Author Topic: Mech of the Weekend: TMP Tempest  (Read 4895 times)

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
Mech of the Weekend: TMP Tempest
« on: 02 September 2023, 20:43:41 »
In the mid 3050s, it was a good time to be the Free Worlds League.  The FedCom had just gotten massively battered by the Clans and were buying all the war equipment you could price gouge them for, the proliferation of Star League tech meant that you were producing expensive upgrade kits for a lot of old mechs, and your economy and infrastructure hadn't been touched by any of the fighting.  As such, the FWL began production of a flurry of new mechs.  Enter the Tempest.

According to TRO 3055 (original), the Tempest actually began design in the 3040s before the Clan invasion.  This configuration, dubbed the TMP-2M by the Master Unit List, was armed with two PPCs as its main weaponry but never entered production.  Instead, the first variant produced was the TMP-3M, which was upgraded with a significant amount of Star League technology in its construction.

Powered by a 260XL engine, the 3M moves at a fairly typical top speed for an Inner Sphere heavy mech of 65 kph.  Four jump jets provide supplemental mobility.  This sets the standard for the Tempest's mobility, there isn't much variation on the 3M's 4/6/4 movement among the other configurations.  Endo Steel for the chassis provides additional mass savings.

For protection, the TMP-3M mounts 12.5 tons of standard armor, providing it with near-max armor, arranged sensibly- it's short by three points in the Center Torso (32/7 for a total of 39 out of 42 points) and two points on each arm (18 out of 20 each) and leg (28/30).  The arms fail the AC 20 check, which is a problem, but what can you do about it?

And that takes us to the armament.  As stated before, originally the Tempest was to be armed with dual PPCs, but in the wake of the Clan Invasion its weapon loadout was changed.  A Gauss Rifle with two tons of ammo resides in the Right Arm, while a large pulse laser sits in the left.  Supplementing the big guns are a trio of medium lasers- two in the center torso and one in the head, and one SRM 6 pod in the left torso.  Eleven double heat sinks is not sufficient to cool this mech's full loadout, but it's fairly easy to drop the large pulse laser any time you need to cool off.  The mech's firepower is obviously biased toward infighting and its armor and jump jets let it perform pretty well at that range, though the XL engine makes it a bit vulnerable.

Well, that's the stock Tempest, but not the only one.

TRO 3055 Upgrade provides most of the variants, starting with the TMP-3G.  A straightforward variant, this downgrades the SRM 6 to a 4-pod and uses the extra ton to add another eight shots to the Gauss Rifle.  YMMV regarding whether or not this is useful.  Certainly it's unlikely to matter in most pick up games.

The TMP-3MA is another straightforward variant, swapping the Gauss Rifle out for an AC 10 with four tons of ammo and also adding another double heatsink.  It loses the mech's only long-range weapon, meaning that it probably wants to fight more in places where line-of-sight is more restricted, and of course it wants to take advantage of specialty ammo for the autocannon- you definitely don't want to walk into a fight packing 40 rounds of AC 10 ammo.

The TMP-3M2 "Storm Tempest" is the most radical variant so far, swapping the Gauss Rifle out for a Light Gauss Rifle with one ton of ammo- hey, it's a Marik mech, and upgrading the medium lasers to ER models and the SRM-6 to Streak.  The extra heat sink from the 3MA shows up again, as does an ER small laser.  The Storm Tempest also maxes out the armor.

After that, the Tempest didn't see any major changes until the Dark Age, when the TMP-4M debuted in TRO 3150's New Tech, New Upgrades section.  Keeping the Gauss Rifle and the medium lasers from the 3M, the other weaponry was sacrificed for a Snub-nose PPC in the Left Arm and five Improved Jump Jets in the torsos, which necessitated moving the two medium lasers previous in the center torso to the right and left torsos.    The armor is the same as the 3M's and it only mounts the stock 10 double heatsinks, but 20 dissipation is fine for it thanks to the reduced heat load from the loss of the SRM pod and the (slightly) reduced heat of the IJJs.

