Author Topic: MoTW: Hellcat (Hellhound II)  (Read 7515 times)

wantec

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
MoTW: Hellcat (Hellhound II)
« on: 01 May 2023, 13:37:49 »
MoTW: Hellcat (Hellhound II)

BEAUTIFUL HELLCAT/HELLHOUND II ARTWORK

REC GUIDE HELLHOUND ARTWORK

PROJECT PHOENIX HELLHOUND ARTWORK

Today’s look into ‘Mechs begins with the Hellcat, aka the Hellhound II, aka one of my favorite pieces of artwork from the MechWarrior PC games. The origins of the Hellcat start out of universe, with the unseens, Project Phoenix, and the MechWarrior 4: Mercenaries PC game. Much of the original artwork was changed due to lawsuits and such. While every design received new artwork, for some reason when the designers of the MW4:Mercs PC game introduced the Hellhound, they gave it completely different artwork. I for one, loved this artwork, but it was only seen in the video games until now. A similar situation occurred with the Arctic Wolf, which became the Arctic Wolf II in TRO 3085 Supplemental.

Diving back in universe, the Hellcat was born during Clan Nova Cat’s abjurement from Clan space. The Nova Cats had many designs on the books, but not enough resources to produce what the Clan needed. In stepped the infamous Jade Falcon merchants, trading supplies for design specs and shared production runs. While officially a radical upgrade of the Hellhound 6, I also see shades of Shadow Cat A and Clint IIC in the mix.

The first version of this 50-ton ‘Mech was a prototype that saw limited usage in both the Jade Falcons and Nova Cats. This prototype version, dubbed the Hellcat-P, uses Endo-Steel, Ferro Fibrous armor (96% coverage), and an XL engine to move at 5/8 speed. Like the Hellhound 6 is its based off, the Hellcat-P also drops the jump jets for firepower. And what firepower does it have, the equivalent of 26.5 tons in weapons, ammo, and heat sinks. This is heavy ‘Mech territory of firepower, the Pariah/Septicemia is the only medium OmniMech can duplicate this.

What you ask, is all this tonnage and speed used on? An LB 10-X (2 tons of ammo) and a pair of ER Large Lasers make for a fantastic punch at medium to long range. Up close an SRM 6 with a ton of ammo finishes off that beautiful artwork. Lastly, 14 double heat sinks allow you to run and fire the 3 big guns at neutral heat. The Hellcat-P was deemed too slow for the speed-happy Falcon warriors and shunted off to solahma stars. My first reaction is to question if the Falcon warriors had taken up necrosia, but looking in the MUL at the medium OmniMechs of that era the Falcons have, only the Nova matches the Hellcat-P’s speed and the Nova at least has jump jets. The rest are all faster, Battle Cobra (6/9), Viper (8/12/8), Phantom (9/14), Ice Ferret (8/12), Grendel (7/11/7), Shadow Cat (6/9[12]/6), Black Lanner (7/11[14]) and Stormcrow (6/9).

In the 3130s, the Jade Falcons began an upgrade to the standard model Hellcat. The main change is swapping the 250 XL engine for a 300 XXL engine. The larger engine holds 2 more double heat sinks, but takes up 2 more critical slots per side torso, where the now in-engine heat sinks used to be. The two engines are the same weight, so nothing else changes. This production model was deemed fast enough for Falcon forces.

It can run and gun at longer ranges. It won’t be easy to take down, but it also won’t be the most beneficial target to eliminate either. Both versions are solid designs and I can’t wait to see this in miniature form.

My only complaint with the main model is the heat sinks are no long enough for easy heat management. For those that don’t remember, here’s a primer on XXL engines and heat. An XXL engine produces:
  • 2 heat when not moving
  • 4 heat when walking
  • 6 heat when running
  • 2 heat per MP using jump jets
  • 1 heat per MP when using improved jump jets
The Hellcat's 3 main guns produce 26 heat vs the 28 covered by heat sinks so managing XXL engine heat isn’t too tricky, but you will have to drop the LB 10-X or an ERLL more often. While the Falcon warriors loved this faster version, I’m not so enamored with it. The speed bump doesn’t get it to the next defensive modifier bracket (that would have cost 4.5 tons) but does cost it in survivability. Without dabbling too much in the customs territory, a supercharger would only have cost 1 ton for either engine. That would have given a similar speed boost (albeit risky) for the 5/8 XL engine or taken the speed boosting risks one step further for the 6/9 XXL engine. At the cost of 1 heat sink, either option would have made a more interesting design to me.
BEN ROME YOU MAGNIFICENT BASTARD, I READ YOUR BOOK!

