Author Topic: Arthur Steiner Davion  (Read 19528 times)

Moonsword

• Acutus Gladius
  • Global Moderator
  • Colonel
  • You interrupted me reading TROs for this?
Re: Arthur Steiner Davion
« Reply #90 on: 21 November 2019, 08:27:49 »
===MOD NOTICE===

In general, when you realize it's not thread for a discussion, you probably shouldn't post that discussion in that thread.

This probably isn't the thread for this discussion, but beginning gripe now:

Post that somewhere it's relevant.  This isn't it.

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Fight for something or Die for nothing
    • The Steel-Raven at DeviantArt
« Reply #91 on: 21 November 2019, 13:56:34 »
Right, back to the OP: Arthur is still dead.
Battletech Art and Commissions
http://steel-raven.deviantart.com

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #92 on: 21 November 2019, 13:58:50 »
Probably . . . and very probably by the current timeframe of 3150+ . . . unless he popsicled like Stone or Sunny, but then that raises a question of why he would . . .
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

dgorsman

• Captain
« Reply #93 on: 21 November 2019, 14:06:12 »
Hang on... Stone, OK.  Sun Tzu?  When did that happen?   ???
Think about it.  It's what we do.
- The Society

Thunder LRMs: the gift that keeps on giving.  They're the glitter of the BattleTech universe.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #94 on: 21 November 2019, 14:30:52 »
By Temptations & By War, a MWDA novel by Loren introduced it . . . and showed us the Sunny-pop.  I want to say the ER Wars of the Republic that had the Golden Emperor dropping on the cover dealt with that outcome.  Needless to say, Daoshen has not tried to wake up daddy-dear.
Colt Ward

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #95 on: 21 November 2019, 15:10:58 »
The scene in By Temptation and by War was more or less to show us how the cult of Sun-Tzu continues on well into the Dark Age. Sun-Tzu is now technically immortal as claimed by some after surviving the battles with the Wobbie (which wasn't him actually fight but the truth never gets in the way of good propaganda) While Cryo has been used multiple times in BTU for medical reasons (as the Expanse pointed out, a injured human body doesn't take to micro gravity or zero-g too well) but Stone was the first case that I'm aware of to hop out of the freezer after such a long time. Sunny's cryo chamber may just be a fancy coffin like that of Alexander K for the Clans as Sun-Tzu was already beginning to be seen as a divine figure to his most loyal prior to his 'ascension.'

I can only guess putting Arthur on ice may have been a back up plan for the Wobbies as the outcome of the FedCom civil war was still uncertain. May have even kept him on ice hoping they could use him after they started fighting the Federated Suns, crazy enough to think they could win and would need a puppet leader on New Avalon. In any case, if Arthur even survived, all plans went out the window when the Protectorate started to implode.       

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #96 on: 21 November 2019, 15:46:26 »
Oh yeah, the bit in the book makes it extremely doubtful he could survive waking up.
Colt Ward

Lorcan Nagle

• 75 tons of heavy metal mayhem
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #97 on: 21 November 2019, 16:06:05 »
Plus, Stone was only in cryo for a few years, Sun-Tzu was in there for decades.  The rules for cryo chambers are explicit about how the odds of waking up plummet over long periods of time.
The moderator formerly known as the user formerly known as nenechan

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #98 on: 21 November 2019, 17:46:42 »
Eh, Stone was under for about 15 years when Tucker found him . . . but his method & facility was also a LOT better than Sunny-pop's preservation which happened sometime in the . . . 3080s?  So it puts Sunny-pop around 50+ years when the meatsicle was returned to Sian.
Colt Ward

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #99 on: 21 November 2019, 18:12:56 »
Eh, Stone was under for about 15 years when Tucker found him . . . but his method & facility was also a LOT better than Sunny-pop's preservation which happened sometime in the . . . 3080s?  So it puts Sunny-pop around 50+ years when the meatsicle was returned to Sian.
not to mention Stone was in good health when he went in, while Sun Tzu was mostly dead when he went under. thawing them out after so long would probably put a lot of stress on the body, which Stone would be able to survive better than a nearly dead Sun Tzu.

roosterboy

• Site Maintenance
  • Major
  • J'accuse!
« Reply #100 on: 21 November 2019, 20:40:43 »

STL was popsicled in 3113. And as far as we know he’s still on Liao, guarded by the reborn House Ijori.

abou

• Captain
« Reply #101 on: 22 November 2019, 00:14:24 »
At this rate, I'm hoping the real cause for the blackout will be the frozen head of Walt Disney.

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #102 on: 22 November 2019, 00:34:23 »
At this rate, I'm hoping the real cause for the blackout will be the frozen head of Walt Disney.
:toofunny:

PsihoKekec

• Captain
  • Your spleen, give it to me!
« Reply #103 on: 22 November 2019, 01:41:59 »
It's actually MechNixon.
Shoot first, laugh later.

