Author Topic: Armored Fightning Vehicles MK III  (Read 240521 times)

The Eagle

• Captain
  • This is what peak performance looks like!
Re: Armored Fightning Vehicles MK III
« Reply #270 on: 10 April 2017, 20:03:41 »
So what is that exactly?  A Long Tom Artillery Cannon, two LAC/5's and a MG?

You forgot the missiles.  There's a box launcher mounted next to the MG.  Looks like maybe an SRM4 for close-in defense?
RIP Dan Schulz, 09 November 2009.  May the Albatross ever fly high.

Hit me up for BattleTech in the WV Panhandle!

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #271 on: 10 April 2017, 20:17:09 »
I did miss those... I wonder if Thunderbolts can be done as OS launchers...

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Miss Chitty finds your honor rules quaint.
« Reply #272 on: 10 April 2017, 20:37:49 »
If it's so Spetznatz, can it do a backflip tomahawk throw?  :P
Good news is the lab boys say the symptoms of asbestos poisoning show an immediate latency of 44.6 years. So if you're thirty or over you're laughing. Worst case scenario you miss out on a few rounds of canasta, plus you've forwarded the cause of science by three centuries. I punch those numbers into my calculator, it makes a happy face.

(indirect accessory to the) Slayer of Monitors!

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #273 on: 10 April 2017, 20:38:46 »
More like a Gauss Rifle, two RAC-2s, and a Magshot.

With more spike!
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Kidd

• Major
« Reply #274 on: 10 April 2017, 21:37:31 »
Not that amazingly far-fetched, considering the MBT-70 that could have been also mounted an autocannon secondary weapon...

If it's so Spetznatz, can it do a backflip tomahawk throw?  :P
Yes, but only after it transforms into this guy:

Sabelkatten

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #275 on: 11 April 2017, 03:37:05 »
Strv2000 (T140/40) (page in Swedish) was a serious project (if not really economically realistic...). 140mm main gun, 40mm secondary gun.

The 40mm gun was added partially for AA duties but primarily because it could only fit ~30 main gun rounds.

DoctorMonkey

• Captain
  • user briefly known as Khan of Clan Sex Panther
« Reply #276 on: 11 April 2017, 05:28:18 »
I think there are some Western but non-British or American post-WW2 tanks that have had a 20mm cannon as a secondary weapon and some Israeli ones have had a 60mm mortar

The ability of British rifled cannon to offer a greater variety of ammunition types for engaging lightly armoured or unarmoured vehicles has meant they do not need a secondary cannon and the American tanks use a .50cal heavy machine gun instead

There are lots of compromises and what works for one doctrine will not be ideal for another
Avatar stollen from spacebattles.com motivational posters thread

ChanMan: "Capellan Ingenuity: The ability to lose battles to Davion forces in new and implausible ways"

CDAT

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #277 on: 11 April 2017, 05:57:17 »
As a former tanker, I like the idea of the Coax being a 20/25mm. Using the M1 (what I have experience with) if you swapped the 7.62mm Coax for the 25mm (as I understand the original plan was for), this give you something to take out the light armored vehicles with and saves you main gun ammo (that is the most limited) for use on major targets. If you have to deal with crunchies you still have the loaders 7.62mm, and the commanders 12.7mm (.50 BMG) in addition to the 25mm and/or main gun with anti-personnel rounds. So the only draw back that I see is you will have less ammo for the loaders MG and Coax as right now they share the same. And if you go with the wrong size it is a new round in the inventory. I would go with the 25mm so it would use the same ammo as the Bradley, and think it would improve the effectiveness of the tank, but that may just be me and the issues we had of running out of main gun ammo.

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
  • Reimu sees what you have done.
« Reply #278 on: 11 April 2017, 06:28:05 »
I think there are some Western but non-British or American post-WW2 tanks that have had a 20mm cannon as a secondary weapon and some Israeli ones have had a 60mm mortar
AMX-30 had a coax 20mm, though it also doesn't have much in the way of armor plating - it'll use that cannon at much longer ranges against air and soft targets than a typical tank would with its machineguns.  Independent elevation up to 40 degrees IIRC, it seemed like a pretty useful setup and would have utterly minced infantry attacks...

T-72M2 Moderna also had two Oerlikon 20mm autocannon, one on each side of the turret that were independent from the main gun, for AA work when you didn't have available support.  Also, more infantry mincemeat.

Slovak setup, never got bought or went into production past a few prototypes with ERA as well as the guns.
Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Jadefalke Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr!

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #279 on: 11 April 2017, 11:16:12 »
That looks like something Hasbro would design.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #280 on: 11 April 2017, 12:02:49 »
T-72M2 Moderna also had two Oerlikon 20mm autocannon, one on each side of the turret that were independent from the main gun, for AA work when you didn't have available support.  Also, more infantry mincemeat.

Slovak setup, never got bought or went into production past a few prototypes with ERA as well as the guns.
actually, that is the T-72M1 version. the M2 version downgraded to a single 30mm with a better turret mount.

IIRC, both are based off field mods the soviets tried during the early Chechnya conflicts.

