Author Topic: A Legacy Reforged - AU with Thanks Story  (Read 1656 times)

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Not Dead Until I Say So
A Legacy Reforged - AU with Thanks Story
« on: 02 January 2024, 02:21:58 »
This is something that I don't normally do it's a wee bit of a re-post of what I have previously posted as part of the main timeline - the reason for it is I realised I missed bits and have decided to go back complete the story and expand it. This breakaway story will move beyond where I'm currently at in the timeline.

A Legacy Reforged – AU with Thanks story

High Orbit
El Dorado, Crucis March
Federated Suns
28th March 3105

High above the world of El Dorado near the world’s moon Boulder a crippled green and red painted Davion II-class Destroyer flashed into existence. Most of the vessel’s armour and weapons were gone with massive chunks of the hull missing or collapsed the outer hull burned and pitted by weapons fire. The nose of the ship was mostly intact having escaped the worse attacks as the ship fled its unknown enemy, along the hull it several decks appeared to be completely exposed to open vacuum, while at the back the engines were completely dark. As the ship drifted from its entrance point the only movements from the ship were a slow spin to the port side and small internal fires fuelled by escaping oxygen from its multiple hull breaches, the ship appeared lifeless and out of control.

As the ship spun slowly two DropShips undocked from the underside of the ship moving away from the wreck, one of the DropShips was a Lung Wang-class Assault DropShip while the other was a Fortress-class vessel, behind them six aerospace fighters launched from the crippled WarShip’s launch bays abandoning it. The two smaller DropShips and the aerospace fighters immediately turned towards the planet below on their sides was a strange emblem with a Sunburst covered in two crossed dao blades. The incoming force ignored calls from the planet and entered the blue and green planet’s atmosphere heading for the surface, the WarShip continued to spin out of control now caught in Boulder’s gravitational pull. The ship was powerless to resist like a metal beside a strong magnet the ship accelerated quickly towards the small moon and quickly fell into the moon’s atmosphere out of control exploding in the nitrogen-carbon dioxide atmosphere.

Diving down over the planet’s capital the two DropShips dropped BattleMechs on top of the militia base landing near the capital of Oro.  With the Lung Wang and aerospace fighter flying in circles around the facility threatening to bombard the base below. The appearance of the force quickly takes the part-timer defenders by surprise forcing them from the base with not a single shot fired before landing and occupying the base in the name of Warrior House Sortek for the Confederated Suns under Chancellor-Prince’s Edict 14.  A confused message to New Avalon from El Dorado states the capital has been seized by the Capellan Confederation with the Seventh New Avalon Guards RCT on the continent of Sante Fe and out of position to assist.

Occupied Militia Base, Oro
El Dorado, New Avalon Operational Area
Crucis March, Federated Suns
18th May 3105

The majority of Warrior House Sortek, their tech staff and DropShip crew were in one of the main briefing rooms of the main Administration block while those who were on duty were connected by commlink and could add their comments and thoughts if they wished.  For the last three hours they had gone in circles.  “They could be lying to us, Kathil is determined to convince us to give up on our homes or it could be a plot off Robinson to forward the goals of the traitor.”  Captain Richard Winnie, one of the oldest members of the command said.

“How can you say that?  We have unrestricted access to their communications grid.  Unless these people have subverted the communications of an entire world everything points to the Federated Suns existing as a nation with New Syrtis, Robinson and New Avalon all still under Davion…”

“Steiner-Davion” another interrupted him “according to their history Hanse Davion married Melissa Steiner in the past.”  She said explaining one of the biggest differences between here and home. In their own universe the remains of the Federated Suns and the Capellan Confederation united to form the Confederated Suns with the marriage of Hanse Davion and Candice Liao.

“Not at all an example of cradle-snatching if I’ve ever heard of one” Vincent Sortek Imarra’s younger brother said gaining an annoyed look from the Grandmaster of the Warrior House.  “What?”  He asked feigning innocence “she was eighteen and good old Hanse was forty-five why he didn’t marry that battle-axe Katrina I don’t understand.”  Imarra noted that her brother had accepted the history provided to them and was ready to move on others did not look convinced.

“And the Succession Lords allowed the rebirth of the Terran Hegemony? Our Houses had no choice, the Hegemony and its army are too strong here they have built again themselves.  Can anyone really say that makes sense? They helped the rebirth of a nation that has sapped worlds from each of the states around them?”  Leftenant Chin Li Sunn the unit’s political officer said, he was one of the largest voices in the command that their place was in the Confederation regardless of who was running it.  “One of the most recent discussions on local news was about the transfer of Elgin, Hsien and Zurich to the control and protection of the Star League Defence Force.”  He said glancing around “not through combat but through trade and negotiation!  This nation is led by a man who willingly gives up control over his planets releasing them to another nation.”

“It’s not quite the same thing” Vincent Sortek complained “the Federated Suns is part of the Star League they will still have access to the planets and freedom of travel there.  This simply allows them to redeploy defences to other areas of the nation.”

“If the Star League and its member states are so strong they wouldn’t need to redeploy their forces” Li Sunn pointed out.

“Well unfortunately for the League and the Inner Sphere Kerensky wasn’t assassinated and now his descendants are causing problems for the people here and the Capellan Confederation has fallen out with the Star League." Vincent replied surmising recent history in its most basic terms. "So maybe they are redeploying to smack some of those bastards around the face.”  Vincent said raising to his face Li Sunn immediately was on his feet as well his hand on the hilt of his ceremonial boa sword his eyes on Imarra looking for support away from the oppressive political policies of the Confederated Suns her brother’s anti-Sian/Liao views unfiltered.  She knew that this divide extended throughout her unit with the majority dedicated to House Sortek and reclaiming their homeland on New Avalon while others thought the Confederated Suns should concentrate on holding what worlds it still had, which were less and less of the Federated Suns core territories as time went by.

“Where we are and where we are going are less important than keeping true to each other” Imarra said rising to her feet “if this Warrior House turns on itself then we each betray our oaths to each other and ourselves.”  She said looking at each of them “for myself I wish to see home after that my choice about my future will be made.”  She said she was torn between her loyalty to the Chancellor-Prince and her desire to see a New Avalon untouched by war.
« Last Edit: 08 January 2024, 12:43:49 by Dragon Cat »
My three main Alternate Timeline with Thanks fan-fiction threads are in the links below. I'm always open to suggestions or additions to be incorporated so if you feel you wish to add something feel free. There's non-canon units, equipment, people, events, erm... Solar Systems spread throughout so please enjoy

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,20515.0.html - Part 1

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,52013.0.html - Part 2

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,79196.0.html - Part 3

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
Re: A Legacy Reforged - AU with Thanks Story
« Reply #1 on: 02 January 2024, 03:01:57 »
Perimetre Line, Militia Firebase
Oro, El Dorado
22nd June 3105

“Ban-zhang Li Sunn we are tracking unidentified BattleMechs on our perimeter.” MechWarrior Tatyana Zheng Hong the second most senior member of his lance reported she was at the far side of their firebase on patrol, their lance was split in half for this patrol.

“We will be there presently” Li Sunn promised turning his Lao Hu BattleMech towards her position alongside him the Caesar turned as well, Chin Li Sunn was glad to see the junior MechWarrior follow without being ordered to it was a testament to Warrior House Sortek's teachings and the people of the Confederated Suns.  They crossed the distance within a few moments coming across Tatyana Hong’s Cataphract BattleMech and the Rifleman that completed their lance standing guard.  “Have they moved?”

“Standard patrol movements we believe there is an Enforcer III and another fifty-ton design we cannot identify out there.”  Hong reported as they arrived

“Very good” Li Sunn said activating two controls on his BattleMech’s computer “this is Leftenant Li Sunn of the Warrior House Sortek to unidentified BattleMechs respond or be destroyed.”  He commanded smiling when there was no response, there would be no response, after the coming battle his BattleMech’s computers would be analysed and they would show that his transmitter sent a transmission to their enemy but no message had ever been sent his lancemates would simply have been following his lead.  He disabled the override command and swapped back to his lance only channel “Sunn Lance pursue and destroy intruders” he ordered each of his Mech’s none of them questioned his orders.

The four heavies moved forward beyond their designated patrol routes and into weapons range with the unidentified BattleMechs.  Without hesitation Chin Li Sunn pulled the triggers for his LRM rack and ER Large Laser beside him the Caesar fire its own gauss rifle while the Rifleman struck out with paired light particle cannons.  The only Mech not to fire was the lance’s Cataphract which was not yet in range of the two Mechs. Even with only three of his Mechs firing the effect on the Enforce III was devastating with weapons fire striking all over the medium BattleMech doing enough damage to tear the Mech’s left leg and right arm completely off.  Even as the Enforcer III fell Li Sunn fired his Mech’s LB-type Autocannon at the BattleMech sandblasting it with a cluster shot shredding armour across its hull including the BattleMech’s head. Inside the cockpit of his own BattleMech Li Sunn smiled watching the Enforcer and its pilot die but he was rapidly brought back to the present when autocannon fire tore into the left side of his Mech fired from the other fast moving BattleMech.

Twisting his Lao Hu’s torso to look at the Mech it looked like the Lyran Commonwealth's Blitzkrieg with a single large cannon over its shoulder and capable of high speeds but the Mech had larger and thicker arms than the Blitzkrieg and thicker legs.  The BattleMech was running fast around his formation peppering them with autocannon fire the pilot, as rounds slammed into all four Mechs it was obvious the pilot was very experienced “walking” his autocannon from one target to the next.  Li Sunn watched as the Cataphract stepped forward blasting the enemy Mech with its own LB-type autocannon the damage was not enough to knock the Mech down but enough to make the enemy pilot decide that they wished to disengage from this battle with the BattleMech turning and turning to escape.

Watching the retreating BattleMech Li Sunn was tempted to let it go and carry word of Warrior House Sortek’s battle prowess but he never got a choice to make that decision as the Caesar fired its gauss rifle and particle cannon at the retreating Mech’s back. For a split second the hypersonic gauss slug appeared to connect the two Mechs before the slug went straight through the armour into the enemy Mech, moments after the gauss slug impact the man-made particle cannon shot slammed into the enemy BattleMech. The kinetic and energy forces smashed the rear armour of the BattleMech and penetrated the rear torso coring through fusion engine shielding, the amount of damage caused it to stagger and then fall to the ground where it rolled over several times before coming to rest. There was a brief chance that the pilot had survived the attack and the subsequent fall but moments after it had come to rest the wreck was engulfed in an explosion.  “Li Sunn to command, we’ve had an incident on the perimeter two BattleMechs have been destroyed by my lance.” He said in a matter of fact voice "I believe both enemy MechWarriors have perished in the engagement."

