Author Topic: Training Missions  (Read 1687 times)

black magic battalion

• Sergeant
Training Missions
« on: 18 June 2012, 03:42:54 »
i have recently started playing against an opponent who is fairly new to Battletech and doesnt have any grasp of tactics. he knows the rules fairly well but he just doesnt have know how to use his forces properly.
so i need to know do any of you have training missions that can teach a new player the basic tactics of Battletech

looking forwrd to your replies  O0

SethsMatches

• Master Sergeant
  • Never Give In!
Re: Training Missions
« Reply #1 on: 18 June 2012, 06:21:35 »
Here's one I made. It's simple in design but it took me a while to actually type it out so as to, hopefully, make sense.

http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,7200.msg163412.html#msg163412
"Man shouldn't have to live by carbohydrates alone, complex or otherwise." - Spike Spiegal

Nav_Alpha

• Major
« Reply #2 on: 18 June 2012, 07:16:04 »
Work training scenarios into the campaign.

"Listen in rookie, where have you spent your entire life? At an orgy? Welcome to the NAIS (or any academy/training battalion, etc). We've put you in the simulated cockpit of a Stinger. I'm that big blue blob on your Tac screen right in front of you. We will now demonstrate the proper technique for "advance by fire". Understood?"

I've run RPG scenarios before, where you start the pc as a wet behind the ears trainee as a way of showing them the rules and giving them an idea of tactics.
Just get them to rule up a character who is still in training and run two or three training missions:
First - basic flanking, cover, etc
Second - use of envelopment, targeting by lance, etc.
Third - final test: throw them in the deep end and make them use everything they've be taught in a "final exam" situation against smart opponents

"Hold your position, conserve ammo... and wait for the Dragoons to go Feral"
- last words of unknown merc, Harlech, 3067

TonUp

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #3 on: 18 June 2012, 08:33:05 »
If something more basic is needed:

1.   Put movement together for them: Have them walk, run, and jump over and through varied terrain.
2.   Let's talk weapons: Have them shoot at a variety of static targets in the open, in woods, partial cover, etc. Your choice on tracking heat/ammo at this stage. They should start to play with the variety of TH modifiers. It's goofy but a candy makes a nice target  with the added bonus that the player gets to eat it if they can destroy it.
3.   Adding movement to combat: Make the targets move around randomly. There is no need to track their heat, dmg, etc. Just generate some modifiers for the player to deal with.

All of these can be put together in a single quick scenario. Call it a gunnery/piloting skills qualification check if need be. If they get all this, then start feeding them tactics/strategy.  O0

winteriscoming77

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #4 on: 23 June 2012, 20:31:55 »
I've played games my entire adult life and I run a game club for high school students.  I am also a teacher and so I have a lot of experience with this situation! 

Playing a couple "open" games has always been the most successful teaching tool that I have found for learning new games.  An "open" game can be defined as a game that is openly discussed as it progresses.  So, for example, as you take your turn, tell your friend some examples of what you COULD do and then tell your friend what you WILL do.  WHY did you choose that choice from amongst the others? When it is your friend's turn, let them execute and make choices, but gauge when it may be appropriate to join in with "warnings" when they are about to make a big mistake and "congratulations" when they make a good move.  Gamers can be sensitive to people "helping" them, so gauge what will work with what you know about your friend.  The goal is to help them get better, not to play the game for them.

Another alternative, if you'd like to keep the games "closed" is to have a "debrief" after every game you play.  What did they do well and not do so well? What did you do well and not so well?  Admit when you make mistakes and ask their opinion on what they think you should have done in a tight spot.  You may end up improving from this dialogue as well.

What both of these techniques have in common in that you need to prioritize the learning over the "winning." If your friend's improvement is important to you so you can have a more challenging opponent, you will have to be willing to create artificial situations that allow your friend to learn by experiences, in a controlled environment in which you can help their learning happen faster.  There is no substitute for experience, but GUIDED experience is even more valuable. 

Finally, this game has a lot of rules and the cause of some mistakes may simply be due to too much complexity too early.  Start with small lances of one to two mechs with simpler terrain and work up.  Perhaps you have a game with just hills and then a game with just trees and then combine them.  Add rules until you are playing as deep as you would like without making mistakes.

I hope this helps! :)
« Last Edit: 24 June 2012, 11:08:50 by winteriscoming77 »
Please check out my gaming blog at http://klecser.wordpress.com

It is not all Battletech (video games, game design, game philosophy, etc.), but has battle reports and my (inexperienced) musings about the game.

TonUp

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #5 on: 25 June 2012, 23:19:18 »
... An "open" game can be defined as a game that is openly discussed as it progresses.  So, for example, as you take your turn, tell your friend some examples of what you COULD do and then tell your friend what you WILL do.  WHY did you choose that choice from amongst the others? ...

It might not fit with what the OP wants/needs, but this is an absolutely great way to teach people a new game. Opening up your more experienced thought-process really lets new players get a glimpse at what a successful player thinks about and does during the course of play. This is huge. I think most experienced players do this, but being conscious about it really helps solidify in your mind why you do things, too...

Good post...  O0

Justicar06

• Recruit
« Reply #6 on: 28 June 2012, 15:14:36 »
It might not fit with what the OP wants/needs, but this is an absolutely great way to teach people a new game. Opening up your more experienced thought-process really lets new players get a glimpse at what a successful player thinks about and does during the course of play. This is huge. I think most experienced players do this, but being conscious about it really helps solidify in your mind why you do things, too...

Good post...  O0

Of course if your thought process is one that works for you but wouldn't apply it doesn't help 8)

Personally I've gone with teaching tactics by giving my opinion of what i would do in their position regarding forces or give them option basically playing with the kid gloves on. Eventually though once they've gotten the basics of their own tactics I brutally punish the bad habits that the kid gloves got them and explaining why exactly it happened. 8)
My Rides
MAD-4S
Havoc Custom
Anything with Jump Jets!

House Davie Merc

• Lieutenant
« Reply #7 on: 29 June 2012, 03:02:00 »
Start with the starter maps from the boxset with the mountains facing
towards each other in the middle .

Let him have a 3/4 Phoenix Hawk .

You take 2x Locusts  ,1 Wasp ,and 1 Stinger .
All standard production versions with 4/5 pilots .

After the game as he complains about how the numerical advantage was to much ,
switch places and YOU take the Phoenix Hawk .

Register