Author Topic: We can rebuild her. Faster. Stronger. Cattier?  (Read 15373 times)

Maelwys

• Major
We can rebuild her. Faster. Stronger. Cattier?
« on: 14 January 2013, 17:10:04 »
Or him for that matter. It is the MoC, so I'm sure its equal opportunity for cat types.

I hope to do a couple of things with this build. The first is because people have been interested in the tongue-in-cheek catgirls from the MoC for a while now, and with the fluff and implants and pictures from the Companion, its alot easier to do now (though I have to admit, it was probably possible to do it before this point as well).

The second is to give an example of character generation, especially when going to some extremes, rather than keeping it somewhat level. And also looking at some of the rules that frankly just leave me confused at times.

The third is to looks at some of the options given in the new Companion for character generation and traits.

Some general comments..I'm looking at the character set around 3080ish. I'm going to skip the 4th Stage Lifepath so I have the extra points to spend where I want. I'm going to be using the MoC Affiliation (natch), and will ponder the various lifepaths as I go. One nice thing about the Jihad with the Magistracy is that a little bit of everything happened, so pretty much all of the lifepaths are an option.

CanopusIV

• Master Sergeant
  • Also known as the mighty Iron Liz
Re: We can rebuild her. Faster. Stronger. Cattier?
« Reply #1 on: 14 January 2013, 17:23:25 »
My immediate thought went to the sort of catty that middle school girls tend to be.  But we're talking catgirls, ok....

Well, I would think it would be necessary to figure out the exact motivations for "catgirl-izing" yourself in the first place.  While it would be a perfect thing to have if you were an undercover MIM agent in a pleasure circus, it might not be as useful in a corporate setting.  If said catgirl was in the military, I would see her more as a scout where having feline attributes would come in handy or in the infantry.  A catgirl tanker wouldn't make the best out of the surgery.

The other thing to consider is the cost.  Choosing a white collar or noble background might make more sense since I'd imagine the surgical procedures would cost something even in the Magistracy.  Otherwise, it might be justifiable to take the "In-For-Life" trait to represent the character's devotion to someone else in exchange for the surgical procedures and training.

If I had to make a character with the catgirl traits, I'd probably make an MIM agent with heavy emphasis on stealth, melee and unarmed combat, and heavy social skills.  A catgirl might be seen as an oddity in the Draconis Combine, but might be seen with awe and interest in the upper echelons of Lyran society.  An MIM agent-catgirl as the paramour to a Lyran noble would be an ideal posting in a lot of ways.

My thoughts at least

Maingunnery

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Pirates and C3 masters are on the hitlist
« Reply #2 on: 14 January 2013, 17:27:31 »

Well one could use the Catgirl Mutant trait, then any faction can have some catgirls. Catgirl Snipers anyone?
Herb: "Well, now I guess we'll HAVE to print it. Sounds almost like the apocalypse I've been working for...."

The Society:Fan XTRO & Field Manual
Nebula California: HyperTube Xtreme
Nebula Confederation Ships

CanopusIV

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #3 on: 14 January 2013, 17:30:45 »
Well one could use the Catgirl Mutant trait, then any faction can have some catgirls. Catgirl Snipers anyone?

Just as long as it didn't devolve into a Wing Commander offshoot...

CanRay

• Recruit
« Reply #4 on: 14 January 2013, 17:51:32 »
I don't know, a "Taunt" ability against other mech pilots would be a nice addition.   O0

CanopusIV

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #5 on: 14 January 2013, 18:42:20 »
By the by, Maelwys, when I get my Compendium, I'll put together my own catgirl character and post it for comparison.  You've peaked my interest :D

Maelwys

• Major
« Reply #6 on: 14 January 2013, 19:20:27 »
Well, I would think it would be necessary to figure out the exact motivations for "catgirl-izing" yourself in the first place.  While it would be a perfect thing to have if you were an undercover MIM agent in a pleasure circus, it might not be as useful in a corporate setting.  If said catgirl was in the military, I would see her more as a scout where having feline attributes would come in handy or in the infantry.  A catgirl tanker wouldn't make the best out of the surgery.

Well, admittedly its not for every game. I'm looking more at a MIM Operative who fits in with a Pleasure Circus, rather than a catgirl out in the world.

[qute]The other thing to consider is the cost.  Choosing a white collar or noble background might make more sense since I'd imagine the surgical procedures would cost something even in the Magistracy.  Otherwise, it might be justifiable to take the "In-For-Life" trait to represent the character's devotion to someone else in exchange for the surgical procedures and training.[/quote]

Oh, its ridiculously expensive, part of that exploring the extremes I was talking about. :)

theothersarah

• Warrant Officer
  • Girls just wanna have fun
« Reply #7 on: 14 January 2013, 23:38:28 »
It could just be what's "in" for young, fashion-conscious, and of course rich nobles in the MoC.

Edit: I have an NPC planned out for eventual use in my campaign who is an MoC noblewoman's daughter who is fairly stuck up and annoying, and gets saddled with the players against their will. I gave her a robo-cat tail and had it explained that it's the latest in "cyber fashion" that's becoming popular in the Magistracy.
« Last Edit: 14 January 2013, 23:43:00 by theothersarah »

CanopusIV

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #8 on: 15 January 2013, 00:50:07 »
It could just be what's "in" for young, fashion-conscious, and of course rich nobles in the MoC.

Edit: I have an NPC planned out for eventual use in my campaign who is an MoC noblewoman's daughter who is fairly stuck up and annoying, and gets saddled with the players against their will. I gave her a robo-cat tail and had it explained that it's the latest in "cyber fashion" that's becoming popular in the Magistracy.

O.o  your campaigns sound interesting.  Maybe the bias against cybernetics isn't as bad in the Magistracy post-Jihad.  Either way, sounds like an interesting hook.

theothersarah

• Warrant Officer
  • Girls just wanna have fun
« Reply #9 on: 15 January 2013, 02:54:01 »
O.o  your campaigns sound interesting.  Maybe the bias against cybernetics isn't as bad in the Magistracy post-Jihad.  Either way, sounds like an interesting hook.

Even with the bias in place, fashion is always going to have an element of being extreme and shocking people. I think it's the kind of thing you could fit into any era - though if cybernetics really catch on it could become rather blase.

As an aside if my players read my previous post they may not want to take any jobs with the MoC now :V

Maelwys

• Major
« Reply #10 on: 15 January 2013, 05:12:58 »

That's definitely a good way to include some of the cybernetics. It also adds an interesting dimension to the universe, one that hasn't really been touched upon, except recently in the Liberation of Terra book where they mention some SLDF soldiers getting animal ear implants. That being the transhuman implants for implants sake, rather than implants being only as a fix for what's wrong.

Though this brings up an interesting question. Since the tail is effectively another limb, that means it falls under those rules. Does that mean it hangs limp most of the time, since you're limited to only controlling 4 "limbs"? And if you want it to be mobile, you have to give up one of your other limbs? Or is it programmed to act like a tail the majority of the time without user input, and the only time you have to lose the use of another limb is when you actively use it, such as a whip?

guardiandashi

• Major
« Reply #11 on: 15 January 2013, 05:53:41 »
Malways good question...

I would give it different "levels" aka a relatively low level tail would default to relatively "basic" modes without inpacting  control aka it responds to your general mood on its own, hangs down when not real happy, twitches, or raises up when happier, tucks when scared etc

higher level ones have more "automatic" functions that they will do "on their own" without the owner/operator having to stop and manually control it

Maelwys

• Major
« Reply #12 on: 15 January 2013, 06:10:19 »
Alright, so the first step of chargen is pretty simple. You note the standard 850 points that every character spends, and you pick a faction and subfaction. Mark down where those points go, spend the Flex XPs, and prepare for the second step.

Attributes
STR: 100
BOD: 100
REF: 100
DEX: 100
INT: 100
WIL: 100
CHA: 200
EDG: 150

Traits
Equipped: -35
Gregarious: 50
Wealth: 40
Illiterate: -25

Skills
Language/English: 20
Language/Spanish: 20
Perception: 25
Streetwise/MoC: 15
Acting: 15

At this stage, the character is pretty much just generalities, which makes sense since we've only included the points from the Affiliation. Its pretty much how I see the MoC and the Periphery in general during the 3060's. Charismatic, with a hint of lucky. Has a little bit of money, but high tech stuff is still hard to come by. Friendly, so people react well to her, but from the Periphery/MoC so people don't react THAT well to them. I spent the flex points to start building up my Equipped trait since it will be useful, as well as Wealth (for similar reasons). Perception also got a bump in a nod to her future job.