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs
« Reply #281 on: 11 April 2017, 15:15:51 »

A Matilda I Infantry Tank next to its last evolutionary descendant the Black Prince Infantry Tank, itself based on the Churchill.
Ghost Bears: Cute and cuddly. Until you remember its a BLOODY BEAR!

Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs - https://thezhukovau.wordpress.com/

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #282 on: 11 April 2017, 21:53:07 »
Wasn't the Black Prince just a Churchill VII with a Centurion turret?

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

The Eagle

• Captain
  • This is what peak performance looks like!
« Reply #283 on: 11 April 2017, 22:27:06 »

Oh no.  The Prince was based on the Churchill VII hull, sure, but they had to widen and lengthen the hull in order to fit the turret and ammunition.  They also up-armored the hell out of it without re-engining it, which resulted in a max speed somewhere around 10-12 mph.  The turret was a unique development not associated, as far as I'm aware at least, with any other tank; the Centurion I's turret (which was in parallel development) had a longer overhang at the back and mounted that ridiculous 20mm coax.  In terms of pure aesthetics, the Black Prince's turret looks exceedingly similar to the Comet's turret.
RIP Dan Schulz, 09 November 2009.  May the Albatross ever fly high.

Hit me up for BattleTech in the WV Panhandle!

DoctorMonkey

• Captain
  • user briefly known as Khan of Clan Sex Panther
« Reply #284 on: 12 April 2017, 01:35:06 »
Later in the War, the British tank design focus seemed to be mostly focused on putting a 17 pounder gun on... everything/anything

I think the biggest change soon after the war was a shift to better engines for tanks, with diesel rather than lighter fuels and ones designed for the work rather than adapted aero engines
Avatar stollen from spacebattles.com motivational posters thread

ChanMan: "Capellan Ingenuity: The ability to lose battles to Davion forces in new and implausible ways"

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #285 on: 12 April 2017, 01:57:20 »
British WW2 tanks seemed to have been built with providing the option of having no armor or having no speed.

And, ironically, it was an American rather than British tank that they were the most successful at fitting a 17 pounder on.

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #286 on: 12 April 2017, 04:31:20 »

The Eagle and Money Loving beat me to it but yeah the BP whilst based on the Churchill was longer and wider and with thicker armour. The turret was entirely new and built to take the 17lber gun.  Sadly the tank was about 3 years too late and was not produced as the Centurion outclassed it.

Feenix74

• Captain
  • Lam's Phoenix Hawks
« Reply #287 on: 12 April 2017, 05:14:26 »
Speaking of Centurion tanks, here is the one on display at the Australian War Memorial in Canberra.

Incoming fire has the right of way.

The only thing more accurate than incoming enemy fire is incoming friendly fire.

Always remember that your weapon was built by the lowest bidder.

- excepts from Murphy's Laws of Combat

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #288 on: 12 April 2017, 05:55:23 »
Didn't the Auzzies nuke one of their tanks and then keep it in service afterwards?

Simon Landmine

• Lieutenant
  • Enthusiastic mapmaker
« Reply #289 on: 12 April 2017, 06:19:42 »
British WW2 tanks seemed to have been built with providing the option of having no armor or having no speed.

Yep, that was a conscious design decision - the concept was that either they were Infantry tanks (intended to roll slowly along as a heavily armoured mobile pill-box to support an infantry advance) or Cruiser tanks (which would charge gallantly like the mounted cavalry of old, protected solely by bravado and derring-do). Notably, in the traditional armour/speed/firepower triangle, both tended to forget the firepower, too ...
"That's Lieutenant Faceplant to you, Corporal!"

Things that I have learnt through clicking too fast on 'Move Done' on MegaMek: Double-check the CF of the building before jumping onto it, check artillery arrival times before standing in the neighbouring hex, and don't run across your own minefield.

"Hmm, I wonder if I can turn this into a MM map."

Feenix74

• Captain
  • Lam's Phoenix Hawks
« Reply #290 on: 12 April 2017, 06:23:54 »
Incoming fire has the right of way.

The only thing more accurate than incoming enemy fire is incoming friendly fire.

Always remember that your weapon was built by the lowest bidder.

- excepts from Murphy's Laws of Combat

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #291 on: 12 April 2017, 07:14:24 »
Notably, in the traditional armour/speed/firepower triangle, both tended to forget the firepower, too ...

I have to disagree here, for the time the 2lber gun was a very very good AT weapon.  What was lacking was a broad view of doctrine.  They seemed to forget that anti-tank guns were a thing.  And whilst the Matilda was near immune to German AT guns until the 88 started getting used, it was, as was said, designed to support the infantry.  Thus have chaps with it who could shoot at the gunners of an AT gun, or better yet, have artillery support to flatten any AT gun positions.

