Author Topic: Idea :Could we make an interactive map of Battletech players ?  (Read 17427 times)

Bad_Syntax

• Lieutenant
    • Battletech Engineer
Re: Idea :Could we make an interactive map of Battletech players ?
« Reply #60 on: 02 February 2011, 21:16:09 »
Put in a registration verification process that weeds out undesirables.  Something like a questionnaire that has a few questions based on the chosen game system(s) of applicants.  Don't make them multiple choice but a couple word answer from a quote for a rulebook or something.

That could be acceptable, I could do my own captca and make you identify one of the unseen mechs or something, though that would restrict the database to BT players only.  A bit more time to implement it though.

I guess instead of a username or email you could put in a CBT forum name, but I really think that would alienate a lot of players.  I'm sure there are lots of people who never come here, and lots more who never actually post messages or even have an account and just read messages.

I'm trying to fix up a dynamic hex map control in .NET now, its nearly complete so maybe I'll work on this later... in a few days.
Battletech Engineer
Disclaimer:  Anything I post here, or anywhere else, can freely be used by anybody, anywhere, for any purposes without any compenstation to or recognition of myself.

PeripheryPirate

• Warrant Officer
  • Your friendly neighborhood Periphery pirate!
« Reply #61 on: 02 February 2011, 23:22:15 »
I guess instead of a username or email you could put in a CBT forum name, but I really think that would alienate a lot of players.  I'm sure there are lots of people who never come here, and lots more who never actually post messages or even have an account and just read messages.

And, let's be honest, those same people would probably never use the app either.

Stormlion1

• Colonel
  • Apparently Im a rare survivor of the 1st!
« Reply #62 on: 03 February 2011, 00:12:06 »
Alls it really needs is a arrow for general location an a e-mail address, anything more and you get into privacy issues.
I don't set an example for others. I make examples of them.

mbear

• Stood Far Back When The Gravitas Was Handed Out
  • Major
    • Tower of Jade
« Reply #63 on: 03 February 2011, 10:11:56 »
That could be acceptable, I could do my own captca and make you identify one of the unseen mechs or something, though that would restrict the database to BT players only.  A bit more time to implement it though.
Couldn't you just use reCAPTCHA instead of rolling your own? I mean I understand the desire to do so, but why not save yourself some time by re-using an existing system that works?
Be the Loremaster:

Battletech transport rules take a very feline approach to moving troops in a combat zone: If they fits, they ships.

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your BT experience. Now what? (Thanks Sartis!)

Bad_Syntax

• Lieutenant
    • Battletech Engineer
« Reply #64 on: 03 February 2011, 14:12:23 »
Couldn't you just use reCAPTCHA instead of rolling your own? I mean I understand the desire to do so, but why not save yourself some time by re-using an existing system that works?

WOW, that is *AWESOME*.  I've never liked captcha stuff personally, they are getting hard for *humans* to read!  But that one, once I read and learned each phrase helps to actually OCR really old books, is an *awesome* idea.  Thanks for the link, never realized there was something creative coming out of those, or more specifically that particular one.

Just for that I'll take a look at writing something this weekend.  It'll be a simple no-frills page with no SQL back end, and I'd be happy to send it to anybody else who wants to host it (it'll be ASP.NET and use a text file with the player list).  It'd be awesome to have it on the classicbattletech.com site, but I kinda doubt that'll happen with recent attacks ;)
Battletech Engineer
Disclaimer:  Anything I post here, or anywhere else, can freely be used by anybody, anywhere, for any purposes without any compenstation to or recognition of myself.

Revanche

• Warrant Officer
  • Fanah’s Fangs (formerly of the Talitha Division)
« Reply #65 on: 04 February 2011, 01:21:22 »
Nic Jansma of Sarna.net might be open to hosting.

Mostro Joe

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #66 on: 06 February 2011, 16:26:29 »
A lot of ideas for an inziiative I don't know if it will be worth so many buzz.