3081 Addendum
Field Manual 3085 updates the affiliations for use after the Jihad. I thought about using the "new" Magistracy affiliation, but I decided to stick to the original one, since I felt if I used the Affiliation I would have to use the updated cost modifiers, which would make this character build problematic. There are some minor changes to the affiliation. You get less Charisma, and your Edge bonus disappears, but you get a small bump to your Willpower. Both Wealth and Reputation get small bumps, so people sneer at you less, probably because you have more money. You get more choices of skills to pick from, but you get less points per skill. And as a nod to the Magistracy's link to the Capellans, you can take Mandarin as a secondary language, and Protocol/Capellan as one of your skill choices.

Maelwys

• Major
« Reply #13 on: 15 January 2013, 07:10:26 »

Catgirl mutant trait?

I would give it different "levels" aka a relatively low level tail would default to relatively "basic" modes without inpacting  control aka it responds to your general mood on its own, hangs down when not real happy, twitches, or raises up when happier, tucks when scared etc

higher level ones have more "automatic" functions that they will do "on their own" without the owner/operator having to stop and manually control it

Entirely possible. Probably one of those "Whatever works in your game." I'd figure its never really limp since that would just throw off your balance, and probably doesn't limit the use of one of your other limbs unless you can make it prehensile. When I've had some more sleep I'll have to reread the description.

Maingunnery

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #14 on: 15 January 2013, 12:15:39 »
Catgirl mutant trait?
See

MUTATION TRAIT EXAMPLES TABLE
A Time of War Companion page 53

TP –3       Functional tail and mobile ears
Herb: "Well, now I guess we'll HAVE to print it. Sounds almost like the apocalypse I've been working for...."

Maelwys

• Major
« Reply #15 on: 15 January 2013, 13:19:56 »
Ah, that one. Figured it was, just wanted to make sure :) Next Stage, coming sometime soon :)

Maelwys

• Major
« Reply #16 on: 15 January 2013, 23:43:37 »
One of the things to keep in mind when making a character is the general age of the character. Since I'm stopping after the 3rd Life Path, I can expect my character to be around 18-20 when I'm done. With a final date of 3080, I'm looking at a character born around 3060-3062. Stage 1 takes you through the first 10 years of the character's life, we're looking at the 60's to the early 70's, so even this part of the character's life can be influenced by the Jihad.

Fortunately, most of ATOW's Life Paths are generic enough that they can fit in, no matter what. Even without the Jihad there's enough fighting all the time to justify things like "War Orphan." Obviously nothing is going to justify the Affiliation Specific Life Paths in this case such as Mercenary Brat or Trueborn creche (now isn't that a terrifying thought. Trueborn Catgirl creches).

The first time I went through this character concept, I went with Blue Collar as the Stage 1 Path. Its a relatively safe choice. Its cheap, and the negatives on it aren't something that you can't bounce back from. Since I'm trying to go for a slightly more extreme version of the character, I decided to choose something else. I narrowed it down to Back Woods and White Collar. They're almost the opposite of each other in terms of what they offer, but since I'm a glutton for punishment, I'm going to go with Back Woods, even though it goes against the eventual goals of the character (sometimes fluff beats numbers!).

Attributes
STR: 200 (min 4)
BOD: 200 (Min 5)
REF: 175
INT: 75
WIL: 100
CHA: 150

Traits
Equipped: -60
Wealth: -10
Illiterate: -100
Fit: 100
Toughness: 75

Skills
Language/Spanish: 15
Perception: 30
Streetwise/MoC: 15
Running: 10
Tracking/Wilds: 10
Martial Arts: 10
Melee Weapons: 10
Navigation/Ground: 10
Survival/Any: 15

A roll of 9 on the "Random Life Events" table would have netted me another 25 XP to smooth off some of the rough edges that appeared, but since I took Back Woods, the roll suffered a -2 modifier, which put the results at a mundane +0 XP.

We see the character gain some experience with weapons and combat (just what kind of woods are these?), as well as some useful survival-type skills. When I flesh out the character later, I'll decide on just what kind of Survival she'll know. Traits and attributes were big changers as well, with the character now fully illiterate (who needs to read when you know Kung Fu?). Wealth and Equipped took hits, despite spending flex points to try to save them. Fit and Toughness can be useful considering where she eventually winds up, but I'm only halfway to gaining Fit, and not even 1/3rd of the way to gaining Toughness. I expect atleast one of those traits to be sacrificed at the end.

So there we go. That takes the character up to the age of 10. Next up, the Jihad and the teenage years. 
« Last Edit: 16 January 2013, 02:27:36 by Maelwys »

CanopusIV

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #17 on: 15 January 2013, 23:44:53 »
Yikes!  These cosmetic surgery modifications are WAY too expensive. 

There's very little way you could afford the cosmetic modifications without being very, VERY wealthy or have a very, VERY wealthy patron.  And you certainly couldn't afford them at character creation.  These modifications should have entire adventures around acquiring them.

For those not in the know, a mermaid modification costs 750,000 C-Bills, a centaur modification 800,000 C-Bills, and a naga modification 550,000 C-Bills.

In a lot of ways, that would imply that the Pleasure Circuses who have these individuals would have to be state-run owned or owned by a wealthy member of the nobility.  Like, no one short of a Countess would have the resources to have just ONE of these surgical modifications.  I'd love to see that decision come up during the yearly fiscal report...

Well, that changes my character build just a bit.  I'm leaning towards the feline mutation rather than the surgical modification now.  With a little practice and precaution, you get rid of the negative aspects of the trait, and it gives you an extra 300xp to play with during character creation. 

Somewhat disappointing...

RunandFindOut

• Lieutenant
  • Master of the LolCat Horde
« Reply #18 on: 15 January 2013, 23:50:13 »
You could always just lower the costs.  It's an RPG book not Holy Writ, if you want cyborg catgirls adjust the price to where it fits what you want in the game.
One does not just walk into Detroit

She ignored the dragon, and Freddy Mercury who arrived to battle it with the Power of Rock.

CanopusIV

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #19 on: 15 January 2013, 23:54:05 »
You could always just lower the costs.  It's an RPG book not Holy Writ, if you want cyborg catgirls adjust the price to where it fits what you want in the game.

Hahaha!  Wow, way to call me out on the obvious >.<  You're absolutely right!  I suppose just because it's written in a book it makes it have a certain level of legitimacy to it and makes it harder to change the rules.

If I ever run a game, I'm going to take a '0' off the end of the price-tag for each option.  That would make a lot more sense in terms of affordability.  Still expensive, but not so expensive that a group of white collar investors could get rich off it.

RunandFindOut

• Lieutenant
« Reply #20 on: 16 January 2013, 00:13:16 »
I came to tabletop gaming through 1eD&D.  If it teaches you anything it teaches you the rules aren't some kind of immutable law they exist to make the game fun.  If you think the game would be more fun different run with it.  I have never stopped applying that to any sort of tabletop game I play.

She ignored the dragon, and Freddy Mercury who arrived to battle it with the Power of Rock.

Maelwys

• Major
« Reply #21 on: 16 January 2013, 00:26:17 »
It probably helps defray the cost when its owned by the circus instead of the people themselves, but its still a pretty big investment, and probably explained why its relatively unique and rare (not to mention finding someone that wants to be a mermaid and is willing to get the implants).

Of course, another way to look at it. All these modification packages are cheaper than a single non-Industrial `Mech :)

CanopusIV

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #22 on: 16 January 2013, 01:00:43 »
It probably helps defray the cost when its owned by the circus instead of the people themselves, but its still a pretty big investment, and probably explained why its relatively unique and rare (not to mention finding someone that wants to be a mermaid and is willing to get the implants).

Of course, another way to look at it. All these modification packages are cheaper than a single non-Industrial `Mech :)

True.  Though I suppose finding someone who wants their legs chopped off so they can be a mermaid would be difficult, finding someone who would also remain loyal enough not to (pardon the phrase) walk off with the goods would also be a bit tricky too.  Well, there's a lot 750,000 C-Bills could buy too, but no, I get your point.  Still, it'd be too expensive for me to justify the cost.

