Author Topic: Danger Everywhere  (Read 9109 times)

2ndAcr

• Captain
Danger Everywhere
« on: 20 November 2023, 19:28:58 »
12 March 3050
System 118756

Major William Mitchell, Commander 2nd Battalion, 2nd Oberon Guards, inhaled the foul stench aboard the ancient Invader Jumpship, but it was better than the smell on his Overlord Dropship whose air scrubbers had given up any effort of removing smells. It had been a long 8 months since leaving Placida to raid Dichell and then Paran and Vannes on the way back home. Along with his own Battalion, he had a Company of Infantry from the Sigurd Guards onboard a just as old Fury Dropship. He knew he had been given the mission as punishment, along with his people, for always protesting the bad treatment of the people they protected. The third collar was taken by a beaten up Mule Dropship which carried their booty of food, Agromechs and confiscated trucks. He continued making his way to the Jumpships bridge while his mind thought of fresh air, warm shower and most of all gravity.

Entering the Invader's bridge, he called out to Captain Felicia Graves. "Felicia, please tell me we are ready for the final jump."

Captain Felicia Graves slowly turned to face him. "Will, what are you doing up here? You should be belted in for the jump."

"I could not take the stench any longer. I swear they assigned me the worst damned Dropship in the Oberon Fleet for this mission." Major William Mitchell replied

"Well, you will be glad to know we just triple checked everything and we are set for the 5 minute countdown. Get strapped in that empty couch and ride it out up here." Captain Felicia Graves said pointing to an empty spot on the bridge.

Major William Mitchell did as instructed as the 5 minute jump warning sounded. Once firmly strapped in, he smiled as the thought of some relaxation after months away.

12 March 3050
Placida, Oberon Confederation

The ancient Invader Jumpship materialized at the Nadir Jump Point and immediately proximity alarms sounded on the bridge startling everyone. Captain Felicia Graves began giving orders as the sensors began coming back online. "Invader Jumpship 1,300 kilometers starboard. I do not recognize the transponder. We are being hailed."

"Unidentified vessel this is Clan Wolf Jumpship Excellence, state your intentions."

"Who the hell is Clan Wolf? And what are our intentions?" Captain Felicia Graves asked and then "Another transponder just lit off moving at speed from close orbit of Placida. Not sure what it is but it's increasing speed. CWS Arms Reach."

Unstrapping from the couch, Major William Mitchell replied "Half the weapons on these Dropships don't even work. So fighting any sort of space battle is out. I vote we take that damned Jumpship and get the hell out of dodge as quick as we can."

"You better move quick then. No telling if that Invader is ready to jump or not, but it's sail is still deployed so probably not." Captain Felicia Graves said as she start shouting orders to unfurl the sail for recharge. Luckily, Placida was 21 days at 1g thrust to where they were. But that CWS Arms Reach was pushing 2.5g by her computers calculations.

"Tell the Fury to detach and make for that Invader. Load tranq guns. Once we are away from here, we can question them and maybe get some answers. You might want to prepare to abandon this ship and move over there." Major William Mitchell said

"Do I respond to that hail?" Captain Felicia Graves asked

"Sure, why not. Tell them we plan to take their ride away from them and make them prisoners. The Fury should be there in no time." Major William Mitchell replied as he exited the bridge and headed for his own Overlord.

The emergency detachment and hard boost for the unknown Jumpship caught Captain Marcus Wright by surprise. But he could almost read Major Mitchell's mind and quickly figured out what was what. "Load up the tranqs. Dart anyone who even looks hostile or does not obey a command. We all hate zero g crap, but we have done it before."

Once the Fury had docked with the unknown Invader, they were surprised when the hatch opened. On the other side was the biggest woman he had ever seen. She grabbed his lead man and with hardly no effort snapped his neck. "Sweet jesus!!!!" He yelled as he put 8 tranq darts into the hulking woman and she still managed to sling another of his men into the bulkhead hard enough to break bones. As his people pushed their way into the Jumpship, they faced several more big assed people, only they were using live ammo. He lost 17 more people before his enemy were covered in tranq darts and silently floating in the attached cargo bay.

"Second Platoon, take engineering. First Platoon secure this cargo bay and our ride, get those prisoners secured. Tightly. Third Platoon follow me to the bridge." Captain Marcus Wright ordered

It took 30 minutes to secure the Invader Jumpship. They lost another 19 men to whoever the giants were. But they now had ten of the hulking people tightly secured with cargo rachet straps in the cargo bay. "Ship secure Major, but damned if it was easy. The Captain is still awake and says we won the Trial of Possession. Wants to know who they now serve. What do I tell him?" Captain Marcus Wright said over the radio

"First ask him how ready they are to jump." Captain Felicia Graves cut in

Captain Marcus Wright asked and got an answer quick. "Says they just need to furl the sail. But your going to need to crew this ship, his people are going to be out for 8 hours at least."

"That settles it. We are all moving over there quickly." Captain Felicia Graves replied

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
Re: Danger Everywhere
« Reply #1 on: 20 November 2023, 19:43:35 »
Cool!  A new one!  I look forward to seeing where this one goes! :)

EAGLE 7

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #2 on: 20 November 2023, 19:43:59 »
 Ace is back,
 Mitchell is back back again.
Ping
      Ping
“ My Clan honor is bigger than your Dragon honor, and comes in 18 clan flavors.”

2ndAcr

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: 20 November 2023, 22:00:14 »
13 March 3050
System 119628

The jump from Placida had gone smoothly and the decision had been made to get a good night sleep before questioning their prisoners. Major William Mitchell had enjoyed the clean fresh smell aboard CWS Excellence and his rest had been quite refreshing. The units medics looked after their wounded and monitored the prisoners until they began to awaken. He decided to eat breakfast before starting the questioning.

Point Commander Trisha was still groggy from the massive doses of sedative she had been shot with but slowly the fog cleared. She could see Star Captain Branden walking towards her while pausing every now and then to check on one of his crew. "Point Commander Trisha you are awake and not still under the effects, Quiaff?" Star Captain Branden asked

"Aff, I am awake." Point Commander Trisha replied as she stuggled to move.

"Your bonds should tell you that we lost the Trial. Currently, we are prisoners." Star Captain Branden said

Point Commander Trisha quite struggling against the cargo straps binding her arms and legs as the shame of defeat washed over her. "Prisoner? Not Bondsman?"

"Neg, not Bondsmen. They do not know our ways, not Clan. The commander identified himself as a Major of the 2nd Oberon Guards." Star Captain Branden said

"My wounds?" Point Commander Trisha asked

"Bruises. They used tranqulizers. One of my crew died from overdose before their medical people could counter it, but they tried. That was our only true casualty. Your warriors fought hard, taking 36 of theirs and wounding another 22." Star Captain Branden said

"Then they outfought us if they were using non lethal." Point Commander Trisha replied

"Mainly sheer numbers Point Commander. There was too many of them to counter. I will see about getting you untied. For now, we abide by the Trial and conduct ourselves with honor. Quiaff." Star Captain Branden said

"Aff Star Captain." Point Commander Trisha replied

Two hours later, Star Captain Branden was in front of Major William Mitchell in what had been his own quarters. "You may sit." Major Michell said

Star Captain Branden sat in one of the small fold down chairs facing Major Mitchell but remained silent.

"My name is Major William Mitchell, in case you forgot. I did not get your name?" Major Mitchell said

"Star Captain Branden."

"Thats it? Just a rank and first name?" Major Mitchell asked

"No member of this ships complement has won a Bloodname." Star Captain Branden replied

He had no clue what a Bloodname was, but let it pass, he was after different information right now. "Okay Star Captain. What is Clan Wolf and who do you serve?" Major Mitchell asked

"Clan Wolf is the premier Clan. I served Clan Wolf but you won the Trial of Possession. Normally, if another Clan were to win, I would serve them. Now, I do not know." Star Captain Branden replied

"You would serve the winner? You would switch sides that easily?" Major Mitchell asked

"It is the Clan way. I would be made a Bondsman and after I had proven myself then I would be accepted among them." Star Captain Branden stated

"That's just crazy. No way would I trust a Drac or Cappie. Ever." Major Mitchell paused when a knock interrupted. "Enter."

Captain Felicia Graves entered the small office/room. She nodded as she sat on the small bed. Major Mitchell introduced her to Star Captain Branden. "This is Captain Felcia Graves, she is currently in command of this Jumpship."

Both saw the visible flinch from Star Captain Branden at those words. "I have to commend you on this ship. It is very well maintained and cleaner than any I have seen." Captain Graves said

"It would be dishonorable to have a ship in poor condition." Star Captain Branden replied

"The Star Captain here was telling me how if we were, what is it, Clan, how he would be some sort of Bondsman to the winner of the Trial. How he would serve them until he earned their trust and then be accepted by them." Major Mitchell explained

"Really, well if you want to test that, put them to work fixing the scrubber on your Overlord. The stink is starting to foul this ship. Lord knows your Dropship crew can't fix it and I am loathe to order my people onto that nasty Dropship." Captain Felicia Graves said

"Hmmph. How about it Star Captain Branden? Think your people could fix that air scrubber?" Major Mitchell asked

"I would like to have Point Commander Trisha and her warriors released from their shackles. The have muscle I might need." Star Captain Branden replied

"Those giants? I don't know about that. They did a lot of damage." Major Mitchell replied

"On my honor, they will be no trouble." Star Captain Branden replied

Shadow_Wraith

• Lieutenant
« Reply #4 on: 20 November 2023, 22:05:24 »
nice new story!  looking forward to this!

Brother Jim

• Lieutenant
« Reply #5 on: 21 November 2023, 14:30:55 »
Nice !!!

2ndAcr

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: 21 November 2023, 20:50:12 »
14 March 3050
System 119628

"Stravag!!!!" Warrior Dolph cursed as the worst stench he had ever smelled hit him like a sledgehammer and almost made him retch. He stepped aside so that the former Clan engineers could pass by and try to get the air scrubber back online. What he assumed were the Overlord engineers directing the former Clan engineers to where the equipment was located. He took the time to look around at the gathered Spheroids and he could easily pick out the "warriors" from the lower caste. His eyes easily noted that while everyone was dressed the same and sported side arms, the "warriors" walked with a confidence in the way they wore their weapons. He nudged one of his Point mates and thrust his chin towards the cradled Battlemechs. "Worse equipment than we would give solahma troops."

"Locusts, Wasps and Stingers. They look old and worn out." Warrior Cheka replied

A voice behind them said "They are worn out and old. But they are all fully functional."

Both Warrior Dolph and Warrior Cheka turned to see Major William Mitchell standing behind them with Star Captain Branden. They both bowed their heads slightly expecting some sort of punishment, be it verbal or physical. But both were surprised when neither came. If the roles were reversed and a "prisoner" had done as they, they would not have hesitated to punish the infraction.

Major William Mitchell read the looks and said "Relax, you just stated the truth. No harm in doing that. I would love for my people to have the best equipment, but I lack that ability to make it happen."

Star Captain Branden spoke next "Warrior Dolph, Cheka, I think it is time for both of you to join the engineers and assist them." Both nodded but also noted the Star Captains eyes and it said they could expect a chewing out later.

Major Mitchell tapped Star Captain Branden on the arm and gestured they leave the Dropship. A couple of reasons, they were just in the way and he did not want to spend another second in the stench. Once back inside the Jumpship and the door sealed, Major Mitchell said "Tell me more about your culture, Clan Wolf and their customs."

15 March 3050

"We were able to restore the Dropships air scrubber. It will take many days to remove the odor. It would be quicker to lock everything down and just vent the interior to vacuum and then restore atmosphere. It would at least kill all the odor producing bacteria." Tech Raines said

"That would consume most of our available water to do so." Star Captain Branden replied

"It would Star Captain. There is a asteroid belt in this system. We could locate one of ice and bring it back aboard." Tech Raines said

"We do not have the mining equipment nor proper EVA suits for that sort of task." Star Captain Branden replied

"Aff, we do not, but we do have two points of Battle Armor. They can accomplish the task." Tech Raines said

"What are Battle Armor?" Major Mitchell asked

"It is what Point Commander Trisha and her people wear into battle. They are in the cargo bay inside transport containers." Star Captain Branden said

"Show me." Major Mitchell replied

They located Point Commander Trisha and had her open up the container holding her suit of Battle Armor. Major Mitchell looked at the large humanoid suit. "Is it armed?"

"It is battle ready. Battle Caw left hand, Anti Personnel mount left arm, Small Laser on right arm, twin short range missile launcher with two reloads. Ninety meter jump range and max speed of 10.8 kilometers per hour." Point Commander Trisha replied 

"You wear one of these into battle?" Major Mitchell asked

"Aff." Point Commander Trisha replied

"Seems suicidal." Major Mitchell said

"I would gladly battle one of your Battlemechs solo." Point Commander Trisha baited

"Can they be disarmed?" Major Mitchell asked

"Aff, the weapons can be removed." Point Commander Trisha replied

"Then make it happen. We still have a few days recharging and if it speeds up getting rid of that smell all the better." Major Mitchell said

Elmoth

• Major
  • Periphery fanboy
« Reply #7 on: 22 November 2023, 18:13:36 »
Nice! "Bonded" wolvies servinf the oberons. Nice.

2ndAcr

• Captain
« Reply #8 on: 22 November 2023, 18:20:23 »
17 March 3050
System 119628

It had never occurred to Major William Mitchell that even unarmed, the Elementals now inside their suits could overpower his people with no problems at all. But now watching them board the Dropshuttle for the ride to where they had located a ice body in the asteroid belt, the thought suddenly sent a shiver down his spine. A suit stopped in front of him.

"If we had the time to suit up, you would not have won your Trial of Possession Major Mitchell. But we have all given our word as our bond, so if you are suddenly realizing that fact, we will not break our bond." The voice of Point Commander Trisha said from external speakers.

"That is still to be seen Commander Trisha. I can only hope that what you say is true." Major Mitchell replied and watched as she boarded the Dropshuttle and the hatch closed.

