting the fight, the Dragoons who are under Lyran contract agree to support the defence of the planet. On the planet Duke Gunter calls for support from the Isle of Skye and the SLDF.

---

If it were possible, it looked like you could step from one aerospace fighter to the next in the space near to Freedom.  “Dragoons and SLDF forces you have the heaviest fighters, you will launch a strike and open up the wings, this will hopefully allow our DropShips to get to the WarShip and their DropShips and blunt this invasion before it begins.” Admiral Griedge Tylinski the Lyran commander ordered the aerospace fighters with them.

“Admiral, once again the Wolf’s Dragoons protest this in the strictest terms, we are under contract not cannon fodder.”

“You Dragoons should have thought about that when you didn’t deploy a WarShip to the front-lines!” Tylinski commented “the attack goes ahead as ordered, punch us a hole Major Koslov, punch us a hole and the assault DropShips, yours included, can make a difference in this fight.” The Lyran said, the Dragoon fighter pilots were angry at being up front with the SLDF troops while the house troops who were defending their own territory took up the rear with the DropShips. The fact was the strategy was sound the Lyran fighters were lighter and suited for close in dogfighting which would take place once the two forces had met, the SLDF and Dragoon fighters on the other hand were configured for strike missions intending on causing as much damage as they were able knocking down as many enemies down as possible.

Lieutenant Derek McClean was a pilot of the Wolf’s Dragoons and flew a Clan built Scytha Heavy Fighter, the ninety-five-ton aerospace fighter had been captured from Clan Smoke Jaguar during the Battle of Luthien and several pilots had flown the aircraft in the last fifty years.  His aerospace fighter had been configured in the alternate B configuration with five large pulse lasers up front he bore down on one Coyote fighter burning it from stem to stern with green pulse laser fire destroying the craft. He then spun his craft to the port engaging another craft as it flew past, he could barely tell the models he was firing only that his targeting systems were identifying them as hostile. The furball had disrupted the lines of the Coyotes enough that the Lyran fighters and DropShips were now moving in, an egg-shaped Excalibur-class Pocket WarShip moved through the middle of the Lyran formation heading straight for the Potemkin accelerating beyond the Lyran fighters and DropShips. “What the hell are they doing!” He called out turning to join the charge which was most likely going to be a suicide charge. “Breaker One, what are they doing?”

“Unknown Four…” his flight leader began to reply before the Lyran channel broke over all frequencies as the Excalibur’s missile launchers fired. The Excalibur Pocket WarShip was configured with six capital missile launchers.

“All allied units: Vitas, I repeat VITAS!” Someone McClean guessed was on DropShip called out on his HUD the Scytha’s computed recognised the command as one agreed with the Lyrans before the battle began. VITAS was a code for a nuclear launch order.

“Oh my god…” McClean whispered his eyes transfixed on the missiles as they flew towards the Potemkin, the Troop Cruiser engaged the DropShip at the same time with multiple naval particle cannon shots. The capital man-made lighting shots lit up the space in between the two ships and the Excalibur was shredded in a second, no-one on board would have had a chance to evacuate. McClean was not watching the Excalibur though instead even as his Scytha was targeted by missiles itself he had his eyes on the six capital missiles burning towards the Potemkin. The two Kraken Telescopic Capital Missiles struck their target first causing heavy armour damage but they were not the missiles that would deliver the real blow, moments after the Kraken hits all four missiles following them slammed into the hull of the Potemkin.
Nuclear warheads while rarely used in ground combat and controlled by multiple weapon conventions in space there was no such restrictions. This was due to the weapons not having a huge blast radius or leaving radioactive residue for decades afterwards due to the lack of atmosphere, instead the multiple impacts channelled their destructive force through the remaining armour on Potemkin and into the ship. Nuclear weapons were known as WarShip killers and rightfully so the explosive blasts hit the atmosphere inside the ship and lit the entire 1.5 million tonne WarShip up from stem to stern. Along its entire 1.5 kilometres of length parts of the ship were being blown clear of his huge rounded hull as the explosions tried to escape the metal hull. “Oh my god…” McClean continued to repeat looking at the dying WarShip, he had not even known that the Lyrans had nuclear weapons.

“MCCLEAN! PILOT YOUR FRACKING FIGHTER!” Simone Montour shouted through his comms snapping him out of his shock he saw his fighter had taken several missile hits but its heavy armour had protected him he spun his aerospace fighter along its axis and boosted away from the dying Potemkin.

“Did you see that?” He called back heading back to the other fights the destruction of the WarShip had shocked both sides into a general retreat.

“We all saw it McClean” Koslov said speaking up for the others “we now have to hope they haven’t made a mistake; we took heavy losses in this fight; we have the forces on planet to hold them for months.” He said within hours Koslov was proven correct as the Canis Latrans, a massive Mississippi-class Battleship which had been damaged in the initial fight but was still fully operational, boosted from the jump point.

With the Coyotes offensive blunted temporarily the Lyran, SLDF and mercenary forces prepare for a surge from the Coyotes when the Canis Latrans arrives. During the two days burn in the forces on planet learn that there will be no reinforcements coming into the system as two Mississippi-class Battleships of Clan Jade Falcon had jumped into the Gladius system and were threatening to burn towards the Isle of Skye’s only shipyard tying up the two Mjolnir-class Battle-cruisers based there. The two Jade Falcon WarShips do not have ground forces with them but their presence in Gladius is clearly one to tie up Lyran forces and threaten the shipyards in aid of Clan Coyote. It was impossible to know if this had been a preplanned move by the Falcons but it clearly is intended to tie up the naval defences and weaken the response that could be made towards Freedom.

Back in the Hell’s Horses Occupation Zone two Clusters worth of Hell’s Horses troops are transferred to Jade Falcon control both former Hell’s Horses units are picked up by JumpShip from the OZ and head straight to the Cameron system where they drop on top of the First Coventry Cuirassiers RCT. The two new Falcon clusters wishing to prove themselves throw their units straight into the well-prepared Coventry unit which has a three-regiment strong brigade of armour waiting for them. The Horde clusters were designed to cause trouble for these units moving quickly and in between armour units the Hell’s Horses despite having many vehicles themselves use inferno rounds and flamers to great effect causing heavy damage. While it may sound almost foolish the now former Hell’s Horses armour warriors know that their time as warriors might be short-lived as the Falcons do not respect armour crews like the Hell’s Horses.