CanopusIV

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #23 on: 16 January 2013, 01:03:45 »
I came to tabletop gaming through 1eD&D.  If it teaches you anything it teaches you the rules aren't some kind of immutable law they exist to make the game fun.  If you think the game would be more fun different run with it.  I have never stopped applying that to any sort of tabletop game I play.

Hahaha, I grew up on AD&D myself which didn't make a whole lot of sense either, but at the time we weren't playing anything that was too official with the rules.  Maybe I just play with the wrong sort of people, but the established norm came to be that if you could bend one rule, you can bend a bunch more and sooner or later there's that 'one guy' who wants to powergame the changes.

In any case, here's to hoping said mermaid, centaur, or naga has a performance or stage show they do to help justify the cost....and here's hoping that the entry fee for said show is at LEAST 100 C-Bills per ticket.

Maelwys

• Major
« Reply #24 on: 16 January 2013, 01:57:47 »
True.  Though I suppose finding someone who wants their legs chopped off so they can be a mermaid would be difficult, finding someone who would also remain loyal enough not to (pardon the phrase) walk off with the goods would also be a bit tricky too.  Well, there's a lot 750,000 C-Bills could buy too, but no, I get your point.  Still, it'd be too expensive for me to justify the cost.

Well, they could also recruit from the injured, rather than going for someone willing to remove their perfectly functional legs. Its the transhuman feel I've never really gotten from Battletech. If this were Shadowrun, I'd have no problem with imagining a person throwing cyberware into their body without a thought, removing limbs to get them replaced. In BT, until the Manei Domini (And really, Guide to Covert Ops), I would've said that all implants were the result of injuries, rather than being a personal choice. It might be interesting to see where it goes in the universe.

CanopusIV

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #25 on: 16 January 2013, 03:10:41 »
Ok, here's what I came up for my potential "catgirl" character.  Since I'm a stickler for rules and points, I decided to use the 'mutant' trait which would give her the desired appearance.  Not the cybernetic variety, no, but that can come later if need be.  I'll list the info and then a bit of the background at the end.  Ready?

Name: Doctor Angelina Comnenus
Height: 5'6" 
Weight: 140lbs.
Eyes: Blue
Hair: Chestnut-Black

Origin: Magistracy of Canopus
Early: White Collar (-25xp due to circumstances)
Late: Prep School (+100 due to circumstances)
Edu: University (+100 due to circumstances)  (Scientist, Medical Assistant, Doctor)

ATTRIBUTES:

STR: 300
BOD: 400
RFL: 500
DEX: 500
INT: 600
WIL: 400
CHA: 600
EDG: 300

SKILLS:

Acting +3
Administration +1
Archery +2
Art/Painting +1
Career/Doctor +1
Career/MedTech +1
Career/Scientist +1
Computers +3
Interest/Cheerleading +3
Interest/Rave Music +2
Interest/Pharmacology +1
Interest/Pleasure Circuses +1
Investigation +2
Language/English +2
Language/Greek +2
MedTech +4
Melee Weapons +0
Negotiation +2
Perception +4
Protocol/Magistracy +3
Science/Chemistry +2
Surgery/General +3
Stealth +1
Streetwise/Magistracy +1
Training +1

TRAITS:

Compulsion/Vain -100
Connections 400
Enemy -200
Gregarious 100
Good Hearing  0
Mutant -300
Wealth 300

Angelina was born to the Comnenus family in 3053 who owned a successful nightclub on Crimson.  She has three older brothers and was born with a series of genetic mutations after her parents used an experimental fertility drug.  As a result, she was born with cat ears and a tail.  Angelina was picked on quite often as a kid, so she spent most of her time at home on the family computer avoiding the other children (-25 CHA).  Her life came into stride when her family sent her to Prep School where she blossomed as a social butterfly, belonging to many different social groups: Cheer Squad, Computer Club, rave DJ, Theater Performances.  While there, she also met the daughter to an influential Contessa who helped introduce her an even wider circle of powerful people (Connections +100).

The Jihad broke out when Angelina was at Crimson University where she initially trained as a Medical Assistant and later learning practical battlefield medicine as a Doctor for the resistance when the 42nd Shadow Division firebombed the city.  Though she wasn't technically a soldier, Angelina spent a lot of time with the Magistracy Medical Corps and rapidly expanded her skills (100 xp over skills).  Though not extensively schooled in the administrative duties of a doctor, Angelina is an able surgeon and talented medic.  While her appearance can initially be unnerving, it doesn't take long for her natural charm and friendly demeanor to win most people over.

Angelina would work best as a mercenary doctor, social dilettante, or organizational 'face.'  Her exotic appearance and compulsion helps her as a schmoozer and plays into the feline vanity and need to be the center of attention.  While light in the combat department, she represents the social potential that her feline appearance could afford her.
« Last Edit: 16 January 2013, 03:15:56 by CanopusIV »

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Miss Chitty finds your honor rules quaint.
« Reply #26 on: 16 January 2013, 04:08:11 »
There's very little way you could afford the cosmetic modifications without being very, VERY wealthy or have a very, VERY wealthy patron.  And you certainly couldn't afford them at character creation.  These modifications should have entire adventures around acquiring them.

On the other hand, it appears to be only a six point trait to acquire the requisite implant package. Kind of like starting with a battlemech, except it's cat ears and a tail (maybe retractable claws, but you need the artificial hands as well for those).
Good news is the lab boys say the symptoms of asbestos poisoning show an immediate latency of 44.6 years. So if you're thirty or over you're laughing. Worst case scenario you miss out on a few rounds of canasta, plus you've forwarded the cause of science by three centuries. I punch those numbers into my calculator, it makes a happy face.

(indirect accessory to the) Slayer of Monitors!

CanopusIV

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #27 on: 16 January 2013, 14:37:23 »
On the other hand, it appears to be only a six point trait to acquire the requisite implant package. Kind of like starting with a battlemech, except it's cat ears and a tail (maybe retractable claws, but you need the artificial hands as well for those).

True.  Maybe an MIM agent built around that would be something to try.  Also, I read all your statements in the voice of Dr. Venture :D

Maelwys

• Major
« Reply #28 on: 16 January 2013, 15:32:00 »
And this is where it starts to go all wrong for the character. Pulled into the Jihad, she gets dragged into the fighting..running messages, low level conflicts. This takes the character up tot he age of 16, so around 3076-3078. Most people will comment that this is pretty late for fighting in the Magistracy, but keep in mind it also encompasses the 3072-3075 years as well. I figure eventually the character would be severely injured, and this would be when the Ebon Magistrate got to her. They're probably severely depleted from fighting in the Jihad, and I can see them looking for recruits among the heavily injured.

Attributes
BOD: 240 (Min 5)
REF: 215
INT: 45
WIL: 150

Traits
Combat Sense: 80
Connections: 30
Equipped: -40
Wealth: 100

Compulsion/Paranoid: -20
Enemy: -40

Skills
Language/Spanish: -10
Perception: 55
Protocol/MoC: -10
Streetwise/MoC: 60
Leadership: 25
Negotiation: 15
Running: 50
Stealth: 30
Tracking/Wilds: 10
Martial Arts: 10
Melee Weapons: 35
MedTech: 25
Navigation/Ground: 10
Small Arms 20
Survival/Any: 40

A roll of 8 for the Life Path events nets another 20 XP. Not a whole lot, but every little bit helps. The fluff (severely injured) doesn't really match the XP, but that can be taken care of later, or just hand-waved away. The majority of the flex points got put into Wealth to bring it to positive numbers. If I didn't need the wealth and equipped, it would be pretty neat to see where I could go with 130 XP :)

Maelwys

• Major
« Reply #29 on: 16 January 2013, 15:34:05 »
Name: Doctor Angelina Comnenus

Looks pretty interesting. Probably a much easier way of doing it than my way :) Still, cybernetics can be fun :)

CanopusIV

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #30 on: 16 January 2013, 15:38:04 »
Looks pretty interesting. Probably a much easier way of doing it than my way :) Still, cybernetics can be fun :)

Oh, I'll make a cybernetics catgirl character, though it'll definitely be an MIM character.  Believe it or not, I'm really interested to see what you'll come up with :D

CanopusIV

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #31 on: 16 January 2013, 19:42:29 »
Ok, I think I put together a viable candidate as a catgirl operative using cybernetic enhancements. 

