Author Topic: Mech of the Weekend: TMP Tempest  (Read 4899 times)

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
Re: Mech of the Weekend: TMP Tempest
« Reply #30 on: 11 September 2023, 22:58:09 »
The fluff in TRO 3150 suggests that the Wolf Empire was responsible for this upgrade,

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,47584.msg1132704.html#msg1132704

version: 1st PDF issue
New Tech, New Upgrades, BattleMechs, Tempest entry.
change "Wolves" to "Sea Foxes"
change "Angel II" to "Angell II"
Alpha Strike Introduction resources
Left of Center blog - Tukayyid Expanded Random Unit Tables, Nashira Campaign for A Game of Armored Combat, TP 3039 Vega Supplemental Record Sheets

Minemech

• Captain
« Reply #31 on: 11 September 2023, 23:01:53 »
 Honestly the C only has 1 item that is not necessarily an intuitive addition for an Inner Sphere power. That item adds much versatility, so all is well. A random Inner Sphere mechanic probably had already reverse engineered it upon seeing it.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #32 on: 11 September 2023, 23:52:03 »
https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,47584.msg1132704.html#msg1132704

I was not previously aware of this errata.  This makes much more sense.  I'll change the original post to reflect this new information
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #33 on: 12 September 2023, 08:49:08 »

Wasn't it supposed to be in response to the Guillotine C or something?
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #34 on: 12 September 2023, 09:12:52 »
Wasn't it supposed to be in response to the Guillotine C or something?

The important part is that it's built on Angell II, and that's not Wolf.  if the guillotine reference also needs to be errated, then it will be.  The writer of the entry was confused and thought Angell II was Wolf, when it's not. 

ah, Angell II was also making the Guillotine, and upgraded to the Guillotine IIC. so that reference is fine.
« Last Edit: 12 September 2023, 09:14:56 by nckestrel »
Alpha Strike Introduction resources
Left of Center blog - Tukayyid Expanded Random Unit Tables, Nashira Campaign for A Game of Armored Combat, TP 3039 Vega Supplemental Record Sheets

Arkansas Warrior

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #35 on: 12 September 2023, 10:50:34 »

I've always liked the Tempest.  Seems like a well-designed mech, if a bit short-ranged in focus (oh, for one that swaps the LPL for an ERPPC, like a FWL-flavored Falconer!).

Aesthetically, it reminds me of the Guillotine, especially in the flared shoulders, cleft feet, and the way the head sits between the shoulders, below...a thing (spotlight for the Guillotine, ML for the Tempest).  The armament is different, but not completely unlike the GLT; SRM6 is still there, collection of mediums, etc.  I wonder if there's any relationship there.

Capability wise, it fits neatly into a slot with several others of similar tonnage and armament.  I'm thinking here of the Cestus, Jinggau, Helios, etc: low-end heavies with a gauss rifle as primary armament.  Obviously there are differences; the Jinggau is 5/8/5, the Cestus doesn't jump and has better mid-range guns, the Helios has an SFE and bad armor, etc.  But generally speaking they're solid, reasonably dependable heavy troopers.
« Last Edit: 12 September 2023, 10:54:27 by Arkansas Warrior »
Sunrise is Coming.

All Hail First Prince Melissa Davion, the Patron Saint of the Regimental Combat Team, who cowed Dainmar Liao, created the Model Army, and rescued Robinson!  May her light ever guide the sons of the Suns, May our daughters ever endeavour to emulate her!

Horsemen

• Four for the price of one!
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Master Sergeant
  • CDT Agent #191
« Reply #36 on: 13 September 2023, 00:55:35 »
The Tempest is a solid design. I've had decent success with it in both campaign play and competitive. Especially when coming in to support the rest of the lance or to clean up after them.