He waved over Captain Felicia Graves "Felicia, we have explosives aboard. Have your engineers find locations where we can safely deny this vessel to someone. Or at least deny them it easily. But also where WE can repair the damage."

"Trouble?" Captain Felicia Graves asked

"Not yet, but I want an ace up our sleeve just in case." Major Mitchell replied

19 March 3050

"Seventy, one cubic meter squares. Just over 70 tons of ice. Where do we put it?" Point Commander Trisha asked

"We have a 30,000 gallon water tank on our Mule Dropship. It is probably under a quarter full right now. Is it going to be enough?" Major Mitchell said

Engineer Tech Raines did some fast math, "Probably not, we might want to empty that tank and then refill it to be on the safe side. Hydrogen will be created also so we can refill our fuel tanks and the Dropships."

"I did not think about that. Good work Tech Raines. Commander Trisha, up for another run or two when we need it?" Major Mitchell said

"Aff. We can do it." Point Commander Trisha replied

"Aff means yes, correct?" Major Mitchell asked

"Aff, I mean yes." Point Commander Trisha replied

"Good, get some food and a decent rest. Thank you and thank your people for me. Good work out there." Major Mitchell said

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #9 on: 22 November 2023, 18:26:37 »
70 cubic meters of ice would be a bit less than 70 tons of water... ;)

AlphaMirage

• Major
« Reply #10 on: 22 November 2023, 18:30:47 »
70 cubic meters of ice would be a bit less than 70 tons of water... ;)

Beat me to it, Daryk

Also Gallons!

Barbarians

Anyway keep it up 2ndAcr, loving it thus far

2ndAcr

• Captain
« Reply #11 on: 22 November 2023, 18:48:02 »
 8 lbs to the gallon, a cubic meter of water is 919kg or 2026 lbs. By math anyway. Roughly 17,400 gallons.

Now figure out how much Oxygen can be extracted from that much water and Hydrogen. Cause I am not even going to make the attempt. Hand wave incoming.
« Last Edit: 22 November 2023, 18:50:27 by 2ndAcr »

Gorgon

• Warrant Officer
  • The little duchy that could
« Reply #12 on: 22 November 2023, 19:11:14 »
8 lbs to the gallon, a cubic meter of water is 919kg or 2026 lbs. By math anyway. Roughly 17,400 gallons.

Now figure out how much Oxygen can be extracted from that much water and Hydrogen. Cause I am not even going to make the attempt. Hand wave incoming.

By weight, water is made up of ~89% oxygen and 11% hydrogen, so one ton of ice will get you 818 kg oxygen and 101 kg hydrogen.  :wink:
Jude Melancon lives!

AlphaMirage

• Major
« Reply #13 on: 22 November 2023, 19:16:37 »

You are adding yourself to my list of arch-rival swipers Gorgon, along with Daryk.

Its about 0.89 by mass Oxygen, so 817.9Kg per cube (~25Kmol). 101Kg of H2 (~50.5Kmol). Since they are both gases volume is subject to pressure and temperature. However, you need an inert mixing gas (or you know fire hazard) or for the O2 to be at a low pressure. So hopefully the Clanners mined some Ammonia ice as well that can be split down to N2 (and 3H2, more fusion fuel).

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #14 on: 22 November 2023, 20:05:16 »
A cubic meter of water should be 1,000 kg... assuming it's just water, of course...

AlphaMirage

• Major
« Reply #15 on: 22 November 2023, 20:13:24 »
A cubic meter of water should be 1,000 kg... assuming it's just water, of course...

Liquid water, Water Ice is different (0.91g/mL).

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #16 on: 22 November 2023, 20:15:25 »
True, but that's not what he said... ;)

AlphaMirage

• Major
« Reply #17 on: 22 November 2023, 20:21:23 »
She said ;)

Clan Warriors probably didn't get good chemistry training, particularly Elementals. That's Scientist Caste problems.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #18 on: 22 November 2023, 20:23:25 »
Heh, good point! ;D

Dave Talley

• Major
« Reply #19 on: 22 November 2023, 20:52:54 »
Pinggety ping pong!
Resident Smartass since 1998
“Toe jam in training”

Because while the other Great Houses of the Star League thought they were playing chess, House Cameron was playing Paradox-Billiards-Vostroyan-Roulette-Fourth Dimensional-Hypercube-Chess-Strip Poker the entire time.
JA Baker

2ndAcr

• Captain
« Reply #20 on: 22 November 2023, 20:56:15 »
20 March 3050
System 119628

"We need to figure out what we do once we leave here. Where do we go? We already know the Oberon Confederation is no longer safe for us. Star Captain Branden confirmed that for us. So let's all lay it on the table and come to a decision." Major William Mitchell said to the gathered officers.

"I am not keen on heading to the Federated Commonwealth. I am sure I have charges of desertion waiting for me." Captain Marcus Wright said

"Not sure I want to tangle with any more Clan folks, not yet anyway. I just want to put some solid ground under my feet for a bit. Collect my thoughts." Lieutenant Paul Frazier said

"Anywhere we go, there is a chance of tripping over Clan Wolf or another one. This is a large invasion I have been told by Star Captain Branden. But I agree, some ground time would really be nice. So where do we go?" Major William Mitchell asked

"Has to be fairly close, interstellar close that is. Two month travel at the most. Not until we refresh our air supply, restock on water and all the other stuff. Last Chance and Botany Bay are the closest." Captain Felicia Graves replied

"Both belong to a Clan Jade Falcon. Star Captain Branden told me that Clan Jade Falcon is not as easy going as Clan Wolf. Plus we are trying to avoid tangling with any other Clan troops. How far to Stars End?" Major Mitchell asked

"Almost two months unless we go direct thru the Oberon Confederation via uninhabited systems. I know the route we can take. The Excellence is in great shape but lord knows the Dropships could use a proper flushing out and yard time. Not sure what we will use to pay for it though." Captain Felicia Graves said

Major William Mitchell looked around the table and got nods from the gathered officers. "Very well, Stars End it is. We leave the moment we are sure we have enough water, oxygen and fuel stocked up. We will deal with the payment side once we get there."

Once the meeting had broken up, Major Mitchell went looking for Star Captain Branden who he found sipping a mug of tea on the grav deck. He grabbed a cup and took a seat across from him.

"We will be heading to Stars End from here. Couple months. I need an honest answer, if we trip over a Clan Wolf force, where do you and the former Clan Wolf people stand? I would rather not have to post guards and watch my back." Major Mitchell asked

Star Captain Branden frowned a little before answering. "I am sure that all of us would rather not have to face that possibility. We have given our word and that is our bond. We are no longer Clan Wolf, but they are still part of our blood. Though we are not free of our bonds, we are a part of this command now. I would prefer not facing Clan Wolf in combat."

"Honest answer. Stars End is not a very friendly place, we can easily get into a fight." Major Mitchell said

"I am sure Point Commander Trisha and her warriors would not shy away from a fight if that happens. The shuttle can provide us protection at the jump point. Jessica is a fine pilot and if not Freeborn, she would be in a frontline unit." Star Captain Branden said

mikecj

• Major
  • Veteran of Galahad 3028
« Reply #21 on: 22 November 2023, 21:57:37 »
TAG'd!  Thanks for sharing!!
There are no fish in my pond.
"First, one brief announcement. I just want to mention, for those who have asked, that absolutely nothing what so ever happened today in sector 83x9x12. I repeat, nothing happened. Please remain calm." Susan Ivanova
"Solve a man's problems with violence, help him for a day. Teach a man to solve his problems with violence, help him for a lifetime." - Belkar Bitterleaf
Romo Lampkin could have gotten Stefan Amaris off with a warning.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #22 on: 23 November 2023, 06:03:34 »
Star's End should be interesting! :)

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #23 on: 23 November 2023, 09:32:38 »
Locked on!  Nice to see 2ndAcr writing again!
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Elmoth

• Major
  • Periphery fanboy
« Reply #24 on: 23 November 2023, 10:02:00 »
What forces are in Star's end?

We know the protagonists have:
- 2nd Batallion Oberon guards. No idea on composition; probably 30-ish mechs after the raids
- infantry contingent (batallion?). They lost like a platoon in the assault, so must be numerous to have been able to overpower the enemy under such circumstances.   
- A star(?) of 25(?) elementals,
- 1 or 2 ASF (I think).
- 3 dropships in bad shape.
- 1 jumpship in pristine shape (by IS standards).
- A shuttle? Maybe the "ASF" I listed is really this... No idea.
« Last Edit: 23 November 2023, 10:51:51 by Elmoth »

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #25 on: 23 November 2023, 10:35:42 »
And some kind of shuttle, I think...

Elmoth

• Major
  • Periphery fanboy
« Reply #26 on: 23 November 2023, 10:52:18 »
Good catch. Adding it to the list. Maybne the ASF I listed are actually a combat shuttle of some kind.

2ndAcr

• Captain
« Reply #27 on: 23 November 2023, 10:58:29 »
 Gonna drop this here. I am free writing this one. No clue where this will go, no real thought given to anything past the newest post etc. I am rusty so not ready for a massive "track" the Inner Sphere, massive workload. Though some is just in my nature.

Current TOE of 2nd Oberon

36 Battlemechs (1 Thunderbolt, bunch of bugs and mediums)
 3 Platoons of dirty grunts rifle (was four but they lost 1 taking the Jumpship)
 10 Elementals (2 Points)
 1 Mark VIIC Shuttle
 1 K-1C Dropshuttle
 1 Overlord Dropship
 1 Fury Dropship
 1 Mule Dropship
 1 Invader Jumpship

All the Oberon folks are "misfits". They don't torture, mistreat for fun etc like normal bandits. So they never fit in with the others and got grouped together and used on long range missions. Does not mean they are not good at what they do, because they are very good. They make large use of Tranqs to avoid inflicting casualties needlessly on raids. If they can "sneak" up on a barracks of militia and tranq all the "enemy" so much the better. They have barrels of the powerful sedatives.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #28 on: 23 November 2023, 11:54:39 »
Is the tech staff separate, or do they dragoon the infantry into helping with maintenance?

Elmoth

• Major
  • Periphery fanboy
« Reply #29 on: 23 November 2023, 12:39:35 »
Actually, the use of tranqs would make a lot of sense in the Inner Sphwre warfare in the 3rd war. Avoid unnecessary loss of life and material. This is why merc life would be popular. D mechsbusing training fire. Pirates (and scrualminvasions, of course) would be the ones relying in live ammo.

It changes the setting, i know, but i think it makes sense in the general narrative. Formclans as well, actually, as they avoid waste.

Elmoth

• Major
  • Periphery fanboy
« Reply #30 on: 23 November 2023, 17:44:19 »
After TOE of the 2nd Oberon Guards... Do we have an approximate TOE for the pirates of Star's End? I have no idea who rules there at the time either.

They can end up fighting... or joining forces.

2ndAcr

• Captain
« Reply #31 on: 23 November 2023, 19:21:55 »
 Okay, I had to plan something out. On arrival at Stars End there will be the following:

Red Demons (Pirate) - 1 BM Comp, 2 Inf Com, Converted Overlord, Merchant
 Bobby's Butchers (Pirate) - 1 BM Lance, 1 Armor Comp, Inf Batt, Seeker, Scout
 3rd Oberon - 2 BM Lance, 1 Inf Comp, Overlord, Merchant
 12th Star Guard - 1 Inf Comp, 1 Aero Squad, 380 support troops, Condor, Leopard CV, Invader
 10th Donegal Guards - 2 Inf Comp, 300 support troops, Invader, Condor, Mule
 8th  Arcturan Guards - 2 Armor Batt, 1 Inf Comp, 1 Aero Squad, 375 support troops, Triumph, Condor, Leopard CV, Invader

The two pirate bands have not tangled with the Clan and are keeping their heads down from the AFFC troops. The AFFC survivors and others are taking a breather after the mad scramble to flee the Clans.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #32 on: 23 November 2023, 19:39:57 »
That's DEFINITELY going to be interesting! ;)

Dave Talley

• Major
« Reply #33 on: 23 November 2023, 22:50:43 »
With this title I hear Steve Irwin yelling Danger Danger
Resident Smartass since 1998
“Toe jam in training”

Because while the other Great Houses of the Star League thought they were playing chess, House Cameron was playing Paradox-Billiards-Vostroyan-Roulette-Fourth Dimensional-Hypercube-Chess-Strip Poker the entire time.
JA Baker

False_Prophet75

• Recruit
« Reply #34 on: 24 November 2023, 09:05:27 »
Careful there mate, you’ll give the clanners ideas….. next thing you know croc wrestling will be a new form of Trial…

2ndAcr

• Captain
« Reply #35 on: 24 November 2023, 14:40:04 »
8 April 3050
System 119628

"One last load of ice and we will be fully resupplied. All three Dropships are now habitable again. I have plotted our route to Stars End and have it all worked up. With help from Star Captain Branden." Captain Felicia Graves said

"Best news I have heard so far. Something I been wondering, why have the Clan Wolf folks not been searching for us? It damn sure has kept me a little nervous." Major William Mitchell asked

Star Captain Branden spoke up "I am sure they have been. From Placida, there are 83 systems within 30 light years. That is a lot of searching. Using the ships navigational telescope, we have monitored several systems and think we have detected the arrival and departure of searching vessels. We can not be sure but on review you can see the changes in the readings. I doubt the Khan will pursue the matter any longer, it is a waste of valuable resources to keep searching."