While this does not appear linked to the ongoings in the Freedom system Lyran Intelligence Command (LIC) learn through Clan Sea Fox that the Hell’s Horses agreed to send troops to the Jade Falcon Clan in exchange for the plans to the Coyotes newest OmniMech the Sojourner, a mobile sixty-ton battle line design. The Sea Foxes are willing to broker the information with the Lyrans because the Coyotes had cut them out of the trade of the new OmniMech and had rebuffed their attempts to gain control of the design.

On the morning of the fourteenth the Canis Latrans approaches Freedom along with a protective screen of DropShips and fighters. The Lyrans and their allies rise to meet them once more but unlike the commander of the Potemkin-class Troop Cruiser the commander of the Mississippi-class Battleship takes no chances and engages the DropShips and fighters with everything at its disposal at the longest ranges possible. The engagement is extremely one sided with the Inner Sphere forces unable to close on the Battleship and stop the ground forces at the same time.

With an entire galaxy streaming to the ground things go from bad to worse as the Coyotes broadcast to the planet below that the nuclear attack against the Morning Star required a ransom to be paid. They broadcast planet-wide that the main planetary spaceport and the Duke’s personal estate were forfeit along with everything on those grounds and that everyone at these places had eight hours to evacuate before they would be destroyed. One minute to the eight hours mark the Canis Latrans moved over the planetary spaceport and blasted it from space with its naval particle cannons, the huge battleship then moved over the Duke’s residence and flattened it from orbit. The explosions from the two strikes are seen for several kilometres in several direction, following the assault the battleship informs the planet below that it will not commit further attacks against the planet itself unless it is attacked.’ The year would end with Freedom being an embattled world with both sides attempting to reinforce their position with neither able to establish superiority.

System Defence Station One
Moon of Tybalt, Terra Firma
Liberty EDZ, Star League Protectorate
17th December 3119

It was impossible for the Titan shipyards to produce enough Casper WarShips for every system of the Star League Protectorate instead the Star League Protectorate defences was being pursued from a second angle. With worlds that had lesser threats towards them the Casper II system was being deployed it consisted of moon-based stations and space stations both of which could launch drone small craft which would provide support for planetary defences and a nasty surprise for enemy forces.

On the airless moon of Tybalt, the Star League Protectorate Defences had built a base capable of supporting two hundred personnel, a squadron of Dragau DropShips and eighteen Cockatrice Drone Small Craft while in orbit of the moon a Drake System Defence System (SDS) Control Station would extend the range that the drones could be deployed. Near Tybalt the SLS Wasp, a Potemkin-class Troop Cruiser, which was controlling the station coming online while its support ships the SLS Balder Viking and the SLS Ethan Allen making the final touches to the Drake and delivering the drones that would be based there. The additions of the Drake, Dragau and the Cockatrice gave the Terra Firma Casper II fleet more teeth than previously Casper II fleets. To further reinforce the Terra Firma defences naval weapon emplacements on Tybalt were planned as were more Drake stations and additional fighters, small craft, and DropShips.

Trial of Possession
Ferris, Raven Alliance
Periphery
21st December 3119

From New Barcella the Fourteenth Nova Cat Vision Cluster had travelled through the periphery to the world of Ferris in the Raven Alliance where the Snow Ravens and the native company United Outworlders Corporation had constructed a factory capable of producing the fifty-five-ton Wusun OmniFighters. When they had arrived in the system the Nova Cats had requested and they were granted safcon which had allowed them to land on the world unmolested.

Once on the planet Star Colonel Lucian Nova Cat had met with Star Colonel Ryuzo Shu the Elemental commander of the Eighteenth Raven Battle Cluster. Lucian had declared his intention to seize a production run of Wusun OmniFighters from the planet’s factory which Ryuzo had initially refused…

“That was until you, stupid idiot agreed to their Ransom” Lucian cursed himself running his Shadow Cat III OmniMech through the foliage on Ferris. The foliage was not normal trees instead while they were as tall as trees instead of brown wood and green or orange foliage these had completely black with blue, green, and purple bulbs which produced light.  “Well, you’re not getting me today” he cursed twisting the Shadow Cat’s torso and letting rip with the arm mounted LB 10X-AC equipped there blasting the chasing Wusun. The Raven Ransom was if the Nova Cats lost the battle, then the entire Fourteenth Vision would become a Snow Raven unit, while Lucian had been rejected at the Grand Melee his father had been a Nova Cat and his mother had brought him to the Clan from St Ives, it was his home.

Today he was going to defend his home and win the battle “One-One, to Command Star I’ve got a pair of Wusuns tracking me through the Blue Forest, status.” He asked realizing he had used a contraction after he used it. He had been separated from the lead Trinary when his star had been ambushed by an aerospace fighter star, he had ordered them to scatter and regroup but his path had brought him into an enemy vehicle unit and then more aerospace fighters.

“We are holding Star Colonel, Assault hit them full force at the same time as the Snow Tigers, the Ravens tried to counter us with fighters but we have them boxed.”

“Roger, I am…” he paused for a moment turning and blasting the lead Wusun with another salvo of autocannon fire, following up with lasers and then finally an SRM salvo as the two craft strafed overhead. Fire hitting the underside of the fighters brought one craft down and crippled a second. “two Wusuns out of the fight, I’m heading back.”

“Star Colonel…” his XO interrupted

“Frack it Jack, I am heading back” he repeated speaking properly “no-one gives a damn.”

“We care Star Colonel and so do you, remember that, things come around in their own time.” He said Jack was six years older than Lucian and a freeborn warrior like Lucian, unlike Lucian he did not have the blood that he had and would never have a chance to fight for a Bloodname.

“Roger” he answered running the Shadow Cat III back towards Nova Cat lines when he arrived, he entered at the far-right flank of the battle and saw the units were adhering to Zellbrigen, the Clan duelling rules. “This is Star Colonel Lucian to the Cougar; you are challenged to a Circle of Equals…” he said seeing an unengaged Snow Raven light OmniMech.