HobbesHurlbut

• Captain
  • Live Free or Die Hard
« Reply #292 on: 12 April 2017, 07:19:35 »
I have to disagree here, for the time the 2lber gun was a very very good AT weapon.  What was lacking was a broad view of doctrine.  They seemed to forget that anti-tank guns were a thing.  And whilst the Matilda was near immune to German AT guns until the 88 started getting used, it was, as was said, designed to support the infantry.  Thus have chaps with it who could shoot at the gunners of an AT gun, or better yet, have artillery support to flatten any AT gun positions.
What the 88 gave the german was long-range penetrative power. Tanks with light armor were getting taken out at much longer range when the 88 could get a line of sight of them.
Clan Blood Spirit - So Bad Ass as to require Orbital Bombardments to wipe us out....it is the only way to be sure!

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #293 on: 12 April 2017, 07:26:01 »
Indeed but until then a Matilda II (hell even the Matilda I) was very very tough to kill frontally, being near immine to the 37mm gun at all but point blank range. 

It was more a doctrinal myopia that affected the UK's AFV programme.  A case of;

"This tank will do this and ONLY this. "
"But what if we need it to do that?"
"um..well....keep calm and carry on I guess."

And thats why we used Cavalry tanks against troops and AT guns and Infantry tanks were often used as an assault tank or to engage other tanks.  The Germans also KIND of did this.  The Panzer IV started off as an infantry support vehicle with its short 75mm being a HE lobber.  The Panzer III was designed to engage hostile tanks, the IV was built as infantry support. 

HobbesHurlbut

• Captain
  • Live Free or Die Hard
« Reply #294 on: 12 April 2017, 08:28:39 »
Indeed but until then a Matilda II (hell even the Matilda I) was very very tough to kill frontally, being near immine to the 37mm gun at all but point blank range. 

It was more a doctrinal myopia that affected the UK's AFV programme.  A case of;

"This tank will do this and ONLY this. "
"But what if we need it to do that?"
"um..well....keep calm and carry on I guess."

And thats why we used Cavalry tanks against troops and AT guns and Infantry tanks were often used as an assault tank or to engage other tanks.  The Germans also KIND of did this.  The Panzer IV started off as an infantry support vehicle with its short 75mm being a HE lobber.  The Panzer III was designed to engage hostile tanks, the IV was built as infantry support.
And because of the bigger turret ring on IV, they started using it more than III when they keep upgunning them.
Clan Blood Spirit - So Bad Ass as to require Orbital Bombardments to wipe us out....it is the only way to be sure!

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #295 on: 12 April 2017, 08:51:46 »
Aye the III's growth wasn't quite so much as the IV which was far more adaptable. :)

Kidd

• Major
« Reply #296 on: 12 April 2017, 09:26:53 »
I have to disagree here, for the time the 2lber gun was a very very good AT weapon.  What was lacking was a broad view of doctrine.  They seemed to forget that anti-tank guns were a thing.  And whilst the Matilda was near immune to German AT guns until the 88 started getting used, it was, as was said, designed to support the infantry.
uh... IMHO the 2lber did well against the 2nd-line Panzer IIs and IIIs of the Afrika Korps, and Italian tankettes, but it was definitely obsolete before '44.

Practically none of the WW2 tanks would be considered "good" by modern standards - even the vaunted Sherman and T-34, lets face it, inflicted death by zergling swarm.

Simon Landmine

• Lieutenant
  • Enthusiastic mapmaker
« Reply #297 on: 12 April 2017, 09:27:53 »
I have to disagree here, for the time the 2lber gun was a very very good AT weapon.

Fair point.
"That's Lieutenant Faceplant to you, Corporal!"

Things that I have learnt through clicking too fast on 'Move Done' on MegaMek: Double-check the CF of the building before jumping onto it, check artillery arrival times before standing in the neighbouring hex, and don't run across your own minefield.

"Hmm, I wonder if I can turn this into a MM map."

Arkansas Warrior

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #298 on: 12 April 2017, 10:30:06 »
uh... IMHO the 2lber did well against the 2nd-line Panzer IIs and IIIs of the Afrika Korps, and Italian tankettes, but it was definitely obsolete before '44.

Practically none of the WW2 tanks would be considered "good" by modern standards - even the vaunted Sherman and T-34, lets face it, inflicted death by zergling swarm.
The 'vaunted' Sherman?  Everything I've ever heard is that the Sherman was a deathtrap, and only ever accomplished anything in Europe by dint of numbers.  The Pacific went better for it, but only because Japanese tanks were even more awful.
Sunrise is Coming.

All Hail First Prince Melissa Davion, the Patron Saint of the Regimental Combat Team, who cowed Dainmar Liao, created the Model Army, and rescued Robinson!  May her light ever guide the sons of the Suns, May our daughters ever endeavour to emulate her!

Dave Talley

• Major
« Reply #299 on: 12 April 2017, 10:46:17 »
yeah, but the guy who wrote the death trap book only worked in a repair depot, all
he saw was the bad cases, anything field repairable wasnt sent to the depot

the russians loved it for its dependability, its armor was decent, speed was decent, but it always ran
Resident Smartass since 1998
“Toe jam in training”

Because while the other Great Houses of the Star League thought they were playing chess, House Cameron was playing Paradox-Billiards-Vostroyan-Roulette-Fourth Dimensional-Hypercube-Chess-Strip Poker the entire time.
JA Baker

Register