Author Topic: If you where part of Battletech Universe...  (Read 17931 times)

Saurok

• Sergeant
If you where part of Battletech Universe...
« on: 03 February 2011, 15:39:17 »
... what kind of character would you be?
And please overdo it a little. If you have military training, or if you are just good at Mech sims (MechWarrior series) use those traits to come up with
Battletech equivalent you.

Let see... I'm from Finland. I've got my military training as a Sissi and I have over 10 years of experience with MechWarrior games.
I would propably be some Wasp, Stinger or Phoenix Hawk pilotting MechWarrior from Free Rasalhague Republic during 4th Succession War/Clan Invasion. Most likely assigned to recon lance.

« Last Edit: 04 February 2011, 01:48:01 by Saurok »

Daishi411

• Captain
Re: If you where part of Battletech Universe...
« Reply #1 on: 03 February 2011, 16:04:38 »
my background would suggest i come from coventry. my mother's side of the family has always been 'well to do' as they say, and my grand father was a general in the military. given that i have absolutely no military training, instead a classical education, i could see my character being a wealthy noble that plays the politics of the nation. i may have a mech just for fun, but really i just ride on the laurels of my ancestors and do as much as humanly possible.
"Warriors, not war machines, are the backbone of the Hell's Horses. While others worship the BattleMech as the ultimate weapon, the men and women of this Clan see even this awesome piece of technology as the tool it is. We have held to this philosophy since the days of our first Khan, who knew that the value of the common soldier far outstripped the brute force of the BattleMech. It is one reason our Clan possesses fewer mechs than most, and has led many to underestimate our fierceness and courage. Our survival against all challengers when others have fallen proves the folly of such arrogance, and testifies to the wisdom of our founders."
- saKhan Tanya Delaurel
Star Captain Logan Cobb-666th Assault War Cluster, Star Commander Octavian-The Thunder Heart Cluster

IndyRI

• Lieutenant
  • Is it really still snowing?
« Reply #2 on: 03 February 2011, 16:07:37 »
I would likely have a relatively poor upbringing, originally from the Marik segment of the FWL. I'd have grown up on a moderately populated world, the son of hardworking parents working as mechanics and technicians for the local populace. As I got older, I would develop a wanderlust and leave my homeworld for the excitement of the military. Years as a wise-cracking infantryman would hopefully lead me into a career in Battle Armor.
HEIRS OF AMARIS - An AU Setting for Classic Battletech

Come and see. Comments welcome.
http://www.classicbattletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=757.msg15033

Battlemech Designs Galore
http://www.classicbattletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=840.0

ahnospell44

« Reply #3 on: 03 February 2011, 16:23:52 »
I would have come up as a computer technician working on the programming for the consoles that run the 'mech, with dreams of forever piloting them. My darker life though would be led between worlds as an international hacker, working under the table for whomever was the highest bidder needing my services for anything from stealing design information to removing whole HPG networks.

JPArbiter

• Captain
  • Podcasting Monkey
    • Arbitration Studios, your last word in battletech talk
« Reply #4 on: 03 February 2011, 16:48:36 »
my personal real life background (going as far back as the 1600s) indicates British and German ancestory.  if that continued into the 31st century I would be a FedCom brat, probably civilian and most likely working the finnancial sector.

I am sure a well funded company could make a killing insuring Jumpships against military "aquisitions" as well as civilian and military life products.
Host of Arbitration, your last word in Battletech Talk

Dirk Bastion

• Sergeant
  • It's Battle Armor, honestly!
« Reply #5 on: 03 February 2011, 16:57:38 »
A computer technician or mid-level bureocrat somewhere in Lyran space.
Can't say I would be happy about this, I don't like the Lyrans at all.

Kit deSummersville

• Precentor of Lies
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • The epicness continues!
    • Insights and Complaints on Twitter
« Reply #6 on: 03 February 2011, 17:05:57 »
If?
 ^-^
Looking for an official answer? Check the Catalyst Interaction Forums.

Freelancer for hire, not an official CGL or IMR representative.

Everyone else's job is easy, so tell them how to do it, everyone loves that!

Millard Fillmore's favorite BattleTech writer.

target_destroyed

• Corporal
  • BOOM - Headshot!
« Reply #7 on: 03 February 2011, 17:09:23 »
Well I'm a genetically engineered super-being, so I guess I'd be a part of the Clans.  ;)
Star Captain Aaron Hazen - Trinary Bravo
9th Talon Cluster, Jade Falcon (Gamma) Galaxy

We are Crusaders and will trample all who stand in our way!