“Neg, let us end this Star Colonel Lucian, this is Star Colonel Ryuzo Shu you are so challenged.” A booming voice broke in leaping from the Cougar came five Elemental warriors quickly closing the distance between them.

“Accepted” Lucian said dodging his Shadow Cat III to the right leaning with his autocannon towards the Elemental point filling the air with munitions several of the brown Snow Raven suits were battered by autocannon pellets but they kept coming. As his Shadow Cat moved missiles impacted on the side and back of the OmniMech further damaging armour plates on the medium Mech’s back and left shoulder. Lucian twisted the Shadow Cat’s fleet while continuing to circle the Elemental’s position a Mech could easily run away from the Elementals but that would make the trial pointless. Instead, he allowed them to stay in range the autocannon clicked as it reloaded and he fired another salvo at the Elementals, as the autocannon munitions flew in on the Elementals while they leapt through the air trying to close on the OmniMech. At the crest of their leap another ten short range missiles launched from the suits heading for Lucian’s Mech, Lucian decided to throw off the Elementals by turning straight into the missiles ducking the head of the Mechs cockpit under the missiles. As he did his own short-range missiles locked on the battle armour point and the launcher sent its four missiles towards the Elemental point, he also pulled the trigger on the large laser which was built into the Mech’s torso. Due to the speed of the Shadow Cat Lucian had outfitted the medium design with an Improved Heavy Large Laser which was mounted above the missile launcher, heavy large laser was a double-barrelled laser, the opal laser tore through one of the Elementals tearing the trooper in half.

Now facing the remaining four Elementals Lucian braced seeing the suits land then launch into the air bringing them within range. Lucian reacted quickly as they closed with the right arm of the Shadow Cat III swatting one of the four battle armoured troopers out of the air sending it flying. The trooper slammed into the ground and flipped several times across the ground and did not get back up. The remaining three troopers latched onto the OmniMech and fired their arm mounted lasers to damage the Shadow Cat III’s armour. Inside the cockpit of the Mech Lucian tried to swat the Elementals using the OmniMech’s arm but did not hit any of the three troopers, instead of allowing them to continue to attack the Shadow Cat he brought the right arm across the OmniMech’s chest and threw the Mech forward rolling onto the ground over the arm. One of the scrambling Elementals were crushed under the forty-five-ton OmniMech’s sprawling form while the other two Elementals jumped clear. Lucian continued to roll his OmniMech bringing the legs back up under it and standing it back up, the roll had caused more armour damage but nothing critical, he brought the OmniMech back under control and spied the remaining two Elementals but before he fired on them, he saw that his comm. unit was active and he flicked the switch.

“Star Colonel this is Elemental Pacheco you just crushed Star Colonel Shu; you have won this Circle of Equals.”

“Elemental Pacheco I accept your surrender, you fought well and I claim you and your point mate as Isorla, you will serve Clan Nova Cat now.” He said seeing that the battle around them had almost grinded to a halt as the two Star Colonels fought, more Nova Cats appeared to be active than Snow Ravens and their commander was dead, the Nova Cats had secured victory, and the aerospace fighter production which was the goal.

Pirate Raid Aftermath
Sierra, District of Lothario
Free Worlds League
25th December 3119

On the world of Sierra near the border of the Cirincus Federation Phil Langenberg laid flat on the roof of the warehouse he was based on. Langenberg was a former twenty-year veteran Free Worlds League military trooper who had retired and returned to his homeworld joining the local militia as a weekend warrior to supplement his retirement funds. Now in the aftermath of the worse raid he had ever experienced he was probably the only remaining militia trooper and he believed it was his duty to the people of Sierra to gather as much information on the invaders as possible before they either left or they killed him.

On his rooftop he watched the victors at the spaceport through binoculars they had hit in the middle of the night with airstrikes against the local militia’s base which had flattened the Mechbay before a single BattleMech had been able to deploy. The raiders ground forces then had steamrolled into the local mercenary base and dispatched every member of The Green Resistance Battalion including their dependents wiping out the combined arms battalion.

Now Langenberg was watching as the pirates secured and stripped equipment from the space port and the nearby militia base. They appeared to have an entire Battalion of BattleMechs supported by vehicles, and aerospace forces. He had not seen a single aerospace fighter so he believed they had returned to orbit probably to a carrier DropShip as nowhere else on the planet had the defences nor the facilities to support their number. There was nothing special with the vehicles other than they appeared to be from manufacturers that were based across the Inner Sphere and from the Star League-era giving no indication of whom they belonged to.

The strange thing about these invaders were their BattleMechs, the tactics of overwhelming force was nothing new but this Battalion of invaders appeared to use only two designs of BattleMech both of which Langenberg classed in the assault category. There were units in the Inner Sphere like the Davion Assault Guards or the Lyran Royal Guards which were known to have entire regiments of assault machines but pirates rarely had more than a lance of the type of unit. The second strange thing was that he did not recognize either design after twenty years as an infantry trooper Langenberg thought he was familiar with the majority of the Inner Sphere and Clan designs but neither of these he could say for absolutely certainty that he knew where they were from.