Bad_Syntax

• Lieutenant
    • Battletech Engineer
« Reply #67 on: 06 February 2011, 17:30:44 »
Well I spent a couple hours on it.  I'm using the google API to get the lat/lng for your address, and saving it.  I implemented the recaptcha, which I didn't initially realize was google or I probably wouldn't have committed to doing it (google is pretty darned evil, regardless of their motto).

Anyway, here is the URL, it may be the ugliest web page ever designed (outside of geocities and facebook)
http://www.cooltexan.com/PlayerFinder

Put in an address, zip code, state, whatever and it'll find it just as it would in google maps.  Your address is best and most accurate, but if your worried about privacy just a zip code is fine.

the "add new user" link asks you for a nickname, an email address, your physical address (again it can be just a zip), and the games you play.  It then uses recapcha to make sure your human.

Anyway, I think its easy enough to figure out.  No pretty google map, I didn't see it really being that useful other than pretty, and its obvious I don't care about pretty :)

I probably should have had the captcha on the search page too, but I only list the emails as hyperlinks and I am not adding this page to search engines so it should be pretty safe.

Anyway, if anybody wants to code to add css, or do whatever they want, let me know, I *suck* with presentation :(
Battletech Engineer

House Davie Merc

• Lieutenant
« Reply #68 on: 06 February 2011, 18:11:00 »
Well I spent a couple hours on it.  I'm using the google API to get the lat/lng for your address, and saving it.  I implemented the recaptcha, which I didn't initially realize was google or I probably wouldn't have committed to doing it (google is pretty darned evil, regardless of their motto).

Anyway, here is the URL, it may be the ugliest web page ever designed (outside of geocities and facebook)
http://www.cooltexan.com/PlayerFinder

Put in an address, zip code, state, whatever and it'll find it just as it would in google maps.  Your address is best and most accurate, but if your worried about privacy just a zip code is fine.

the "add new user" link asks you for a nickname, an email address, your physical address (again it can be just a zip), and the games you play.  It then uses recapcha to make sure your human.

Anyway, I think its easy enough to figure out.  No pretty google map, I didn't see it really being that useful other than pretty, and its obvious I don't care about pretty :)

I probably should have had the captcha on the search page too, but I only list the emails as hyperlinks and I am not adding this page to search engines so it should be pretty safe.

Anyway, if anybody wants to code to add css, or do whatever they want, let me know, I *suck* with presentation :(
Thanks for your efforts.

I tried your link but didn't enter my Email address or my living address.

Just my name on this site ,zip code,and the word battletech for the last question .

The next screen says "Server error in '/PlayerFinder'  Apllication  " .
An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.

I've tried it several times and got the same result .

If the problem is that you have to enter your actual Email address for it to work you won't get many
people on there after the forums just got hacked.

Ice_Trey

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Warrant Officer
« Reply #69 on: 06 February 2011, 18:24:45 »
I don't mind the idea of a player map, but what I would prefer is if it didn't give exact locations on a map.

Because while it would be handy to have some sort of contact information to gather, I wouldn't want to be giving out my address and phone number haphazardly. Not even so much the creepers out there, but that I've had bad experiences with companies taking my name from resume sites and sending me unsolicited ads for male enhancement pills

Stormlion1

• Colonel
« Reply #70 on: 06 February 2011, 18:37:56 »
Tried the link, but it didn't go anywhere.

Bad_Syntax

• Lieutenant
    • Battletech Engineer
« Reply #71 on: 06 February 2011, 18:50:15 »
I forgot that I had a domain here, so when *I* was testing it knew it was me.  I think I fixed it :)

I agree about the whole security thing, unfortunately I *have* to have people give their email address.  I don't have passwords, and again you can just put in your zip or the street you are on without an actual numbers, if maps.google.com can find you, my app can. 