Lord Harlock

• Captain
  • Watching from the Shadows
« Reply #8 on: 03 February 2011, 17:11:08 »
Probably going from my background with Anglo-Franco-Germanic roots, I'd be probably a FedSuns since there were germans before the Lyran Commonwealth mixing. Probably a worthless son of a second rate Baron till I did something interesting.

Either that or a dead pirate considering my last name.  ;D

Drufause

• Master Sergeant
  • We were never here.
« Reply #9 on: 03 February 2011, 17:12:22 »
I would probably be working for General Motors.  Doing repair and customization of mechs.
Combat Command Counters Thread
http://www.classicbattletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=191.0
quote by OgreBattle on 09/08/2011
"Knowledge and social skills usually use separate attributes, and often when you're good at one you take the other as your dump stat."

ShadowRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #10 on: 03 February 2011, 17:14:30 »
I have a diagnosed mental disability, A creative streak that tends to result in me telling/writeing stories to entertain myself to the point that I can almost imagine myself in those stories when writieng

Does that mean I'm the Chancellor of the CapCon?
We are Clan Snow Raven. Masters of the void, and reapers of your souls

befriend (v.): to use mecha-class beam weaponry to inflict grievous bodily harm on a target in the process of proving the validity of your belief system.
— From a post on rpg.net

HuronWarrior

• Sergeant
« Reply #11 on: 03 February 2011, 17:17:46 »
Hmmm.....

I would grow up in an old ComStar family on Terra, just down the road from the birthplace of the Blessed Blake. As a result, I'd be inclined to his teachings.
My father and brother, members of the Com Guard, would fight on Tukayyid against the Clans. I'd be too young at the time to join up. My brother would be missing, presumed dead, in the aftermath of the battle. My father would hold a hatred of the Clans.
When the schism occured, I would follow my father into exile on Gibson, as he'd dislike Focht murdering the head of our organization and seizing power.

I'd grow older and join the Word of Blake Militia as a mechwarrior, fighting in the liberation of Terra, and later join a garrison division fighting to improve the lives of the abandoned peoples of the Chaos March against pirates and House raiders. Meeting a nice girl, a fellow Blakist, I would marry and have kids, raising them with teachings of Jerome Blake.
I would be proud that the Star League is reborn, and the Inner Sphere is concentrating on the threat of the Clans. I'd be prouder when the Word, acknowledged for all its humanitarian good, is granted membership.

And then I'd be mighty pissed when the Houses killed mankind's last chance for peace (no, not Babylon 5) and redemption a second time.
Perhaps a Precentor by then, I would join in the war to force the prideful and arrogant Houses back to the path of righteousness and redemption. Through luck and skill, I'd survive a multitude of campaigns against multiple Successor States. I'd see horrors committed on both sides, and be forced to deploy tactical nuclear weapons against House strongholds in order to preserve the lives of the men and women under my command.
Through it all, I'd remember the good that will come when mankind is reunited and the arrogant House Lords see the error of their ways. I'd remember we are Humanity's best hope, and Terra's sacred warriors. I'd sent messages home, telling my family that we will do everything to keep Terra safe.

When the war began to turn, I would cling to that hope, sometimes desperately. As the Clans turned on us, I would begin to feel the noose tightening, as the enemies of progress began to unite against Terra.
The sight of new volunteers, younger and younger, but their hearts still tied to cause of the Blessed Blake would make me feel both old and yet hopeful. Hopeful that we warriors of Blake may yet safeguard the Protectorate.
Our successful counterattack at Dyev would restore spirits, but things would get worse.

Finally pulling back to Terra, I would brace for the inevitable. As the invaders stormed Terra, I would fight, and lament as most of my division was picked apart by the overwhelming numbers of the heretics and traitors to mankind.
I would feel anger at the coalition for its targeting of Mother Earth. As our numbers dwindled, and defeat became imminent, I would resign myself with the knowledge we did our best. Such criminals and monsters will gain nothing from defeating us, except to usher in a Dark Age under their tyrant Stone.

But death would not find me in the battlefields of Terra. Wounded, my command shot up and scattered, I would be captured by the coalition. Nursed back to health, I would anticipate being identified as a commander who authorized the use of nuclear weapons. Surely a different end would await me. But luck - or the Blessings of Blake - would see a raid on the coalition base by Blakist soldiers allow me a chance to escape.
With the Word destroyed, records wiped out, and Terra under occupation, I would make my way back to my family, to retire into obscurity.
No pension. No money. Nothing except the knowledge we tried out best, and the joy my family survived the coalition's brutal attack on sacred Terra.

Finding a job, I would go along with my life, and see how Stone's Age unfolded.