The first and more numerous designs was a humanoid design with two boxy but agile looking legs supporting a torso which appeared to be split into three sections in the middle the chest almost looked like the figure “8” with a rounded lower part and a rounded upper chest which blended almost seamlessly with the rounded cockpit. From the just above middle of the “8” in were four missile ports but otherwise the central torso section appeared to lack weapons. On either side of this there were two rectangular side torso which extended from the waist to the shoulders extending beyond the central torso and curved over down the back of the Mech. Unlike the central section these side sections featured two weapon ports which extended from the torso which Langenberg had noted that they were probably medium lasers of some type. The right shoulder section of the torso sported a small turret which appeared to be an anti-missile system. Finally, from the right shoulder another laser extended from the arm’s structure while the arm itself held a large Mech sized sword while the left arm held a Mech sized shield. The BattleMech was like a variant of the Spartan BattleMech manufactured during the days of the original Star League but it was like no production model he had ever seen before.
While the first design was similar to something that Langenberg had seen before the second BattleMech was like nothing he had seen before. The design looked like it was around the same size as the first design but took a different approach, this design featured two heavily armoured legs with the armour angled off in multiple directions. Langenberg was no expert in armour design but he believed that the armour may be a form of stealth armour and he had made such remarks in his logs. These legs were connected to one angled box of a torso which extended forward of the Mech’s body the lower part had long angled armour slabs which angled upwards and supported the low-slung cockpit of the BattleMech. It was possible that the heavily armoured cockpit was even a torso mounded variant but Langenberg was sure that the plates of armour on the front of the design were armoured viewports meaning it was more likely a lower slung cockpit. On top of this cockpit was almost like an angled helmet of a ground trooper again like the leg and torso armour this was angled in various directions and looked like it was designed to deflect radar signals while also acting as the ships sensor suite. Finally, the torso featured what looked like a forward mounted ten-tube long range missile launcher over its left side. Both arms were of a similar design featuring the same angled armour as the rest of the BattleMech, the upper arm sections almost appeared like they had been applied in rectangular sections while the bottom of the arms both ended in full battle fists. Over the left wrist there were two large tubular weapon mounts they featured insulation piping and no obvious vents so Langenberg believed that they were some type of laser weapon probably of the large calibre. On the right arm, like the other arm, the rounded weapon was fitted over the wrist of the Mech and it took the form of a wider tube almost like a box with rounded sides the weapon appeared to have several capacitors attached to it leading Langenberg to believe it was a particle projection cannon of some type.

Neither of the Mechs had any insignia or numbers that Langenberg could make out and both designs featured standard forest/urban camouflage giving no clue to their origins. The only thing that Langenberg had decided was that these Mechs did not belong to the Cinincus Federation, they felt far better maintained and disciplined than anything he had encountered out of the nearby realm. He  also could not imagine any mercenary unit other than the Wolf’s Dragoons who could build such a unit so that only left the Lyrans, the Star League or one of the Clans but none of them had motives for striking Sierra. With the defenders destroyed and the planetary HPG disabled the invaders had full control over the local planetary region for nearly a week unlike most raiders they did nor pillage the town instead they only acted if anyone attempted to enter the spaceport. Following the week-long occupation, the pirates pulling out leaving the local population to try and recover from the stunning attack.
« Last Edit: 10 January 2024, 23:15:03 by Dragon Cat »

namar13766

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #68 on: 04 December 2023, 19:17:16 »
I’m guessing these are wolverines

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #69 on: 04 December 2023, 20:24:09 »
Eesh Freedom not going be much free for much longer.   I was hoping Coyotes would crash into the wreck of the Barcelona that supposedly still tumbling around that system.  Read that short story by marauder648 just recently again (just archived it)  I was bit confused if the Lyrans were at fault or they were right that Wolves then were pulling fast one.

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #70 on: 05 December 2023, 21:23:21 »
Eesh Freedom not going be much free for much longer.   I was hoping Coyotes would crash into the wreck of the Barcelona that supposedly still tumbling around that system.  Read that short story by marauder648 just recently again (just archived it)  I was bit confused if the Lyrans were at fault or they were right that Wolves then were pulling fast one.

Well given that the Wolves had two WarShips ready to jump in and slaughter the Barcelona I'd say it was a fast one but its also history so the victor gets to speak.

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #71 on: 05 December 2023, 21:42:56 »
Updated active unit stats end of 3119

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #72 on: 05 December 2023, 21:46:04 »
An updated map for the end of 3119

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #73 on: 06 December 2023, 13:38:43 »
Dragon cat, do you think you can possibly open a separate thread and attach the other years maps to them? Most of the old ones are essentially on ourbattletech.com

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #74 on: 07 December 2023, 18:21:21 »
Yup can do not tonight but I can

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #76 on: 11 December 2023, 08:52:10 »
Thanks!

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #77 on: 12 December 2023, 21:36:22 »
Nicely done updates
"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #78 on: 23 December 2023, 16:36:55 »
Despite my work with the maps through the years of this timeline I've also done a little writing

Into 3120 the start of a new decade

Avachinsky (Dove-class DropShip)
Freedom, Disputed System
Lyran Commonwealth
9th January 3120

Little equipment had been loaded onto the dozen DropShips that were evacuating the world of Freedom instead the ships were filled with mostly injured members of the Wolf’s Dragoons, the Star League Defence Force, and the Lyran Commonwealth. The evacuation was only possible due to the arrival of the Wolfpack a Wolf’s Dragoons Congress II-class Frigate, the WarShip along with six assault DropShips had launched a full strike against the Coyote Battleship Canis Latrans creating a distraction enough for the DropShips to evacuate with the wounded. On Freedom the remaining troops were fighting a battle in which they were losing ground hourly.

On the DropShip Avachinsky Lieutenant Ezekiel Crow of the 208th Hussar Regimental Brigade, laid on a gurney while they were evacuated. He had worked hard over the last nine years, since Liao, to make becoming and integral part of the 208th and now he was abandoning them. A nurse moved between the cots of the ship as it burned towards their waiting JumpShips. As soon as the Wolfpack had begun its attack the friendly JumpShips had arrived waiting to evacuate as many as they could. “Name soldier” she asked over the moans of the wounded.

“Ezekiel Crow, Lieutenant, 208th Hussar Regiment, Star League Defence Force” he replied

“Home planet?”

“Li… Liberty” he stuttered answering her question

“Don’t worry Lieutenant, we’ll have you out of here soon.”

“Have the navy arrived?”

“The Wolf’s Dragoons vessel Wolf Pack is assisting us, the SLDF and Lyran Navies have not arrived.” The nurse explained

“Why not?”

“Freedom does not have enough tactical significance, there are bigger systems that need protected.” She said giving the most basic of explanations, in truth the SLDF were assisting in defending the shipyards in the Gladius system, the factories on Glengarry and the factories on Hesperus II, additional WarShips including the First Lord’s escort group were enroute to Skye along with the Archon and current First Lord but the were still several jumps away from being nearly in a position to help and the troops on Freedom were running short on supplies while the Coyotes with their naval blockade had been able to bring in several additional clusters.

“Not even to evacuate us?” Crow wondered “isn’t that wrong.”

“It’s war son it’s never right.” She said moving on leaving Crow to wonder, he had reinvented his life and fought for the Star League Defence Force but they were ready to leave a system to the invaders due to its lack of industry and its position in the Inner Sphere.

