Author Topic: Mars Rising - Marian Hegemony V: Barbari ite Domum!  (Read 101655 times)

Adacas

• Lieutenant
  • In the Cesar Service!!
Re: Mars Rising - Marian Hegemony V: Barbari ite Domum!
« Reply #960 on: 17 July 2023, 02:58:28 »
The story of the last Sharpell left me a little confused, the Century/Maniple that appears from the II Legio has too little weight being from the Legio to which only two heavy Mechs and one Assault belonged

ArkRoyalRavager

• Major
  • Ravaging the enemies of House Davion
« Reply #961 on: 17 July 2023, 04:02:40 »
That's right. That FWL assault lance should have been facing heavy/assault Maniples.

jimdigris

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #962 on: 17 July 2023, 06:03:57 »
That legion has been in heavy fighting for some time.  The missing mechs may have been destroyed.

Weirdo

• Painter of Borth the Magic Puma
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major General
  • We can do it. We have to.
    • Christina Dickinson Writes
« Reply #963 on: 17 July 2023, 10:12:48 »
Just because the Legion's average weight was that high didn't mean all of their Maniples would be. With very few exceptions, it's safe to assume that even assault-weight formations will still have at least a few lighter groups, for patrol and recon duties. Also, how old is the info describing their weight? Things do change over time, after all.
My wife writes books

Sixteen tons means sixteen suits. CT must be repaired.

"Damn you, Weirdo... Damn you for being right!" - Paul

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #964 on: 17 July 2023, 10:35:43 »
Just because the Legion's average weight was that high didn't mean all of their Maniples would be. With very few exceptions, it's safe to assume that even assault-weight formations will still have at least a few lighter groups, for patrol and recon duties. Also, how old is the info describing their weight? Things do change over time, after all.

Especially when involved in a multi-year grinding campaign.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Martius

• Captain
« Reply #965 on: 17 July 2023, 12:13:24 »
I enjoyed the story and IMO the author chose the 'Mechs involved well. It felt very Marian without falling into the 'all lowtech' trap.

Adacas

• Lieutenant
  • In the Cesar Service!!
« Reply #966 on: 17 July 2023, 16:24:15 »

Field Manual 3145

Adacas

• Lieutenant
  • In the Cesar Service!!
« Reply #967 on: 17 July 2023, 16:26:27 »
I enjoyed the story and IMO the author chose the 'Mechs involved well. It felt very Marian without falling into the 'all lowtech' trap.

If at least that was refreshing that they don't keep putting primitives on the front line

ArkRoyalRavager

• Major
« Reply #968 on: 18 July 2023, 04:10:13 »
That legion has been in heavy fighting for some time.  The missing mechs may have been destroyed.

Didn't stop Tamarind from deploying cutting-edge assault Mechs for their entire lance

jimdigris

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #969 on: 18 July 2023, 07:23:09 »
They have better access to factories and a bigger economy.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #970 on: 18 July 2023, 09:13:53 »
Didn't stop Tamarind from deploying cutting-edge assault Mechs for their entire lance

Cutting edge?  It was a original Albatross IIRC, the Awesome . . . was it a 9Q? 9M?  8Q?  The Neanderthal is a  . . . 15? 20? year old design . . . the Sirocco?  from the 3060s.  So yeah, 'Level 2' designs . . . but considering things like VSPL, advanced armors, and mixed tech are what passes for 'advanced' in 3150.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Weirdo

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major General
« Reply #971 on: 18 July 2023, 09:26:44 »
If at least that was refreshing that they don't keep putting primitives on the front line

That was a disappointment, but we are talking about one of the premiere Legions, so I guess it's understandable.
My wife writes books

Adacas

• Lieutenant
  • In the Cesar Service!!
« Reply #972 on: 18 July 2023, 15:31:50 »
They have better access to factories and a bigger economy.

The Hegemony already has full production of LVL 2 mechs for when the Battle is, likewise no one disputes that the NFWL has more factories and a variety of mechs

jimdigris

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #973 on: 18 July 2023, 16:34:58 »
What heavy and assault mechs does the Hegemony manufacture?

Saint

• Captain
  • Keeper of the Reaper
« Reply #974 on: 18 July 2023, 19:30:32 »
They produce the Emperor at Marian Arms. The rest of their mech production lines are mediums and lights.
"Our eyes lie on Glory, Honor, Strength. Burned worlds will declare our name as cause."

ArkRoyalRavager

• Major
« Reply #975 on: 18 July 2023, 22:57:57 »
Cutting edge?  It was a original Albatross IIRC, the Awesome . . . was it a 9Q? 9M?  8Q?  The Neanderthal is a  . . . 15? 20? year old design . . . the Sirocco?  from the 3060s.  So yeah, 'Level 2' designs . . . but considering things like VSPL, advanced armors, and mixed tech are what passes for 'advanced' in 3150.