BATTLEMASTER

• Captain
  • Hot and Unbothered
Re: MoTW: Hellcat (Hellhound II)
« Reply #1 on: 01 May 2023, 14:47:11 »
It's nice to see BattleTech reconcile with this MW4 design.  When that game came out, I was like "That's not a Hellhound - what are they trying to pull?"  This RecGuide entry works, though  :thumbsup:
BATTLEMASTER
Trombone Player, Lego Enthusiast, Engineer
Clan Smoke Jaguar, Delta Galaxy ("The Cloud Rangers"), 4th Jaguar Dragoons
"You better stand back, I'm not sure how loud this thing can get!"
If you like Lego, you'll like my Lego battlemech projects!

GreekFire

• Aeternus Ignis
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #2 on: 01 May 2023, 16:09:56 »
I certainly think the art team hit a home run with it. Looks fantastic.
« Last Edit: 01 May 2023, 16:28:20 by GreekFire »
Tu habites au Québec? Tu veux jouer au BattleTech? Envoie-moi un message!

BrianDavion

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: 03 May 2023, 01:01:04 »
the hellcat P is just the superior version.
I have yet to see a mech with a XXL engine that benifits from it, even WITHOUT the added heat costs you're looking at a MASSIVLY less durable machine. that the falcons would accept all the trade offs, including the massive increase in cost per unit, just to get the mech moving at 6/9 well.. it's insanity. But this is the clan that produced Malvina Hazen
The Suns will shine again

wantec

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
« Reply #4 on: 03 May 2023, 07:00:57 »
I have yet to see a mech with a XXL engine that benifits from it, even WITHOUT the added heat costs you're looking at a MASSIVLY less durable machine. that the falcons would accept all the trade offs, including the massive increase in cost per unit, just to get the mech moving at 6/9 well.. it's insanity. But this is the clan that produced Malvina Hazen
I was thinking about this as I was writing the article and more afterwards. For the Clans, the XXL vs XL engine debate is like the SFE/LFE vs XL engine debate for IS tech in terms of vulnerabilities. Like you said, the Clan XXL engine is much more vulnerable and you really need to consider if the benefits are worth that cost. Looking at the Savage Wolf aka Mad Cat mk IV vs a Timber Wolf, the XXL engine is used to upgrade the armor to Ferro-Lamellor armor and gain an armored gyro. Now people can argue if that is a worthwhile trade.

Going back to the Hellcat, the XXL engine swap is used to boost the speed from 5/8 to 6/9, which isn't worth it in my mind. I discussed this some at the end of my article, but it probably needed to go a step further and add a supercharger. Then the XXL engine (and say 1 DHS) trade would have taken the speed from 5/8 to 6/9[12] speed, enough for someone to get bursts up to that next defensive modifier bracket. And I realize this doesn't always translate over, in-universe they don't have defensive modifier brackets.

GreekFire

• Aeternus Ignis
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #5 on: 03 May 2023, 07:11:31 »
I have yet to see a mech with a XXL engine that benifits from it, even WITHOUT the added heat costs you're looking at a MASSIVLY less durable machine.

There are a decent number. The Trebuchet -9R can only hit the speeds it hits because of its XXL, for example.

It's just that they're oftentimes used in conjunction with high-heat energy weapons. The Savage Wolf is a good example of this; theoretically it has the potential for a higher payload when compared to the War Crow, but its inefficiencies, heat-wise, means that the much more optimized War Crow pulls ahead pretty convincingly when comparing their current configurations.

On the Hellcat, it gains three tons and has four extra double heat sinks. This means that, in order to gain a benefit from the engine and your increased cooling ability, you need to avoid running whenever possible (while also avoiding standing still to make best use of your decent speed). That means walking will be the name of the game---something that'll generate 4 heat anyway, meaning your net gain from the swap from an XL to an XXL is a grand total of 2 heat dissipation on most turns. Not the most effective use of the engine here.
« Last Edit: 03 May 2023, 07:32:40 by GreekFire »
Tu habites au Québec? Tu veux jouer au BattleTech? Envoie-moi un message!