A few liberties with the GM would have to be taken into consideration largely because the character has no way of paying for the almost 400,000 C-Bills it cost to equip said catgirl with replacement legs, ears, tail, and hands.  However, I made a compromise by paying the 'Equipped' trait to compensate.  Since she's an operative infiltrating Lyran society, she also got the Beauty Enhancement as well.  Numbers in parenthesis represent the bonus done by enhancements.

Lastly, I did luck out on the lifepath roll with 400 additional xp.  If need be, those points could be made up by reducing Reputation to represent her somewhat scandalous appearance with the people she knows, raising her Enemies to reflect political dealings gone badly, or reduction in Connections representing her relatively new appearance on the Lyran stage.  So without further ado....

Name: Agent Madison Angelis
Height: 5'6"
Weight: 150lbs
Hair: Strawberry-Blonde
Eyes: Green

Origin: Magistracy of Canopus
Early: Nobility (-10xp due to circumstances)
Late: Military School (+20xp due to circumstances)
Edu: Intelligence Operative Training (Basic, Covert Operations)  (+400xp due to circumstances)

ATTRIBUTES:

STR: 300 (500)
BOD: 400
RFL: 400
DEX: 500
INT: 400
WIL: 500
CHA: 600 (700)

SKILLS:

Acting +4 (+5)
Acrobatics/Gymnastics +2 (+3)
Career/Soldier +2
Computers +2
Escape Artist +3
Interest/Cheerleading +2
Interest/Military History +2
Language/English +2
Language/German +2
Language/Greek +0
Leadership +2 (+3)
Martial Arts +1
MedTech +2
Melee Weapons +3 (+5 or +7 if enhancements stack)
Navigation/Ground +2
Negotiation +2 (+3)
Perception +3 (+4)
Protocol/Lyran Alliance +2
Protocol/Magistracy +3
Running +1
Small Arms +3
Streetwise/Lyran +1
Swimming +1
Technician/Cybernetic +1
Tracking/Urban +2

TRAITS:

Attractive 0
Compulsion/Magistracy Loyalty -100
Connections 300
Dark Secret/Spy -300
Enemy -200
Equipped 600
Gregarious 100
Glass Jaw -300
In-For-Life -300
Lost Limb (Legs, hands) -500
Prosthetic Replacement 500
Rank 300
Title 400
Wealth 100

Agent Madison Angelis was born in 3056 to a noble family on Gambilon.  The Angelis family had a long history serving with duty in the 3rd Canopian Light Horse.  The frontier of Canopian space limited her opportunities slightly (EDG -10), but Madison's childhood was relatively normal for someone in her location and position.  Using her family's good name and following their tradition, Madison went to Military School, but managed to secure a position with a prestigious school on Canopus IV (Connection +20).  Naturally outgoing and made of less sturdy stuff than her peers, Madison took an interest in gymnastics, the school's cheer squad, and the speech and debate clubs between her military training.

Disaster struck when she neared the end of her military schooling.  The Word of Blake had occupied Canopus and in the daring raid to rescue Hadji Doru, the school's cadets joined the Resistance and fought against the 42nd Shadow Division.  Unfortunately, it ended badly for Madison as her unit was cut to shreds in a holding action.  As a result, she lost both her legs to a grenade blast, and the Blakist firebombing burnt both her hands as she crawled to safety; barely locating a combat medic before she bled to death.  An Ebon Magistrate Operative recognized her family name in the field hospital, and upon learning of her condition, offered her a choice to join the Magistracy Intelligence Ministry.  She graciously accepted.  Soon after, she was whisked away to a secret base where her prosthetic limbs were applied (+400 Equipped) with her official training occurring soon after.   

Agent Angelis worked with the MIM for the duration of the Jihad before given her current posting on Donegal in Lyran space.  Madison easily slid into Lyran high society with her exotic feline appearance and disarming charisma.  Her aristocratic upbringing has served her well politicking among the Lyrans, and her little black book is full of valuable paramours and contacts.  Among the Lyrans, she is widely regarded as an eccentric, but gorgeous courtesan representing the best that the backwater Magistracy has to offer.  Her cybernetics are seen as 'a Magistracy eccentricity' that were added after being maimed in battle, and they are thus tolerated in her social sphere.  The reality however is that her cybernetic enhancements make her a dangerous assassin, a sublime information gatherer, and subtle manipulator of Lyran politics.

Her cybernetic enhancements include:

Two cybernetic, feline legs.
An enhanced, prosthetic tail.
Enhanced cybernetic cat ears (with radio and audio recorder)
Two cybernetic hands with retractable claws.

Madison still suffers from the trauma her body underwent, is fiercely loyal to the Magistracy who gave her her life back, and will be forever indebted to the MIM.  She works best as an elite infiltrator and uses her appearance and countenance to simultaneously win her friends while maintaining her lethality as a combat soldier.
« Last Edit: 16 January 2013, 20:06:39 by CanopusIV »

Maelwys

• Major
« Reply #32 on: 17 January 2013, 00:20:43 »
Due to being under the weather, I'm probably not going to post the next part, simply because I don't really feel up to doing math :)

I did want to discuss the "Random Life events" chart. I've managed to roll decently on it, netting 300 points for the third stage (go go dice). And it seems incredibly powerful. Sure, I could've rolled a -300, which would actually work for this character, but I can't help but wonder if these random events don't work as well as they did in third.

CanopusIV

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #33 on: 17 January 2013, 01:11:54 »
Due to being under the weather, I'm probably not going to post the next part, simply because I don't really feel up to doing math :)

I did want to discuss the "Random Life events" chart. I've managed to roll decently on it, netting 300 points for the third stage (go go dice). And it seems incredibly powerful. Sure, I could've rolled a -300, which would actually work for this character, but I can't help but wonder if these random events don't work as well as they did in third.

Awwww, feel better, hun.  Truth be told, I feel a little guilty when I get a roll that gives me a huge xp boost.  I rolled an 11 in Stage 3 which was a 12 with the modifier I had.  With the first character I built, the bonuses gave me about a +4% bonus to the character.  A few bad rolls could make a character unplayable pretty fast and it IS biased towards 'affluent' backgrounds.  Before if you spent an EDG point, you could reroll or add another die.  It's not ideal by far, but it does add that missing element that they took out.

Maelwys

• Major
« Reply #34 on: 18 January 2013, 01:38:31 »
Okay, I haven't really been able to do the optimizing steps, but its worth looking at the end of the third stage life path. Considering she's going to be MIM, Intelligence Operative Training with Basic Training and Covert Operations is a natural choice.

Attributes
BOD: 290 (Min 5)
REF: 215
INT: 145 (Min 4)
WIL: 300 (Min 5)

Traits
Alternate ID: 50
Combat Sense: 80
Connections: 230 (Min +2)
Equipped: 110
Wealth: 300

Compulsion/Paranoid: -20
Enemy: -40
In For Life: -300

Skills
Language/Spanish: 20
Perception: 85
Protocol/MoC: 40
Streetwise/MoC: 90
Leadership: 25
Negotiation: 15
Running: 50
Career/Any: 30
Computers: 20
Escape Artist: 30
Stealth: 30
Tracking/Wilds: 40
Acting: 65
Martial Arts: 40
Melee Weapons: 35
MedTech: 55
Navigation/Ground: 40
Small Arms 50
Survival/Any: 40

So here we go. The end of the Life Paths. The 300 from the Events Roll really helps boost Equipped and Wealth, though they're still going to take some work. I picked up some more minimums, though thankfully the Intelligence School provides all the points needed for its Connections Minimum. Some pretty nice skills as well, though I realize that they're probably mostly at +1 or +2, though I'm rather impressed with Perception and Streetwise.

I'm also rather surprised that I managed to come out with so few negative traits. The ones I have are doozies mind you, but there aren't that many.

CanopusIV

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #35 on: 18 January 2013, 02:16:11 »
Looks pretty good so far.  Maybe having the ultra lucky roll on the Life Events roll might help account for the rarity of catgirl cybernetics.  Meaning, only the luckiest or most suitable agents are the ones who get the upgrades.  I had the bonuses too, but I also ended up with a lot of bad traits at the end of creation.

Hope you're also feeling better

Maelwys

• Major
« Reply #36 on: 18 January 2013, 19:01:01 »
I may have messed one or two things up...going to have to recrunch some numbers.

So I was rereading some passages and...

Can I not buy off Illiterate, except for getting +4 in a language? No slipping in 100 points to buy it off during chargen (though admittedly, slipping in 100 points is probably enough to get your character to +4 in a language...)

