Author Topic: The Diamond Shark tank and Sea Fox preserve: Cause somebody has to start it...  (Read 243469 times)

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
I'd be earnestly surprised if the Sharkfoxes are making the Cauldron Born; given JFR's "sixteen Clan omnimechs" in production statement, it strikes me as unlikely that an Omni that was only built in the Homeworlds would suddenly crop up in production in the IS. I'm not ruling it out, I'm just saying that there could be other explanations, such as their coming into a good supply of them.

...with that being said, anyone had any luck in guessing those sixteen, c3081?
Author of BattleCorps stories Grand Theft Agro and Zero Signal

How to Draw MegaMek Icons the Deadborder Way. Over 9000 so far. Determination or madness?

Pa Weasley

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • I am not this cute
Interesting, and off topic. I've got a reasonably confident guess on 15 after a quick look at dates on the MUL.

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
Interesting, and off topic. I've got a reasonably confident guess on 15 after a quick look at dates on the MUL.

I'd be interested to see your guess and how it matches to mine.

How to Draw MegaMek Icons the Deadborder Way. Over 9000 so far. Determination or madness?

Neufeld

• Captain
  • Raven, Lyran, Horse, Capellan, Canopian, Bear
So besides the Ha Otoko, Grendel, Mad Cat Mk.II, Solitaire, and the Whammie IIc, what else do the Sharks produce?

Dasher II, it seems that everyone has repressed that this surat dropping exists *drops a piano on it*.

"Real men and women do not need Terra"
-- Grendel Roberts
"
We will be used to subdue the Capellan Confederation. We will be used to bring the Free Worlds League to heel. We will be used to
hunt bandits and support corrupt rulers and to reinforce the evils of the Inner Sphere that drove our ancestors from it so long ago."
-- Elias Crichell

Pa Weasley

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • I am not this cute
Dasher II, it seems that everyone has repressed that this surat dropping exists *drops a piano on it*.

Yes, yes we have.  #P

Istal_Devalis

• Major
  • Baka! I didnt change my avatar because I like you!
I'd be interested to see your guess and how it matches to mine.
I wouldnt mind seeing the list either.

cold1

• Major
  • Goon
I wouldnt mind seeing the list either.

Thirded
Now ya gots to share

To the patient go the spoils

Pa Weasley

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • I am not this cute
Um, it's by no means official. Just a best guess and has already been tweaked once since confiring with Deadborder.

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
Likewise, my own list has been tweaked since speaking with PW; though in my case, my list is still a mech or two over the sixteen given in FM85

Southern Coyote

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Captain
  • Savage Doesn't Even Begin To Describe It
Well friends, it's Shark week again.

And speaking of Sharks, where do you think the Sharks currently rank among the Spheroid Clans in terms of strength? 

Dropkick

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Warrant Officer
I'm liking the Sharks more and more these days.  As a faction I tended not to give them much consideration but they seem to be the smart ones with an uncanny ability to reimagine themselves into something better and stronger, like the Joan Crawford of Clans.  Anyways I'm excited to see what is instore for them.

Any predictions? 

Bergie

• Warrant Officer
The Foxes of the DA-era are starting to move into a less Gypsy-like group and more planet bound.  I'm expecting either a schism between the two groups (one based on Marik, the other space-bound).  Alternatively, the Foxes might decide that in this time of strife (shattered Republic, FWL in even more flux than before, the formation of the Clan Protectorate, etc) it is time for them to carve out a chunk of space for themselves (beyond the Clan Protectorate, that is. . . ).  This would give them more worlds to their names, and make them more than simply oddly well equipped space vagrants with lots of money/Space Gypsies.
Returns from the Dead to be a Taurian and Shark/Fox Fanboy

roosterboy

• Site Maintenance
  • Major
  • J'accuse!
The Foxes of the DA-era are starting to move into a less Gypsy-like group and more planet bound.

There's no evidence of that. yes, they make up part of the leadership of the Clan Protectorate, but they've had planetbound enclaves and holdings for decades yet still maintain their "space gypsy" lifestyle. Their possessions in the new Free Worlds League are just more opportunities for profit, not a move to a more settled existence.

