Author Topic: Raven Alliance: The Shiny Red Button of Orbital Doom  (Read 127543 times)

Jaim Magnus

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Assisting you and your enemies equally.
Re: Raven Alliance: The Shiny Red Button of Orbital Doom
« Reply #900 on: 23 December 2023, 07:03:12 »
I've been assuming it can. The only quirk it has is low mounted arms.
BattleCorps - Righteous Fury, Sorrow of Eden, Lady of Steel, I Was Lost, Forsaken : Legacy - The Forgotten Places : Shrapnel - Scavenger's Blood : ELH Chronicles - View from the Ground : Shrapnel - It Ends in Fire, Picking the Bones

Ghaz

• Lieutenant
« Reply #901 on: 23 December 2023, 18:41:10 »
All ‘Mechs can torso twist barring any special rules (note tha the ‘No Torso Twist’ quirk was removed from the game via errata).
« Last Edit: 23 December 2023, 18:46:26 by Ghaz »

Known Glitch

• Warrant Officer
  • Why haven't we fixed this yet?
« Reply #902 on: 24 December 2023, 18:32:59 »
All ‘Mechs can torso twist barring any special rules (note tha the ‘No Torso Twist’ quirk was removed from the game via errata).

I've been assuming it can. The only quirk it has is low mounted arms.

Kewl.  Thank you both for replying!

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #903 on: 01 February 2024, 03:26:04 »
Greetings, fellow Clanners!

As part of my plan to build units across factions & eras, I qm looking to use up some of my mini stockpile and do a Clan Snow Raven unit in the Early Republic era - or to be more specific, a Raven Alliance unit.

I am looking at Delta Garrison Galaxy (a paintscheme I'm comfortable approaching). I plan to do a Trinary of 'Mechs plus a Binary of battle armour (including a Star of Sylphs). While I could do this with all Clan designs, I am interested in including some of the Inner Sphere designs available to the Alliance, according to the MUL for the Alliance for that era. As I only have one ASF mini (a lead Corsair), I do not plan to include aerospace assets at this time.

Question: would a Delta Garrison Galaxy - or some other Galaxy - mix Inner Sphere and Clan assets? Would one find both Inner Sphere and Clan designs in the same Trinary, or in the same Star? Would a mix of Inner Sphere and second line designs be more likely in a Trinary, or Star?

For example, I have a Dire Wolf, a Kingfisher, and a Longbow that look like they would play well together, possibly with a Rifleman IIC from the Clans KS. Likely to happen in a single Star?

I can share the list of minis I have in stock for this, if people are interested.

Thanks in advance!
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Natasha Kerensky

• Major
  • Queen of Spades, First Lady of Death, Black Widow
« Reply #904 on: 01 February 2024, 12:31:55 »
Question: would a Delta Garrison Galaxy - or some other Galaxy - mix Inner Sphere and Clan assets?

I’d say definitely for the Ravens and absolutely for Delta.  Characterized as scavengers, the Ravens are supposed to be the least wasteful Clan, so if a touman is going to field Spheroid tech, it’s going to be the Ravens.  And if any galaxy in the Raven touman is going to field Spheroid tech, it’s going to be a garrison galaxy, and that’s Delta.

Depending on timeframe, you may want to use the Clantech versions of Spheroid designs that the Ravens are known for.  I’m thinking Stinger IIC, Merlin C, Charger C, etc.  There’s also the old Invasion Era Cs and their descendants:  Warhammer C, Warhammer C2, Thunderbolt C, Shadow Hawk C, etc.  These can give you a lot of Spheroid and salvage flavor without giving up the Clantech edge.

Would one find both Inner Sphere and Clan designs in the same Trinary, or in the same Star? Would a mix of Inner Sphere and second line designs be more likely in a Trinary, or Star?

I would also assume this is timeframe dependent. 

Immediately after the Ravens escaped the Homeworlds and a savaging by the Star Adders?  They’re probably throwing trinaries and stars together any way they can without regard for mixing omnimechs with standard battlemechs or for mixing tech bases.

Decades later after they’ve established themselves in the Outwords and converted Alliance factories to Clantech?  They’re less likely to mix tech bases and standard/Omni in the same unit, simply because they have the time and resources to straighten any needlessly complex logistics.  You could argue it might still happen in the lowest ranked units that are the last to receive new units like Delta, but by the ilClan Era, the touman would also have had ~60+ years to recover.