BATTLEMASTER

• Captain
  • Hot and Unbothered
« Reply #6 on: 03 May 2023, 10:45:27 »
Going back to the Hellcat, the XXL engine swap is used to boost the speed from 5/8 to 6/9, which isn't worth it in my mind.

For the configuration, I think the 6/9 movement allowed by using the XXL is worth it, as it allows a walk of 5 hexes with an extra MP for a facing change, gaining a +2 defensive movement modifier.  This is one of the things that makes the Stormcrow and Skinwalker awesome.  Sure, you work around more heat due to the XXL, but I think that's worth the mobility benefit and even the decreased chassis survivability.  After all, half a 'mech for many is pretty useless anyway and is probably going to end up leaving the battlefield regardless of engine type.
BATTLEMASTER

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #7 on: 03 May 2023, 12:42:10 »
Like the art, like the fluff. Armament is OK, always liked the setup in MW4. A bit unfocused on table top with some redundancy but far from ineffective.

The prototype's kinda sluggish its mass, for the Clans anyway. Clan mediums tend to move faster or at least have jump jets. The Hellcat-P's actual place is probably as a filler in heavy Stars, with other 5/8 movers. Not unlike the Cougar actually. Battle value-wise (<1800BV), it seems like a good deal in a heavy Star, reasonable firepower and considerably more armor than a Loki has.

Not keen on the production variant. While i approve of the greater speed (partially because it is more in line with the MWIV version's stock speed), using XXL engine for that seems dubious. I probably would have just sacrificed some armor and cooling instead to free mass for engine upgrade. Ultimately that would not be too different anyway, as XXLFE is effectively worse cooling and less durability overall.

Incidentally the Conjurer 6 seems to share the overall looks with the Hellcat, with armament seemingly based on the MWIV model visual armament layout.

I am somewhat disappointed the Hellcat wasn't an OmniMech. The Hellhound was an OmniMech in MWIV mostly for gameplay, because nearly all Clan 'Mechs in MWIV were Omnis (the Mad Cat Mk II being an exception). But the functional, non-stylized looks make it feel very much like it should be an OmniMech in BT proper too.

Maingunnery

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Pirates and C3 masters are on the hitlist
« Reply #8 on: 03 May 2023, 13:58:20 »
Definitely true, but thankfully it should be an easy refit for technicians to do an engine downgrade, it just becomes the question of where to get a Clan 250XL engine.
Herb: "Well, now I guess we'll HAVE to print it. Sounds almost like the apocalypse I've been working for...."

The Society:Fan XTRO & Field Manual
Nebula California: HyperTube Xtreme
Nebula Confederation Ships

DragonKhan55

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #9 on: 03 May 2023, 17:45:07 »
Love the Hellhound, it was the first mech I ever played in the Mechwarrior 4 Mercs demo disc and still my favorite to this day. The Prototype version is a decent little skirmisher/hunter killer on the tabletop in the few games I have played with it and integrates well into Striker and Heavy Cav stars, or as the backstop for Recon Stars.

Kojak

• Major
  • Melancon Lives!
« Reply #10 on: 04 May 2023, 00:45:26 »
The Hellhound was a big favorite of mine in MW4 Mercs, so this 'Mech showing up in the RecGuides was a real treat. I haven't gotten a chance to use it yet, but the 6/9 version looks promising to me...the extra maneuverability is enough of a plus to have a value beyond just TMMs.

"Deep down, I suspect the eject handle on the Hunchback IIC was never actually connected to anything. The regs just say it has to be there."
- Klarg1

DragonKhan55

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #11 on: 04 May 2023, 11:18:19 »

Diving back in universe, the Hellcat was born during Clan Nova Cat’s abjurement from Clan space. The Nova Cats had many designs on the books, but not enough resources to produce what the Clan needed. In stepped the infamous Jade Falcon merchants, trading supplies for design specs and shared production runs. While officially a radical upgrade of the Hellhound 6, I also see shades of Shadow Cat A and Clint IIC in the mix.

I always thought it had a lot of Black Lanner in it, specifically the image from Rec Guide 15. Beef up the shoulders a bit and change out the arms, and you have most of the Hellhound there.

https://www.sarna.net/wiki/File:Black_Lanner_RGilClan_v15.png

wantec

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
« Reply #12 on: 04 May 2023, 12:29:00 »
I always thought it had a lot of Black Lanner in it, specifically the image from Rec Guide 15. Beef up the shoulders a bit and change out the arms, and you have most of the Hellhound there.