---

Several hours later Leftenant Li Sunn stood in front of Warrior Grandmaster of the Order Imarra Sortek.  “I just had an extended discussion with Marshal Goddard” she said “they have no record of your transmission.”

“I sent that communication!”  Li Sunn said defensively.  “My BattleMech’s records will confirm the communication.” He promised it was impossible that anyone would break his encrypted program which had activated the transmitter override, as far as anyone would be concerned his BattleMech had transmitted a message, the Confederated Suns had ensured that all political officers were able to send messages that no-one else could intercept or not send messages when everyone else believed they had.

“Yes, our analysis does point to that, unfortunately the surviving recording from the AFFS side does not support the claim…”

“Doctored records!”  Li Sunn said “they are trying to make us look like an aggressor!”

“I cannot rule out that” Sortek admitted rising from her chair “and the Federated Suns know that, which is why they have agreed to pull back, the Seventh New Avalon Guards have agreed to withdraw a further three hundred metres from our perimeter…”

“We should extend our patrols…” Li Sunn began seeing an opportunity the AFFS obviously had no stomach losses in combat.

“No” Sortek said “our patrols being too close to the AFFS patrols caused this problem once it will not happen again do you understand me, Leftenant?”  She asked looking at him Li Sunn was quite sure that she knew what he had done, but that his override had taken away the evidence.

“Yes sir” he said now he knew that she would not be convinced again and that she had accepted the fact that they were in the Federated Suns and that she was leading their unit into accepting this nation. While he understood her actions, he could not see his Warrior House betray their oath to the Chancellor-Prince even if the Chancellor-Prince no longer existed in this universe.  “I shall disseminate these orders to the command.”

“Thank you, Leftenant, you are dismissed.”  She said he saluted in the traditional Capellan way and then left the room.  She had not expected him to act on his dislike for their current situation but obviously she had been wrong it was something that would need monitored. As promised the AFFS troops pulled back from the firebase giving Warrior House Sortek space while they continued to discuss their differences and the Warrior Houses' future.

« Last Edit: 08 January 2024, 12:45:26 by Dragon Cat »
My three main Alternate Timeline with Thanks fan-fiction threads are in the links below. I'm always open to suggestions or additions to be incorporated so if you feel you wish to add something feel free. There's non-canon units, equipment, people, events, erm... Solar Systems spread throughout so please enjoy

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #2 on: 02 January 2024, 03:30:13 »
Command Meeting, Fire Base
Oro, El Dorado
8th July 3105

The world of El Dorado was a quiet core planet of the Federated Suns and rarely saw events which changed the Federated Suns. Citizens from the world had served in every war that the nation had fought in but not since the First Succession War had conflict other than simulated come the system. Today there was something akin to a Cold War on the El Dorado with unexpected guests continuing to occupy the militia firebase on the outskirts of the capital, one of those guests was Leftenant Chin Li Sunn of Warrior House Sortek who sat in his Lao Hu BattleMech's cockpit and watched as a Deusenburg Luxury Hovercraft, two Templar III OmniMechs and three squads of Battle Armour all baring the insignia of the Armed Forces of the Federated Suns entered the firebase held by his House Sortek.

His hands tensed on the triggers as he followed the hovercraft all it would take is one volley and the craft would disappear forever and his Warrior House would have its place.  He knew that it would also be the last thing he did if he fired he would die, Warrior Grandmaster of the Order Imarra Sortek had ordered free passage for the AFFS representatives even his own lance would fire on him for directly breaking her orders.

The hovercraft pulled up alongside the main administration building with the two Templar III OmniMechs and several of the Battle Armour troops standing guard around the limo and beside the front of the administration building.  Three figures dressed in AFFS uniforms exited the hovercraft and made their way up into the main building inside they were met by Warrior Grandmaster of the Order Imarra Sortek and her brother Vincent Sortek.  “Welcome, I am Grandmaster of the Warrior House Imarra Sortek and this is my brother Vincent.” she said greeting them Vincent remained silent bowing slightly.

“I am Marshal Duncan Goddard commander of the Seventh New Avalon Guards RCT” the first said he was in his fifties but looked fit and most likely still an active warrior despite his rank.

“I thank you for your restraint thus far I have no wish to see this world turned into a battlefield.” Sortek said, she truly did not want to lead her Warrior House against the Federated Suns warriors and population her people were still in shock, they did not need to start a fight.

“Nor do I” he admitted his forces severely outnumbered hers so badly it would not be a fight even if her troops were anything like as Elite as the Capellan Confederation Warrior Houses.  “Allow me to introduce Field Marshal Bishop Sortek commander of the Royal Brigade of Davion Guards” he said stepping to one side revealing the old man standing behind him.  Immediately Imarra Sortek bowed her head out of respect for the position and for the man.

“Elder Sortek” she said seeing the man properly.

“No lass, I’m not the Elder you are looking for” the old man said “I am just an old soldier ready for his retirement.” He said slowly smiling a kind smile Imarra raised her head again looking at him properly Sortek looked the same but the fire that lit Elder Bishop Sortek’s eyes was not there instead there was a weathered experienced soldier. This man was different from the Elder Sortek she knew he was almost disarming which if he shared the fighters mind of the Elder possibly made him more dangerous.

“And Field Marshal Conner Sortek the commander of the First Davion Guards” Marshal Goddard said immediately Vincent took several steps forward.

“Son of the Traitor” the younger Warrior House Sortek said stepping towards the youngest of the three men.  He was older than Vincent and looked close to Imarra’s own age just like his namesake, Conner Sortek the Duke of Robinson in her universe serving the Draconis Combine.

“Vincent!” Imarra commanding him to stop with a single use of his name a disciplined Warrior House officer Vincent stopped short of reaching Conner Sortek who had not moved a single step.  “This is not our… place” she said trying to find the correct words looking at Conner Sortek. The man that stood opposite her had the same the blonde hair but the scar running down through his left eye was missing in fact all of the disfiguration on that side of his face was missing, this was not their Conner Sortek.  If any of the Warrior House needed proof that they were no longer in the Confederation Suns then the two men standing in front of her should be proof anyone needed.

“My father was not a traitor her died serving in the defence of this nation” Conner Sortek replied angrily staring at Vincent Sortek his father Arden Sortek was not a traitor.

“Please accept my apologies for my brother” Imarra said imposing herself between Conner and Vincent.  “Where we are from Duke Arden Sortek sold out the Sandoval family to House Kurita and was installed as Duke of Robinson as their replacement before being assassinated.  You...”  She explained before stopping starting again “Conner Sortek was badly burned by the same Rabid Fox unit.”  She turned to Vincent Sortek “control yourself these are not the same people we know” she said “how am I supposed to convince our people of the differences if I can’t even convince you?” Her brother took several steps backwards bowing as he went and seemed to be calming down.

“We all have many adjustments to make.”  Vincent said bowing his head slightly towards Conner “I apologise for any insult; it is an emotional time.”

“For all of us cousin” Conner said trying to forge a bond with the man but all he saw was an uncomfortable flinch, these people may as well have been aliens to them.

“I would like to offer an olive branch that could help your progress in making that adjustment.”  Bishop Sortek said speaking up gaining all their attention “First Prince Davion has granted this offer so it is solely up to Warrior House Sortek to agree.”  He said informing them Victor Steiner-Davion wanted them off El Dorado and although it had taken some convincing, he had finally agreed that this was the best course.  “I would like Warrior House Sortek to join me on New Avalon at the Sortek family residence.  You will be monitored by the AFFS units on New Avalon but you will be allowed to keep your DropShips and your equipment.”

“One position of house arrest to another…” Vincent began angrily but this faded seeing Imarra’s reaction her eyes were watering with the mere idea of returning home.

“New Avalon” Imarra whispered her mind being cast back to the last time she had been on New Avalon on the burned grounds of Warrior House Sortek’s Monastery which today was still occupied by the Draconis Combine.  “We will accept” she said looking at her brother for a long moment Vincent finally nodded his agreement “our unit will be ready to move as soon as you are ready for us.”  She said to them caught up in the moment of returning to New Avalon.

“It may take some time to prepare but it will happen” Bishop promised the two younger Sorteks, despite their difference they had made a connection today and despite some of the issues they had encountered here on new El Dorado perhaps the fact that this was a world of peace had helped with the outcome.
« Last Edit: 08 January 2024, 12:45:59 by Dragon Cat »

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #3 on: 02 January 2024, 03:34:02 »
Break-out, Failing Karuna (Lung Wang)
Oro, El Dorado
26th July 3105

With the excitement within the unit of returning to New Avalon and seeing it unspoiled by the boots of the Draconis Combine no-one was prepared for what he had planned, they would take everyone including the Grandmaster by complete surprise. “Deploy those loyal to us on all decks” Leftenant Chin Li Sunn said looking at the other members of Warrior House Sortek loyal to him and to the idea of returning to the Confederation, he had convinced them all that it was their only path.  “I will secure the bridge” he promised them “we will then take this ship to a jump point commandeer a JumpShip and return to the grace of the Chancellor-Prince.”  He said they all nodded their agreement and began to head for their positions throughout the ship while Chin headed for the ship’s control bridge.  For the last two weeks their unit had done everything that the AFFS had asked of them taking steps towards preparing for their trip to New Avalon it was steps too far for Chin and the others.

It took him less than ten minutes to make his way through the DropShip and clear security checkpoints without firing a shot behind him those loyal to Chin following him overpowering the ship’s complement quickly bloodlessly.  Entering the bridge, he drew his sidearm just as the ship’s commander turned to face him “what is the meaning of this?”  The man demanded looking at Chin’s pistol.

“Captain Vedder, you are to taxi this vessel to take off and you are to take us out of the atmosphere.  We will head towards the jump point and from there use JumpShip to take us into the Capellan Confederation.”  He said explaining his plan Captain Vedder looked angry at the proposal which made Chin more determined to succeed his Warrior House needed to be shown the true path of all Warrior Houses.  “I have people on all decks and much of your crew are with us.”

“Preposterous” Vedder said dismissing the idea that they would sign on with Chin Li Sunn against him.

“No Captain, we all want this”

“Not all of us” Warrior Grandmaster of the Order Imarra Sortek said stepping into view from another entrance her weapon drawn and aimed at him.  “There are those within your movement still loyal to me they told me about your plan, Chin, my people have surrounded this vessel and other decks are being contacted to surrender.”

“We will not surrender!” Chin said angrily his weapon not leaving Captain Vedder.