BirdofPrey

• Major
« Reply #37 on: 18 January 2013, 20:29:40 »
I don't remember seeing anything that said you couldn't by it off (does it say somewhere you can't directly buy off negative traits?).  it just says that +4 in language eliminates it as if it were an opposing trait.

Maelwys

• Major
« Reply #38 on: 18 January 2013, 21:17:50 »
I don't remember seeing anything that said you couldn't by it off (does it say somewhere you can't directly buy off negative traits?).  it just says that +4 in language eliminates it as if it were an opposing trait.

Its one of those odd things. I had the sudden feeling that the only way you could buy off a negative trait was by effectively purchasing an opposing positive trait, but rereading the examples has one considering buying off a compulsion, so I guess you can just buy off negative traits.

Of course, thinking about it rationally, rather than buying off the trait you might as well just use the points to improve a language skill :)

BirdofPrey

• Major
« Reply #39 on: 18 January 2013, 21:20:11 »
It would make sense to have decent language skills (in multiple languages) considering this is supposed to be an Operative.

Maelwys

• Major
« Reply #40 on: 18 January 2013, 21:28:52 »
Would have, yeah. Annoyingly, the Back Woods and Adolescent Warfare paths pretty much ate into the secondary language skills :) We'll have to see how the points wind up.

Maelwys

• Major
« Reply #41 on: 19 January 2013, 02:03:36 »
So after some confused math, I think I figured out the stats for the character atleast. Gear to follow, and then after that, fleshing the character out.

Attributes
STR: 400
BOD: 500
REF: 400
DEX: 400
INT: 400
WIL: 500
CHA: 500

Traits
Connections: +2
Equipped: +8
Wealth: +10

Compulsion/Paranoid: -1
Enemy: -1
In For Life: -3
Lost Limb: -5

Skills
Language/Spanish: +0
Language/Mandarin: +0
Language/English: +4
Perception: +3
Protocol/MoC: +1
Streetwise/MoC: +3
Leadership: +0
Negotiation: +1
Running: +2
Career/Pleasure Circus: +0
Career/Spy +1
Computers: +0
Escape Artist: +1
Stealth: +1
Tracking/Wilds: +1
Acting: +2
Investigation: +0
Martial Arts: +2
Melee Weapons: +2
MedTech: +2
Navigation/Ground: +1
Small Arms: +2
Survival/Any: +1

As you can see, I dumped alot of points into English to ditch the Illiterate trait. I figured since I was buying it off, I might as well get the skill points. Is it just me, or does illiteracy really seem like it should be worth more points? I also added another language to show the Capellan influence on the Magistracy, as well as the Investigation skill, just to help her when she's poking around. The skill bonuses perhaps aren't the greatest, but for a starting, fresh out of the academy character, there's always room to grow.

The Wealth and the Equipped traits hurt my points. I'll freely admit that, though I think the character turned out alright, though there will be a few more changes as I work on the equipment. I would've liked to have picked up Gregarious and Fit, but it just wasn't in the cards this time around.

Thoughts/feelings? Gear will be next, that was the other big mistake I think I made (like assuming that eyes and ears came in pairs, instead of singles :) )

CanopusIV

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #42 on: 19 January 2013, 02:06:13 »
I'm also fairly certain that any outfit that supplies you with cybernetics that cost more than some towns produce in a year would want to make sure you could read...

But no, if you have a language at +4 that's essentially 120 xp.  The ability to speak any language is 20xp, so you have in a way already paid out the illiteracy drawback.  I think the text also states that by that point you're using an advanced vocabulary so I would think it'd be safe to say you can read.

If I were the GM, I would allow for the language buying out the illiteracy myself.

CanopusIV

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #43 on: 19 January 2013, 02:09:50 »
Well, with your wealth and equipped so high, I'd say you could personally afford them and wouldn't need the In For Life as it is.  As a GM, I wouldn't make the player pay the cost of the enhancements if they were working as an agent.  As it stands, you could have afforded them on your own which takes a significant chunk of points away from the advanced skills you'd need as an elite agent.

Still, you put together a great concept! 

BirdofPrey

• Major
« Reply #44 on: 19 January 2013, 02:44:29 »
A single lost limb at -5 eh?
You realize that's a single arm or leg right?

Also, your missing the Prosthesis trait(s) for the cybernetics.

Tai Dai Cultist

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #45 on: 19 January 2013, 11:03:05 »

I just got my copy yesterday.. the cosmetic augmentation stuff caught my eye, too.  Upon reading more closely, you're not actually *stuck* as a mermaid or centaur or whatever.  The cosmetic augmentation  implants hookups into you, which accept the cybernetic augmentations.  You become an omnihuman, of sorts :D  You can take off the fish half and resume use of your legs whenever you want.

And the catgirl secret agent can pop off her ears and tail whenever they're TOO ridiculous to wear, and be a good bit more subtle around neko-haters.

Maelwys

• Major
« Reply #46 on: 19 January 2013, 13:04:59 »
Well, with your wealth and equipped so high, I'd say you could personally afford them and wouldn't need the In For Life as it is.  As a GM, I wouldn't make the player pay the cost of the enhancements if they were working as an agent.  As it stands, you could have afforded them on your own which takes a significant chunk of points away from the advanced skills you'd need as an elite agent.

Still, you put together a great concept!

Thanks. I can definitely see the argument of not paying for the enhancements if you're part of the organization (in fact, I think the Companion mentions something sort of similar, but they also suggest making the character take both body AND willpower at 7+. Which just wasn't happening :) ). But even though I'm purchasing the cybernetics myself, the character concept is still working with the MIM/EM, so I think the In For Life still applies in this case.

Though that might be an interesting bonus to chargen to show the purchasing power that your In For Life might give you. Add your In For Life points to your Wealth and/or your Equipped trait to determine what you can purchase (well, add the positive value of your In For Life trait points...y'all know what I mean).

A single lost limb at -5 eh?
You realize that's a single arm or leg right?

Also, your missing the Prosthesis trait(s) for the cybernetics.

Yeah, I know. But honestly, I'm not sure you can make a character with multiple missing (large) limbs from the basic rules. Maybe if you get really unlucky with the optional Life Stage Event rolls, but even then... So I took a single one at -5 to show the concept more than to follow the rules completely. Maybe once I purchase the cybernetics I'll add in the traits.

As for missing the Prosthetics traits..true. But I'm sort of confused on that issue. Do I have to spend both money and XP on Prosthetics? Can I just decide to buy the Prosthetics, which will net me the trait?

BirdofPrey

• Major
« Reply #47 on: 19 January 2013, 13:15:29 »
I took the rules for implant/prosthetic to be just like the ones for vehicle.  You put XP into the trait and what you get out of it is based on the TP.  The costs are for if you are trying to acquire something in game during the campaign.

Maelwys

• Major
« Reply #48 on: 19 January 2013, 15:28:26 »
Sure, but the Vehicle Trait is for units that are too expensive (for the most part) for someone to purchase using the Wealth rules. If a PC can afford to purchase the items simply by using their starting resources, why shouldn't they be able to?

CanopusIV

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #49 on: 19 January 2013, 15:34:48 »
The other tricky bit is that you can opt to have your vehicle to have malfunctions or performance issues to lower the cost.  A hovertank costs 100xp, another 200xp to own, which you could have a 'bad reputation' and you could get 100xp back.  Consequently, if you just wanted to purchase one, you'd have to have quite a high point value in wealth and equipped.

In a way, I think something similar should belong to cybernetics if you wish to start out with them, but the caveat being you're in someone else's control.  While it is possible to start with them, it doesn't make for powerful characters at the get-go.  Were it my game, I'd allow the PC to have cybernetics, but they'd have to pay the wealth and equipped traits.  If they were a part of an organization, I'd have them just pay the equipped trait to represent the equipment they have at their disposal, but have them include an In-For-Life with getting away rather tricky.

I get the impression that cybernetics are something you build up to or have entire story arcs to acquire them.  I think at its heart, it becomes a GM issue and largely up to how they interpret it.