And the last variant, also from TRO 3150 is the only mixed-tech variant, the Tempest C.  Again taking the stock 3M, it upgrades the Gauss Rifle and Large Pulse Laser to Clan configurations and uses the weight savings to swap out the SRM 6 for an ATM 9 fed by two tons of ammo.  An extra heatsink doesn't quite keep up with the heat load, but it's only 2+movement on an alpha strike.  The fluff in TRO 3150 suggests that the Wolf Empire was responsible for this upgrade, but the MUL only lists it as available to the FWL and Clan Protectorate, so sounds like something to ask in the MUL Errata section.  Edit: nckestrel has pointed out errata stating that it was actually the Sea Foxes, not the Wolves, who were responsible for the Tempest C upgrade.  Thank you nckestrel.

Since I'm already editing this post: If Quirks are in play, the Tempest has one- Directional Torso Mount (Head Medium Laser).  A minor quirk, but it does make attempting to flank the Tempest that much dangerous.

Overall, the Tempest is a solid and reliable design- the variants are all "the original but with one or two things changed", there's no radical shifts in performance or role for any of them.  When I first saw it, I thought it looked an awful lot like it was derived from the Thunderbolt, though no official word says anything of the sort.  But like the Thunderbolt it can dish out and take some damage and get the job done.
« Last Edit: 11 September 2023, 23:57:49 by MoneyLovinOgre4Hire »
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

17thRecon

• Master Sergeant
Re: Mech of the Weekend: TMP Tempest
« Reply #1 on: 03 September 2023, 01:06:57 »
Nice article. Seems like a good trooper, fight it’s way in and enough armor to finish in close.

Why AC10? Aside from the specialty ammo, this seems like a downgrade.

I do like the C, though. That seems like it would really want to hammer from long to medium range, then after dealing enough damage, close in for the coup de grace before rinsing and repeating.

Anyone ever use one on the table? I’d be interested in hearing. This isn’t a Mech I’ve heard much about, and honestly, if Money hadn’t done up this nice article, I can say I pry hadn’t given the Tempest much thought since I first read through its entry in TRO 3055.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #2 on: 03 September 2023, 01:52:03 »
Specialty ammo is literally the only reason for an AC-10, especially with an ammo bin that size.  Otherwise it would have made more sense to go with an Ultra 10, as that's a popular FWL weapon.

I've used the 3M many times and it's a solid, dependable mech.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #3 on: 03 September 2023, 03:16:02 »
what specialty AC ammo was available to the FWL in 3056 though? iirc most of the stuff people usually take (precision, AP, etc) came about a decade later. (precision in 3062 in the fedsuns, AP was around in prototype form in the fedsuns but didn't see deployment till 3059, incinderary came out around the same time)
that only really leaves Flak and Tracer ammo for the FWL. while tracer might be useful in a night fight, you don't really need to carry it as a standard load.

so i guess that makes the TMP-3MA intended to pull double duty as AAA using Flak. (i suppose you could load Caseless.. but 40 shots is already excessive for normal deployments, so being able to load 80 shots isn't really needed.)
or perhaps they were just trying to create a unit that could go for a longer time without resupply, making it more effective in guerilla style campaigns like were seen often often on the clan front.

once the precision and AP ammo became available though in the 3060's, i have no doubt that they made use of it.

Alan Grant

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: 03 September 2023, 07:59:47 »
Thanks for doing this writeup. Great work.

Was nice to see this pop up. Most people I know aren't FWL-focused so they forget about the Tempest. It really is one of those decent-to-good 'mechs that everyone forgets about. That gives it an air of uniqueness in a lot of games and groups where it just isn't that common.

Interestingly, the fluff on the Tempest in TRO: 3055 Upgrade mentions the FWLM sometimes deploying Tempest as entire lances and even companies of them (they note in a move harkening back to the SLDF). I'd be curious to hear opinions on how viable the Tempest is if used in this way.

It's weirdly tempting to do that at some point. As I said above, the Tempest just isn't regarded as that common. So I'd love to see people's reactions if someone brought an entire lance or company of them to a game and showed that the TRO says this is legitimately a thing. It is at least a funny mental image in my head.