Azeroth

• Corporal
« Reply #12 on: 03 February 2011, 17:38:58 »
I'd be Victor Davion, only taller with the Mech skills of Kai Allard Liao.

Decoy

• Captain
« Reply #13 on: 03 February 2011, 17:41:35 »
The fun of having a common last name.

For the canon reference of my former screen name here, and the results of that article in Dawn of the Jihad, I would've been Silas Kufahl's personal tech.....who was then hurt and/or killed for sending the Khan's Savage Coyote down for maintenance  at the wrong time. Kufahl wound up fighting the duel in a Gargoyle.

If being "good at mechwarrior" means anything, I would probably be a second line star commander or a "Hereditary" Lance Commander. Meaning that I would either inherit it or put 15 years in with some low level merc unit and then wind up in charge when the previous Lieutenant moves on. As for Battlemechs, I would pilot something cheap, yet durable. I'd hope a Thunder Fox or something like that.

Humansquish

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #14 on: 03 February 2011, 17:43:27 »
I would be assigned a Blitzkrieg in the FWL. First battle I would No0b rush and then die.  :D
"Oh no. They've made FASAfizzicks in reality. We're doomed."-Dread Moores

RAE

• Sergeant
  • Capellan Confederation: Deadly Stylish
« Reply #15 on: 03 February 2011, 17:52:20 »
I probably would be a scion of a wealthy Tikonov merchant family, who escaped the Davion invasion of 3028 and became a scholar at the Sian University.

"Everything falls if it gets hit hard enough. I'll just have to make sure it don't get up again"
- Marcus Barton, Colonel, 2nd MAC

Fnord

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #16 on: 03 February 2011, 18:10:18 »
I'm a soon to be civil engineer with a chemistry focus, so I would probably be forced to create new & explosive weapons for the armies to use. Being a pacifist in real life, I would probably be less than happy about my posting.

Sigma

• Captain
  • N-scale Fanatic
« Reply #17 on: 03 February 2011, 18:32:26 »
Being a geologist with a family in America back about 200 years before there was USA, I would probably be one of the dudes working for Interstellar Expeditions and getting sent off to survey planets god knows where.

Either that or get hired as a freelancer on some Explorer Corps ship.

However my personal quest would be to scrape together enough cash to fund a small expedition into the Kerensky Cluster to follow the trail of the elusive and immortal Mike Stackpole after his escape into Clan Space during Operation Scorpion.

Archilochus

• Recruit
« Reply #18 on: 03 February 2011, 18:49:47 »
hmm....based on the career/life track.  I end up in a reasonably well to do family of Italian ancestry - let's say on Summer in the Lyran Commonwealth, go to a decent university and spend my life traveling from world to world, helping nonnative speakers to hone their abilities to communicate in the interstellar language of business and education: Star League Standard English.

topcat

• Corporal
  • Blake save us from combined yawns... err, arms!
« Reply #19 on: 03 February 2011, 19:21:03 »
... what kind of character would you be?  And please overdo it a little. If you have military training, or if you are just good at Mech sims (MechWarrior series) use those traits to come up with Battletech equivalent you.

Umm... probably a local politician?  Scared to death of all the crazy war stuff, just wanting to know whose flag I need to fly in the front lawn.

Fear Factory

• Major
  • Designing the Enemy
« Reply #20 on: 03 February 2011, 19:43:53 »
Clan?  Wherever they damn well put me.

Otherwise I'm a Library Clerk... getting what I need to be an actual librarian.  I would be doing that... or would join the Explorer Corps.
The conflict is pure - The truth devised - The future secured - The enemy designed
Maj. Isaac "Litany" Van Houten, Lone Wolves, The Former 66th "Litany Against Fear" Company

Doug Glendower

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Captain
  • I really am bad at letting go.
« Reply #21 on: 03 February 2011, 19:51:35 »
Some tech in the 32nd Lyran Guard.

Hawkeye Jim

• Captain
  • I'm small but sneaky
« Reply #22 on: 03 February 2011, 19:55:40 »
My Grandad was in the Army. 7 of his 8 sons served in the military. some of his grandchildren served in the military. Since we're mostly English with some German mixed in, I'd likely have served in the Lyran military. Since mytraining is in accounting, I'd probably be a retired quartermaster officer, hopefully with a large nest egg built up......

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Miss Chitty finds your honor rules quaint.
« Reply #23 on: 03 February 2011, 20:17:18 »
31 year old ne'er-do-well living on the northwest portion of the North American continent too obvious?  ;D
Good news is the lab boys say the symptoms of asbestos poisoning show an immediate latency of 44.6 years. So if you're thirty or over you're laughing. Worst case scenario you miss out on a few rounds of canasta, plus you've forwarded the cause of science by three centuries. I punch those numbers into my calculator, it makes a happy face.

