Author Topic: So you want to move a lot of cargo but don't have to leave the system...  (Read 563 times)

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Miss Chitty finds your honor rules quaint.
The thread on terraforming Venus, specifically the part about moving "planetoid levels of material" got me thinking.

I don't think this accomplishes that goal, at least not without a whole lot of them. But it's still the best I could manage as an intrasystem-only cargo carrier. It's able to scoot around the system on station keeping thrust continuously for well over a year, and can carry two point four megatons of cargo for... under a billion C-bills? (I don't know, the costs MML was giving me seemed wonky at times and I didn't feel like doing the calculations by hand). Also, the ship itself only requires less than a hundred thousand tons of materials to build, so it's efficient that way too.

I can't say it would necessarily be good for shipping Venus' atmosphere to Mars or anything like that, but it would probably be great for shipping Post Terraforming Venus' agricultural surpluses to other points in the Terran system.

Beluga Bulk Transport
Mass: 2,500,000 tons
Technology Base: Inner Sphere (Advanced)
Introduced: 2750
Mass: 2,500,000
Battle Value: 57,764
Tech Rating/Availability: E/E-X-E-D
Cost: 831,045,000 C-bills

Fuel: 2,000 tons (5,000)
Safe Thrust: 0
Maximum Thrust: 0
Sail Integrity: N/A
Heat Sinks: 289
Structural Integrity: 1

Armor
    Nose: 550
    Fore Sides: 550/550
    Aft Sides: 550/550
    Aft: 550

Cargo
    Bay 1:  Small Craft (50)        10 Doors 
    Bay 2:  Cargo (2406522.0 tons)  32 Doors 

Ammunition:
   None

Dropship Capacity: 10
Grav Decks: 2 (100 m, 100 m)
Escape Pods: 0
Life Boats: 200
Crew:  91 officers, 454 enlisted/non-rated, 250 bay personnel      

Notes: Mounts 8,250 tons of standard aerospace armor.

Weapons:     Capital Attack Values (Standard)
Arc (Heat) Heat  SRV     MRV     LRV      ERV    Class       
None

Good news is the lab boys say the symptoms of asbestos poisoning show an immediate latency of 44.6 years. So if you're thirty or over you're laughing. Worst case scenario you miss out on a few rounds of canasta, plus you've forwarded the cause of science by three centuries. I punch those numbers into my calculator, it makes a happy face.

(indirect accessory to the) Slayer of Monitors!

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
"Station Keeping" thrust FTW! ;D

idea weenie

• Major
Very nice design, you just have to accept that you will take over three times longer to get to the destination compared to a Dropship burning at 1G.  For non-perishable items, that is not a concern.  Hope the crew packed everything they want on board the station though, as getting resupply will be very difficult.

(transit timeframe is 1/(SQRT(acceleration in Gs) compared to a 1G Dropship)

I could see this being used to deliver a large production run of material from a mining/smelting planet, where Dropships at the Jump Point are filled from the station's cargo.  The Jumpships recharge normally, and the full Dropships are carried away.

Of course this would be used as a base hull for other civilian designs (the 100 kton Batteries would allow recharging a Jumpship easily, adding a 500 kton capacity unpressurized repair yard would only take up 12,500 tons, adding passenger services or hydroponic setups would be done, etc).  So fluff for this could have comments about some cargo areas being strangely shaped due to future expansion capacity.

Retry

• Lieutenant
Cost seems about right.  "Naked" space stations don't cost all that much because the bridge and other such equipment actually have fairly low base cost values, and bulk cargo capacity is nearly free.  They'll only really explode in price when you start putting on expensive gadgets like massed high-end weapons and HPGs, due to their rather high cost multiplier of 5.

