Author Topic: Danger Everywhere  (Read 9110 times)

Elmoth

• Major
  • Periphery fanboy
Re: Danger Everywhere
« Reply #30 on: 23 November 2023, 17:44:19 »
After TOE of the 2nd Oberon Guards... Do we have an approximate TOE for the pirates of Star's End? I have no idea who rules there at the time either.

They can end up fighting... or joining forces.

2ndAcr

• Captain
« Reply #31 on: 23 November 2023, 19:21:55 »
 Okay, I had to plan something out. On arrival at Stars End there will be the following:

Red Demons (Pirate) - 1 BM Comp, 2 Inf Com, Converted Overlord, Merchant
 Bobby's Butchers (Pirate) - 1 BM Lance, 1 Armor Comp, Inf Batt, Seeker, Scout
 3rd Oberon - 2 BM Lance, 1 Inf Comp, Overlord, Merchant
 12th Star Guard - 1 Inf Comp, 1 Aero Squad, 380 support troops, Condor, Leopard CV, Invader
 10th Donegal Guards - 2 Inf Comp, 300 support troops, Invader, Condor, Mule
 8th  Arcturan Guards - 2 Armor Batt, 1 Inf Comp, 1 Aero Squad, 375 support troops, Triumph, Condor, Leopard CV, Invader

The two pirate bands have not tangled with the Clan and are keeping their heads down from the AFFC troops. The AFFC survivors and others are taking a breather after the mad scramble to flee the Clans.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #32 on: 23 November 2023, 19:39:57 »
That's DEFINITELY going to be interesting! ;)

Dave Talley

• Major
« Reply #33 on: 23 November 2023, 22:50:43 »
With this title I hear Steve Irwin yelling Danger Danger
Resident Smartass since 1998
“Toe jam in training”

Because while the other Great Houses of the Star League thought they were playing chess, House Cameron was playing Paradox-Billiards-Vostroyan-Roulette-Fourth Dimensional-Hypercube-Chess-Strip Poker the entire time.
JA Baker

False_Prophet75

• Recruit
« Reply #34 on: 24 November 2023, 09:05:27 »
Careful there mate, you’ll give the clanners ideas….. next thing you know croc wrestling will be a new form of Trial…

2ndAcr

• Captain
« Reply #35 on: 24 November 2023, 14:40:04 »
8 April 3050
System 119628

"One last load of ice and we will be fully resupplied. All three Dropships are now habitable again. I have plotted our route to Stars End and have it all worked up. With help from Star Captain Branden." Captain Felicia Graves said

"Best news I have heard so far. Something I been wondering, why have the Clan Wolf folks not been searching for us? It damn sure has kept me a little nervous." Major William Mitchell asked

Star Captain Branden spoke up "I am sure they have been. From Placida, there are 83 systems within 30 light years. That is a lot of searching. Using the ships navigational telescope, we have monitored several systems and think we have detected the arrival and departure of searching vessels. We can not be sure but on review you can see the changes in the readings. I doubt the Khan will pursue the matter any longer, it is a waste of valuable resources to keep searching."

"Even better. So, take me thru the route we are taking." Major William Mitchell replied

"We are going to do 9 jumps. One deeper into the void before swinging back towards Stars End. Mainly because after talking with Star Captain Branden, he has given me a good idea of the regions where Clan Wolf and Clan Jade Falcon ships are moving primarily. I want to avoid those if possible. Hence the backtrack so we can line up better with our main route to Stars End. The biggest question is if Clan Wolf holds it or not. We will not know that until we get there. Which is scary." Captain Felicia Graves said

While the senior officers were holding their meeting, down on the Grav Deck and various Dropships, the enlisted and lower ranks performed their regular duties. Sergeant Bruce Crumbly was on the Excellence in one of the cargo bays watching the former Clan Elementals prepare to head out on the last ice recovery mission. He had only spoken to a few of them and then very briefly, but he was a curious sort by nature so he approached them semi cautiously. One of those he had spoken to before nodded as he approached.

"May I help you Sergeant Bruce?" Warrior Valto asked, not ready to address anyne by a last name

"Are all of your infantry like you?" Sergeant Bruce Crumbly asked

"Neg. We are of the Elemental phenotype. Specially bred this way." Warrior Valto replied

"Then how would a normal person, say me, wear one of those suits?" Sergeant Bruce Crumbly asked

"The suits are adjustable to some extent. Not every Elemental is the same size. The Clan's have normal sized infantry also. But never in frontline status." Warrior Valto said

"Were you in frontline service?" Sergeant Bruce Crumbly asked

"Once. I was deemed too old to continue." Warrior Valto replied

"Too old? How old are you?" Sergeant Bruce Crumbly asked

"32. That is old by Clan warrior standards. All of us are over 30, the oldest is Narhal over there at 35. We all managed to Trial for a posting in the invasion." Warrior Valto replied

"32 is too old? I am 39 and in peak physical condition. If I was in one of the House militaries I could easily serve for another 25 years. That is just crazy. 32 is the age when you finally know your job well enough to be called proficient at it." Sergeant Crumbly said

He did not notice several of the Mechwarriors had drifted over to listen. A voice caused him to turn slightly "Hell, I am 41 and plan to pilot a Battlemech another 20-30 years if I don't get killed first."