Another TRO reference is pairing it up with the SHD-5M, with the Tempest and Shadow Hawk working together a lot. I'd be curious to hear thoughts on that setup. On the surface it sounds viable to me, but I've never really tested it.

Seeing a lot of discussion on the -3MA with an AC-10 and a lot of ammo. I can perhaps see some logic in it, if it you consider what I referenced above, the idea that some whole lances or even companies of Tempests existing within the FWLM. Mixing in some -3MA and their specialty ammo, would make them a better complement to the more standard -3M. I'm picturing a lance of -3Ms having a single -3MA in the lance, with specialty ammo.
« Last Edit: 03 September 2023, 08:01:45 by Alan Grant »

17thRecon

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #5 on: 03 September 2023, 10:10:47 »
The deep ammo bins are also something I like from the “realist” perspective. Seems like all models were given enough ammo to last, and the 3G variant looks like something that designers/techs would do after the initial wave of Tempests hit their unit and they receive feedback from Mechwarriors; “hey guys, love the ride, but on these planet invasions, I’m running short on Gauss ammo”. It doesn’t loose much short range punch, and can go longer with the primary damage dealer. Now, on the tabletop, there’s pry no reason to choose it over the 3M, except for maybe campaign type play.

If the base models are 4/6/4, what does the IJJ do to the movement profile of the 4M? 4/6/6?

Similar to the AC10 discussion, which I think the specialty ammo pretty much answers, but what about the Light Gauss variant? This goes down to a single ton of main gun ammo, which seems odd in light of the abundance of ammo on the other models, and seems to lessen the ranged punch, while only marginally (at least to my understanding), improving the short range punch and efficiency with the ER meds and Streak 6. Not sure I get the “Storm Tempest” moniker on this one. Storm makes me think of it like a siege breaker type Mech, but which I think would be better applied to the 3G. That one has the ammo to be like “okay, you sit there in your defensive position, and every time you poke your head up, I’m sending 15 points of lead your way. I can do this ALL day.”

Funny, yesterday I hadn’t really thought about this Mech. Today, after this discussion, I’m kind of hoping to see it in Plastic so I can grab one, or maybe 4. I may have to step into the threads in General about “Things I’d like to see…” and/or “Ideas for future Force Packs” and throw in a vote for the Tempest…maybe reference this article, too. 

ThePW

• Lieutenant
  • One post down, a thousand to g... Oh we're here?
« Reply #6 on: 03 September 2023, 11:15:49 »

If the base models are 4/6/4, what does the IJJ do to the movement profile of the 4M? 4/6/6?

Without looking at the actual sheet, I would say 4/6/5 only because of the mention of ML movement to the side torsos from the CT to make room for a single IJJ slot...

Similar to the AC10 discussion, which I think the specialty ammo pretty much answers, but what about the Light Gauss variant? This goes down to a single ton of main gun ammo, which seems odd in light of the abundance of ammo on the other models, and seems to lessen the ranged punch, while only marginally (at least to my understanding), improving the short range punch and efficiency with the ER meds and Streak 6. Not sure I get the “Storm Tempest” moniker on this one. Storm makes me think of it like a siege breaker type Mech, but which I think would be better applied to the 3G. That one has the ammo to be like “okay, you sit there in your defensive position, and every time you poke your head up, I’m sending 15 points of lead your way. I can do this ALL day.”

Tempest probably refers to a specific pilot in question. One of the FASA era unit sourcebooks had a father/daughter pair of pilots, the daughter being Tempest (Snord's Irregulars?). It probably not the same but that's the first thing that popped into my head from WAY deep... It probably came out out the same box where I remember specific Serial Numbers of equipment I worked on the Navy... PZN141, RBO101, 5MH251, etc...
Even my Page posting rate is better than my KPD rate IG...

2Feb2023: The day my main toon on DDO/Cannith, an Artificer typically in the back, TANKED in a LH VoD.