"Even better. So, take me thru the route we are taking." Major William Mitchell replied

"We are going to do 9 jumps. One deeper into the void before swinging back towards Stars End. Mainly because after talking with Star Captain Branden, he has given me a good idea of the regions where Clan Wolf and Clan Jade Falcon ships are moving primarily. I want to avoid those if possible. Hence the backtrack so we can line up better with our main route to Stars End. The biggest question is if Clan Wolf holds it or not. We will not know that until we get there. Which is scary." Captain Felicia Graves said

While the senior officers were holding their meeting, down on the Grav Deck and various Dropships, the enlisted and lower ranks performed their regular duties. Sergeant Bruce Crumbly was on the Excellence in one of the cargo bays watching the former Clan Elementals prepare to head out on the last ice recovery mission. He had only spoken to a few of them and then very briefly, but he was a curious sort by nature so he approached them semi cautiously. One of those he had spoken to before nodded as he approached.

"May I help you Sergeant Bruce?" Warrior Valto asked, not ready to address anyne by a last name

"Are all of your infantry like you?" Sergeant Bruce Crumbly asked

"Neg. We are of the Elemental phenotype. Specially bred this way." Warrior Valto replied

"Then how would a normal person, say me, wear one of those suits?" Sergeant Bruce Crumbly asked

"The suits are adjustable to some extent. Not every Elemental is the same size. The Clan's have normal sized infantry also. But never in frontline status." Warrior Valto said

"Were you in frontline service?" Sergeant Bruce Crumbly asked

"Once. I was deemed too old to continue." Warrior Valto replied

"Too old? How old are you?" Sergeant Bruce Crumbly asked

"32. That is old by Clan warrior standards. All of us are over 30, the oldest is Narhal over there at 35. We all managed to Trial for a posting in the invasion." Warrior Valto replied

"32 is too old? I am 39 and in peak physical condition. If I was in one of the House militaries I could easily serve for another 25 years. That is just crazy. 32 is the age when you finally know your job well enough to be called proficient at it." Sergeant Crumbly said

He did not notice several of the Mechwarriors had drifted over to listen. A voice caused him to turn slightly "Hell, I am 41 and plan to pilot a Battlemech another 20-30 years if I don't get killed first."

"I have a question. Do you use Battlemechs or is it just you big boys and girls?"

"The Clan uses Omni Mechs for frontline duty. We have Battlemechs also in Second line and garrison." Warrior Valto replied

"What is an Omni Mech? What's different about it?" Another asked

The barrage of questions were making Warrior Valto a little nervous, it really was not his place to talk about such things. Sergeant Crumbly picked up on this and said "Easy folks, let's not push too far too fast. How about everyone write down the questions and we will have the Major get some answers to them. Let's let Valto get back to preparing for his mission."

As the group broke up, Warrior Valto nodded again to Sergeant Crumbly before returning to his tasks.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #36 on: 24 November 2023, 15:15:38 »
I'm wondering if the Loki plant has outed themselves... ;D

Sir Chaos

• Captain
  • Artillery Fanboy
« Reply #37 on: 24 November 2023, 15:23:33 »
Using the ships navigational telescope, we have monitored several systems and think we have detected the arrival and departure of searching vessels.

They are aware, I assume, that what they see in neighboring star systems happened years ago?
"Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl."
-Frederick the Great

"Ultima Ratio Regis" ("The Last Resort of the King")
- Inscription on cannon barrel, 18th century

Elmoth

• Major
  • Periphery fanboy
« Reply #38 on: 24 November 2023, 17:32:57 »
It is a battletech navigational telescope.

Magic in the works.

Move along citizen. :p

2ndAcr

• Captain
« Reply #39 on: 24 November 2023, 18:38:14 »
9 April 3050
System 119628

"How much tranq we still have?" Major William Mitchell asked

"Enough to knock down a town if we need to. Six 55 gallon drums of the stuff, seven really but we already broke the seal on that drum. Why, we expecting trouble?" Captain Marcus Wright replied

"No, but Stars End could be trouble and I want to make sure have enough on hand. You now I prefer to inflict as few causalties as possible. That is why we have always used the Battlemechs to draw off defenders while your folks slip in and tranq anyone and everyone else to get what we wanted. That Clan tech was the first person we had lost to tranqs in a long time." Major Mitchell said

"He took four tranqs. Medics just could not get to him until the fight was over. We were spraying them like crazy at the time. Normal person a single tranq will take them out in less than 30 seconds, pop them with two and it's damn near instant. Those big assed Clanners took six plus to put down. We would have been screwed if we had been on a surface. Only a 25 meter range. At least in zero G they keep going until they hit something. It's not the juice we need to worry about it's the darts. We only have a few hundred of those left, we bent the crap out of the needles on those that missed taking this ship. Of course we get new needles and we can reuse the darts." Captain Wright replied

"We will scrounge around on Stars End for some. Not going to hold out hope though. How are the troops handling the Clan people?" Major Mitchell said

"There is still some hard feelings on our side, lot of good troops lost in the fight. But nothing serious. Though getting fresh air and no smell in the Dropships has raised morale quite a bit. They all know those big folks did the hard part to make that happen too. Sergeant Crumbly has sort of taken the lead on opening communication with the big people. From what I gather, he has sort of gotten on friendly terms with one of them." Captain Wright replied

"Good, very good. I have been told that those armor suits they use can take down a Battlemech. They fight as a squad or point as they call it. Five to a point or squad. Twemty five in a Star, three Star to a Company or Trinary for those armor suits. Regular infantry is twenty five to a point, 125 to a Star. It it sort of confusing. I have heard so many terms, Trinary, Binary, Nova, Cluster. I have it all written down in my quarters. Five Battlemechs to a Star and 15 to a Trinary, there version of a Company. Which means no Company on Trinary fights if I can avoid it. But on the armor suits, I would love to have them as a force multiplier." Major Mitchell said

There was some hesitation from Captain Marcus Wright before he replied "Let's not get too ahead of ourselves yet sir. Not sure any of us are ready to fully integrate those folks in fully armed suits. I lost over a platoon taking them down without them in suits, I don't think we could bring one down in a suit before we all got wiped out."

"I did not say we were doing it right now, just saying I would love to have that as an option. My main concern though is support. All sorts. We have 36 battlemech techs. I cannot even keep up with normal maintenance needs much less battle damage. You have four mechanics and I know your guys help with the maintenance load on the four APC's. But we get into a hard fight, well we have a glass jaw. We would not have the ability to repair battle damage or even reload in a decent amount of time. I barely have enough spare parts, armor or ammo for much more than a really good fight. One fight and then I am down a bunch of Mechs." Major Mitchell said

"Not much we can do about those issues. I have no problems with my folks pitching in where they can to help with maintenance on your Mechs. They won't know squat about what to do, so they will have to be taught." Captain Wright replied

"Any help at all will help out a bunch. Thanks. I will have Jersey show them what to do." Major Mitchell said refering to his chief tech.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #40 on: 24 November 2023, 18:42:33 »
Well played, good sir, well played! ;)

2ndAcr

• Captain
« Reply #41 on: 25 November 2023, 15:31:03 »
7 June 3050
Stars End

When CWS Excellence materialized at the Nadir Jump Point it caused total chaos among the various Jumpships there that no amount of communication could calm down as multiple Jumpships made emergency jumps from the system. There was a look of bemusement on Star Captain Brandens face while Captain Felicia Graves was one of embarrassment.

"The transponder codes. We forgot to change the codes." Captain Felicia Graves said

"Well, one thing is for sure, those folks on the surface are not going to be very happy to see us because now they have no ride out of here. I doubt any of those Jumpships are going to come back, not anytime soon anyway." Major William Mitchell replied

"I am sorry sir, it just slipped my mind completely." Captain Felicia Graves said

"No sense crying over what cannot be undone Felicia. But how about we get those codes changed before we forget again." Major Mitchell replied

"I will get on that right away." Captain Felicia Graves said

"The hull also needs to be changed. This ship still has Clan Wolf markings." Star Captain Branden said

"Let's figure out something different for that. It might come in handy and buy us some time if we run into another Clan ship. Maybe find a way that we can make it a temporary cover, one that can be removed when we need to show the Clan Wolf markings." Major Mitchell replied

"That will take some thinking on. But if we do that, then I will save the transponder code so that we can switch it at will." Captain Felicia Graves said

"If you would like, I offer my assistance in making the changes." Star Captain Branden said

"While you both work on things up here, I guess I will get everyone ready to head for the surface. For security, I am going to leave Point Commander Hugo and his people up here, you should see any danger coming with enough time to get them suited up to repel any boarders. I will take Point Commander Trisha and her folks with me. I might need some extra muscle but I am going to keep them under wraps as best I can." Major Mitchell said

"Your going to let them arm the suits?" Captain Felicia Graves asked

"Yes. It is time to start trusting them. There has been no trouble with any of them since we took the ship. Everyone has performed their tasks with no issues. It is time to start treating them as one of us." Major Mitchell said as he caught Star Captain Brandens eye. "Welcome to the 2nd Guards Star Captain Branden, you may inform all of the former Clan personnel that they are no longer, what was the term, bondsman. They are now equal members of this command."

"We will not let you down." Star Captain Branden replied

10 June 3050

The landing on the surface was uneventful, even with taking half a day to scan the surface from orbit before heading down. Scans had showed quite a few Dropships on the surface around the primary settlement on Novo Cressidas, the only planetary body in the system. Still, they landed over 15 kilometers from the settlement itself for safety. He marched his Thunderbolt down the ramp and joined his personal company of Battlemechs slong with Captain Marcus Wright and 2 of his platoons in their APC's for the trip to the settlement.

The third infantry platoon, remaining two compaanies of Battlemechs and Point Commander Trishia and her Elementals would remain behind to guard their grounded Dropships. He hoped to barter the supplies on their Mule for repairs, and anything else they might find and need down here.

As they approached, they passed the first set of grounded Dropships, all bearing the markings of the Armed Forces of the Federated Commonwealth. He could not make out what command they belonged to, but it was obvious that it was two different commands. They had enough guards out that he avoided any contact with them. His radio chirped "Sir, I have eyes on a Overlord, it has the marking of the 3rd Oberon."

"Where, okay I see it now. Well, let's go on over and say hello, see what they can tell us. But cautiously, the Third has alway been a bunch of scumbags." Major William Mitchell replied

When they reached the grounded Overlord, they were met by a single Oberon officer and a small gathering of infantry personnel. Major William Mitchell dismounted his Thunderbolt and greeted the "welcoming" party. "Major William Mitchell, 2nd Oberon Guards."

"Lieutenant Frank Langston. We heard Clan Wolf had entered the system. How did you get past them?" The man asked

"Long story. What happened back home and why are you here?" Major William Mitchell asked

"We cut tail and ran. Barely made the Merchant before she bailed. Those Clan Wolf folks ripped us to shreds and I doubt they even broke a sweat doing it. I want no part of them." Lieutenant Langston replied

"We were on a long range raid, missed the action, but got chased from Placida by Clan Wolf. Needed ground time and came here. You in charge?" Major Mitchell asked

"No sir, Captain Randal is. Him and most of the others are in town, probably drunk on the local hooch." Lieutenant Langston replied

"Randal, Curtis Randal?" Major Mitchell asked

"Yes sir. That is him." Lieutenant Langston replied

Captain Curtis Randal, of all people to survive. Major Mitchell thought. There were few in the Oberon Confederation more cruel that Randal. Treated his people like total trask, which most of them were, but had a fondness for the ladies and the word no meant nothing to him. "Well, I know him. You need anything?"

"We could use some food if you can spare it. We jammed the Dropship with spare parts and ammo, but seems we went shy on food." Lieutenant Langston replied

"I think we can spare some food for you and the troops here. I will have it sent over while I head into town and locate Captain Randal." Major Mitchell said

Once he had remounted his Thunderbolt and secured the cockpit he thumbed the radio on a secure frequency. "James, you on?"

"Yes sir, what gives."

"Seems you might get your wish after all, seems Captain Randal from the 3rd Oberon is in town." Major Mitchell said calmly

"That worthless piece of trash. Your going to let me do what needs to be done?" Corporal James Patney asked

"He raped and disfigured your little sister. So yeah, we find him you can have your revenge. No torture, we don't do that." Major Mitchell cautioned

"I don't like that stuff either. But beating him to death with my bare hands okay." Corporal James Patney replied

"Then let's go locate him and dispose of a waste of oxygen." Major Mitchell said

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #42 on: 25 November 2023, 15:40:12 »
Well then!  Looks like the 3rd Oberon Guards are falling under the 2nd... ;)

2ndAcr

• Captain
« Reply #43 on: 25 November 2023, 22:30:47 »
11 June 3050
Stars End

At the last minute, Major William Mitchell had decided to wait until the next day to go on their hunt for Captain Curtis Randal. They had spent the night aboard their Dropships. As the group headed back towards the main settlement, no one said much on the short ride over. Major Mitchell had decided to take just the APC's loaded with Corporal James Patney and 2 platoons of infantry. He really didn't want to start a Mech battle inside that settlement and the APC's would be easier to move down the streets.

The first bar was the seediest place they had ever seen and the folks inside were the type you saw and shot on sight. But Major Mitchell waved the troops off. The second was full of passed out AFFC personnel but they struck paydirt on the third bar. Major Mitchell entered the bar with a single platoon of armed infantry. He kicked the sleeping Captain Randal off his chair and sent him sprawling on the floor.

"WHO THE HELL DID THAT!!!!" Captain Curtis Randal yelled as he staggered to his feet.

"Major William Mitchell, 2nd Oberon Guards. Your all under arrest for desertion in the face of the enemy. But you Captain Curtis Randal have an additional charge of rape and grievious bodily harm to answer for." He said calmly

Captain Curtis Randal tried to shake the fog from his brain as he processed what he had just heard. His hand slowly dropped towards his holstered pistol but then his eyes focused on the barrel of a pistol in his face and he froze. "Move another milimeter and I am going to carry out your execution right here." Even over the ruckus around them, he could clearly hear the words being said.

"A few just bolted out the backdoor Major!!" Came a shout from the rear of the building.

Major Mitchell, still aiming his pistol at the face of Captain Randal lifted a hand communicator and said "Point Commander Trishia, execute Plan Bravo please."

"Aff, moving now." Came the reply.

"James. The Captain here is all yours."