(indirect accessory to the) Slayer of Monitors!

Saint

• Captain
  • Keeper of the Reaper
« Reply #24 on: 03 February 2011, 20:44:58 »
Lets see I come from a large family with a tradition of civil and military service, English, French, and German ansestry, and have played endless hours of Btech and Mech warrior.

Most likely I'd be in the Fed Suns piloting a medium mech like a Watchman in some March Militia unit. [drool]
"Our eyes lie on Glory, Honor, Strength. Burned worlds will declare our name as cause."

M-Rex

• Lieutenant
  • In Ferro, Veritas.
« Reply #25 on: 03 February 2011, 21:19:08 »
ilKahn.

Because I'm right.

"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered his last round...

"Carrying stuff may be a sign of improper utilization of your minions." - 'Freelance Writer' Paul

Bowman

• Sergeant
« Reply #26 on: 03 February 2011, 21:44:14 »
I'd be a poor boy from Broken Wheel, who wound up enlisting in the AFFS. After only a few years and meager training, I would wind up disillusioned and instead try my luck with a mercenary group. My exlpertise, due to Fed Com preference for medium mechs would be the Centurion.

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Fight for something or Die for nothing
    • The Steel-Raven at DeviantArt
« Reply #27 on: 03 February 2011, 22:05:05 »
American of the typical German/Irish heritage, probably end up growing up in the Skye March. Tired of watching friends die at each other hands and having my own loyalties question, I head to Solaris 7.
Battletech Art and Commissions
http://steel-raven.deviantart.com

cray

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • How's it sit? Pretty cunning, don't you think?
« Reply #28 on: 03 February 2011, 22:08:28 »
... what kind of character would you be?

One of those billions of nondescript engineers/scientists/college types who have a decent income, live on a decent planet (Mizar or El Dorado, I'd hope), and live an ordinary life, except when the "Cray" sign is flashed on the compunet forums and I have to virtually venture forth to slay catgirls. Maybe in that life I'd have a nice trust fund to inherit, so I could work no more than part time until I was 40 and live the remaining 80 years of my life in modest debauchery.

I gave up hoping to be an astronaut-rock star-mechwarrior-brain surgeon like Buckaroo Banzai when I was pretty young. ;)
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

**"A man walks down the street in that hat, people know he's not afraid of anything." --Wash, Firefly.
**"Well, the first class name [for pocket WarShips]: 'Ship with delusions of grandeur that is going to evaporate 3.1 seconds after coming into NPPC range' tended to cause morale problems...." --Korzon77
**"Describe the Clans." "Imagine an entire civilization built out of 80’s Ric Flairs, Hulk Hogans, & Macho Man Randy Savages ruling over an entire labor force with Einstein Level Intelligence." --Jake Mikolaitis

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.

Pa Weasley

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • I am not this cute
« Reply #29 on: 03 February 2011, 22:46:40 »
Hmm, if I were to go with the trend of actual last names and careers (or at least education) I'd likely be someplace in the Lyran space having the time of my life picking through rocks.

While no means "me", I got attached to this guy when I was writing bios of the command star of my cluster a while back. You could do worse than a deranged Clan warrior. Of course some think they're all deranged anyway.  ;)

Name: Arthur Nova Cat (Devalis Bloodhouse)
Preferred Mech: Huntsman

Arthur was among the first generation of warrior born after Clan Nova Cat's Abjurment. The sibparents raising Arthur and his sibkin took great pains to ensure the Clan's traditions were ingrained in these young minds, fearful they might be lost much like contact with the homeworlds. The result is a young warrior slavishly clings to Nova Cat mysticism and ritual. Outside of a 'mech he feels incapable of making major decisions without at least attempting a vision quest. Arthur's torso and arms are slowing being covered with interweaving glyphs, portraits, and landscapes both fantastic and hellish. All are drawn from the visions and his grasping for answers.

Fortunately for Arthur's career and codex he excels at the Nova Cat tradition of fine marksmanship with a laser. Part natural talent part obsessive training he frequently wins in "friendly" competitions within the cluster, the closest he comes to a past time. Emboldened by his protective tattoos and sharp shooting prowess is a powerful force on the battlefield. While most Clan warriors dream of rank and bloodname, Arthur fights for nothing less than the restoration of Clan Nova Cat's former glory.

Johnny 'NKH' Leyland

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #30 on: 03 February 2011, 22:56:07 »
Davion born. My Mechwarrior 4 'sim' skills would get me a combat placement. With my attitude though I doubt I'd last long in any of the House militaries, so maybe I'd be a corporate test pilot or Solaris jock.