Alan Grant

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: 03 September 2023, 11:35:33 »

The -3M2 "Storm Tempest" variant's origin gets addressed via the notable mechwarrior in TRO: 3055U. Basically a 1st Regulan Hussars Force Commander who gets into a jumping short-range fight with a Jaguar Timber Wolf in the fight for Hyner during Operation Bulldog.

This mechwarrior picked up the monitor "Jumping Jack" for using that mobility to fight the Timber Wolf and engage it at short range until the rest of his command showed up to mop up the Jags. Irian then took the machine, disassembled it to study the battle's effects on the chassis. The data led to a bunch of upgrades that ultimately culminated in the -3M2 "Storm Tempest."

So basically the -3MU is designed to be a close-range jumping brawler. The extra armor probably helps it survive that. I can also see it serving as the point-mech for proverbial door breaching (i.e. such as walking into restrictive terrain where you might trip over hidden units). It's meant to rely on those ER Medium Lasers and the Streak SRMs and even the extra ER Small Laser.

The LGR then, and its minimal ammo, is really just designed to try to soften up an enemy with a few shots until it closes to brawl. Or to deal with some fast machine that's tagging the Storm Tempest at long range and refuses to close. Like a fast light 'mech or hover vehicle that's using its speed to try to keep the Storm Tempest at a manageable distance. It could also temporarily jump to some high ground and snipe for as long as the ammo holds out.

Does the Storm Tempest have a left-hand, hand actuator? With that Light Pulse Laser gone that arm would otherwise be empty. Punching would add to the brawler theme here.
« Last Edit: 03 September 2023, 11:41:34 by Alan Grant »

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #8 on: 03 September 2023, 12:17:26 »
The Storm Tempest still has the LPL.  The only Tempest variant to drop it is the 4M, and it puts a Snub-Nose PPC in its place (and no Tempest variants have hand actuators).  And yes, the 4M's movement is 4/6/5- I did say that it had five improved jump jets.

The Eagle

• Captain
  • This is what peak performance looks like!
« Reply #9 on: 03 September 2023, 13:09:58 »
The LGR then, and its minimal ammo, is really just designed to try to soften up an enemy with a few shots until it closes to brawl. Or to deal with some fast machine that's tagging the Storm Tempest at long range and refuses to close. Like a fast light 'mech or hover vehicle that's using its speed to try to keep the Storm Tempest at a manageable distance. It could also temporarily jump to some high ground and snipe for as long as the ammo holds out.

The thing about the LGR to remember is that while one of its main selling points is the long range, that also means it has good long & medium range brackets.  You have to keep an eye on the minimum range, but 8-hex short and 17-hex medium brackets give a lot of room to play with your to-hit numbers in a knife-fight.
RIP Dan Schulz, 09 November 2009.  May the Albatross ever fly high.

Hit me up for BattleTech in the WV Panhandle!

Alan Grant

• Captain
« Reply #10 on: 03 September 2023, 14:18:09 »
The Storm Tempest still has the LPL.  The only Tempest variant to drop it is the 4M, and it puts a Snub-Nose PPC in its place (and no Tempest variants have hand actuators).  And yes, the 4M's movement is 4/6/5- I did say that it had five improved jump jets.

Oh gotcha, my mistake. Thanks for addressing the hand actuator question as well.

Jellico

• Spatium Magister
  • Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • BattleMechs are the lords of the battlefield
« Reply #11 on: 03 September 2023, 15:44:30 »
And the last variant, also from TRO 3150 is the only mixed-tech variant, the Tempest C.  Again taking the stock 3M, it upgrades the Gauss Rifle and Large Pulse Laser to Clan configurations and uses the weight savings to swap out the SRM 6 for an ATM 9 fed by two tons of ammo.  An extra heatsink doesn't quite keep up with the heat load, but it's only 2+movement on an alpha strike.  The fluff in TRO 3150 suggests that the Wolf Empire was responsible for this upgrade, but the MUL only lists it as available to the FWL and Clan Protectorate, so sounds like something to ask in the MUL Errata section.

Tempest is built on Irian, still Wolf held as of 3051. Maybe raise it with the MUL guys?