I highly suggest just using a zip code, unless you live in a REALLY large zip code it'll be good enough.  The only thing I save locally is your nickname, an email, and your lat/long.
Battletech Engineer

House Davie Merc

• Lieutenant
« Reply #72 on: 06 February 2011, 18:55:51 »
I forgot that I had a domain here, so when *I* was testing it knew it was me.  I think I fixed it :)

I agree about the whole security thing, unfortunately I *have* to have people give their email address.  I don't have passwords, and again you can just put in your zip or the street you are on without an actual numbers, if maps.google.com can find you, my app can. 

I highly suggest just using a zip code, unless you live in a REALLY large zip code it'll be good enough.  The only thing I save locally is your nickname, an email, and your lat/long.
That kills the whole thing before it even gets rolling .

I don't give out my personnel Email address like that and I think
that a large amount of this community feels the same.

Even more so after we just got hacked.
If it's not possible to omit the Email address then something else will have to be found .

Bad_Syntax

• Lieutenant
    • Battletech Engineer
« Reply #73 on: 06 February 2011, 19:12:16 »
If you are *that* worried about your email address, like its somehow secure or something, well I hate to break this to you, but it really isn't.

Sure, CBT got hacked, but I'm betting EVERY single one you get at least ONE spam message per day, and if you get ONE, your email address is no longer "private".  The *passwords* are the bad thing that got hacked, as many people use the same one on multiple sites, but just emails?  Nobody can do anything with that except spam you.

If you are *that* worried about it, go create a free yahoo, gmail, hotmail, whatever account and just check it once a month for new emails.  Or you can be smart and get a whole domain, then put email addresses like "some_domain_I_gave_my_email.myrealemail@mydomain.com", this allows very easy filtering, and lets you know who sold your email address.

Without emails there is no way to get in touch with you, and many people don't have accounts on here, and what if THOSE get hacked again?

Having been in the IT and security (both physical and computer) for over 20 years I am pretty sure of what I'm talking about, but if you are really that worried simply don't use the tool, and use more old fashion stuff like posting your phone number in your LGS.... wait, that is far more insecure than an email.... ummm.... I have no idea how you can find people without giving out *something* for them to use, and a CBT.com account is no better than any free email system out there.

"He who sacrifices freedom for security deserves neither." - Benjamin Franklin
Battletech Engineer

Ice_Trey

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Warrant Officer
« Reply #74 on: 06 February 2011, 19:48:04 »
If you are *that* worried about your email address, like its somehow secure or something, well I hate to break this to you, but it really isn't.

Sure, CBT got hacked, but I'm betting EVERY single one you get at least ONE spam message per day, and if you get ONE, your email address is no longer "private".  The *passwords* are the bad thing that got hacked, as many people use the same one on multiple sites, but just emails?  Nobody can do anything with that except spam you.

If you are *that* worried about it, go create a free yahoo, gmail, hotmail, whatever account and just check it once a month for new emails.  Or you can be smart and get a whole domain, then put email addresses like "some_domain_I_gave_my_email.myrealemail@mydomain.com", this allows very easy filtering, and lets you know who sold your email address.

Without emails there is no way to get in touch with you, and many people don't have accounts on here, and what if THOSE get hacked again?

Having been in the IT and security (both physical and computer) for over 20 years I am pretty sure of what I'm talking about, but if you are really that worried simply don't use the tool, and use more old fashion stuff like posting your phone number in your LGS.... wait, that is far more insecure than an email.... ummm.... I have no idea how you can find people without giving out *something* for them to use, and a CBT.com account is no better than any free email system out there.

"He who sacrifices freedom for security deserves neither." - Benjamin Franklin

It's not the e-mail I'd be worried about. It's the home address and phone number.

You have no idea how awkward it is when your folks hand you fliers addressed to you for male enhancement pills, especially when they can turn into religious zealots at the drop of a hat.

Bad_Syntax

• Lieutenant
    • Battletech Engineer
« Reply #75 on: 06 February 2011, 22:40:46 »
Like I said, you don't have to put your home address, you can just put a zip code.

And I have no idea why you would want to put a phone number on there.

Maybe I should have replaced "put your address here" with "put your zip code here", it'd make ya'll feel better.