Corporal James Patney disarmed Captain Randal of his still holstered pistol and looked the Captain square in the eyes. "You raped and branded my little sister five years ago. She was only 16 years old. Now you pay for that with your life." He hit Captain Randal with a haymaker of a right hook sending the Captain to the floor of the bar once again. As Captain Randal started to get to his feet Corporal Patney kicked the Captain square in the face knocking several teeth out. For five minutes Corporal Patney pounded Captain Randal without mercy, tears streaming down his face as his emotions took hold of him. Finally he rose from the unconcious Captain Randal and turned to Major Mitchell who had been standing close by the entire time. His revenge had been sated, his sister avenged.

"I'm done sir." Corporal James Patney said as he looked at his swollen hands.

"Then I will finish it. If we find a way, we will go back and get your sister." Major Mitchell said

"No need, she commited suicide a year ago. I have no one else except the unit sir." Corporal Patney said as he walked to the door.

"You two get that piece of filth and hang him from the lamp pole out side. Gather the rest and get them back to their Dropship." Major Mitchell ordered

It only took an hour to get back to the Overlord Dropship hauling the surviving 3rd Oberon Guards. Captain Marcus Wright, in the lead APC was surprised to find everyone sitting on the dirty ground, several sporting bandages, on their arrival. Then, inside the open hatch of the Overlord, he saw one of the armored former Clan keeping silent watch whiel remaining mainly hidden. Once they had all dismounted, he walked over to Major Mitchell.

"What the hell sir?" Captain Marcus Wright asked

"My plan B if any got away from us. No sense losing a Dropship in the process. I had them move out early this morning before sunrise." Major Mitchell replied with a smile. He raised his hand communicator "Point Commander Trishia, status?"

"Dropship secured. No fatalities as ordered. Thirteen wounded."

"Very well, excellent work." Major Mitchell said and then raised his voice "Lieutenant Langston, front and center!!" A figure stood slowly and made his way towards him. His face was swathed in bandages. "Jesus Lieutenant, what happened?"

"I did not realize what I was attacking or I would have cut and run. That claw caught me and ripped my cheek open." Came the mumbled reply.

"That took guts. Now, spill your crimes to me. Most of the 3rd Guards were the lowest of the low. You get one chance to come clean with me." Major William Mitchell said

"None sir, I was not part of the 3rd Oberon Guards. Me and my company were part of the Crellacor Guards Mechanized Infantry Battalion. When the collapse happened we hijacked a shuttle and headed for the jump point. Captain Randal and his ship were right behind us sir." Lieutenant Langston said slowly thru his bandages

"Gather your personnel and move them over to our right." Major Mitchell ordered

It took several minutes as a few had to be carried. Finally, there were a total of 71 from the 3rd Oberon Guards in a group. Major William Mitchell walked until he was standing in front of them. He scanned the group and did not see a single bandage on any of them or obvious wounds. He spat on the ground before he said "SO, not a one of you fought to protect your Dropship. A Guards command. Though I am sure those that were here were support troops. Move over there with the Crellacor people. Dropship crew also."

Fifty two people stood and walked over to join the Crellacor troops leaving 19 plus the 17 pulled from the bar which were shoved into the group. They were a hostile and sullen group.

"Your Captain Randal is dead. Executed for rape and desertion. I am Major William Mitchell 2nd Oberon Guards. Your all guilty of desertion. So you have one chance to confess your crimes to me and convince me your worth saving. Which I highly doubt you can because the 3rd Oberon is the bottom of the outhouse." He scanned the faces in front of him and grimaced. "You know what, I am not going to waste my time. Get up and start walking. Get out of my sight. MOVE!!!"

The group wasted no time in taking off at a full run, most heading for town, some for the hills in the distance. He turned to Captain Marcus Wright. "I will send a Company over to help secure this Dropship. Your in command here. Arm Lieutenant Langston and his people. Should be a couple platoons worth. There was always a rumor that some of the 3rd Oberon was working with pirates from Stars End. Real pirates, slavers, the absolute worst kind."

"Yes sir. Think we are about to have trouble?" Captain Marcus Wright asked

"I would bet on it. Can you think of a pirate band that would turn down a Overlord Dropship?" Major Mitchell replied

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #44 on: 26 November 2023, 05:46:05 »
The AFFC units could probably use it too... ;)

Elmoth

• Major
  • Periphery fanboy
« Reply #45 on: 26 November 2023, 08:21:08 »
The AFFC commands are over-dropshipped, if that is a thing. Looks like they took a massive beating, so they have spare transport capabilities. I doubt they want to get into a shotout for something like this.

Looks like the 3rd is growing. Lets see what mechs and other stuff they find inside the cargo area of the overlord. And what the 3rd and pirates throw back at them. Considering that they still need to negotiate with the pirates, it can be tricky.
« Last Edit: 26 November 2023, 09:06:01 by Elmoth »

cawest

• Captain
« Reply #46 on: 26 November 2023, 10:48:50 »
star's end might have some TDF armored space suits.  someone might be able to mix and match with some work PA(L)s to come up with something.  I think by now the Grey Death had tested some prototypes that one or two in the AFFC might have heard about.  One damaged clan BA could get you a platoon of Sloths, just rip out the mine ejector for some real weapons. 

2ndAcr

• Captain
« Reply #47 on: 26 November 2023, 14:13:45 »
12 June 3050
Stars End

A quick inventory of the 3rd Oberon Guards Overlord Dropship showed it held 2 lances of battle worn Battlemechs. Several of the technicians explained that they had attempted as many repairs as they could but lacked the proper parts to complete them. They had even printed out a complete report on the battle damage of each Battlemech and presented it to Major William Mitchell, who looked it over.

Archer ARC-2R - Left Arm actuator destroyed, medium laser destroyed, 53% armor loss
Victor VTR-9S - AC/20 destroyed, 42% armor loss
Charger CGR-1A5 - Left Knee actuator destroyed, both SRM-6 destroyed, 61% armor loss
Charger CGR-1A5 - AC/20 destroyed, right arm destroyed/missing, 69% armor loss
Rifleman RFL-3N - Left Arm destroyed/missing, right arm large laser destroyed, 55% armor loss
Shadow Hawk SHD-2H - Right arm destroyed/missing, medium laser destroyed, 71% armor loss
Shadow Hawk SHD-2H - Left arm destroyed/missing, AC/5 destroyed, 62% armor loss
Locust LCT-1V - Left arm destroyed, medium laser destroyed, 38% armor loss

He showed the list to Master Tech Jersey Franklin who looked it over. "The Locust is the only one we can fully repair. We have the parts for that onboard our Dropship. Unless you want to salvage the Charger missing the AC/20, we could then fully repair the other one. Same for the Shadow Hawks, salvage one to repair the other."

"No sense in it, it would run us too low on replacement armor. Lock them down hard so that they cannot be moved easily or quickly." Major Mitchell said and then headed outside.

Just over 30 kilometers away, Sergeant Yance Gormly, 3rd Oberon Guards, was sitting in front of Bobby Wanzuma and Oscar Lopez, both commanders of the local pirates on Stars End pleading his case. It was risky, but unless he struck a deal, he was stranded on Stars End. "Captain Randal is dead. Them bastards hung him. Between you, you have them outnumbered in ground troops and as for Battlemechs you outmass them. The 2nd Oberon is a light weight unit for raiding. Mainly bug mechs. The only advantage they have is a few of them Clan armor suits."

"What do we get out of this and what do you want in return?" Bobby Wanzuma asked

"One of the Overlord Dropships and help repairing the Battlemechs aboard my old ship. You can have everything else." Sergeant Yance Gormly replied

"How about it Oscar, is it worth the risk?" Bobby Wanzuma asked

"Three Dropships. Yeah, I think it is worth it. I have some folks keeping tabs on the AFFC and Mercs that are not far from them, no Battlemechs to be seen, but the AFFC folks do have a company of armor at least but they are keeping them close to their Dropships." Oscar Lopez replied

"Okay then, how fast can you be ready to hit them? Figure we hit one of their locations and the move to take out the other. That sound okay?" Bobby Wanzuma asked

"Two days, gives me time to sober up the troops. Plus I want to put some closer eyes on both sites before we strike." Oscar Lopez said

"Then we make it three days. No sense rushing things." Bobby Wanzuma replied

13 June 3050

"Major Walter Duboise, 8th Arcturan Guards. That is Captain Ingrid Edwards, 10th Donegal Guards and Lieutenant Janet McFadin, 12th Star Guards." The short man introduced the small group.

"Major William Mitchell, 2nd Oberon Guards. Or what is left of them."

"How did you get passed the Clan Wolf ship that entered the system?" Major Duboise asked

"We actually rode it in. We got lucky and overpowered it. Forgot to change the transponder codes, sorry for scaring all your rides away." Major William Mitchell explained

"Must be one hell of a story, because they ripped us to shreds. I just hope our rides actually come back for us." Captain Ingrid Edwards said

"What was the beef with your fellow Oberon folks?" Lieutenant Mcfadin asked

"Deserters. Not to mention complete waste of oxygen. The 3rd Oberon were some of the worst types that walk on two legs." Major William Mitchell replied

"And your not?" Major Duboise asked

"We were on a long range mission when the assault went down. We arrived at Placida close to the Clan Wolf Invader. We took it over but something called a Vincent was leaving close orbit and doing a high speed burn towards our location. We made a snap decision and jumped from the system. Made our way here." Major Mitchell explained

"Okay. I will accept that. So, what can we do for you?" Major Duboise asked

"Looking for some trade. Maybe offer a mutual assistance pact while we are all down here. This is a dangerous place after all. I have some wounded I would like to get proper medical care for, I have some medics but they can only do so much." Major Mitchell said

"We can help with that. We have quite a few doctors and even a MASH truck. We will send it over. As for a mutual aid pact, we will have to think about that some." Major Duboise replied not wanting to give away that they had no Battlemechs and their troops were pretty shell shocked at their crushing defeat at the hands of Clan Wolf and Clan Jade Falcon.

"The help is much appreciated. If you need anything, let me know." Major Mitchell said

Sir Chaos

• Captain
  • Artillery Fanboy
« Reply #48 on: 26 November 2023, 14:59:38 »
Even if the AFFC and mercenary jumpships don´t return... that 3rd Oberon Guards jumpship is a Merchant, so it should have a free collar. In a pinch, they could abandon the 2nd´s Mule dropship, cram all AFFC and mercenary personnel onto the two Condors and take those with them.

I have a feeling that this would be enough to earn them safe passage out of the FedCom after they dropped off the AFFC and mercenary personnel.
-Frederick the Great

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #49 on: 26 November 2023, 15:51:38 »
The 2nd came in with three DropShips (Overlord, Fury, and a Mule).  The 3rd's JumpShip hightailed it with the rest of them, I thought...

2ndAcr

• Captain
« Reply #50 on: 26 November 2023, 19:30:08 »
15 June 3050
Stars End

The first Jumpship to return to Stars End materialized at the Nadir Jump Point, it was quickly followed by another. Both Invaders were fairly close together and each of them carried a Dropship, in this case a Leopard CV on each one which was quickly detached, and fighters began launching and forming a CAP. While they no longer broadcast a Clan Wolf transponder code, any close examination would reveal the Clan Wolf logo on their hull.

"Comms, hail them and lets see if they believe we are no threat." Captain Felicia Graves said

"This is 2nd Guards Jumpship Excellence to arriving Jumpships. We are not hostile. Please respond." This was transmitted multiple times with no response, yet the sensors showed both Leopard CV and their fighters starting to head towards them.

"Keep sending the message. Nav, double check that we have the Zenith Jump Point correctly plotted, it will at least buy us a couple days before we are force to confront them." Captain Felicia Graves said

"Captain, transponder codes identify the Invaders as FCS Beluga and Ever Reach. I checked them against our arrival, and both were here."

"Very well, they are returning for whoever they left on the ground." Captain Felicia Graves said

"They are sending coded comms to the planet surface. Probably telling them they are back."

"Time for the transmission arrival and response?" Star Captain Branden asked

"Eighteen minutes each way."

"Sensors show the arrival of those fighters at one hour twenty minutes at the current rate of thrust. We can wait a little longer before we have to jump." Star Captain Branden said

On the surface, Major Walter Duboise hurried to the Dropships communication station the second he heard their rides had returned. The initial message had also said they were investigating another Jumpship whose transponder did not show in any databank.

"Send this back to them. Leave the Jumpship alone unless it makes a hostile move. Focus on making ready to receive Dropships for return to safe space."

Thirty minutes later aboard Excellence, Captain Felicia Graves and Star Captain Branden breathed a little easier as they watched the incoming AFFC force turn around and head back towards their Jumpships.

"That was close, we still another 30 minutes to safely furl the sail." Captain Felicia Graves said

Back on the surface, Major Walter Duboise took an APC over to where he knew Major William Mitchell was located. He was not surprised when the Major did not hesitate to walk over to greet him.

"You need something Major Duboise?" Major Mitchell asked as he offered his hand

Shaking the offered hand Major Duboise said "Our rides have returned. Well, two of the three anyway. We will be leaving in a few days, give them time to recharge."

"Trying to make it back to FedCom space?" Major Mitchell asked

"We have to try." Major Duboise replied

"I understand and wish you all the luck. If the third Jumpship does not come back, what are you going to do?" Major Mitchell asked

"Destroy them on the ground and cram everyone we can into what is left." Major Duboise replied

"Since your here, it saves me a trip. I ran a silent patrol last night and it looks like the locals are planning something, lots of activity at their respective bases. Might want to prepare yourselves accordingly." Major Mitchell said

"We will do that. If we call for help?" Major Duboise asked

"They are a threat to both of us. So, if you call, we will come running. Can I count on the same?" Major Mitchell asked

"Yes. The only heavy stuff we have are Patton tanks, no Battlemechs." Major Duboise revealed

"I really don't like waiting to get hit. I would hit them first, but I am short of my primary tool for that sort of thing." Major Mitchell said

"What are you short of?" Major Duboise asked

"Needles. Over the last couple years we have made use of tranq darts. Powerful sedatives. But we are down to only a couple hundred left. Avoids casualties and taking damage." Major Mitchell replied

Major Duboise laughed out loud as he answered "Needles, I think I can help you out with that. Our Mule has about 1100 tons of medical supplies. I am sure there are several thousand needles in that cargo." Major Duboise said

"If you could spare a few thousand, then I will make extremely good use of them. My ground pounders are experts in getting in close and quiet to use them." Major Mitchell replied with a smile

"They are all yours then. I will head back and start locating them, send them over as soon as we locate them." Major Duboise said as he got back into the APC

Major William Mitchell turned and yelled "Captain Wright, we are going to work."