"I have a question. Do you use Battlemechs or is it just you big boys and girls?"

"The Clan uses Omni Mechs for frontline duty. We have Battlemechs also in Second line and garrison." Warrior Valto replied

"What is an Omni Mech? What's different about it?" Another asked

The barrage of questions were making Warrior Valto a little nervous, it really was not his place to talk about such things. Sergeant Crumbly picked up on this and said "Easy folks, let's not push too far too fast. How about everyone write down the questions and we will have the Major get some answers to them. Let's let Valto get back to preparing for his mission."

As the group broke up, Warrior Valto nodded again to Sergeant Crumbly before returning to his tasks.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #36 on: 24 November 2023, 15:15:38 »
I'm wondering if the Loki plant has outed themselves... ;D

Sir Chaos

• Captain
  • Artillery Fanboy
« Reply #37 on: 24 November 2023, 15:23:33 »
Using the ships navigational telescope, we have monitored several systems and think we have detected the arrival and departure of searching vessels.

They are aware, I assume, that what they see in neighboring star systems happened years ago?
"Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl."
-Frederick the Great

"Ultima Ratio Regis" ("The Last Resort of the King")
- Inscription on cannon barrel, 18th century

Elmoth

• Major
  • Periphery fanboy
« Reply #38 on: 24 November 2023, 17:32:57 »
It is a battletech navigational telescope.

Magic in the works.

Move along citizen. :p

2ndAcr

• Captain
« Reply #39 on: 24 November 2023, 18:38:14 »
9 April 3050
System 119628

"How much tranq we still have?" Major William Mitchell asked

"Enough to knock down a town if we need to. Six 55 gallon drums of the stuff, seven really but we already broke the seal on that drum. Why, we expecting trouble?" Captain Marcus Wright replied

"No, but Stars End could be trouble and I want to make sure have enough on hand. You now I prefer to inflict as few causalties as possible. That is why we have always used the Battlemechs to draw off defenders while your folks slip in and tranq anyone and everyone else to get what we wanted. That Clan tech was the first person we had lost to tranqs in a long time." Major Mitchell said

"He took four tranqs. Medics just could not get to him until the fight was over. We were spraying them like crazy at the time. Normal person a single tranq will take them out in less than 30 seconds, pop them with two and it's damn near instant. Those big assed Clanners took six plus to put down. We would have been screwed if we had been on a surface. Only a 25 meter range. At least in zero G they keep going until they hit something. It's not the juice we need to worry about it's the darts. We only have a few hundred of those left, we bent the crap out of the needles on those that missed taking this ship. Of course we get new needles and we can reuse the darts." Captain Wright replied

"We will scrounge around on Stars End for some. Not going to hold out hope though. How are the troops handling the Clan people?" Major Mitchell said

"There is still some hard feelings on our side, lot of good troops lost in the fight. But nothing serious. Though getting fresh air and no smell in the Dropships has raised morale quite a bit. They all know those big folks did the hard part to make that happen too. Sergeant Crumbly has sort of taken the lead on opening communication with the big people. From what I gather, he has sort of gotten on friendly terms with one of them." Captain Wright replied

"Good, very good. I have been told that those armor suits they use can take down a Battlemech. They fight as a squad or point as they call it. Five to a point or squad. Twemty five in a Star, three Star to a Company or Trinary for those armor suits. Regular infantry is twenty five to a point, 125 to a Star. It it sort of confusing. I have heard so many terms, Trinary, Binary, Nova, Cluster. I have it all written down in my quarters. Five Battlemechs to a Star and 15 to a Trinary, there version of a Company. Which means no Company on Trinary fights if I can avoid it. But on the armor suits, I would love to have them as a force multiplier." Major Mitchell said

There was some hesitation from Captain Marcus Wright before he replied "Let's not get too ahead of ourselves yet sir. Not sure any of us are ready to fully integrate those folks in fully armed suits. I lost over a platoon taking them down without them in suits, I don't think we could bring one down in a suit before we all got wiped out."

"I did not say we were doing it right now, just saying I would love to have that as an option. My main concern though is support. All sorts. We have 36 battlemech techs. I cannot even keep up with normal maintenance needs much less battle damage. You have four mechanics and I know your guys help with the maintenance load on the four APC's. But we get into a hard fight, well we have a glass jaw. We would not have the ability to repair battle damage or even reload in a decent amount of time. I barely have enough spare parts, armor or ammo for much more than a really good fight. One fight and then I am down a bunch of Mechs." Major Mitchell said

"Not much we can do about those issues. I have no problems with my folks pitching in where they can to help with maintenance on your Mechs. They won't know squat about what to do, so they will have to be taught." Captain Wright replied

"Any help at all will help out a bunch. Thanks. I will have Jersey show them what to do." Major Mitchell said refering to his chief tech.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #40 on: 24 November 2023, 18:42:33 »
Well played, good sir, well played! ;)

2ndAcr

• Captain
« Reply #41 on: 25 November 2023, 15:31:03 »
7 June 3050
Stars End

When CWS Excellence materialized at the Nadir Jump Point it caused total chaos among the various Jumpships there that no amount of communication could calm down as multiple Jumpships made emergency jumps from the system. There was a look of bemusement on Star Captain Brandens face while Captain Felicia Graves was one of embarrassment.