“You have no choice…” Imarra Sortek began

A shot rang out…

Blood smeared the cockpit windows as the shot fired from Chin Li Sunn’s weapon impacted with Captain Vedder’s head killing the man instantly.  Even as Vedder’s corpse began to fall Chin was turning towards Imarra Sortek but he was not quick enough to land a blow before she fired a succession of shots was exchanged between the two of them with one hitting Imarra Sortek’s shoulder knocking her down but several shots hit the traitorous Leftenant.  Even as Imarra Sortek struggled back to her feet she could see that Chin Li Sunn was down and would not be getting back up she levelled her weapon at his body.

“That was a mistake” she said angrily trying to ignore the pain from her shoulder she pulled the trigger of her pistol several times shooting Chin’s downed form she knew why he had done what he had.  By forcing the Warrior Grandmaster of the Order to kill him he had martyred himself for his cause the other rebellious men and women onboard the Failing Karuna surrendered shortly after hearing of their leader’s demise but his death would have a far lasting effect.  Within her command there would always be questions asking if Chin Li Sunn had been correct by choosing his path instead of where the unit was now.  Imarra Sortek could not do anything about the decisions made by Chin Li Sunn for now all she could do is continue to prepare her unit for its move to New Avalon and to House Sortek’s territory there. Looking down at the bloodied form of Li Sunn and of the ship’s Captain she silently vowed to make her unit’s second chance worth it.
« Last Edit: 08 January 2024, 12:46:28 by Dragon Cat »

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #4 on: 02 January 2024, 04:23:22 »
First proper new bit, I sort of ended it before with them heading to New Avalon... and the rest wasn't spelled out. So here we go. I've got some more I'll post later

House Sortek Owned Land, Staging Base
Brunswick, New Avalon
9th October 3105

Arriving in the New Avalon system had been a surreal experience for Warrior House Sortek, they had arrived in the El Dorado system in a nearly destroyed Davion II-class Destroyer which had once been a proud vessel before it was shot to pieces by the Draconis Combine but on their arrival in the New Avalon system they had been met by two massive Federated Suns Battleships. Following Li Sunn’s rebellion there had been little in the way of descent from within the unit instead the Warrior House members had been subdued barely able to focus and now the sights in the New Avalon system was yet another surprise. In their home the Confederated Suns had only a few battleships after years of conflict with the Draconis Combine and all were defending manufacturing worlds deeper in the Confederated Suns, New Avalon was a system full of wrecks of its defence fleet and the Draconis Combine vessels that they took with them.

While the WarShips defending New Avalon came as a surprise stepping foot on New Avalon was a pure joy from the assembled warriors as they streamed out of their two DropShips. Grandmaster of the Warrior House Imarra Sortek led her troops out of the DropShip and dropped to her knees almost as soon as she stepped on the world’s soil, she knew this was not her world, her New Avalon, but it felt like coming home.

The Warrior House had been given a disused Staging Base for their exclusive use, there was not a single member of the Armed Forces of the Federated Suns within eight kilometres of their position although they were under constant observation by Federated Suns fighters and observation satellites. Within a week of their arrival a group of historians from the New Avalon Institute of Sciences (NAIS) who brought the unit up to speed on the various historical changes compared to their universe. They learned about Aleksander Kerensky’s survival, the Exodus of the Star League army, the horrors of the Succession Wars, the brief unity of the Federated Suns and the Lyran Commonwealth and the invasion of Kerensky’s descendants known as the Clans.

For nearly two weeks the members of Warrior House Sortek were allowed to travel across the wild and unspoiled continent of Brunswick. During their time there they were allowed to use several of the AFFS gunnery and Mech ranges and they had been visited by members of family, who were removed by an entire universe but shared the same name. Few of the visits had gone especially well her people were loyal to the Confederated Suns, they were a Warrior House loyal to the Chancellor-Prince of that realm a realm that no longer existed and the people of the Federated Suns hated those of the Capellan Confederation.

---

Today Imarra Sortek walked her Men Shen OmniMech away from the firebase which they currently called home, she knew New Avalon and she knew Brunswick especially which were making more of an impact than any visit by a family member. Slowly the Warrior House’s reactions to people visiting had convinced the Federated Suns officials arranging these “reunions” to quit sending visitors to them. The people here and her Warrior House would never be family, even she could not look at Connor Sortek and not think of the burned face of the Duke of Robinson or Bishop Sortek and not think of the Elder of her Warrior House.

The fifty-five-ton Men Shen walked slowly through the Mech range detecting a group of BattleMechs approaching all had the symbol of the Federated Suns. Her people had encountered few BattleMechs on Brunswick during their time there only when they approached major settlements. Scanning the incoming BattleMechs none she recognised, the Federated Suns had been very careful so far with what they shared with the unit, her sensors told her that all four Mechs were of the assault class. Her medium OmniMech could outrun them all but if it came to a fight and they had anything like long range weapons she would be dead. As they came into visual range, she could tell that two the smaller two were Templar OmniMechs while the largest BattleMech of the four was a one hundred ton Devastator which was popular in the former Capellan March and the Terran Supremacy.  The last BattleMech was an unknown design it a low slung BattleMech with rounded armour, boxy weapon arms and back-canted legs.

“This is Golf Sierra One to incoming Federated Suns BattleMech lance please identify.” She communicated facing them she made sure that her weapons were not powered and her targeting system was off.

“This is Marshal Bishop Sortek permission to approach Grandmaster.” A familiar voice requested

“Granted Marshal, welcome” she said as the Mechs approached she slowed her walk so they could catch her. The two Mechs of the same type fell into formation behind them while Bishop pulled up alongside her, the low-slung Mech remained on her far side. “Welcome to our corner of this beautiful world, as prisons go it’s a beautiful one.”

“It’s hardly a prison Grandmaster, but I take your point you must be going a little stir crazy?” Bishop Sortek asked while he would hardly class it as prison the presence of WarShips in near orbit made it impossible for them to escape.

“Yes, we are an elite unit Marshal, we are not going to simply integrate with your people we are not citizens of your Federated Suns. Some of my people wouldn’t recognise your First Prince if he walked up and slapped them.” She explained she heard Bishop’s chuckle interrupting her “no disrespect Marshal but have I said something funny?” She asked as the taller BattleMech slowed to a near stop allowing the other Mech to close.

“Grandmaster of the Warrior House Immara Sortek allow me to introduce Victor Ian Steiner-Davion, Duke of New Avalon, First Prince of the Federated Suns.” Bishop said

“Welcome to New Avalon” Victor said from his BattleMech “I’ve been observing your situation since you arrived, I thought it was about time I introduced myself, welcome to my nation. I hope your cell has been comfortable.” He half joked referencing what she had said the Mech’s arm indicated in the direction behind Imarra’s BattleMech and the two began heading across Brunswick’s countryside.

“Thank you… sire” she said stumbling over the term, in their universe the Chancellor-Prince was like this one known as the Celestial Wisdom. “We appreciate what you have done for us but we are a little at our wits end. We are an experienced combat unit without a target” she repeated what she had said to Bishop Sortek.

“I am well aware; I have seen your scores on the automated ranges.” He said, Imarra Sortek herself was easily on par with most MechWarriors in how own Davion Guards, while he was confident that the Guards would prevail in battle it was more due to the numbers his RCTs could bring to a battle than the skill difference. “You have options Grandmaster” He said as the two Mechs continued to make their slow walk over the range.

“Firstly, you could muster out of service retiring to live in peace, you have all earned it from what I have read, this can be done either individually or as a unit.” He offered Imarra had waited for this, it was her worse nightmare the break-up of everything that she had left. “As your equipment was not issued by the AFFS we will purchase any equipment from your warriors and they can retire comfortably.” He offered

“That is a generous offer” Imarra admitted, she had not expected the offer to purchase the equipment, her people really could live comfortably for the rest of their lives with the money their equipment was worth. “But my people are warriors, we would struggle to retire.”

“I am not surprised it is difficult to turn away from a life in the Mech seat.” He said twisting his BattleMech’s torso away from Imarra the First Prince unleashed a volley from the weapon arm with two solid red lasers and three volleys of green laser fire at a target. The firepower unleashed was incredible for a Mech design she had never seen before, the volley of fire was easily equal to an entire arsenal of some BattleMechs and that had only been one arm.

“An impressive design.” She commented firing a volley of long-range missiles from her Men Shen, her Mech was more of a scouting and raiding design than the blunt instrument that it appeared he First Prince piloted. She wondered if it said anything about the Prince but also it made her wonder what else this universe hid.

“She is called Prometheus.” Victor responded “the design is known as a Daishi, which is Japanese for Great Death. She was designed by Kerensky’s descendants; they name her Dire Wolf.” He said moments later he unleashed the Mech’s massive autocannon from the Mech’s other arm and the short-range missiles on a target closer to them, Imarra joined him in firing multiple laser blasts into another target.

“Which leads to your next option” Victor offered “you could leave the Federated Suns as a unit.” He said “there is a mercenary market out there...”

“We could not be sellswords.” She stated emphatically some of the others may be willing but she could never do it.

“I do not blame you” Victor said targeting another target “your unit would need to change its name, the Sortek name is tied to the former Federated Commonwealth nations. And due to your skill level, you would likely be sent against an enemy who matches your skill level, but perhaps one that has access to superior technology.” He said engaging another target, behind them the other three warriors were also engaging other targets on the range as they felt more comfortable with the First Prince and Grandmaster discussing the future of Warrior House Sortek.

“It is the warrior not the technology that makes a battle, we are elite, we would find a way to prevail.” She said defiantly

“I used to believe in that” he replied looking at her Men Shen, “your Mech is an OmniMech in your universe that was developed because the Star League in your universe stayed and you avoided some of the horrors of the Succession Wars. Your technological level increased and you developed new technology while our Inner Sphere almost regressed to the dark ages in places due to those four terrible wars.” He explained “the Inner Sphere you see today is only like it is because we found a memory core from the Star League but also because of technology that we have captured or traded from the Clans. The Clans have refined the technology of killing another man to a near fine art.”

“A warrior can close some of that gap.” Imarra said defiantly

“I agree but as mercenaries, independent warriors, you literally would be the warriors who have to try and hold the line against a technologically superior force without assistance.”

“We could not do that.” Imarra admitted

“Thirdly, you could join the Armed Forces of the Federated Suns.” He offered “your unit will remain together; you will initially be based off of New Avalon from your current firebase within House Sortek’s landhold.” He explained “you will be deployed with other AFFS units as an independent auxiliary force, you will be supported and supplied as if you had been raised by the Federated Suns herself.”