Ending up in the Clans wouldn't be so bad. I'm sure I'd be kept busy enough that I wouldn't have time to miss all the amenities and entertainments of 21st century Terran life. The Clans are tough but they're fair, so I could roll with that.

OverKill

• Lieutenant
  • Marauder MAD-3D "Guan-Yu"
« Reply #31 on: 03 February 2011, 23:06:10 »
I suppose I would be a FedCom since my original history is British/Welsh (I'm a 1st Generation Canadian though).

In the real world I have the following assets that would pertain to the Btech universe
- military training (3 years, CDN Forces, Infantry)
- computer skills (web design, basic tech assembly etc, trouble shooting etc.)
- Police Foundations / Law and Security (diploma from college)
- Business Administration (diploma from college)
- Pre-Service Firefighter (certification from college)

I suppose I would make a great addition to a merc unit or a House Guard unit of some kind? I dunno.
Colonel Mason Grimm
Grimm Reaper Company (Grimm's Reapers)
Piloting: Marauder MAD-3D - Guan-Yu
We are the things you see out of the corner of your eye!

SulliMike23

• Lieutenant
  • The Brotherhood will expand in the Inner Sphere!
« Reply #32 on: 03 February 2011, 23:08:10 »
I'd either be a Davion soldier fighting against Cappies or Dracs or a Star Adder Mechwarrior going though his trial of bloodright.

greywolf79

• Lieutenant
« Reply #33 on: 03 February 2011, 23:14:04 »
I would more than likely have been born in Lyran or Federated Suns territory, raised on an industrialized world, and educated in the best of the public schools... I would study hard in order to get a job at the closest mech production facility. I would start out as a low level technical worker (probably an assembly line tech, putting bolts D,E,F into module T for the current model of machine being produced). After a year or so I would work my way up to a crew chief and then probably move onto doing warranty repairs and what not. Once I had mastered as much as I could of how to repair the machines, I would want to learn to pilot them. So I would take as many courses on how to pilot a mech as possible (even if just an online class) and then probably switch jobs over to a lot tech (parking the mechs in their storage units).

With my luck, just as I was getting to really be able to move them around the docks - the nearest enemy (probably a Draconis Combine or Liao) raiding party would hit the facility in hopes of taking the plant or at least its inventory. I would pilot the machine I am most comfortable in (probably something along the lines of an Enforcer/Zeus/Banshee/Atlas into battle against the enemy... I might not be the best but I would survive... Then failing a promotion and sizable pay raise, I would then leave employ there and move on to being a mercenary. Hopefully I would end up being able to buy that rusty old Merlin 1A that needs some repairs and fix it up to take into battle.
GreyWolf.

ckosacranoid

• Lieutenant
« Reply #34 on: 03 February 2011, 23:57:14 »
my charater is by the time the end of word of blank is hios 80's running a outdated merc unit that has been out contact for some time from its last job. he runns his own unit that recirts from the local prison. the only merc unit to be based on crimianls and the newest mech would be a bersker in the unit. most of the tech is still 3025 and the commander still pilots a shadowhawk.

and this has to wonder what the hell are we going to due with some dude named stoner anyway?

Critias

• Freelance Writer
  • Private
« Reply #35 on: 04 February 2011, 00:12:09 »
At present?  I'd be working on postgraduate work at the New Avalon Institute of Science, studying Military History (and boy, would there be a lot to study in Battletech).

In a few years, hopefully?  I'd be an instructor at the New Avalon Institute of Science, teaching Military History (instead).   ;)
This message brought to you by Mountain Wolf BattleMechs (tm).

Stormlion1

• Colonel
  • Apparently Im a rare survivor of the 1st!
« Reply #36 on: 04 February 2011, 01:14:17 »
I'd be doing my best to serve the Federated Suns in their war against the WoB and the Capellan Confederation, hopefully as a mechwarrior in the 1st FedSuns Lancers.
I don't set an example for others. I make examples of them.

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #37 on: 04 February 2011, 01:35:28 »
I would be...

...a hack writer who works on "hisotrical" fiction about battlemechs, having been decalred unfit for military service.
Author of BattleCorps stories Grand Theft Agro and Zero Signal

How to Draw MegaMek Icons the Deadborder Way. Over 9000 so far. Determination or madness?