I was thinking more in terms of the weapons/equipment, but I see what you're saying from the visual side.

BATTLEMASTER

• Captain
  • Hot and Unbothered
« Reply #13 on: 04 May 2023, 18:33:53 »

I'm pretty sure the MechWarrior 4 fluff for the Hellcat said that it borrowed some design elements from the Black Lanner.
BATTLEMASTER

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #14 on: 05 May 2023, 06:59:25 »
I'm pretty sure the MechWarrior 4 fluff for the Hellcat said that it borrowed some design elements from the Black Lanner.
Doesn't. The equipment guide talks about its good early reputation; its toughness, speed and firepower; use (recon, light 'Mech hunter-killer); and it being a Jade Falcon favorite.
Assuming the game's site descriptions are the in-game descriptions (they seem short and familiar enough), the Hellhound's was:
"Fast and deadly for its size, the Hellhound has built a reputation among the Clans as a solid, flexible ‘Mech suitable for a variety of roles." Via Wayback machine.
It is possible MekTek changed the description for their MekPak, those even added the Black Lanner if i recall correctly. But the original doesn't mention the Black Lanner at all.

BATTLEMASTER

• Captain
  • Hot and Unbothered
« Reply #15 on: 05 May 2023, 16:25:21 »
It is possible MekTek changed the description for their MekPak, those even added the Black Lanner if i recall correctly. But the original doesn't mention the Black Lanner at all.

That's probably what I'm thinking about then.  MekTek did add the Black Lanner and made some mods to the original Hellhound concurrently IIRC.
BATTLEMASTER

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #16 on: 05 May 2023, 21:45:50 »
The Hellcat looks impressive, but it really needs a more heat-efficient loadout if it's going to use an XXL engine.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #17 on: 05 May 2023, 23:20:46 »
I love that the looks for this mech are finally incorporated and eagerly look forward to it showing up as a premium plastic . . .

For those talking about the heat, I would point out that nothing outright forces you into LB-10X range so you can stay out firing the ERLLs until you open something up.  THEN you rush in firing 1 ERLL, LBX and eventually the SRMs when you are in range.  It might be considered more of a dueling mech for that reason.

But the weapons load IMO is pretty ideal for a Clan med- able to outrange the IS heavies it will run into, and then able to start crit-seeking on targets.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Tyler Jorgensson

• Captain
« Reply #18 on: 06 May 2023, 15:13:16 »
I loved the mech in MW4: Mercs. You could get the mech in Halloran and it was perfect against other IS mediums and Heavies (other than the Uziel, or the Bushwacker at close range). You could boost the speed up and rush in with a SR load out, or stay in the back (with basically the stock load out: a rarity in that game!) and support your faster units.

Of the new models: I’ll take the 5/8 one and call it a win. Sure it’s slower compared to other Clan  machines but someone said it above: stick it with likewise mechs (Cougar, Stooping Hawk, Nova) in sorta a heavier light star. Bully the smaller units, assist/snipe the larger ones. Treat it like a Rifleman or JagerMech: stay away and snipe.

I would LOVE a plastic Hellhound (premium meh I’m not personally a fan of them). But to me the art was ALWAYS badass

Intermittent_Coherence

• Lieutenant
« Reply #19 on: 12 May 2023, 15:43:19 »
While officially a radical upgrade of the Hellhound 6, I also see shades of Shadow Cat A and Clint IIC in the mix.
I thought the Falcons might have also injected a bit of Black Lanner into the DNA, just with the heavy ballistic weapon swapped for a heavy energy weapon.

Tyler Jorgensson

• Captain
« Reply #20 on: 12 May 2023, 17:12:46 »
Got to use the P for about four turns yesterday. Turn one being maneuver of course but I paid for gunnery upgrades and was able to snipe the next turn at about 18 range: got lucky on an ER Large hit. Next round was able to move away from the approaching hovercraft to keep them in medium and hit with all three LR guns. Round four something got in close and I unloaded an alpha because I could.

Sure it was slower than I wanted, and I wish it hand hands. But it worked kinda like a slower Gyrfalcon. No frills triple Clan LR guns and fairly cheap. It worked.