Dropkick

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Warrant Officer
The number and location of enclaves is what I find so interesting.  Being merchants is also a great cover story and would allow for infiltration of agents for intel gathering.   

The gypsy lifestyle is also a great cover for locating hidden planets and other areas allowing them to stockpile war supplies.  The Sharks lately just scream, "we've got a bigger plart to play in the near future than what most people think."

Bergie

• Warrant Officer
There's no evidence of that. yes, they make up part of the leadership of the Clan Protectorate, but they've had planetbound enclaves and holdings for decades yet still maintain their "space gypsy" lifestyle. Their possessions in the new Free Worlds League are just more opportunities for profit, not a move to a more settled existence.

They are actively "Protecting" a number of ver stationary worlds as part of a ruling polity.  While they may be spacebound, this is a HUGE step towards becoming a more stationary power.  At least one Khanate (or an Aimag, anyway) is now tied to a very specific area of space instead of being "free."  How is this not a move away from Gypsyism?

Neufeld

• Captain
  • Raven, Lyran, Horse, Capellan, Canopian, Bear
I just hope that they become more of a faction and less of a plot device.

"Real men and women do not need Terra"
-- Grendel Roberts
"
We will be used to subdue the Capellan Confederation. We will be used to bring the Free Worlds League to heel. We will be used to
hunt bandits and support corrupt rulers and to reinforce the evils of the Inner Sphere that drove our ancestors from it so long ago."
-- Elias Crichell

Southern Coyote

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Captain
  • Savage Doesn't Even Begin To Describe It
Doubtful.  I'm considering rehoming my Sharks because of how boring they've gotten and practically nothing has been done with them.

roosterboy

• Site Maintenance
  • Major
  • J'accuse!
They are actively "Protecting" a number of ver stationary worlds as part of a ruling polity.  While they may be spacebound, this is a HUGE step towards becoming a more stationary power.  At least one Khanate (or an Aimag, anyway) is now tied to a very specific area of space instead of being "free."  How is this not a move away from Gypsyism?

I don't think it's any more "stationary" than them having Twycross, Itabaiana, Trondheim and Tukayyid. The only difference is that the Clan Protectorate worlds are closer together.

Bergie

• Warrant Officer
Which ties them to a rather small area of space.  Having far flung worlds actually SUPPIRTS a wandering lifestyle, while having a close cluster of worlds they have to protect means they cannot wander.

Ratwedge

• Lieutenant
Which ties them to a rather small area of space.  Having far flung worlds actually SUPPIRTS a wandering lifestyle, while having a close cluster of worlds they have to protect means they cannot wander.

It only ties a small portion of the Sea Foxes down and at worse they can flick some merch off to the Spirit Cats and let them do the heavy lifting. If anything the Clan Protectorate is a sure fire way to circumvent a lot of red-tape when it comes to trading in the FWL as well as have a man or two on the inside working the system. ovKhan Kalasa looks like he is investing political capital (and capital weapons) into the FWL in an attempt for it to pay off in the long run for the Foxes.

If anything I wouldn't be surprised if the Clan Protectorate grows simply because of economic potential instead of military.

Alan Grant

• Captain
You know I really want to love the Diamond Sharks (I already like them, but I mean truly make this my top fav Clan) but I have one major complaint. I love the McKenna class warship and they don't have one.

I mean seriously, the Diamond Sharks don't have the class of warship that features a shark-like fin? I must say, major missed opportunity   :o

I can picture it in my head, its so beautiful <sniff> that McKenna in Diamond Shark fleet colors, sailing across the stars....we'd name it the Nautilus (Karen Nagasawa loved literature, I'm sure she read 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea)....it would be the coolest warship ever!   [drool]
« Last Edit: 24 August 2012, 15:37:18 by Alan Grant »

Foxx Ital

• Captain
  • Still Clanilicious
Potemkinns make for better tranports  O0
Clan Ghost Bear:  We may not like you, but you're not bothering us, so you may exist.
 If your BA tactics can't be described as shenanigans, you're probably doing it wrong. ^-^ -Weirdo
 <Kojak> Yeah, there's definitely a learning curve with BA, But once you learn how to use 'em well they're addictive,heck, just look at what happened to Foxx ;-)
<Steve_Restless> its YOU who I shouldn't underestimate. I could give you a broom handle and I'd find you sitting on top of the enemy stormcrow, smug surat grin on your face

Alan Grant

• Captain
Here's a question. In the Diamond Sharks, if a bloodnamed warrior retires from the warrior caste to some other caste, do they still get to actively sit on the Clan Council, can they still nominate candidates for Trials of Bloodright, and can they serve as the Bloodname House Leader?