Of course, if ya'll are that worried about privacy maybe you need to understand a bit more about the internet and how so many vendors are making money on what you search for, tracking your IP, your name, your emails, etc, etc.  Here is a neato site showing just how much google tracks you:  http://donttrack.us/  - their entire way of doing business is to sell you as a commodity.

There is no privacy on the internet, regardless of browser settings, "private browsing", tor, or any other method of obfuscation or deleting your cookies.
Battletech Engineer

megatrons2nd

• Warrant Officer
  • All hail Megatron
« Reply #76 on: 06 February 2011, 23:25:40 »
It took telling my browser to reload the page to get it to work.  Apparently Bad Syntax and I are the only players within lunar orbit on it right now.

I searched "500000000000000" miles.  So does the system save players?  Or is it just glitching on me?
« Last Edit: 06 February 2011, 23:30:56 by megatrons2nd »
All the world's a joke and the people merely punchlines.

Stormlion1

• Colonel
« Reply #77 on: 06 February 2011, 23:30:21 »
Still doesn't come up for me, just says its unavailable.

megatrons2nd

• Warrant Officer
  • All hail Megatron
« Reply #78 on: 06 February 2011, 23:32:45 »
What browser are you using?  I'm using Firefox.  I had to hit try again to get it to work.

Syntax; Can I post a link to other sites?

Stormlion1

• Colonel
« Reply #79 on: 06 February 2011, 23:36:52 »
Internet Explorer-7 I think.

megatrons2nd

• Warrant Officer
  • All hail Megatron
« Reply #80 on: 06 February 2011, 23:40:52 »
My Internet explorer loaded it by hitting refresh twice.

Stormlion1

• Colonel
« Reply #81 on: 07 February 2011, 00:12:27 »
Had to hit refresh 4 times to get it to work, but it finally did.

Bad_Syntax

• Lieutenant
    • Battletech Engineer
« Reply #82 on: 07 February 2011, 01:30:59 »
Right now there are only 3 people in it, it'll hopefully get fuller with time :)

Not sure why it doesn't work on the first try, you could try the url http://goodsects.gotdns.com/PlayerFinder instead, as there is a redirect to cooltexan some browsers have issues with.

Glad to see some using it though!
Battletech Engineer

Revanche

• Warrant Officer
  • Fanah’s Fangs (formerly of the Talitha Division)
« Reply #83 on: 07 February 2011, 22:01:35 »
Bad_Syntax, is there a way to have the information 'expire', since we don't have accounts we sign into? For example, I'm reluctant to sign up right now, for I'll be moving in a few short months and I don't want bad information to pollute your DB. So, maybe, have the info expire every 12 months or something along those lines.

- Rev

Bad_Syntax

• Lieutenant
    • Battletech Engineer
« Reply #84 on: 08 February 2011, 00:09:37 »
Well since there only about 10 entries, "polluting" the database is fine.  Shoot me an email if you want your email removed from it.

I'm sure TPTB here at cbt.com could easily do a much better job at a player finder than I did, and they could link it in with the site better.

This is a totally no-frills site, just to help people find other players, all it needs is an email so others can contact you and a zip code so they have an approximate location as to where you are.
Battletech Engineer

Ghostrider42

• Recruit
« Reply #85 on: 08 February 2011, 23:29:00 »
Ok iam in and it works
NOW GET IN  so i can see if any is closer then 405 miles

Ghostrider42

Bad_Syntax

• Lieutenant
    • Battletech Engineer
« Reply #86 on: 08 February 2011, 23:39:44 »
There are now 15 entries... I should probably put that number on the home page somewhere :)

Also, this probably needs to have an official topic made for it, so people know, and links posted to other places like heavymetalpro and lordsofthebattlefield to get it more populated.

Without lots of users, it won't of much use to many of us.

I did fix a bug when people were adding crlf after each line of what they play, so it may have broke a couple days ago, was a quick and easy fix.
Battletech Engineer