Maelwys

• Major
« Reply #50 on: 19 January 2013, 18:33:24 »
Hard to believe that even with the 2 million from Wealth 10, when I finished the revised look at the cybernetics (remembering that I needed 2 eyes and 2 ears), the character was still 40,000 c-bills over the limit. Oops :)

Well, I don't suppose they all have to be Type 5 cybernetic implants, though its sort of a shame. On the other hand, dropping from a cybernetic eye to a Type 4 Bionic eye frees up 180,000. Was tempting to do a speech implant, but I decided to use it for other gear instead (I suppose if I really wanted to, I could drop one of the Ears to simply bionic instead, and use the saved money for a communications implant).  Interestingly, all of the recording/transmitting/communications implants are legality F. Not quite sure why. Unfortunately, the pheromone effuser is Legality F as well, with a WoB affiliation, putting it out of reach for a starting character.

With 8 points of Equipped, I'm able to (after the modification for a Periphery affiliation) buy equipment with ratings of up to E/F-F-F/F. Though even I have to admit, this sort of got silly after a while. Still, its a fun exercise :)

Myomer Replacement Arm
   Cosmetic Treatment
   Climbing Claws (Retractable)
   Laser
   Secondary Power Supply
Myomer Replacement Arm
   Cosmetic Treatment
   Vibroblade
   Secondary Power Supply
Myomer Replacement Leg
   Cosmetic Treatment
   Secondary Power Supply
   Holster
Myomer Replacement Leg
   Cosmetic Treatment
   Secondary Power Supply
   Microcomputer
Cybernetic Eye (IR)
   Cosmetic Treatment
Type 4 Bionic Eye
   Cosmetic Treatment
Cybernetic Ear (Enhanced)
   Cosmetic Treatment
Cybernetic Ear (Enhanced)
   Cosmetic Treatment
Cosmetic Beauty Enhancement
Prosthetic Tail
Recorder Unit
Communications Unit

All this (assuming I haven't screwed up on the math somewhere) leaves the character with 165K+ c-bills, so I'm not too worried about not having cash for armor (appropriately modified), clothing, spy gear, weapons, and maybe even a pair of Glide Wings so there can be a Catgirl flying through the air of Hardcore. If I were playing this out as a normal character more than a thought experiment, I'd probably purchase a set of Type IV arms and legs (eyes and ears are stuck, too expensive to get a new set), so she could walk around with a little less attention.

In the next few days I'll try to put everything together and flesh out the background of the character and stick it up in one nice neat sheet :)

BirdofPrey

• Major
« Reply #51 on: 20 January 2013, 20:08:32 »
Not bad.

Still it seems so strange to me that you paid out of pocket.  I would think the parts would be owned by the employer/sponsor generally, but I can't really think of another way to do it aside from taking TP away from wealth and equiped and putting it into Implant/Prosthetic, but then it wouldn't go as far since Myomer prosthetics are 5TP a piece.

On a side note, it would be interesting if you put in some prosthetic leg MASC.  I am assuming since it's WOB the rating for you to aquire would be E/X-X-X/F due to you being of a different affiliation, so that crushes that idea.
« Last Edit: 20 January 2013, 20:20:17 by BirdofPrey »

Maelwys

• Major
« Reply #52 on: 20 January 2013, 21:28:49 »
Not bad.

Thanks. I forgot both playoff games were today, otherwise I might have gotten some work done on the character :)

Still it seems so strange to me that you paid out of pocket.  I would think the parts would be owned by the employer/sponsor generally, but I can't really think of another way to do it aside from taking TP away from wealth and equiped and putting it into Implant/Prosthetic, but then it wouldn't go as far since Myomer prosthetics are 5TP a piece.

Exactly. If I were just picking up a single augmentation then I'd probably go for the trait. But such an augmented character concept requires more than what the Trait system will provide. Which I think is a good thing. It gives you multiple ways of doing things, giving the system a bit more flexibility. Of course, going the Trait route has its own advantages. As far as I can tell, the trait doesn't care about Affiliation. So while some items are off-limits to me due to the rules of how equipment ratings interact with Affiliations, if I were using Trait points, those items wouldn't be off-limits.

And to be honest, the fluff of the character probably demands that those items belong to the MIM/EB, even though I've used Wealth to buy them. Its the only way it makes sense. The Wealth Trait is just the best (only)  way to actually get the items. I'm sort of reminded of Shadowrun, where characters can start out with hundreds of thousands of nuyen (or in 3rd, 1 million nuyen). This doesn't mean the character was a millionaire before they started everything, its just a way of measuring what they've managed to acquire up to that point.

On a side note, it would be interesting if you put in some prosthetic leg MASC.  I am assuming since it's WOB the rating for you to aquire would be E/X-X-X/F due to you being of a different affiliation, so that crushes that idea.

Yeah, quite a few of the WoB implants are just out of reach at chargen due to the way the Equipment Ratings change when interacting with Affiliations.  I did look at the prosthetic leg MASC, and found the same issue as the Pheromone Effuser and Boosted communication systems.

CanopusIV

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #53 on: 20 January 2013, 22:08:49 »
You also took a much more cybernetic outfitting than the character I made.  I used the cybernetics to enhance what was already there, whereas you Maelwys created an entire entity from the ground up.  Heh, and whereas I was ok with the Beauty Enhancement, you wanted a pheromone effuser.

BirdofPrey

• Major
« Reply #54 on: 20 January 2013, 22:15:07 »
To be honest I wasn't expecting quite so much of a rebuild.  I was thinking more along the lines of a new pair of legs and some ears.

CanopusIV

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #55 on: 20 January 2013, 22:44:06 »
To be honest I wasn't expecting quite so much of a rebuild.  I was thinking more along the lines of a new pair of legs and some ears.

Well, if nothing else Maelwys demonstrated the ability to do the great overhaul.  That character is probably more advanced in cybernetics than I'd ever want to have on a character I play. 

BirdofPrey

• Major
« Reply #56 on: 20 January 2013, 22:46:05 »
The average group wouldn't have that many cybernetics across all the PCs and any associated NPCs

CanopusIV

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #57 on: 20 January 2013, 22:55:01 »
The average group wouldn't have that many cybernetics across all the PCs and any associated NPCs

Hahaha, probably not, no.  After the Companion though, I think I prefer the Mutant trait that gives you ears and a tail.  The benefits and drawbacks are described with no ambiguity and it's the closest thing I think you can get.  Though I think seeing a tail wouldn't be as shocking the more time you spend around it.

Maelwys

• Major
« Reply #58 on: 20 January 2013, 23:23:59 »
You also took a much more cybernetic outfitting than the character I made.  I used the cybernetics to enhance what was already there, whereas you Maelwys created an entire entity from the ground up.  Heh, and whereas I was ok with the Beauty Enhancement, you wanted a pheromone effuser.

*nod* I can definitely see why some people would think its a bit much. Though again, its more of a thought exercise than anything else. I'm not quite sure I'd ever go this far for a character (though it does have possibilities). I will admit that the Recorder, MicroComputer, Communications Unit, the Holster and 2 of the Secondary Power Supplies were added as an afterthought when I was fiddling around with money :)

And the character was based partially on the picture on page 188 of the Companion. Which means legs, arms, tail, ears, and technically a glidewing at some point. And what's the point of doing a catgirl if you don't get the catseyes? :)

Well, if nothing else Maelwys demonstrated the ability to do the great overhaul.  That character is probably more advanced in cybernetics than I'd ever want to have on a character I play. 

Its quite a few for BT, I'll grant you that. Probably be a pain in the ass to get healed/repaired if something seriously goes wrong.

One thing that does surprise me is that the CapCon cybernetics aren't CC/MoC.. I guess maybe that's because they were mostly limited to the Thuggees.

Hahaha, probably not, no.  After the Companion though, I think I prefer the Mutant trait that gives you ears and a tail.  The benefits and drawbacks are described with no ambiguity and it's the closest thing I think you can get.  Though I think seeing a tail wouldn't be as shocking the more time you spend around it.

Are the genetic traits explained anywhere? I know there's a separate trait for Mutants, but the Implant/Prosthetic trait has a few "Genetic Enhancements" mentioned (6E, 6X, 6S), but there isn't anything that really details them. I assume those are just up to the GM and player. Though I wonder at the difference between an Improved Genetic Enhancement and a Exotic one (Basic is just an existing trait).

CanopusIV

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #59 on: 20 January 2013, 23:38:42 »
Page 53 of the Companion lists a range of mutation features.

The mutation at -3 lists "functional tail and mobile ears" which states that you need to have modified helmets and legwear, but you receive the Good Hearing trait for free.  You do suffer a -3 CHA modifier if someone sees your tail or a -1 if anyone sees your ears move.