Crimson Dawn

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #104 on: 22 November 2019, 04:20:43 »

Nastyogre

• Warrant Officer
  • Sons of the Suns, Defend your homes!
« Reply #105 on: 22 November 2019, 09:24:44 »
So, anybody have the funny feeling this is all driving towards 2 things?

1. The opening phrase of the original Mechwarrior game. Between the Fall of the Star League and the Rise of the Heirs of Steiner-Davion, there was an Age of War undreamt of..."    People talked about this years ago here. https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=17063.0

I predict a Steiner-Davion will still become the new "First Lord" though it won't be called that and I doubt it will be of a Star League and I don't think it will be soon. All of the mixing of the lines will come together to create a single individual with a valid claim to ALL the house thrones as well as the IlKhan and probably leadership of Canopus as well.

Some mixing of Vic-Isis kids, Kitsune, Alaric, Sun-Tsu - Naomi's kids. Vic-Isis gives claim to FWL (not FS because of Vic's abdication), Alaric the Clans and he will likely get mixed with a Kerensky for fun. Sun-Tsu and Naomi for Cap Con and Canopus, Kitsune for DC (he IS legit if discredited) and where does the last bit come in? One of two places. Either the really yucky rape of Danai Centrella by Caleb Davion or and I think more likely, Danai and some other Davion to be named. (Jullian probably not, but maybe and maybe... Arthur's kids. Why would that be good? His kids would have the best claim to the Fed Suns. Especially after a nearly failed line from Yvonne. )
Then again maybe not Arthur because one interesting little factoid, Stone never had kids. Would make sense for someone who was blown to pieces. Some pieces might not have worked well enough.

2.  None of that is soon. It is probably down the line for when Catalyst wants to say "Yup there is an end to this. In say 3500 or 4000, a Steiner-Davion does bring peace to the human sphere. Hooray. You now know the end of the story so let's blow up some stuff.

Side prediction.  IlClan will give us a good idea of who Stone is/was. It will come out in the discussions of who takes Terra.
(Which will probably be some bizzarro mix of all the IS clans. Falcons, Ravens, Wolves, Bears and Sea Foxes. Maybe Horses too. I could see at least a Falcon/Wolf mix with maybe one more)

Then we have to fight the birds.

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #106 on: 22 November 2019, 13:11:15 »
I really don't see Arthur having a future impact in the BTU. He had 1 very good story but now is just a fan obsession like Clan Wolverine.

abou

• Captain
« Reply #107 on: 22 November 2019, 14:33:31 »
I really don't see Arthur having a future impact in the BTU. He had 1 very good story but now is just a fan obsession like Clan Wolverine.
Maybe, but the problem is it was too big of a dangling plot thread left. The events for Clan Wolverine happened before the game setting; therefore a lot easier to accept as never being solved.

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #108 on: 22 November 2019, 14:55:06 »
Too big? Everyone in univers has moved on and the Wobbies are defeated. The epilogue in Surrender You're Dream have potential larger implications but has already been written off by many. Yes, it's a plot thread but not the biggest one the entire universe needs.

I'll go as far to say after this much time has passed, re-intriducing Arthur or Arthur based conspiracy would be just bad writing. They had a window to use the character and it has passed.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #109 on: 22 November 2019, 14:57:07 »
Maybe, but the problem is it was too big of a dangling plot thread left. The events for Clan Wolverine happened before the game setting; therefore a lot easier to accept as never being solved.

I don't know. The assassination of Morgan Hask-Davion was also dangled right in front of the audience, then promptly forgotten.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

abou

• Captain
« Reply #110 on: 22 November 2019, 22:11:36 »
You guys are right, but at the same time dedicating a whole epilogue to showing him not dead means there was a pretty big purpose to it. Those books are planned and outlined in advance; therefore it wasn't done on a whim.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #111 on: 22 November 2019, 22:24:55 »
Not saying that they didn't have a plan, just that for whatever reason they decided not to pursue it before the timeline progressed past when it was relevant.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Hellraiser

• Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
« Reply #112 on: 25 November 2019, 00:44:47 »
In terms of characters having dual identities, my own wild theory was that curaitis and Candace liao’s youngest son Quintus were the same person.

Wild theories are fun!

I feel like the ages were wrong for that.

Wasn't Curatis already mid 30's or so by the time we see him based on his description.

That was the impression I got anyway.

Where Quint would be late teens early 20's.
3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

Hellraiser

• Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
« Reply #113 on: 25 November 2019, 00:52:55 »
I could see ASD being used in a Historical product about the fate of the Wobblies if we ever learn what happened to them & who was behind the black out.

Maybe he escaped & ruled over them all as Cyborg-Prince-in-Exile.

Might be an interesting novel in the making to see the planning/execution of the black out from the eyes of the perpetrators.
3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #114 on: 25 November 2019, 11:17:23 »
If it was the Wobbies, we still no nothing about the state of the Home World Clans so I'm not ruling out a Dragoon like clandestine operation to cripple the tainted IS (just a theory after my first one was shot to hell)

All the same, the Wobbies are the only ones who can expand on that epilogue.