“As an independent command…” she said pondering the moment “we would remain a Warrior House?” She asked carefully.

“You may designate yourself as such, the term does not have good feelings within the Federated Suns due to its connection to the Capellan Confederation but the Sortek name is well respected and I am sure you can add to that.” He said carefully having a Warrior House on the rolls would be strange but he was sure they could make it work, they may even be able to turn it to their advantage.

“We would need to recruit and train our own way.” Imarra cautioned the First Prince “a Warrior House is an Elite organisation but we do not take anyone. We build our own unit and train in our own way.”

“As an independent command you may maintain your own training and recruitment.” Victor said there were several units in the Federated Suns that were not aligned with any individual brigade, they all trained and fought different than the rank and file of the AFFS. “The Sortek landhold here on New Avalon perhaps could lay the groundwork for such a training facility?” He suggested

“I think I can sell that to my command. I am not sure if they can all swear their loyalty to you. Many of them had made that oath already and may struggled to have a second oath.” She said as the Daishi stepped in front of her Mech although it was a short BattleMech for an assault class design it still towered over her Men Shen and was probably twice as wide. “And we would not relish fighting the Capellan Confederation.

“I understand that” Victor admitted, he was pragmatic enough to understand that people within his military were not completely loyal to him. “Different people join the military for their own purposes. Your unit will be expected to carry AFFS Insignia, use its ranks and wear the uniform.” He cautioned her “you will of course be allowed to retain the unique positions you currently hold as part of the Warrior House, Grandmaster.” He said acknowledging their differences but also warning them that they would have to conform. “As for fighting the Capellan Confederation I cannot and will not guarantee that you will not fight them” he warned her the needs of the Federated Suns may force them to do what they did not relish “but we will do our best to garrison you away from their border, we have many enemies.”

“Agreed, sire” she said using the term far more confidently this time, her people were a combat unit and having a military purpose would help them overcome the loss of their universe and the difficulties of this new one.
« Last Edit: 08 January 2024, 12:46:59 by Dragon Cat »

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #5 on: 03 January 2024, 16:40:37 »
Border Raid
Royal, Matsuida Prefecture
Military District of Midway, Draconis Combine
9th March 3106

In their first operation as fully fledged members of the Armed Forces of the Federated Suns Warrior House Sortek were fighting a rearguard action as intelligence had dropped a ball and somehow missed an additional regiment of enemy forces during a raid against the Draconis Combine, the old enemy. Some within the unit wondered if this was an intentional SNAFU, since they did not like having a Warrior House in their ranks, but that was a discussion for another day. She had seen many men and women from outwith Warrior House Sortek sell their lives today to allow their combined forces to retreat. Now Grandmaster of the Warrior House Imarra Sortek was at the rear of the force with two companies of BattleMechs as the DCMS forces continued to close on their forces. This situation reminded her of their final battles trying to hold New Avalon, same enemy same situation. “I wonder if today is when my ticket gets punched?” She wondered to herself just as the radio activated.

“Foxtrot One to Golf Sierra One, you need to allow us to move forward…”

“Sonia, that’s a suicide mission…” she warned glancing over at the red painted Emperor BattleMech.

“We know.” The other MechWarrior responded Sonia Wolther commanded the Warrior House’s fourth Battalion which featured some of their heaviest Mechs. “Imarra, you know my people are not adapting, New Avalon is not our world and these are not our people.” She spat, Sonia and her people were the most vocal about this raid and its likely outcome being intentional. “My warriors are ready for this…” she said “we’ve discussed it.” She said Imarra’s heart-sank she had hoped that Li Sunn’s rebellion would be the end of this for her people but obviously not.

Imarra Sortek continued backwards with her lance of warriors as Sonia Wolther’s company began marching forwards. “You are the bravest warriors I have ever served with; the Prince-Chancellor would be proud of you and Warrior House Sortek will never forget you, I will make sure House Davion remember what you did today, and those responsible answer for what happened today.” She said watching them advance every MechWarrior in the company like those throughout the Warrior House. As they moved forwards, they engaged multiple targets slowing the entire DCMS advance, their actions were buying Warrior House Sortek and the other Federated Suns forces time to escape from the system. The failed attack on Royal was one of several made by the Federated Suns as the DMI made several intelligence errors, the evidence was clear that it was not something that had been orchestrated just to eliminate Warrior House Sortek someone had made some serious errors before authorising the raids. With nearly three companies out of commission following the battle Warrior House Sortek would need years to fully recover from the battle. Returning to House Sortek’s territory on New Avalon they would rebuild and prepare for their next battle, the Warrior House already had dozens of recruits who were undergoing testing and training at their facility there, the unit would return. For her part Grandmaster of the Warrior House Imarra Sortek vowed never to forget Wolther’s Company and never allow anyone to forget them.
« Last Edit: 08 January 2024, 12:47:35 by Dragon Cat »

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #6 on: 03 January 2024, 16:42:32 »
Construction site, Buick Mountain Range
Marduk, Robinson PDZ
Draconis March, Federated Suns
28th April 3114

Massive machines were at work hollowing out a huge tunnel which would lead deep into the Buick Mountain Range on Marduk.  Dozens of IndustrialMechs supported construction vehicles moving earth and rock out of the mountain as the new facility was constructed.  Warrior Grandmaster of the Order Imarra Sortek stood back and watched as the men and women worked their machinery creating her House’s new home. After almost a decade in the Federated Suns her people had fully adopted their position in this new Inner Sphere it had taken some time but they had finally accepted their place in the nation instead of the Confederated Suns that bore them. As Imarra watched the construction efforts she thought of Captain Sonia Wolther and her company’s sacrifice on Royal in 3106 defending the Warrior House’s retreat.

Unfortunately, their people had also given up on the dream of remaining on New Avalon within the confines of the Sortek family landhold. They were too different from the other members of the Sortek family and few of them could forgive the actions of Arden Sortek or his son Conner in their universe it did not matter to many that Arden was a hero to the Federated Suns or that Conner was a loyal officer of the Armed Forces.  As a result of this tension Imarra had jumped at the offer from First Prince Burton Davion to take a landhold of their own on Marduk.  Although the world was on the Draconis Combine border and likely to be targeted by any invasion force she relished the challenge for her people. Their forces would be the primary defence force for the planet and be complemented by local militia forces, this facility would serve as their home, their Warrior House’s Monastery, their main training facility, and a fortress rivaling a Star League-era Castle Brian.

Since arriving on Marduk three weeks ago she had searched for a suitable place for the Warrior House to call home and found the Buick Mountain Range. The range was perfect for their requirements with massive reserves of granite which would protect her people should the Draconis Combine bring orbital bombardment against them and it would be capable of supporting what they planned on building on the world. To build the facility she had employed half the construction companies on Marduk for the effort to hollow out a cavern which would serve as their Castle and command complex which would host and protect their vehicle and Mech maintenance facilities and their infantry barracks.  The façade of the mountain face would be styled in a fashion which would be unique to her House forming a Monastery for their recruits to train and learn the ways of Warrior House Sortek before becoming fully fledged members of the command.  This world now would serve as a base world for her people as they travelled the Federated Suns and helped its people and it would serve as a symbol of the strength of Warrior House Sortek.
« Last Edit: 08 January 2024, 12:48:02 by Dragon Cat »

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #7 on: 03 January 2024, 16:44:52 »
Asset redeployment
Marduk, Robinson PDZ
22nd June 3116

Intent on maintaining control over their salient into the Draconis Combine the Federated Suns Navy deploy the FSS Sortek, a Davion III-class Destroyer, and the FSS Lancaster, a Vincent Davion-class Destroyer, along with several support DropShips to the Marduk system on the Combine border.  Their arrival comes as Warrior House Sortek, the wayward solders from the Confederated Suns, return from a raid into the Draconis Combine returning to their garrison position on Marduk with well over a company’s worth of Combine built BattleMechs.

On the planet’s surface the Warrior House’s fortification deep in the Buick Mountain Range was well under construction and was occupied by the unit and their support personnel, with the fortifications completed to date the facility is capable of surviving a nuclear or orbital bombardment and can support nearly five thousand personnel should it be required.  Deep within its training ranges the next generation of Warrior House inductees, which have been gleaned from across the Draconis March, are training ready to take their place in what is becoming a prestigious unit. While in front of the Monastery a massive stylized Emperor Wolther’s Monument had been built symbolizing the sacrifice made by Wolther’s company in defence of the unit on Royal in 3106.

The Warrior Houses presence on Marduk had been a serious boon to the world year on year more people flocked to the world of Marduk looking to become associated with the Warrior House which has also led to a boon in the world’s gross national product. Not everyone actually became part of the growing Warrior House but many people found employment in other companies and worked to support the unit and the world. The world’s sole production facility Norse BattleMech Works continues to produce Griffin and Wolverine BattleMechs for the AFFS and has been working on a new variant of the Lynx BattleMech which would be produced under licence at the Marduk based plant.
« Last Edit: 08 January 2024, 12:48:44 by Dragon Cat »

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #8 on: 03 January 2024, 16:48:46 »
Mechbay, Warrior House Sortek Monastery
Buick Mountain Range, Marduk
13th September 3117

Deep within the Buick Mountain Range on Marduk Warrior House Sortek had made its home it had taken the last three years for them to carve out a facility within the mountain. The facility was built in layers with technicians housed beside the equipment bays, the next layer housed the warriors and their families, beyond them were the Houses inductees and their trainers. In an emergency the facility could hold three thousand people was completely nuclear and orbital bombardment proof.  The Warrior House could hold off an enemy for months in a siege using the Monastery’s defences and other surprises to augment their firepower.

On the upper most levels of the facility there was an entire underground airfield which allowed aerospace fighters to launch without fear of being bombed while there were several DropShip landing pads hidden on the surface of the mountain with each able to retract into the mountain.  The leadership of the Warrior House had already sent a request to New Avalon requesting that the Warrior House be allowed to contract companies to build naval defence weaponry into the mountain given the location of Marduk on the Draconis Combine border.

Currently there was a little over four hundred personnel inside the base and the current mission was intended on changing that.  Walking down the stainless-steel steps to the reinforced base of the huge Mechbay Warrior Grandmaster of the Warrior House Imarra Sortek approached the four MechWarriors standing waiting for her Leftenants Chang Wong, Jessica Sortek, Cassidy Youngston and Mark Delanty.  Each of them was dressed in the ceremonial hoodless robes of Warrior House Sortek with the insignia of the Federated Suns replacing the one of the Confederated Suns on the arms and on the left breast of their robes.  Under their robes Imarra Sortek knew each had a leather sash that crossed their bodies and on it there was a vibroblade and a gauss pistol intended on giving the MechWarriors a fighting chance on any battlefield.  Every member of the Warrior House was armed from the MechWarriors to the technicians and cooks everyone would step up to defend their home to the last if it came down to it.