I would think after awhile having a tail wouldn't be so shocking, nor would having ears be that unsettling.  Like a lot of the negative traits, they can be diminished in the proper setting as long as you play your character cautiously.

I did notice they had at +1 "Exotic, but pleasing skin hair and eye tones."  I guess that means you can recreate an Orion Slavegirl from Star Trek, but at 100xp, it has no difference than just boosting your charisma.

BirdofPrey

• Major
« Reply #60 on: 20 January 2013, 23:48:51 »
Speaking of that holster.  I am confused as to how that's supposed to work.
Most situations are going to find your characters wearing something that covers their legs, and I would hazard to guess guns are not something accepted at most pool parties and beaches.

Are the genetic traits explained anywhere? I know there's a separate trait for Mutants, but the Implant/Prosthetic trait has a few "Genetic Enhancements" mentioned (6E, 6X, 6S), but there isn't anything that really details them. I assume those are just up to the GM and player. Though I wonder at the difference between an Improved Genetic Enhancement and a Exotic one (Basic is just an existing trait).
Interesting question.  There is some mention of genetic modifications on page 51, and its listed in the table on page 178, but all I can see is that 6E (basic genetic enhancement, 8TP) is that it grants certain traits such as good vision or toughness (to which the question becomes, why? since you can already get those traits).  6S (improved enhancements 9TP) and 6X (exotic/experimental enhancements 10TP) aren't mentioned outside the tables from what I can find.

Might want to ask the devs about that.

CanopusIV

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #61 on: 20 January 2013, 23:52:58 »
Maybe it's meant to actually be a genuine mermaid or genuine saytr or bird person as the result of genetic engineering.  Of course, that would also mean listing the traits you'd receive as a result, and in the end they don't give you any info about it.

Yes, that would be something worth asking the Devs about...

BirdofPrey

• Major
« Reply #62 on: 21 January 2013, 00:00:46 »
One thing to note, though is that type S is supposed to be Survival type stuff, so Improved Genetic Enhancements (6S) would ostensibly be something relating to making life easier in hostile environments.  Could be genetic enhancements to reduce bone decalcification and muscle atrophy in low gravity worlds, a higher tolerance to toxins or improved strength and stamina on high gravity worlds

X is extreme, so that would probably be merfolk genetics.
I do wonder if the prototype phenotypes would count as 6X or 6E, though, but Era Digest: Golden Century predates A Time of War Companion

On a side note, I think basic genetic enhancements (6E) would be a great thing if it could boost an otherwise normal human's maximum attribute scores by one, then you could combine that with exceptional attribute and actually be able to get a +2 link modifier on something other than charisma.  A huge expenditure in XP, to be sure, but an interesting thought experiment that would at least make exceptional attribute of a bit more use.

CanopusIV

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #63 on: 21 January 2013, 00:03:12 »
Also true, but by that point you're approaching Clan level heights of genetic engineering which were perfected over decades if not centuries by tens of thousands of scientists.  You might actually be better off using machines to increase your strength than you would be to try and use genetic engineering.

BirdofPrey

• Major
« Reply #64 on: 21 January 2013, 00:09:02 »
Well it does mention the Star League and their Genecaste.  The core of the rules are time agnostic even if the life paths themselves fit into the late Jihad period.

It really does depend on the time period and where the character is.
Since we have Age of war supplements, we can make characters in the right time period.
« Last Edit: 21 January 2013, 00:10:56 by BirdofPrey »

CanopusIV

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #65 on: 21 January 2013, 00:12:04 »
Well, it's also somewhat vague as to how, when and where the mutations came from.  I'd imagine the Star League participated in some sort of high level genetics engineering, but they could have been the sort of traits that only propped up a dozen generations after the original participants got the therapies.

In the end, it's pretty open ended for a reason.  If you want to play a genetic mutant in Battletech you can do it, even if it doesn't make the most sense. 

Maelwys

• Major
« Reply #66 on: 21 January 2013, 00:28:31 »
Page 53 of the Companion lists a range of mutation features.

Yeah, but I'm looking for the Genetic stuff from the Implant/Prosthetic traits, rather than the Genetic stuff from the Mutation trait :)

Maybe it's meant to actually be a genuine mermaid or genuine saytr or bird person as the result of genetic engineering.  Of course, that would also mean listing the traits you'd receive as a result, and in the end they don't give you any info about it.

Presumably the Exotic Genetic Enhancement is equal to the Fish people from the recent Interstellar Expeditions book. In which case, I'm definitely guessing its "Ask your GM to come up with what you get." I was just surprised that there are actually 3 levels of it, with only 1 level mentioned.

Speaking of that holster.  I am confused as to how that's supposed to work.

I assume its sort of like Robocop's. I wasn't sure about adding it, just sort of did it on a whim. Presumably if you're going to be using something like it, you'd prepare ahead. Pants with slits up the legs, or velcro seals, etc.

BirdofPrey

• Major
« Reply #67 on: 21 January 2013, 00:35:09 »
It could be useful if it allows you to place the weapon fully inside the limb in question.  Then you are always armed even if you aren't wearing anything.  If I had a bionic leg i'd put a derginer in there just in case.
How do you draw your weapon from it quickly though (grants +2 to prestidigitation/quickdraw)? Maybe if it were a holster in an arm, but I'd just as soon attach the weapon to the arm.

Maelwys

• Major
« Reply #68 on: 21 January 2013, 00:58:07 »
Well, according to "Guide to Covert Ops" (god I hate opening this book), the holster is "a concealed, mechanical fast draw holster for a full-sized pistol or short blade can be mounted in a prosthetic leg, typically in the thigh section where sufficient space can be found without sacrificing the use of the limb."

So presumably the weapon is completely hidden.

BirdofPrey

• Major
« Reply #69 on: 21 January 2013, 01:20:13 »
I was going to say 'meh' to your comment in the AToWC thread about not having fluff, but I can see now how it might be useful, even if it is low priority.

The rules in AToWC for that item, doesn't limit it to legs nor does it mention that the weapon is concealed, though I would automatically assume the latter would apply at least.

CanopusIV

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #70 on: 21 January 2013, 14:01:54 »
Sounds like Robocop's gun if it's holstered in your thigh.

BirdofPrey

• Major
« Reply #71 on: 21 January 2013, 17:35:56 »
Indeed, but the difference is robocop didn't wear pants.

CanopusIV

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #72 on: 21 January 2013, 17:37:40 »
Indeed, but the difference is robocop didn't wear pants.

Hahaha, true, though I'd think similar things of a lascivious feline augmented agent with a Beauty Enhancement and Pheromone Effusers.  Or just wearing skirts for that matter.  That's how I'd get around it.

BirdofPrey

• Major
« Reply #73 on: 21 January 2013, 17:54:30 »
I'm just not seeing someone quick drawing from under a skirt, though.

Minor nitpick, though.  Doesn't really affect things too much, but it bugs me enough that if I were GMing I'd probably replace the quickdraw trait with concealable unless the character somehow finds herself in a firefight wearing a bikini.

Maingunnery

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #74 on: 21 January 2013, 18:11:55 »

Minor nitpick, though.  Doesn't really affect things too much, but it bugs me enough that if I were GMing I'd probably replace the quickdraw trait with concealable unless the character somehow finds herself in a firefight wearing a bikini.
Dirty Pair?

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Miss Chitty finds your honor rules quaint.
« Reply #75 on: 21 January 2013, 18:28:08 »
Hahaha, true, though I'd think similar things of a lascivious feline augmented agent with a Beauty Enhancement and Pheromone Effusers.  Or just wearing skirts for that matter.  That's how I'd get around it.

It is Canopus after all...
Good news is the lab boys say the symptoms of asbestos poisoning show an immediate latency of 44.6 years. So if you're thirty or over you're laughing. Worst case scenario you miss out on a few rounds of canasta, plus you've forwarded the cause of science by three centuries. I punch those numbers into my calculator, it makes a happy face.

(indirect accessory to the) Slayer of Monitors!

idea weenie

• Major
« Reply #76 on: 22 January 2013, 01:33:56 »

Have the skirt slit up to the hip.  Everyone looking at her can see the weapon, in a quick-draw rig, but after talking to her a few minutes and smelling her 'perfume', they forget all about it.