While the DropShips carrying the injured did escape to their JumpShips the Wolf Pack was destroyed battling the Canis Latrans and the ground forces were abandoned to Clan Coyote’s control with the Wolf’s Dragoons Alpha Regiment, along with General Sean Dorran are killed to the man. In protest for the lack of action by the Lyran and SLDF navies the Wolf’s Dragoons Gamma Regiment activates an escape clause in their contract with the Lyran Commonwealth refusing further contracts with the state. Gamma Regiment return to their base on Outreach where despite the world now being under Star League stewardship the Dragoons still have significant training, construction, and recruitment facilities.
On Freedom the Fourth Isle of Skye Guards RCT and the Second Skye Jaegers are reduced in strength to less than four regiments of combined troops by the time they surrender while the two regiment’s worth of the SLDF’s 208th Hussars are also taken as prisoners as Freedom surrenders to Clan Coyote.

Star League Response, Office of the First Lord
Unity City, Court of the Star League
Terra, Star League Protectorate
17th January 3120

Rarely since the formation of this current Star League did the First Lord come back to Terra and use the official Office of the First Lord but the office had existed since the people of Terra had reopened Unity City and begun the renovation of the mighty city. Normally when the First Lord returned to Terra it was for one of the Whitting Conferences where a new First Lord would be elected to replace them but today was not one of those days instead Archon Jessica Steiner, the currently elected First Lord, had returned to Terra for a dual announcement.

Sitting at the desk of the First Lord which was really more of a Tri-Vid studio than a true working office with additional lights set around the room so it could be lit in any way they wanted. Jessica had decided against wearing the Lyran Commonwealth Armed Forces armed forces uniform, because that was not the only people she represented, and she would not wear the Star League uniform and dishonour the men and women who had fought under that banner. Instead, she had worn a stunning dress which changed colour between Steiner blue and Star League green depending on how the light hit it. She had directed the Tri-Vid directors of this message to change the lighting during the broadcast so her dress showed the Green of the Star League and Blue of House Steiner equally.

“Ladies and gentlemen, I am Archon Jessica Steiner the First Lord of the Star League. Today I remind our enemies that this Star League was created to protect the citizens of its members states and of those that live on worlds designated to be Protectorate worlds.” She said calmly “recent attacks by our neighbours have called into question this Star League’s strength. Today we say enough it enough, two full Star League Divisions are being deployed to the Isle of Skye along with full naval support. Our message to our neighbours is if you think you can continuously use your naval strength to attack us, we will respond in kind.”

She said pausing imagining how those words would hit for a moment, no one was alive today to remember the horrors of the early Succession Wars when naval strength and weapons of mass destruction were unleashed on a mass scale against the populations of the Inner Sphere. That was not what she was advocating but she also had to show that the Star League had steel. “Strength does not mean the reckless employment of firepower; the population of a planet should NEVER be the target of a nation’s ambitions. I will NEVER support or forgive a leader who employs weapons of mass destruction against a population centre whether it be on a planet or from the space around it, it will NEVER be acceptable.”

The warning would not be enough, she knew that, she and the other leaders of the Star League nations had discussed this, none of them would accept the position that words would be enough to send a message. “This Star League was not created to stop a nation’s ambitions nor was it intended of being employed as a peacekeeping force which would take away our traditions of marital spirit or contain our great military units but it was created to protect the Inner Sphere’s people from the Clans and from ourselves.” She said lingering on the word for several moments before continuing, time to wrap this up.

“Some of us have turned away from the Star League Defence Force and its principles, they have turned to isolationism and embraced the ideals of the past. It is an individual nation’s choice to decide the direction to take their nation in. We will not force a nation to join the Star League, but we will punish one that brings total war against civilian targets.” She said issuing her final warning, now for the promise “this morning in coordinated strikes by Star League members and the Star League Defence Force made retribution strikes against the Capellan Confederation for their actions in bringing war to the populations of Carbonis and Las Halles.” She announced, for the most part the attacks had come as a complete surprise in the Capellan Confederation but that was not the end of it. “This message goes to the Capellan Confederation Chancellor and to anyone who thinks we do not take attacks against Star League nation states seriously, attacks will continue until retributions are made for what you have done.”

Jessica Steiner had tried to sway opinions for such a campaign against the Clans but the actions of the Capellan Confederation on Carbonis and Las Halles had all but crippled both world’s ability to support their populations. Some of the Star League experts had put their recovery at decades, possibly longer, possibly never if the Capellan Confederation followed its standard practice of strip-mining border worlds to support its core industry. Instead, twelve systems had been targeted by the Free Worlds League, Federated Suns and Star League Defence Force by all accounts they had taken the mercenaries and militia forces by surprise and rolled over the defenders in nearly every system.

The largest battle had happened in the Vertabren system when three Star League Defence Force WarShips led by the SLS Truce of Tukayyid had led two Otey-class Battleships against the CCSS Chancellor’s Might, a Bain Cheng Wang-class Battleship, the CCSS Qetesh, a recently acquired Independence-class Escort Carrier, and the CCSS Mandarin, a Mandarin-class Battle-cruiser. During the battle the SLS Tukayyid a vessel which had served the original Star League before being held in reserve by ComStar during the Succession Wars, the vessel finally reactivated into Star League service in 3082 took fatal damage in a head-to-head pass forcing the Capellan WarShips to manoeuvre exposing the Chancellor’s Might’s flank to barrages from the two Otey-class Battleships which were enough to break the back of the mighty WarShip and end its fight. Neither the Qetesh or Mandarin had enough firepower to resist the two Battleships and both were destroyed.

In the Elnath system two Mandarin-class Battlecruisers are destroyed by SLDF forces at the cost of the SLS Makarov, an Indefatigable-class Battleship. The two ships concentrate on the command ship of the Second WarShip Squadron but they have nowhere near enough firepower or fighters to counter the DropShips and fighters of the Star League Defence Force.