Hope this helps.
"Ah, yes.  The belle dame sans merci.  The sweet young thing who will blast your nuts off.  The kitten with a whip.  That mystique?"
"Slavish adherence to formal ritual is a sign that one has nothing better to think about."
"Variety is the spice of battle."
"I've fought in... what... a hundred battles, a thousand battles?  It could be a million as far as I know.  I've fought for anybody who offered a decent contract and a couple who didn't.  And the universe is not much different after all that.  I could go on fighting for another hundred years and it would still look the same."
"I'm in mourning for my life."
"Those who break faith with the Unity shall go down into darkness."

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #905 on: 02 February 2024, 03:28:01 »
Thanks for a well-reasoned response! As the unit will be set in the very early days of the Alliance, the mix of tech types would be expectable.

The only reason I'm not looking at more IS "C" designs, is limiting the unit to a Trinary, not a Cluster ;)
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #906 on: 02 February 2024, 12:08:09 »
Alright, don't kill me now, this is something of weird question.

The Ravens reactivated their mothball fleet, with what?

The OWA has no industrial base, and most of the Snow Raven industrial base got ripped or spaced by the Snake Clans.  Their one, lone shipyard got the Word-of-Blake sponsored makeover, and nobody's been building anything.  They didn't integrate the economy in their territory, so no industrial development there...

Warships are incredibly expensive machines and even the ammunition is complex and expensive to build, never mind the armor plates you're not going to be able to make, transport, or mount on expedition.

and structure?  yeah, they don't have the ability to make that either.

This doesn't even touch on the thousands of kilometers of piping, wiring, data runs, and auxiliary power plants needed to bring a warship up to speed (think "Your heat-sink stat" as explained away via power distribution in some of the canon...)

So...where did they get the stuff to bring those ships up to operating capability, and where are they going to get the spare parts and ammunition to keep them in operation?

It's not like there's even a naval stores location they can raid-nobody else has that stuff either.  (eh, well, maybe the Diamon-I mean Sea Foxes might have some...)

just a little thing niggliung at the back of my mind.

"If you have to ask permission, then it's no longer a Right, it has been turned into a Privilege-something that can be and will be taken from you when convenient."

Maingunnery

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Pirates and C3 masters are on the hitlist
« Reply #907 on: 02 February 2024, 12:42:09 »
Alright, don't kill me now, this is something of weird question.

The Ravens reactivated their mothball fleet, with what?
We had this discussion before concerning jumpShip production, and yes they do have industry.
Herb: "Well, now I guess we'll HAVE to print it. Sounds almost like the apocalypse I've been working for...."

The Society:Fan XTRO & Field Manual
Nebula California: HyperTube Xtreme
Nebula Confederation Ships

Generic Clanner 24601

• Corporal
« Reply #908 on: 05 February 2024, 02:43:49 »
Greetings, fellow Clanners!

As part of my plan to build units across factions & eras, I qm looking to use up some of my mini stockpile and do a Clan Snow Raven unit in the Early Republic era - or to be more specific, a Raven Alliance unit.

I am looking at Delta Garrison Galaxy (a paintscheme I'm comfortable approaching). I plan to do a Trinary of 'Mechs plus a Binary of battle armour (including a Star of Sylphs). While I could do this with all Clan designs, I am interested in including some of the Inner Sphere designs available to the Alliance, according to the MUL for the Alliance for that era. As I only have one ASF mini (a lead Corsair), I do not plan to include aerospace assets at this time.

Question: would a Delta Garrison Galaxy - or some other Galaxy - mix Inner Sphere and Clan assets? Would one find both Inner Sphere and Clan designs in the same Trinary, or in the same Star? Would a mix of Inner Sphere and second line designs be more likely in a Trinary, or Star?

For example, I have a Dire Wolf, a Kingfisher, and a Longbow that look like they would play well together, possibly with a Rifleman IIC from the Clans KS. Likely to happen in a single Star?

I can share the list of minis I have in stock for this, if people are interested.

Thanks in advance!

In the Recognition Guide 8, under the Devil blurb, it is mentioned that the Raven prejudices against non-Omnimechs has largely dissipated. So, at least Battlemechs and Omnimechs wouldn't be unusual to see in the same unit. Though there is no mention about if their view of Inner Sphere mechs has changed as well.

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #909 on: 05 February 2024, 12:01:30 »
We had this discussion before concerning jumpShip production, and yes they do have industry.