AJC46

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #21 on: 20 May 2023, 18:56:28 »
I loved the mech in MW4: Mercs. You could get the mech in Halloran

no you get the Hellspawn (a inner sphere mech) as ensured salvage in the first of that branch of missions but i can see the mix up with the hell in the mech's name

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #22 on: 20 May 2023, 19:04:28 »
No, that is right, you can get a Hellhound from the Artillery escort mission on Halloran V.
At least it is an enemy but it probably wasn't guaranteed salvage.

Tyler Jorgensson

• Captain
« Reply #23 on: 21 May 2023, 13:11:43 »
No, that is right, you can get a Hellhound from the Artillery escort mission on Halloran V.
At least it is an enemy but it probably wasn't guaranteed salvage.

Depending on which order you did the missions you could also get it before that if you played I want to say the Wolf’s Dragoons or Kell Hounds.

But yes the artillery escort mission had two or three depending on difficulty that you could salvage.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #24 on: 28 May 2023, 16:24:47 »
Thanks again for insightful article, wanted. I am grateful that the MechWarrior 4 game version was given its own identity as The Hellcat .

I guess the XXL VS XL debating has led me to think that using the bigger engine was intentionally a flaw to give it more character while making it not as op as other machines. I agree with everyone else the prototype version is the better thing, however I wasn't under the impression that a production model could be converted into the p version. It would destroy its ability to be being an omnimech?
This may be some old rules, to prevent like custom configurations being made if I remember right from the older rule sets. I don't know if that's still a thing now.

All I know is that Hellcat -P likely the more viable machine to use especially with newer players versus the more complicated XXL engine.  Heat  management to me makes plain more difficult to use.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #25 on: 28 May 2023, 17:10:07 »
Thanks again for insightful article, wanted. I am grateful that the MechWarrior 4 game version was given its own identity as The Hellcat .

I guess the XXL VS XL debating has led me to think that using the bigger engine was intentionally a flaw to give it more character while making it not as op as other machines. I agree with everyone else the prototype version is the better thing, however I wasn't under the impression that a production model could be converted into the p version. It would destroy its ability to be being an omnimech?

It was never an omnimech to begin with.  And the rules around omnismoke have been relaxed in recent years.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

wantec

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
« Reply #26 on: 29 May 2023, 08:40:04 »
It was never an omnimech to begin with.  And the rules around omnismoke have been relaxed in recent years.
Correct, and the confusion may be somewhat my fault, since I kept comparing available weapons tonnage to omnis. That just seemed like an easy way to give folks a quick frame of reference rather than just a tonnage number.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #27 on: 29 May 2023, 09:07:17 »
Thanks, I got confused.  I honestly thought (without looking....) Hellcat was omnimech.  (sigh)
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #28 on: 29 May 2023, 12:47:32 »
I'll note the MWIV Hellhound was an OmniMech, which may be tripping some people. Have to say i kinda wish the Hellcat had been an OmniMech.

Tyler Jorgensson

• Captain
« Reply #29 on: 29 May 2023, 12:49:29 »
I'll note the MWIV Hellhound was an OmniMech, which may be tripping some people. Have to say i kinda wish the Hellcat had been an OmniMech.

‘Everything’ in MW IV was an OmniMech the only real difference in game mechanics was mechs that had more OmniSlots than fixed energy, Missile, or ballistic.

But no: agree fully

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #30 on: 29 May 2023, 15:02:17 »
yeah the 'hardpoint' systems used in MW4, MWO, and MW5 make pretty much every mech an "omni-lite" as far as customization goes. which is why they had to create alternative benefits for the actual omnis (the "omni" slots of MW4 that could accept anything, and the swapping of hardpoint presets for MWO. which will eventually make it into MW5 i'm sure)

Intermittent_Coherence

• Lieutenant
« Reply #31 on: 01 June 2023, 02:53:20 »
A hardpoint system that is used to implement a modular system is one of those things that just kinda makes sense. TBF every BT-franchise game including the actual BT game has implemented some version of it since then, so Microsoft must have been on to something.

Rince Wind

• Sergeant
« Reply #32 on: 01 June 2023, 04:09:11 »
If you don't add some restrictions then a Warhammer and an Archer have exactly the same options, which would be boring and encourage very few meta builds even more.