"What gives?" Captain Wright asked as he reached Major Mitchell

"We are going to hit the pirates before they can hit us. Seems the Feddies have several thousand needles and are going to let us have them. So break out the sleepy juice and get your people briefed. They are 30-35 kilometers from here, so the Battlemechs can be there quick, I will have Point Commander Trishia accompany you as immediate fire support until we get there. Take down the mech pilots and any Dropship crew first. We can easily deal with Infantry troops if we have to do it the hard way. We strike tonight." Major Mitchell explained

"I will get everything ready. I was not looking forward to a conventional defense. This is much better, it's what we have done quite a few times. Sneak in, dart them and make off with the goods before they wake up." Captain Wright said

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #51 on: 26 November 2023, 19:59:07 »
And bonus points for making nice with the FedCom, too!  I'm sure there'll be an MIIO rep wanting to talk to them soon... ;)

cawest

• Captain
« Reply #52 on: 26 November 2023, 20:06:51 »
i foresee many naked pirates left behind.  duct tape a few upside down for extra points. 

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #53 on: 26 November 2023, 20:37:35 »
Looks things are going get hairy.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants

Elmoth

• Major
  • Periphery fanboy
« Reply #54 on: 27 November 2023, 04:41:02 »
Updated TOE of 2nd Oberon
Major William Mitchell
Star Captain Branden

36 Battlemechs (1 Thunderbolt, bunch of bugs and mediums)
 3 Platoons of dirty grunts rifle tranqs (was four but they lost 1 taking the Jumpship)
 3 Platoons of mechanized infantry (Crellacor Guards Mechanized Infantry Btn). Lt Langston
 10 Elementals (2 Points). Point Commander Trishia
 1 Mark VIIC Shuttle
 1 K-1C Dropshuttle
 1 Overlord Dropship
 1 Fury Dropship
 1 Mule Dropship
 1 Invader Jumpship "Excellence". Caaptain Felicia Graves

70-ish techs and Astechs
Crews of the dropships

STORED
Barrels of tranq
Archer ARC-2R - Left Arm actuator destroyed, medium laser destroyed, 53% armor loss
Victor VTR-9S - AC/20 destroyed, 42% armor loss
Charger CGR-1A5 - Left Knee actuator destroyed, both SRM-6 destroyed, 61% armor loss
Charger CGR-1A5 - AC/20 destroyed, right arm destroyed/missing, 69% armor loss
Rifleman RFL-3N - Left Arm destroyed/missing, right arm large laser destroyed, 55% armor loss
Shadow Hawk SHD-2H - Right arm destroyed/missing, medium laser destroyed, 71% armor loss
Shadow Hawk SHD-2H - Left arm destroyed/missing, AC/5 destroyed, 62% armor loss
Locust LCT-1V - Left arm destroyed, medium laser destroyed, 38% armor loss

2ndAcr

• Captain
« Reply #55 on: 27 November 2023, 11:50:42 »
 You forgot the 2nd Overlord Dropship that the 3rd Oberon had.

2ndAcr

• Captain
« Reply #56 on: 27 November 2023, 13:17:45 »
15/16 June 3050
Stars End

The troops began heading out at 11pm local time riding the APC's until they were 4 kilometers from the nearly twin pirate compounds. Both were almost identical setups, ramshackle barracks, a single Dropship pad at each one and several low slung warehouses. At 3am local time on the 16th after marching the last 4 kilometers, Captain Marcus Wright gave the signal to take out the few guards which was accomplished quickly. Two squads in each compound made their way across the compounds and made entry into the pirate Dropships.

Slowly and quietly both teams fired tranqs into sleeping Dropship crewmen and anyone else they located, not knowing what job they actually held. The rest of the force waited until both Dropships were declared secure before making their entry into the compounds to begin their task of taking down the camps themselves. A single squad was left aboard each Dropship, the personnel switching back to their rifles while holstering their dart guns. Anyone trying to enter the Dropships would face deadly force. But at least they had secured both pirate groups Battlemechs denying them their most powerful weapons.

By 4am, the compound containing the Red Demons was declared secure while the group tasked with securing the compound of Bobby's Butchers was only half completed when the first gunshot echoed across the compound. Captain Wright cursed as he thumbed his communicator. "Darts are out, we go live. Fall back to secure area and prepare for a fight. Point Commander Trishia, you may join the fight now." He watched as one of his teams dragged one of his from a barracks.

"Aff, on our way." Point Commander Trishia replied as she triggered her jump jets leaping over one of the warehouses into the compound. Her point following her move.

She opened fire on a group running for the Seeker Dropship dropping the group of 5 to the sand. Her suit easily deflected the shots fired at her as enemy troops exited various barracks and began firing. Her sensors identified her point of Elementals also returning fire while advancing on the enemy. "Watch our fire, we have friendlies out there that we cannot easily identify. She triggered her SRM's into a barracks silencing all resistance from that particular building. She continued advancing as shots ricocheted off her suit. She aimed low and fired a burst at the legs of enemy troops taking them to the ground. "Aim low, we have the situation under control. We are to avoid deaths when possible."

It took 10 minutes to finish eliminating any resistance. "Captain Wright, suggest everyone hold their positions until daylight. I do not wish to fire on our own by mistake."

"Roger that. Everyone hold your positions until daylight."

At 6:37am local time it was light enough to actually start moving around. Medics fanned out first checking for friendly casualties before starting treatment of the pirates. The APC's along with the AFFC MASH truck entered the compound led by Major William Mitchell in his Thunderbolt followed by the rest of his company. Once they had established a security screen, he dismounted and it was time to take account of what they now controlled.

Equipment Captured

1 Overlord Dropship (Converted)
1 Warhammer WHM-6D
2 Merlin MLN-1A
1 Catapult CPLT-C1
3 Panther PNT-9R
1 Wolfhound WLF-1B
2 Firestarter FSS-H
2 Trebuchet TBT-5N
6 Heavy Hover APC (MG)

1 Seeker Dropship (Mech)
1 Awesome AWS-8T
2 Zeus ZEU-6S
1 Archer ARC-2K
9 Heavy Track APC (MG)
12 Pegasus (Unarmed)
12 Pegasus (Missile)

Personnel Captured

Dropship Crew - 63
Mechwarrior - 39
Tech/Astech - 61
Infantry - 382 (42 WIA)

Major William Mitchell and Captain Marcus Wright looked over the very sullen captured that had not been knocked out sitting in the middle of the compound. He quickly identified several former 3rd Oberon Mechwarriors. "Boy, let you live and you just had to find a new cesspool to link up with. Here I was thinking I was rid of all of you and now I have to decide what to do with all you all over again."

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #57 on: 27 November 2023, 17:56:05 »
Where did Star's End get a Wolfhound? ???

Elmoth

• Major
  • Periphery fanboy
« Reply #58 on: 27 November 2023, 18:06:52 »
So, they captured all the pirate forces. Are they the masters of Star's end now? That looks easy...
Maybe too easy to be true.

2ndAcr

• Captain
« Reply #59 on: 27 November 2023, 18:46:01 »
 No, Stars End still is "owned" by those that run the space stations. They were just taking out the trash.

As for the Wolfhound, raiding the FedCom, its been out for over a decade.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #60 on: 27 November 2023, 18:47:56 »
True, but I thought there weren't that many of them, even after a decade...

georgiaboy

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #61 on: 27 November 2023, 19:43:17 »
Actually the Wolfhound has seen out for 22 years. Dan Alard got his hound after the Silver Eagle incident in ~3028.
« Last Edit: 08 December 2023, 13:00:18 by georgiaboy »
"Constructive critism is never a bad comment"
-Me

"By all means marry. If you get a good wife, you'll be happy. If you get a bad one, you'll become a philosopher."
- Socrates

vianca

• Sergeant
« Reply #62 on: 08 December 2023, 10:38:49 »
Heh, if they can hold Star's End, then they have a Shipyard.
Now all the other needed support equipement.
If only they could help relocate a few factory lines.

Plus finding enough trustworthy crew, to man it all.
If only they could get a few Phoenix Hawk factory lines and the last LAM factory, relocated.

Well, we will see what will happen, in tge next chapter.

2ndAcr

• Captain
« Reply #63 on: 08 December 2023, 17:37:52 »
16 June 3050
Stars End

"Felicia, have the shuttle come down and pick up Point Commander Trisha and her people. Be watching for these pirates Jumpships to return. If they do, it would be nice to capture those ships if we can." Major Wiliam Mitchell radioed to the Jump Point.

It took some time for the response to come back "Shuttle will be on the way. We already have the Zenith Jump Point plotted in case they come in there." Captain Felicia Graves replied

"Good thinking. Also, see if you can make contact with the folks running the repair facilities and see what they are going to charge us for basic maintanence and possibly modifications on Dropships. One of the captured Overlords has been modified to carry a full Battalion of Infantry plus a good supply quantity. I am going to assume it was done here, so ask." Major William Mitchell said

17 June 3050

"We are going to boost in two days and try to make it back to friendly lines. We only have six collars so we will be leaving a Dropships behind. If you want it, you can have it, or we will destroy it on the ground." Major Walter Duboise said

"I only have three collars myself right now. But I will take it and if I cannot put it to use, destroy it for you. What are you leaving behind?" Major William Mitchell asked

"Condor, the 10th Donegal's." Major Walter Duboise replied

"May I suggest you keep the Condors, leave the Triumph and take the pirate Seeker. That would probably be a more comfortable ride for you all. At least the extra bunks and life support will make it more tolerable." Major William Mitchell said

"That would require me to leave behind my only combat force outside of the Aerospace fighters. Not sure I like that." Major Walter Duboise replied with a frown

"You expect to make a landing where you might face a fight with the Clan's? Tell me your not that crazy. If so, pack the tanks onboard the Mule, it is not optimum, but there you go." Major William Mitchell said

"No, nowhere near that crazy. Heck, we are still sorting out how to carry enough water for the trip." Major Walter Duboise replied

"There are ten water tanks between both of the pirate bases. Each holds 20,000 gallons. Take 8 of them if you want. Their weight is nothing in the big scheme of things. I plan to take the other two with us." Major William Mitchell said

"Neighborly of you. I will take you up on the Seeker. I will also give you 800 tons of AFFC select field rations. Should be enough to feed you people for at least a year. I will also toss in eight Striker LRM light tanks and four Sleipnir APC's. I'll toss in some LRM ammo and replacement armor." Major Walter Duboise replied

"Gladly take the combat rations, but damned if I have the people to crew those vehicles or even maintain them." Major William Mitchell said

"Use them for trade if you want to, I have no need for them. They are my odd man out vehicles anyway." Major Walter Duboise replied

"Thanks, get your Mule over here and I will have my people throw in and help get the water tanks installed in the Mule. It will give me time to work out what I am going to do with all these prisoners. Damned if I am going to trust them as far as I can throw them with weapons." Major William Mitchell said

"I cannot help you with that decision. My advice, keep them under guard until you leave and then kick them loose. Stranded down here with no weapons to defend themselves. I don't have the space to haul them, even money says they are all wanted in the FedCom. Minimum of 15,000 C-bills per head for just being a part of a pirate band, more if they had a rap sheet." Major Walter Duboise replied

20 June 3050

With the departure of the AFFC troops and mercenary survivors, Major William Mitchell and his troops were alone on Stars End. He felt the tinge of some depression, with no idea of where to go or what to do when the call from Star Captain Branden came in.

"We made contact with those running the yards. They did do the conversion on the Overlord Dropship. But they ask for much in return." Star Captain Branden said

"Tell them we will trade them a fully functional Triumph Dropship and Fury Dropship to convert another Overlord Dropship to that Infantry version and to fully service all of our ships. See if that will be enough. We only have three collars so I am trying to maximize those collars best I can. If we do not get lucky, we might be forced to leave our Mule behind so we will need the additional cargo space that version has. Maybe even convert the third Overlord, but I am not sold on that yet. I also need a time frame to work with." Major William Mitchell replied

"Aff, I will relay that infomation to Captain Graves, she is conducting the negotiations on site with them." Star Captain Branden replied

"She has security with her I hope." Major William Mitchell asked

"Aff, two of Point Commander Fuykes warriors are with her and the shuttle." Star Captain Branden replied

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #64 on: 08 December 2023, 18:50:46 »
Two DropShips should cover the bill, yep... :)

2ndAcr

• Captain
« Reply #65 on: 08 December 2023, 20:05:52 »
20 June 3050
Stars End

Deep in the asteroid field, Captain Felicia Graves had spent th last two hours negotiating with the locals who ran the orbital repair facilities. She had been here twice before, it was the closest place to the Oberon Confederation to have any work done on Jumpships or Dropships. Word of the fighting on the surface had already reached those out here and that only made the locals more nervous.