“Good morning to you all” she said greeting them “when we all arrived here you were children, you were sent to our Warrior House to grow up, learn how to be warriors, adults, and people of disciple.  Now we are far from our homes and far from the nation we were all born into and sworn to protect” she said reminiscing a little remembering the Confederated Suns, her home all of their homes, “however, we cannot remain in the past” she said continuing “your mission is to bring the word, and honour, of our Warrior House.  Like you were sent to us our hope is your actions will bring recruits to our banner and bring honour to Warrior House Sortek.”  She said walking from one end of the line to the other, all four of them were between eighteen and twenty years old far from being fully fledged MechWarriors and members of the Warrior House.  “I do not expect you to fight the big battles that the Federated Suns is presently fighting, your lance will not be enough for that, instead you will travel the length and berth of the Federated Suns and help its people with the smaller jobs that you find across this nation.”  She stopped walking and turned to look back at the line of MechWarriors “Good Hunting, your personal belongings have been moved to the DropShip, get to your Mechs.”  She commanded them each saluted her then turned and ran towards their Mechs leaving their robe with their technician each of them ascended to their Mech.  Each of the Mechs had been picked specifically for this missing each was either a heavier medium BattleMech or a faster heavy BattleMech.  Chang Wong’s Men Shen OmniMech was the first prepared it stepped clear of the gantry, built to be fast and capable of delivering a reasonable amount of firepower, Cassidy Youngston’s Ostol OTL-8E was next the sixty ton Mech was capable of delivering a withering amount of pulse laser fire which would make most Mechs the same size and smaller worry, Mark Delanty piloted the third BattleMech clear of the maintenance cradle was the pride of House Davion which had been given to the unit, a recently produced Centurion OmniMech.  Finally, Jessica Sortek stepped forwards in her advanced fifty-ton Agrotera BattleMech the Mech’s Partial Wings giving it an almost bird-like Mech moved with the others heading for their Aurora class DropShip which would take them across the Federated Suns in their mission.
« Last Edit: 08 January 2024, 12:48:58 by Dragon Cat »

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #9 on: 03 January 2024, 16:54:33 »
High Council Chambers
Isle of Albion, New Avalon
10th January 3118

In the carnivorous and tradition chambers of the High Council of New Avalon, and the Federated Suns, Grandmaster of the Warrior House Imarra Sortek stood ready to address the formation.  “Lords and Ladies of New Avalon, I am Grandmaster of the Warrior House Imarra Sortek the leader of Warrior House Sortek.  Three years ago, my people were brought to the Federated Suns by a freak accident from another universe, from another nation, with no way back we have dedicated our lives to this nation.” She said speaking clearly, she had chosen to wear a standard AFFS uniform instead of the Warrior House robes commonly worn by her people. She had also worn a standard weapon belt with her standard gauss pistol and vibro-blade on her belt instead of on the chest sash she preferred. Her uniform had no decorations but the insignia of Warrior House Sortek on the left breast the insignia which was like the emblem of House Sortek which featured an artist’s impression of the Crossroads Prairie on New Avalon where the house had gained its first Barony.  Warrior House Sortek added a pair of crossed swords behind the image all set upon a shield, they had chosen to keep the insignia removing only the gold colouring of the Capellan state on the swords since coming to the Federated Suns.  “Our Warrior House stands guarding the world of Marduk, where we have built a home, the good grace of House Davion and this Council gifted a portion of this world to my people giving us a permanent home and giving you a force of warriors who were fanatically prepared to defend it.  An arrangement I think everyone here is happy with?”  She asked leaving the question in the air.

No-one immediately spoke so Imarra Sortek continued “I thought so.”  She answered her own question “Warrior House Imarra finds this arrangement agreeable and will continue to guard the Draconis Combine border, but we will not continue as Warrior House Sortek.”  She said seeing their surprise, her people had been very vocal up until now about retaining the designation. “The title Warrior House brings an image which is not popular in this realm, which is understandable you have a… different history with the Capellan people than my own do, but we will not give up our name.”  She said “instead we will adopt a name more closely related to our current home and the people who are filling our ranks, we will become the Order of Sortek.”  She said announcing the change as she spoke, she saw members of the Sortek family from this universe who looked uncomfortable by her announcement but she had felt it was important for the leadership of the Federated Suns to know about these changes and raise the profile of her people. “Finally, I have a single request…” she said looking around the assembled leaders of the Federated Suns. My people are not a Capellan unit, we were not born to this nation’s long-term foe. But we also have a connection to the Capellan people if not its leadership.” She explained remembering her conversation with First Prince Victor Steiner-Davion when he visited them on New Avalon but wanting assurance from the entire council of the Federated Suns. “I ask that for the next one hundred years the Order of Sortek is not asked to engage Capellan Confederation units unless in an absolute emergency for no less than 100 years. By then those of us with any connection to that state will likely be but a memory.” The Order of Sortek defended a world on the border of a large enemy state, they needed all the support they could gather and she needed to make sure that the people hear did not forget her people, as for their request it was seen as a very small price to pay for the Order’s continued loyalty.

Recently on Marduk her people had begun to merge their trainees and inductees with older members of the command who were no longer fit enough to serve on the front-lines essentially giving them an additional double battalion of troops who served in a garrison and training role. The so-called Household Guard were going to be the “stay at home” troops should the Order of Sortek need to be deployed away from Marduk she had them regularly exercising with both her Order and with the Marduk planetary militia. If Imarra had her way the Household Guard and Militia would eventually merge into one unit which could augment the Warrior House and truly secure Marduk in any situation.
« Last Edit: 08 January 2024, 12:49:25 by Dragon Cat »

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #10 on: 03 January 2024, 22:56:57 »
Wonderful story so far, Dragon Cat!  Is this the end of this side-story or is it continuing?
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #11 on: 04 January 2024, 15:24:51 »
Wonderful story so far, Dragon Cat!  Is this the end of this side-story or is it continuing?

It will continue into the future of my timeline, I plan to complete this before continuing the main thread, this story has an end point.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #12 on: 04 January 2024, 22:48:26 »
Okay. I was archiving it, so chapter 10 sounded like it was the last one from what I read as far this particular side story not that the it won't keep going in the main timeline overarch.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #13 on: 05 January 2024, 15:51:24 »
I've just included all the old stuff for context for future updates, it's all connected

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #14 on: 05 January 2024, 20:04:18 »
Aftermath, Andrea Moreira Firebase
Tarncredi IV, Tarncredi IV PDZ
11th February 3118

In the history of Tarncredi IV Andrea Moreira was a name as well known as the planetary dukes during the Davion Civil War Moreira had been a minor noble woman who had taken up arms to join Alexander Davion’s forces and fought in the final battles for control over Tarncredi IV and to end the Civil War.  The firebase occupied by the victors of the most recent battle were a command which while in the service of House Davion were currently working without command authority Leftenant Laure Bieganski of the Order of Sortek had come to Tarncredi IV to assist in the defence of the system fighting against a Clan Snow Raven raid.

Now she and the two MechWarriors of the lance were repairing their three BattleMechs.  Unfortunately, MechWarrior Jochen Stuppacher had been killed in the fighting and his once proud Catapult BattleMech was nothing than a wreck.  As thanks for their assistance in the Trial the commander of the First Dragonlords Regiment had authorised the surviving MechWarriors to each select a single piece of Clan built salvage from the battlefield so with assistance from the tech teams each of them was fitting these weapons into their BattleMechs.  Laure’s own Enforcer III’s Extended-Range Large Laser had been replaced with a Clan made model with an additional Extended Range Medium Laser mounted beside it in the space made using the smaller weapon increasing the Mech’s hitting power.

Standing away from the lance’s Cuirass Laure Bieganski watched as the Mech’s pilot and a tech continued work to replace the torso mounted laser system with a salvaged laser when she became aware of two people approaching her from the right.  Laure was forty-two years old and had served with Warrior House Sortek for twenty-four years and had remained with the House when it had come to this universe thirteen years before. She was one of Imarra Sortek’s greatest supporters she still believed in the warrior-monk ideals of the Warrior Houses she had learned in the Confederated Suns which was why Grandmaster of the Order Imarra Sortek had deployed her with this lance to screen recruits before they arrived on Murduk.  As she turned her hand drifted to the sabre which hung from her belt out of habit rather than the threat, she wore the sabre as her primary weapon but like all members of the unit she also wore a vibroblade and a gauss pistol as standard uniform.

“Leftenant, I am Scott Kelly and this is Charlie Johnston we both served with the Dragonlords but have been given permission by our Colonel to speak with you.  We wish to apply to join the Order of Sortek.”

“You have jobs in the service of House Davion, why would you want to transfer to another command?” She asked the Order of Sortek was an elite unit, but they normally trained warriors from being raw recruits not accepting members of other units. This was never meant as a slight towards other units but the belief was that a warrior trained by another command would have the habits of that command ingrained in them which the Warrior House did not need.

“We wish to serve the whole of House Davion; your mission will take you across the Federated Suns.  We wish to train with the best and progress our careers.  Neither of us could afford to go to one of this nation’s prestigious schools we have learned on the job throughout, we wish to bring that to your command.”  Charlie Johnston explained.

“You do know that once our mission is completed, we will be heading back to Marduk and we’ll primarily serve as the defence of that world.” She cautioned them their story of learning from doing would set them up well as members of the Order.

“Yes, but we’ll learn from the best warriors on the Draconis March and join something bigger than us.” The way Scott spoke she wondered what exactly they understood about the mystique surrounding the Capellan originated Warrior House which the Order of Sortek originated from, to outsiders they were an elite unit which was fanatically loyal to its liege lord. While there was an element to that in truth every Warrior House, or Order, was loyal to itself and its warriors first, its nation second, there was a connection between the warriors and the teachings of the order.

Laure privately wondered if the Federated Suns truly understood what the Order of Sortek was and what its true purpose was, Amarra Sortek had already told all of their members that the establishment of an order which would stand the tests of time and be self sustaining was all important. There was a loyalty to New Avalon but a distinct lack of loyalty to House Davion specifically within the unit, Amarra Sortek publicly as the Grandmaster of the Warrior House spoke to her unit's loyalty, and by recruiting from the population of the Federated Suns loyalty to House Davion would likely come but who knew what would happen long term.