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #33 on: 01 June 2023, 04:31:45 »
for the medium, its a decent compromise. i just wish that they'd come up with a system that allowed omnimechs be actual Omnimechs.

Rince Wind

• Sergeant
« Reply #34 on: 01 June 2023, 05:50:02 »
Some mods do, for the most part. Like quick refitting and the possibility to put any kind of weapon in any slot. Mostly you don't have the restrictions of omnis though.
To be fair, both recent games were set at a time when there were no omni around.

Tyler Jorgensson

• Captain
« Reply #35 on: 03 June 2023, 14:58:17 »
for the medium, its a decent compromise. i just wish that they'd come up with a system that allowed omnimechs be actual Omnimechs.

I know we are getting off topic (and we should get back on) but MW5 or HBS BT have the repair/rearmament times a true Omni would have VERY reduced times but the cost of not being able to adjust base items (other than those upgrade slots)

parable

• Sergeant
« Reply #36 on: 24 June 2023, 02:49:33 »
to get back on topic...I played with the Nova Cat version in MegaMek a bit and while I liked its design in MW4: Mercs, in 'Mech games I go assault or go home (in the HBS Battletech, I have a scout Atlas...apparently I'm Lyran at heart), this little scrapper is one of my new favorite 'Mechs.  It almost feels like a Medium version of the Nova Cat (and basically is a Night Gyr minus 15 tonnes) in that while the former is a pocket Assault, boasting range, damage, and armor that can compete 1v1 against 'Mechs far heavier than it, the Hellcat is a pocket Heavy.  It's well-armed, well-armored, well-sunk, and slow.  Even with 'only' the clan XL, it has compromised vulnerability, but its ability to strip off 20 points of armor at 25 hexes is no joke, and when combined with an accurate dice-roller and a proven close-range critseeker makes it a priority target. 

Long story short: it's a fun, cool-looking, terrifying murderer of a 'Mech.
Kaldumeir Nova Cat, Abtakha Mechwarrior of Clan Nova Cat, late of the Draconis Combine.

Silverline

• Recruit
« Reply #37 on: 12 October 2023, 06:47:34 »
Though MW4 was not my first foray into the series, it was the game that really got me invested in the setting in a deeper way than "stompy mechs good". And the design that always stood out to me head and shoulders above all other was the Hellcat

I'm looking forward to hopefully seeing it in plastic mini form one day, the new lineart for the design is utterly gorgeous

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs
« Reply #38 on: 14 October 2023, 05:20:07 »
The Hellcat P reminds me of another Nova Cat design - https://www.sarna.net/wiki/Huntsman_(Nobori-nin) Its not that fast for a Medium, decent speed by IS standards but a bit slow for Clan but it makes up for that with weapons and other features.

Here the Hellcat has even more weight for the dakka thanks to not having jump jets and being able to punch nearly as hard as a Summoner Prime, making it more akin to a 'pocket heavy'. Whereas the Huntsman was a kitchen sink generalist approach (and wasted tonnage with the UAC) the Hellcat is very much a hard hitter that is there to kill 'Mechs or lame and then destroy tanks with its LB and ER Larges.

This makes me think that it was designed to be less your typical Medium role of forwards skirmishers etc but an adjunct to the heavy Stars and part of them because it can happily pace with the Mad Dogs, Summoners etc, and has enough firepower to make itself a very dangerous threat with them.

Plus, it just looks AMAZING, I've always loved the Hellhound from MW4's looks, its unlike any Clanner 'Mech out there.

I'm not too sure about the Hellcat II because of the XXL engine, sure its a BIT faster, but is the heat load and vulnerability worth it? I'd say not.
« Last Edit: 14 October 2023, 05:33:11 by marauder648 »
Ghost Bears: Cute and cuddly. Until you remember its a BLOODY BEAR!

Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs - https://thezhukovau.wordpress.com/

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #39 on: 15 October 2023, 01:52:30 »

funny, i would have pointed to a different Falcon built design as the basis.. the Cougar. to me it looks rather like a heavier more built up Cougar to me, and it does fill a similar role to the Cougar D. the Falcons lost the ability to produce the Cougar in the wars of reaving, and i could see the Falcons looking to fill that niche with the new design, using what blueprint data they had managed to salvage from Ironhold when they pulled out of the homeworlds to build the new mech.