"The transponder codes. We forgot to change the codes." Captain Felicia Graves said

"Well, one thing is for sure, those folks on the surface are not going to be very happy to see us because now they have no ride out of here. I doubt any of those Jumpships are going to come back, not anytime soon anyway." Major William Mitchell replied

"I am sorry sir, it just slipped my mind completely." Captain Felicia Graves said

"No sense crying over what cannot be undone Felicia. But how about we get those codes changed before we forget again." Major Mitchell replied

"I will get on that right away." Captain Felicia Graves said

"The hull also needs to be changed. This ship still has Clan Wolf markings." Star Captain Branden said

"Let's figure out something different for that. It might come in handy and buy us some time if we run into another Clan ship. Maybe find a way that we can make it a temporary cover, one that can be removed when we need to show the Clan Wolf markings." Major Mitchell replied

"That will take some thinking on. But if we do that, then I will save the transponder code so that we can switch it at will." Captain Felicia Graves said

"If you would like, I offer my assistance in making the changes." Star Captain Branden said

"While you both work on things up here, I guess I will get everyone ready to head for the surface. For security, I am going to leave Point Commander Hugo and his people up here, you should see any danger coming with enough time to get them suited up to repel any boarders. I will take Point Commander Trisha and her folks with me. I might need some extra muscle but I am going to keep them under wraps as best I can." Major Mitchell said

"Your going to let them arm the suits?" Captain Felicia Graves asked

"Yes. It is time to start trusting them. There has been no trouble with any of them since we took the ship. Everyone has performed their tasks with no issues. It is time to start treating them as one of us." Major Mitchell said as he caught Star Captain Brandens eye. "Welcome to the 2nd Guards Star Captain Branden, you may inform all of the former Clan personnel that they are no longer, what was the term, bondsman. They are now equal members of this command."

"We will not let you down." Star Captain Branden replied

10 June 3050

The landing on the surface was uneventful, even with taking half a day to scan the surface from orbit before heading down. Scans had showed quite a few Dropships on the surface around the primary settlement on Novo Cressidas, the only planetary body in the system. Still, they landed over 15 kilometers from the settlement itself for safety. He marched his Thunderbolt down the ramp and joined his personal company of Battlemechs slong with Captain Marcus Wright and 2 of his platoons in their APC's for the trip to the settlement.

The third infantry platoon, remaining two compaanies of Battlemechs and Point Commander Trishia and her Elementals would remain behind to guard their grounded Dropships. He hoped to barter the supplies on their Mule for repairs, and anything else they might find and need down here.

As they approached, they passed the first set of grounded Dropships, all bearing the markings of the Armed Forces of the Federated Commonwealth. He could not make out what command they belonged to, but it was obvious that it was two different commands. They had enough guards out that he avoided any contact with them. His radio chirped "Sir, I have eyes on a Overlord, it has the marking of the 3rd Oberon."

"Where, okay I see it now. Well, let's go on over and say hello, see what they can tell us. But cautiously, the Third has alway been a bunch of scumbags." Major William Mitchell replied

When they reached the grounded Overlord, they were met by a single Oberon officer and a small gathering of infantry personnel. Major William Mitchell dismounted his Thunderbolt and greeted the "welcoming" party. "Major William Mitchell, 2nd Oberon Guards."

"Lieutenant Frank Langston. We heard Clan Wolf had entered the system. How did you get past them?" The man asked

"Long story. What happened back home and why are you here?" Major William Mitchell asked

"We cut tail and ran. Barely made the Merchant before she bailed. Those Clan Wolf folks ripped us to shreds and I doubt they even broke a sweat doing it. I want no part of them." Lieutenant Langston replied

"We were on a long range raid, missed the action, but got chased from Placida by Clan Wolf. Needed ground time and came here. You in charge?" Major Mitchell asked

"No sir, Captain Randal is. Him and most of the others are in town, probably drunk on the local hooch." Lieutenant Langston replied

"Randal, Curtis Randal?" Major Mitchell asked

"Yes sir. That is him." Lieutenant Langston replied

Captain Curtis Randal, of all people to survive. Major Mitchell thought. There were few in the Oberon Confederation more cruel that Randal. Treated his people like total trask, which most of them were, but had a fondness for the ladies and the word no meant nothing to him. "Well, I know him. You need anything?"

"We could use some food if you can spare it. We jammed the Dropship with spare parts and ammo, but seems we went shy on food." Lieutenant Langston replied

"I think we can spare some food for you and the troops here. I will have it sent over while I head into town and locate Captain Randal." Major Mitchell said

Once he had remounted his Thunderbolt and secured the cockpit he thumbed the radio on a secure frequency. "James, you on?"