Industry requires resources, resources in turn require resource extraction, resource prospecting, etc. etc.  etc., it also requires skilled labor in large amounts, especially for something like a Warship (that takes the GDP of several major worlds to construct per the devs)...and the OWA doesn't have that kind of GDP-and neither do the Snow Ravens.

They didn't integrate their economy which means the Snow Ravens have been running "Just in time Production" with no slack (Clan Economics doesn't produce surpluses by DESIGN), so there's no slack or convertible industries to keep their warships in fighting trim.

you feel me here??  They mothballed those boats because they couldn't maintain them, and the Yard's a mess-they can't replace one if they lose it, unless Quatre Belle's been fully restored and everyone's gotten a hell of a lot more efficient at mining and processing...which would require, playing the game of numbers, the Ravens to actually participate in the OWA economy-which it's been declared they don't.

Are they buying from the Diamond Sharks?  Using up their savings?  the map doesn't add any reclaimed colonies so they're not expanding that way.

I have this dreadful feeling Sterling McKenna's making a tactical choice that is a strategic blunder here by rolling out a fleet she really can't afford to keep running.
« Last Edit: 05 February 2024, 12:05:55 by Cannonshop »
"If you have to ask permission, then it's no longer a Right, it has been turned into a Privilege-something that can be and will be taken from you when convenient."

Maingunnery

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #910 on: 05 February 2024, 12:34:24 »
Industry requires resources, resources in turn require resource extraction, resource prospecting, etc. etc.  etc., it also requires skilled labor in large amounts, especially for something like a Warship (that takes the GDP of several major worlds to construct per the devs)...and the OWA doesn't have that kind of GDP-and neither do the Snow Ravens.

They didn't integrate their economy which means the Snow Ravens have been running "Just in time Production" with no slack (Clan Economics doesn't produce surpluses by DESIGN), so there's no slack or convertible industries to keep their warships in fighting trim.

you feel me here??  They mothballed those boats because they couldn't maintain them, and the Yard's a mess-they can't replace one if they lose it, unless Quatre Belle's been fully restored and everyone's gotten a hell of a lot more efficient at mining and processing...which would require, playing the game of numbers, the Ravens to actually participate in the OWA economy
Their industry has been producing widely for decades (yes even JumpShips), that chain of assumptions has no weight to it, as the outputs of their economy already indicate a pretty good recovery.

-which it's been declared they don't.
Source?
Herb: "Well, now I guess we'll HAVE to print it. Sounds almost like the apocalypse I've been working for...."

tassa_kay

• Major
  • Karianna Schmitt has no time for your headcanon.
    • My Facebook page!
« Reply #911 on: 05 February 2024, 13:45:30 »
Source?

FM:3145. Cannonshop’s assumptions are actually built on established facts here. The Ravens’ reactivation of their fleet (with all of their attendant DropShips and an ASF force the size of the rest of their touman AND the AMC combined) has placed a severe strain on the Alliance’s economy. They’ve also been unable to revitalize or grow their touman because of the cost of reactivating their fleet. They also aren’t able to pay the Outworlds corporations to do the needed work to help because they can’t secure the funds. Also, large sections of the Quatre Belle and Mitchella shipyards were mothballed because the locals simply can’t afford to do business with the Ravens. This is all directly stated in FM:3145.
« Last Edit: 05 February 2024, 13:47:41 by tassa_kay »
"Social media made y'all way too comfortable with disrespecting people and not getting punched in the face for it." - Mike Tyson

My Personal Units: Thuggee Warrior House Nagah (Capellan Confederation), 29th Blood Drinkers (Clan Blood Spirit), Nightmare Galaxy (Clan Hell's Horses), 1st Raven Rook Cluster (Raven Alliance)
Favorite Factions: Capellan Confederation • Clan Blood Spirit • Clan Smoke Jaguar • Clan Hell's Horses • Raven Alliance • Fronc Reaches • Rim Worlds Republic • Magistracy of Canopus
Favorite Characters: Malvina Hazen • Kali Liao • Katherine Steiner-Davion • Anastasia Kerensky • Danai Liao-Centrella • Karianna Schmitt • Lady Death • Tara Campbell • Katana Tormark
Favorite Units: The Golden Ordun • Wolf Hunters • 1st Horde Cluster • 1st Rasalhague Bears • Thuggee Warrior Houses • Hikage • Raptor Keshik • Kara's Scorchers • 1st Star Sentinels