Nibs

• Captain
« Reply #38 on: 04 February 2011, 03:19:06 »
Maybe a botanist on a distant planet, with no real contribution to the Battletech universe until one of you fires at PPC at my apartment building.  >:(

Diablo48

• Major
« Reply #39 on: 04 February 2011, 04:55:04 »
Considering my mixed heritage, mechanical engineering and physics education, and the fact that my parents are both electrical engineers I think I easily fall into the clan scientist caste which works fine for me because I like interesting design problems more or less regardless of what they are.

While no means "me", I got attached to this guy when I was writing bios of the command star of my cluster a while back. You could do worse than a deranged Clan warrior. Of course some think they're all deranged anyway.  ;)

Of course we are, normal people are no fun. :D

View my design musings or request your own custom ride here.

Demos

• Captain
« Reply #40 on: 04 February 2011, 05:26:46 »
Born in the Lyran Commonwealth I dreamed to become a MechWarrior, but ended in the Tank Corps.
After finishing my military service I'm now in the business, playing MechSims at home and watching the 'Immortal Warrior'.
I'd be fascinated by a SciFi-universe, playing part in the 69th century with Neo-Riomans and "flying" tanks, which outclass the current BattleMechs.
Now I was asked, if I where part of the 'Renegade Legion' Universe - wait...!
"WoB - Seekers of Serenity, Protectors of Human Purity, Enforcers of Blake's Will!"

Centurion03

• Master Sergeant
  • Jacta Alea Est - The Die is Cast
    • South African Wargamer
« Reply #41 on: 04 February 2011, 05:59:35 »
Well I am a South African with German, Dutch and French ancestors (More German and Dutch), so I would probably have been
born somewhere in the Lyran Commonwealth, probably in the region of New Capetown.

Seeing as how both my Grandfather (Commanded a Sherman Platoon in WW2) and my Father served in the Military I would end
up going to the Royal New Capetown Military Academy. I would do middling well, and get assigned to the Donegal Guards.
I would probably be assigned a Wolfhound (I don't really like Assault Battlemechs) and never rise higher than Hauptman for not
being a "True" Lyran Mechwarrior.

I would then very possible end up on Coventry along with Doc Trevana in the Coventry CPM, and if I survive the 3058 Push by the Falcons join up with
Victor and go off on Bulldog or Serpent.

Hmmm, I could make this work as Fic Piece...   
« Last Edit: 04 February 2011, 06:16:57 by Centurion03 »

LastChanceCav

• Captain
  • Repossessing the dispossessed ...
« Reply #42 on: 04 February 2011, 08:25:13 »
Deeply embedded in the Clan Scientist conspiracy to take over. Not sure if I'd rather be designing mechs or mechwarriors.  As my taste for customization goes I would probably prefer for the former, as my IRL skills and education go, the latter might be more likely.

Cheers,
LCC
Last Chance Engineering - Bespoke Battlemechs for the refined gentleperson.

Top Sergeant

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major
  • Swamp Angels Mercenary Regiment
« Reply #43 on: 04 February 2011, 08:26:30 »
Training and leading Lyran infantry to infuriate and defeat our enemies.
We hear that there are tumults and riots in Rome, and that voices are raised concerning the army and the quality of our soldiers. Make haste to reassure us that you love and support us as we love and support you, for if we find that we have left our bones to bleach in these sands in vain, then beware the fury of the legions.

Klep

• Captain
« Reply #44 on: 07 February 2011, 11:49:04 »
One of those billions of nondescript engineers/scientists/college types who have a decent income, live on a decent planet (Mizar or El Dorado, I'd hope), and live an ordinary life, except when the "Cray" sign is flashed on the compunet forums and I have to virtually venture forth to slay catgirls. Maybe in that life I'd have a nice trust fund to inherit, so I could work no more than part time until I was 40 and live the remaining 80 years of my life in modest debauchery.

I gave up hoping to be an astronaut-rock star-mechwarrior-brain surgeon like Buckaroo Banzai when I was pretty young. ;)
Basically this.  Except "Klep" sign instead of "Cray" sign.

vindicator

• Recruit
  • Vindicator
« Reply #45 on: 07 February 2011, 12:12:21 »
A little bit of my family history on my Dads side of the family my grandfather served in the Scots guards and when my Dads family moved from Scotland to Canada he joined the Navy Cadets and when he was old enough joined the Canadian reserves so there is some military background on my dad’s side. On my Mother’s side her family owned a small tool and die shop

so If I was born in the battletech universe I would have to say I was born on Norhtwind since my family still has strong ties to Scotland although I do consider myself a very proud Canadian. I would be born to a family on the higher end of the middle class scale and if I did join the army I don’t know if my grades would allow me to become a Mechwarrior I would properly  be stuck as a technician with my family training in the tool and die industry. After years of being a technician and working my backside off i think I could pull the grades necessary to become a mechwarior in the highlanders as part of a recon lance.
Vindicator
Odin Munro - Kingston Rangers