"Yes sir, what gives."

"Seems you might get your wish after all, seems Captain Randal from the 3rd Oberon is in town." Major Mitchell said calmly

"That worthless piece of trash. Your going to let me do what needs to be done?" Corporal James Patney asked

"He raped and disfigured your little sister. So yeah, we find him you can have your revenge. No torture, we don't do that." Major Mitchell cautioned

"I don't like that stuff either. But beating him to death with my bare hands okay." Corporal James Patney replied

"Then let's go locate him and dispose of a waste of oxygen." Major Mitchell said

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #42 on: 25 November 2023, 15:40:12 »
Well then!  Looks like the 3rd Oberon Guards are falling under the 2nd... ;)

2ndAcr

• Captain
« Reply #43 on: 25 November 2023, 22:30:47 »
11 June 3050
Stars End

At the last minute, Major William Mitchell had decided to wait until the next day to go on their hunt for Captain Curtis Randal. They had spent the night aboard their Dropships. As the group headed back towards the main settlement, no one said much on the short ride over. Major Mitchell had decided to take just the APC's loaded with Corporal James Patney and 2 platoons of infantry. He really didn't want to start a Mech battle inside that settlement and the APC's would be easier to move down the streets.

The first bar was the seediest place they had ever seen and the folks inside were the type you saw and shot on sight. But Major Mitchell waved the troops off. The second was full of passed out AFFC personnel but they struck paydirt on the third bar. Major Mitchell entered the bar with a single platoon of armed infantry. He kicked the sleeping Captain Randal off his chair and sent him sprawling on the floor.

"WHO THE HELL DID THAT!!!!" Captain Curtis Randal yelled as he staggered to his feet.

"Major William Mitchell, 2nd Oberon Guards. Your all under arrest for desertion in the face of the enemy. But you Captain Curtis Randal have an additional charge of rape and grievious bodily harm to answer for." He said calmly

Captain Curtis Randal tried to shake the fog from his brain as he processed what he had just heard. His hand slowly dropped towards his holstered pistol but then his eyes focused on the barrel of a pistol in his face and he froze. "Move another milimeter and I am going to carry out your execution right here." Even over the ruckus around them, he could clearly hear the words being said.

"A few just bolted out the backdoor Major!!" Came a shout from the rear of the building.

Major Mitchell, still aiming his pistol at the face of Captain Randal lifted a hand communicator and said "Point Commander Trishia, execute Plan Bravo please."

"Aff, moving now." Came the reply.

"James. The Captain here is all yours."

Corporal James Patney disarmed Captain Randal of his still holstered pistol and looked the Captain square in the eyes. "You raped and branded my little sister five years ago. She was only 16 years old. Now you pay for that with your life." He hit Captain Randal with a haymaker of a right hook sending the Captain to the floor of the bar once again. As Captain Randal started to get to his feet Corporal Patney kicked the Captain square in the face knocking several teeth out. For five minutes Corporal Patney pounded Captain Randal without mercy, tears streaming down his face as his emotions took hold of him. Finally he rose from the unconcious Captain Randal and turned to Major Mitchell who had been standing close by the entire time. His revenge had been sated, his sister avenged.

"I'm done sir." Corporal James Patney said as he looked at his swollen hands.

"Then I will finish it. If we find a way, we will go back and get your sister." Major Mitchell said

"No need, she commited suicide a year ago. I have no one else except the unit sir." Corporal Patney said as he walked to the door.

"You two get that piece of filth and hang him from the lamp pole out side. Gather the rest and get them back to their Dropship." Major Mitchell ordered

It only took an hour to get back to the Overlord Dropship hauling the surviving 3rd Oberon Guards. Captain Marcus Wright, in the lead APC was surprised to find everyone sitting on the dirty ground, several sporting bandages, on their arrival. Then, inside the open hatch of the Overlord, he saw one of the armored former Clan keeping silent watch whiel remaining mainly hidden. Once they had all dismounted, he walked over to Major Mitchell.

"What the hell sir?" Captain Marcus Wright asked

"My plan B if any got away from us. No sense losing a Dropship in the process. I had them move out early this morning before sunrise." Major Mitchell replied with a smile. He raised his hand communicator "Point Commander Trishia, status?"

"Dropship secured. No fatalities as ordered. Thirteen wounded."

"Very well, excellent work." Major Mitchell said and then raised his voice "Lieutenant Langston, front and center!!" A figure stood slowly and made his way towards him. His face was swathed in bandages. "Jesus Lieutenant, what happened?"

"I did not realize what I was attacking or I would have cut and run. That claw caught me and ripped my cheek open." Came the mumbled reply.