Bergie

• Warrant Officer
They are bloodnamed, so yes.

Dropkick

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Warrant Officer
If anything I wouldn't be surprised if the Clan Protectorate grows simply because of economic potential instead of military.

That's what I find so intriguing about the Sharks.  Their approach is so different as compared to the other clans and IMHO puts them in a stronger position.  I may be way off the mark but it just seems as if the Sharks have more potential than the other clans because of their, the other clans,  focus on achieving ilClan by overt military conquest. 

While the Sharks ultimate goal may still be ilClan their grand strategy seems to be saving them from constantly bashing themselves to bits on the IS or another clan.   By focusing on trade the sharks can save the majority of the military assests and build a strong industrial base becoming an economic powerhouse. Not only that but a merchant fleet is the perfect cover for other clandestine affairs.  And since they're clan they can justify any arms as necessary for guarding their merchant fleet.   With a large fleet and a desire to "explore" other markets the sharks may end up finding planets that may make great depots for material and manpower.  So on and so forth.  It's all probably just wishful thinking but it's been my pet theory for a couple of weeks and makes me wanna build up some shark forces.

Alan Grant

• Captain
I wish we knew more about the founder of the Clarke bloodname. When you read FM: WC, that name pops up in several places. Its clear that several Diamond Shark Khans have been Clarkes, and several personalities worth mentioning in the Clan as of FM: WC are Clarkes. Even if not founder information, just more information on its traits, what its known/famous for would be nice.

That bloodname intrigues me, but we just don't have much to go on. When I pick a bloodname/bloodline to go with a Clan trueborn character, I like to know something about its history.

Alan Grant

• Captain
Here's a question, offshoot of the merchant bloodnamed thing.

If bloodnamed that transfer to another caste are allowed to remain on the Clan Council, doesn't that conflict a little with the lower caste leaders? For example, Merchant and former warrior Thomas Clarke, who sits on the Clan Council and has a vote, maybe even leads his bloodname house. Doesn't he wield considerable voting power and influence to push his own agenda, potentially at odds with the Merchant Factor?

roosterboy

• Site Maintenance
  • Major
  • J'accuse!
Bloodnamed warriors who retire to a lower caste do not remain on the Clan Council, which is just for Bloodnamed warriors. If you're not a warrior any longer, you don't get to sit on the Council.

Though I'm unsure how that is handled if the retiree chooses to remain on active reserve status as opposed to inactive status as mention in FM:Wardens, p84.

Alan Grant

• Captain
That would be an interesting roleplaying vantage point. A bloodnamed lower castemen on active reserve status, who gets to sit on the Clan Council and partake in blodname house politics. Take that and couple it with lower caste agenda (aka merchant deal-making). Not unlike how a Cloud Cobra can also be part of a Cloister or even an EcKhan, which provides some additional layers of association.

In my mind, it would also further explain the Clan's reputation as "merchant" warriors. Its not just that their merchant caste is strong, but that the merchants have a strong voice in the Clan Council itself.

But yeah that would muddy the waters a bit. The leaders of the lower castes would have to contend with those individuals, potentially as political allies or enemies.

Mostly just thinking out loud here....

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
Thought Angus kept his bloodname even before he came back to warrior status?

Anyway, Invasion era question . . . we know Barbara Sennet supported the merchant castes making in roads to the Inner Sphere while Ian Hawker had to keep spitting out green feathers in his approach to getting IS territory.

My question is . . . would Sennet have the political power to set up a Shark trading enclave in the Wolf OZ, say somewhere like Kobe?  Or would Hawker try to block it due to keeping his Falcon buddies happy?
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."