Maingunnery

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #912 on: 05 February 2024, 16:55:53 »
FM:3145. Cannonshop’s assumptions are actually built on established facts here. The Ravens’ reactivation of their fleet (with all of their attendant DropShips and an ASF force the size of the rest of their touman AND the AMC combined) has placed a severe strain on the Alliance’s economy. They’ve also been unable to revitalize or grow their touman because of the cost of reactivating their fleet. They also aren’t able to pay the Outworlds corporations to do the needed work to help because they can’t secure the funds. Also, large sections of the Quatre Belle and Mitchella shipyards were mothballed because the locals simply can’t afford to do business with the Ravens. This is all directly stated in FM:3145.
Well the only way that makes sense is a complete and utter incompetence of the Merchant Caste. The infrastructure is all there and they seem unable to sell the most desired products of the era.

Minemech

• Captain
« Reply #913 on: 05 February 2024, 17:24:10 »
 The Outworlds Alliance was never an industrial power. You just might find more heavy industry on individual systems within a random Successor State during the 3rd than the entirety of the Alliance at its height.

Maingunnery

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #914 on: 05 February 2024, 17:35:25 »
The Outworlds Alliance was never an industrial power. You just might find more heavy industry on individual systems within a random Successor State during the 3rd than the entirety of the Alliance at its height.
That literally does not actually matter, the text indicates that the various industries were running just fine before, however the problem arose after local demand was mostly met and they didn't sufficiently scale up exports.

tassa_kay

• Major
    • My Facebook page!
« Reply #915 on: 05 February 2024, 17:43:05 »
Well the only way that makes sense is a complete and utter incompetence of the Merchant Caste. The infrastructure is all there and they seem unable to sell the most desired products of the era.

What most desired products? In the Pax Republica, there was a pretty sharp drawdown of military spending across the Inner Sphere (even in the Clans, per “Flight of the Falcon”), and the Alliance doesn’t really have that much else to offer. And the fact that the Raven and Outworlds economies never merged certainly didn’t help matters much, either. Then there’s the fact that the Ravens’ presence certainly hasn’t helped relations with their neighbors (especially the Combine), and the OWA relied on their neutrality for their economy vis a vis those neighbors. Makes perfect sense to me that the Alliance economy faltered in such a climate, and why they’re struggling just to keep up now.
« Last Edit: 05 February 2024, 17:45:37 by tassa_kay »
"Social media made y'all way too comfortable with disrespecting people and not getting punched in the face for it." - Mike Tyson

My Personal Units: Thuggee Warrior House Nagah (Capellan Confederation), 29th Blood Drinkers (Clan Blood Spirit), Nightmare Galaxy (Clan Hell's Horses), 1st Raven Rook Cluster (Raven Alliance)
Favorite Factions: Capellan Confederation • Clan Blood Spirit • Clan Smoke Jaguar • Clan Hell's Horses • Raven Alliance • Fronc Reaches • Rim Worlds Republic • Magistracy of Canopus
Favorite Characters: Malvina Hazen • Kali Liao • Katherine Steiner-Davion • Anastasia Kerensky • Danai Liao-Centrella • Karianna Schmitt • Lady Death • Tara Campbell • Katana Tormark
Favorite Units: The Golden Ordun • Wolf Hunters • 1st Horde Cluster • 1st Rasalhague Bears • Thuggee Warrior Houses • Hikage • Raptor Keshik • Kara's Scorchers • 1st Star Sentinels

Maingunnery

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #916 on: 05 February 2024, 18:23:26 »
What most desired products? In the Pax Republica, there was a pretty sharp drawdown of military spending across the Inner Sphere (even in the Clans, per “Flight of the Falcon”), and the Alliance doesn’t really have that much else to offer. And the fact that the Raven and Outworlds economies never merged certainly didn’t help matters much, either. Then there’s the fact that the Ravens’ presence certainly hasn’t helped relations with their neighbors (especially the Combine), and the OWA relied on their neutrality for their economy vis a vis those neighbors. Makes perfect sense to me that the Alliance economy faltered in such a climate, and why they’re struggling just to keep up now.
Has there ever been a lack of demand for JumpShip or DropShips during that whole time? No, in fact demand should have skyrocketed after the blackout. Also the DC is not that important just look at the export list of the Gossamer VTOL, plenty of others that are willing to buy. The issue is likely: what was the RA willing to sell?