"That took guts. Now, spill your crimes to me. Most of the 3rd Guards were the lowest of the low. You get one chance to come clean with me." Major William Mitchell said

"None sir, I was not part of the 3rd Oberon Guards. Me and my company were part of the Crellacor Guards Mechanized Infantry Battalion. When the collapse happened we hijacked a shuttle and headed for the jump point. Captain Randal and his ship were right behind us sir." Lieutenant Langston said slowly thru his bandages

"Gather your personnel and move them over to our right." Major Mitchell ordered

It took several minutes as a few had to be carried. Finally, there were a total of 71 from the 3rd Oberon Guards in a group. Major William Mitchell walked until he was standing in front of them. He scanned the group and did not see a single bandage on any of them or obvious wounds. He spat on the ground before he said "SO, not a one of you fought to protect your Dropship. A Guards command. Though I am sure those that were here were support troops. Move over there with the Crellacor people. Dropship crew also."

Fifty two people stood and walked over to join the Crellacor troops leaving 19 plus the 17 pulled from the bar which were shoved into the group. They were a hostile and sullen group.

"Your Captain Randal is dead. Executed for rape and desertion. I am Major William Mitchell 2nd Oberon Guards. Your all guilty of desertion. So you have one chance to confess your crimes to me and convince me your worth saving. Which I highly doubt you can because the 3rd Oberon is the bottom of the outhouse." He scanned the faces in front of him and grimaced. "You know what, I am not going to waste my time. Get up and start walking. Get out of my sight. MOVE!!!"

The group wasted no time in taking off at a full run, most heading for town, some for the hills in the distance. He turned to Captain Marcus Wright. "I will send a Company over to help secure this Dropship. Your in command here. Arm Lieutenant Langston and his people. Should be a couple platoons worth. There was always a rumor that some of the 3rd Oberon was working with pirates from Stars End. Real pirates, slavers, the absolute worst kind."

"Yes sir. Think we are about to have trouble?" Captain Marcus Wright asked

"I would bet on it. Can you think of a pirate band that would turn down a Overlord Dropship?" Major Mitchell replied

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #44 on: 26 November 2023, 05:46:05 »
The AFFC units could probably use it too... ;)

Elmoth

• Major
  • Periphery fanboy
« Reply #45 on: 26 November 2023, 08:21:08 »
The AFFC commands are over-dropshipped, if that is a thing. Looks like they took a massive beating, so they have spare transport capabilities. I doubt they want to get into a shotout for something like this.

Looks like the 3rd is growing. Lets see what mechs and other stuff they find inside the cargo area of the overlord. And what the 3rd and pirates throw back at them. Considering that they still need to negotiate with the pirates, it can be tricky.
« Last Edit: 26 November 2023, 09:06:01 by Elmoth »

cawest

• Captain
« Reply #46 on: 26 November 2023, 10:48:50 »
star's end might have some TDF armored space suits.  someone might be able to mix and match with some work PA(L)s to come up with something.  I think by now the Grey Death had tested some prototypes that one or two in the AFFC might have heard about.  One damaged clan BA could get you a platoon of Sloths, just rip out the mine ejector for some real weapons. 

2ndAcr

• Captain
« Reply #47 on: 26 November 2023, 14:13:45 »
12 June 3050
Stars End

A quick inventory of the 3rd Oberon Guards Overlord Dropship showed it held 2 lances of battle worn Battlemechs. Several of the technicians explained that they had attempted as many repairs as they could but lacked the proper parts to complete them. They had even printed out a complete report on the battle damage of each Battlemech and presented it to Major William Mitchell, who looked it over.

Archer ARC-2R - Left Arm actuator destroyed, medium laser destroyed, 53% armor loss
Victor VTR-9S - AC/20 destroyed, 42% armor loss
Charger CGR-1A5 - Left Knee actuator destroyed, both SRM-6 destroyed, 61% armor loss
Charger CGR-1A5 - AC/20 destroyed, right arm destroyed/missing, 69% armor loss
Rifleman RFL-3N - Left Arm destroyed/missing, right arm large laser destroyed, 55% armor loss
Shadow Hawk SHD-2H - Right arm destroyed/missing, medium laser destroyed, 71% armor loss
Shadow Hawk SHD-2H - Left arm destroyed/missing, AC/5 destroyed, 62% armor loss
Locust LCT-1V - Left arm destroyed, medium laser destroyed, 38% armor loss

He showed the list to Master Tech Jersey Franklin who looked it over. "The Locust is the only one we can fully repair. We have the parts for that onboard our Dropship. Unless you want to salvage the Charger missing the AC/20, we could then fully repair the other one. Same for the Shadow Hawks, salvage one to repair the other."

"No sense in it, it would run us too low on replacement armor. Lock them down hard so that they cannot be moved easily or quickly." Major Mitchell said and then headed outside.

Just over 30 kilometers away, Sergeant Yance Gormly, 3rd Oberon Guards, was sitting in front of Bobby Wanzuma and Oscar Lopez, both commanders of the local pirates on Stars End pleading his case. It was risky, but unless he struck a deal, he was stranded on Stars End. "Captain Randal is dead. Them bastards hung him. Between you, you have them outnumbered in ground troops and as for Battlemechs you outmass them. The 2nd Oberon is a light weight unit for raiding. Mainly bug mechs. The only advantage they have is a few of them Clan armor suits."