Stormcrow

• Major
  • Art by Shimmering Sword
« Reply #46 on: 07 February 2011, 12:21:37 »
Given my German and Norse roots, I'd definitely be in the LyrCom somewhere, mory from a world on the than likely a world on the FWL border. If in the military I would in the Quartermaster Corps or working with the Norns in LIC.
Commandant Otto Maurus, ARWH-1Z ArcHammer, Maurus' Minutemen
Captain Obadiah Sykes, OSR-5FCR Ostroc, Second Filtvelt Citizens Militia

I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand. - Confucius
Noli Timure Messorem
May God defend me from my friends; I can defend myself from my enemies. - Voltaire
Wielder of the Ferro-Carbide Bat of DOOM™

Free lance

• Private
« Reply #47 on: 07 February 2011, 12:49:37 »
I would have been the perfect of perfecture IV. Cause I am pretty much the greatest. j/k

I probably would have ended up following Stone and served in so I could gain citizenship. Having worked in the Ag industry since college I would have been a prime canidate to run an argomech. I would like to think that I would have gone to one of the warrior colleges but maybe not. Hopefully at the fall of the HPG I would have been drawn into service as a conversion pilot or maybe even a full mechwarrior.
Dirty work is the best kind!
Sure I'll take your side, for the right price.

SethsMatches

• Master Sergeant
  • Never Give In!
« Reply #48 on: 07 February 2011, 17:29:43 »
While not intending to enter the Lyran military would probably grow to like it once drafted for military service and after showing an aptitude for "daring and uncoventional" tactics (If my Mechwarrior play style is anything to go by) and after being posted to the Lyran Regulars work hard enough to be considered to join the 26th Lyran Guards who appear to favour similar "Hammer and Anvil" tactics :D
« Last Edit: 07 February 2011, 17:47:17 by SethsMatches »
"Man shouldn't have to live by carbohydrates alone, complex or otherwise." - Spike Spiegal

Charlie Tango

• Moderator Emeritus
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • I'm feeling a little sketchy...
« Reply #49 on: 07 February 2011, 17:58:34 »

Having come from somewhere that is the equivalent of the rural backwaters of the Lyran Commonwealth, and with my background and predilections, I likely would have ended up working for Comstar.  However, I don't know whether I would have stayed with Comstar or gone with Word of Blake...
"This is a war universe. War all the time. That is its nature.
There may be other universes based on all sorts of other principles, but ours seems to be based on war and games."

-- William S. Burroughs

Kendo

• Sergeant
« Reply #50 on: 07 February 2011, 18:39:29 »
I'd be a medical professional in the canopian space trying to make as much money working as few hours as possible.

Top Sergeant

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major
  • Swamp Angels Mercenary Regiment
« Reply #51 on: 07 February 2011, 18:51:23 »
I'd be a medical professional in the canopian space trying to make as much money working as few hours as possible.

You may be the smartest one here.  ;)
We hear that there are tumults and riots in Rome, and that voices are raised concerning the army and the quality of our soldiers. Make haste to reassure us that you love and support us as we love and support you, for if we find that we have left our bones to bleach in these sands in vain, then beware the fury of the legions.

greatsarcasmo

• Fabricator General
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Ordo Scriptorum
« Reply #52 on: 07 February 2011, 18:56:12 »
My family would have ended up on a nice Hegemony world. That then became the Chaos March.   I would have probably joined the WOBbies for a chance for my world to reclaim "greatness" and kick the "Great" houses in the teeth. I like to tinker and am mechanically inclined so I would probably become a vehicle mechanic.
Maker of big things.

Demon55

• Captain
  • Planning wisely.
« Reply #53 on: 07 February 2011, 19:14:08 »
My family is of german heritage.  My father was a senior officer in the USAF.  I am a fairly well educated young man who would like to join the military, but does not like the idea of having to give up so much independence.

I would probably say I would be a disillusioned Lyran (renounced citizenship) to join a merc unit as a mechwarrior, tanker, or other support personnel.

gooseman

• CDT Miniatures XO
  • Global Moderator
  • Major
« Reply #54 on: 07 February 2011, 19:16:18 »
Ever heard of Hanse Davion? That's me.  ;)
Daoshen Liao: Wrong! Xavier! What is best in life?
Xavier McCarron: To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of their women.