Minemech

• Captain
« Reply #917 on: 05 February 2024, 18:24:43 »
That literally does not actually matter, the text indicates that the various industries were running just fine before, however the problem arose after local demand was mostly met and they didn't sufficiently scale up exports.
Local demand is not really a thing for them. There is only one system that has anything resembling industrialization while the rest export raw materials and food. Industry is meant to serve agriculture and mining, not build from it. There were a few stray weapons manufacturers, but they were exceptional exceptions. 

tassa_kay

• Major
    • My Facebook page!
« Reply #918 on: 05 February 2024, 18:36:38 »
Has there ever been a lack of demand for JumpShip or DropShips during that whole time? No, in fact demand should have skyrocketed after the blackout.

And again, per FM:3145, their shipyards were largely mothballed during the post-Jihad era and were only getting by on government subsidies. They’re still struggling to catch up, and the Ravens are prioritizing the reactivation of their fleet over everything else. Demand doesn’t matter when the supply isn’t there.

Also the DC is not that important just look at the export list of the Gossamer VTOL, plenty of others that are willing to buy. The issue is likely: what was the RA willing to sell?

The Combine is very important to the Outworlds economy and always has been; it’s the primary reason why the Combine hadn’t conquered them (before the Ravens showed up). The Ravens have been consistently belligerent towards the Combine, and since they’re the ones in charge now, it makes sense to me that the Alliance economy has suffered as a result.

As for the Gossamer, it wasn’t built for export; the Foxes acquired the design from the Ravens (on the condition they don’t sell to the Combine) and they’re the ones making money from its sales. We’ve only really seen the Ravens stepping up their exports in recent years (like the Blood Asp in the RecGuides), and it’s not like that’s a magical overnight solution to their economic woes, especially given the fact that, again, due to their separate economies, the Ravens haven’t been able to pay the Outworlds corporations for their own demands.
« Last Edit: 05 February 2024, 18:55:00 by tassa_kay »

Maingunnery

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #919 on: 05 February 2024, 19:03:23 »
And again, their shipyards were largely mothballed during the post-Jihad era, and were only getting by on government subsidies. They’re still struggling to catch up.
Those shipyards had been brought up to a state in which they could manufacture JumpShips, the only way I could see them not being profitable if there is an export ban.

The Combine is very important to the Outworlds economy and always has been; it’s the primary reason why the Combine hadn’t conquered them (before the Ravens showed up).
Then what is normally traded then?

As for the Gossamer, it wasn’t built for export; the Foxes acquired the design from the Ravens (on the condition they don’t sell to the Combine) and they’re the ones making money from its sales.
The Foxes do not get it for free:
" The Raven merchant caste saw enough potential in the Gossamer to broker an export agreement with Clan Sea Fox, leaving the
Alliance to produce the Gossamer and the Foxes to distribute it. "

tassa_kay

• Major
    • My Facebook page!
« Reply #920 on: 05 February 2024, 19:11:44 »
Those shipyards had been brought up to a state in which they could manufacture JumpShips

Yes… and then those yards were largely mothballed.

Then what is normally traded then?

The biggest example: aerospace fighters. UOC benefited greatly from its sales to the Combine. Obviously that’s not happening anymore with the Ravens in charge.

The Foxes do not get it for free:
" The Raven merchant caste saw enough potential in the Gossamer to broker an export agreement with Clan Sea Fox, leaving the
Alliance to produce the Gossamer and the Foxes to distribute it. "

Gossamer sales aren’t going to be nearly enough to keep the Alliance economy afloat, much less help it actually grow.
« Last Edit: 05 February 2024, 19:21:45 by tassa_kay »

Maingunnery

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #921 on: 05 February 2024, 19:23:59 »
Yes… and then those yards were largely mothballed.
Which does not make any economic sense, unless there was an export ban on certain items. Because even then the demand for new JS was very high and after the Blackout that only went up.

The biggest example: aerospace fighters. Obviously that’s not happening anymore with the Ravens in charge.
Plenty of other customers. The DC was only just one of many possible trading partners.

Gossamer sales aren’t going to be nearly enough to keep the Alliance economy afloat, much less help it actually grow.
I never claimed that, please review earlier posts.

Gribbly

• Sergeant
« Reply #922 on: 05 February 2024, 19:24:37 »
There's no justification for the Raven's having any particular industrial problems at this point outside of unimaginative writing and reverse plot armour.