"What do we get out of this and what do you want in return?" Bobby Wanzuma asked

"One of the Overlord Dropships and help repairing the Battlemechs aboard my old ship. You can have everything else." Sergeant Yance Gormly replied

"How about it Oscar, is it worth the risk?" Bobby Wanzuma asked

"Three Dropships. Yeah, I think it is worth it. I have some folks keeping tabs on the AFFC and Mercs that are not far from them, no Battlemechs to be seen, but the AFFC folks do have a company of armor at least but they are keeping them close to their Dropships." Oscar Lopez replied

"Okay then, how fast can you be ready to hit them? Figure we hit one of their locations and the move to take out the other. That sound okay?" Bobby Wanzuma asked

"Two days, gives me time to sober up the troops. Plus I want to put some closer eyes on both sites before we strike." Oscar Lopez said

"Then we make it three days. No sense rushing things." Bobby Wanzuma replied

13 June 3050

"Major Walter Duboise, 8th Arcturan Guards. That is Captain Ingrid Edwards, 10th Donegal Guards and Lieutenant Janet McFadin, 12th Star Guards." The short man introduced the small group.

"Major William Mitchell, 2nd Oberon Guards. Or what is left of them."

"How did you get passed the Clan Wolf ship that entered the system?" Major Duboise asked

"We actually rode it in. We got lucky and overpowered it. Forgot to change the transponder codes, sorry for scaring all your rides away." Major William Mitchell explained

"Must be one hell of a story, because they ripped us to shreds. I just hope our rides actually come back for us." Captain Ingrid Edwards said

"What was the beef with your fellow Oberon folks?" Lieutenant Mcfadin asked

"Deserters. Not to mention complete waste of oxygen. The 3rd Oberon were some of the worst types that walk on two legs." Major William Mitchell replied

"And your not?" Major Duboise asked

"We were on a long range mission when the assault went down. We arrived at Placida close to the Clan Wolf Invader. We took it over but something called a Vincent was leaving close orbit and doing a high speed burn towards our location. We made a snap decision and jumped from the system. Made our way here." Major Mitchell explained

"Okay. I will accept that. So, what can we do for you?" Major Duboise asked

"Looking for some trade. Maybe offer a mutual assistance pact while we are all down here. This is a dangerous place after all. I have some wounded I would like to get proper medical care for, I have some medics but they can only do so much." Major Mitchell said

"We can help with that. We have quite a few doctors and even a MASH truck. We will send it over. As for a mutual aid pact, we will have to think about that some." Major Duboise replied not wanting to give away that they had no Battlemechs and their troops were pretty shell shocked at their crushing defeat at the hands of Clan Wolf and Clan Jade Falcon.

"The help is much appreciated. If you need anything, let me know." Major Mitchell said

Sir Chaos

• Captain
  • Artillery Fanboy
« Reply #48 on: 26 November 2023, 14:59:38 »
Even if the AFFC and mercenary jumpships don´t return... that 3rd Oberon Guards jumpship is a Merchant, so it should have a free collar. In a pinch, they could abandon the 2nd´s Mule dropship, cram all AFFC and mercenary personnel onto the two Condors and take those with them.

I have a feeling that this would be enough to earn them safe passage out of the FedCom after they dropped off the AFFC and mercenary personnel.
"Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl."
-Frederick the Great

"Ultima Ratio Regis" ("The Last Resort of the King")
- Inscription on cannon barrel, 18th century

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #49 on: 26 November 2023, 15:51:38 »
The 2nd came in with three DropShips (Overlord, Fury, and a Mule).  The 3rd's JumpShip hightailed it with the rest of them, I thought...

2ndAcr

• Captain
« Reply #50 on: 26 November 2023, 19:30:08 »
15 June 3050
Stars End

The first Jumpship to return to Stars End materialized at the Nadir Jump Point, it was quickly followed by another. Both Invaders were fairly close together and each of them carried a Dropship, in this case a Leopard CV on each one which was quickly detached, and fighters began launching and forming a CAP. While they no longer broadcast a Clan Wolf transponder code, any close examination would reveal the Clan Wolf logo on their hull.

"Comms, hail them and lets see if they believe we are no threat." Captain Felicia Graves said

"This is 2nd Guards Jumpship Excellence to arriving Jumpships. We are not hostile. Please respond." This was transmitted multiple times with no response, yet the sensors showed both Leopard CV and their fighters starting to head towards them.

"Keep sending the message. Nav, double check that we have the Zenith Jump Point correctly plotted, it will at least buy us a couple days before we are force to confront them." Captain Felicia Graves said

"Captain, transponder codes identify the Invaders as FCS Beluga and Ever Reach. I checked them against our arrival, and both were here."

"Very well, they are returning for whoever they left on the ground." Captain Felicia Graves said

"They are sending coded comms to the planet surface. Probably telling them they are back."

"Time for the transmission arrival and response?" Star Captain Branden asked

"Eighteen minutes each way."