“I will speak with your Colonel and confirm your attachment to my lance, neither of you will immediately serve as a MechWarrior you will go back to being apprentices that is understood? There will be a lot of fetch and carry tasks to do, we will keep your MechWarrior training up but it will mainly be in the simulators until you have proven yourselves.”  She warned them both, there was no point taking people who weren't willing to make personal sacrifices. “Assuming your transfer is confirmed I will assign you to one of my MechWarriors a new form of learning and training will begin. None of this will be easy” she warned. “You will be tested on academic study, history, hand-to-hand and personal weapons, BattleMech piloting, gunnery and maintenance.”  Both nodded their acceptance of the terms within hours Laure had spoken to the Dragonlords Colonel who explained that while he had have liked to keep the two MechWarriors both had lost their Mechs fighting the Ravens and he had no other BattleMechs available at present so he was ready to dispossess them as he had no means of transferring them to another unit.  Both MechWarriors were capable if not stellar Laure hoped that with training the two would become productive members of the Order of Sortek, if not they would be cut perhaps serving with the Household Guard instead.
« Last Edit: 08 January 2024, 12:49:58 by Dragon Cat »

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #15 on: 05 January 2024, 20:40:51 »
This part is completely different from what was originally written in the timeline... let me explain, the content is largely the same but the original version of this event was written terribly I don't know what I was thinking when I wrote it. So an improved version.

Heavy Raid
Marduk, Robinson PDZ
20th March 3118

What would later be described as an assassination attempt is launched against Marduk and specifically the Order of Sortek. The strike which amounted to a combined arms regiment, similar in make up to a Sword of Light Regiment of the DCMS struck at the Order of Sortek, its own Household Guard and the planetary militia. While the unit was built like a Sword of Light Regiment and equipped with Draconis Combine sourced equipment they did not fight with the Elite reputation of such a command and the combined forces deployed by the defenders were able to contain the attacking forces, pin them into their landing zones and force them back off the world within five days of heavy fighting.
The main attack was however only a diversion during the main attack there was a concentrated effort to destroy BattleMechs of Capellan origin believing those to be piloted primarily by the commanders of the Order of Sortek, as the unit was fashioned after a Warrior House, the attackers specifically ignored machines of Davion construction even though there was better chance of taking those down to target Capellan designs. This strategy only truly became apparent during the analysis of the battle with gun camera footage and sensor readings examined by the Order of Sortek and the Department of Military Intelligence but it proved very costly to the attackers giving the defenders several openings during the battle.

Also launched during the main battle was a secondary more stealth attack using both conventional and Battle Armour equipped troopers who struck directly at the Order of Sortek’s man base of operations. The Monastery as the Order called it was designed like a Star League-era Castle Brian and built into the side of a mountain it was designed to soak up a tremendous amount of damage from an outward attack but like all large facilities it needed to have access ways for water and air ventilation. Conventional troopers had been able to breach several of these points at the same time before ambushing defenders at several entrance points, two of these are then breached by Battle Armoured troops causing even more chaos within the facility.

Unfortunately for the attackers that while they had been able to breach the first layer of defences the facility was built like a honeycomb inside and it was designed to survive a sustained attack with each layer providing its own layers of armour, armaments, and waves of defenders. During an attack every member of the Order of Sortek was expected to throw themselves into the defence of their home and during the Orders few years they had recruited a huge amount of support personnel way over and above where the unit had started with just two DropShips. Over two hundred members of the support staff and of the conventional brigades of the Order of Sortek are killed during the strike against The Monastery, a dagger blow to the command.

Analysis of the battle points to the attack being directed at the Order of Sortek and specifically at command members of the unit and those of Capellan birth of which nearly fifty percent of the unit’s Capellan BattleMechs are heavily damaged to the point of being crippled and will take years to fully repair. While these attacks were effective at striking the Capellan designs it was not at eliminating the leaders of the unit as the Order had come from a nation which was an amalgamation of the Capellan Confederation and Federated Suns and her commanders piloted Mechs of both nation's origin. To further confuse attacks in the future Imarra Sortek directs the quartermasters to buy BattleMechs from within the Federated Suns that originated from all five Succession States and she encourages her company commanders to chose any of the new designs available in this new universe. Unfortunately buying Clan designs is nearly impossible in the Federated Suns outside the Sea Fox trading world of Spica with neither the Raven Alliance or Nova Cat's Den currently viable trading partners to the Federated Suns.

The equipment that was used during the attack was mainly of Draconis Combine and Raven Alliance origin but also a lot of the equipment was available to be bought straight off the shelf, the enemy unit did not fight like a Draconis Combine Sword of Light Regiment which it was supposed to be and DMI reports suggested that there were no such units near Marduk during the attack. None of the enemy warriors who were downed during combat survive to be interrogated with many of them taking their own lives instead of being captured the origin of the attack is for now a mystery.
« Last Edit: 08 January 2024, 12:50:30 by Dragon Cat »

Brother Jim

• Lieutenant
« Reply #16 on: 06 January 2024, 09:19:17 »
My brain said "ROM" when I finished this section, but it could be Capellans.

Naaah, gonna stick with ROM, just not the Space Knight variety.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #17 on: 06 January 2024, 10:41:55 »
Heavy hit, their having troubles to rebuilding.  What about buying stuff from the Star League Protectorate?

Side question: Is the original entry into the main story being fixed?

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #18 on: 06 January 2024, 12:57:48 »
Heavy hit, their having troubles to rebuilding.  What about buying stuff from the Star League Protectorate?

Side question: Is the original entry into the main story being fixed?

Short answer no. None of the extra bits written on this thread will be duplicated in the main threads. Main reason is word count I don't want to add to previously large posts

My brain said "ROM" when I finished this section, but it could be Capellans.

Naaah, gonna stick with ROM, just not the Space Knight variety.

An answer will come but in this timeline ROM both generations of it (CS/WOB) are dead.

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #19 on: 06 January 2024, 20:51:18 »
Deleted
« Last Edit: 08 January 2024, 17:41:12 by Dragon Cat »

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #20 on: 08 January 2024, 12:40:57 »
Order of Sortek Fieldbase, Mobile Maintenance Cradle
Delacambre, Draconis March
Federated Suns, Periphery
14th November 3118

There were not many systems in House Davion this deep into the periphery, located deep within the outback of the Draconis March the system of Delacambre was in an area of space between territory claimed by the Snow Ravens and Nova Cats but not near either’s border. Due to this remoteness and lack of heavy industry the world had no line defence units and instead was defended by a locally funded and equipped militia and whatever units happened to be passing through. Today the Order of Sortek Detached Lance was on the world, officially the lance of three Mechs had only passed through to resupply with food and munitions but they had also been training with the local militia sharing some of their teachings and training.  When a pirate force had arrived in system Leftenant Laure Bieganski, the lance’s commander, had volunteered their assistance immediately.

In battle against the pirate force the three front-line BattleMechs fought like they were twice as numerous and had helped repel the pirate force after several hours of fighting. While the lance was not a mercenary formation, the Order of Sortek were officially members of the AFFS, the Governor of the world had decided to award the Order with a salvaged BattleMech which now was held up by the maintenance cradle.

“What do we have? Tech Gaubert” Leftenant Bieganski asked the tech who was on the maintenance cradle, looking at the BattleMech she knew what she thought it was it looked like a Rifleman but there was something off and it was too heavy.

“Believe it or not Leftenant this is eighty tons of Rifleman II. Or it was once upon a time.”

“A Rifleman II?”

“She’s SLDF Leftenant, through and through to the structure there’s numbers on this Mech that tells us she was originally built in 2773.” Brigitte Gaubert explained as they looked at the BattleMech Bieganski had not heard of the design. In her universe the Rifleman was still a line BattleMech of the Terran Supremacy and it had been upgraded throughout the years but there was no successor design.

“That Mech’s almost is almost three hundred and fifty years old?” She asked looking at the BattleMech still in shock “they were built to last.” She whispered

“Oh, they were at that Leftenant, the problem is the SLDF abandoned this beast probably during the reunification war. Whoever found it did not know how to repair Endo Steel, they didn’t have a spare extra-light so it has a smaller standard fusion engine and they didn’t have LBX autocannons.” The tech explained reaching over to point at the Mech’s chest and arms she could see some patchwork repairs and bits that looked like they did not fit.

“So, we have some sort of hybrid?” Bieganski groaned she hated FrankenMechs when techs took parts of one Mech and mated them with another to make one complete BattleMech, they were always very unpredictable.

“Sort of Leftenant” Gaubert admitted “but whoever did it is a fricken genius.” She admired “they somehow mated standard structure to the Endo creating an Endo-composite, I don’t understand how they did it.” She said “I’d guess they took the other structure from an Awesome, you can see it around the shoulders and upper chest mainly but she’s been reinforced throughout” she said.  “It is not nearly as strong to as your normal structure but still lighter. You can see it around the upper torso, they probably made the change when they ripped the old engine out.” It hit Laure Bueganski like someone had hit her, there were no extensions to the torso instead the armour curved downwards towards the torso mounted lasers “you’ve got standard autocannons replacing the LBXs, two medium lasers in the torso and someone’s bolted a small laser to the outside of one of the autocannons.  Honestly, I’d rather take off the small laser and have more armour she’ll only carry twelve tons total once we get her repaired fully.” Bieganski nodded twelve tons of armour on an eighty-ton Mech was not a lot of

“Something you can do?”

“Not out here boss, maybe if we ever land somewhere with a full Mechbay I could have a look at it, honestly this thing is carrying too much ammunition, hasn’t got any CASE and there is not nearly enough armour. The SLDF might have been able to field companies of the same Mech and could afford acceptable losses from under-armoured Mechs but we cannot.” He said looking at the BattleMech they could not afford a Mech that was a walking bomb in their small unit.

“Agreed, but if you can get it operational, we can use her as an anchor. She’s slower than our other Mechs but heavier.” Bieganski said looking at the hulk “Mr Kelly, you think you can pilot her?” She asked looking up at one of Gaubert’s assistants. While acting as a tech now Scott Kelly, formerly a member of one of the Dragonlords regiments was trained as a MechWarrior first.

“Yes, sir Leftenant”

“Then once its operational you get to walk her to the DropShip, if you don’t drop it on its face, you’re a member of the lance.” Bieganski said offering the applicant a chance to prove his abilities in battle. The other applicant they had in the unit Charlie Johnston would get a chance in the future; they would just have to wait it was an unfortunate fact, she only had so many BattleMechs.