Star Captain Fiachain

• Private
« Reply #55 on: 07 February 2011, 21:45:57 »
Since my last name is a bloodline in the Cloud Cobras I would probably be a member of that Clan.  Also, I recieved military-esque training as a kid but never joined the military, so I could say I'm a washed out Cloud Cobra trueborn, that went on to a technician or science caste job designing the 'Mechs I once hoped to pilot.

- Formerly Star Colonel Amani Pryde.  Star Colonel Amani Pryde died a warrior's death defending Ironhold.

Star Captain Fiachain of the Buhallin Bloodline
Supernova - Trinary Delta, Jade Falcon Guards,
Gamma Galaxy, Clan Jade Falcon

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Fight for something or Die for nothing
    • The Steel-Raven at DeviantArt
« Reply #56 on: 07 February 2011, 22:37:42 »
Ever heard of Hanse Davion? That's me.  ;)
Bounty Hunter, nice to meet you.
Battletech Art and Commissions
http://steel-raven.deviantart.com

Drop Bear

• Lieutenant
« Reply #57 on: 08 February 2011, 01:11:28 »
OK My Paternal Bloodline has 230 years of Military service to the Administration of the Continent of Australia and longer to the British empire and Kingdom of Scotland before that and almost as long with my Maternal Bloodline, so Fed-Suns. I have 3.5 years of credits in a 6 year Conflict Studies degree, I have Diplomas is IT, Logistics & Business. I'm ok at MW Computer games but Rock at Mech Commander, C&C and a like, once upon a time I could rate Expert on the Range and a couple of times scored around 70% in the Shooting House and on the Combat Range. Today I work as a Night Cleaner in a lower level position with management I've never meet and a supervisor who couldn't find her own ass with Detailed Pre-K level Instructions and Expert Assistance spending my time fixing up what Day Crew have missed and trying to correct the Maf ups of the Halfwits, Misanthropes and Brain Donors who work the other part of the Shift Cycle or sub my regular shifts when I'm pulled of them to fix something that has gone wrong elsewhere.

so after stints in both Infantry and Mech Corps spending way too much time at HQ working Q, G2, G3 & G6 where my Practical Field skills atrophied, till a failed an Active Duty Fit-Rep when I would have Mustered out to the Revs and gone to work for the Fed Suns Defence Planing Agency where I spend most of my waking hours cleaning up other peoples messes.

Zentard

• Private
  • "Sit up straight" is the best advice I ever got.
« Reply #58 on: 08 February 2011, 02:57:20 »
I'm a detached loner most of the time.  I make true lifelong friends who I never call.  I've never had any combat training (besides a little Tae Kwon Do) but I know that being a soldier is the only job I would ever be any good at.  I can feel it in my bones.  But I'll never be a soldier.

Anyway, if I could have my pick of any role, only slightly based on my real life...

My family line would originate from Davion, but I would make my way to Kurita around 3022 and seek employment with Wolf's Dragoons.  I would be a Marauder MAD-3D pilot, and a damn good one.  Cool headed, and reliable.  The shutdown override in my Marauder would likely be worn of all paint.

I would settle comfortably into an assault lance.  Participating in deep strikes into the Davion border.  My familiarity with some of the Davion tactics would help me to keep my head above water.

Much later on down the road, assuming I survived, I would switch out my MAD-3D for a MAD-5D.  Only I would insist on having the Streak SRM stripped out in favor of extra heat sinks.  As I have a penchant for running my 'Mechs hot, I would consider those SRM rounds to be an unnecessary hazard.  With those extra heat sinks I would squeeze every inch of performance out of that MAD-5D.  I'd make that baby dance.

StCptMara

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Looking for new Adder skin boots
« Reply #59 on: 08 February 2011, 04:09:10 »
If we are assuming based on ourselves?

Intelligence Analyst.....for SAFE
"Victory or Debt!"- The Battlecry of Mercenaries everywhere

"Greetings, Mechwarrior! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against---Oops, wrong universe" - Unknown SLDF Recruiter

Reality and Battletech go hand in hand like a drug induced hallucination and engineering a fusion reactor ;-)

David CGB

• Lieutenant
« Reply #60 on: 08 February 2011, 05:16:00 »
an aerospace pilot for House Davion piloting a sparrowhawk
Federated Suns fan forever, Ghost Bear Fan since 1992, and as a Ghost Bear David Bekker star captain (in an Alt TL Loremaster)

Rorke

• Captain
  • Absolute Shower
« Reply #61 on: 08 February 2011, 08:48:39 »
Missing my home on Bristol, but doing my best for the AFFS with my trusty Guillotine D.

Haha nice on the MAD 5D.  I used to roll around with one just like that, logical and frankly vicious mod of a Marauder.
"you come at the king you best not miss" Omar Little

Register