Author Topic: A Fun One For Herb  (Read 1493 times)

pokefan548

• Captain
  • The Barracuda knows where it is, hence the -2 mod.
    • Poke's Aerospace Academy (Discord Server)
A Fun One For Herb
« on: 28 September 2023, 06:40:11 »
Okay, so, this is a not-too-serious question for Herb specifically, but if one were to hypothetically use CalNeb1 to port over some wizard characters from a certain fantasy RPG, and then use AToW's conversion rules to make those characters into a TW-scale wizard platoon (or a pair of wizards to each conventional squad), would magic count as personal or support weapons for the sake of conversion? And am I correct in assuming that they'd act like energy weapons for ammo purposes?
Poke's Aerospace Academy
The best place to learn and discuss AeroTech.

"Poke is just a figment of our imagination really." - Siam
"Poke isn't a real person, he's just an algorithm programmed by CGL to try and get people to try the aerospace rules." - Phantasm
"I want to plant the meat eating trees and the meat growing trees on the same planet! Watch that plant on plant violence!" - Sawtooth
Leviathans: The Great War Backer #224
BattleTech: Mercenaries Backer #23

pokefan548

• Captain
  • The Barracuda knows where it is, hence the -2 mod.
    • Poke's Aerospace Academy (Discord Server)
Re: A Fun One For Herb
« Reply #1 on: 05 October 2023, 19:23:33 »
Had to go through DMs for technical reasons.

For those curious:
I'd probably base the weapon type on spell levels and component costs, with higher level spells (say, Level 4+), spells that require concentration, or spells with hella-costly components (say 100+ gp) becoming "support weapons," while smaller ranged spells with no concentration requirement are "standard weapons," and smaller touch spells are "secondary weapons" that can only be used against same-hex targets.

Magical equipment that mimic these spell effects would fall into the same category.

That's how I'd see it going down, anyway.

- Herb
Poke's Aerospace Academy
The best place to learn and discuss AeroTech.

"Poke is just a figment of our imagination really." - Siam
"Poke isn't a real person, he's just an algorithm programmed by CGL to try and get people to try the aerospace rules." - Phantasm
"I want to plant the meat eating trees and the meat growing trees on the same planet! Watch that plant on plant violence!" - Sawtooth
Leviathans: The Great War Backer #224
BattleTech: Mercenaries Backer #23

DevianID

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: 15 October 2023, 19:48:06 »
Isnt there a formula for converting ammo/limited shot weapons into average damage when going from ATOW ammo limited weapons to battletech platoons?  Thus, if you have a platoon of 'level 5s', you have 2 shots of fireball, so if fireball was your personal weapon it would deal damage/5 or whatever the conversion is for a 2 shot weapon (thinking of the 2 shots OS SRM2).  If fireball was a squad weapon, for a heavy squad with 2 troopers shooting fireball it would be 7 troops with 2 using fireballs and the rest cantrips, so the heavy support weapon fireball would do more damage, but the fireball support weapon has a 'crew' requirement of 3 as the extra troops are 'holding the ammo' aka having the extra spell slots, which lowers the damage of the support weapon in the formula (cause the extra crew are contributing their cantrip personal weapon)

Daryk

• Major General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #3 on: 15 October 2023, 20:18:58 »
It's part of the AToW Companion formula, yes.

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
« Reply #4 on: 21 October 2023, 18:17:55 »
This sounds like an adventure from the Three Galaxies, Rifts.

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

Register