"Look, we can trade two Dropships to cover the conversion of the Overlord in addition to maintenance on our other Dropships. They are in need of new air scrubbers at the very least." Captain Felicia Graves said

"Fighting with those here is not the best way to curry favor with us." The man replied

"I can agree to that, but we did not come looking for a fight. Do the work, take the two Dropships as payment and we will leave as quick as we can." Captain Felicia Graves said

"The conversion will take three months to complete, we have to enlarge the ships environmental systems and life support systems. Fabrication of the parts takes time. It cannot be done quicker. But, you must promise no more hostilities while you are here." The man replied

"We will not start anything, but neither will we stand by and be threatened or attacked without defending ourselves. I must be clear on this." Captain Felicia Graves said

"Agreed then. Your shuttle can handle transporting some of my people to the surface? They will begin work on your other ships air scrubbers and evaluating what other work needs to be completed. Also one of my pilots who will guide your crew to where we will work on the conversion." The man said

"We can handle that. How soon can they be ready for departure?" Captain Felicia Graves asked

"Within the hour." The man replied

"Very well. Have them at my shuttle ready to depart in an hour." Captain Felicia Graves said

Once back onboard the Clan shuttle, she relayed the deal to both Star Captain Branden and Major William Mitchell on the surface. Though the deal was expensive, it also washed away any hope of capturing one of the returning Jumpships for extra collar space.

"Star Captain Branden, have the other shuttle bring down Point Commander Trishia and her troops. Keep the others with you. They will stay with our Overlord while it is being worked on up there with our crew as security. We will rotate them every month back to the surface or Excellence. Possibly every two weeks. I want every move they make watched closely by our engineers." Major William Mitchell ordered

27 July 3050

The return of one of the Invader Jumpships that had departed with Major Walter Duboise was a surprise to everyone. It carried the two Leopard CV and nothing else. Communication was quickly established between Excellence and the returning Invader Jumpship.

"It was a trap. We went to Icar. Comstar said the coast was clear and no Clan troops. Major Duboise took the Dropships down. The only reason the Leopards made it back to us was they stayed in orbit. I have no clue where the other Invader went when we jumped out. The last message from the surface was a simple RUN ITS A TRAP. We delayed just long enough to scoop the returning Leopards."

EAGLE 7

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #66 on: 08 December 2023, 20:53:24 »
 Just when I was jones’n for some Mitchell-mania crack-fic.
“ My Clan honor is bigger than your Dragon honor, and comes in 18 clan flavors.”

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #67 on: 08 December 2023, 22:58:18 »
That seems a little early for ComStar to be turning coat...

2ndAcr

• Captain
« Reply #68 on: 08 December 2023, 23:38:30 »
 Canon, Focht was dispatched to negotiate with the Clans Jan 3050, assume command circuit and actual invasion of Inner Sphere (Wave 1) was not launched until March 3050.

It was then (three month window) that Comstar negotiated to administer the planets for the Clans, hamper HPG comms, etc. I am going to assume (in my canon anyway) that also includes guarding prisoners of the Clans.

vianca

• Sergeant
« Reply #69 on: 09 December 2023, 04:47:20 »
Well, looks like he has the extra collar that he needs.
Shame about that Seeker, though.
Same for those MASH trucks.
Will that mean a raid is in the works?

He needs self propelled artillery.
It's the only thing that can outrange the clan weapons.
Too bad he is all out.
So, will he start raiding the supply lines, in order to capture some clan jumpships with attached dropships?
Might net him some clan mechs, techs and so on.

I hope on a miracle, that that Seeker managed to get out with the MASH units, but to be honest, that's a very faint hope, what with Battlearmor being around.
Lets hope all those other jumpships can get back in those three months.
I do know that knowing that they can't trust Comstar...
Does Star's End have a Comstar HPG or not?
Because if it does, this would be a reason to capture it, Quiaff?
And they should share their finding with the shipyard folks, might let them sing differently.
Just knowing they are now completely isolated and no new work coming in, because of these clans......
Heh, Comstar just made themselves a target for them, considering they are working WITH the Clans, a trail of grevians(?), I'm sure the Clans can agree with.
Heh, could they use that to get those folks out, recover those dropships and perhaps get some jumpships back, with crews?

If only he could cature a full clan database, with enough techs to work with it.
I suggest that they check what the local shipyards used to be capable of making and if their captured clan folks can bring some of them back online.
Even if it are upgraded primitive royalty class jumpships, it's that or consider the Royalty & Tramp classes to be designed right on the switch from primitive to modern jumpcores, for civillian jumpships.

I really hope they can get something going.
Still a shame of that Seeker, since it had a hospital on board and might have been loaded with those MASH units as well.
Clan mechs are to normal mechs as what Royal mechs are to primitive mechs.
Elementals are like the strongest people around, so those trails the Clans like so much, are quite unfair.
Mmm, maybe that's what those damaged light mechs could be used for, fair trails.
Naturally, the mech warrior need similar testing range times & points, as well.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #70 on: 09 December 2023, 06:21:27 »
Thanks 2ndACR! :)

If Star's End had an HPG, I doubt it would have remained independent.  That said, I'm sure there's a ROM presence... ;)

2ndAcr

• Captain
« Reply #71 on: 10 December 2023, 21:32:51 »
30 July 3050
Stars End

"We are not sure exactly what happened on the ground but we got some good surface scans until the order to run came in. We have not taken a look at them in any detail, but outside of Cuanger we identified what looked like a fortified camp of some sort. We identified what look like barracks and guard towers." Captain Bruce Uvalde, Commander 2nd Squadron 12th Star Guard, said

"But you clearly got a all clear from Comstar? We sure it was not a Clan trick of some sort?" Major William Mitchell asked

"Icar is a Clan Wolf holding now. Using deception of that sort is not Clan Wolf's way." Point Commander Trishia replied

Captain Uvalde was still very wary of the former Clan warrior, having lost the entire ground force of the 3rd Regiment, 12th Star Guard to Elementals on Icar when they overran their Dropships. "It was Comstar that gave the all clear. Precentor of Icar himself."

"Point Commander Trishia, best guess on what forces are defending Icar from Clan Wolf?" Major William Mitchell asked

"I have no way of knowing that." Point Commander Trishia replied

"I asked for a guess, I am not going to hold it against you if your wrong. Use Placida as an example where we met you." Major William Mitchell said

"Probable a Garrison Trinary. From Epsilon Galaxy. Same as our former assignment. A Star of Battlemechs, Star of Elementals and Star of Aerospace Fighters." Point Commander Trishia replied

"I am still rusty on what that actually entails. Elaborate please." Major William Mitchell said

"Five Battlemechs, twenty five Elementals and ten fighters." Point Commander Trishia replied

"Correct me if I am wrong but bidding can decrease what we actually face in a fight correct?" Major Mitchell asked

"Aff, if properly bid, you can minimize the forces you would face." Point Commander Trishia replied

"And if we won, the Clan Wolf forces would hold to their word and give us what we asked for?" Major Mitchell asked

"Aff. But you would need to word the bid precisely." Point Commander Trishia replied

"That is something that you and Star Captain Branden can help me with. How about it Captain Uvalde, your people game to try and rescue our friends?" Major William Mitchell said

"Yes sir, if you can shorten the odds some. Those Clan weapons are not something I want to face without the odds stacked in my favor." Captain Bruce Uvalde replied
« Last Edit: 10 December 2023, 21:46:08 by 2ndAcr »

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #72 on: 11 December 2023, 04:17:18 »
If he pulls that off, the FedCom is going to owe him a solid!

Elmoth

• Major
  • Periphery fanboy
« Reply #73 on: 11 December 2023, 05:28:53 »
I would say the FedCom should integrate them as the core of a new unit.

Let's see....

2 elemental points (10 elementals)
A star of fighters (6 fighters, but IS fighters)
A bunch of mechs.
Infantry.

The mechs are the weak link here, unless they pull some stuff up. Infantyr would be an asset, but the clans hardly ever use that, so they are unlikely to accept regular infantry as a valid thing to bet.

2ndAcr

• Captain
« Reply #74 on: 16 December 2023, 13:18:05 »
19 September 3050
Icar (Clan Wolf)

CWS Excellence, Invader Jumpship, entered the Nadir Jump Point and detached three Overlord Dropships which began a 1G burn for the planet 16 days away. They were sporting the Clan Wolf transponder in case they tripped over a Clan Wolf ship. Star Captain Branden would make any radio calls if something unexpected happened. This was only phase one of the plan created by Major William Mitchell. While waiting for the conversions to be completed on their Dropships, he had come up with a plan that, while distasteful to the former Clan Wolf personnel as a violation of Clan practices, which he had reminded them that they were no longer Clan, it would avoid inflicting casualties on their former kin. He just hoped it held together and worked.

27 September 3050

As the three Overlord Dropships reached the halfway point and began their deceleration burns, SG Guardian, Invader Jumpship, materialized at a non standard point just two days from the planets surface. It detached two Leopard CV Dropships and launched a single Clan shuttle which headed for the surface whil;e both Leopard CV's remained behind to protect their Jumpship.

Knowing that the deceleration burns would attract attention, Major William Mitchell made the radio call which would either make or break his plan.

"Any station on Icar this is the 2nd Guards looking for a safe place to ground." He was met by silence for several minutes before a response came back.

"Calling station, this is Icar Comstar compound. Icar is secure and hostile forces have departed. The civilian space port is a mess but you may ground at Cuanger. Former AFFC garrison base so be advised there are several damaged Dropships already there. Transmitting coordinates."

Major William Mitchell looked at Captain Bruce Uvalde and said "Almost word for word what was recorded on your last visit here. So Comstar is helping Clan Wolf." He then replied on the radio "Roger that. Good news that those Wolf folks have passed thru, we don't want to mess with them again. Coordinates received. See you in a few days."

"Ths plan of yours is risky as hell." Captain Bruce Uvalde replied

"I prefer to avoid casualties when possible, besides, those Clan Wolf folks on the surface broke the rules first by using deception. Only fair that we return the favor." Major William Mitchell said

29 September 3050

Pilot Jessica piloting the K-1C Dropshuttle made a gentle landing in a clearing barely large enough to land. "Good soft landing." Captain Marcus Wright said as he unstrapped from his seat and moved to join his people. She had carried all three of Captain Wrights platoons along with both Elemental points. They were phase three of the plan. She had come in as slow as possible to avoid as much noise as she could even if it made controlling the shuttle harder.

"All right folks we have about 40 kilometers of hiking to do and three days to do it. Get all our equipment sorted out. We move at night only just in case they have patrols out running. Then we get to do some recon." Captain Wright said to his people. He then turned to Point Commander Trishia "You still want to go on your own?"

"Aff. We can move faster then you. I will have my Point in position by dawn tomorrow. Point Commander Derce and his warriors will remain with you." Point Commander Trishia replied

"Very well. You may head out when you are ready. We will join you in a few days." Captain Wright said

cawest

• Captain
« Reply #75 on: 16 December 2023, 14:37:59 »
would be nice if they can get some more battle armor.. even if slightly used.  that would be the way to the hearts of some of the Clanners that don't have a set. 

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #76 on: 16 December 2023, 16:51:15 »
This is going to be tricky to pull off, but Mitchell just might be able to... ;)

2ndAcr

• Captain
« Reply #77 on: 17 December 2023, 13:40:05 »
31 September 3050
Icar (Clan Wolf)

Point Commander Trishia watched with some admiration as Captain Wright's infantry assault teams quickly and silently took down the pairs of Elemental sentries around the small compound section Clan Wolf was using. They might be freeborn themselves, but she had to admire the skill they displayed. She moved her Point to the Elemental barracks while the other Point stationed themselves to deny access to Clan Wolf's equipment. The assault teams wasted little time in getting to their designated buildings and began making entry, silently. The four medics moved from downed Elemental to downed Elemental checking that they were stable and in no danger.

She reached out her battle claw and grasped the door handle of the Elemental barracks. A simple pull and the door was ripped from the hinges and her Point flowed inside smoothly. There was a crashing sound from inside and she made entry to see several Clan Wolf Elementals actually wrestling with one of her warriors battle suits. Another unarmored Elemental was thrown across the room followed by another to join the previous two.

"It is useless to resist. Stay where you are and this will be over soon." Point Commander Trishia said over external speakers

Once things calmed down enough she called Captain Wright. "Elemental barracks secured."

"We are almost done ourselves. Only problem is there are about 12 Elementals in the technician barracks. We did not expect them. I have four folks down hard with injuries." Captain Wright replied

"Do you require assistance?" Point Comander Trishia asked

"No, they are all down, it was just not expected." Captain Wright said

It took 20 minutes before the team of medics reached the Elemental barracks along with one of the regular assault teams. The medics moved to check the still konocked out Elementals that had tried a valiant resistance. Once Point Commander Trishia was convinced all was secure, she motioned for one of the "captured" Clan Wolf Elementals wearing the rank of Star Commander to follow her outide.

"Name." She ordered

"Star Commander Franklin. This was not an honorable attack. Your suit has Clan Wolf markings." Star Commander Franklin replied

"No more dishonorable than what you had planned. You were defeated in the same deceitful way in which you planned to defeat us. We are no longer Clan Wolf. We were taken in battle honorablly by the 2nd Guards and given a chance to become warriors again. We took it." Point Commander Trishia said

The "captured" Elemental absorbed this with a slight nod but still had a defiant look on his face. Captain Marcus Wright approached them and asked "Why is he not asleep?"

"This is Star Commander Franklin, I wanted to speak with him." Point Commander Trishia replied

"Well until those prisoners are freed, I do not want him on his feet. We will sort things out once the Major gets down here in a few hours." Captain Wright said

Point Commander Trishia quickly pulled a cord from one of the suits small compartments and wrapped it around the Star Commanders wrist before either could say a word. "Star Commander Franklin you are my bondsman. Defeated by deceit as you were going to use against us. Do you accept or request Bondserf?"

"Neg, I accept the bondcord." Star Commander Franklin replied

"You will remain here and assist Captain Wright in maintaining control, Quiaff." Point Commander Trishia said

"Aff. I will do as ordered." Star Commander Franklin replied

"Your warriors are to be tranqualized for their safety and ours for now. Go to the barracks and make sure this happens." Point Commander Trishia ordered

"Aff." Star Commander Franklin replied and headed for the barracks door.