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #12 on: 03 September 2023, 16:12:44 »
Sarna and Empire Alone both show Irian as within the FWL, not the Wolf Empire.  I asked the MUL team and they said that there's no sign that the Wolves currently have access to the Tempest.

they don't produce it. we're looking into whether they would have it in any real numbers

Ok, we checked it out. Until the day arrives that the Wolf-FWL border is not in a state of active war, the wolves have no reliable supply

ThePW

• Lieutenant
  • One post down, a thousand to g... Oh we're here?
« Reply #13 on: 03 September 2023, 17:55:44 »
Sarna and Empire Alone both show Irian as within the FWL, not the Wolf Empire.  I asked the MUL team and they said that there's no sign that the Wolves currently have access to the Tempest.

maybe its all the Isora the Wolf Empire has acquired in recent years and the Tempest C is one of those 'Scientists! Go nuts!' moments?
Even my Page posting rate is better than my KPD rate IG...

2Feb2023: The day my main toon on DDO/Cannith, an Artificer typically in the back, TANKED in a LH VoD.

Tyler Jorgensson

• Captain
« Reply #14 on: 03 September 2023, 18:23:36 »
Picked up an IWM Tempest model a while ago as part of of batch. Haven’t used it yet but had it designated for a Storm Tempest variant in a FWL Lance to try at some point.

Now that we finally have stats for the C I can try that one: goodbye IS Large Pulse Laser!

A Gauss Rifle is a good long range weapon and the mech can blast away until they get close and then pummel them with SR armaments. Now like a lot of that eras FWL mechs they would NOT serve well against the Clans: Clan Guns outrage and outdamage their IS Counterparts…. But against IS opponents I think it would do well.

Minemech

• Captain
« Reply #15 on: 03 September 2023, 18:27:10 »
 The Tempest is a genuine low mass heavy rather than an overweight medium. It is good to compare and contrast it with mechs like the Jinggau, or Avatar which are respected competitors from roughly the same era.

As for why you would want an extra ton of Gauss ammunition, it can be a situational advantage that fits a pilot's needs. That extra ton allows for riskier shots from both the Rifle and SRM launcher.

The Free Worlds League's use of the Clan version could very well have its origins in a Wolf upgrade. For now it appears that only the Free Worlds League is actively fielding it in worthwhile numbers.

Jellico

• Spatium Magister
  • Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • BattleMechs are the lords of the battlefield
« Reply #16 on: 03 September 2023, 20:19:45 »
Oops. Messed that up didn't I.

Minemech

• Captain
« Reply #17 on: 03 September 2023, 20:23:33 »
Oops. Messed that up didn't I.
I do not see a mess up, I see a fun and interesting addition to the FWLM arsenal.

Starfury

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #18 on: 04 September 2023, 22:35:48 »
Ask and ye shall receive. Thanks MoneyLovingOgre4Hire.  The Tempest has been a favorite of mine since TRO 3055. It's a solid design  that  pairs well with other 4/6/4 or 5/8/5 jumpers in the battle line such as the Guillontine, the myriad number of T-bolt variants it was mean to replace, or even the new Scourge or Viper (the 70 ton Viper, not the Dragonfly (Viper) Omni.) The Tempest is also a nice change from the Marik can't have nice things trope Marik had from 3058 to the start of the Jihad. True, CASE and an ER Large with an extra DHS would be nice, but such is life.

The AC/10 version is probably there not just for alternate ammo but also an easily refitted replacement for the Gauss Rifle if you didn't have them available.  So many designs from that era were going Gauss heavy that you couldn't rely on a steady supply. The AC/10 is used in Orions along with other Marik stalwarts, so you would have tons of them around as Orions received full 1M etc refits.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #19 on: 04 September 2023, 22:37:43 »
I like pairing it up with the Albatross.

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #20 on: 05 September 2023, 00:16:52 »
OR as a companion piece to other Gauss rifle carriers.
It's not who you kill, but how they die!
You can't shoot what you can't see.
You can not dodge it if you don't know it's coming.

Martius

• Captain
« Reply #21 on: 05 September 2023, 12:44:09 »
Tempest and Thunderbolt 7SE make for a great team.