Of course, as a Catgirl, she isn't going to be carrying some obscene monster gun, especially in a quick-draw rig.  I'd see something slim-line, probably an energy weapon or needler.

guardiandashi

• Major
« Reply #77 on: 22 January 2013, 01:47:34 »
depends if she wants to go "Cute" or "terminator"

sorry for some reason I all of a sudden had a flash of a rifts char I played for years (and various anime's)

for those times when you want your  target dead we have the shemarian rail gun...

for those times when you absolutely positively want your target dead, and "disintegrations" are acceptable, we have the syncro cannon in a shemarian rail gun shell (note dimensional pocket required to make it fit extra)

BirdofPrey

• Major
« Reply #78 on: 22 January 2013, 13:05:36 »
depends if she wants to go "Cute" or "terminator"
Or?

Go watch The Sarah Conner Chronicles.
===
Anyways remember there's a concealed laser gun in one of those arms and a blade in the other.  The one in the leg is for when you have an emergency during your emergency.

Maelwys

• Major
« Reply #79 on: 22 January 2013, 13:54:15 »
Have the skirt slit up to the hip.  Everyone looking at her can see the weapon, in a quick-draw rig, but after talking to her a few minutes and smelling her 'perfume', they forget all about it.

Of course, as a Catgirl, she isn't going to be carrying some obscene monster gun, especially in a quick-draw rig.  I'd see something slim-line, probably an energy weapon or needler.

With the internal holster, they can't even see that much, even if the skirt is slit that high. Though I was thinking something like harem pants. Tight around the lower leg, puffy and loose around the top, with a breakaway slit in the side when necessary. I think Cassie Southern uses something similar in one of the books and hides her kris beneath.

Almost done with the character. Just sorting out bonuses and fluff. Not quite sure why I'm suddenly looking up info on 2750 forces, but tangents must be followed.

CanopusIV

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #80 on: 22 January 2013, 18:02:51 »
I'd have personally gone with mini-skirt, blouse and loafers to get the the catgirl-schoolgirl look.  Chances are you're not looking for a concealed weapon in the thigh with an outfit like that.  Generally speaking, if you dress in a blouse, plaid skirt, and loafers, you're going to get stares regardless if you look good in it or not....often with lascivious intent.

Maelwys

• Major
« Reply #81 on: 25 January 2013, 17:16:42 »
Better late than never. There's some trickery with the implants and the lost limb traits I agree, but since there isn't a GM to tell me "no!" I think I can justify it :)

Name: Catherine Annette Thompson
Height: 5'4
Weight: 130
Hair: Brunette
Eyes: Golden Cat Eyes (Implant)
Affiliation: Nagistracy of Canopus

ATTRIBUTES
STR: 4 (5)
BOD: 5
RFL: 4
DEX: 4
INT: 4
WIL: 5
CHA: 5 (6)
EDG: 3

TRAITS
Attractive: +2
Compulsion/Paranoid: -1
Connections: +2
Enemy: -1
Equipped: +8
In For Life: -3
Lost Limb: -5 (RA) (Effectively +0 with implant)
Lost Limb: -5 (LA) (Effectively +0 with implant)
Lost Limb: -5 (RL) (Effectively +0 with implant)
Lost Limb: -5 (LL) (Effectively +0 with implant)
Poor Vision: -9 (Effectively -1 with implant)
Poor Hearing: -5 (Effectively -1 with implant)
Wealth: +10

SKILLS
Language/English: +4
Language/Spanish: +0
Language/Mandarin: +0
Perception: +3 (+5)
Protocol/MoC: +1
Streetwise/MoC: +3
Leadership: +0 (+1)
Negotiation: +1 (+2)
Running: +2
Career/Spy: +1
Career/Pleasure Circus: +0
Computers: +0 (+1)
Escape Artist: +1
Stealth: +1
Tracking: +1
Acting: +2 (+3)
Investigation: +0
Martial Arts: +2
Melee Weapons: +2
MedTech: +2
Navigation/Ground: +1
Small Arms: +2
Survival/Arctic: +1

Climb: +2 (bonus provided by implants, but doesn't have the actual skill)
Acrobatics: +1 (bonus provided by implants, but doesn't have the actual skill).

IMPLANTS
Myomer Replacement Arm REMOVABLE; BAR 3/4/4/3 (Implant +6)
   Cosmetic Treatment
   Laser (3E/2; 3PPS)
   Secondary Power Supply (80 power points) (Implant +5)
Myomer Replacement Arm REMOVABLE; BAR 3/4/4/3 (Implant +6)
   Cosmetic Treatment
   Vibroblade (4M/2, 1 PPS)
Myomer Replacement Leg REMOVABLE; BAR 3/4/4/3 (Implant +6)
   Cosmetic Treatment
   Holster
Myomer Replacement Leg REMOVABLE; BAR 3/4/4/3 (Implant +6)
   Cosmetic Treatment
   Microcomputer
Cybernetic Eye (IR) (Ignore Darkness Modifiers) (Implant +6)
   Cosmetic Treatment
Type 4 Bionic Eye (Implant +4)
   Cosmetic Treatment
Cybernetic Ear (Enhanced) (Can detect Ultrasonic Frequencies) (Implant +6)
   Cosmetic Treatment
Cybernetic Ear (Enhanced) (Implant +6)
   Cosmetic Treatment
Cosmetic Beauty Enhancement (Implant +6)
Prosthetic Tail (Whip AP/BD 1M/7; 2/2/2/2) (Implant +5)
Recorder Unit (Records 12 hours of audio or visual, or 6 hours both) (Implant +6)
Communications Unit (Receive and trasmit, 100m) (Implant +6)

GEAR

BACKGROUND
Born in the back woods of Vixen, Annette's early life was similar to many who had grown up in the Magistracy during the past hundred years. Her education was limited and ended early, even with the advances the Magistracy was making due to the Trinity Alliance. He time was spent learning to hunt and track and survive in
Vixen's wilderness. Her future was limited, perhaps working at one of the many resorts that had been popping up on Vixen, or working as a guide for wealthy tourists.

And then came the Jihad. While Vixen didn't suffer from the same degree of ravishment that the Core Worlds of the Magistracy felt by the WoB, it was still targeted at times by raiders, mercenaries and WoB troops. Annette's knowledge of the wilderness and her age let her get to places where others couldn't. She could do things and not be suspected, while others lulled the attackers into a false sense of security. She ghosted across Vixen delivering messages and running supplies and even occasionally fighting when cornered. And then everything went wrong again. Perhaps it was a remnants of the 41st Shadow Division, or a terror cell left behind to sew choas, or maybe it was just a WoB trooper with a fondness for flamers and infernos, but during the Magistracy's cleanup during the Jihad, Annette was seriously wonded, splashed by napalm from an incendiary weapon, leaving her horribly scarred and mutilated. Magistracy medical attention kept her alive, but the implants necessary for her to have a normal life would cost more than she had. The Magistracy could help, but it would take time as they rebuilt from the horrors of the Jihad.

Her salvation would come with the appearance of a group of individuals in MAF uniforms with MIM insignias. They would educate her. Rebuild her. Give her purpose. She would work for them and the Magistracy, making it safe from the likes of the WoB and the Manei Domini, and anyone else that threatened the Magistracy. She accepted and they spared no expense, rebuilding her to better serve the Magistracy by gathering information in the new Inner Sphere that the Jihad left behind. Due to the nature of the extensive rebuilding that she needed, the MIM crafted her bionics to let her fit into the famed Canopian Pleasure Circuses. They would hide her in plain sight, crfting weaponry and computer assists into her limbs, while implanted communication technology allowed her to remain in contact with the MIM. Her earliest exploits in the Circuses allowed her to recover detailed information that let the Magistracy come out ahead of several trade deals that were crafted with newly independent planets from the FWL.

Cik

• Corporal
« Reply #82 on: 12 February 2013, 15:07:48 »

Maelwys

• Major
« Reply #83 on: 12 February 2013, 22:22:16 »
Looks about right to me...

CanopusIV

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #84 on: 14 February 2013, 20:58:49 »
...yeah, that's about 100% right actually.  Well done!

RunandFindOut

• Lieutenant
« Reply #85 on: 14 February 2013, 21:32:05 »
Aww, reminds me of my cat, he leaves dead rattlesnakes on the front porch for me.  Sometimes they aren't entirely dead, then I'm very glad I wear thick boots as I stomp their heads in.

The female just leaves dead squirrels and crap, you know you're loved when they bring you poisonous snakes.