"You seem to be pretty sure of this." Captain Wright said

"He will be no trouble to you. I will explain further once we have completed our next mission and Major Mitchell joins us. Star Captain Branden will agree with me." Point Commander Trishia said

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #78 on: 17 December 2023, 13:48:06 »
So far so good... ;)

Elmoth

• Major
  • Periphery fanboy
« Reply #79 on: 17 December 2023, 17:34:32 »
Waiting for the crap to hit the fan any time now.

georgiaboy

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #80 on: 17 December 2023, 17:45:45 »
Have they captured enough elementals to form a complete Star?
"Constructive critism is never a bad comment"
-Me

"By all means marry. If you get a good wife, you'll be happy. If you get a bad one, you'll become a philosopher."
- Socrates

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #81 on: 17 December 2023, 18:04:25 »
If they haven't, they're close! :)

2ndAcr

• Captain
« Reply #82 on: 17 December 2023, 19:02:58 »
1 October 3050
Icar (Clan Wolf)

Gunfire erupted from the prison compound for a few brief seconds before ending. Captain Marcus Wright did not hesitate and dispatched two of his platoons to assist Point Commander Trishia and her Elementals. Dawn was just breaking and he could clearly see the engine flares from the descending Dropships. Major Mitchell would be on the ground within the hour. He paced nervously before the radio came to life.

"The prison compound is secure." Point Commander Trishia said

"What the hell happened?" Captain Marcus Wright asked

"Walked into a roving patrol. They got off some shots before we brought them down." Point Commander Trishia replied

"Two platoons on their way to your location. Turn the operation over to them and you report back to me." Captain Wright said

"Aff Captain Wright." Point Commander Trishia replied

Point Commander Trishia and her Elementals returned as their Overlords were settling to the ground. Major William Mitchell was the first out of the Overlord Dropship in his Thunderbolt. He paused as he got his bearings and then walked to where both were waiting. He popped his cockpit and descended to the ground.

"Report?" Major William Mitchell said

"Both compounds secure. I have 4 lightly wounded, couple broken bones and bruises." Captain Marcus Wright said

"Acceptable." He said as he lifted a handheld radio "Captain Murphy, Brvao Company to the prison compound and provide overwatch."

Eight Locusts and four Stingers headed in the direction of the prison compound. Major Mitchell spotted an unarmored but obvious Elemental walking towards them. "Who is this big fellow approaching?" he asked as his hand dropped towards his holstered pistol.

"Star Commander Franklin, he is my bondsman." Point Commander Trishia replied

"Care to explain that a little more Poitn Commander Trishia." Major Mitchell said but kept his eyes on approaching man.

"He was defeated and I took him as my bondsman. Much as we once were, just not the Clan way." Point Commander Trishia replied as she waved Star Commander Franklin over. When he arrived she spoke again, "Star Commander Frankilin, this is Major Mitchell, our commander. Captain Wright, did Star Commander Franklin present any difficulties?"

"No, he did not give us any problems and actually helped keep those big folks in check. They are even still awake, under guard, but awake." Captain Wright said

She reached out and cut the bond cord from Star Commander Franklin's wrist. "I delcare you free of your bond cord. With Major Mitchell's permission, I declare you Abtakha."

Star Commander Franklin rubbed his wrist where the bond cord had been. But before he could speak Point Commander Trishia asked "How many of the others will join us and not be a problem?"

"Of my Star, three Points worth. The others will be trouble. Mechwarriors, two. Fighter pilots all of them. Those are the ones that protested Star Captain Manuel orders to use deception instead of battle." Star Commander Franklin replied

Major William Mitchell and Captain Marcus Wright exchanged looks but their attention was pulled to approaching vehicles, one of Captain Wrights infantry riding standing in the passenger seat of a jeep followed by ten trucks. They halted close by and people poured from the back of the trucks. "First load of prisoners. It is going to take at least another two to three trips to get them all over here."

"Lord your a sight for sore eyes." A voice said as the crowd parted slightly and Major Walter Duboise appeared from among the freed prisoners. He shook hands all around, even with Point Commander Trishia, he avoided Star Commander Franklin though.

"We got word on what happened and it just seemed like the right thing to do was to come fetch you." Major William Mitchell said with a smile

"Damn glad you did. I was getting real tired of playing wrench monkey. Manual labor is not something I am cut out for anymore." Major Duboise replied

"Fixing things?" Major Mitchell asked

"Collecting the wrecks from the various battle sites. Several big warehouses full of shot up Battlemechs, they done took the best ones and all the Dropships god knows where. Bunch of prisoners too." Major Duboise said

"Well now, let's go take a look at what we might be able to salvage from those warehouses." Major Mitchell said with a grin

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #83 on: 17 December 2023, 19:06:51 »
Sounds like victory to me... we'll see how long they can keep it that way... :D

cawest

• Captain
« Reply #84 on: 17 December 2023, 21:46:53 »
do they have any open drop collars?  might find a mule that could be put to rights at least enough for a one way flight the jumpship.  Or the locals might know where a damaged dropship is in orbit around the star.  It could be towed to the jumpship and then loaded using small craft if that is all that is left on the planet.  if they can find out when the next supply ship is coming?  then they could not the time line they have to work with.  i would not try any games, because an Odyssey or Monolith would be nice but you might get a bigger fish or one with alot mroe teeth 

2ndAcr

• Captain
« Reply #85 on: 18 December 2023, 19:42:09 »
1 October 3050
Icar (Clan Wolf)

"Wakey wakey." Major William Mitchell said as he nudged the shoulder of Star Captain Gorge with the toe of his boot. He kept doing it until the man started to stir before jerking upright on the floor.

"WHAT IS THIS!!!!" Star Captain Gorge yelled

"You lost. Simple really, you and Comstar planned to deceive us and ambush us. We are just sneakier than you folks. I have been told that you are not a very good commander, most of your troops hate you. Your cruel, your punishments are extreme and your basically a waste of the oxygen you breathe. When we leave, I am going to knock you and the others we leave behind back out. You can then explain how you managed to lose all your equipment, most of your troops, all of the prisoners and quite a few damaged but repairable Battlemechs to those above you. I for one want to personally thank you for the new ride. I am told your Thug has been reworked with your more powerful Clan weapons. I cannot wait to try it out in a fight. Right now, your alone in here but others will be joining you soon. I will have some food and water brought in for you. Tell your leaders that they have not heard the last of the 2nd Guards. Goodbye Star Captain Gorge." Major William Mitchell said as he turned and left the barracks.

He walked to where Captain Marcus Wright was standing with Major Walter Duboise. "That is one pissed off dude in there." He said with a smile.

Captain Marcus Wright handed over a list of what they had captured and would be taking with them when they left. "The techs sent this over while you were in there sir."

Major William Mitchell took the list and looked it over. "Bring down the Mule, we are going to need it."

Battle Ready

1 Thug (Modified with Clan Weapons)
 1 Wyvern WVE-5N
 1 Kintaro KTO-19b
 1 Hussar HSR-200-Db
 1 Thorn THE-Nb
 1 Rapier RPR-100b (Modified with Clan Weapons)
 3 Rapier RPR-100b
 2 Hammerhead HMR-HDb
 2 Zero ZRO-116b
 2 Hellcat II HCT-213C
 25 Elemental Battle Suits
 28 Patton Main Battle Tanks
 10 Heavy Hover APC
 18 Trucks Cargo
 3 Clan ERPPC
 2 Clan Streak SRM-6
 2 Clan Large Pulse Laser
 2 Clan Medium Pulse Laser
 1 Clan LRM-20
 20 tons Clan LRM-20 (Art) Ammo
 20 tons Clan Ultra 20 Ammo
 10 tons Clan Streak SRM-6 Ammo
 30 tons Ferro-Fibrous
 50 tons Standard Armor

"I don't see what they have pulled from the battle salvage?" Major Mitchell said

"Probably still looking that mess over. You saw the warehouses, it is going to take some time to figure out what is worth hauling off in a short time frame." Major Duboise replied

"Tell them to grab what they even remotely haul off or get loaded. Cancel the Mule, I want to get out of here quick. Pack everything we can into the Overlords. I am goign to head over to where Point Commander Trishia is talking with our potential new recruits. I sure hope this doesn't backfire on us." Major Mitchell said

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #86 on: 18 December 2023, 20:20:03 »
Cancel the Mule???

2ndAcr

• Captain
« Reply #87 on: 18 December 2023, 20:29:30 »
 Two days away, time to run for it.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #88 on: 18 December 2023, 20:31:54 »
Ah, that makes a bit more sense... maybe at least move some of the equipment further away from the ones they just royally pissed off?

Moriarty74

• Private
« Reply #89 on: 18 December 2023, 21:51:13 »
Hoping that they go ahead and destroy the warehouses and anything they can't haul off with them as well as some thermite type charges on any salvageable mechs to make sure that the losses are total for them.
"Like spirited Eridani stallions chasing after fat, clumsy Luthien cows" Anonymous Rasalhague Journalist, 2749

https://kushialbattletech.blogspot.com/

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #90 on: 19 December 2023, 17:29:26 »
That's haul, Trishia going have get promoted if she going be commanding the Clan elements.

Elmoth

• Major
  • Periphery fanboy
« Reply #91 on: 19 December 2023, 18:10:26 »
We already have a star commander, right? Trisha will command the full star of elementals.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #92 on: 19 December 2023, 21:09:16 »
Given she a Point Commander, in charge 5 Elmentals, she'd need to Trial of Position, if Major Mitchell knows anything how that works.

2ndAcr

• Captain
« Reply #93 on: 19 December 2023, 23:04:16 »
2 October 3050
Icar (Clan Wolf)

"Why the hurry, we could loot this place clean. Take every ounce of salvage we can." Captain Marcus Wright said

"Mainly because we just scored a great win. But in the process, we pissed off Clan Wolf and Comstar. Lest we forget we killed 6 and wounded 18 prison guards. We know they are working with Clan Wolf, how do we know they have not sent a HPG message, and the cavalry is already on the way? I do not want to be here when the cavalry arrives." Major William Mitchell said over coffee.

"I guess your right. One good thing is all our uniforms are unmarked, if Comstar manages to recover video feeds or those prisoners talk, they are going to see Clan Wolf armor suits doing the raid." Captain Wright replied

Before he could reply, Point Commander Trishia and Star Commander Franklin arrived. He gestured for both of them to have a seat and then asked, "Well, what is the final word on recruitment? And what happened to you two?" But he was also aware that both sported black eyes and a swollen lip between them.

"Your plan did not work. We were forced to use Clan methods." Point Commander Trishia replied

"And how did that work out?" Major Mitchell asked

"We won our trials. The final count is 20 Elementals, 3 Mechwarriors, 10 Aerospace pilots along with all the technical and laborer personnel. They are all now members of the 2nd Guards." Star Commander Franklin answered

"So, how do we put them to use? I know the Clan's use a base of five, but that creates a logistical challenge for us. Same for the rank structure. It is just too different and confusing for the majority of the members of the command. We are going to have to work this out once we get the hell away from here. Which I want to do tomorrow, hell or high water, we are boosting by noon. We head back to Stars End, get things sorted out before we try and get those freed prisoners that want to return back to FedCom space." Major William Mitchell said

"How did Major Duboise react to your wanting him to join us?" Captain Marcus Wright asked

"He is talking to everyone today. He wants to go back to the AFFC, he is a lifer. But he thinks most of the 12th Star Guard folks will fall in with us. Not all, but most of them. By the time we get back to Stars End we will have a good count and start working out a new TOE and force structure. We have no nation to bank roll us so I do not know how we pay anyone. None of us have been paid in a long time, not that we made much." Major Mitchell said

Before anyone could say anything else, a disturbance outside caused everyone to stand and head for the door. Outside, a small man was literally being help off the ground by one of the new Elementals. "What is this?" Point Commander Trishia asked

"We caught this person along the south fence." The massive Elemental said still dangling the small man in the air.

"Put him down." Major Mitchell said and then "Mind explaining who you are and what your doing snooping around?"

Once on the ground the small man adjusted his clothes. Star Commander Franklin was able to get a good look at the small man. "Comstar. He had dealings with Star Captain Gorge and no one else."

"That seals the deal then. Lock him down with his buddy Star Captain Gorge until we leave. Speed up the loading." Major William Mitchell ordered 

bentulsa

• Recruit
« Reply #94 on: 19 December 2023, 23:40:10 »
If they could get info of Comstar working with Clan Wolf it would help alot latter on.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #95 on: 20 December 2023, 04:17:17 »
10 ASF pilots isn't too surprising given elementals were trialing... :D

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #96 on: 20 December 2023, 12:37:06 »
How many DropShips do they have?? There two Overlords as far I counted and two Leopard CVs at least. I believe the CVs are manned. Overlords I'm unsure, I don't think they have the fighter bays for them all if they have enough wings for everyone.

Wolf72

• Captain
« Reply #97 on: 20 December 2023, 17:41:54 »
oh no ... page 4? that's a lot to catch up on.  glad break is almost here!
"We're caught in the moon's gravitational pull, what do we do?!"

CI KS #1357; Merc KS #9798

"We're sending a squad up."

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #98 on: 20 December 2023, 18:48:16 »
You always need more pilots than birds... coverage requires shifts... ;)

Elmoth

• Major
  • Periphery fanboy
« Reply #99 on: 21 December 2023, 03:34:37 »
well, they can always disassemble some of the birds and store them in the Dropships until they have enough new launch bays or they lose some of the current birds.

So far they have been on a shopping spree. They ended up with more stuff they can use? Not a problem. When crap hits the fan they will need replacements. And if their opposition is clan agaionst mechwarriors that just switched rides and ar enot used to their new mechs, and tanks, even heavy tanks? LOTS of replacements needed...

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #100 on: 21 December 2023, 08:56:55 »
One thing for sure, 2ndArc keeps close tabs on what his featured unit has as far as assets go.