Elsewhere near Capellan Confederation space the Free Worlds League on the world of Wisconsin Lord Simeon Simmerson announces that Hindmarsh, Fieferana, Mauripur and Al Jubaylah are joining Wisconsin and joining the Magistracy of Canopus following repeated disagreements with Lesnovo and Atreus over the presence of Clansmen specifically the Smoke Jaguars in the District of Lesnovo and Sea Foxes traders within the Free Worlds League, the Free Worlds League’s inability to liberate territory from the Wolves nor stop the Magistracy of Canopus gaining territory.

Intelligence Briefing
Buena, Buena Archonette
Alarion Province, Lyran Commonwealth
30th January 3120

Agent Aaron Price-Lewis walked into the office of Archonette Kelly Varnay the present leader of Buena and of the Buena Archonette which controlled the territory in the Lyran Commonwealth which bordered with the Mandrill Collective, the Cirincus Federation and Free Worlds League. “Aaron good to see you what do you have for me today?” She asked not standing on ceremony, Kelly Varnay was a military officer at heart and had taken on the position on Buena simply to ensure the region remained part of the Commonwealth, with support from Tharkad and then Carlisle waning the people needed to know that they had a leader who cared for them. Today she was dressed in a simple duty uniform but her slightly greying grey hair was worn down to her shoulders.

“News from Cirincus” he said, Aaron was in his mid-thirties he wore his brown hair longer than regulation and looked like he could do with a shave but what else could be expected from someone in the intelligence community.

“What are our pirate friends up to?” She asked, more often she was interested in the Fire Mandrills movements especially considering their recent actions had secured the Cruz Alta and Sarikavak systems from Buena defenders completely destroying the Fifth Buena Guards LCT using air superiority provided by their WarShips and attending DropShips, something Buena simply struggled to match. Varnay had applied to the province capital and to both co-capitals of the Lyran Commonwealth but so far there had been no definitive answer.

“It looks like their campaign in the Zeta Quadrant worlds is coming to an end quicker than expected, the mercenaries hired to cover that region are laying down arms. Apparently, there is a crack mercenary unit that has deploying companies of the same Mech to knock down defenders.” He explained

“The same company that has been hitting worlds in the Free Worlds League?” She asked having read the reports of four worlds in the Free Worlds League being struck by similarly equipped units.

“We believe so SAFE has only just arrived on Sierra where the most successful attack occurred, we will probably find out something from them in the next six months to six years.” He said only half-jokingly SAFE had never been classed as a first-rate Intelligence organisation and was not known for its speed. “Either way the Cirincans appear to be gaining the upper hand and securing their border.” He explained

“Do you think they will be willing to listen to my proposal?” She asked, she was struggling to gain support from any place of authority, none of them saw the threat that the Fire Mandrills posted. The Rim Collection was no-more the Clan now fully controlled by the Clan influences which had been allowed to settle there. According to briefings she had read there were as many as the remnants of five different Clans within the Collective all living under the Fire Mandrill banner each of them had been absorbed just like the Rim Collection, and what she feared would happen to the Buena worlds.

“They may, these mercenaries can only do so much your offer of weapons and materials I think would go a long way to building back up the Cirincus state.” He suggested “but it may also build a rod against our own back if they turn on us.”

“Agreed, but we have already stripped all manufacturing assets from Andrion and Baltazar III as well as all resources they could find useful.” She suggested, both worlds had small native populations she could not negotiate with their sovereignty but she needed the Cirincus Federation to act with them against the Mandrills to have any hope of resisting further occupation from the Clan force.

“True, but it is a pirate state just having the territory and population may be enough.” Price-Lewis said “that said your presence alone in the Cirincus Federation may be enough of an incentive for them to take action, they could capture you.”

“Hopefully it does not come to that” she said agreeing with him “I am taking the Maersk as part of my escort, that should stop them thinking about doing anything stupid.” She suggested it was only a Fox II-class Merchant vessel but at its core it was a WarShip and would provide superior firepower to any JumpShip.

“They are pirates, stupid is at their core.”

“Someone may suggest our actions fall into that category.” The Intelligence Agent cautioned knowing exactly how Tharkad and Carlisle would react when they found out about Kelly Varnay’s actions.

“If we do not do something then the Fire Mandrills will continue to spill over the border. We need to hit their supply lines and Cirincus has the access. I will not stand ideally by and let them win. The Clans do not do support structures, they will not defend their lines sufficiently enough to stop the Cirincans and if they do then we’ll eliminate Cirincus as a threat as a by-product.”
« Last Edit: 10 January 2024, 23:16:14 by Dragon Cat »

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #79 on: 23 December 2023, 21:53:01 »
Yay new decade! Looks like Archon / Star Lord taking a hard stance against Liao/Centrellas.  I'm curious if strong speech will be enough to save off them and the Clans coming for Terra.

Great Writing, Dragon Cat!

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #80 on: 01 January 2024, 17:28:01 »
After playing with some maps for a while it time to get back to proper writing. With a nice update from Marauder648 from the Hell's Horses included in this update (yes Marauder this is years old, I don't leave anything that people send me)

Border Conflict
Aurigan Collective
Periphery
2nd February 3120

The Aurigan Collective and Fronc Reaches come into conflict when the systems of Lost World and Aether choose to join the Aurigan Collective through democratic process over their current position within the Fronc Reaches. On both worlds the defences and mercenaries hired to support the Fronc Reaches government them attempt to resist but it becomes very clear that the local populations support the change in overall government and they withdraw into the Fronc Reaches. Interstellar messages exchanged via Fronc and Coromodir make it clear from Fronc that they will not allow the Aurigans to muscle Fronc out of their current territories while Coromodir respond by stating they will fully support anyone who wishes to make a choice about the government they follow.

Site 03-Gamma, Test Site 0930 AM
Csesztreg, Hell’s Horses Occupation Zone
11th February 3120

Csesztreg was cold and barren, a world of grey mountains, seemingly endless tundra and cold dark seas. Its rather thin atmosphere and cold temperatures would have left it to be passed over if not for its huge mineral wealth and in the early days of the human diaspora, Csesztreg’s resources made it a world ripe for colonization.

During the Star League era, efforts to thicken the atmosphere so you could breathe outside without wearing a re-breather or having to carry an oxygen tank paid off, and as soon as people could breathe normally, the mining begun.