Minemech

• Captain
« Reply #22 on: 05 September 2023, 14:26:51 »
Overall, the Tempest is a solid and reliable design- the variants are all "the original but with one or two things changed", there's no radical shifts in performance or role for any of them.  When I first saw it, I thought it looked an awful lot like it was derived from the Thunderbolt, though no official word says anything of the sort.  But like the Thunderbolt it can dish out and take some damage and get the job done.
When it was originally designed, it was a twin PPC sniper. It was upgraded to be a heavier duty brawler, taking what worked from the WVR-6M, and attempting to make it more so. The Gauss Rifle itself was a marvelous addition because it added serious firepower with range, making the machine more versatile. At the time of the original TRO 3055, there just were not many Gauss Rifle armed mechs in the Inner Sphere roster so its effect was noticeable.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #23 on: 05 September 2023, 15:41:42 »
Great article! I always liked the Tempest.

I do think it was strange to me, a post-Succession Wars Era (before Clan Invasion) was envisioned with twin PPCs.   I thought there was shortage of PPCs in the FWL, thust why we get those strange Large Laser variants of the Marauder.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #24 on: 05 September 2023, 15:53:32 »
When it was originally designed, it was a twin PPC sniper. It was upgraded to be a heavier duty brawler, taking what worked from the WVR-6M, and attempting to make it more so. The Gauss Rifle itself was a marvelous addition because it added serious firepower with range, making the machine more versatile. At the time of the original TRO 3055, there just were not many Gauss Rifle armed mechs in the Inner Sphere roster so its effect was noticeable.

I checked TRO 3055 (original version) and 3055 Upgrade while writing this article and while it did mention that it was originally designed with twin PPCs as its main armament, there was no actual mention of it being intended as a sniper rather than a brawler.  My guess is that it would have been something like a smaller Warhammer though as we may never see the record sheet for the 2N, who knows?

You're absolutely right about the Gauss Rifle, and the IS mechs we saw carrying one tended to either have insufficient ammo (Banshee), too little armor (Caesar), or both (MAD-5S Marauder).

Minemech

• Captain
« Reply #25 on: 05 September 2023, 16:10:09 »
I checked TRO 3055 (original version) and 3055 Upgrade while writing this article and while it did mention that it was originally designed with twin PPCs as its main armament, there was no actual mention of it being intended as a sniper rather than a brawler.  My guess is that it would have been something like a smaller Warhammer though as we may never see the record sheet for the 2N, who knows?
I could be wrong on the sniper role. My original thought was that the XL engine was added later but nothing in the text explicitly supports that view. Given that the context of the time of its early development was of Thomas trying to get the technological edge over the AFFC, I could see your read as true. Notably, mech had the benefit of adding the Gauss Rifle after the Goliath had tested the weapon, so a proper employment of the weapon was better understood. This may explain why the mech is unusually optimized for its employment.

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #26 on: 05 September 2023, 18:10:48 »
pulling up the 3M on megameklab.. with two standard PCC's replacing the gauss and LPL, you could switch to standard engine and structure. leaving .5 tons of space work with still. (i'm being generous and figuring they'd intended DHS the whole time)

the end result does feel very warhammery, with a PPC in each arm, a trio of lasers in the torso and an SRM6 in a side torso. very close to the WHM-6R. which means that it probably would have been a brawler still (both the tempest -3M and the warhammer -6R are brawlers)

so honestly, it is probably a good thing that they decided to invest in more advanced construction and switched to the gauss/LPL combo. (especially given that the FWL was probably still short on PPC's at the time)

though it might be interesting to see a variant in a future work that 'revisits' the original planned twin PPC version and uses the mass from the Endo and XL to try out a twin ERPPC design. (or perhaps a heavy PPC+snub PPC or something)

« Last Edit: 05 September 2023, 18:13:53 by glitterboy2098 »

five_corparty

• Lieutenant
« Reply #27 on: 06 September 2023, 22:03:54 »
I've always liked this mech more in theory than on the table, she's just too slow on most maps: by the time she gets into close range, her lancemates are dead because she can only contribute a gauss to the discussion.