If VSPL, advanced armors and mixed tech are "advanced", there would be no need for ERMLs and the like. That story, while having realistic characters, is just another retread of the "evil Orcish Marians losing against outnumbered heroic X faction" theme since the days of Avanti's Angels.

Baldur Mekorig

• Lieutenant
  • Join the Brotherhood, our mechs are cuter!
    • My Facebook
« Reply #976 on: 19 July 2023, 15:21:59 »
What heavy and assault mechs does the Hegemony manufacture?

That we know? The Primitive Emperor, but as the actual productive capacity of the Marians is at best "nebulous", we can infere, taking in count things like the last Withworth fluff, that the Marians are using newer models. The Tamarind are much ahead of the Marians, the Tamarind local productive capacity is not that big, and even with their recent (for the timeline) rejoining with the rest of the FWL, it would take some time to replace and resupply all the units.

As for what Ark says, its something common with the chosen line by TPTB for the Marians, beign the "evil orc" for the FWL/MoC or any other faction. I miss when BT was more grey...
Oh my brother, with your courage we can conquer,
In your sword I put my trust that you will honor
I will be the higher ground should you concede it
And my body be your shield if you should need it.

Adacas

• Lieutenant
  • In the Cesar Service!!
« Reply #977 on: 19 July 2023, 16:47:42 »
That we know? The Primitive Emperor, but as the actual productive capacity of the Marians is at best "nebulous", we can infere, taking in count things like the last Withworth fluff, that the Marians are using newer models. The Tamarind are much ahead of the Marians, the Tamarind local productive capacity is not that big, and even with their recent (for the timeline) rejoining with the rest of the FWL, it would take some time to replace and resupply all the units.

As for what Ark says, its something common with the chosen line by TPTB for the Marians, beign the "evil orc" for the FWL/MoC or any other faction. I miss when BT was more grey...

Amen!

If we go by Withworth's fluff and only that, the Hegemony or rather Marian Arms manufactures 4 medium mechs (Centurion, Withworth, Icarus II and Gladiator) and 1 Assault (Emperor) after having passed all their primitive lines first to Succession Wars technology and then at the end of the decade of the 3130 SL level.
The ATC has been making Commandos and Locust for a long time, at least since 3085, manufacturing all its components locally, we don't know anything else about them, maybe they build some more mechs in Addhara but nothing came out in the Rec Guide so keep waiting
Nothing is known about Hadrian Inc or the Techwizards, so about them as well as ATC Addhara we will have to keep waiting (if the J E Hoover of Addhara came out and what was produced in ATC - Illyria) the rest will have to wait

ArkRoyalRavager

• Major
« Reply #978 on: 20 July 2023, 03:57:50 »

Exactly, Tamarind has also been in a grinding campaign and they have a weak industrial base as well but a false Marik happens to drop in, be the heir and uses his money tree to produce Tamarind reinforcements out of thin air. They even have the forces to spar with the Lyrans and Wolves. That's 3 fronts for a minor nation, 2 of those fronts against a Successor State and a major Clan, even if temporarily weakened.

I miss the grey BT too. Gone are the disciplined and competent Legions under Julius. With an almost non-existent industry and the WoB cutting off their logistics, they still performed impressively against supercharged Circinus and whatever their Blakist buddies cared to throw against the Hegemony.

jimdigris

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #979 on: 20 July 2023, 06:13:03 »
Bear in mind that the Hegemony has also been dealing with Cincinus-area pirates for a long time, as well as insurrections.

Adacas

• Lieutenant
  • In the Cesar Service!!
« Reply #980 on: 20 July 2023, 08:58:29 »
Bear in mind that the Hegemony has also been dealing with Cincinus-area pirates for a long time, as well as insurrections.

Aha, Insurrection that could only succeed by the almighty pen of the writer since they didn't even have a mech and they gave them a Legion because it occurred to them to do so.
If the Marians were half as violent oppressors as the authors sell, the worlds of Lothario should have been repopulated.

And there are more pirates in the Fronc area and they are progressing well there

Baldur Mekorig

• Lieutenant
    • My Facebook
« Reply #981 on: 20 July 2023, 09:02:35 »

And Tamarind the same pirates, in addition to an invasion by the LC in the recent-ish time (3142 was the last time they fought the lyrans in tamarind itself). As for the insurrections, the ones that were mentioned in the fluff were small thing, i think the biggest mentioned 10 old mechs in the rebel hands IIRC.

Edit:
When  word  spread  to  Illyria  in  3128  of  the  death  of  Caesar  Lucian,  a  small  uprising  took  shape  as  nearly  ten  ancient  BattleMechs  were  taken  out  of  hiding  and  used  to  kill  the  planetary governor and his family. Elements of II Legio engaged the rebel  units,  and—despite  being  outnumbered  two  to  one—only  lost a single BattleMech in the engagement.
FM:3145, page 196.