Even now, centuries later Csesztreg was an industrial powerhouse, its reserves of metals and other ores nowhere near close to being depleted and whilst it was far from the most habitable world, its strategic value was one of the reasons that Clan Hell’s Horses chose the world as the capital of their Occupation Zone.

Although the administrative capital of the entire OZ was the capital city of Budapest, the Hell’s Horses had made their home several hundred miles from the city in a far more defensible location. The Horse’s Blood Chapel was buried in a former mine which was covered from above by over a kilometre of rock from the mesa that the Horses had made their military capital.

Nicknamed ‘The Stables’ or Istállók in the local Hungarian dialect, the Mesa was the seat of the Hell’s Horses Khan as well as the meeting place for the Bloodnamed of the Clan, as well as a major R&D centre. Because of its importance, several batteries of fifty-five-centimetre Naval Lasers as well as heavy anti-ship missiles dominated the space above ‘The Stables’ whilst at lower altitudes any attackers would have faced turreted weapons and concentric walls that gave the whole facility a layer of protection and defence that would have rivaled a Star League-era Castle Brian.

Despite being purpose built for their use Khan Teresa Cooper did not like spending much time at her Headquarters, and much preferred being closer to the front lines, and thus closer to the action. But she had duties to perform and this was one of them especially with a recent Lyra counter attack which had seen Nekkar and Whittington liberated from Hell’s Horses forces.

Research and Development Site 03-A was not a glamorous name for any facility, but its name belied its importance. Here the Scientist and Technician Castes worked on new weapons and configurations as well as new Mechs and more.

The Khan was met by a deputation of Scientists and Technicians, all of whom bowed low as the Khan approached at the door behind additional Elementals stood and waited guarding the exit.

“Scientist Kline, what do you have to report?” She asked the Elemental Khan stood over all others in the room. The Scientist in question stepped forwards his long lab coat flapping in the cold air before the facilities hangar door closed with a rumbling boom.

“Initial testing goes well; we have used data from our SLDF archives as well as field data obtained on ChatterWeb regarding the Inner Sphere’s new LAM designs and applied it to our three prototypes.”

“Three? I authorised two…” Khan Cooper said, a coldness entering her tone several of the scientists withdrew from her immediate presence. If the Khan flew into a rage and took it out on them physically none of them would survive.

“Aff my Khan, and I apologise for overstepping our boundaries but with three prototypes we can explore and examine the three different weights to see if the design is indeed viable. Also, we have verified that, unlike LAM’s we can make the new ATV modular.” The Scientist hurried his words, hoping to impress the Khan with information instead of immediate demonstration.

“The construction of the third prototype has not delayed testing, and whilst it did take slightly more resources than initially planned, we have made use of as many off the shelf components and all three units share the same electronics suite and communications systems.

The Khan and several other Warriors who were part of her Keshik stepped forwards as they beheld the result of the labours of the Scientists and Technicians. Called ATV’s or ‘All-Terrain-Vehicles’ to hide the program from any causally prying eye, the concept was in essence a Land Air Mech but for the ground, able to move between a vehicle mode or a rugged quadrupedal BattleMech design, offering stability and flexibility as well as superior cross-country performance to vehicles. The ‘Quadvee’ as they were really called would not have to rely on bridging vehicles to cross rivers and could move through heavier terrain than any tank could ever dream of.

But to the Khan’s eyes, the three largely similar vehicles were tall, ungainly things. The smallest of the three massed thirty-five tons and stood on four rather spindly legs, each one bulked out by the tracks that were its motive system when in vehicle mode. Its ‘double-decker’ cockpit was repeated on the fifty-five and seventy-five-ton designs, making them look rather top heavy and presenting a rather easy target.

“And what of the transformation system itself? Three months ago, you reported that there were ‘difficulties,’ have these difficulties been overcome?” Khan Cooper turned to look at the Scientists some of whom all but wilted under her gaze. There was an almost agonising silence until a Technician spoke up.

“Not entirely my Khan, while the actual process of transitioning between the two modes has been done, it is slow, and there has been issues with stability on the prototypes. We are also working on ensuring redundancy and toughness. If I may be so bold My Khan, I saw the distasteful look you gave them and honestly, I do not blame you. But… these are only prototypes, once we have the basics fully worked out, then we can refine the units for combat roles. The lighter unit has been tested on ranges and we have had no problems with weapon system integration.”

“Aff!” Scientist Klein spoke up, eager to regain control of the conversation “We are now ironing out the bugs and with each iteration of the conversion systems and their associated electronics, we are getting closer to a fast, fluid and stable conversion.” He promised his leader, he was confident that they would perfect the project and create a weapon system superior to the SLDF’s LAM project.

The Khan looked at the Technician who had spoken up “Your name please.”

Several Scientists and more junior technicians shuffled ever so slightly away and to the side. “I am Technician Hector my Khan.”

“It took courage to speak to me over your supervisor and senior, how long have you been working on this project?”

“Since its inception My Khan, I work on the mechanical part of the conversion system, overseeing my work teams on the project.” He said confidently he could see the disapproving looks from the two supervisors.

“You are a plain-speaking man; I want your appraisal. How soon do you think the conversion process will be finished and fully viable?” The Khan demanded; the scientists could talk in riddles for hours trying to hide their inadequacies.

Hector glanced at the Scientists and his fellow Technicians and Khan Cooper could not help but smile slightly as she pointedly cleared her throat. “Now is not the time to be quiet…” She stated becoming angry

“My Khan, once the conversion process is done, we can then work on a true combat capable prototype, and of course there is the training program for any crew.” The Tech said confidently he was sure that the QuadVee concept was a sound one, it just required the last few kinks to be worked out.” He said the conversion process was the most difficult part of the entire process. “I do have a suggestion which may further our progress, one which our Touman may be best placed to assist…”

“Advising your Khan on military matters now hmmm?” She said calming after hearing someone with confidence.

“N-Neg My Khan, I would never think to…” His confidence melted in moments facing a challenge from an Elemental but that was to be expected, she was more than their Khan she was a member of the ruling warrior caste, none of them would ever be allowed to forget it. The Clans knew the chaos which had over taken the Homeworlds was caused by scientists rising above their station and attempting to rule, they would not allow that to happen here.

