Classic Battletech Roleplaying
1 (1%)
A Time of War
30 (29.4%)
Playing one of the above, but will switch to Mechwarrior: Destiny
4 (3.9%)
Don't currently play but will try Mechwarrior: Destiny when it comes out
17 (16.7%)
Not a RPG players and not going to get into it.
3 (2.9%)
Play using a non-Catalyst Games system (such as Savage worlds, Etc.)
4 (3.9%)
Other
3 (2.9%)

Total Members Voted: 102

Author Topic: Version of Mechwarrrior RPG[Poll]  (Read 17172 times)

Talen5000

• Lieutenant
    • Handbook: Smoke Jaguar
Re: Version of Mechwarrrior RPG[Poll]
« Reply #60 on: 11 February 2020, 19:17:36 »
Predictability?  If you understand how a bell curve works, there's really no difference there.  Granularity is true (to a small degree), but not as important as the link to the table top.

No link to the TableTop is needed.
The only thing needed is a way to convert your gunnery skill in the RPG to its equivalent in AGoAC. That affects the TNs...it doesn't affect the dice.

"So let me get this straight. You want to fly on a magic carpet to see the King of the Potato People and plead with him for your freedom, and you're telling me you're completely sane?" -- Uncle Arnie

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #61 on: 11 February 2020, 20:53:55 »
The math involved in the conversion is as "intimidating" as the arithmetic involved in character creation, so I'd expect the same complaints.

Talen5000

• Lieutenant
« Reply #62 on: 12 February 2020, 02:50:51 »
The math involved in the conversion is as "intimidating" as the arithmetic involved in character creation, so I'd expect the same complaints.

Depends on the conversion
"Your gunnery skill in the Table top game is equal to 7 minus half your current skill level/adds, rounding up" is one subtraction that uses single digit numbers.

Similar rules could be appended to piloting, EDG, Toughness, Willpower, Tactics and so on.  A single sum is not going to be intimidating to most people. The entire thing could be handled in a paragraph or two dedicated to TTG Integration

Character creation in AToW is complicated to the extent that access to a computer and a spreadsheet program is recommended by many, with the need to keep track of scores of additions and subtractions of three or four digit numbers across several dozen stats and skills and attributes. An entirely different level of math.

"So let me get this straight. You want to fly on a magic carpet to see the King of the Potato People and plead with him for your freedom, and you're telling me you're completely sane?" -- Uncle Arnie

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #63 on: 12 February 2020, 04:51:39 »
Calculus is a different "level" of math.  Arithmetic is arithmetic.

Talen5000

• Lieutenant
« Reply #64 on: 12 February 2020, 06:14:57 »
Calculus is a different "level" of math.  Arithmetic is arithmetic.

Yes - and the same people who will be able to perform one sum that takes seconds without a personal computer at hand will still be deterred from performing dozens of calculations that require said computer and a spreadsheet program

The amount of math and work involved can, will and does deter people from the game. That is a simple reality and even if you are OK with the level of math during character creation, a lot of people are not. That is why spreadsheet chargen system have been made. Why they are used.

Paul

• dies a lot at the Solaris Melee Challenge!
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
« Reply #65 on: 12 February 2020, 08:06:01 »
Neither of you guys are bringing up new points. Perhaps agree that this has gone circular and move on to something else to discuss?
The solution is just ignore Paul.