"Sensors show the arrival of those fighters at one hour twenty minutes at the current rate of thrust. We can wait a little longer before we have to jump." Star Captain Branden said

On the surface, Major Walter Duboise hurried to the Dropships communication station the second he heard their rides had returned. The initial message had also said they were investigating another Jumpship whose transponder did not show in any databank.

"Send this back to them. Leave the Jumpship alone unless it makes a hostile move. Focus on making ready to receive Dropships for return to safe space."

Thirty minutes later aboard Excellence, Captain Felicia Graves and Star Captain Branden breathed a little easier as they watched the incoming AFFC force turn around and head back towards their Jumpships.

"That was close, we still another 30 minutes to safely furl the sail." Captain Felicia Graves said

Back on the surface, Major Walter Duboise took an APC over to where he knew Major William Mitchell was located. He was not surprised when the Major did not hesitate to walk over to greet him.

"You need something Major Duboise?" Major Mitchell asked as he offered his hand

Shaking the offered hand Major Duboise said "Our rides have returned. Well, two of the three anyway. We will be leaving in a few days, give them time to recharge."

"Trying to make it back to FedCom space?" Major Mitchell asked

"We have to try." Major Duboise replied

"I understand and wish you all the luck. If the third Jumpship does not come back, what are you going to do?" Major Mitchell asked

"Destroy them on the ground and cram everyone we can into what is left." Major Duboise replied

"Since your here, it saves me a trip. I ran a silent patrol last night and it looks like the locals are planning something, lots of activity at their respective bases. Might want to prepare yourselves accordingly." Major Mitchell said

"We will do that. If we call for help?" Major Duboise asked

"They are a threat to both of us. So, if you call, we will come running. Can I count on the same?" Major Mitchell asked

"Yes. The only heavy stuff we have are Patton tanks, no Battlemechs." Major Duboise revealed

"I really don't like waiting to get hit. I would hit them first, but I am short of my primary tool for that sort of thing." Major Mitchell said

"What are you short of?" Major Duboise asked

"Needles. Over the last couple years we have made use of tranq darts. Powerful sedatives. But we are down to only a couple hundred left. Avoids casualties and taking damage." Major Mitchell replied

Major Duboise laughed out loud as he answered "Needles, I think I can help you out with that. Our Mule has about 1100 tons of medical supplies. I am sure there are several thousand needles in that cargo." Major Duboise said

"If you could spare a few thousand, then I will make extremely good use of them. My ground pounders are experts in getting in close and quiet to use them." Major Mitchell replied with a smile

"They are all yours then. I will head back and start locating them, send them over as soon as we locate them." Major Duboise said as he got back into the APC

Major William Mitchell turned and yelled "Captain Wright, we are going to work."

"What gives?" Captain Wright asked as he reached Major Mitchell

"We are going to hit the pirates before they can hit us. Seems the Feddies have several thousand needles and are going to let us have them. So break out the sleepy juice and get your people briefed. They are 30-35 kilometers from here, so the Battlemechs can be there quick, I will have Point Commander Trishia accompany you as immediate fire support until we get there. Take down the mech pilots and any Dropship crew first. We can easily deal with Infantry troops if we have to do it the hard way. We strike tonight." Major Mitchell explained

"I will get everything ready. I was not looking forward to a conventional defense. This is much better, it's what we have done quite a few times. Sneak in, dart them and make off with the goods before they wake up." Captain Wright said

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #51 on: 26 November 2023, 19:59:07 »
And bonus points for making nice with the FedCom, too!  I'm sure there'll be an MIIO rep wanting to talk to them soon... ;)

cawest

• Captain
« Reply #52 on: 26 November 2023, 20:06:51 »
i foresee many naked pirates left behind.  duct tape a few upside down for extra points. 

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #53 on: 26 November 2023, 20:37:35 »
Looks things are going get hairy.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Elmoth

• Major
  • Periphery fanboy
« Reply #54 on: 27 November 2023, 04:41:02 »
Updated TOE of 2nd Oberon
Major William Mitchell
Star Captain Branden

36 Battlemechs (1 Thunderbolt, bunch of bugs and mediums)
 3 Platoons of dirty grunts rifle tranqs (was four but they lost 1 taking the Jumpship)
 3 Platoons of mechanized infantry (Crellacor Guards Mechanized Infantry Btn). Lt Langston
 10 Elementals (2 Points). Point Commander Trishia
 1 Mark VIIC Shuttle
 1 K-1C Dropshuttle
 1 Overlord Dropship
 1 Fury Dropship
 1 Mule Dropship
 1 Invader Jumpship "Excellence". Caaptain Felicia Graves

70-ish techs and Astechs
Crews of the dropships

STORED
Barrels of tranq
Archer ARC-2R - Left Arm actuator destroyed, medium laser destroyed, 53% armor loss
Victor VTR-9S - AC/20 destroyed, 42% armor loss
Charger CGR-1A5 - Left Knee actuator destroyed, both SRM-6 destroyed, 61% armor loss
Charger CGR-1A5 - AC/20 destroyed, right arm destroyed/missing, 69% armor loss
Rifleman RFL-3N - Left Arm destroyed/missing, right arm large laser destroyed, 55% armor loss
Shadow Hawk SHD-2H - Right arm destroyed/missing, medium laser destroyed, 71% armor loss
Shadow Hawk SHD-2H - Left arm destroyed/missing, AC/5 destroyed, 62% armor loss
Locust LCT-1V - Left arm destroyed, medium laser destroyed, 38% armor loss

2ndAcr

• Captain
« Reply #55 on: 27 November 2023, 11:50:42 »
 You forgot the 2nd Overlord Dropship that the 3rd Oberon had.