“I have decided I like you Senior Technician Hector. Scientist Klein, Senior Technician Hector, I will hold you to your time schedule. But I will not tolerate delays or excuses.” She said stepping back “what is your suggestion?”

“A Trial of Possession” he suggested looking straight at the Khan specifically one aimed at one of two targets.” Hector said pausing waiting for Khan Cooper to nod “there are many military units that are equipped with Land Air Mechs but to inspect their conversion systems we would need to disassemble them and attempt to reverse engineer the systems.” He explained “my suggestion is a Trial of Possession against Irece in the Draconis Combine or Talitha in the Star League Protectorate, the site of two of the largest LAM factories in the entire Inner Sphere.”

“Two of the most heavily defended systems in the entire Inner Sphere.” Cooper noted “we would need half of the Touman to capture either system.” She said dismissing the idea completely out of hand. “Not to mention Talitha is through not only Star League claimed space but also Lyran territory and Wolf space.” She continued thinking out aloud “Irece is more vulnerable, but neither the Bear nor the Coyote is likely to wish to negotiate with us…” She said beginning to pace, sometimes it helped her think, members of the gathered scientist caste scattered out of the way. “The Lynx however…”

“My Khan we would not need to seize the factory, our records from the Star League-era are spotty on the Land Air Mech technology, much of the information was destroyed during the Exodus Civil War we are literally reinventing the systems hence our issues with the conversion technology. The Star League scientists were impressive.”

“Perhaps the Clans made a mistake in only breeding warriors in the Iron Wombs, we should have harvested some scientist DNA as well.” Cooper half joked she could just imaging if the Scientist, Technician and Merchant castes gained access to Iron Womb technology, trueborns in every caste… she shuddered at the thought.

“I will get you your technology, Hector you will accompany our strike force to Irece.” She said to his shock “you appear to be the only one that believes in making this a success, now it’s time to put your beliefs where your mouth is.” She said smiling then glancing back at the other scientists “I will get you what Hector believes you need. And then you… You -will- be finished on time…” She turned her eyes back to one of the towering QuadVee’s, in Mech form its tall ‘turret’ like body stuck out like a sore thumb. “And for Kerensky’s sake and for the morale of those who have to use the damn things, reduce their height and make them more aesthetically pleasing! We are the Hell’s Horses we ride into battle gracefully.”
A chorus of “Aff’s” greeted Khan Cooper’s words and she smiled, perhaps the day had not been a complete waste after all. She had lit a fire under the QuadVee design team as well as tour the production lines for the Kratos and Alke tanks. It was good for her people to see her taking an interest in things other than combat. Although the role of governing the people was left largely to the various Factors of her Clan, they still needed to see the person who was their leader. Not a Scientist, not a Merchant and not a technician, but a Warrior. And now thanks to Hector she had her next target… the Lyrans could wait.

Political Debate
Royal Court, Carlisle
Alarion Province, Lyran Commonwealth
20th February 3120

At a closed session on the co-capital world of Carlisle deep in the Lyran Commonwealth the Royal Court meet and discuss the Archon Jessica Steiner’s recent performance as leader of the Lyran Commonwealth and as the First Lord of the Star League. Many of the system leaders believe that her actions in targeting the Capellan Confederation instead of the multiple Clan threats is a failure to the people of the Lyran Commonwealth. Not only had the Coyotes threatened and invaded House Steiner but now both the Fire Mandrills and Stone Spirits were causing more trouble invading multiple systems between them.

Recent counter attacks by the Lyrans which had seen Nekkar and Whittington liberated from the Hell’s Horses and the securing of Star League Defence Force reinforcements to protect the Isle of Skye gave many of the Archon’s supporters counter arguments to the calls against the Archon. Also unknown to many Lyrans the Cirincus Federation had begun striking logistical targets within the Mandrill Collective causing issues with their assaults against the Buena Archonette.

SAFE Investigation
Sierra, District of Lothario
Free Worlds League
22nd February 3120

Following the heavy raid and short occupation of Sierra in 3119 a SAFE investigation team of twenty arrive on Sierra to investigate who raided the world and search for evidence. During their investigation they take witness statements, gun camera footage and fragments of armour which had been blown off the invading BattleMechs and vehicles.

Without the resources to analyse the armour fragments on Sierra the samples are taken off world for further laboratory work on Gibraltar, the travel and work will take a minimum of two months for the results to come back to Sierra. The people of Sierra are still recovering from the attack and scrambling for answers to what happened to their world and who is responsible.

Scout mission, Bug-Eye-class Surveillance Craft
Huntress, Kerensky Cluster
Clan Homeworlds
26th February 3120

On the outskirts of the Huntress system there was a flash of light as a small vessel appeared in the system. The ship was one of the smallest WarShips ever designed, a relic from the first Star League, the Bug-Eye-class Surveillance Craft it looked more like an aerodyne-type DropShip. The black-painted ship’s main maneuvering drives fired and the ship began to move in system as it did several sensor dishes and radio antennas extended from hatches along the hull scanning the system as it went.

Within two days the Bug-Eye reached Huntress’ ship lanes which would take it to the main jump point continuing to scan as it went. Huntress, the former homeworld of Clan Smoke Jaguar, was now fully under the control of the Society which controlled most of the Kerensky Cluster. As a result of the domination of Kerensky Cluster by the Society ship traffic in the system was far lower than at any other time in the history of the Clans but the current levels of traffic and the system's damaged sensor net is enough for the Bug-Eye to slip through the traffic relatively unnoticed.

For five days the ship cruised silently through the Huntress system intentionally changing course away from incoming ships to avoid direct contact, when the ship received any messages an automated message is sent reporting that the ship’s receiver was damaged, they were unable to answer and they were heading for a JumpShip and then onto Circe. After the five days the ship passed beyond Huntress' star where it used its Jump drive to escape the system. There were no WarShips in the Huntress system and few of the JumpShips cared about one DropShip disappearing off their sensors.
« Last Edit: 10 January 2024, 23:16:32 by Dragon Cat »

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #81 on: 01 January 2024, 22:21:36 »
Interesting update! Quadvees will be interesting if those are indeed marauder628 Innovations.

Hope they don't trash LAM factory however!  :grin:

Register