“Thank you, Leftenant, I’ll do my best”

“You don’t need your best today, Kelly, but I’ll expect that in battle.” The Order’s lance would not be staying on Delacambre, that was not the job of this lance, soon they would leave heading to another system bringing the teachings of their Order to more who did not know they needed it. The people her were nice and they appreciated the Order’s help but they were not people who would be flocking to their banner. The Order of Sortek’s journey passing the message and teachings of the Order of Sortek was having an impact on dozens of worlds and already sending thousands of new recruits to Marduk but not from Delacambre. While not everyone would join the Order of Sortek or even the Household Guards others were filling jobs in other areas on the world, in construction, farming, an off-world mining facility had been constructed and the Order of Sortek itself was building facilities on Marduk’s moon.
« Last Edit: 08 January 2024, 12:51:32 by Dragon Cat »

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #21 on: 08 January 2024, 16:22:30 »
Were in the past?

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #22 on: 08 January 2024, 17:40:29 »
No I've messed up those two should be flipped

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #23 on: 08 January 2024, 17:41:48 »
Reposted and fixed

Running Battle, Great Southern Farmlands
Broken Wheel, Minette PDZ
11th August 3119

During their spell detached from the Order of Sortek the lance of BattleMechs commanded by Leftenant Laure Bieganski had been charged by the Order with spreading their teachings and beliefs, training with locals and helping in the defence of the Federated Suns from outside threats should something happen when they were on world. On many worlds the simple presence of an additional lance of BattleMechs with their own DropShip made a lot of difference giving the local militia forces a boost in mobility. This wasn’t a huge issue on a world like Broken Wheel which had DropShips and heavy lift aircraft available but was always helpful to defenders.

While on the world of Broken Wheel the Order had successfully held several meetings with people and worked with the local Broken Wheel Training Battalion teaching them some of the drills which made the Order of Sortek such a successful combat unit. These drills focused on teamwork, covering each other, coordinating attacks and on the physical condition of troops all of which added to their effectiveness in battle and the survival rate of their troops. Laure’s people had passed on that training, practice and working as a team were key to success now however, she now in the heat of battle found herself alone and separated from the remaining two BattleMechs of her lance and she was being hunted by a BattleMech belonging to Clan Nova Cat.

In the early hours of the morning a raiding party had arrived with long range autocannon, missile and laser weapon attacks lighting up the night’s sky, there had been no traditional Clan Batchall just weapons fire which had been answered by their guard Mechs which included one of the Order of Sortek. During several hours of fighting which had followed these opening salvos one of her pilots Jean-Claude Galley had been shot out of his Cuirass BattleMech. The pilot had ejected safely and but the transmitter had failed on launch a search and rescue mission had been launched but it had taken several hours and he had only been found a short while ago still in his ejection seat killed on impact following a failed parachute.

Now Laure ran her Enforcer III hunting an injured Clan Nova Cat Piranha BattleMech, the Mech weighed in at half as much as her medium class machine but carried a fearsome amount of firepower twelve machine guns backed up by three lasers. The pilot had wiped out two platoons of the Training Battalion’s infantry and destroyed two vehicles before retreating as Laure’s BattleMech approached. Angered by the cowardly attack on the support forces Laure had pursued the Piranha into the darkness causing damage with a long-range laser shot as the light Mech retreated.

The two BattleMechs were running passive sensors attempting to catch each other out in the corn fields which they now walked through. The genetically modified corn stalks easily stood around eight metres high concealing the BattleMechs from each other visually until they were directly on top of each other. It was down to wits and chance who the victor would be, despite her Mech’s superior size over the Clan BattleMech one attack could change everything due to the tech advantage Clan technology held. The Clans were the descendants of the Star League forces, which in her home universe had fuelled the power of the Terran Supremacy, while the Supremacy had made advances war had kept them even with the rest of the Inner Sphere. In this universe the Clan isolation and focus on individual combat and the excellence of being a warrior had led to impressive weapon, equipment, and armour advancements. Following the invasion by the Clans fifty years ago had led to advancements to counter the invaders advances, she wondered what would have happened in her universe if there had not been the Fifth Succession War.

Suddenly, the left-hand side of her BattleMech’s armour registered damage and she heard the ferocious roar of machine gun fire tearing into the Enforcer III’s armoured hide, knowing the potential of the Mech she faced Laure decided not to take the chance of trying to resist the damage she cursed and launched the fifty-ton BattleMech into the air on its jump jets escaping the attack just as two opal-coloured heavy lasers and more machine gun fire tore through the place her BattleMech had been in. Laure controlled the short jump her Enforcer had made coming to land inside the corn field and turned again to hunt her pray, round one to the Clan MechWarrior.

The Enforcer III had taken light damage from the ambush and fortunately nothing critical had been damaged but she had surrendered the initiative against the enemy Mech. Standing in the cornfield Laure decided to leverage one advantage she did hold turning her Mech back towards her former location she pointed the BattleMech’s ultra-autocannon left arm and triggered a burst of fire through the cornfield firing blindly, she knew she had ammunition to spare and one lucky hit would cripple the Piranha. The weapons fire was a distraction though she had another advantage over the Clan Mech and saw that the Enforcer III’s jump jets had recharged she toggled the controls of the Mech’s jets firing them at less than a fifth of their maximum potential making the fifty-ton BattleMech hop into the air on a cushion of fire over the dry cornfield.

At full power the jump jets would incinerate the crops but at this power they had a different effect starting a fire with the fuel around her Mech. The fire would likely consume the entire field of corn and hopefully drive the Piranha in the direction she wanted it to go. The Enforcer III’s double heat sinks would help resist the increased heat caused by the fire while she knew the enemy Mech only used single heat sinks which would put it at a disadvantage. Setting fire to crops to win a battle was not the honourable thing to do but the greatest honour was to win, should she be asked about how the fire started she would inform anyone who asked that it was an accident they were the only two warriors out here and only she would be walking out of the battle.

---

For thirty minutes the fire continued to build and the two BattleMechs continued to duel Laure had been able to catch the lighter Piranha unaware with her large laser and she had burned through the connections which held the Clan Mech’s left arm reducing it, and the laser there, to a useless piece of slag metal. The Piranha had returned fire with its single remaining laser causing armour damage but Laure had kept her Enforcer III out of the range of the Piranha’s machine gun salvo which the Clan warrior had fired in frustration filling the air around the Enforcer III as she retreated into the flames.

The final moments of the battle had come as a surprise to both warriors fighting exhaustion and heat build-up the Piranha pilot stumbled upon Laure’s Enforcer III hitting it with its remaining lasers and machine guns devastating the fifty-ton BattleMech’s armour and damaging the large laser and destroying the Mech’s medium laser at near point-blank range. The Enforcer had weathered the assault though and replied with an equally devastating blow with autocannon fire at point blank range which had gutted the Piranha’s torso shattering links between the fusion engine and the Mech’s other systems. Without power the Piranha had fallen to the ground and was consumed with fire. Unable to escape the flames from their prone BattleMech the Nova Cat warrior was consumed by the fire.

With her Enforcer’s battle records “unfortunately corrupted” by damage caused during the battle Laure was cleared of wrongdoing and the fire, which burned for three days after the battle, was put down to being started incidentally during the fighting. The fire had destroyed the cornfield she had fought in and had burned through several acres in every direction, the people of Broken Wheel would foot the cost for the damage and the recovery, but she had been victorious and that was all that mattered for a member of Warrior House Sortek. Despite its “friendly-trappings” of the Order of Sortek Larie Bieganski had been born into the unit and raised with the full knowledge and upbringing which had been instilled in the unit when it was part of the Confederated Suns and was a fanatical believer in the ends justified the means when it came to victory.

Following the battle Laure learned that another of her warriors Ted Souffrant had been killed in the cockpit of his Caesar which had also been destroyed during the battle reducing her lance to two battered BattleMechs and one wrecked Cuirass with no pilot. To rebuild her unit and continue her mission Laure chose to promote a trainee Charlie Johnston to the position of pilot of the Cuirass while also recruiting a Watchman BattleMech independent MechWarrior Lena Hurst to the command, Hurst would be trained in the way of the Order while serving as a MechWarrior which was a break from protocol but required for the current situation. Additionally, the lance brought in two members of the local training battalion as trainees who would be inducted into the order and trained as future pilots.

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #24 on: 08 January 2024, 23:04:34 »
Time for a couple of answers a year ahead of where the timeline is at the moment.

Meeting, Royal Court of House Sandoval
Castle Sandoval, Robinson
Draconis March Federated Suns
23rd October 3121

Within the Royal Court of House Sandoval on the world of Robinson deep within the fortress Castle Sandoval Duke Jerome Sandoval sat nervously the recent arrival of First Prince Burton Davion and the First Davion Guards Regimental Combat Team on the world had caused his nervousness. The Sandoval family were one that was in mourning following the recent death of Duke Duncan Sandoval and much of the Second Robinson Rangers fighting the Draconis Combine, Duncan was his cousin the son of Tarncred Sandoval and the younger brother of Duchess Elaine Sandoval the person Jerome had taken leadership of the Draconis March.

The door opened and First Prince Burton Davion leader of the Federated Suns entered the throne room of the Sandoval Family, as close to the Draconis Combine as they were the throne room had décor like that found within the Draconis Combine with a minimalistic and Japanese styles but with a Terran European flair instead of the straight Asian influence found in the Draconis Combine border worlds. Unlike his father Burton Davion had grown into a large man who despite having a regrown leg and an artificial arm was very fit and muscled. Even under the standard Field Marshal uniform he wore Jerome Sandoval could not feel but intimidated watching him march in. The First Prince was in his late fifties but his brown/blonde hair was only showing a little grey around the sides where a MechWarrior’s neuralhelmet contacted his head, otherwise he looked healthy unravaged by time. Jerome Sandoval on the other hand was now in his seventies and quite a bit overweight, he had gotten comfortable after securing his seat on Robinson.

“Welcome to Robinson, First Prince Davion” Jerome greeted his leader rising briefly.

“Thank you, Duke Sandoval, my condolences on your personal loss Duncan was a promising young commander. It was a terrible situation your Second Robinson Rangers got into on An Ting.” He said “I would have thought he would have consulted the DMI reports which put a Sword of Light Regiment on that world with full WarShip support.” He said standing away from the Duke.

“Yes, that was a mistake…”

“A mistake to open a second front against another Succession State when we are already engaged with the Capellans!” Burton snapped taking several steps to his left “exactly what was the plan?”

“You would have to ask the commander of…”

“HE’S DEAD!” Burton snapped angrily losing his temper, his anger brought the attention of the two guards who stood outside who opened the door to check what was happening. “HE’S FINE UNLIKE THE RCT HE SENT AGAINST THE DRACONIS ****** COMBINE!” The First Prince shouted angrily walking towards the doors both guards made a hastily retreat. Burton Davion turned back towards the Duke of the Draconis March. “Do you know why I am here?” He asked the other man allowing his anger to calm a little.