2ndAcr

• Captain
« Reply #56 on: 27 November 2023, 13:17:45 »
15/16 June 3050
Stars End

The troops began heading out at 11pm local time riding the APC's until they were 4 kilometers from the nearly twin pirate compounds. Both were almost identical setups, ramshackle barracks, a single Dropship pad at each one and several low slung warehouses. At 3am local time on the 16th after marching the last 4 kilometers, Captain Marcus Wright gave the signal to take out the few guards which was accomplished quickly. Two squads in each compound made their way across the compounds and made entry into the pirate Dropships.

Slowly and quietly both teams fired tranqs into sleeping Dropship crewmen and anyone else they located, not knowing what job they actually held. The rest of the force waited until both Dropships were declared secure before making their entry into the compounds to begin their task of taking down the camps themselves. A single squad was left aboard each Dropship, the personnel switching back to their rifles while holstering their dart guns. Anyone trying to enter the Dropships would face deadly force. But at least they had secured both pirate groups Battlemechs denying them their most powerful weapons.

By 4am, the compound containing the Red Demons was declared secure while the group tasked with securing the compound of Bobby's Butchers was only half completed when the first gunshot echoed across the compound. Captain Wright cursed as he thumbed his communicator. "Darts are out, we go live. Fall back to secure area and prepare for a fight. Point Commander Trishia, you may join the fight now." He watched as one of his teams dragged one of his from a barracks.

"Aff, on our way." Point Commander Trishia replied as she triggered her jump jets leaping over one of the warehouses into the compound. Her point following her move.

She opened fire on a group running for the Seeker Dropship dropping the group of 5 to the sand. Her suit easily deflected the shots fired at her as enemy troops exited various barracks and began firing. Her sensors identified her point of Elementals also returning fire while advancing on the enemy. "Watch our fire, we have friendlies out there that we cannot easily identify. She triggered her SRM's into a barracks silencing all resistance from that particular building. She continued advancing as shots ricocheted off her suit. She aimed low and fired a burst at the legs of enemy troops taking them to the ground. "Aim low, we have the situation under control. We are to avoid deaths when possible."

It took 10 minutes to finish eliminating any resistance. "Captain Wright, suggest everyone hold their positions until daylight. I do not wish to fire on our own by mistake."

"Roger that. Everyone hold your positions until daylight."

At 6:37am local time it was light enough to actually start moving around. Medics fanned out first checking for friendly casualties before starting treatment of the pirates. The APC's along with the AFFC MASH truck entered the compound led by Major William Mitchell in his Thunderbolt followed by the rest of his company. Once they had established a security screen, he dismounted and it was time to take account of what they now controlled.

Equipment Captured

1 Overlord Dropship (Converted)
1 Warhammer WHM-6D
2 Merlin MLN-1A
1 Catapult CPLT-C1
3 Panther PNT-9R
1 Wolfhound WLF-1B
2 Firestarter FSS-H
2 Trebuchet TBT-5N
6 Heavy Hover APC (MG)

1 Seeker Dropship (Mech)
1 Awesome AWS-8T
2 Zeus ZEU-6S
1 Archer ARC-2K
9 Heavy Track APC (MG)
12 Pegasus (Unarmed)
12 Pegasus (Missile)

Personnel Captured

Dropship Crew - 63
Mechwarrior - 39
Tech/Astech - 61
Infantry - 382 (42 WIA)

Major William Mitchell and Captain Marcus Wright looked over the very sullen captured that had not been knocked out sitting in the middle of the compound. He quickly identified several former 3rd Oberon Mechwarriors. "Boy, let you live and you just had to find a new cesspool to link up with. Here I was thinking I was rid of all of you and now I have to decide what to do with all you all over again."

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #57 on: 27 November 2023, 17:56:05 »
Where did Star's End get a Wolfhound? ???

Elmoth

• Major
  • Periphery fanboy
« Reply #58 on: 27 November 2023, 18:06:52 »
So, they captured all the pirate forces. Are they the masters of Star's end now? That looks easy...
Maybe too easy to be true.

2ndAcr

• Captain
« Reply #59 on: 27 November 2023, 18:46:01 »
 No, Stars End still is "owned" by those that run the space stations. They were just taking out the trash.

As for the Wolfhound, raiding the FedCom, its been out for over a decade.

Register