Not as high as Dropships though, so they're usually cheaper.  Unless it's a modular space station, which has its own cost multiplier of 10, which makes the overall cost multiplier 50 and thus the highest (iirc) cost multiplier in the game.  At that price it's likely cheaper to build a standard space station and also build a Jumpship/Warship with enough repair bay capacity to hold it, and jump it in that way.
Very nice design, you just have to accept that you will take over three times longer to get to the destination compared to a Dropship burning at 1G.  For non-perishable items, that is not a concern.  Hope the crew packed everything they want on board the station though, as getting resupply will be very difficult.
Resupply shouldn't be all that difficult, at least not compared to conventional Dropships.  There's 50 small craft on that cargo ship which can easily hit 1G, and those should have plenty of capacity and speed to ferry cargo and crew to and from the vessel.  Since they're separate shuttles, you'd be able to do so even without diverting the main vessel off its mission for a supply run, which would be necessary on a Dropship that didn't have small craft bays.

Syzyx

• Warrant Officer
This is brilliant. You can slash around 100M from the price if you reduce the armor to 150 tons. Being a civilian craft I'm not sure it would need such mountainous protection, especially in the heart of the Hegemony.
But as a matter of fact I was quite busy getting potty-trained at the time and had no time for interstellar politics.- ykonoclast

FastConcentrate8

• Master Sergeant
This is brilliant. You can slash around 100M from the price if you reduce the armor to 150 tons. Being a civilian craft I'm not sure it would need such mountainous protection, especially in the heart of the Hegemony.

An argument for having this much armor could be that since these things are largely burning along the Elliptic Disc of a Solar System, they have much greater chances of micro-meteor or large object strikes.

While I don't know if we've ever gotten rules for either, they can easily impart similar damage to large Standard Scale Weapons or Capital Scale Weapons depending on the size of the object and how fast both are moving.

DevianID

• Captain
This honestly is probably something that exists as part of the untold 2100+ space age in battletech.  Like, what else would deploy the mirrors in the terran system to cool the hot inner planets right?

Another take would be, instead of a 2.5 million ton vessel with 2.4 million tons of cargo, a 100,000 ton vessel (which is what this is technically lol), with a tug adaptor and the same class engine.

Some quick fiddling in megamek lab shows you can get a 100k dropship tug, with a 12/18 engine and enough other stuff to function fine.  This gives you .25 thrust with a load of 4.8 million tons.  Good for slowly pushing those nice solid Nickle/iron asteroids in the asteroid belt around to space manufacturing centers.  This dropship is more expensive, as you can launch it from a planet into orbit, while the 'cheaper' space station approach needs to be built in space.  So the dropship version brings you the metal to build the space station, and the space station with its 2.4 million ton internal cargo can slurp up the loose gravelly asteroids that the tug would be unable to push.
« Last Edit: 22 December 2023, 03:23:18 by DevianID »

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Miss Chitty finds your honor rules quaint.
This honestly is probably something that exists as part of the untold 2100+ space age in battletech.  Like, what else would deploy the mirrors in the terran system to cool the hot inner planets right?

Another take would be, instead of a 2.5 million ton vessel with 2.4 million tons of cargo, a 100,000 ton vessel (which is what this is technically lol), with a tug adaptor and the same class engine.

Some quick fiddling in megamek lab shows you can get a 100k dropship tug, with a 12/18 engine and enough other stuff to function fine.  This gives you .25 thrust with a load of 4.8 million tons.  Good for slowly pushing those nice solid Nickle/iron asteroids in the asteroid belt around to space manufacturing centers.  This dropship is more expensive, as you can launch it from a planet into orbit, while the 'cheaper' space station approach needs to be built in space.  So the dropship version brings you the metal to build the space station, and the space station with its 2.4 million ton internal cargo can slurp up the loose gravelly asteroids that the tug would be unable to push.

I dig it.
Good news is the lab boys say the symptoms of asbestos poisoning show an immediate latency of 44.6 years. So if you're thirty or over you're laughing. Worst case scenario you miss out on a few rounds of canasta, plus you've forwarded the cause of science by three centuries. I punch those numbers into my calculator, it makes a happy face.

(indirect accessory to the) Slayer of Monitors!

Register