It's likely there's a couple of Mule cargo dropships lingering about.
« Last Edit: 21 December 2023, 13:16:55 by Wrangler »

Moriarty74

• Private
« Reply #101 on: 21 December 2023, 09:31:45 »
Besides, selling some of that Clan tech to the FedCom will go a long way to not only getting them a favorable long term contract but also get them some immediate cash to get some paychecks up to date.
"Like spirited Eridani stallions chasing after fat, clumsy Luthien cows" Anonymous Rasalhague Journalist, 2749

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #102 on: 21 December 2023, 19:37:02 »
Not to mention returning some "lost" personnel to FedCom control... ;)

Elmoth

• Major
  • Periphery fanboy
« Reply #103 on: 22 December 2023, 03:26:44 »
Being a house military they can either go merc, or transfer to become a fedcom unit. I assume they are going merc, but that is a thing to be thought about. Or try to carve their own planet control somewhere. I do not think stars end qualifies for that, though. Not in the medium run.

Sir Chaos

• Captain
  • Artillery Fanboy
« Reply #104 on: 22 December 2023, 07:07:25 »
Besides, selling some of that Clan tech to the FedCom will go a long way to not only getting them a favorable long term contract but also get them some immediate cash to get some paychecks up to date.

Would they even want a long term contract?

I imagine their first priority would be to get the hell away from the Clan invasion front lines - Clan Wolf is going to want them very dead once they put the pieces together on what happened.
-Frederick the Great

Moriarty74

• Private
« Reply #105 on: 22 December 2023, 09:16:08 »
Would they even want a long term contract?

I imagine their first priority would be to get the hell away from the Clan invasion front lines - Clan Wolf is going to want them very dead once they put the pieces together on what happened.

With finding ways to get actual wins rather than steamrolled over like other units then add to that the insights their new ex-clan personnel provide, they wouldn't be assigned a front line role on a long term contract, it'd be somewhere like Tharkad to train units how to fight the clans as well as being an intelligence resource for the various FedCom agencies trying to get a full picture of the clans and their capabilities, limits, and anything else they can glean.  For at least a year or two they'd get a nice gig with high pay and then as a reward for what all they provided, most likely a pick of assignments.

Euphonium

• Captain
  • Look Ma, no Faction!
« Reply #106 on: 29 December 2023, 00:38:06 »
Tag
>>>>[You're only jealous because the voices don't talk to you]<<<<

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #107 on: 29 December 2023, 09:11:37 »
Hopefully 2ndArc will have time to resume.   :lipsrsealed:

2ndAcr

• Captain
« Reply #108 on: 01 January 2024, 00:45:17 »
Author Note: Holidays and Family in town kept me from writing. I had a little time so whipped this out.

3 October 3050
Icar (Clan Wolf)

Star Captain Branden had performed an in system jump to the same pirate point the day after the arrival of SG Guardian, Invader Jumpship. This would cut down the departure travel to only two days and both Jumpships would be fully charged and ready to jump from the system when the Dropships returned.

On the surface, loading was completed, and the Dropships were performing their launch procedures. Everyone was packed in like sardines. The freed prisoners numbered just over 1300 personnel, almost double what they could normally carry. The previous day had been a chaotic one, but semi organized. The new Clan Aerospace fighters had been hoisted into the awaiting Overlords launch bays. Battlemechs had been stowed. The recovered vehicles were packed and stowed as cargo while tech teams had swarmed the mass of salvaged battlefield wreckage, pulling parts to repair all their currently damaged Battlemechs. When they had the time to actually perform the repairs. They had also pulled in and stowed a further 8 Battlemechs that they felt could be repaired with enough time. There just was not enough time or space to fully recover everything, not with Major Mitchell looking at his watch every ten minutes.

At noon local time the three Overlords of the 2nd Guards, packed as tight as they could boosted for the pirate point for the return to Stars End.

9 October 3050
Stars End

Their arrival in Stars End had been uneventful and the Overlord Dropships had landed on the surface without difficulties. Now came the more difficult task of repairing what they could and working out a new force structure incorporating those freed prisoners who wished to join them. The majority had come from the 12th Star Guard and local militia personnel captured by Clan Wolf. The AFFC personnel were still under contract to the AFFC so recruitment was minimal from them. Major William Mitchell looked at his new personnel counts as he tried to work out how to best use them.

2nd Guards Personnel

Mechwarriors - 44 (41 IS, 3 Clan)
 Aerospace Pilot - 19 (7 IS, 12 Clan)
 Infantry - 462 (IS)
 Elemental - 30 (Clan)
 Armor Crew - 351 (IS)
 Mech Tech - 61 (56 IS, 5 Clan)
 Aero Tech - 21 (11 IS, 10 Clan)
 BA Tech - 7 (Clan)
 Mechanic - 62 (IS)
 Medic - 16 (IS)
 Doctor - 2 (IS)
 Astech/Labor - 263 (203 IS, 60 Clan)

The crew of SG Guardian, Invader Jumpship along with the 12th Star Guards Leopard CV had also elected to join the 2nd Guards. But all the former 12th Star Guards had also come with a condition, they all wanted to make an effort to free their former comrades. While he was not totally opposed to the idea and had agreed, it was going to be very dangerous to actually accomplish. He set aside the personnel list and picked up their equipment list next and tried to mentally work out how to make use of it. While also trying to mentally track what still needed to be repaired, this complicated his task, even on paper.

2nd Guards Equipment

Excellence, Invader Jumpship
 Guardian, Invader Jumpship
 Archangel, Leopard CV
 Danger Close, Overlord Dropship (Standard)
 Bandit's Bane, Overlord Dropship (24BM, 6AS, 12Inf)
 Evil Dies, Overlord Dropship (24BM, 6AS, 12Inf)
 Juniper, Mule Dropship
 1 Mark VIIC Shuttle
 1 K-1C Dropshuttle

4 Corsair CSR-V12
 2 Sabre SB-27
 1 Rapier RPR-100b (Modified with Clan Weapons)
 3 Rapier RPR-100b
 2 Hammerhead HMR-HDb
 2 Zero ZRO-116b
 2 Hellcat II HCT-213C

1 Thug (Modified with Clan Weapons)
 1 Wyvern WVE-5N
 1 Kintaro KTO-19b
 1 Hussar HSR-200-Db
 1 Thorn THE-Nb
 2 Archer ARC-2R (1 week to complete repairs)
 1 Archer ARC-2K
 1 Victor VTR-9S (1 week to complete repairs)
 2 Charger CGR-1A5 (1 week for 1st, 3 weeks for 2nd w/mod to Clan)
 2 Rifleman RFL-3N (1 week to complete repairs)
 4 Shadow Hawk SHD-2H (1 week to complete repairs, 3 weeks for Clan mods to another)
 3 Warhammer WHM-6D
 2 Merlin MLN-1A
 1 Catapult CPLT-C1
 5 Panther PNT-9R
 1 Wolfhound WLF-1B
 3 Firestarter FSS-H
 2 Trebuchet TBT-5N
 1 Awesome AWS-8T
 2 Zeus ZEU-6S
 1 Thunderbolt TDR-5S
 9 Locust LCT-1V (1 week to complete repairs)
 4 Jenner JR7-D
 6 Stinger STG-3R
 4 Phoenix Hawk PHX-1
 4 Griffin GRF-1N
 2 Wolverine WVR-6M

28 Patton Main Battle Tanks
 12 Pegasus (Missile)
 12 Pegasus (Unarmed)
 16 Heavy Hover APC (MG)
  9 Heavy Track APC (MG)
 18 Trucks Cargo

35 Elemental Suits

He took some time to study the proposed modifications to several of the units Battlemechs to make use of some of the Clan weapons in place of destroyed weapon systems. He had yet to actually see or use the weapons but speaking with some of the former prisoners who had, they all agreed that it was worth the effort. Former Clan Wolf tech Ursula was leading the modification teams installing the Clan weapons. One of the Chargers and one of the Shadow Hawks were having Clan weapons installed since their primary weapons had been destroyed with no viable replacements located among the salvage.

The Charger was being fitted with one of the Clan ERPPC and two of the Streak SRM/6 systems. Twenty-two heats sinks and two medium lasers rounded out the armaments. He had been told that it was a fairly easy upgrade. But at least the poor Charger would have some long-range reach instead of a big gun but have to close with the enemy.

The Shadow Hawk was being fitted with one of the Clan Large Pulse Lasers instead of the AC/5. Its heat sinks were being boosted to 15 to handle the extra heat. While they had located quite a few AC/5 in the salvage, it seems Clan Wolf had destroyed all the ammunition or hauled it off for some reason and they only had a few tons anyway.

He started sketching out his idea for his proposed reorganization to make the best use of what they could actually field. To keep his promise to the former Star Guard troops, he had decided that Steelton would be the next target. This would have them facing Clan Jade Falcon, who were rivals of Clan Wolf, so he had been informed. He had been told that Clan Jade Falcon would not use deception but fight. So, he did his best to work out a structure to give them the best chance at a win. He started putting his thoughts on paper.

2nd Guards

Command Company

1 Thug Mod (Major Mitchell)
 1 Charger Mod (former Clan Warrior)
 1 Shadow Hawk Mod (former Clan Warrior)
 1 Hussar HSR-200-Db (former Clan Warrior)

25 Elementals

2 Squads Infantry
 1 Heavy Track APC (MG)

1st Battalion

1 Awesome AWS-8T
 2 Zeus ZEU-6S
 1 Thunderbolt TDR-5S
 3 Warhammer WHM-6D
 1 Archer ARC-2K
 2 Archer ARC-2R
 1 Victor VTR-9S
 1 Charger CGR-1A5

24 Patton Main Battle Tanks

8 Infantry Platoons
 8 Heavy Track APC (MG)

2nd Battalion

8 Locust LCT-1V
 4 Jenner JR7-D
 4 Phoenix Hawk PHX-1
 4 Griffin GRF-1N
 2 Wolverine WVR-6M
 2 Trebuchet TBT-5N

12 Pegasus (Missile)

4 Infantry Platoons
 4 Heavy Hover APC (APC)

It was far from perfect, but in his opinion, it gave him a fairly fast strike force in his 2nd Battalion for recon work with a heavy fist in his 1st Battalion. He still was not sure how to make the best use of the Elementals, but for now he would keep them in his Command Company. He did know they were quite a force multiplier. But he was still not fully trusting of them out of his direct control, no matter what Star Captain Branden and Point Commander Trishia said. Not yet anyway. All of their tanks and APC's would have to be secured as cargo which would slow their deployment. But it could not be helped right now. He placed Captain Lisa Green, former Star Guard, in command of his 1st Battalion. While she was a tanker, she had been in the 12th Star Guards for over 12 years and had experience working with Mechs. His own Company Commanders did not have that sort of experience.

It damn sure did not leave them room for freed prisoners though. So, he planned to pack the Mule as full as possible with people for the short hop back here to Stars End until he could figure out exactly how to get them back to FedCom space. His only bright spot was Major Duboise had volunteered to use his AFFC personnel to secure the former pirate bases as a safe haven. To aid in this he would also leave behind a small force. While not particularly strong, it was deemed strong enough to protect the units temporary base here on Stars End.

Base Garrison

2 Merlin MLN-1A
 1 Catapult CPLT-C1

4 Patton Main Battle Tanks

4 Infantry Platoons
 4 Heavy Track APC (MG)

This was not going to be home, not if he could help it, but it was a safe harbor for now. One jump from Steelton, so he did not have to worry too much about cramming the Mule full of people for a long trip. Not right away anyway.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #109 on: 01 January 2024, 07:24:34 »
It looks like things are really starting to come together for Mitchell!  And Happy New Year! :)

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #110 on: 01 January 2024, 10:41:46 »
I wonder if they'll change their name to just 2nd Guard or something else? Their more than former Pirate nation's battalion now.

Moriarty74

• Private
« Reply #111 on: 01 January 2024, 12:02:55 »
I wonder if they'll change their name to just 2nd Guard or something else? Their more than former Pirate nation's battalion now.

I guess I was just thinking in my head that they'd end up as the "2nd Star Guard" to represent their past as well as the large contingent of ex-12th Star Guard personnel that joined them.  I suppose 2nd Star Guard Cluster to make the clan troops happy as well could be an option.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #112 on: 01 January 2024, 12:47:34 »
I'm sure the ex-bandit kingdom troops could get behind adding "cluster" to their name... ;D

vianca

• Sergeant
« Reply #113 on: 01 January 2024, 13:12:04 »
It looks like things are really starting to come together for Mitchell!  And Happy New Year! :)
Good New Year, everybody.

The problem I can see Mitchell having, is more of a economic one.
As in, money.

Too bad they don't know enough of the Clan honor system, else they could claim that Comstar is honorless and clearly behind making the houses go after each others throats.
How do you get a ecomomy going, when the ones that should support it, is trying to back-step you?
That will be a problem, if only since paying for things, just became impossible.

vianca

• Sergeant
« Reply #114 on: 01 January 2024, 13:12:17 »
stupid slow load times.....
It double posted it.
Now where is the delete post options???
« Last Edit: 01 January 2024, 13:16:18 by vianca »

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #115 on: 01 January 2024, 14:13:13 »
Deletion requires Mod intervention... you can ask them... :)

Moriarty74

• Private
« Reply #116 on: 01 January 2024, 15:50:03 »
Yeah, lately I've had to wait after I hit post as it doesn't act as if it didn't post and I'll open it up again in a different page to see if it posted or not.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #117 on: 01 January 2024, 22:04:16 »
The trick is to post. Then to backout and F5.  You can do preview and it will show u already posted.

I do agree that the unit going to need to drum up resources to survive economically.  It may be too soon to tell.  It seems the Jade Falcon raid will net more resources.  Either they go merc or they carve up their own periphery state. Later seems too far fetch, this Mitchell is not political leader and Clans are too big oc faction to wrangle for one battalion size force.

mawille2

• Recruit
« Reply #118 on: 23 January 2024, 13:02:04 »
Just waiting patiently on an update azn

Register