“To investigate the loss of the Second Robinson and Duncan…”

“Why am I here personally?” Davion asked interrupting him “orders were intercepted, by people loyal to me, that came from YOUR OFFICE to the Second’s command bunker ordering them to make the assault.” He stated “you killed your cousin and possibly started a new conflict with the Draconis Combine for what?” He asked angrily moving towards the Duke, “to eliminate a political rival?” He asked stepping closer “Duncan was becoming popular recently calling you out for stealing his place on this world.”

“He was young and inexperienced he was in no place to take over this March, he lacked the experience and the support. I am holding this March together for the Federated Suns.”

“By killing its people” Burton challenged “you’re hurting the Federated Suns. It was bad enough with your antics that caused the deaths on Marduk.” He said angrily seeing Jerome’s surprise. “What? Do you really think that a March Lord spending money on buying Capellan-made equipment wouldn’t go unnoticed? It took the DMI a long time to piece it all together, we thought it was for a false flag operation of some kind aimed much higher.” Burton said walking across the Throne Room the DMI had found out about the funds being spent in the Draconis March and thought it was going to be used as a private mercenary force, or to circumvent the number of forces the March was allowed. Intelligence even suggested that they could be used to spark a war with the Capellan Confederation which likewise may end up with forces limits being increased or worse for a headhunting attack against New Avalon and the First Prince. “Weren’t we surprised when we learned that the only reason you had bought that equipment was to destroy the Order of Sortek, you spent a sizable portion of your personal wealth to destroy a nothing unit.”

“They are traitors, showboating to acting like they are everyone’s friend and saviours, like they knew better and had been taught better. It was bad enough when they were based off New Avalon” Jerome said defensively “who do they think they are travelling throughout the Federated Suns spreading their Capellan teachings. Your father and then you made a mistake harbouring them! And worse you gave them a world!”

“A world we took from the Draconis Combine, a world that is still on the border and vulnerable to invasion.” Burton pointed out “but, you, YOU were jealous of them and decided that they needed to what pay for what you believed to be a slight on your authority?”

“They needed to be shown that they were not invulnerable and to stay within their designated space.” Jerome said weekly.

“And yet AFTER you attack them, they continued to send warriors throughout the Federated Suns recruiting more warriors and spreading their teachings.” The First Prince pointed out walking back to the centre of the room facing Jerome Sandoval who had shrunk back into his throne. “They were acting with my authority.” He said looking at the Draconis March Duke, “your office was informed that they had my authority.”

“I… I… wasn’t aware” he stammered looking down.

“As a March Lord of the Federated Suns it is your duty to pay attention to these things.” He said calmer Jerome’s face had not left staring at the floor in front of Burton’s feet. “But it is also something that we could overlook.” He said as the man glanced up “something I HAVE overlooked for three years, but then today comes.”

“Today” he whispered “today I got my cousin killed.”

“Because he was going to be a challenge to your rule, a rule you inherited from Elaine and that you promised her that Duncan or her son would inherit one day.” He reminded the man “have you forgotten that, Jerome? You PROMISED her.” He drummed into the Duke who appeared to be sinking into his chair Duncan Sandoval was Elaine’s younger brother he had been twenty when he had died, Elaine’s own children were at their oldest in their teenage years. “So, I’m forced to look away from the Capellans and make a change here, you’re out of that seat and off Robinson.” He said Jerome was not “return to Dahar for all I care.” Burton said the Sandoval family held near dominance total dominance on that world along with a couple of others beyond Robinson in the Draconis March.

“What about Robinson?” Jerome asked not moving immediately. “Corwin is gaining experience but he isn’t ready, I could…”

“No, your son will not step up and no you will not assist the new leadership.” Burton stated shutting down that plan immediately. “Elaine will take charge again.” The First Prince stated “and this time unlike when you arrived and were so happy to take command, I will do what you should have done and support her.” He stated seeing Jerome not moving “Duke Sandoval move your arse, NOW!” Burton snapped having enough of him not moving, he had all but assassinated Duncan by sending him to An Ting, a victory there would have been a huge one but without a full invasion force it had been hopeless.

Duke Jerome Sandoval did not make eye contact with the First Prince as he almost slid off the throne and walked out a side door of the Throne Room. Burton reached into his trouser pocket and pulled out a hand-held “General come in now.” He said before putting it back moments later the main doors opened and in entered the fifty-three-year-old Leftenant-General Canin McKinnon, unlike his more famous father Ross McKinnon Canin had so far had a quiet career commanding McKinnon’s Raiders Regiment they had raided the Draconis Combine regularly but due to the size that the command had grown to it did not have the exploits of the old Fox’s Teeth Company. “General, clean this House, I want this Castle secure by the time that Elaine and her family return. You’ll have your regiment and an additional battalion of Rabid Fox to assist.”

“Understood sir, I’ll transfer anyone we have concerns with and reinforce things in the March and watch for any adventures by the Combine.” He promised the First Prince for the last twenty years the Fox’s Teeth had served in various places in the Draconis and Capellan March, they knew their enemies well.

“I wouldn’t blame them after that idiot’s actions.” He said glancing at the door now feeling drained of energy the adrenaline from the confrontation gone. “I need to go to Marduk.”

“Is that wise?”

“Probably not” Burton admitted “we owe them an explanation; I owe them I’ve owed them something for three years.” The First Prince said walking back out the main door leaving the Leftenant-General behind in the throne room alone, he was used to field tents and command bunkers not the very oriental flavoured House Sandoval throne room.

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #25 on: 25 January 2024, 22:25:30 »
Tour, Order of Sortek Monastery
Marduk, Robinson PDZ
12th November 3121

In the courtyard in front of the main entrance of the Order of Sortek’s Monastery on Marduk First Prince Burton Davion stood looking up at the massive Wolther’s Monument which symbolized the sacrifice of Wolther’s Monument which had saved the Order from heavy casualties fighting the Draconis Combine. It felt strange to him looking up at a stylized Emperor BattleMech, a BattleMech common in the Capellan Confederation, on a Federated Suns world on the Draconis Combine border. He had been on Marduk for four days now visiting the Order of Sortek and had seen their arrayed forces, he was impressed by what the Order had done. On the world they now had an entire regiment of BattleMechs, a reinforced armour regiment and an entire brigade of infantry and support troops which were split between their main unit and their Household Guard. He had spoken to the world’s Governor and the praises of the unit had been sung, according to Governor Durrant Emjiib the Order of Sortek had been helping in efforts across Marduk.

“First Prince Davion” Grandmaster of the Order Imarra Sortek said approaching from behind him but remaining at a respectful distance.

“Come forward Imarra” he said to the older woman who stepped up beside him, he was her guest it was only right he treated her like an equal. She stood beside him in silence looking at the Monument he knew other commanders would have broken the silence and guessed this was a hold-over from her time with the Confederated Suns. “Speak your mind Grandmaster.”

“First Prince Davion, I have seen you here several times over the last days does our facility displease you?” She asked most of the Order’s Monastery was underground built into the mountain face which they had chosen as their home, now the facility had accommodations for eight thousand people, stores to feed them for three months, Mech and vehicle maintenance facilities, and fighter launch bays. They planned to expand their footprint on the surface of the mountain as well but for now underground had been the priority.

“Neg” he answered using the Clan word which his wife was fond of he saw her momentary confusion “no” he said in plain English “I’ll admit I prefer when I can see the sky above me but what you have done here and on Marduk is very impressive.” He said complementing their work

“Thank you, may I ask why you keep returning here?”

“You mean other than it being good PR for people to see me honouring your fallen warriors?” He asked looking at her smirking “its amusing seeing a statue with an Emperor on the Draconis Combine border.”

“It was popular with our unit in our past life, we have lost a few.” She said glancing down

“Aff, I mean yes” he replied almost laughing he rarely realised how much his wife’s speech had rubbed off on him until he was with someone who was not used to it. “It is the nature of our calling. You have fought many battles since coming to the Federated Suns but I do not see your battle to defend Marduk commemorated.” He said naming their bloodiest battle and the real reason for his visit.

“How can we commemorate something when we do not know who the enemy that attacked us were?” She asked “the equipment was of Draconis Combine or of that you could get on the open market. Not one of the warriors have we, the DMI or MIIO been able to pin to a DCMS unit.”

“And you won’t” Burton said turning away from the monument towards the Grandmaster “that unit was created by Duke Jerome Sandoval to strike at the Order of Sortek and to humble your unit.”

“Humble us?” She asked keeping her anger in check

“I believe he thought you were for lack of a better term ‘showboating’ with your travel around the Federated Suns recruiting and helping worlds defenders.” Burton explained “he did not understand what you were doing or that my office had authorised your travel.”

“How is that even possible?” She asked her anger rising despite her training “sire, in my universe you know we were betrayed by Ardan and Conner Sortek, they were instrumental in the fall of Robinson to the Draconis Combine. How can you now say that the leadership of Robinson, the lords of the march we live in, are against us?”

“They are not.” Burton said with finality “I have removed Jerome Sortek from a place of power on Robinson and placed someone loyal to the Federated Suns in an advisory role to the new Duchess.” He said, he did not like how that sounded but it was true General Canin McKinnon’s job was to make sure Robinson did not do something like this again.

“This is a lot to accept” Imarra said “we have given our blood, sweat and a no small number of tears since coming to your nation First Prince and now I learn there are members of a senior family who are against us.”

“People are just that people, leaders make mistakes, Jerome Sandoval has paid for his mistake he will never be able to directly harm your unit again. I am the leader of the Federated Suns his decisions fall on me.” He said “I will make up for them. I have ordered Federated Suns units to strike at the systems of Donenac, Harpster, Deshler, McComb and Lima.” He explained naming five systems directly over the border from Marduk. “But I have left one system for you and me.”

“Royal” she answered naming the system which had caused her using a previous loss she glanced up at Wolther’s Monument.

“Yes, I cannot make up for what Sandoval has done, I cannot bring the dead back” he said “but if you will agree to it, I will fight beside you and strike at the Draconis Combine. You cannot strike at one injustice but I can make up for another, together we can remind your enemies of who the Order of Sortek are.” He said Imarra did not say a word instead she looked up at the massive sculpture of the Emperor BattleMech then back towards the First Prince. She brought herself up to a parade stance and saluted the First Prince who returned the salute as their bargain was agreed.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #26 on: 26 January 2024, 09:27:40 »
Nice entry, I like this story so far.

Register