The Clan homeworlds had a population of around 1.2 billion in 3060, inhabiting hostile worlds with sparse natural resources. The Ravens have been in the Outworlds Alliance for eighty years, which has a population over four hundred million and a treasure trove of mineral wealth and rural agrarian worlds. Not to mention the spinward adjacent region three times the size filled with previously colonised worlds.

If we're expected to swallow the Clans' Golden Century taking place in impoverished hovels after the devastation of the Pentagon War, Second Exodus and then Klondike, then the Ravens shouldn't just be weak scavengers in 3152. Compared with Clan Wolf repeatedly being destroyed then immediately growing back to 'normal' it's laughable.

tassa_kay

• Major
    • My Facebook page!
« Reply #923 on: 05 February 2024, 19:27:19 »
Which does not make any economic sense, unless there was an export ban on certain items. Because even then the demand for new JS was very high and after the Blackout that only went up.

Whether or not it makes sense to you isn’t really relevant. The fact remains that this is all, in fact, canon.

Plenty of other customers. The DC was only just one of many possible trading partners.

Hypothetical and irrelevant besides. There’s no indication that the Alliance ever sought out a replacement trading partner.

I never claimed that, please review earlier posts.

I never said you did, please review earlier posts.

tassa_kay

• Major
    • My Facebook page!
« Reply #924 on: 05 February 2024, 19:30:29 »
There's no justification for the Raven's having any particular industrial problems at this point outside of unimaginative writing and reverse plot armour.

Sure there is: the Outworlders aren’t a part of their Clan and aren’t taking payment in Clan work credits, and the Ravens haven’t made any real effort to integrate their economies and can’t simply order the Outworlders to do the work because it risks their social cohesion.

The writing has highlighted on numerous occasions that the union of the Snow Ravens and the Outworlds, two extremely different societies, has been far from perfect, and yet we still see shocked-pikachu-face when there are actual consequences of that fact.

I swear, any time a faction doesn’t behave with 100% optimal efficiency and make the bestest decisions ever, despite the fact that we see this happening in the real world throughout all of recorded history, people gripe about it.
« Last Edit: 05 February 2024, 19:42:17 by tassa_kay »

Gribbly

• Sergeant
« Reply #925 on: 05 February 2024, 19:42:55 »
Sure there is: the Outworlders aren’t a part of their Clan and aren’t taking payment in Clan work credits, and the Ravens haven’t made any real effort to integrate their economies and can’t simply order the Outworlders to do the work because it risks their social cohesion.

The Ravens in 3070 are stronger than any Clan just after Klondike. Add eighty years of growth on mineral and water rich worlds, which should be considerably less constrained than the 'Golden Century'.

The Ravens are 'small' because it's a cliche.

Minemech

• Captain
« Reply #926 on: 05 February 2024, 19:44:26 »
 The Outworlders have a different cultural mentality than other states. All of the Battletech states do, but the OWA were known as the "Space Amish" amongst the fanbase for decades with reason. All slogans may be reductionist, but still they contain a kernel of truth.

tassa_kay

• Major
    • My Facebook page!
« Reply #927 on: 05 February 2024, 19:46:49 »
The Ravens in 3070 are stronger than any Clan just after Klondike. Add eighty years of growth on mineral and water rich worlds, which should be considerably less constrained than the 'Golden Century'.

You’re kind of ignoring the elephant in the room here: the Outworlders are not a part of the Ravens’ civilian castes. They can’t just order the Outworlders to do things like they can their own civilians and pay them in Clan work credits. They have their own economy that’s almost completely separate from the Ravens. That was never the case in the Homeworlds. Your entire point is undercut by this fact.
« Last Edit: 05 February 2024, 19:49:39 by tassa_kay »

Maingunnery

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #928 on: 05 February 2024, 20:23:30 »
Whether or not it makes sense to you isn’t really relevant. The fact remains that this is all, in fact, canon.
My argument is about why it occurred, not if it occurred. And the only logical reasons left are export bad/limits. 

Hypothetical and irrelevant besides. There’s no indication that the Alliance ever sought out a replacement trading partner.
The Dc was never exceptional, the Alliance just tried to keep equal trade balance between the FS and DC (equal influence), which is not relevant anymore. And there are plenty of buyers of what the RA does allow to be sold.

Decoy

• Captain
« Reply #929 on: 05 February 2024, 20:31:11 »
The Combine isn't buying. The FedSuns isn't buying. So, who IS buying?
"I invented (the drink) PPCs in a time before the internet showed me the depth of human stupidity."-Michael Stackpole.

Register