Edit 2:
Its funny that little more than 20 years later, thanks to the tamarinds, one could say that Illyria is now even more pro-Hegemonic, thanks to their actions as occupiers.
« Last Edit: 20 July 2023, 09:16:35 by Baldur Mekorig »

Generalripphook

• Corporal
« Reply #982 on: 20 July 2023, 12:04:30 »
I would really love to see the Marians do well but who would they beat? The FWL just got reformed so I doubt they are going to eat an L. The MOC is on the rise narratively and just beat back the Marians.

So where do they go?

Could the Capelleans try and pull the Marians into an alliance to fight MOC?

Crimson Dynamo

• Lieutenant
  • Opening hearts, minds, and throats since 2807
« Reply #983 on: 20 July 2023, 12:11:05 »
I'll honestly be happy if they make it through to the end of whatever product next covers that region without Isolde wrecking Alphard and/or dictating terms to the Caesar and the MHAF.
"Well, I do, Marcus, and rule number one of the MAC has always been that the man with the plan leads. If we get shot up, I'm the first one to get my ticket punched. There are no flags in the MAC."
"And there never will be," Barton said, nodding his head in agreement.

"You guys are facing a freaking Shadow Division! These guys have strict policies against playing fair!"

"I don’t care. Kill them. I planned the defense so I know it will work. If they claim otherwise, they’re cowards. Any step back is a betrayal of me, and saying they don’t have enough men is just an excuse for incompetence and disloyalty. Tell the Krypteia to do it if you’re too soft but get it done." -Emperor Stefan Ukris Amaris I

Baldur Mekorig

• Lieutenant
    • My Facebook
« Reply #984 on: 20 July 2023, 14:27:30 »
I would really love to see the Marians do well but who would they beat? The FWL just got reformed so I doubt they are going to eat an L. The MOC is on the rise narratively and just beat back the Marians.

So where do they go?

Could the Capelleans try and pull the Marians into an alliance to fight MOC?

First you have to solve the whole "Canopian Righteous clantech Crusade" going for Alphard. Aside that, you still have the Lotharian question, and up "north" the former Circinian worlds, now (the ones that survived the Jihad) full of pirates. Now, if the MOC/Andurien get on the wrong foot of the nuFWL/CC, you can say that the closest MoC worlds are tempting targets.

Weirdo

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major General
« Reply #985 on: 20 July 2023, 14:33:50 »
As long as they don't get an entire service branch stripped away from them while the fans are expected to see it as a good thing, or see the entire faction destroyed in a large part via criminal negligence, I'm happy with any other outcome.
My wife writes books

Adacas

• Lieutenant
  • In the Cesar Service!!
« Reply #986 on: 20 July 2023, 14:43:49 »
As long as they don't get an entire service branch stripped away from them while the fans are expected to see it as a good thing, or see the entire faction destroyed in a large part via criminal negligence, I'm happy with any other outcome.

Branch of service what do you mean primitive mechs? They are antiques that were used in desperate times and will be thinned out for use by Planetary Militias or sold to the Deep Periphery. I don't see any more use for them than that in these times when the enemy comes to you with an entire Regiment of Clan Tech and more Clanners mechs in the other regiments and you have to see the Merc List that has more clanner mechs than any successor state.
The Primitives are turning their page of history

Weirdo

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major General
« Reply #987 on: 20 July 2023, 20:40:58 »
Their use is very clear, for players to have fun running them in games. It's the same use everything else does. Less units means less fun, it's that simple.

That said, I was perhaps being too subtle, as I was trying to say that as long as the horrible fates that befell the Goliath Scorpions and Republic of the Sphere respectively don't befall the Hegemony, I'm happy.
My wife writes books

ArkRoyalRavager

• Major
« Reply #988 on: 21 July 2023, 04:18:13 »
Aha, Insurrection that could only succeed by the almighty pen of the writer since they didn't even have a mech and they gave them a Legion because it occurred to them to do so.
If the Marians were half as violent oppressors as the authors sell, the worlds of Lothario should have been repopulated.

And there are more pirates in the Fronc area and they are progressing well there

That's true. It was ridiculous seeing the veteran post-Jihad Legios lose at Lothario and suddenly call it quits like a football match getting canceled.

ArkRoyalRavager

• Major
« Reply #989 on: 21 July 2023, 04:20:41 »
First you have to solve the whole "Canopian Righteous clantech Crusade" going for Alphard. Aside that, you still have the Lotharian question, and up "north" the former Circinian worlds, now (the ones that survived the Jihad) full of pirates. Now, if the MOC/Andurien get on the wrong foot of the nuFWL/CC, you can say that the closest MoC worlds are tempting targets.

True, there's New St Andrews and they could also keep expanding Coreward and subdue the Rim Territories and other minor nations in that region.