I did put one into a story once (The Third Pillar, in the Legacy anthology) and in FICTION it's an unholy terror.  Just wish i could match that on the table!  :sad: :sad: hahaha

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #28 on: 06 September 2023, 22:45:22 »
Ever tried keeping your faster mechs back until the 4/6 machines start getting close, then charge the fast mechs into the fray?

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #29 on: 11 September 2023, 22:20:13 »
I thought the Tempest C was the answer to the Wolves making some other C variant.  Like the Protectorate faced it and . . .

Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #30 on: 11 September 2023, 22:58:09 »
The fluff in TRO 3150 suggests that the Wolf Empire was responsible for this upgrade,

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,47584.msg1132704.html#msg1132704

version: 1st PDF issue
New Tech, New Upgrades, BattleMechs, Tempest entry.
change "Wolves" to "Sea Foxes"
change "Angel II" to "Angell II"
Alpha Strike Introduction resources
Left of Center blog - Nashira Campaign for A Game of Armored Combat, TP 3039 Vega Supplemental Record Sheets

Minemech

• Captain
« Reply #31 on: 11 September 2023, 23:01:53 »
 Honestly the C only has 1 item that is not necessarily an intuitive addition for an Inner Sphere power. That item adds much versatility, so all is well. A random Inner Sphere mechanic probably had already reverse engineered it upon seeing it.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #32 on: 11 September 2023, 23:52:03 »
https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,47584.msg1132704.html#msg1132704

I was not previously aware of this errata.  This makes much more sense.  I'll change the original post to reflect this new information

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #33 on: 12 September 2023, 08:49:08 »

Wasn't it supposed to be in response to the Guillotine C or something?
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #34 on: 12 September 2023, 09:12:52 »
Wasn't it supposed to be in response to the Guillotine C or something?

The important part is that it's built on Angell II, and that's not Wolf.  if the guillotine reference also needs to be errated, then it will be.  The writer of the entry was confused and thought Angell II was Wolf, when it's not. 

ah, Angell II was also making the Guillotine, and upgraded to the Guillotine IIC. so that reference is fine.
« Last Edit: 12 September 2023, 09:14:56 by nckestrel »
Alpha Strike Introduction resources
Left of Center blog - Nashira Campaign for A Game of Armored Combat, TP 3039 Vega Supplemental Record Sheets

Arkansas Warrior

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #35 on: 12 September 2023, 10:50:34 »

I've always liked the Tempest.  Seems like a well-designed mech, if a bit short-ranged in focus (oh, for one that swaps the LPL for an ERPPC, like a FWL-flavored Falconer!).

Aesthetically, it reminds me of the Guillotine, especially in the flared shoulders, cleft feet, and the way the head sits between the shoulders, below...a thing (spotlight for the Guillotine, ML for the Tempest).  The armament is different, but not completely unlike the GLT; SRM6 is still there, collection of mediums, etc.  I wonder if there's any relationship there.

Capability wise, it fits neatly into a slot with several others of similar tonnage and armament.  I'm thinking here of the Cestus, Jinggau, Helios, etc: low-end heavies with a gauss rifle as primary armament.  Obviously there are differences; the Jinggau is 5/8/5, the Cestus doesn't jump and has better mid-range guns, the Helios has an SFE and bad armor, etc.  But generally speaking they're solid, reasonably dependable heavy troopers.
« Last Edit: 12 September 2023, 10:54:27 by Arkansas Warrior »
Sunrise is Coming.

All Hail First Prince Melissa Davion, the Patron Saint of the Regimental Combat Team, who cowed Dainmar Liao, created the Model Army, and rescued Robinson!  May her light ever guide the sons of the Suns, May our daughters ever endeavour to emulate her!

Horsemen

• Four for the price of one!
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Master Sergeant
  • CDT Agent #191
« Reply #36 on: 13 September 2023, 00:55:35 »
The Tempest is a solid design. I've had decent success with it in both campaign play and competitive. Especially when coming in to support the rest of the lance or to clean up after them.

Register